homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 62)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
mjg,

Thank you for your apology, but any fault for the misinterpretation is due to my poor choice of words.

Greta

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
Oh, Puhlease! Going off to combat because you have to is a very different commitment...

Which part of "volunteer army" do you not understand?
The stop-loss part, same as our soldiers. Thanks for asking.
I suppose the fact thousands of soldiers there sign up for multiple tours (voluntarily) while leaving pregnant wives at home has no bearing on my example.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One problem with evaluating the record of someone nobody had heard of until this week is that there's a lot of unvetted reporting out there, too.

Yep, and false accusations will only win support for your opponents. (Well, unless they're unprovable urban myths - some of the insane smears against Bill Clinton dragged on for years. No doubt lots of people still think he'd murdered dozens over business deals.)

In a book on science and the media I read two great bits of advice: (1) Never trust "new" science reports until they've been debated properly, and (2) Always be extra dubious about things which confirm your beliefs. It seems to apply to politics and the media too.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

...and you are quite right that my use of the word "bimbo" laid the groungwork for your reading of my subsequent post. Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

Greta

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With respect to Gov. Palin and her family:

The care potentially needed by an infant with Down Syndrome (which -- here comes my pedant streak -- is neither a disease nor a medical condition [genetic condition, yes, but that's different] unless it involves heart problems or a tongue too large to permit the person to eat properly or form understandable speech) can run the gamut. A few kids with Down Syndrome grow up and go to college at 18. A few can't even dress or feed without help. Most fall somewhere in-between. As the baby is only a few months old, it'll be very hard to tell much about the child's needs just yet.

As for the 17-year-old daughter's situation, it's a not-uncommon American domestic drama which is being handled according to that family's values system. If it were me and my daughter, I'd handle things differently; I have different values. But I'd also handle the governorship differently if I were Alaska's Chief Executive (which we're all, I trust, grateful I'm not).

I also disagree with what I've read about Palin's thoughts on guns, creationism, abortion, and on and on. But that only disqualifies her from getting my vote, not from running for and/or holding office.

However, I think Sarah Palin's selection as running mate says a GREAT deal about John McCain.

It takes his reputation as a maverick and moves into the territory of "recklessness" -- as though he really doesn't give a shit what the electorate thinks about his choice, because neither the electorate nor Palin actually matter to him. All that matters is that he gets to do things his way. He seems to me to be saying, "Look, you dolts, I'm not too old to be President; I'm not going to die in office; I'm invincable. So I can just light on any-old-handy-body for this insignificant backwater of a job. I mean, if the Dems can settle on Obama-the-Big-Eared-Boy-Wonder, then I can settle on Yukon Barbie. So what?" It's as though he's thumbing his nose at us.

The choice makes him look careless, arrogant, and impulsive. He spent very little time with her. It looks as though, denials notwithstanding, she was NOT thoroughly vetted; that the McCain campaign did NOT know in advance about the pregnancy, the flirtation (however brief or insubstantial) with secession, and assorted other potentially problematic revelations.

Personally, I've had it with federal administrations regarding the electorate with such naked contempt. I've had it with Presidents and Vice Presidents who so cavalierly disregard the opinions of our people, our allies, and even our enemies.

Those are character hallmarks I once associated with despots in Korea or Libya in the past. It terrifies me to think of such blatant disregard settling into the Oval Office yet again.

No more frat boys. No more cowboys. We need a grown-up in the White House. I don't know of Barack Obama is that grown-up, but he sure looks a lot more stable than John McCain to me.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I suppose the fact thousands of soldiers there sign up for multiple tours (voluntarily) while leaving pregnant wives at home has no bearing on my example.

I don't know how many men who have pregnant wives choose to go off to a war of choice instead of tending to their spouses, but I am perfectly willing to call any such folks irresponsible. If that's your shining example of selfless service, I'll grant your analogy -- but I won't share your value judgment about it.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
They are not as vile as the decades of Republican attacks on so-called 'welfare mothers' who are too poor to have a mom who is running for VP to sort things for them. Palin's vetoing of money for a home for such mothers (op cit)....[edited]

I made a mistake yesterday in picking up on an early report that proved false. You caught that, and I appreciate it. Let me return the favor. Hiro's Leap cites a story above that suggests Gov. Palin may simply have brought the increase in the budget for that establishment in line with other increases. One problem with evaluating the record of someone nobody had heard of until this week is that there's a lot of unvetted reporting out there, too.
Thanks for that. I stand by everything in my original post prior to 'Palin' above.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh, Puhlease! Going off to combat because you have to is a very different commitment from accepting the second most coveted job in the country. I'm sure any politician worth his bribe can claim that it's a great sacrifice to live in luxury at tax-payer's expense. But, if it's not your pony, why bother shoveling the manure...

--Tom Clune

We can start with George Washington, who really didn't want to be President. But he accepted the call. When his terms were over and he graciously stepped down on schedule, the world was amazed. This is an important precedent. When we begin assuming that every candidate for high office is acting, and will act, primarily out of self-interest, we've lost it as a decent country.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re George Washington:

From what I've heard, he may not have been all *that* selfless. At least one of his contemporaries felt they might "have traded one King George for another". (Sorry, I don't have a source for that.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by uncletoby:
Palin is clearly unfit for office.

No loving mother could possibly call her daughter "Bristol". She obviously knows nothing about Cockney Rhyming Slang.

Exactly my thoughts, every time I read the name. [Killing me]
And what about the rest of the brood? Track and Trig are my favourites. When I get a pair of puppies (i.e. when hell freezes over) they will be my names of choice.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two Republican pundits and former operators don't seem to think too much of McCain's VP choice. And got caught on mike saying so. [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good find, Ruth. It's interesting that they call the choice of Palin a "narrative." Fits right in with Maureen Dowd's satire of the Palin nomination as a Sandra Bullock movie.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may just be posturing, but I did like Obama's declaration that attacks on Palin for her daughter's pregnancy were "off-limits."

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
It may just be posturing, but I did like Obama's declaration that attacks on Palin for her daughter's pregnancy were "off-limits."

Ross

I thought that was extremely interesting, given his mention in last Thursday's speech about preventing teen pregnancy. You don't suppose he had a heads-up???

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
Mea culpa.

It's hugely difficult to communicate on the internet.

And for your entertainment pleasure: tonight the Squirrel Eater will be speaking at the repub convention. The schedule I found was a bit vague but it looks maybe 2030ish CST.

Oh, and then some Moose Murderer an hour or so later. [Biased]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
so MUCH to respond to, but such a busy freaking office day. I'll catch up more later, but wanted to throw something out into the discussion.

a very close friend of mine had a Downs baby who died during his birth.

While she was pregnant she researched the kind of care her child would need and came to the conclusion she would have to leave Alaska to get that care. She had already begun the process of moving back to her family home in Mass.

So, in one way, DC might be just the place for little Trig.

I'm not saying that is why the Palins agreed to this, that would be dumb. However, it could be part of a convincing overall argument.

I've been in the only Hospital in Juneau. it's really (by Outside standards) a small town with a small town hospital. no way could he get the best care there.

back later.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Two Republican pundits and former operators don't seem to think too much of McCain's VP choice. And got caught on mike saying so. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Is it possible they "got caught" saying this stuff on purpose? It would certainly help McCain "distance" himself from the Republican establishment.
Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swish
Shipmate
# 8566

- Posted      Profile for Swish   Email Swish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watching the Convention now and, as I should have expected, I'm getting reasonably annoyed with it all. Romney has referenced Michelle Obama's earlier 'first time in my lifetime I'm proud of America' bit, which I thought had died a deserving death, as well as saying that Republican's know good from evil. I'm not sure if he's suggesting that Obama and the Democrats don't (what it sounded like he was suggesting) or whether he was simply trying to convince himself.

Either way, the way he blends in with the red background is providing some amusement.

--------------------
Sorry Ted. I was concentrating too hard on looking holy.

Posts: 114 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Well, I'm trying to make it through to Palin's speech, but I already want to knock out Guiliani's smarmy little rat teeth. His speech is proving beyond any shadow of a doubt that the biggest threat to the USA is the current Republican party. I'm disgusted.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swish
Shipmate
# 8566

- Posted      Profile for Swish   Email Swish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Well, I'm trying to make it through to Palin's speech, but I already want to knock out Guiliani's smarmy little rat teeth. His speech is proving beyond any shadow of a doubt that the biggest threat to the USA is the current Republican party. I'm disgusted.

I'm in the same boat. He nearly made it through without mentioning 9/11, but didn't manage it. And his and Romney's constant railing against the liberal elite is sickening. They've been the most powerful party in Washington in the last 8 years for a very long time, controlling the Supreme Court, COngress and of course the White House. Romney is incredibly rich and surely fits the elite bill. McCain, railing against the media, has been incredibly popular in the media for a long time, a point which CNN raised.

Huckabee's speech, however, was both funny and smart, not going for the cheap obvious shots but coming right out with how he respected Obama. And he didn't seem comfortable in the middle of Rudy's rants.

Still, onto Palin now.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by uncletoby:
Palin is clearly unfit for office.

No loving mother could possibly call her daughter "Bristol". She obviously knows nothing about Cockney Rhyming Slang.

all I can come up with is "pistol". is that a bad word in your world?

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes. Rudy "the slime-mold that walked like a man" G.

For how many years has he been making me want to puke? I've lost track...

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, I got it!:

"Bristol City" = "Titty"

Do I get a gold star? Or an eel pie or something?

(Answering comet)

[ 04. September 2008, 03:03: Message edited by: Mechtilde ]

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
You've suggested that this is just a manifestation of the cultural more that Alaskan girls "start young" and that disapproval of teen pregnancy is "another example of the majorty American culture being overlaid over the traditional ways."

if that's what I suggested I was wrong, and I'm sorry. teen pregnancy is not a shock, it's common enough and traditional enough that it doesn't send us off the rails.

that doesn't mean it's something we're all just hunky-dory with. Of course we want to save our kids from doing stupid crap like that.

those traditions are changing, everything is changing. We don't go to war with the neighboring village much anymore, either. and thank God we don't have to travel from camp to camp seasonally, either. (though, now I mention it, a lot of us still do. it's just that we keep permanent homes now to store all our toys.)

I think "abstinence only" sex ed is complete horseshit, personally. and I think Bristol is a great example of why it is horseshit.

regarding the "Myspace" page of Bristol's boyfriend. ACK. Chasee#1's first boyfriend was just like that. (forgive me, kid) there but for the grace of God... [Eek!]

'course, my first boyfriend was just the Native version. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Considering that Alaska ranks 30th in the teen pregnancy rate, it's a little bit more common elsewhere than you have been led to believe.

At any rate, two thoughts. First, someone should have told her daughter's redneck baby daddy to spit out the gum. Second, she sneered at the Constitution so that's really all I need to know.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
You might not know, but "Teach the controversy" and claiming that both evolution and creationism (or even "Intelligent Design") are theories is directly from the creationist playbook.

I wasn't aware of that. I also never thought it would be treated as an equal theory, that's just crazy talk.
quote:
quote:
[*]the whole firebomb over poor Bristol's pregnancy is making me furious.
Me too. The only possible excuse I see about it is whether she falsified official records (such as the birth certificate).
oh, I wasn't even thinking about that theory, that's just ludicrous. and it shows they no nothing about small town AK or Juneau in particular. the gossip machine is so powerful they'd never get away with something so convoluted. I'm sure within 20 seconds of Bristol's first morning-sickness barf session the entire population of Juneau Douglas High knew she was pregnant, who the father was, when she's due, the baby's gender and hair color.

--------------------

Swish
Shipmate
# 8566

quote:
Considering that Alaska ranks 30th in the teen pregnancy rate, it's a little bit more common elsewhere than you have been led to believe.

At any rate, two thoughts. First, someone should have told her daughter's redneck baby daddy to spit out the gum. Second, she sneered at the Constitution so that's really all I need to know.

"Concerned with reading terrorists their rights."

Your damn right he is. I'm not sure you can be a President and honestly take the oath of office if you aren't.

Yeah, that bit annoyed me too.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:

I never meant to imply that it's more common here than elsewhere, just that it's common and not shocking. Seriously, the entire state has a half a million people or so. Everybody knows everybody's business. Teen pregnancies are common in that everyone personally knows at least 5 cases.

I didn't hear Sarah's speech, but my mom just called and said it's time we disown her, so it must have been pretty bad.

and Levi the redneck was THERE? no kidding? Jays they're really working this thing. disgusting.

I'll bet he's loving it.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
You're kidding

Tell me you're kidding.

well no, but I realize I overstated things. never meant to imply it was like some game show. "behind this door, BANG Adam burps out Eve and away we go! or your other choice, behind door #2 - the darwin fish!"

think of it more as, during a unit on evolution and natural selection, the teacher starts a discussion. "okay, with everything we've learned, I'd like you to ponder this: some people believe X, Y, and Z. what do you lot think? and why?"

quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
[Mad]

I just live to irritate the shit out of you. [Big Grin]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
OK, teenagers make mistakes, especially ones whose moms are on the abstinence bandwagon. But to get married at this age, because of it? I can't think of a stupider response to the situation.

completely agreed. I was smart enough (or maybe just lucky enough) not to try and make a family with Chasee's father. OH BOY would that have been a disaster.

but of course at the time I loooooooooooved him so everything was okay.
[Roll Eyes]

quote:
it is beyond irresponsible for parents to NOT have their daughters on birth control from the moment a pregnancy is possible. My mom did it with me and my sister, I did it with my stepdaughter, and if I have to go behind my brother's and sister's backs with my nieces to get them on the pill, that is what I will do. They WILL have sex, anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts. Any parent who does not equip them to deal with this is a negligent parent.

I agree to a point - I certainly took that tactic and my mother sure tried with me. (long story)

However, if one of my siblings went behind my back to sneak any of my children to, say, a class on "abstinence only" or *heaven forbid* one of those loony concepts about avoiding AIDS or curing it, etc - I'd be beyond pissed. I'd be take-em-out-back-and-kick-em-to-kansas pissed.

Yes, those are crazy talk, loony concepts. but there are plenty of people out there preaching them, and who truly believe that's the right answer.

My brother believes in a form of polygamy. he knows (he'd damn well better, anyway) that if he tries to sneak that info to my kids and I find out his ass is worth less than old chewing gum.

There are some lines you shouldn't cross. I am absolutely sure Bristol Palin was well aware of birth control strategies and avoiding STDs. not only are teenage kids in general well-versed, but (believe it or not) sex ed here includes birth control and STD avoidance, and the school nurses all keep a condom grab bag outside their office doors.

and regards to Sarah quitting or resigning the VP ticket - if she does, someone made her do it. Sarah will not quit. she may be a right wing nutjob, but she's tenacious as hell, and honorable. if she gave her word, she'll keep it.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

On Nightline tonight, some tapes were played of a Palin gubernatorial aide leaning on somebody in the state trooper dept. to get Wootten fired. Didn't look good Said aide was supposed to testify before some Alaskan legislative committee, but the gov's lawyers have filed paperwork claiming the committee has no jurisdiction.

Which looks worse.

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Palin was certainly strident tonight (with her whiney accent) I don't know how well that will play outside that hall in St Paul. On the other hand, the VP candidates are supposed to be the "Rottweiler" types.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It just cracks me up to think of all those dutiful Republican saps holding their noses to vote for the ticket that includes her, when she is so much of what the Republican party has stood firmly against in the last 28 years.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Palin pundits now have more juicy bits to chew over. Two weeks ago (Aug. 17), she attended a guest sermon at her Wasilla Bible Church by David Brickner, executive director of Jews for Jesus. Evidently, Mr. Brickner suggested during his sermon that terrorist attacks on Israel was God's "judgment of unbelief" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity.

Her personal opinion of Israelis is difficult to ascertain but in her defense, she did sign an Alaska-Israel friendship resolution.

The Huffington Post has published portions of a speech she made at WBC regarding construction of a gas line project in Alaska, in which she invokes the will of God:
quote:
"I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.
(Huffington report)

Gun-totin', moose-huntin', rightwing conservative evangelical from the most independent state in the union. What's not to like?

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

A resident of Wisilla, AK offers this assessment of Gov. Palin.

Ms. Kilenny may have a bias rooted in past feuds, and one should not treat her assessments of the governor's personality and temperament as Gospel, but the facts she presents seem to me to have a ring of very disturbing truth.

Greta

[ 04. September 2008, 05:20: Message edited by: CorgiGreta ]

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm waiting for the verdict from all the Lefties which is about 95% of this site. The Left is The Establishment around here, kinda like the Sanhedrin/Magestarium but without the zaniness. I wanna hear about how awful that Palin was and how the speech sucked. This should be fun!

I've never voted Republican in my life well at least since my first election in 1984 but I was charmed by her. I really enjoyed Palin's speech. Her digs at The One (PBUH) had me go "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" She doesn't take shit and that's cool. I like Palin but I don't like McCain, I like Michelle, her husband, not that much. I think the reason I like both Michelle and Palin, so far, is that they are both snarky.

I winced at the comment about not having to read a suspects rights. That I disagreed with her on. That was a clinker IMO.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that we've had a decent look at the lightweight, is there actually anyone at all that thinks McCain/Palin winning would be a good thing?
Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

You're asking this on a forum with a preponderance of intellectual liberals? [Killing me]

As Duo Seraphim once said: "What a waste of time: irony plainly sails over your head. It's probably gone on a futile hunt for your misplaced logic."

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by GoodCatholicLad:
I really enjoyed Palin's speech. Her digs at The One (PBUH) had me go "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" She doesn't take shit and that's cool.

There were several moments when her upper lip curled back, eyes narrowed and her voice cracked. It sent chills up my spine. "Bitter, sniping harpy" came to mind. The video cuts to her young daughter holding the newborn and smoothing down his hair with spittle on her hand was kinda creepy too. I mean... there is only sooo much downhome cabin culture one can take, you know?

The McCain campaign is doomed. This woman's small-town power brokering would be crushed in Washington and she's completely out of her element in a national campaign. Biden will mop the floor with her in the debates.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shades of Allen Drury. The integrity of the courageous maverick versus the Washington machine. Sarah Palin delivered an excellent, confident speech designed to appeal to a visceral instinct. The enemy is the unelected executive bureaucracy and the elected Head has the job of knocking it down to size, shaking it up, in the cause of prosperity within and safety from without. In the process, she landed some pretty effective blows on the Obama/Biden ticket.

But it is a particularly disingenuous message to take to the country after 8 years of a President who came into office believing the same thing, and delivering neither prosperity nor safety. No wonder the current President and VP are conspicuous by their absence. The present Republican presidency has failed, and the changed guard says "We have the same values and instincts about what is needed. But we'll do better because we're independent mavericks. Trust us".

And after last night, I wonder if it will work. Yet again. It just might.

[ 04. September 2008, 08:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday, I defended her right to go out to work while leaving her baby with a competent nurse/nanny, so right off the bat I have to say:

Ms. Palin, bringing a newborn to the largest noisiest crowd imaginable, just so you can use the poor little mite as a vote gathering accessory? That sucks. So do your remarks as to "Now the disabled will have an advocate in the government." Way to exploit and mislead. Maybe they don't count because they aren't "Hockey Moms" but there have been good advocates for the disabled for more years than you've been born -- Ted Kennedy for one and that fine Senator from the state you're standing in who's plane was mysteriously shot down just before his health bill was set to go through.

Squeaky cheerleader voice, low shots at Obama, and the usual Republican insinuations that Democrats are unpatriotic. I've heard more powerful graduation speeches.

Seriously, can anyone who saw her speak picture her as President?

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The McCain campaign is doomed. This woman's small-town power brokering would be crushed in Washington and she's completely out of her element in a national campaign. Biden will mop the floor with her in the debates.

My original prediction was repubs by 2%; in March I revised it to 1%.

This revision is the GOP by 3%, a veritable landslide and Bushian scale 'mandate' [Biased] in this equally divided country.

Obama, inexperienced and too 'leftist' (has anyone here ever mentioned Clinton would have been a better candidate? [Angel] ) doesn't have the goods Joe American wants (clearly demonstrated by his choice of Biden), and 'war hero' and veteran Senator Maverick John McCain has delivered the the total package by choosing Palin.

Hillary, secretly ecstatic over the choice of Alaska's governor and trying to decide precisely how to undermine Obama, made the first planning phone calls for her 2012 campaign last evening.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The present Republican presidency has failed, and the changed guard says "We have the same values and instincts about what is needed. But we'll do better because we're independent mavericks. Trust us".

And after last night, I wonder if it will work. Yet again. It just might.

I had a similar response to her speech. I was surprised that the Republicans appear to want to run their campaign on the issues, which all seem to me to cut against them. I thought with Peggy Noonan, that they chose Palin so they could talk about her "narrative" instead of the issues.

If her speech is any indication, they seem to actually believe that making the campaign a referendum on the Iraq war is a winning strategy. It takes my breath away. OTOH, I have often believed that there were levels of stupidity below which the US public would not go, only to be surprised in the event. Apparently PT Barnum actually never said this, but it sure rings true: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
quote:

My original prediction was repubs by 2%; in March I revised it to 1%.

This revision is the GOP by 3%, a veritable landslide and Bushian scale 'mandate' [Biased] in this equally divided country.

Not sure where you pulled that out but it being an electoral election, rather then a popular vote, I'd go with what's on this website, previously linked by others in this thread.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Gun-totin', moose-huntin', rightwing conservative evangelical from the most independent state in the union. What's not to like?

No moose in Texas, AFAIK. What's the difference?

From the wrong side of The Pond it looks like McCain's advisors have decided that Sarah Palin, as a relatively young, energetic woman is many things John McCain is not, and therefore completes the ticket. That may well help to get McCain elected.

I'm not sure anyone in John McCain's team envisages a role for Sarah Palin in a McCain administration, but on that basis alone she will be a big improvement on your current VP. I'm now waiting for the campaign to get as messy as a moose nest (or whatever they are called).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
Now that we've had a decent look at the lightweight, is there actually anyone at all that thinks McCain/Palin winning would be a good thing?

A "decent look at the lightweight?" We've been subjected to nothing but Obama this and that 24/7. I think that's more than a decent look!

And, yes, I think McCain/Palin winning would be a good thing. (Surprise!) After McCain has served it'll be absolutely wonderful to vote for the her as the first female president of the USA!

She's great!

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Apparently PT Barnum actually never said this, but it sure rings true: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

No kidding. The McCain/Palin ticket apparently thinks that Americans are dumber than rocks; why else would you put a bold-faced lie everyone already knew about into the middle of your national debut? The only upside is that she opened the door for Biden to take the gloves off.

--------------------

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Yesterday, I defended her right to go out to work while leaving her baby with a competent nurse/nanny, so right off the bat I have to say:

Ms. Palin, bringing a newborn to the largest noisiest crowd imaginable, just so you can use the poor little mite as a vote gathering accessory? That sucks. So do your remarks as to "Now the disabled will have an advocate in the government." Way to exploit and mislead. Maybe they don't count because they aren't "Hockey Moms" but there have been good advocates for the disabled for more years than you've been born -- Ted Kennedy for one and that fine Senator from the state you're standing in who's plane was mysteriously shot down just before his health bill was set to go through.

Squeaky cheerleader voice, low shots at Obama, and the usual Republican insinuations that Democrats are unpatriotic. I've heard more powerful graduation speeches.

Seriously, can anyone who saw her speak picture her as President?

If she didn't bring her son I think she would have been criticized for that, with people saying "what? are we going back to the bad old days when
people with physical and mental disabilities were
left in a locked back room and were never to be mentioned?" She wasn't going to win on this. There are people that are going to dislike her no matter what because she's a Republican and the same on the other side with a Democrat. I always tried to vote for the person not the party but that's me.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that she's against due process for a terrorism suspect.
That's pretty serious.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You're asking this on a forum with a preponderance of intellectual liberals? [Killing me]

As Duo Seraphim once said: "What a waste of time: irony plainly sails over your head. It's probably gone on a futile hunt for your misplaced logic."

I tried very hard to lean right yesterday (I was Republican not all that long ago).

If Giuliani had been running, I woulda been okay with maybe voting for him despite the disaster that the Publicans have been for eight years. He could speak, he was a leader, he had ACTUAL experience.

Palin? Dear gods the poor thing has no fucking CLUE. She's just been fed into the meat grinder and it shows. What an absolutely HORRIBLE speaker (for a politician). I watched hers first and thought "There's something WRONG here, I can't stand to listen to this". Then I listened to Giuliani and thought "Wow, THAT is the voice of leadership and experience, as scary as that is."

She barely was mobilizing the True Believers like New Yorker. Problem is, those aren't the ones they needed. They needed the 13% independents in the middle to clear this near 50-50 split the elections have been runnin for the last two elections. They did not get us independents and in fact I think that is the sound of crickets chirping on the McCain campaign if you listen closely.

On another note, is it me, or is McCain screwing up a LOT on questions from reporters? The housing debacle. $500 million being rich. Etc. Etc.

Dementia?

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Apparently PT Barnum actually never said this, but it sure rings true: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

No kidding. The McCain/Palin ticket apparently thinks that Americans are dumber than rocks; why else would you put a bold-faced lie everyone already knew about into the middle of your national debut? The only upside is that she opened the door for Biden to take the gloves off.
It worked in 2000 & 2004. The odds are the American people want to be treated like morons.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016