homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 81)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is what we played at my VP debate party. [Big Grin]
Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
She had a perfect chance to show some genuine emotion when Biden nearly broke down and she blew it.

Yeah, but that wasn't in her talking points.
I agree with both of you. She was coming across as "over-rehearsed" to me in any case, but that was the point when hockey-mom came across as calculated and lacking in feeling. I guess it wasn't really "her" but it showed how much her performance needed to be controlled and prepared. I didn't really get that with Biden.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
She was coming across as "over-rehearsed" to me in any case, but that was the point when hockey-mom came across as calculated and lacking in feeling. I guess it wasn't really "her" but it showed how much her performance needed to be controlled and prepared.

Which illustrates perfectly the fundamental problem: She had to spend three days learning her lines for the debate, just to make sure she didn't turn herself into a complete joke. Any half-decent candidate wouldn't have to spend that amount of time on that sort of preparation.

quote:
This is America, boy, we don't need no stinkin' foreigners telling us what to do.

I know I'll get chewed up for this, but it has to be said: Your reveals the short-sightedness of the collective American psyche*: One set of rules for you, and another for everyone else. How can you not see that you normally are the foreigners telling everyone else what to do?

* Unless, of course, you were joking and I'm too slow to get it.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
quote:
This is America, boy, we don't need no stinkin' foreigners telling us what to do.

I know I'll get chewed up for this, but it has to be said: Your reveals the short-sightedness of the collective American psyche*: ...
* Unless, of course, you were joking and I'm too slow to get it.

Am I the only one who ever watched "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"?

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
Will there be international election observers in place to ensure fair play?

As you may know, international election monitoring is one of the interests of ex-President Jimmy Carter. A reporter asked him this very question once: why don't we, or when will we, have American elections monitored internationally? His reply was disturbing: The way American polls are usually operated does not meet the minimum pre-requisite standards for international monitoring. More here.

Another suspicious incident which the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting: polling places in poor districts being moved for no good reason, typically to marginal sites that are difficult to reach except by driving there, and perhaps downright dangerous for pedestrians.

Then there's the ridiculous truncation of free speech on the part of employees at the University of Illinois. Not only are they forbidden to wear campaign buttons anywhere on campus, but any employee may be subject to disciplinary action whose car parked in a university lot has a bumper sticker. In theory, anyway, but it won't be enforced. Or will it? Is it the law or does it go beyond the law?

As a regular contributing alumnus, I would like to speak my mind about this as soon as I can determine to whom.

Incredible.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I know I'll get chewed up for this, but it has to be said: Your reveals the short-sightedness of the collective American psyche*: One set of rules for you, and another for everyone else. How can you not see that you normally are the foreigners telling everyone else what to do?

We don't _all_ have this kind of attitude, you know.

Personally I'd love for some nice unbiased outside observers for this.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WatersOfBabylon:
This is what we played at my VP debate party. [Big Grin]

See the Sarah Palin Debate Flowchart at the bottom of this blog post.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Which illustrates perfectly the fundamental problem: She had to spend three days learning her lines for the debate, just to make sure she didn't turn herself into a complete joke.

And it was so painfully, horribly obvious that that's exactly the way it went. Like a synchronised swimmer with a painted-on smile mask.
Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with the sentiment that she was well prepped, but he was well prepared. I had to LOL when she said she didn’t know how those east-coast politicians could be for something, before they were against that same thing. Probably the same way ya’ll do it in Alaska *cough Bridge-to-Nowhere cough,* Governor.

While I don’t agree with everything Biden said by any stretch, I did like what he said about the importance of questioning people’s judgment, not their motives. I am willing to believe all the candidates are motivated by a desire to do good for our country, and I'm awfully tired of suggestions that some of them are more patriotic than others.

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
whilst we're told more about her drive to unite the american people by invading Canada from Alaska.

whenever the AIPers (Alaskan Independence Party) start to rear their heads, my dad waxes eloquent on what the Alaskan Military would look like:

hairy guys flying duct-taped supercubs, taking potshots with their 30.06's out the side window while their dog (large, hairy, named Yukon or Muktuk or Bearbait) hangs his head out the other window, tongue flapping. They'd get directly above the enemy's based and dump their honeybuckets out the windows.

meanwhile, the "womenfolk" would take the front lines with long barrel .357's, iron skillets and garden shovels, screeching their warcries: "Junior, get the fuck out of your Apa's smokehouse before we mistake you for dogfood!"

so I think Carcross is safe from invasion.

really.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

[Killing me] A collection of movie soundbites disturbingly representative of the average american voter's campaign consciousness and foreign policy attitude. British commentary provided by James Bond, Austin Powers and the Fat Bastard.

(with apologies to the hosts)

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
She had a perfect chance to show some genuine emotion when Biden nearly broke down and she blew it.

Yeah, but that wasn't in her talking points.
True. Though after thinking about it, there is no way you can win against man tears, so maybe she did the best thing she could. Me, I would have just conceded the debate right then and there and told my husband to get the damn car.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree in a sense, Erin. Man tears are powerful ju ju. what could she do, walk over there and hug him and have a good cry? wrong forum and not enough alcohol involved.

besides, when guys choke up it's pretty standard to just ignore it so as not to rip his tissue-fragile ego. (yes yes, hyperbole. but you all know damn well I'm right.)

she handled it as I would have, I think. but you could just hear every chick in the country say "awww!" at the same time and his approval rating hit the stratosphere.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bah. Biden didn't shed any tears, he simply choked up a bit. You're making it sound like he was blubbering into his hanky. Ole Joe is too tough to break down on stage and you don't get where he is with a "tissue-fragile" ego.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Believe me when I say there is no more powerful punch to the female emotional solar plexus than a man in any stage of crying. It stops you dead in your tracks every time.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Out of curiosity, is there anybody supporting McCain and/or Biden on this thread? I'll cry real man tears for the opportunity to find one to question.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I think New Yorker is still maintaining the faith.

[for McCain]

[ 04. October 2008, 04:04: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
besides, when guys choke up it's pretty standard to just ignore it so as not to rip his tissue-fragile ego. (yes yes, hyperbole. but you all know damn well I'm right.)

For values of "right" indistinguishable from "fucking sexist"?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronist
Shipmate
# 5343

- Posted      Profile for Ronist   Email Ronist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Believe me when I say there is no more powerful punch to the female emotional solar plexus than a man in any stage of crying. It stops you dead in your tracks every time.

I didn't actually know that. I have some idea of the effect on a man (normal, healthy) of a woman crying.

I think in most cases a man will appreciate a woman not acknowleging it. Particularly a woman he is not close with. It's bound to happen from time to time. Remembering your wife and daughter dying in a car crash is no small thing.

Senator Palin's (non)response was perfect.

Posts: 827 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Blithering idiot that she is, she started it! Now maybe she'll shut up about her damn family. There are any number of appropriate responses the could have made, including an apology. Instead, the charged right on with more of her Pollardesque shotgun rhetoric.

She has no mind. She has no heart.

Greta

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a really stupid move, trying to play the "I know what family hardship is like" card. Didn't any of her handlers know or bother to research his history? It was either jackass foolishness, or screamingly inhuman hardheartedness.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been swamped, and haven't seen a lot of coverage of this debate (I watched the debate itself).

The little coverage I've seen claims a "tie." I am completed outraged. In the debate I saw (and yes, my biases are intact), a mature male talked some facts and sense, and a younger female talked a few facts and a great deal of Shrub-esque style gibberish. Seriously, some of her remarks sounded like word-salad.

THIS IS A "TIE?" God help us. The woman is a dingbat who occupies her current position because she's also apparently a bully.

I'm renewing my passport.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

Oh no. We once had an SF con over here called Mexicon. At one of them we dispensed with the long-hallowed habit of all members wearing name badges (which in thise days were mostly what Americans would call buttons) because, being a Mexicon, "we don' need no steekin' badges!"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't see any awful blunders from Palin though I only saw the first part of the debate live. I had to go to bed as it was late here.

If she needed a lot of preparation to learn enough to perform tolerably well, why not let the pitbull try for it? It would save on lipstick.

Is the film "Recount" about the 2000 election reasonably accurate? It was on TV last night but I only caught the last few minutes as I didn't know about it.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming in a lttle late on the VP debate, a television critic in our local paper had a great summary. "It was like a NASCAR racing event where everyone comes hoping to see a crash but there was no checkered flag at the end either."
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

No shit. And when it's a powerful, accomplished man on national TV ... well, damn.

But it wasn't a no-win moment for Palin, because she could have expressed sympathy. I don't think it showed her to be foolish or heartless; I think it just showed, as did the debate as a whole, that a few days of prep are no substitute for experience. If she'd been immersed in national domestic and foreign policy issues for even a few years, she wouldn't have had to cling so hard to her talking points and she would have been able to respond like a human being. But then, if that were the case she would have been able to actually answer some questions, too.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

No shit. And when it's a powerful, accomplished man on national TV ... well, damn.

Maybe this is just a woman thing, but I can't follow any of this. First, in the debate that I saw, Sen. Biden simply didn't cry at all (not that there's anything wrong with that... [Big Grin] ). He was momentarily overwhelmed with the memory of his loss, and stopped to regain his composure. It may have been a moment of humanity or what-have-you, but he just wasn't crying. Why are people recasting this into that? What weird agenda requires that?

I don't see Gov. Palin as having any response to that because none was called for. If she wanted to build another bridge, she could have said something about feeling the magnitude of his loss. But no response was required AFAICS.

On this particular point, it just seems like a tempest in a teapot. There were real matters of substance and even style in the debate, but I don't see the meta-narrative about this non-event as even intelligible, given what actually happened during the debate.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I remember when I was at college (university) strolling down "the Av" (main street of the business (really shopping) district adjacent to the campus), and stopping at a table staffed by a recruiter / evangelist for one of those secretive cult-like religious groups.

After pleasantries the person launched into their little spiel, and upon delivering it, smiled and looked at me expectantly. I asked a softball question, and received a canned answer. Maybe another. Then I asked a question for which they were not prepped. Their brow furrowed. Then, there was a moment of silence, and like a phonograph with the tone-arm in the "repeat" position, the needle went back to the beginning of the record and the original spiel started at from the top, word-for-word, as I had heard at the beginning of the conversation.

It was eerie.

There was a point in the debate where nearly the exact thing happened. Palin was asked a question on Iraq that she couldn't answer. She launched into a near verbatim repeat of a spiel she had given before in answer to a completely different question. All of a sudden I was back in 1981 on a street corner in Seattle listening to a religious recruiter regurgitate a memorized script.

It was eerie.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Biden choking up during the debate: Maybe it's one of those things where women and men tend to see things differently.

I don't know a single woman who saw the debate who didn't feel enormous empathy for Biden when he choked up, thinking of the wife and child he lost, and the children he almost lost. It was a huge moment in the debate. Women who might not have cared about Biden one way or another before that moment suddenly connected with him.

Likewise, I don't know a single woman who saw the debate who didn't think Palin looked like an absolute ass for not acknowledging Biden's loss and sorrow.

In the political blogs and columns written by women, it seems to be universally seen the same way.

If the intent in tapping Palin was to attract women to the McCain ticket, then in that moment Palin lost the debate, and McCain may well have lost the election.

[ 04. October 2008, 16:09: Message edited by: Josephine ]

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
On Biden choking up during the debate: Maybe it's one of those things where women and men tend to see things differently.

I don't know a single woman who saw the debate who didn't feel enormous empathy for Biden when he choked up, thinking of the wife and child he lost, and the children he almost lost. It was a huge moment in the debate. Women who might not have cared about Biden one way or another before that moment suddenly connected with him.

I certainly felt for Biden at that moment, but I can't agree that it was a "huge" moment. I was not thrilled with Biden as Obama's VP choice, but I'm not utterly put off by it either. For Biden himself I'm pretty neutral. But I'm not all that swayed by a candidate's personal tragedies unless the candidate in question has somehow launched a social change movement out of one, and Biden's personal tragedy doesn't lend itself to that (unless it's more social support for single parents generally).

quote:
Likewise, I don't know a single woman who saw the debate who didn't think Palin looked like an absolute ass for not acknowledging Biden's loss and sorrow.

Well, maybe I need HRT or something, But I personally neither expected Palin to respond to Biden's momentary distress nor did I change my opinion of her when she failed to do so. I thought Palin sounded like an absolute ass because she can't talk straight (and maybe because she IS an absolute ass).

quote:
In the political blogs and columns written by women, it seems to be universally seen the same way.

If the intent in tapping Palin was to attract women to the McCain ticket, then in that moment Palin lost the debate, and McCain may well have lost the election.

Again, this is just my own response, and I'm from New England, where we're famous for Bluestockings and being God's Frozen People, but I really think this far overstates the case. Josephine, do you know any "undecideds" who switched to "decideds" on this basis?

I have to say I rather hope not.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Unless the woman is the man's wife and the reason he's crying is over her. Then she just laughs in his face and tells him to grow up.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Some men. Maybe some women too? I'm inclined to the view that it's more likely a Myers Briggs T/F thing. Being quite a strong "F" and all that, I thought Sarah Palin lacked empathy, looked unsympathetic. Biden "looked" genuine, Palin looked schooled out of "genuine". But my "T" mechanism tells me its only a reading of emotions. The significance is in the impression created.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
quote:

Maybe this is just a woman thing, but I can't follow any of this. First, in the debate that I saw, Sen. Biden simply didn't cry at all (not that there's anything wrong with that... [Big Grin] ). He was momentarily overwhelmed with the memory of his loss, and stopped to regain his composure. It may have been a moment of humanity or what-have-you, but he just wasn't crying.[/qb]
You're right of course, he wasn't crying. He was just choked up for a second. But as Erin said, any stage of crying is good enough, and for a moment Biden was in that very first part -- he had to stop talking and pull himself together. Obviously Erin and I were generalizing; not every single woman is going to have the same reaction. But I held my breath for a second.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Unless the woman is the man's wife and the reason he's crying is over her. Then she just laughs in his face and tells him to grow up.
Divorce is too good for such a bitch.

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Out of curiosity, is there anybody supporting McCain and/or Biden on this thread? I'll cry real man tears for the opportunity to find one to question.

I'm still here & have already voted by absentee ballot for McCain/Palin.

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

As is your right. Get it? Right?

I'll get me coat.

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mav·er·ick from dictionary.com

Southwestern U.S. an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, esp. an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother.

An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.

1867, "calf or yearling found without an owner's brand," in allusion to Samuel A. Maverick (1803-70), Texas cattle owner who was negligent in branding his calves. Sense of "individualist, unconventional person" is first recorded 1886, via notion of "masterless."

In the southwestern part of the united States, a bullock or heifer that has not been branded, and is unclaimed or wild; -- said to be from Maverick, the name of a cattle owner in Texas who neglected to brand his cattle.

So, does this mean that the Palin-McCain ticket is available for the first person to put their brand on their campaign?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I don't understand the question. I support McCain - Palin, but not Biden. I think I may be disappointed after the vote, but I still hope that the voters of this great country do the right thing. (Well maybe not the right thing; maybe the center thing; just not the left wing thing!)
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
...I still hope that the voters of this great country do the right thing.

Looks to me as though they are going to do the right thing. But not the Right thing.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Looks to me as though they are going to do the right thing. But not the Right thing.
Amen to that!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
Josephine, do you know any "undecideds" who switched to "decideds" on this basis?

That's a good question. Honestly, I know a bunch of people who are planning to vote for Obama, and some who are planning to vote for McCain, and very, very few who are undecided.

I do know one person who was undecided, leaning toward McCain because McCain has so much more experience than Obama. Like a lot of people, he is worried about the economy, about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, about whether we might start yet another war in Iran or Georgia or somewhere else -- and he wants someone with a lot of knowledge and experience. He also wants someone who is calm, steady, unflappable. He thinks the times call for that.

Palin was causing him to have second thoughts, and the debates clinched it for him. Obama overcame his doubts about his lack of experience. Palin did not overcome his doubts about her ignorance and general incompetence.

I doubt Palin's non-response to Biden had much of anything to do with his changing his mind. But he's the only formerly undecided I've talked with about why he's changed his mind.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It was eerie.

There was a point in the debate where nearly the exact thing happened. Palin was asked a question on Iraq that she couldn't answer. She launched into a near verbatim repeat of a spiel she had given before in answer to a completely different question. All of a sudden I was back in 1981 on a street corner in Seattle listening to a religious recruiter regurgitate a memorized script.

It was eerie.

Lately I can take or leave Saturday Night Live, but I'm looking forward to seeing their take on the VP debate tonight!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
I don't understand the question.

I bungled the post; I meant McCain-Palin supporters. The deeper understanding is that I am curious to hear your (and agrgurich's) specific opinions of the candidates comments about policy and other issues raised in the debates. I was afraid that Republican supporters might have largely deserted this thread, depriving us of some balance in our discussion.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I am curious to hear your (and agrgurich's) specific opinions of the candidates comments about policy and other issues raised in the debates. ...

Well, it's really pretty easy. I disagree with McCain less than I disagree with Obama.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

That lacks the kind of specificity I was hoping for. It stands to reason that your preferred candidate appears to you to better align with your philosophy, by definition.

Can you fill in some countervailing commentary about the candidate's presentations from the debates? Like, "McCain didn't look at all like a re-animated corpse to me." or "Palin answered all the questions to my satisfaction." or "Obama was simply too bumbling and ill-considered to respect." or "Biden was clearly naive and oblivious about foreign policy." Except, perhaps less silly.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I felt for Biden, too, but I wasn't irate that Palin didn't acknowledge his feelings. I did think she should have done something--even just looked at him sympathetically. But, all things considered, I don't think she was capable of it at the time.

I think Sarah is in waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy over her head. She made me think of a young schoolchild participating in a play, having to focus very, very hard on getting all her lines right, and hoping she'll be given a hug and be taken out for pizza afterwards.

I don't support her team, but I do feel sorry for her. I think McCain's people picked a token woman, didn't vet her, and made a really big mistake. (I understand McCain wanted Lieberman as VP. Some people speculate that McCain--should he win--would ditch her, and swap in Lieberman. That would be a vile thing to do.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That lacks the kind of specificity I was hoping for. It stands to reason that your preferred candidate appears to you to better align with your philosophy, by definition.

Can you fill in some countervailing commentary about the candidate's presentations from the debates? Like, "McCain didn't look at all like a re-animated corpse to me." or "Palin answered all the questions to my satisfaction." or "Obama was simply too bumbling and ill-considered to respect." or "Biden was clearly naive and oblivious about foreign policy." Except, perhaps less silly.

I hate to disappoint you, but I think the last presidential or V.P. debate I watched was around 1984. I simply don't find them very useful. The idea that my vote should be decided by how someone answers a question seems to me ridiculous. I've been a Republican since before Sarar Palin was born. I admire John McCain.

If you want more reasons why I voted the way I did, I can list them.

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Oh my lord, has the woman no sense of shame at all?

Palin says Obama 'palling around' with terrorists

palling around? To quote from the article:

quote:
While it is known that Obama and Ayers live in the same Chicago neighborhood, served on a charity board together and had a fleeting political connection, it's a stretch of any reading of the public record to say the pair ever palled around. And it's simply wrong to suggest that they were associated while Ayers was committing terrorist acts.

Nonetheless, Palin made the comments at two appearances in separate states.

Right up there with the 'secret Muslim" whispers.

Sleeze campaigning at it's best.

[Projectile]

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Did you also admire Bush/Cheney in 2000 and 2004? Do you still admire them?

Greta

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
... I don't support her team, but I do feel sorry for her. I think McCain's people picked a token woman, didn't vet her, and made a really big mistake. (I understand McCain wanted Lieberman as VP. Some people speculate that McCain--should he win--would ditch her, and swap in Lieberman. That would be a vile thing to do.)

Hmm. Shades of Spiro Agnew? Or maybe the plan is that the Alaskan investigations will become a "distraction", and she'll resign for the good of the team. [Paranoid] OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016