homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 89)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Argh! Hofstra told me the debate started 4 mins ago! They can set up a presidential debate but they can't set a fucking clock!

[Mad]

Zorro.

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh by the way, I think McCain will tank again in tonight's debate.

But that's hardly worth predicting, is it?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The debate starts about four hours and forty minutes after the time stamp of this post.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
Oh by the way, I think McCain will tank again in tonight's debate.

I don't know that he will embarrass himself horribly--he's had a few gaffes but he hasn't done that yet.

Unfortunately for him, he needs a truly stellar performance if he is to have any chance at all in the short time remaining.

His campaign has been written off too many times in the past for me to feel comfortable closing the lid on it just yet, but I think this debate is Obama's to lose, not McCain's to win.

That and $1.95 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck's.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
From what I hear, ever since the Democratic convention, Hillary has been an awfully good girl, campaigning vigorously for Obama-Biden. If he is elected, how is he going to repay her? High cabinet post (Attorney General, maybe)? Supreme Court?

Going on the assumption that anyone to replace her in the Senate would be a Democrat, I imagine Supreme Court is the best place, partly, as you say, so he doesn't have to have her and Bill mucking about. I can't imagine Justice Stephens carrying on through a whole term of a Democratic presidency, so there should be a vacancy.

Alternatively, she may simply decide to be an influential Senator. She could end up majority leader at some point.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She said yesterday she just wants to be a good senator, that she's not interested in being on the Supreme Court and that the chances of her running for POTUS again are "probably close to zero." I could see her taking a few pages out of Teddy Kennedy's playbook, though at 60 she doesn't have all the time in the world to make her mark in the Senate.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
McCain was always their man. And, it seems, he was always destined to lose.

Not so. He almost went out of business due to lack of funding prior to the primaries, and was a surprise win in New Hampshire, if I recall correctly.

The real problem for the Republicans is that they had no single man. To assume so would promote a viewpoint of the Republican party as more united than it actually is at the moment.

What we are seeing is the collapse of the Reagan coalition due to excessive neocon incompetance in governance. There was no one person that the 'Christian Right', your old line traditional conservatives, and your hawkish neocons could all gravitate to. McCain sneaks in due to a divided house. Likewise, no one of those groups could hope to attract the former Reagan Democrats on their own. Hence, McCain is going down.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
This may mean nothing to you, but I am a life-long Red Sox fan. I have seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory far too many times to count.

They're one game down. Lighten up!

--Tom Clune

OK, Now you can start to panic...

--Tom Clune

Yes, it is very sad. I heard some fan, I believe, commented after the division series that 'no one does it in the post season like the Red Sox'. I had to agree, but I don't think I meant it in the same way that he did. Obviously a post-2004 fan....

...but I digress. Back to less important matters.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
What we are seeing is the collapse of the Reagan coalition due to excessive neocon incompetance in governance.

Which is either predictable, or ironic, or both, given that they're constantly saying that government is the problem and not the solution.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watch out, Mousethief. You're going to give rise to a whole new conspiracy theory. Instead of Duh-bya merely being the Worst POTUS ever, you'll have people thinking he's succesfully achieved his long-term covert objective: bringing about the destruction of the United States Government.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two completely unimportant bits of trivia about hofstra, where tonights debate is being held.

1. Both of my parents went to Hofstra, and I applied and was accepted but went somewhere else.

2. The building where the debate is being held was rented by my daughter's high school this past spring for her graduation ceremony.

Sorry, couldn't resist mentioning it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nicole, is Hofstra an acronym or what?

Zorro.

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, it's a Dutch name. A family named Hofstra owned the land it's built on, I think.

It was a fairly new college when my father went there, before and after WW2.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Cheers [Smile]

I'm watching BBC's coverage as CNN's is a bit behind. Weird that.

Zorro.

--------------------
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's with the The Old Man and the furious scribbling? What's with
all the "you said this and you said that" boo hoo hoo what is this? High School??? It's politics for petesake everyone talks smack. God I am going to be so glad when this election is over!

[ 16. October 2008, 01:41: Message edited by: GoodCatholicLad ]

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
They'd be a much more attractive ticket with Mitt Romney up front right now.

Except of course for the simple truth that, to use a British phrase, he is a git.

McCain was always their man.

Huh? Were you following the race in the summer of 2007? I was, and McCain looked dead in the water.

There are elements of the Republican base that really didn't like him.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Cause he's a big fucking pussy. You'd think someone who had the shit beat out of him by the Viet Cong for five years would be able to take it.

However, Sarah fucking Palin is SO not a role model for women, unless it's of the "horrible warning" kind.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Oh dear. McCain's "I'm such a victim and my running mate is a reformer and by the way she has a special needs child," line seems to have collapsed. Obama pointed out that helping special needs children requires programs with cash. Smoothly done.

Seems to be a feature tonight-McCain being glib, almost chatty and Obama being smooth and controlled in response. Can't help but wonder if he's coming over a bit dry though?

Zorro.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would simpler if they'd just arm-wrestle and get it over with.

Bob Schieffer: "Gentlemen? I think we can expedite this debate with a simple contest. Please face each other, place your right elbows on the table between you and grasp each others hand. On my count, force your opponent's arm down to the table's surface. The victor shall be declared champion of this debate. Now, take your positions. Ready...mark..."

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

However, Sarah fucking Palin is SO not a role model for women, unless it's of the "horrible warning" kind.

I know. When he said that, I threw up in my mouth a little.

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought there was going to be a debate tonight.

Rehash, rehash, rehash.

I'm glad this is the last debate. If we had any more, the entire voting public would stay home out of boredom.

--------------------

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I just want to punch McCain right in his smirking maw.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought McCain's take on abortion was interesting - that it should be decided on a state by state basis?

"Come to Delaware for all your abortion needs!"

Is this just a nice way of not answering the question or does he have a history of putting forward this policy?

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

Jesus! Competition among schools? What planet is McCain living on?

In my tiny little state, little kids in the North Woods already have to travel 60 miles by bus to get to the nearest damn school. They'd be traveling 100 miles to get to some other one.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Doesn't he know his own running mate? Doesn't little Geometry have Down's, not autism?

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has McCain being cryogenically frozen and brought back to life. His face works and his hands move but the rest of him isn't quite alive. Reminds me of a white-haired Davros.

More civil debate than I expected.

maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What the hell was McCaint wearing on his wrist?? Is that a copper bracelet for his arthritis?
Anne L.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and I called my brother Joe up after he had gone to bed and asked him why the presidential candidates were both talking to him through the TV.
Oh wait - my brother Joe is a carpenter (yeah, yeah, I know...) not a plumber.
Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Who knows? My favorite part, though, was when McCain whined about how he had to go negative because Obama didn't agree to town hall debates. That was the biggest WTF? out of all the WTF? moments they had.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I'm curious about something. I'm not able to watch the debate for various technological reasons so I'm going by running commentary on a couple of different sites. On the Cnn.com political ticker, a _lot_ of people have commented on McCain "grunting", or "making weird nosises", or "mumbling", and blinking and twitching. After hearing it read out loud to him, my husbands started thinking that McCain may have actually had a stroke recently. What do people think? Does it sound plausible? Does he really look/sound that "off"?

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

The Talking Heads on ABC seem to agree that McCain "lost," FWIW. Even George Will does.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
... Does he really look/sound that "off"?

Not to me. He seemed nervous and a bit strident but not disabled.

[ 16. October 2008, 02:53: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------

maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

McCain't is certainly very physically stiff. He holds a pen like Bob Dole, which seems odd because as far as I know, both his arms work. I recall reading that he did have a war injury that kept him from raising his arms above his shoulders, so maybe that's the source of some of his stiffness. He was grimacing a lot, but I didn't notice grunting.
Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Although he did look like Mr Wilson from Dennis the Menace when Obama said that Joe the Plumber would be fined $0. That was the one point I truly thought he was just going to lose it.

McCain probably would have won if he hadn't gotten bogged down in the repudiate thing. And he lied when he said that he had repudiated every negative thing that came from Republicans. I guess "palling around with terrorists" and his own commercials that he flat-out states he "approved" are exempt in McCainland. But he whined about not getting an apology from someone who has nothing to do with Obama and that was the beginning of the end.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

IIRC, both McCain's arms were broken and not re-set properly during his POW years, and he was forced to learn to write all over again with his left hand, as he could no longer write with his right.

I suspect a great deal of his stiffness stems, one way or another, from old injuries.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

The lasting question is... has Joe the Plumber been won-over?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Thanks guys.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

I don't know about Joe the Plumber, but our late news is showing coverage of Sarah Palin's campaign stop in my state right now, and if I have to listen to that sing-song whine talking about "moose-huntin'" much more, I'm going to lose it.

God save us. Can you imagine if she becamse President?

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

My favorite part was when Obama said something to the effect that "the fact that Bill Ayres has become the centerpiece of your campaign says more about your campaign than it does about me."
Weatherwax
Shipmate
# 11920

- Posted      Profile for Weatherwax   Email Weatherwax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
I don't know about Joe the Plumber, but our late news is showing coverage of Sarah Palin's campaign stop in my state right now, and if I have to listen to that sing-song whine talking about "moose-huntin'" much more, I'm going to lose it.

--------------------
If thou couldst empty all thyself of self, Like to a shell dishabited, Then might He find thee on the Ocean shelf, And say—" This is not dead,"— And fill thee with Himself instead.
(formerly TE Brown)

Weatherwax
Shipmate
# 11920

- Posted      Profile for Weatherwax   Email Weatherwax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Oops - sorry about that last - here's what I meant to actually add:

Here's one conceptualization -
http://palinaspresident.com/

TEB

--------------------
If thou couldst empty all thyself of self, Like to a shell dishabited, Then might He find thee on the Ocean shelf, And say—" This is not dead,"— And fill thee with Himself instead.
(formerly TE Brown)

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

Yes! And arrgh, Palin, being interviewed on late TV here, not only repeated the Ayres lie, but went on to suggest that Obama is even now associating with enemies of America, for all we know.

You know, I'm having a hard time with this whole Christian branding of Palin. Isn't there a little clause in the Christian Contract (tm) somewhere about bearing false witness?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Plus there's that "golden rule" thing I've heard so much about. Restorationists must not have that in their Bibles.

--------------------

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

quote:
Originally posted by TE Brown:
quote:

Oops - sorry about that last - here's what I meant to actually add:

Here's one conceptualization -
http://palinaspresident.com/

TEB

Oh, I love it. Which is better -- the four blank diplomas? The science book in the wastebasket? Or the shot gun hidden in the drapes?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I thought McCain's take on abortion was interesting - that it should be decided on a state by state basis?

Is this just a nice way of not answering the question or does he have a history of putting forward this policy?

It's code language for "state's rights", which goes all the way back to the Civil War, or, as those who hold that pov like to call it, "The War of Northern Aggression".

Which makes one wonder what else should be left up to "state's rights"...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

It's code language for "state's rights", which goes all the way back to the Civil War, or, as those who hold that pov like to call it, "The War of Northern Aggression".

Which makes one wonder what else should be left up to "state's rights"...

Plus sometimes it's easier to fight those battles at the state level. We're seeing it in California right now with Prop 8, which if passed will write heterosexual marriage into the state constitution in order to overturn the state supreme court's ruling in favor of gay marriage.

To be fair, pretty much everyone wants to leave an issue up to the states if they don't think they can win on the federal level. It's not just a Republican thing, and given the association of the assertion of states' rights with slavery, I'm not sure that's not the wording I would use to discuss the anti-abortion folks' aims.

Abortion was one of the many topics where Obama did much better than McCain this evening. Saying that this is an issue where good people on either side can disagree and that we should all be working to reduce unintended pregnancies was a smart move. McCain thought he was making the smart move when he said he wouldn't have a litmus test, but then he essentially said people opposed to Roe v. Wade aren't qualified to sit on the Supreme Court -- we all know what he means, and he lost a bunch of moderates when he was busy shoring up his base, which is the story of the last six weeks.

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
I'm curious about something. I'm not able to watch the debate for various technological reasons so I'm going by running commentary on a couple of different sites. On the Cnn.com political ticker, a _lot_ of people have commented on McCain "grunting", or "making weird nosises", or "mumbling", and blinking and twitching. After hearing it read out loud to him, my husbands started thinking that McCain may have actually had a stroke recently. What do people think? Does it sound plausible? Does he really look/sound that "off"?

I've been thinking "mini-stroke" was a possibility for the last month or so. Not big enough to send someone to the hospital but things are definitely "off". So, no, it's not just your husband thinking that.

I saw some of the clips. Did McCain know it was going to be a split screen?

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Plus there's that "golden rule" thing I've heard so much about. Restorationists must not have that in their Bibles.

My bad. I should have said "Dominionist." Apologies to any this misspeaking may have offended -- it was unintentional: a brain fart.

[ 16. October 2008, 04:28: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

Thanks to both Cliffdweller and RuthW - as someone who's only been allowed to vote (in the USA) for two years, there's still some of this stuff that seems a little strange to me.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016