homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 90)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
I thought McCain's take on abortion was interesting - that it should be decided on a state by state basis?

"Come to Delaware for all your abortion needs!"

Is this just a nice way of not answering the question or does he have a history of putting forward this policy?

I'm old enough to remember when eastern-US women (who could afford it) went to Puerto Rico and one or two other places I can't recall to terminate pregnancies. I also once accompanied a pregnant friend on a trip involving blindfolds to an illegal abortion clinic organized by several churches. The clinic was staffed by qualified medical personnel, she was told, but there was no way to check on anything.

It was terrifying for both her and for me (her boyfriend flatly refused to go with her), and our "couriers" separated us at the end and made her do the last bit of the trip alone. She almost refused to go with them; she was greeen with fear.

And women with no resources at all were having to resort to dreadful means . . . oh, no. We just cannot go back to those times. I am no fan of abortion, but even less am I a fan of banning the practice.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
Thanks to both Cliffdweller and RuthW - as someone who's only been allowed to vote (in the USA) for two years, there's still some of this stuff that seems a little strange to me.

Oooooh, a new US voter! (And you're very welcome.) Must be weird.

I don't think McCain's had a stroke. I think he's just not nearly as savvy as Obama is about the way he looks on TV. If we're voting just on the basis of who we want to see on TV talking to us for the next four years (and let's face it, some people vote like that -- and Bush makes me want to heave a brick through the TV every time he comes on), Obama is the clear winner.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought McCain came off as even more peevish than usual--and his weirdly passionate defense of people who come to his and Palin's rallies came off as either denying that they've been yelling "kill him" or defending them for doing so. It seemed like a particularly abject bit of pandering to his most extreme base--getting booed must have shaken him.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Am I the only one who noticed that Sen. McCain had the last word on seven of the nine segments? I was yelling "no fair!" after the first three in a row.

If it was Sen. McCain's strategy (or cheap trick)to "eat up the clock" by rambling on near the end of each segment, I don't think that it affected the outcome.

At least, he has polished up his manners after two tries.

Greta

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
Am I the only one who noticed that Sen. McCain had the last word on seven of the nine segments? I was yelling "no fair!" after the first three in a row.

If it was Sen. McCain's strategy (or cheap trick)to "eat up the clock" by rambling on near the end of each segment, I don't think that it affected the outcome.

At least, he has polished up his manners after two tries.

Greta

manners??? Well, if Emily Post counseled interrupting, sneering, and making snide jokes, I guess those are manners.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, at least there was some debate! Obama's calmness may be studied - or maybe it's just him - but IMO tends to reinforce the impression of competence, and of coolness under fire. I thought McCain was energetic for about half an hour or so - then seemed to go quite passive for a long time. A bit like some teams in the NFL, he struck me as well coached for the first few "downs", but not so good off script. Until Roe v Wade, when he kind of woke up again.

Don't know the vox pop analysis; for me Obama was the more impressive candidate by some distance.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UnShaggy

UnSurly shipmate
# 82

- Posted      Profile for UnShaggy   Author's homepage   Email UnShaggy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Don't know the vox pop analysis; for me Obama was the more impressive candidate by some distance.

As one commentator put it: It was John McCain's best performance of the three debates but that's a bit like saying Fat Albert lost a little bit of weight.

--------------------
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Otto Neurath

Posts: 462 | From: That's me in the corner | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

<---- whoops, that was a link

[ 16. October 2008, 13:39: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] That's priceless, ken. 0$ even!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dick Morris of Newsmax.com is predicting a 396 - 110 victory for Obama. If you don't know who Dick Morris is or what Newsmax is, you might not appreciate the weight of that prediction.

Andrew Sullivan said, "[Morris] removed that figure from behind the very expensive suit covering his posterior." Which is probably true, but it's not the actual prediction numbers that are important, just the fact that Newsmax would predict such a lopsided victory.

When is the last time a Presidential election finished that lopsided, by the way?

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason I. Am:
When is the last time a Presidential election finished that lopsided, by the way?

On this map you can click the drop-down box to any presidential election under the present Constitution, and it gives the electoral college votes for everybody who got one, by state, and also the popular vote for as far back as that is known. It's a lot of fun to play with, a great time-waster!

Aside to Ken: priceless indeed!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Dick Morris of Newsmax.com is predicting a 396 - 110 victory for Obama. If you don't know who Dick Morris is or what Newsmax is, you might not appreciate the weight of that prediction.

Andrew Sullivan said, "[Morris] removed that figure from behind the very expensive suit covering his posterior." Which is probably true, but it's not the actual prediction numbers that are important, just the fact that Newsmax would predict such a lopsided victory.

Where shall I start?

1988 Bush Snr beat Dukakis 426 - 111
1984 Reagan bt Mondale 525 to 13
1980 Reagan bt Carter 489 - 49
1972 Nixon (!) bt McGovern 520 - 17

It goes on and on.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Mousethief. My question showed my age -- Clinton received over 300 electoral votes in both of his wins, and George Bush Sr. got over 400 when he beat Dukakis in 1988.

[ETA cross-posted with Sioni. I knew that elections used to be a lot more lopsided, but I wasn't aware that they were always that way up until 2000, as it seems.]

[ 16. October 2008, 15:02: Message edited by: Jason I. Am ]

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was horrified at McCain tossing off "women's health" as a flimsy fiction, having no relation to abortion rights and access. The World Time Clock whizzed back about a hundred years. Very, very sad.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ms Huffington seems quite clear in her assessment of the debate:

quote:

CBS, CNN, FOX INSTANT REACTION... OBAMA TROUNCES MCCAIN

REACTION: Arianna Huffington: McCain's Losing Strategy: Double Down On The Anger... Nora Ephron:McCain Seemed Off His Meds... Bob Shrum: Put McCain Out Of His Misery... Marty Kaplan: The Relentless Close-Ups Of McCain Were Cruel... Ari Melber: McCain's Entire Offensive Muddled... David Gergen: McCain "An Exercise In Anger Management... He Brought Back Memories Of Bob Dole In 1996"... NYT: McCain Seemed "Angry And Desperate"...
Ambinder: "We Saw A McXplosion"... Josh Marshall: McCain Didn't Land "Any Solid Punches"

DEBATE HIGHLIGHTS... McCain Forced To Say It To Obama's Face... McCain: My Feelings Have Been Hurt By Accusations Of Racism... Obama: The American Public Cares About Issues, Not Our Feelings... Obama: Mr. Ayers Has Been The Centerpiece Of McCain's Campaign... Let's Get The Record Straight...
MORE DEBATE HIGHLIGHTS... BLOGGING... VIDEO

"Joe The Plumber" Speaks: "It's Pretty Surreal"
WATCH: McCain's Deer In The Headlights Moment
WATCH: McCain Frowns, Rolls Eyes, Blinks More Than 3,000 Times
WATCH Obama On McCain Tax Claim: "Even Fox News Disputes It"
WATCH: 'Angry McCain' At Final Debate Already Famous On YouTube
WATCH: McCain Mockingly Suggests That Concerns For A Mother's Health Are Extreme
Conservative Voices Pan McCain's Performance
Revealed: Pope John Paul II Was Stabbed By Priest

(All those are of course links on the HuffPo front page, which has no doubt already been changed...)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God I wish they'd change their layout. SHOUTING ISN'T NICE! And runon headlines make it hard to read and that font who the hell picked that font?

[ 16. October 2008, 15:22: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
IIRC, both McCain's arms were broken and not re-set properly during his POW years, and he was forced to learn to write all over again with his left hand, as he could no longer write with his right.

I suspect a great deal of his stiffness stems, one way or another, from old injuries.

That might explain it. I have never seen McCain on that size screen before.

Does McCain win more votes for being a war hero than he loses for looking a lot older?

- where 'older' is a euphemism for dying within four years.

PS. Why did Mondale do so badly way back? Before my time.

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See Wikipedia on the 1984 POTUS election for details, but in a nutshell ...

Mondale lost because Reagan was a popular incumbent during an economic boom who ran a campaign that made people feel good. Mondale wanted to help the poor who weren't benefiting from the go-go 80s, and the middle class figured he'd tax the hell out of them to do it.

[ 16. October 2008, 16:23: Message edited by: RuthW ]

RuthW

# 13

Also, go on youtube and search for the Morning in America TV ad (punching in morning america reagan ought to do it). It's an absolutely brilliant ad; Reagan and his people had a pitch perfect sense of what the electorate wanted to hear.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All I could ever think about when I saw those ads was "...it's morning in America - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!"
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to last night's debate... did anyone else catch the moment, right after it was over, when McCain didn't know which way to walk and made a goofy face, sticking out his tongue? Pretty emblematic, I'd say.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anna B has it in one, I think.

Whatever the policy stances, McCain has come off through most of this campaign since his party's convention looking frantic, unpredictable, and angry. Obama has remained (apparently) calm and collected.

I have no idea how deeply the average voter goes into issues and policies, or how deeply swayed voters are by their impressions of the candidates' personas. But my freshman comp students, mostly recent high school grads who are being required by me to write papers on some aspect of the current Presidential campaign, seem largely to be VERY put off by Palin's attacks and McCain's erratic (to them) behavior.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheEzrahite17
Apprentice
# 10609

- Posted      Profile for TheEzrahite17   Email TheEzrahite17   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
Back to last night's debate... did anyone else catch the moment, right after it was over, when McCain didn't know which way to walk and made a goofy face, sticking out his tongue? Pretty emblematic, I'd say.

Zombie McCain Wants Brains

It made me laugh, if nothing else.

Posts: 35 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheEzrahite17:
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:

Zombie McCain Wants Brains

It made me laugh, if nothing else.

Is that real? Nobody has been out with Photoshop have they?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Wow, I can't believe someone caught it on camera. I saw it though, it happened. And was him just being silly. But, wow.
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Set it to music and it'd make one hell of a Flash animation.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:

McCain was always their man.

Huh? Were you following the race in the summer of 2007? I was, and McCain looked dead in the water.
Yeah, but look at the alternatives.

Giuliani: too much 9/11.
Romney: Mormon, git.
Huckabee: crazy policies, no money.
Paul: never a neocon, too outspoken.
Thompson: didn't care.
Hunter: who?

McCain had the history, the less conservative voting record, and the story to make him a candidate. The others didn't.

[ 16. October 2008, 18:35: Message edited by: Orb ]

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

McCain had the history, the less conservative voting record, and the story to make him a candidate. The others didn't.

I agree entirely. Sen. McCain is an atractive politican who had the best chance of swimming against the anti-Republican tide this election cycle.

But Republicans, like Democrats, refuse to get behind anyone who doesn't kowtow to them. That dynamic made it virtually impossible for Sen. McCain to run a campaign that distanced itself from the Republican ideology that people are sick of this year.

I expect that, once the election is over, Republicans will get together and decide that the reason that they lost was because Sen. McCain refused to sling all the dirt they thought he should. But this will be as unreflective as all the so-called soul searching that the Democrats did after Gore and Kerry each got whipped by a man who couldn't utter a single coherent sentence.

The sad fact is that both of our major political parties are out of touch with the electorate, and are immune to changing their bankrupt ways. Maybe it is time for a third party...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
The sad fact is that both of our major political parties are out of touch with the electorate, and are immune to changing their bankrupt ways. Maybe it is time for a third party...

You think?

That might be a bad idea. It might foster - what's the word? - democracy, or something...

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
quote:
quote:

Huh? Were you following the race in the summer of 2007? I was, and McCain looked dead in the water.

Hindsight and all that. McCain was down and out when primary season began. It took all those candidates getting in their own way to clear enough room for McCain.

Giuliani, Romney, and Thompson were strong candidates and Huckabee was a strong outsider chance. Like Choirboy said earlier, that the base couldn't decide on which of them to promote was what gave them all enough rope to hang themselves and move over for the McCain/Gimmick ticket that many now regret.

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
Whatever the policy stances, McCain has come off through most of this campaign since his party's convention looking frantic, unpredictable, and angry. Obama has remained (apparently) calm and collected.

This was noticeable at least in last night's debate. Obama has so grown in presence, gravitas, and cool-headedness, and one has the impression that McCain was buzzing around him like a fly, and not much more worrisome than that.
Usually, since the nomination, I thought that he was striving for a calm, reassuring persona, although there was so much history of abrasiveness and pique that one could see through it. Last night he let some of the old McCain come back out, probably on the advice of staff and fans, but it was another failed gamble.

As one caller on the radio noted, the President at times needs to be our diplomat-in-chief. How could McCain meet productively and confidently with an adversarial foreign head of state when he can hardly look a fellow American in the eye and keep his cool? The contrast with Obama's solidity spoke volumes.

That said, I'm impressed with the debating and impromptu speaking ability of both candidates this time around, compared to certain former years, when I couldn't get over how much better the congressional and gubernatorial debates were than the Presidential when it came to grasp of details.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re The Last Debate: When Bob Schieffer asked both if they thought they could do anything about energy independence in their four year term, both ignored the specific question and went into their speech about maybe ten years hence. What kept them from saying "nothing will change in four years"? This would have put to rest all the hype about drilling, nuclear power, wind power etc.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

IB: People often demand DIRECT ANSWERS! from the candidates. But a question about whether or not something will be "done" in four years is often a misleading one, and a direct answer would then be misleading as well.

Things that take 10 years won't be done in 10 years if they aren't started well in the first 4, so I can understand the tack of those answers. However, the solution to this problem isn't to then lie and answer the question directly but untruthfully, by saying something like, "Yes, I will balance the budget in four years."

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can it possibly be true that a woman who sent around a picture of a $10 food stamp with Obama's image at the center, along with pictures of fried chicken and watermelon was racially loaded? ( Here's the image in question.)

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The words "didn't realize the image" was inadvertently omitted from the previous post.

Preview post is my friend.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Re The Last Debate: When Bob Schieffer asked both if they thought they could do anything about energy independence in their four year term, both ignored the specific question and went into their speech about maybe ten years hence.

I agree: they both dropped the ball.

A few conservation-type things can change in four years. For one, we should encourage people to move closer to work: reduce the minimum distance differential in order to claim the tax deduction for moving expenses, and press for the repeal of all real estate transfer taxes for single homes and condos used as principal residence.

Secondly, we need to begin growing more food closer to where it is consumed. A ridiculous amount of food eaten in New York is grown in and shipped from California, usually by trucks. One reason that this has made economic sense until recently is water subsidies for California. Begin eliminating them. The distortion in the market introduced by such programs is an example of the government's being part of the problem rather than the solution. As such, even McCain might have mentioned it, but fat chance of that since Arizona probably benefits mightily as well.

Of course, from a transportation standpoint, there's no better place to produce food we eat than in our own back yards: where the climate is appropriate, bring back the victory garden, which supplied an estimated 40% of our vegetable needs in World War II. Start teaching schoolchildren how to garden and cook again. Use the bully pulpit by setting aside a couple acres for vegetables on the White House grounds. There would be many benefits if this exhortation caught on, in addition to energy savings.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Can it possibly be true that a woman who sent around a picture of a $10 food stamp with Obama's image at the center, along with pictures of fried chicken and watermelon [didn't realize the image] was racially loaded? ( Here's the image in question.)

I don't know, but there's a lot in this campaign that brings me up short like that. I read an article about Joe the plumber, where he said that Obama didn't answer his question about taxes, but instead "danced like Sammy Davis Jr." That one sure has rhythm, don't he?

It may not be as racist as it looks, but it's awfully hard to believe that...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

"Joe the plumber" has blown up in Sen. McCain's face.

Joe:

is not a plumber - he has no license

is working in violation of the local building codes

appears to earn considerably less than $250,000 (one wonders how much of his earnings find their way onto his tax forms)

owes $1,200 in back taxes

would almost certainly benefit from Sen. Obama's tax proposals

Greta

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Do you have a source, Greta?

Tom, I'm willing to give him the "Sammy Davis" line. Saying somebody is tapdancing on an issue is a well-worn phrase, and I'm busting my brain to think of anybody I can remember tapdancing aside from Sammy, Gene Kelly, and Fred Astaire. Sometimes a simile is just a simile.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine, I don't know. It's hard to believe, but then there really are some people who are dumb enough and clueless enough that they seriously might not know.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Shirley Temple! Doh! Although that comparison is loaded with racial overtones too.

--------------------

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Mousethief asked: Do you have a source, Greta?
Joe the Plumber doesn't need to sweat his future taxes because he hasn't paid his back taxes yet. Despite his claim to be an undecided Independent, he's actually a longtime registered Republican who voted in the Republican primary. And oh, he's not a licensed plumber.

So sayeth the Associated Press.

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by foolhearty:

Whatever the policy stances, McCain has come off through most of this campaign since his party's convention looking frantic, unpredictable, and angry

On another forum, a poster remarked that it seems like McCain's whole definition of leadership is "scramble the jets!" That's what he thinks leadership is-- "DO something! Now!Now!Now! Don't care what it is just do it do it do it NOW!!!"

That seems to be his whole campaign strategy-- Obama's ahead?-- pick a random wildcard Veep no one expects! Do it do it now! Economy tanks? -- suspend the campaign! Do it do it now! That didn't impress anyone? --Get back in! Do it do it now! Obama's still ahead? Run attack ads claiming he's a terrorist! Do it do it now! Backlash at an obvious underhanded lie? Yell at your own supporters who are parrotting your ads! Do it do it now!

Hysterical leadership. Not really what I want in the guy who's got his finger on the launch codes.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Sometimes a simile is just a simile.

In my heart, I just can't believe it. I acknowledge that you are the better man for being able to muster that level of generosity toward another, but it's more than I can convince myself of.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hindsight and all that. McCain was down and out when primary season began. It took all those candidates getting in their own way to clear enough room for McCain.

Giuliani, Romney, and Thompson were strong candidates and Huckabee was a strong outsider chance. Like Choirboy said earlier, that the base couldn't decide on which of them to promote was what gave them all enough rope to hang themselves and move over for the McCain/Gimmick ticket that many now regret.

I agree with this "hindsight is 20/20" observation. There's a reason that the Huckabee campaign came out of nowhere to surprise people in Iowa: the evo segment of the base was looking for a candidate who wasn't Guiliani (who was definitely the early press favorite, but apparently he thought that "noun, verb, 9/11" was enough campaigning) or McCain.

Factors contributing towards McCain's turnaround:

* Back-to-basics campaign
* High name recognition among R primary voters
* Well-respected by independents so did well in states with open/modified open primaries (e.g. NH), especially after the Huckabee win in Iowa
* Winner take all for most R primaries instead of proportionate like the Ds - McCain won big states
* Front-weighting of primaries meant that his NH bounce was good momentum and carried through. It was a horserace through Superduper Pancake Tuesday but over after that.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies if this has already been up, but even then, it'd be worth watching twice:

Barack Hussein Obama

Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

A bit more on Joe:

A hopsital also has a lien on his home, which suggests that he may have some problems with health coverage.

His desire to buy out his boss in their two-man plumbing operation is best described as a pipe dream rather than anything that is at all likely to happen during the Presidency of either McCain or Obama.

The business supposedly generates a grand total of $250,000 annually (funny thing about that figure), so it is quite certain that both he and his boss would come out ahead with Obama's tax plan, not to mention Obama's health plan.

I have a feeling that the more we learn about Joe, the less Sen. McCain will embrace him as a poster boy, even if it turns out that he has a fondness for beer.

I had a great laugh when he advised voters to "be educated" before casting their ballots.

Greta

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Set it to music and it'd make one hell of a Flash animation.

I can't swing a cat on LiveJournal today without seeing either a still or an animated version of McCain last night (some with music but most are "macroed" - with captions).

For something completely different (and funny), here are McCain and Obama at the annual Al Smith Dinner. (Via HuffPo)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anybody know if the Obama lawsuit is actually viable one? I just got some tin-foil sounding e-mails about it (pls just google "is obama a citizen" if you are not aware of what I am talking about somehow). And if this has been mentioned and gone over already somewhere, I apologize in advance.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Both McCain and Obama did a nice job with their comedy routines at the charity dinner. I hope McCain enjoyed it, as he got positively spanked on Dave Letterman's show tonight.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016