homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: New Archbishop of Westminster (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: New Archbishop of Westminster
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'+Vin 'reminds me of a former Archbishop of Glasgow,Thomas Cardinal Winning, who reputedly translated 'Christus vincit' as 'Christ is Winning'
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Well quite. I couldn't agree more. We're the only Archdiocese in this country which seems to think we must lose the Arch bit.

If it helps the cause, you could point out that the Episcopal Church in the USA likewise feels that "arch" is not necessary. Perhaps it would be useful to speak with a dignitary from the ECUSA? I could suggest one or two who might have an impact...

angelicum, thank you for looking it up! I was hoping to catch a bit of it--on EWTN or online somewhere--before I left for work in the morning, but I'm afraid I have fallen victim to daylight savings time. I'll have to record it.

It seems a little odd to me. In Anglican circles the see of an Archbishop is a diocese but as far as I know the usage in the Roman Catholic Church is Archdiocese. The Anglican usage is left over from before the Reformation. However, I think Westminster, for the sake of uniformity, needs to stop imitating Anglican oddities.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
However, I think Westminster, for the sake of uniformity, needs to stop imitating Anglican oddities.

PD

Hear, hear.

Byzantine cathedral..
Anglican diocesan name...

The only thing missing:

Methodist hymnody... [Razz]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ogre
Shipmate
# 4601

- Posted      Profile for Ogre   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the district of jurisdiction of an Anglican archbishop called a province ? Or is there some subtle difference between a province and an archdiocese? [Votive]

--------------------
Pete Ergo Religionem

['Therefore Seek a Way of Life']

Posts: 480 | From: West Midlands, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Province is a collection of dioceses. The senior bishop in the Province is the Metropolitan Archbishop, and his diocese is the Archdiocese of that Province. That's the Catholic version. I think the only difference with Anglicans is they do not use the "Archdiocese" apellation.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Office of Vespers from the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Patron of the Diocese of Westminster under the title Our Blessed Lady the Immaculate was sung earlier by the Choir of Westminster Cathedral, presided by three auxillaries, and in the presence of the Archbishop-Designate, the outgoing cardinal, the papal nuncio, and the chapter and canons of the Cathedral. Litany of the Saints was sung in procession (with two coped cantors) prior to the actual office invoking the patron and titula saints of the schools, religious communities and parishes of the diocese, including the sainted Archbishops of Canterbury. +Nichols gave a meditation. The Magnificat was sung to a setting in the eighth tone by David Bevan, and the motet was Ave Virgo Sanctissima by Francisco Guerrero. The blessing was imparted by Bishop Stack, and all sang the Regina Caeli in conclusion.

All very edifying.

The Catholic Herald has some more information regarding tomorrows ceremonies for the Installation Mass. Click here.

Some of the more "strange" extras:
quote:
Before the Mass:
- Cathedral chaplains process to the sanctuary to sing Lauds together with the congregation
- Concelebrating priests, permanent deacons and seminarians enter the Cathedral
- Westminster canons leave the sacristy and take their places in the sanctuary
- The chapter sings Terce with the congregation
- The sanctuary procession enters the Cathedral
- Provosts and canons move from the sanctuary to the West Door

Solemn reception of the Archbishop:
- The choir sings "Tu es pastor ovium"
- Archbishop kneels at threshold of Cathedral
- A fanfare is sounded, the Archbishop is greeted by the Provost, who presents him with a crucifix, which he kisses
- The Archbishop sprinkles himself and the chapter with holy water
- Procession passes up the nave to the sanctuary, while the choir sings "Summae Trinitati"
- The Archbishop kneels before the high altar, while the Provost prays for him
Solemn installation of the archbishop:
- Bishop John Arnold reads the Apostolic Letter of authority from the Holy See
- The Provost leads the Archbishop to the throne, places him in it and reads the formula of installation
- Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor presents the Archbishop with the crozier
- The Provost and Canons greet the Archbishop, followed by other representatives of the diocese
- The choir sings "Benedictus Deus"
- The Archbishop of Canterbury greets the Archbishop
- All sing the hymn "All people that on earth do dwell"
- The Provost says the Collect

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provost of the cathedral. That's interesting: is it another Westminster 'peculiar'? C of E cathedrals now all have Deans, and I thought that Catholic ones did too now. IIRC they used to be Administrators.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the article meant Provost of the Chapter of Canons. The Cathedral College of Chaplains is headed by an Administrator. (Although in Liverpool Met they call him a Dean like their Anglican counterparts).
Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The English hierarchy decided a few years ago to allow the priest in charge of the Cathedral to be called a Dean, as the Anglicans have. Soem adopted the practice (such as Liverpool and Southwark) while others did not - such as Westminster. Ours is still called an Administrator. This comes from the idea that the Parish Priest of the Cathedral is the bishop. Because he cannot fulfill the function adequately he appoints another priest to administer it for him. In Westminster that is currently the magnificent Canon Christopher Tuckwell (once upon a time an Anglican Vicar in Tottenham).

The Provost, by contrast, is the head honcho of the Chapter of Canons. That is Canon Michael Brockie, Parish Priest in Chelsea.

Vespers was a lovely affair, though it began with a rather bizarre and heretical (if one might even give it such a lofty description) set of invocations in the Litany of the Saints. Someone had the laudable idea of having the Litany of the Saints comprise all the saints who are patrons of the parishes in the diocese. All well and good. But clearly the one who put it together was no theologian! We started with the customary:

Lord have mercy - Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy - Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy - Lord have mercy

O God the Father of Heaven - Have mercy upon us
O God the Son, Redeemer of the world - Have mercy upon us
O God the Holy Spirit - Have mercy upon us
Holy Trinity, One God - Have mercy upon us

Then moved into the titular patrons, asking them, in the customary response: Pray for us

Except, we began with titles of the Lord and had the bizarre first set of invocations, along the lines of:

Sacred Heart of Jesus - Pray for us
Most Holy Redeemer - Pray for us
Jesus, Holy Saviour - Pray for us
Most Holy Trinity - Pray for us

Pray for us?!?!? [Eek!] What???? [Ultra confused] That's utter rubbish! [Disappointed] Who on earth allowed that to get past deserves flogging with a rosary! [brick wall]

The last two petitions were lovely:

Bless a hundredfold your servant Cormac, Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church - Lord Jesus, hear our prayer

Bless Vincent, chosen to be Archbishop of this Diocese of Westminster Lord Jesus, hear our prayer

The rest was quite beautiful. Restrained, dignified and homely. The Archbishop's homily (it was more than a meditation I think, angelicum) was exceptionally good. And he dealt with today's bleak news about child abuse from Ireland head on. Magnificent. I wondered what Cardinal Mahoney of Los Angeles, also in the sanctuary, made of that. His homily can be heard here. Totally Christocentric.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Oh, and I thought he made an oblique reference to the oft-spoken assertion that he is ambitious. He spoke about St Paul's ambition: "I want only the perfection that comes from faith in Christ Jesus" and "all I want is to know Christ Jesus". I thought that was very clever.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Okay, I have found the Order of Service online. pdf available here. The above was posted fromn memory. These were the actual offending invocations:

Jesus, Saint Saviour
Jesus, Holy Redeemer
Jesus, Christ the King
Jesus, Good Shepherd
Jesus, Divine Saviour
Holy Trinity, one God

And these were the final petitions which I liked:

Reward a hundredfold your servant Cormac, Cardinal Priest of your Holy Church

Bless and sustain your servant Vincent, chosen to be Archbishop of Westminster

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Westminster that is currently the magnificent Canon Christopher Tuckwell (once upon a time an Anglican Vicar in Tottenham).

How many Catholic Priests has the Anglican Parish of Tottenham drummed out then?

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably two if you count the fellow present when the Reformation came down the street.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

There's more than one Anglican parish in Tottenham. I can think of 5 currently serving RC priests in this diocese who were in one of them;

Bishop Alan Hopes
Canon Christopher Tuckwell
Canon Stuart Wilson
Fr Peter Wilson
Fr Lamont Phillips.

All of them were at St Paul's Tottenham, apart from Canon Tuckwell, who was at St Mary's.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we going to have a Mystery Worship today? We did for Canterbury when he was "promoted" and Gambit was there, of course, in those days. It would be a bit different probably, with apparently this about-to-be archbishop is going to be on his knees outside before he bashes the door and goes in and is given the traditional shepherd's stick from his predecessor.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Motr
Apprentice
# 8994

- Posted      Profile for Motr   Email Motr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....and after the installation mass, Rowan Williams will be taking the short walk down Victoria Street to Westminster Abbey to preside and preach at the 5.00pm Sung Eucharist for the Feast of the Ascension.
Posts: 12 | From: Greater London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

Here is the full Order of Service for the Reception, Installation and Pontifical Mass. Lauds and Terce are not included in the document.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's more than one Anglican parish in Tottenham. I can think of 5 currently serving RC priests in this diocese who were in one of them;

Bishop Alan Hopes
Canon Christopher Tuckwell
Canon Stuart Wilson
Fr Peter Wilson
Fr Lamont Phillips.

All of them were at St Paul's Tottenham, apart from Canon Tuckwell, who was at St Mary's.

That's very impressive. Now if only the average CATHOLIC Parish produced as many priests.... [Biased]

Max.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My ears! [Eek!] [Help] [Eek!]

I have been thoroughly enjoying the beautiful music from Westminster but they have just rushed, butchered, and mangled almost beyond recognition, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's Lord's Prayer. What on earth was the Master of Music (or whatever the correct title is) thinking?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, so they've gone some way towards redeeming themselves with the beautiful Te Deum. I love settings of things that alternate between the plainsong melody that everyone knows and polyphony by the choir. It seems the best way to integrate choral and congregational singing.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that at Vespers the hymn was "Holy Light on Earth's Horizon." I've never heard that hymn sung, but, reading it, have always thought it rather beautiful.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cyprian's remarks about the Our Father notwithstanding, I thought it magnificent and the music utterly superb. My favourite bits, however, were the constant cuts to shots of our own Fr TT....what a handsome, distinguished and pious looking man he is.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Cyprian's remarks about the Our Father notwithstanding, I thought it magnificent and the music utterly superb. My favourite bits, however, were the constant cuts to shots of our own Fr TT....what a handsome, distinguished and pious looking man he is.

It was exceptionally good, Trisagion. I didn't mean to disparage the whole thing. It's just that one piece that I think was terribly misjudged in the manner of its execution.

--------------------

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

I especially enjoyed the second fanfare just after the Gospel. That was especially brilliant and as Anna Arco of the Catholic Herald puts it - "What our country needs. More fanfare."

The music stood out obviously (but I wish Huw Edwards and Mgr Langham wouldn't talk over the music - some bits of it like Colin Mawby's Ave Verum was interspersed with commentary!). Also very impressed at the way they used the High Altar. I wish it could be used like that all the time. The BBC's camera shots were particularly attractive. I loved the sense of space the camera captured, and focussing on different parts of the Cathedral at the right moments - the Lady Chapel for the Hail Mary for example.

And you couldn't end a service like that without Widor's Marche Pontifical complete with brass section. Now that with the choir and clergy snaking it's way down the great nave was a sight to behold.

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

Some other points:

Birmingham's Diocesan chasubles look nicer than ours. Boo. [Frown] (I like ours though but theirs is more telegenic, probably because it's gold as opposed to white).

+Vin has a nice singing voice. That's a surprise considering he's a bishop and all.

That's the way Westminster have always sung the English Our Father. Normally it's without organ accompaniment though. Perhaps that's why it sounded like a speeding bullet (and it did, I agree with Cyprian). It's unfortunate that they chose the English version - for their normal sung masses they always sing the Pater in Latin to plainsong (as well as the Preface), the Rimsky-Korsakoff version being reserved for Vespers.

Why was the Credo sung at a Votive Mass of St Paul?

The singing of the Benedictus Deus as the Archbishop received the greetings of his priests and flock was very moving.

antSJD
Shipmate
# 13598

- Posted      Profile for antSJD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We watched some of it in the Chaplaincy with low volume and subtitles. The subtitles were particularly funny, especially when talking about the 'vegetable college in Rome'.
Posts: 440 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Are we going to have a Mystery Worship today?

There was a Mystery Worshipper lined up to do it. Assuming he went ahead, I'm looking forward to seeing his report when he files it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Thank you, angelicum, for confirming my impression of the Lord's Prayer. I don't want anyone to think I was sniping. I really enjoyed watching that, and the music really was exceptional for the most part. I especially appreciated the camera's focus on the reverse side of the Cross, which you don't usually get to see unless you're singing or serving. I hadn't seen it before but it's really very beautiful.

For anybody who didn't get to see it on the Beeb, it looks as though it will be repeated on EWTN in about an hour's time.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelicum:

+Vin has a nice singing voice. That's a surprise considering he's a bishop and all....Why was the Credo sung at a Votive Mass of St Paul?

I thought his singing was dreadful! Creed because it is Ascension Day? (Oh, you lot have moved it to Sunday).

Otherwise, I found it very moving. nice to have James Macmillan's music - an interesting young-ish catholic. Nice to have some Latin.

Interesting that he did not knock the West Door with his pastoral staff - as was rumoured he was going to do.

It was so good that I had that occasional tug in my heart telling me that I should join the RCC. I often do.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I thought his singing was dreadful!

Dreadful? You need to get out more. I could introduce you to some really, really dreadful singing.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Creed because it is Ascension Day? (Oh, you lot have moved it to Sunday).

Could it be that, since it's the installation of an archbishop, it's considered a kind of local solemnity and that's why the Creed was used?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was so good that I had that occasional tug in my heart telling me that I should join the RCC. I often do.

You and me both. Perhaps we could start a society: Left-wing inclusive Anglicans who yearn for Mother. [Smile]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
quote:

Dreadful? You need to get out more. I could introduce you to some really, really dreadful singing.
Yes, I know that there are worse. it is almost a qualification for the episcopate that you can't sing.

Minor tat thingy: I notice that the deacon censed the Book of the gospels with 3 triples and that + Vincent did likewise to the cross at the offertory.

Thurible (he of that alias, not a talking censer) told me that triples were an Anglican affectation and I have beaten myself up for using triples when I read/sing the gospel..

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was trying to watch the repeat online on EWTN but it cut off in the middle of the homily and I couldn't get it to play again. Will the video be archived online anywhere?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

The diocesan website expect to have videos up in due course.
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
quote:

I'll bet a fiver I can top it with my example.

Have you ever been in a situation where the priest has chanted the opening versicle of Vespers, only to be greeted by a stunned silence, accompanied by the avoidance of eveyone present of making eye contact with anyone else, and followed by a solitary giggle from someone in the congregation? Cos I have, and what the new archbishop did earlier today, while perhaps not delivered with the smoothest voice, was nothing like it. I think he held the tune on key and delivered the notes and words with clarity.

--------------------

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

For those in the UK, it's available on demand BBC iPlayer for another week.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:
Creed because it is Ascension Day? (Oh, you lot have moved it to Sunday).

Could it be that, since it's the installation of an archbishop, it's considered a kind of local solemnity and that's why the Creed was used?
IIRC, the Creed is a traditional part of the ordination rite. Even though ordination was not taking place today, I have little doubt that the situation today is a carry-over from the similar ordination rite. I'm actually surprised that they didn't schedule it on a feast day. It seems that most installation masses in the US are scheduled to coincide with saintly days on which the Gloria would be sung.

[I'm also surprised that the archbishop has an English accent. I tend to forget these things when I read posts here online... [Hot and Hormonal] I suppose the British shipmates also speak with accents, eh?]

[ 21. May 2009, 21:20: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
I suppose the British shipmates also speak with accents, eh?

All people who speak do so with an accent, otherwise we wouldn't be able to hear them. [Razz] [Biased]

I just found it refreshing to hear a choir on EWTN that did't pronounce t like d, didn't exaggerate pronunciation of the letter r each time it occurred, and didn't elongate its vowels. [Two face]

Seriously, it was good to see Bishop Elisey of Sourozh and Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira there.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

I haven't watched the entire ceremony, however I noticed that our numbers were down at college for our 1pm Eucharist so I guess a lot of people who would usually be at our college were either watching the installation on TV or managed to get into the ceremony itself.

I actually have had the pleasure of studying with Deacon Vincent (Vinnie) who read the Gospel at the installation, he will be ordained a priest in the next year and he's awesome [Big Grin]

Max.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Perhaps we could start a society: Left-wing inclusive Anglicans who yearn for Mother. [Smile]

We're always here when you want to come home.

[code]

[ 21. May 2009, 21:51: Message edited by: Cyprian ]

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

Well, I decided to get off my butt and check the GIRM (imagine that) about the Creed and this is what it says :
quote:
68. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

I think it's safe to say that the installation of an archbishop falls under "particular celebrations of a more solemn character".

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Minor tat thingy: I notice that the deacon censed the Book of the gospels with 3 triples and that + Vincent did likewise to the cross at the offertory.

The GIRM stipulates three swings for the Gospel book and the gifts at the offertory. However, it does not stipulate the nature of these swings. My common experience of RC churches is that they are three double-swings but I don't suppose there's anything in the modern rite that precludes three triple swings if that is local custom. Perhaps the Ceremonial of Bishops has more information.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
quote:
Perhaps we could start a society: Left-wing inclusive Anglicans who yearn for Mother. [Smile]

[code]

Nah, you're not Mum, just a rather strange and exotic Auntie. (Who I love and respect dearly, but from a distance).
[Biased]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Killing me]

Nicely done Angloid!

I have just come home from it all! reception afterwards and then a little celebration with friends this evening. It was magical, and things look good for the future of the Archdiocese (that word appeared ever so often, thanks be to God! None of the Diocese nonsense)

Am a bit tired now and need to watch video footage of it, so not too much to say yet. Except dear old Cormac stole the show at the end with his customary humour, charm and gentle touch. That was when the first applause happened. May God reward him for keeping going with courage and humility through some difficult times and some carping from certain circles!

--------------------

antSJD
Shipmate
# 13598

- Posted      Profile for antSJD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[code]

Nah, you're not Mum, just a rather strange and exotic Auntie. (Who I love and respect dearly, but from a distance).
[Biased]

That sort of Auntie that could easily embarass you if you got up close. The sort at a wedding. [Two face]

--------------------
I yearn to understand some measure of your truth which my heart believes and loves. For I do not understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand.

Posts: 440 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Am a bit tired now and need to watch video footage of it, so not too much to say yet. Except dear old Cormac stole the show at the end with his customary humour, charm and gentle touch. That was when the first applause happened. May God reward him for keeping going with courage and humility through some difficult times and some carping from certain circles!

That was splendid of him, wasn't it? We saw you too. [Smile]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Is someone going to release highlights of the service on YouTube, with a big red ring round Triple Tiara so that we can all see what he looks like?
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Biased]

Your Aunt must be very strange and exotic if she sports a luxuriant Orthodox beard. [Big Grin]

I thought the whole service magnificent.

Unfortunately I didn't hear the fanfare on his arrival - the two prats on EWTN chattered through it!! Particularly ironic because as a TV commentator for the funeral rites of JPII and the Inaugural Mass of BXVI ++Vincent KNEW WHEN TO SHUT UP!

I was able to watch the recorded BBC coverage in the evening and was much moved and impressed - except for the Rimsky-Korsakov. [Eek!]

I must confess to a perverse pleasure in seeing Boy George (Carey) having to sing the Creed in Latin. [Snigger]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Chad:
Your Aunt must be very strange and exotic if she sports a luxuriant Orthodox beard. [Big Grin]

Well, quite. If a bunch of bearded men reminds someone of an aunt, I'd respectfully suggest HRT may be in order. [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016