homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 83)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I predict it will be as boring as their last "debate."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

I hope not, but fear you're correct. Maybe A&E or PBS has a good film showing just in case?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
McCain doesn't seem to be very good for veterans.

Palin doesn't either

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Might the 'Town Hall' style force them to engage with the questions, each other, and the audience a bit more?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But who is going to win? A lot of commenters are partisan one way or the other. Taking a neutral view, who is most likely to win?
Posts: 205 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, Trouty

I think just about everyone is partisan - I know I am. I think that Obama may just win it - but I'm worried about the latent racism of many voters which may come out in the polling booth, even though it doesn't in opinion polls. I'm also worried about Obama's personal security - I just hope that he's got a really good security team protecting him.

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But really, is winning the point of American presidential debates? I suppose one is supposed to knock out the other, but isn't it rather more helpful to the people in making a proper decision in the voting booth by understanding where each candidate stands rather than seeing it as which one beat the pants off the other.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, come now. The only reason the debates seem boring is that no show on earth could compare to the shenanigans of this year's election campaign.

I've been voting for a long time, and this is unquestionably the strangest campaign I've ever seen.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
I predict that Sen. McCain will walk on stage, hug Sen. Obama, LOOK HIM IN THE EYE, and say, "Can I call you Barry?"

Greta

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
I've been voting for a long time, and this is unquestionably the strangest campaign I've ever seen.

Aside from the ... er ... maverick ... choice of Palin (and I suppose the financial collapse) has this election been all that unusual?
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I predict that Sen. McCain will walk on stage, hug Sen. Obama, LOOK HIM IN THE EYE, and say, "Can I call you Barry?"

Greta

[Killing me] actually that's the main reason I'm going to tune in tonight -- to see how the VP's have raised that particular bar.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Yorker, I am interested to know why you think the United States has been targeted ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by trouty:
But who is going to win? A lot of commenters are partisan one way or the other. Taking a neutral view, who is most likely to win?

Is it even possible to define the winner? I don't think I know what winning looks like!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re McCain's temper and possible implosion:

Since February or so, he's seemed to be on mood meds. Understandable, given his temper*...but they suppressed his likable spark.

Lately, he seems like his meds have been changed, or he's not taking as much. The nastier part of him is peering out over that smile. He seems dangerous and creepy.

*I'd long supposed his temper was partly due to his POW experiences. But there was something in the news, weeks ago, saying that he'd been like that clear back to high school.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reading The Times today gives a rather alarming picture of frustration and anger during GOP rallies:

quote:
Events this week have been marked by ugly outbursts from crowds. In Clearwater, Florida, shouts of “kill him!” could be heard amid a chorus of boos when Mrs Palin attacked the Democratic nominee over his links with 1960s radical, Bill Ayers.

Journalists were reported to have been taunted with obscenities or racial insults from members of audience when Mrs Palin blamed the “mainstream media” for what she described as her “less-than-successful” - and much-parodied - television interviews.

At a rally on Monday in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Mr McCain asked: “Who is the real Barack Obama?” A man in crowd screamed back the reply: “Terrorist!”

Is this going to grow? Is it going to have any particular effect in the campaign or the aftermath? It doesn't seem to be helpful to the nation.

Or is it just that outside observers don't understand what they are seeing?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone up in the UK for this one or just me? [Frown]

Zorro

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Americans? Didn't mean to be exclusive-I just feel quite chuffed with myself for staying up past my "bed 'n bath by 9" regime!

Zorro.

--------------------
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
It's on in the background. I got bored and wandered off to play mahjong. However, my first impression is Jesus Christ, Tom, shut the fuck up about the time already! Let them talk.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

He is a bit authoritarian. That said I guess if he wasn't it'd get stagnant-they're probably worried about it becoming a handbags at 10 paces bitchfest.

Zorro.

--------------------

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Watching this really makes me think it's something lacking in the UK election process. It's great seeing 2 candidates in a pressured situation debating policy and leaving the attack-ad mentality at the door. Definetly something we need over here.

Zorro.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that our house has decided that Tom will be the first to lose his temper...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
And I am not John McCain's friend.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Could be worse. No winks yet.

Zorro.

--------------------

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Anyone noticed McCain has a lot of heroes? Reagan, now Roosevelt, in the last minute and a half [Roll Eyes]

Ł20 says JFK's next [Razz]

Zorro.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Anyone noticed McCain has a lot of heroes? Reagan, now Roosevelt, in the last minute and a half [Roll Eyes]

Ł20 says JFK's next [Razz]

Zorro.

Well, he would support Teddy's militaristic streak.. I don't know how big McCain would be about Roosevelt's truly radical view about the harm of big business power.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't see McCain starting the National Park system either.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Thank you! I'm so sick of that!

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:

AMEN! FDR used "my friends" too but people knew he meant it and it was not just a throwaway line.

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Man, eight years of watching Bush turn the US into a third world country has turned McCain into a bitter jackass. If debating your Democrat counterpart is so far beneath you, just don't show up.

Asshole.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother Julian:
I think that Obama may just win it - but I'm worried about the latent racism of many voters which may come out in the polling booth, even though it doesn't in opinion polls.

I may be boring regular readers of this thread, but I won't let that stop me from once again linking to this discussion on fivethirtyeight.com of the Bradley effect. You can read the details there, but the fact is that Obama did better in the polling booths in the primaries than he did in the opinion polls almost everywhere in the country, especially the south.

quote:
I'm also worried about Obama's personal security - I just hope that he's got a really good security team protecting him.
Obama has been under Secret Service protection since May 2007. I think it's safe to assume that they know what they're doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Reading The Times today gives a rather alarming picture of frustration and anger during GOP rallies:

quote:
Events this week have been marked by ugly outbursts from crowds. In Clearwater, Florida, shouts of “kill him!” could be heard amid a chorus of boos when Mrs Palin attacked the Democratic nominee over his links with 1960s radical, Bill Ayers.

Journalists were reported to have been taunted with obscenities or racial insults from members of audience when Mrs Palin blamed the “mainstream media” for what she described as her “less-than-successful” - and much-parodied - television interviews.

At a rally on Monday in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Mr McCain asked: “Who is the real Barack Obama?” A man in crowd screamed back the reply: “Terrorist!”

Is this going to grow? Is it going to have any particular effect in the campaign or the aftermath? It doesn't seem to be helpful to the nation.

Or is it just that outside observers don't understand what they are seeing?

No, you understand it just fine. It's despicable. The Secret Service spokesman has said they're looking into it.

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Is it even possible to define the winner? I don't think I know what winning looks like!

The winner is the one the undecided voters like the best. That seems to be Obama this time.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:
quote:

AMEN! FDR used "my friends" too but people knew he meant it and it was not just a throwaway line.
Thank you and another loud Amen! And the other word(s) that makes me want to throw a shoe at the TV is "General Petraeus." All proper respect to the General, but why the hell does McCain have to invoke him at least 3 times per debate? (Rhetorical question.) The man is a military commander, not a prophet, and certainly not the arbiter of our foreign policy. Last time I checked, the civilians were supposed to be in charge of that.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
quote:
quote:

All proper respect to the General, but why the hell does McCain have to invoke him at least 3 times per debate? (Rhetorical question.) The man is a military commander, not a prophet, and certainly not the arbiter of our foreign policy. Last time I checked, the civilians were supposed to be in charge of that.
But McCain still believes that if the Generals had been given their "proper authority" in Vietnam, we would have "won". Generals such as Haig. Yeah right.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It really gets on my nerves how they have to avoid giving direct answers to some questions. I hate politics.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Two words may have cost McCain at least two percentage points in the polls: "That one". You don't win votes by being an a-hole.

Greta

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The best thing about that whole debate was when they stood in front of Brokaw's teleprompter right at the end. Hilarious.

The worst thing about that whole debate was John McCain. Who IS he? Who let him be on TV? Why will anyone vote for this man? What is there to like?

I see Obama taking all of Kerry's states and he'll definitely get Colorado, Iowa, Nevada and
New Mexico. That puts him on 278 already and in the White House. I guess Missouri remains the bellwether. He may also add North Carolina, Virginia and (big if) Indiana. Either one (or both?!) of Ohio and Florida would be absolutely sweet, given the history. A proper red state like Montana, Georgia or South Carolina would also be brilliant. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

I'm pretty confident that America's gonna pull through this time. Anyone else confident?

Oh, and here's his first cabinet:

Sufjan Stevens will be secretary of state(s).
Warren Buffet will be secretary of the treasury.
Bill O'Reilly will be defense secretary.

After that, I'm not sure...

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't stay up but have watched some highlights. For me from what I've seen, Obama did better by some distance.

This incitement stuff (Horseman Bree's post and links} is a real concern however.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

From what I can gather the "terrorist" and "kill him" stuff is being seen as a horrifying indictment on a very small number of people rather than showing up a sizeable voting group who stand between Obama and Pennsylvania Ave. It looks now as if Obama is striding ahead in the polls and the "that one," reference has been particularly damaging.

What I wonder now, and as a UKer this isn't something I'm good to answer on-what do US shipmates think will happen? I'd assumed (I pray rightly) that the "He won't win 'cos he's black" mentality was bullshit and was actually out the window-was I being naive, was I right and am I still, or might the trend be reversed in the next few weeks pre-election?

Zorro.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Two words may have cost McCain at least two percentage points in the polls: "That one". You don't win votes by being an a-hole.

I could only stand to watch a few minutes of the debacle, erm, debate and I missed the comment: what's the context?

And if that's the best McCain can do allow me to introduce President Obama... what was all the hype about how 'town hall' meetings were his strong point?

Plus I imagine Hillary is whimpering softly somewhere right now as she watches her hopes for 2012 fade.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I turned on my TV.

And I sat down to watch it.

And I fell asleep.

Blame the G&T is you want.

Two things:

- neither of them come across as amazingly inspiring or charismatic on TV

- is McCain deliberatly trying to imitate Reagan's voice, or is that just the natural combination of a rather dated General-American accent (they both sound like people from the 1950s because they ARE people from the 1950s - well, 1910s and 20s for Reagan but he updated his image due to beignna film star and all that) and a once-deep voice gone whispery with old age and frailty?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You can read the details there, but the fact is that Obama did better in the polling booths in the primaries than he did in the opinion polls almost everywhere in the country, especially the south.

The worry is that the self-selected ten percent or so of the population who vote in Democrat primaries probably doesn't have a big overlaps with the unknown proportion so of the population who might think twice before voting for a black President. Crudely, they are almost certanly likely to be both more interested in politics and more liberal than Americans who don't vote in Dem primaries.

I know that in Britain black parliamentary candidates often get fewer votes than expected (or at least used to - I do not know if the effect still continued in the last general election). And I honestly don't think the average Brit is more racist than the average American. On the other hand I also know that effect here is much larger for Tory candidates here than Labour - large enough that there have been a few high-profile Tory candidates who seem to have lost elections purely because they were black. And opinion polls generally understate Tory votes as well.

On the other other hand there is evidence that women candidates for Parliament get more votes than might be expected. (If I can find a good online source for past election results I think I can do stats on that - but all the websites I've seen have silly chrome all over tham that takes too much trouble to strip off - what I need is plain text...)

The USA, as always might be different.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Greta

I hope the pundits really pounce on that today, it made me think of some of the ugliness I've seen on right-wing message boards, where they call Obama, things like "that man who's name I won't say." I keep asking them for specific reasons why they don't like Obama and they keep telling me he's "scary." I guess the spooky music in McCain's campaign ads got to them.

As for Tom and his time limit fixation, I was happy to see the SNL players have something good to work with, but my husband found it so irritating he left the room after about the tenth mention. When he came back I was watching, "The Twenty Top Redneck Moments," on cable.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
I'm also worried about Obama's personal security - I just hope that he's got a really good security team protecting him.
Obama has been under Secret Service protection since May 2007. I think it's safe to assume that they know what they're doing.

Three U.S. Presidents have been shot in my life time -- one of them fatally. (It's early here and I haven't had my coffee. Was Ford shot or was it just an attempt?) I hope the Secret Service knows what they're doing, but I wouldn't count on it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was passing Al and Tipper's little cottage last night on my way home from work I notice the gates were open and there were two valet parking types at the bottom of the drive.

Then when I went around the curve past their house there were a zillion motorcycle cops, two police cars and an anonymous looking white van hanging around. My immediate thought was that Senator Obama must be visiting the ex-Veep and selected guests/contributors before the debate.

In any case, if that was the situation he appeared to be well-protected.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
The best thing about that whole debate was when they stood in front of Brokaw's teleprompter right at the end. Hilarious.

I agree. Very funny.

The worst thing for me was McCain's answer to the first question. Obama went first and alleged that the current economic mess are the result of eight years of Bush and that McCain would just be another four years of the same. McCain did not respond to that. He should have pointed out that if anyone is to blame for this mess it's the Democrats who sacrificed economic regulation and oversight on the altar of making loans to those who could not afford them. Now many will disagree with this view, but it's the Republican argument and McCain should have made it.

The other worst thing is that some of the questions were just not too good.

quote:

While I would not shed a tear if the Good Lord called Obama home soon and very soon through natural causes, I certainly don't want to see him assassainated. No need to make a martyr out of him.

What everyone should worry about is the current President Bush. Federal law was changed at some point to end lifetime Secret Service protection for former presidents starting with Bush. Now they only get ten years after leaving office. That needs to be changed. All former presidents deserve protection for life, but with the kooks out there that have an absolute irrantional hatred for Bush, he especially needs it.

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:

Was it just me who thought that comment had racist overtones?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
the kooks out there that have an absolute irrantional hatred for Bush

Do you really think it is irrational? Really? Compare the US now to what it was when he took office. I don't know how anyone can not hate Bush.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
quote:

no, it just showed off McCain's worst qualities: his bitterness and temper. He is no racist.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
with the kooks out there that have an absolute irrantional hatred for Bush

True. Only kooks have an irrational hatred of Bush when there are so many rational reasons. Now Bill Clinton, he was a man who inspired irrational hatred.

It amazes me how many Republicans can smoothly transition from supporting Bush to heartily disliking him, yet still refuse to admit "Yeah, maybe those damned anti-Bush lefties had a point, and in hindsight we were wrong to try and shout them down."

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
quote:

no, it just showed off McCain's worst qualities: his bitterness and temper. He is no racist.
Woah, hold on. I don't suggest that the overtones to one comment make him a racist: I'm sure he's not. I was thinking more of misinterpretation (possibly willful) and how that might play in the media.

--------------------
Brian Clough

RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:

I didn't say that.

quote:
While I would not shed a tear if the Good Lord called Obama home soon and very soon through natural causes, I certainly don't want to see him assassainated. No need to make a martyr out of him.
Wow. Just wow.

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
When I was passing Al and Tipper's little cottage last night on my way home from work I notice the gates were open and there were two valet parking types at the bottom of the drive.

Then when I went around the curve past their house there were a zillion motorcycle cops, two police cars and an anonymous looking white van hanging around. My immediate thought was that Senator Obama must be visiting the ex-Veep and selected guests/contributors before the debate.

In any case, if that was the situation he appeared to be well-protected.

Obama was at Gore's place for a fundraiser after the debate. Imagine what it must have looked like then.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
You can read the details there, but the fact is that Obama did better in the polling booths in the primaries than he did in the opinion polls almost everywhere in the country, especially the south.

The worry is that the self-selected ten percent or so of the population who vote in Democrat primaries probably doesn't have a big overlaps with the unknown proportion so of the population who might think twice before voting for a black President. Crudely, they are almost certanly likely to be both more interested in politics and more liberal than Americans who don't vote in Dem primaries.
All very true. And the remainder of the American electorate, those who don't vote in Democratic primaries, is more likely to be honest with pollsters about not wanting to vote for a black man. There really is no solid reason at this point to believe that the people who don't want a black man to be president are shy about saying so. There's even a way for them to state it without coming out and saying, "I'm a racist" -- they say "the country is not ready for a black man to be president."

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016