homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 57)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone said Palan's husband i a commercial fisherman. Not quite true. He helps with a family fishing business, but his full-time job is as an oil company production operator. Not quite as folksy.

The guy who's firing she's being investigated for isn't the only person she's apparently fired for personal reaons. In 1997 she fired the police chief of Wassillia, and the director of the library, apparently (at least in the case of the police chief) for supporting her opponant in the election.

In 2007 she replaced the entire Board of Agriculture and Conservation, apparently because of a disagreement over the closing of a dairy. The new board that she appointed reversed the decision to close the dairy, which subsiquently was closed and put up for sale anyway.

Info from here

Except for the part about her husband which is from here.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
In 2007 she replaced the entire Board of Agriculture and Conservation, apparently because of a disagreement over the closing of a dairy. The new board that she appointed reversed the decision to close the dairy, which subsiquently was closed and put up for sale anyway.

... after much outrage from the public over the pending closure.

and remember, too, that that board was appointed by and of the same crowd that are under heavy investigation by the FBI.

the dairy board aren't the only ones she gave marching orders to. a whole lot of Murkowski's cronies got their walking papers.

firing a position that is a political appointment, incl, the wasilla police chief, is hardly front page news. and if it's the police chief I'm thinking it was, it was the only choice she could have made, as he is the most crooked and creepy guy I've ever had to interview. and I say this as someone who has interviewed convicted murderers.

Todd (aka the "First Dude") has worked for the oil companies long before Sarah had much political clout.

Seriously, I'm not finding the scandal here. I disagree with much of her politics, but it doesn't make her dirty.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

... after much outrage from the public over the pending closure.
rats, missed my edit window. of course I meant that the outrage came after the first board was going to close the dairy. opponents wanted other options tried first before they closed it, such as diversification plans or debt consolidation, etc. the first board refused to investigate those. the second board did. and yes, it closed anyway while at the same time a new private one opened with a business plan based on the information that came out in the interim.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
... so just who are you going to vote for again?

(me thinketh the lady doth gusheth a little tooo much [Biased] )

S-E

bite me.

Obama. but it might just hurt a little.

I don't normally like to do double quotes, but I know this will appear on the next page so I'm going to do it...

It shouldn't hurt. By all reports Alaska has a very good governor--but if she becomes VP Alaska loses that. VP is at best a holding pattern for talented people. For the non-talented it is (usually) a safe position. If McCain wins and survives, it is likely she will be LESS busy and utilized than she was as Alaska's governor.

Of course, if she becomes President that changes. But it is (at best) a crap shoot.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Governor Palin's statement just weeks ago that she's not quite sure what the Vice President does doesn't ease my qualms.

I know what you mean, but in all fairness a lot of people who actually served as Vice President could make the same statement. In potential the Vice President is everything. In reality, she will be what McCain lets her be.

At least she will look good going to funerals...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I disagree with much of her politics, but it doesn't make her dirty.

I didn't say it made her dirty. Nothing seems to have been illegal (with the possible exception of what she's being investigated for now, of course.) It does, however, give an insight into her personality, and not, imho, a very edifying one. ymmv.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
[...] personally, I think she was crazy to say yes. Her little boy was born in May, for christ's sake!

That's gonna be a brilliant and very worthwhile argument against her, and thus Mr McWhatshisname, methinks. [Cool]
By the same argument (and stronger), Biden should have dropped out of politics after the loss of his first wife in the car accident which killed their baby and injured both their sons. This happened a month before he was to take office and he considered leaving politics to raise his boys but, no, he was sworn in at the hospital bedside of his children (both fully recovered in time).

Sauce for the gander.

I like that her high school nickname (from competing in basketball, yes?) was "Sarah Baracuda"-- [Big Grin] I haven't known much about her and I was disappointed when Bobby Jindal recused himself from consideration so I was genuinely surprised at the surge of excitement and delight that I felt when I heard the news of her selection; quite taken aback.

I wanted to come and see comet's thoughts on the matter... [Biased]
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
But what about the life expectancy of someone who is age 72 and has had three or four melanomas?

He is being more reticent than one would expect about releasing medical information. Usually, of course, I think someone's medical records are none of anyone's business, any more than their tax records are. But you do give up a certain amount of privacy when you are running for president.

Josephine, he released hundreds of pages back in 2000 when he was running for the nomination against Bush; he released all the data since that time earlier this year. He's been incredibly forthcoming, at least more so than Obama, and isn't that the point? Young man concealing medical records versus old guy revealing them, warts and all? (--is O still smoking?--)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It's not at all uncommon for a Senator (or a Congresscritter) to miss votes through being in a committee meeting or back in the home district opening a bridge (among many reasons)...

There aren't that many bridges in Arizona!
There's always London Bridge [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops - McCain released some 1500 pages back in 1999 and apparently 400 pages more covering 2000 to the present, back in May, fwiw.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Of course, the more people dismiss the duly elected governor of a state as a "chick," the more likely I am to vote for her.

What would you prefer I call her? I would have gone with cunt, going by her beliefs, but I thought I'd be polite.
Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by The Atheist:
[Boy, what a gentleman-like thing to say. I guess I stand in line as another C word since I share Palin's politics. At least I am in good company. I would really like to have a beer with her. She rocks.

[i][eta: I am cracking open can of Miller Draft and waiting for VP Palin to join me...two cs together, discussing...oh hell it will never happen, but I can dream can't it, dang it...]

[ 31. August 2008, 03:16: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh dear I really messed up the code on that post. could some host help? I am sorry about that.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Daddy told me profanity was the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully. A very astute observation for an uneducated farm boy.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
There's always London Bridge [Big Grin]

But that opened long before McCain was a Senator. Hardly an excuse for him missing well over half of the votes in the Senate.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
My Daddy told me profanity was the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully. A very astute observation for an uneducated farm boy.

Dear me. I must have a very weak mind then, 'coz I swear an awful lot. And I'm an educated farmboy, so I guess one of us is talking shit.
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since Daddy (Pbuh) has been dead these many years, that leaves only one talking.

--------------------

The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

S'ok, I know what you mean:

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Boy, what a gentleman-like thing to say. I guess I stand in line as another C word since I share Palin's politics. At least I am in good company. I would really like to have a beer with her. She rocks.

Nah; you're welcome to think the same way she does, but you'd only qualify for "cunt" status if you were standing for public office and looking to force your beliefs onto others.

I'm just glad she thinks that way, because as the NYT link showed, it's going to turn off women who might have voted for her on a gender bias.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm getting bored with the discussion, but this just pissed me off:
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
Nah; you're welcome to think the same way she does, but you'd only qualify for "cunt" status if you were standing for public office and looking to force your beliefs onto others.

where has Sarah done that? show me. if her beliefs are that of transparent ethical government, fair enough. if her beliefs are that when she's in office, her administration needs to be marching to the same beat, fair enough.

are you talking her beliefs on abortion, same sex marriage, or similar? 'cause she has done nothing to force anyone to agree with her.

see, this is where I think you all down south just dont have the fucking clue to save your own souls with. just because someone personally have a certain set of beliefs, that doesn't mean they're going to try and force feed those beliefs to you. Up here, we believe in letting our neighbors go to hell in their own way. (with a few very annoying exceptions) Sarah hasn't once tried to force her religious beliefs on the people of Alaska.

it's just beyond bizarre how much you lot are projecting.

oh and further, if Sarah is a "cunt" for her beliefs, I'd like to hear your labels for McCain and the rest. and they'd better be related to their own genitalia.

wow. by your fruits you shall know them... and you lot need to get into the 21st century and let mama out of the kitchen.

No wonder this country is so fucked up.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, don't blame us all for the behaviour of a few. This isn't a down here / up there thing.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm getting bored with the discussion, but this just pissed me off:
quote:

oh and further, if Sarah is a "cunt" for her beliefs, I'd like to hear your labels for McCain and the rest. and they'd better be related to their own genitalia.
I think McCain could easily be called a prick

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why can't Mr. Mom do it? [Confused]

Raising a child is difficult. Raising a severely disabled child requires the full attention of all available parents. Sometimes circumstances demand that a parent of such a child be unavailable. This is not one of those situations, as far as I can see.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Comet,

Are you now going to try to take back my prize for the "Thread's Most Sexist Remark"?

It's mine now, and I'm keeping it even though I don't think that I deserved it. The remark was intended to be tongue in cheek, directed at Sen. McCain, who is widely described as having a "bimbo" (their word) fetish (my word).

Greta

stagflation
Apprentice
# 14061

- Posted      Profile for stagflation   Email stagflation   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By that standard Cameron should resign to look after son. His care for his son and the insight it has given him into the other half, or other 99% in his case, allows me to see his smug visage and not throw up. Why should other committments on your time disqualify you from political office. palin's politics should be the reason to strand her on an ice floe not the number of chromosomes her son Trig has. Or perhaps the fact she gave her son the name trig, the dope must have been strong in Alaska.

--------------------
so that's what i think, y'know

Posts: 16 | From: kent | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

quote:
are you talking her beliefs on abortion, same sex marriage, or similar? 'cause she has done nothing to force anyone to agree with her.

Ah, so she's just taking on the job of Veep to be a spokesperson and not looking to have any input into policy?

That is good news.

quote:
see, this is where I think you all down south just dont have the fucking clue to save your own souls with. just because someone personally have a certain set of beliefs, that doesn't mean they're going to try and force feed those beliefs to you.

That's lucky, given that these are her beliefs:

She is a fierce opponent of abortion and same-sex marriage. She supports the death penalty and the teaching of creationism in schools. Palin is an enthusiast for the outdoors and a gun owner, and is opposed to environmental restrictions on drilling in Alaska.

From the Guardian

They did miss her opposition to stem cell research.

But you're very sure she won't be pushing those barrows at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Yeah, right.

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Stagflation wrote: By that standard Cameron should resign to look after son.
No one is saying that politicians who have disabled children should resign or not be able to run for office. What has been suggested is that to some voters, it doesn't reflect well on on a politician's judgment freely to undertake the role of Vice President four months after having a disabled child -- especially one with a much higher chance of needing very serious medical treatment in the first years of his life. Given Governor Palin's admission that she's not really sure what the Vice President does, it suggests to me that she doesn't appreciate the commitment that's required.

quote:
Stagflation wrote: Why should other committments on your time disqualify you from political office.
If you're talking about running for mayor or even Governor, you have much more control as an executive to balance your official duties and "other commitments on your time." That's a lot less true for legislative positions where you have no say at all over your schedule. And if you're President of the United States, you can't have "other commitments on your time." Being followed around by a guy carrying The Football is, sad to say, pretty much a 24/7 gig.
Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Ah, so she's just taking on the job of Veep to be a spokesperson and not looking to have any input into policy?
[...]
But you're very sure she won't be pushing those barrows at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Yeah, right.

Here's what comet said on the previous page:
quote:
Palin is pro-life, true, but it has never come up here. some legislators try and pursue something every year and it always dies in committee. she certainly didn't attempt to add it to her agenda when elected. abortion just isn't a huge hot-button issue here.

she's opposed to same-sex marriage, (as is our state, as per a voter approved constitutional amendment) [...] but she did approve same-sex couple's state benefits, which again annoyed the shit out of the GOP.

Based on that, it sounds to me like Palin's much more moderate than is being portrayed generally. That's not to say she'll ignore those issues, but she might not press them as hard as her opponents fear or her supporters would wish. Is there any evidence she's tried to push for teaching creationism in schools, for instance?

Btw, I find comet a more credible source on this issue than most of the media, because:
  1. She's actually living there and has a better sense of how Alaskans think than most outsiders.
  2. She's a journalist and has been following Palin's career for some time.
  3. She's not a fan of the current Republicans, will be voting against Palin, and has no political axe to grind.
YMMV.

[ 31. August 2008, 08:26: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
By the same argument (and stronger), Biden should have dropped out of politics after the loss of his first wife in the car accident which killed their baby and injured both their sons. This happened a month before he was to take office and he considered leaving politics to raise his boys but, no, he was sworn in at the hospital bedside of his children (both fully recovered in time).

Sauce for the gander.

I like that her high school nickname (from competing in basketball, yes?) was "Sarah Baracuda"-- [Big Grin]

quote:
Comet: Seriously- this is no sweet and innocent little thing, she can be ferocious.
I'm in agreement with the "sauce for the gander" statement.

I don't expect women to give up their career to care for a child, disabled or not, anymore than I expect a man to do it and in the case of big oil millionaires, I doubt if it's Mrs. or Mr. Mom raising the kids at all but rather Mrs Nanny and Mr Nurse. I'm sure much will be made in the Right-to-Life groups over Palin deciding to keep her last pregnancy even after tests indicated that her child would have Downs Syndrome. It's a far different choice for a poor woman with no help and little money. But that was the Palins' choice, and it doesn't concern me.

Where I apply the "sauce for the gander," is over the idea of a world leader who was so ruthless on the sporting field as to be called a baracuda, and so angry now, as to be called ferocious, or, particularly, someone whose idea of a relaxing hobby is to get a rifle and go shoot large peaceful mammals in the head. (Moose hunting.)

Bad temper, macho swaggering and gung-ho militantism are the reasons I would hesitate to vote for McCain and adding a version of himself in a dress to the ticket won't change my mind.

Sauce for the goose.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Is there any evidence she's tried to push for teaching creationism in schools, for instance?

I don't know about pushing but she's on record saying both 'evolution' and 'creationism' should be taught as competing theories:

quote:
The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the state's public classrooms. Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."
It could be she has an informed and nuanced position recognizing the theory of Natural Selection doesn't speak to the creation of the universe and the media isn't picking up on her subtlety.

Alternatively, she could be an ignorant and arrogant hick conspiring to indoctrinate innocent schoolchildren with her 'faith'. You know: like some atheists.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More historical context from your humble reporter.

You're welcome.

quote:
The guy who's firing she's being investigated for isn't the only person she's apparently fired for personal reaons.

June 13, 2003

quote:
Then there was former White House administrator David Watkins. He told the grand jury that Clinton told him, before the KPMG audit was completed, "Well, you know, we need to have our people in there." Watkins later wrote that both he and McLarty "knew that there would be hell to pay if ... we failed to take swift and decisive action in conformity with the first lady's wishes."

After Clinton's pressuring, Watkins fired the Travel Office workers in May 1993. Watkins wrote that when he told McLarty, the chief of staff "clearly was relieved."

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Where I apply the "sauce for the gander," is over the idea of a world leader who was so ruthless on the sporting field as to be called a baracuda, and so angry now, as to be called ferocious, or, particularly, someone whose idea of a relaxing hobby is to get a rifle and go shoot large peaceful mammals in the head. (Moose hunting.)

Bad temper, macho swaggering and gung-ho militantism are the reasons I would hesitate to vote for McCain and adding a version of himself in a dress to the ticket won't change my mind.

Sauce for the goose.

October 21, 2004

quote:
John Kerry brought his campaign for president to a duck blind here in far eastern Ohio Thursday morning, and while he did manage to clip one goose, he was really aiming for undecided voters in this battleground state. Senior adviser Mike McCurry was quite direct this week in saying that the two-hour predawn hunting trip was another attempt to get voters to know Kerry, who has had some issues with his so-called likeability factor. Kerry also has been talking about his Catholic faith more, and on Sunday he will give a speech on values.
(BTW, mt: one of the reasons I'm doing this is to remind myself what an insufferable boor I can be.

It seems there's no end to it. [Hot and Hormonal] )

Swish
Shipmate
# 8566

- Posted      Profile for Swish   Email Swish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beza:
I suspect that McCain's calculation is not that Palin will attract Democrats unsure about Obama (I think he knows he can do that himself) but that she will get the evangelical, huntin', shootin', fishin', brigades of middle America, who put Bush in the Whitehouse, to go to the polls. The big fear for the Republicans is that they will simply not bother to vote, Palin might change that.

There is something of Thatcher about Palin, a non-feminist who nonetheless likes bossing men around and for different reasons that could make her a big hit with both men and women. Anecdotal evidence suggests that many women who deplored Thatcher's policies, were secretly delighted that she gave male politicians and trade unionists a good kicking for ten years or so.

I've been thinking about this and while I agree that it might boost the Middle America vote you mentioned, I don't think that was the intention. If it was, then there are much more well known proponents of that. As much as I might dislike Huckabee's politics, I do have respect for him and would have thought that he was the more obvious VP candidate for the conservative rallying. That and I hoped McCain would follow Vinnicks lead by selecting a conservative base VP, just as Obama followed Santos by appointing an older Washington insider.

I came across this poll today, which is very interesting. Suggests that any gender bounce McCain might have been expecting isn't happening.

--------------------
Sorry Ted. I was concentrating too hard on looking holy.

Posts: 114 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't see anyone (at the moment, granted) calling McCain irresponsible for running for office as a "nearly-dead". (another local jargon - those who ride cruise ships are the "newly wed or nearly dead" - I'm not trying to be OTT ageist.)

You did say "at the moment, granted," but I'd point out that McCain's age has come up on this thread and add that it is discussed all the time in the political discussions I hear.

quote:
Lots of people say Obama is the most likely target of assassination than any pol since Reagan. should he step down because it might literally kill him?
Fear that Obama would be assassinated kept some black people from supporting Obama early in the primaries. One of my co-workers is black and said when Obama secured the nomination back in June, all the black people on her bus home were talking about how worried they were that he would be assassinated.

So really, be fair -- people have considered these things.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
Alternatively, she could be an ignorant and arrogant hick conspiring to indoctrinate innocent schoolchildren with her 'faith'. You know: like some atheists.

I'm hoping that was an attempted joke, because the fantasy that atheism is a faith system is a really lame attempt to smear atheism with the same faith requirement as theism.

Quite why theists should be so uncertain of their own faith that they must do that, I cannot understand.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Killing me] There are no true atheists - they're simply agnostics in denial.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
I'm hoping that was an attempted joke, because the fantasy that atheism is a faith system is a really lame attempt to smear atheism with the same faith requirement as theism.

Either that, or it's an accurate assessment.

Go ahead: prove to me God doesn't exist. Show me the 'evidence' you rely on for your bold assertion, and your derogatory treatment of theists.

If you don't want to derail this thread (it doesn't matter to me but some are kind of touchy about it), feel free to start a new one.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(BTW, mt: one of the reasons I'm doing this is to remind myself what an insufferable boor I can be.

It seems there's no end to it. [Hot and Hormonal] )

Have you considered getting a blog for that purpose?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The more I think about Palin's nomination, the more condescending it seems. I picture a room full of Republican men saying, "The little gals want a woman -- let's give 'em one!" As though all we care about is gender and we won't notice that what they've given us is the Anti-Feminist.
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Have you considered getting a blog for that purpose?

I did say that was just one of the reasons. Anyway, been there, done that: kind of felt like I was talking in a vacuum. Here, you often get some response and egos like mine like being fed.

Please ignore my posts if they don't meet your standards.

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
One of my co-workers is black and said when Obama secured the nomination back in June, all the black people on her bus home were talking about how worried they were that he would be assassinated.

So really, be fair -- people have considered these things.

I've considered it carefully which is one reason the Dems have a better slate - Biden has real experience and I can take him seriously.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

quote:
Go ahead: prove to me God doesn't exist.

What rubbish is this? Which atheist claims to be able to prove the non-existence of god/s?

quote:
Show me the 'evidence' you rely on for your bold assertion,...

Which "bold assertion" is this?

My only assertion is that I do not believe in any gods. I'd find it hard to present evidence for that point of view, since all I have to present is a study of the "evidence" for the existence of various gods, combined with the fact that I don't find any of it believable.

Do you actually know what an atheist is?

quote:
... and your derogatory treatment of theists.

That is more easily explained.

I find it incredibly arrogant to think that in the entirety of the universe that humans are some kind of chosen species and that a god created the that universe for our sole benefit.

Secondly; like Einstein, I find the belief in gods to be quite infantile.

Third; there is enormous evidence for gods being human constructs, and unless you'd like to argue for all of the thousands of gods I'm guessing you don't believe in, you ought to be able to see it as well.

Accordingly, I find derision the only acceptable answer.

quote:
If you don't want to derail this thread (it doesn't matter to me but some are kind of touchy about it), feel free to start a new one.

I'll leave that to you - there isn't much more to say on the subject as far as I can tell, but if you wish, let me know where the thread is.

And to go back to the subject, the Times has a good piece on Palin the cunt for those who haven't seen it:

Even her own mother-in-law won't vote for her!

Plus, the first evidence of flip-flop.

Excellent!

[ 31. August 2008, 20:39: Message edited by: The Atheist ]

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Which atheist claims to be able to prove the non-existence of god/s?

My bad, I guess, as ISTM you're now acknowledging yours is a faith based position. We're cool: brothers in agnosticism.

quote:

Do you actually know what an atheist is?

Nope, although I still have this sneaking hunch there are a lot less of them than is alleged.

quote:
I find it incredibly arrogant to think that in the entirety of the universe that humans are some kind of chosen species and that a god created the that universe for our sole benefit.

Secondly; like Einstein, I find the belief in gods to be quite infantile.

Third; there is enormous evidence for gods being human constructs, and unless you'd like to argue for all of the thousands of gods I'm guessing you don't believe in, you ought to be able to see it as well.

Accordingly, I find derision the only acceptable answer.

I find myself partial to derision also: we DO have a lot in common.

Einstein and us, that's wot I say.

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

...or not. Looks like McCain's cancelling the first day of the big bash. Widely expected, and gives an easy way for the McCain crowd to uninvite Bush and Cheney without disturbing the majority of the party that still favors them.

They better not even think of extending it on the back end. It's hell enough here already.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

...or not. Looks like McCain's cancelling the first day of the big bash. Widely expected, and gives an easy way for the McCain crowd to uninvite Bush and Cheney without disturbing the majority of the party that still favors them.

They better not even think of extending it on the back end. It's hell enough here already.

getting sick of all those conservatives in the Twin Cities????

I feel for you! [Projectile]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

and of course, it can give the appearance that Bush actually cares about the Hurricane on the Gulf Coast this time

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Of course, the more people dismiss the duly elected governor of a state as a "chick," the more likely I am to vote for her.

Yeah, me too. Funny how that works...

I have no issues with Gov. Palin being a working mother, or choosing to have and cherish a Down Syndrome baby, or being an ex-beauty queen, or even for having the mistaken impression that vice presidents of the United States don't do much. (They're in charge of torture and cronyism, aren't they?)

I would like to know a little more about how her apparently very conservative variety of Christianity affects her work. I have no problems with her belief system, but I'd be interested in how she applies it to those who do not necessarily agree.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

The ad hoc posting on this thread from you, the Atheist, is pretty uncivilized in regards to calling a woman politician "a cunt since you disagree with her politics since she forces them (?) on people", I guess by the mere fact she is governoress of AK.

As to her own mother-in-law disagreeing with her and going on record in the media with that...newsflash...not the first time a mother-in-law has taken a media stab at her daughter-in-law in the history of mankind. It proves nothing but that perhaps the mother-in-law is not too found of the mother of her 5 grandbabies.

It would take much more than that to convince me Mrs. Palin is a cunt - calling her that is helpful and productive for swaying peoples's opinion of her?

I think not.

Suit yourself.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Nicolemrw's Wikipedia link:
quote:
However, when asked about climate change after becoming Senator McCain's presumptive running mate, she stated that it would "affect Alaska more than any other state", but she does not "attribute it to being man-made"
So? Climate change is an established fact; anthropogenic climate change is not. The surface of the sun has become hotter. There's not a lot we can do about that. (And of course I am still in favor of reducing anything that might contribute to anthropogenic climate change.)

and
quote:
In a televised debate, Palin supported teaching both creationism and evolution in public schools. The next day she clarified her position to one of allowing the debate of alternative views and not of having creationism in the curriculum
I'm in favor of "allowing the debate of alternative views." I hope all reasonable people are.
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
My Daddy told me profanity was the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully. ...

My parents have always held that it was the sign of a poor vocabulary.

I see nothing in The Atheist's posts to make me disagree with either statement, however. And atheism really is just another form of faith. (Has he been called to Hell for his obscene put-downs of women yet?)
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... Where I apply the "sauce for the gander," is over the idea of a world leader who was so ruthless on the sporting field as to be called a baracuda, and so angry now, as to be called ferocious, or, particularly, someone whose idea of a relaxing hobby is to get a rifle and go shoot large peaceful mammals in the head. (Moose hunting.)...

Men are "assertive;" women who behave in exactly the same way are "aggressive." Men are "winners;" women are "barracudas."

Phyllis Schlafly, I had no idea you were lurking on the Ship!

I suspect you've never been to Alaska (or at least to non-tour-ship Alaska). Most hunters in Alaska really hunt to put food on the table. And moose are hardly peaceful. Being a herbivore does not, alas, equal being non-violent. It's certainly not wise to get near a male during mating season.

Ross

[edited for additional clarity]

[ 31. August 2008, 23:23: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
(They're in charge of torture and cronyism, aren't they?)

Some also manage to shotgun Republican lawyers nearly to death: they can't be all bad. [Biased]
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I would like to know a little more about how her apparently very conservative variety of Christianity affects her work. I have no problems with her belief system, but I'd be interested in how she applies it to those who do not necessarily agree.
Ross

I haven't seen anything about her religious affiliation except "Christian." Does anyone know more about it?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

quote:
The ad hoc posting on this thread from you, the Atheist, is pretty uncivilized in regards to calling a woman politician "a cunt since you disagree with her politics since she forces them (?) on people", I guess by the mere fact she is governoress of AK.

If you were following the discussion, I did start out calling her a "chick", which pretty much sums up the lightweight, fluffy, ignorant female that she clearly is. Someone objected to "chick", so I've moved to "cunt".

That she is Governor of Alaska (I saw her called a "governess" somewhere there other day, which is pretty funny) makes no mind either way to me.

She is already suspected of abusing her power, she's been shown to flip-flop (the bridge) - I see nothing of substance to change my mind on her.

quote:
As to her own mother-in-law disagreeing with her and going on record in the media with that...newsflash...not the first time a mother-in-law has taken a media stab at her daughter-in-law in the history of mankind. It proves nothing but that perhaps the mother-in-law is not too found of the mother of her 5 grandbabies.

Sure, most mothers-in-law hate their sons' woces by default, but it isn't a great look to have mum-in-law saying she'll vote for the other team. A good politician ought to be persuasive & believeable enough to get family members on board.

quote:
It would take much more than that to convince me Mrs. Palin is a cunt - calling her that is helpful and productive for swaying peoples's opinion of her?

I think not.

Suit yourself.

And I would care because....

I'm not trying to sway anyone - I think McCain's done that merely by picking her; an excellent choice.

quote:
And atheism really is just another form of faith. (Has he been called to Hell for his obscene put-downs of women yet?)

Oh, please do!

I'm looking forward to testing my limited vocabulary on an abstract professor, or adjunct professor of English, or whatever else it is that you claim to be. You should find it a piece of cake.

I'll keep a lookout in Hell. (maybe we can cover the idiotic notion that atheism is a form of faith as well - because the charge says a lot more about theists' unstable beliefs than it says anything about atheists)

Cheers.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

I apologize for my previous indiscrete digressions, reserving the right for more: sometimes I just get carried away.

I thought this was interesting:

quote:
Senator McCain has found a running-mate who is not a neocon, which is a subtype of Washington intellectual, but a genuine conservative. The Reagan majorities in the elections of 1980 and 1984 were built on such conservative voters; many would still describe themselves as “Reagan Republicans”.
I've heard it suggested a 'true' conservative plays well with much of America: rolling back federal influence, letting people live and let live, something in the Barry Goldwater tradition.

Reagan, for whatever reasons, won handily. Time will tell if Palin fits the mold.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
She attends an Assemblies of God church, and I'll say no more.

Greta

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016