homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 58)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
(maybe we can cover the idiotic notion that atheism is a form of faith as well - because the charge says a lot more about theists' unstable beliefs than it says anything about atheists)

And here I thought we had, not that my beliefs are necessarily stable.

So: please tell me again why what you believe isn't faith based.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
almost out of battery power on my comp, so unfortunately can't give this all the full response it deserves. (or maybe I should...)

Ruth: you're right, fair enough.

Twilight: by your judgement I'm a heartless critter-killer too. pretty interested for a born-again semi-veg. please get your head out of your ass.

whoever made the comments about religion: again, I suspect there is a cultural difference of sorts, here. (sorry MT, but I do) her church affiliation has never been an issue here. unlike the rest of the US (or so it looks from here) what church you go to does not determine whether your brain can operate on it's own without a direct ethernet cord connection to the pastor. my house rep is catholic. it's not come up in his policy at all. (he's also a complete turnip. unfortunately, that has shown up bright and shiny)

I can't tell whether to laugh or cry at your simple-minded responses, Atheist. it's just so sad that people like you get voter cards.

and MT - you're right, Ishouldn't generalize. neither should all those folks whoa re down there.

this is one hell of an education on how people will believe whatever pablum is fed to them by their nursemaid/media of preference.

[ 01. September 2008, 01:22: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I can't tell whether to laugh or cry at your simple-minded responses, Atheist. it's just so sad that people like you get voter cards.

Cheer up, I don't!

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
She attends an Assemblies of God church, and I'll say no more.

Greta

Ouch.

I'd been hoping since they first arrived here in 1970s that they would have died a natural death. I guess it proves Orwell's statement - Ignorance is Strength.

Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Atheist et al - I deeply apologize for my extreme bitchiness. this conversation and the biases it has revealed (yes, including some of my own) has been very disturbing to me.

and I'm not always good at gentility.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Twilight: by your judgement I'm a heartless critter-killer too. pretty interested for a born-again semi-veg. please get your head out of your ass.
If Palin is killing Moose "to put food on the table," as Ross seems to believe the poor woman needs to do, then that's fine with me, but if killing large mammals is just her idea of a good time, then I stand by my first statement -- I find that an unsettling quality in a possible President. I didn't like it about Cheney or any of the other hunters either.

As for you, Comet, so far on this thread you've told us that you hunt, you're a born again semi veg and that you're young and
pretty. I don't care.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something else that disturbs me about Palin:

quote:
According to the Frontiersman newspaper, Wasilla’s library director, Mary Ellen Emmons, said that Palin asked her outright if she "could live with censorship of library books.” Palin later dismissed the conversation as a “rhetorical” exercise.

From here.

This was the same library director she later fired for supporting her opponent in the election.

This gives some info, too.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
But it is (at best) a crap shoot.

Truer words were never spoken.

You do know that shooting craps with a lot of money riding on the dice is one of McCain's little foibles?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since dear Hubby spent many years in the US when his parents were working for the US Government, we've kept a reasonable watch on the whole election thing. The news about this lady has astonished the pair of us. Never heard of her. And with him as old as he is, surely the world needs someone we've at least heard of?
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She's not only Assembly of God but a dominionist.

Her children are named after characters in TV soaps.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Is there any evidence she's tried to push for teaching creationism in schools, for instance?

I don't know about pushing but she's on record saying both 'evolution' and 'creationism' should be taught as competing theories: [snip quote]
Yep, I know. [Razz]

But saying that doesn't mean she's fighting hard to implement those views. Politicians have to make a lot of speeches and chat to a lot of people - they're bound to have some views that differ sharply from yours (or mine). They might not be issues they'll focus on though.

[Not to mjg]: As for being pro-hunting - so what? It just makes her a typical Alaskan.
quote:
Todd (aka the "First Dude") has worked for the oil companies long before Sarah had much political clout.

There's no dishonesty in him working for an oil company. The trouble is that people are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them: tobacco producers disbelieved smoking caused cancer; petroleum geologists do the same with climate change. We all like to consider ourselves as 'good people', and so we discount evidence that suggests we're causing harm - especially if changing our behaviour is difficult.

Palin seems to be very much part of that culture, and therefore ideolically blind to consider it a real problem. And since McCain will have to fight most of his party on the issue anyway, fighting his VP too isn't going to help.
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Climate change is an established fact; anthropogenic climate change is not. The surface of the sun has become hotter. There's not a lot we can do about that. (And of course I am still in favor of reducing anything that might contribute to anthropogenic climate change.)

Can you think of any climate scientists who dispute that fossil fuels are changing the atmosphere? The sceptics now just disagree about the extent and speed it's happening.

[ 01. September 2008, 08:46: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The UK press reaction to Sarah hasn't been all that favourable. The Daily telegraph is pretty right wing (UK standards) and here is a recent article.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Note to mjg]: As for being pro-hunting - so what? It just makes her a typical Alaskan.
<big snip>
There's no dishonesty in him working for an oil company. The trouble is that people are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them: tobacco producers disbelieved smoking caused cancer; petroleum geologists do the same with climate change. We all like to consider ourselves as 'good people', and so we discount evidence that suggests we're causing harm - especially if changing our behaviour is difficult.

Palin seems to be very much part of that culture, and therefore ideolically blind to consider it a real problem.

Hiro, I think your final line about being part of a culture, therefore blind to certain issues, applies equally well to Palin's gun culture.
----------------

Of course hunting is common in Alaska, people move there just for that purpose, but it's hardly a uniquely Alaskan "sport."

The defense for Palin seems to be running along such personal lines. She likes guns because it's her culture, she's pro-life, anti-birth control and pro-creationism because it's her religion. If she 's reported as ill tempered or rash, it's just because people see assertiveness as aggression in women. If she says something that seems extreme it's just because she's in politics. People who never met her are raving about how much she "cherishes" her children.

All that defense is fine if we're talking about a friend but if we're making a decision about a world leader, what else do we have to go on? Don't we have to call them as we see them?

I'm in favor of a woman's right to choose, increased gun-control, ending capital punishment, a national health program, and reduced profits for the big oil companies. Why would I vote for someone who's "culture" puts her on the opposite side of all this? Just to be nice?

From Barnabas' Telegraph link:
quote:
But for all the cleverness of McCain's pick, the feeling of foreboding grows. The West needs a Thatcher, a Reagan or a Truman. McCain seems not to be it, and his running mate is so far removed from such a notion that if he was to die in office, what follows would be frightening.

I know it scares me, when it looks like smart liberal women are going to vote for her just for the sake of girl power.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PSA: just for grits and shins there's now a Hell thread.

At this point it's just for TA and Greta but with any luck there'll be plenty of vitriol for all.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She was raised Roman Catholic (I've since discovered) and now seems to consider herself a non-denominational Christian, whatever that might be.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

But saying that doesn't mean she's fighting hard to implement those views. Politicians have to make a lot of speeches and chat to a lot of people - they're bound to have some views that differ sharply from yours (or mine). They might not be issues they'll focus on though.

No, there is a difference. If she really thinks that YEC is equally credible to a biological description of the development of life then she is too ignorant to be trusted as President.

A dyslexic President yes, and illiterate one, no.

And if she is merely pretending to believe that to flatter the Yeccies and get their votes then she's too dishonest to trust as a President.

[ 01. September 2008, 13:11: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Of course hunting is common in Alaska, people move there just for that purpose, but it's hardly a uniquely Alaskan "sport."

True. I think there are three reasons why an issue like hunting is potentially relevant.
  1. Direct relevance: The issue itself is really important to you, and the person has a position you disagree with.
  2. Indirect relevance: Their stance on this issue indicates how they will act on related issues.
  3. Moral failings: Their position shows a serious moral flaw.
In this case I'm arguing that #3 doesn't apply. IMO for an Alaskan to hunt says almost nothing about their temperament: it's equivalent to Obama saying he likes football or having a BBQ at home. (The converse doesn't apply though: being anti-hunting in Alaska would certainly say something about your values.)

Therefore IMO the relevant points are #1 and #2, i.e. how important an issue you feel hunting is, and if it'll influence other policies (e.g. gun control).

In terms of oil and climate change, I don't see her skepticism makes her bad, just badly informed. But IMO it's such a vital issue that being honest, sincere and wrong isn't much use.
quote:
The defense for Palin seems to be running along such personal lines. She likes guns because it's her culture, she's pro-life, anti-birth control and pro-creationism because it's her religion.
The defense I've been picking up on this thread is more like "She has these opinions, but she's been relatively restrained about implementing her personal views in law so far. Alaskans tend to be like that - they generally want to be left alone, and they leave other people alone."

I've no idea if this is true of Palin, but I find comet fairly persuasive here. I also really like the anti-corruption stance Palin's taken.
quote:
Why would I vote for someone who's "culture" puts her on the opposite side of all this?
Then don't [Smile] . If the US government suddenly decides Newcastle votes count, I'll vote for Obama. It doesn't mean Palin has no virtues though.
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
If she really thinks that YEC is equally credible to a biological description of the development of life then she is too ignorant to be trusted as President.

Well, the quote didn't say anything about being YEC, and just used the term Creationist.

Still, my gut reaction is to agree. Right now we're at a point where scientific ignorance is really dangerous, but it's hard to know where to draw the line. And being a YEC doesn't make someone stupid or inept, just...well, I don't know what. There are some bright people who believe very weird things.

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ISTM that by far the largest voting bloc in the US is the Yahoo. They nominated GW over McCain and elected him over two dull-normals who looked like geniuses when placed beside him. And that was their problem -- they weren't big enough dipsticks to make the great unwashed feel "comfortable."

Part of the Yahoo view of the world is that being created equal somehow means that nobody is any better than anybody else at anything (except sports, of course, which is the one allowable meritocracy). Anybody who thinks that [s]he is better qualified to be POTUS than a random high school dropout is an elitist who is per force unqualified to lead them.

I think that McCain finally learned that lesson when he realized that he couldn't win enough votes by simply placing his experience against Obama's and declaring himself the winner. One thing that appears to be true of McCain is that he has a brittle and petty streak in him. I think he chose Palin as a "fuck you" to the voters. But I also think that it may work. As a country, we really are that stupid.

Now, Palin may be some sort of political savant who doesn't need to have actually done anything to rise to the occasion. But, if she is smart, she'll act like a complete zero throughout the campaign.

The last thing she should do is try to establish her competency. She doesn't have enough time to succeed with those who care, and those who hate the idea of electing anyone "better" than themselves will be turned off. Yahoos are as quick to see people acting superior to them as women are to see sexism and blacks are to see racism. It doesn't matter whether it is actually there, it just needs to be suspected to be effective.

You'll know that Palin "gets it" if she goes on a college tour doing Jello shots...

--Tom Clune

[ 01. September 2008, 15:09: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes, every woman and every black I have ever met are constantly howling about being offended by men / whites (delete as appropriate). Tclune, could you please get more offensive? Why not toss in Jews too?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Why not toss in Jews too?

Sorry, I was typing quickly and inadvertantly left them out. I assure you that no respect was intended...

--Tom Clune

[ 01. September 2008, 15:48: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to add to the DH material, has it occurred to anyone here that Palin might lose the republicans the votes of strict anti-headship complementarian evangelicals who hold that women cannot exercise authority over any man in any circumstance? Isn't a vote for the McCain/Palin ticket a vote for egalitarianism?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can see it! Picture the usual photo montage television ad, with the following words:

St. Paul said "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

John McCain nominated Sarah Palin to be his running mate. If he should die, she would become the president of the United States of America, and have authority over 1.5 million men.

And he claims to be a Christian.

[ 01. September 2008, 16:01: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

beza
Shipmate
# 10581

- Posted      Profile for beza     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
If she really thinks that YEC is equally credible to a biological description of the development of life then she is too ignorant to be trusted as President.

Well, the quote didn't say anything about being YEC, and just used the term Creationist.

Still, my gut reaction is to agree. Right now we're at a point where scientific ignorance is really dangerous, but it's hard to know where to draw the line. And being a YEC doesn't make someone stupid or inept, just...well, I don't know what. There are some bright people who believe very weird things.

True, being a New Age "pyramids and crystals" freak hasn't stopped Cherie Blair being one of the UKs top lawyers and beyond a few sniggers it didn't damage her hubby's career.
Posts: 510 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
John McCain nominated Sarah Palin to be his running mate. If he should die, she would become the president of the United States of America, and have authority over 1.5 million men.

Either you're very prescient or you've been researching the blogosphere:

quote:
Some complementarians (...) teach that women should never be in positions of authority over men even in the secular realm, and so would certainly not accept a woman as President or Commander-in-Chief.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Either you're very prescient or you've been researching the blogosphere

Neither. We just both drew the same conclusions from the same evidence.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Another spanner in the works. Not sure which way that one plays, if at all.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay well my daughter can't keep her trousers zipped, but I'm a good Christian. Besides, she's going to keep the baby and marry the father, so all is good.

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
This is becoming more like a soap opera by the day. Her 17 year old daughter is pregnant! Mrs. Palin wants the media to respect her family's privacy. I recall something about stand, heat, kitchen, and get out!

Greta

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh for gosh sakes. What does her daughter's pregnancy have to do with anything? And why SHOULDN'T she ask for her daughter to have some privacy? Not that anyone's going to listen, of course. But Palin isn't running for mother-of-the-year, she's running for vice president. Why does someone else's screwup affect that?

And by the way, why is it that she's the only candidate getting routinely called by first name only?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

McCain knew about the pregnancy before appointing Palin, so he obviously wasn't too worried. I suspect he's right not to be.

(And when McCain snuffs it, the Palin extended family gets a nice big new house to play in. [Big Grin] )

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
And by the way, why is it that she's the only candidate getting routinely called by first name only?

If it's any consolation, most folks aren't sure whether "Obama" is his first or last name...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Labor Day, USA!

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the turn-out in the Presidential election? It has been just about 50% in the last two (I believe this is typical) but ISTM that both candidates have chosen running mates with a view to getting votes from the other, rather than reinforcing their core support. The outcome will be that some of their would-be core support will jump ship while no-one else comes aboard.

This Brit reckons 46% turn-out, but has no idea who will win.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Lamb Chopped wrote: Oh for gosh sakes. What does her daughter's pregnancy have to do with anything? And why SHOULDN'T she ask for her daughter to have some privacy? Not that anyone's going to listen, of course. But Palin isn't running for mother-of-the-year, she's running for vice president. Why does someone else's screwup affect that?
Governor Palin is running with a man who thought it was perfectly peachy to tell an singularly odious joke at a Republican fundraiser about a teenaged Chelsea Clinton. I think you're right that families should be off-limits, but John McCain doesn't seem to agree with us.
Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The 1st day of the Republican Convention has not been cancelled, just reduced to 2 1/2-3 hours.

Both Pres. Bush & V.P. Cheney have dancelled their speeches.

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh for gosh sakes. What does her daughter's pregnancy have to do with anything? And why SHOULDN'T she ask for her daughter to have some privacy?....

On the first, it would only matter if they tried to hide it. Get it out in the open now. It means nothing politically.

I pity the kid 17 pregnant with Hocky Mom not around much anymore and Dad not there much either. Looking at it strictly for her and the baby's sake, it would be better if the Republicans lost.

As for your second point, I've yet to see her called by her first name....its not like she's a hurricane.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

There is a tendency in the press to call prominent men by their last names, and women by their first. It is sexist.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

Shudder.

quote:
Protesters here in Minneapolis have been targeted by a series of highly intimidating, sweeping police raids across the city, involving teams of 25-30 officers in riot gear, with semi-automatic weapons drawn, entering homes of those suspected of planning protests, handcuffing and forcing them to lay on the floor, while law enforcement officers searched the homes, seizing computers, journals, and political pamphlets.

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The UK press reaction to Sarah hasn't been all that favourable.

That's another reason to like her.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
quote:

There is a tendency in the press to call prominent men by their last names, and women by their first. It is sexist.
You obviously have a better-developed sense of sexism than an MCP such as myself, but there is another possibility as to why one might refer to the Secretary of State as Condi, and the Dem VP candidate as Biden. The desire is to uniquely identify a person. If the first name is unusual enough to get the job done, that may well be used. I don't think that "Jane" or "Mary" are generally used to identify women, any more than "John" or "Bill" is. Of course, if the context is clear -- like if you are discussing a former POTUS -- using "Bill" is commonly seen as sufficient. But never attribute to brevity anything that can be construed as ill-intentioned...

--Tom Clune

[ 01. September 2008, 20:41: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

Future White House decor? [Eek!]

If my fellow countrymen elect "McCain/Palin: the bridge to nowhere" I will feel like announcing an early retirement, the better to leave the country. And I will pack my Plato, who considered democracy the second-worst form of government because it inevitably leads to tyranny, the worst.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
...there is another possibility as to why one might refer to the Secretary of State as Condi, and the Dem VP candidate as Biden. The desire is to uniquely identify a person. If the first name is unusual enough to get the job done, that may well be used. ...

"Rice" isn't distinctive enough? If it's got to be "Condi" for her, why isn't it "Barack" (or his pre-politics nickname of "Barry") for the Democratic Party nominee?

President Clinton was always called "Clinton." Senator Clinton is always called "Hillary."

So why "Sarah" instead of "Palin"? Oh, let me guess... we might mistake her for Michael Palin. (The Pythons... they're everywhere!)

I think Mousethief nailed this one.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I haven't found any direct quotes on the subject, but in a few places on the internet, I've read that Palin is not only anti-abortion but also anti-birth control. So I guess her daughter is just following the home rules and is a proud example of Mom's leadership skills.

See, there's proof that Palin wasn't kidding when she said she wasn't a feminist. A feminist would probably have taught her daughter that it was irresponsible to have unprotected sex, while a devout Assemblies of God member would teach, "Don't have sex! When you do, don't use birth control! When you get pregnant we'll all applaud you for not having an abortion!"

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Future White House decor? [Eek!]

Apparently her father shot that bear. Not sure about the crab, though! But she only gets to decorate Number One Observatory Circle (if, as, and when) unless McCain goes to meet his maker.

On another topic, a Canadian McCain is weighing in.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Oh for gosh sakes. What does her daughter's pregnancy have to do with anything? And why SHOULDN'T she ask for her daughter to have some privacy?....

On the first, it would only matter if they tried to hide it. Get it out in the open now. It means nothing politically.

I don't know Og. This is the year Juno won the Oscar and Britney Spears' little sister got pregnant and her star status soared. Pregnant teens are so popular right now, we may have found the missing answer to "Why, Palin?"
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
If it's got to be "Condi" for her, why isn't it "Barack" (or his pre-politics nickname of "Barry") for the Democratic Party nominee?

President Clinton was always called "Clinton." Senator Clinton is always called "Hillary."

So why "Sarah" instead of "Palin"? Oh, let me guess... we might mistake her for Michael Palin. (The Pythons... they're everywhere!)

I think Mousethief nailed this one.

Ross

A few points. First, it is often "Barack" in print. Second, I have not yet seen "Sarah" in print, but I'm sure that shouldn't derail our outrage. Third, it was almost always "Bill" when he was routinely in the media. It makes a LOT of sense to use "Bill" and "Hillary" when the whole world is revolving around their soap opera and you want to identify which narcissist you mean.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
She's not only Assembly of God but a dominionist.

Her children are named after characters in TV soaps.

don't be stupid. they're dumb names, but Bristol is
where they fish, Willow is where they go snowmachining, and Piper is what they fly. Standard Alaska stuff.

Track - beats me, but I can see all sorts of (pretty stupid, but not a soap) options. Trig is a scandinavian name that shows up in families here still. There are two in my village here. one old guy, one middle aged.

i'll try to catch up with the rest in a sec.

eta: it may be bizarre, but names like that aren't irregular here. we have 3 Denalis here in Talkeetna, plus 2 Willows and a Tazlina. (it's a river). we have kids named after geographic areas pretty standard, and odd old family names are pretty common too. I know kids saddled with really old fashioned names that came in with the missionaries, but the local Native tradition is to pass those names on generation to generation. (think, Wasillie, Dorcas, Agnes, Nikita, etc)

my kids - one geographic place name and two old fashioned family names.

I'm named after an actress that played a lady of ill repute in an old western TV show. so you can interpret as you wish. [Big Grin]

[ 01. September 2008, 21:48: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
quote:
If Palin is killing Moose "to put food on the table," as Ross seems to believe the poor woman needs to do, then that's fine with me, but if killing large mammals is just her idea of a good time, then I stand by my first statement -- I find that an unsettling quality in a possible President. I didn't like it about Cheney or any of the other hunters either.
we all hunt to put food on the table. it's illegal not to harvest the meat, not to mention stupid and pointless. it doesn't mean we're poor. it's a lifestyle choice.

Does everyone who grows their own tomatoes lack the funds to hit the grocery store and buy a can of tom sauce?

Moose is better for you. sustainably and humanely harvested, and a strong family tradition. I dont expect you to understand, but applying your values onto our traditions is just lame. I try not to laugh too hard at you folks, please respect our traditions as well.

At least I know where my meat came from and I know it never suffered.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Happy Labor Day, USA!

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the turn-out in the Presidential election? It has been just about 50% in the last two (I believe this is typical) but ISTM that both candidates have chosen running mates with a view to getting votes from the other, rather than reinforcing their core support. The outcome will be that some of their would-be core support will jump ship while no-one else comes aboard.

This Brit reckons 46% turn-out, but has no idea who will win.

Voter turnout was over 56% in 2004, actually -- the highest since 1968, which was the last year the voting age was 21 (lowering the voting age to 18 reduced the turnout numbers since young people don't vote). Given the high turnout in the primaries and the continuing level of interest in this election, I'm going to predict we'll break 60%.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
I haven't found any direct quotes on the subject, but in a few places on the internet, I've read that Palin is not only anti-abortion but also anti-birth control.

It's certainly possible, especially since she was a Catholic at one point. But some blogs were also speculating she'd faked her own pregnancy to cover up her daughter's - until the news came out they'd both been pregnant and the rumours looked a bit foolish.

There's an awful lot of speculation about Palin, of whom we know very little so far. IMO it's a pity when there are perfectly good reasons to heartily dislike the current GOP. As mjg pointed out:
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
Shudder.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
we all hunt to put food on the table. it's illegal not to harvest the meat, not to mention stupid and pointless. it doesn't mean we're poor. it's a lifestyle choice.

I believe you. I understand that in South Africa they eat wildebeeste and kudu and other game. Some places they farm meat, other (and fewer) places it's running around loose. Venison in Scotland is sort of betwixt and between.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016