homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Feasts of Mary (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Feasts of Mary
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was looking at a website which has loads of Feasts of Mary listed.

If you click here you'll see what I mean.

Does the church you go to keep a variety of Marian feats. Which ones? Are they kept with any special events / customs?

[ 29. August 2009, 10:34: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laetare:
Does the church you go to keep a variety of Marian feats.

No. Lutheran churches tend to stay away from them.

On our calendar we have:
25 March: Annunciation of our Lord
Visitation somewhere in late May (31st?--don't have hymnal handy)
15 August: Mary, Mother of our Lord

We celebrate other dates as:
1 Jan: The Holy Name
2 Feb: Presentation of our Lord

My own church is not well-known for celebrating anything that falls on a weekday. If 15 August were to fall on a Sunday, we would celebrate it, otherwise not. Same with 1 January or 2 February. The others fall within privileged seasons and cannot replace a Sunday within, say, Lent or Easter.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of these feasts seem to be local in nature (Rome, Guadeloupe, Copacobana (!)), so most of us are unlikely to have experienced them. I'm an Anglican, so have experienced only the ones that Anglicans tend to celebrate - Annunciation, Assumption, Our Lady's birthday, Visitation.

Westminster Cathedral in London does a procession through the streets for Our Lady of Ransom on a date I forget. There must be a feast day for the Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham, but I don't know when it is, and there is an annual service for Our Lady of Pew in Westminster Abbey.

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like Martin L's, my parish tends not to do much in the way of weekday feasts. I attend this church for most Marian feasts. In the Anglican Church of Canada, these are:

*the Conception of the BVM (Dec 8)
*the Presentation of Christ and Purification of the BVM (Feb 2)
*the Annunciation (Mar 25)
*the Visitation (May 31 [BAS] or Jul 2 [BCP])
*the Falling Asleep of the BVM (Aug 15)
*the Nativity of the BVM (Sep 8)

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feasts of the Theotokos in the O. Church, starting at the beginning of the year (i.e. September 1). Not including observances of famous icons relating to same.

Nativity of the Theotokos, Sept 8 (one of the 12)
Protection of the M.H.T., Oct 1
Synaxis of the MHT, Dec 26
Meeting of our Lord in the Temple, Feb 2 (one of the 12, considered a Marian feast and not a dominical one)
Annunciation, Mar 25 (one of the 12)
Robe of the Theotokos, July 2
Dormition, Aug 15 (one of the 12)

I probably missed some -- I was just looking through the wall calendar for 2008.

For all there are special appointed hymns. The Annunciation, which almost always occurs in Lent or Holy Week, almost always lightens the fast. This year we got to eat fish! Yay! [Smile]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:

Westminster Cathedral in London does a procession through the streets for Our Lady of Ransom on a date I forget.

Would it be September 24th? That's the feast of Our Lady of Ransom , also known as Our Lady of Mercy. That's always a big festival with a solemn mass and a traditional seven Saturday novena in preparation for the feast. The side altar of our lady gets decked out like This.
Attending a parish with Mary as the patron,run be a religious order counting her as their foundress has it's perks.
The apparition of Our Lady of Lourdes is the patron of my parish, so that's usually observed with a solemn mass, no matter what day it falls on. There's a local feast of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal also that gets celebrated in my diocese also.
Course, I'm RC, so I get all the little feasts too. [Biased]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I probably missed some -- I was just looking through the wall calendar for 2008.

Thank you for listing them, Mousethief. Among my favourites is the Presentation of the Mother of God in the Temple, (21st November). It is of special significance to Benedictines but also means much to me as a Christian, aside from any particular affiliation.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Does the church you go to keep a variety of Marian feats. Which ones? Are they kept with any special events / customs?

We have all those feasts, plus every Saturday is a Mary Day and the month of May and October. My church is also big on Medjegore so we often have extra days of praise, worship and all things marian during summer months. I don't know though - I lead the music for them but I try not to get too involved, usually coach loads of old women!

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
quote:

We have all those feasts, plus every Saturday is a Mary Day and the month of May and October. My church is also big on Medjegore so we often have extra days of praise, worship and all things marian during summer months. I don't know though - I lead the music for them but I try not to get too involved, usually coach loads of old women!

Max.

I bet the Lourdes Hymn gets short shrift [Biased]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh gawd, it's not as bad as my London Church - It's requested each week!

Thanking Blessed Mary by Paddy Kelly is something that I covered at the last event.

The Marian Anthem is another favourite.

I really do wish Tim Hughes and Matt Redman would write some Marian stuff, Catholics are so good at writing cheesy music, I would love some Marian stuff which isn't old or cheesy.

Oh and "As I kneel before you" is banned. One of the verses is heretical, can you work out which one it is?

Max.

[ 01. September 2008, 23:58: Message edited by: Max. ]

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What! Nothing for February 29? Seems they are heretically denying our Lady's claim to EVERY day of the year...

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Among my favourites is the Presentation of the Mother of God in the Temple, (21st November). It is of special significance to Benedictines but also means much to me as a Christian, aside from any particular affiliation.

Eek! And that's one of the 12, too! [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
What! Nothing for February 29? Seems they are heretically denying our Lady's claim to EVERY day of the year...

It doesn't work out timewise, but I think Luke 1:41 says it all.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wottinger
Shipmate
# 13176

- Posted      Profile for Wottinger   Email Wottinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming soon ... we keep Our Lady of Walsingham (September 24th), then there's Immacualte Conception in December (8th). Both observed here on weekdays. (We're Anglican).

--------------------
We'd love you to visit our Church's blog. Just click here. Thanks.

Posts: 349 | From: In the night garden | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:

Westminster Cathedral in London does a procession through the streets for Our Lady of Ransom on a date I forget. There must be a feast day for the Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham, but I don't know when it is, and there is an annual service for Our Lady of Pew in Westminster Abbey.

Our Lady of Walsingham is celebrated on 24th September - this date was previously kept as the English Marian festival of Our Lady of Ransom. The anniversary of the Translation of the Image to the Holy House is also celebrated at the Anglican shrine at Walsingham.

As noted, apart from the 'biggies', these are mostly local celebrations. I've always wanted to acquire a novel image of Herself and declare my own, but I'm not wholly sure how one goes about it!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wottinger
Shipmate
# 13176

- Posted      Profile for Wottinger   Email Wottinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the 2009 Ordo (Fr Hunwicke's lectionary) he has:
December 10th The Holy House: Loretto, Walsingham and Glastonbury. Where does that come from?

--------------------
We'd love you to visit our Church's blog. Just click here. Thanks.

Posts: 349 | From: In the night garden | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10th December in the old Roman calendar is the Feast of the Translation of the Holy House of Loreto, commemorating the arrival of the 'holy house' in Loreto after its 'flight 'from Nazareth to Tersatto by Fiume, now called Rijeka in Croatia.

The legend of the miraculous translation of the holy house was a popular one in medieval times and there are many copies of the Holy house to be found all over Europe. Many date fronm the time of the counter reformation,the best known being Loreto in Prague with its most famous bejewelled monstrance.

Certainly in the restored shrine of Walsingham the story of Loreto serves as a background to the story of the Holy House of Walsingham and I would imagine that is why the date of 10th December has been given. The calendar you mention is an AngloCatholic one and not a Roman Catholic one,I think.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Thanking Blessed Mary by Paddy Kelly is something that I covered at the last event.

I really do wish Tim Hughes and Matt Redman would write some Marian stuff, Catholics are so good at writing cheesy music, I would love some Marian stuff which isn't old or cheesy.

Oh and "As I kneel before you" is banned. One of the verses is heretical, can you work out which one it is?

Max.

Do tell! I have never heard if the song but would love some ammunition to confirm my prejudices!

BTW every Saturday used to be a feast of Our Lady in English Missal days.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The following Marian feasts make it to our (Anglo-Catholic) diocesan calendar

8 Dec. - Conception of the BVM
Friday of Passion Week - The Compassion of the BVM
25 March - Annunciation
2 July - Visitation
15 August - Assumption
8 September - Nativity BVM
15 Sept - Seven Sorrows of the BVM
7 October - Holy Rosary of the BVM
21 November - Presentation of the BVM

Only the Annuciation and the Assumption are "red letter days." Most parishes in the diocese also observe the Nativity. In this parish we go a little further and observe the Conception, the Annunciation, the Compassion of the BVM, the Visitation, the Assumption and the Nativity.

Confusingly, the diocesan calendar used to give three possible dates for Our Lady of Walsingham - 24 September, 10 December, or "the last Saturday in May."

PD

[ 02. September 2008, 16:57: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Monastic Breviary from the Order of the Holy Cross, in one of its departures from the 1979 BCP, provides for the observance of the Presentation of the BVM, which is consistent with the Order's orientation of "broad church with Anglo-Catholic hangovers."
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
BTW every Saturday used to be a feast of Our Lady in English Missal days.

Still is in our parish, if there's no other feast. This coming Saturday on the parish kalendar: Votive of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Confusingly, the diocesan calendar used to give three possible dates for Our Lady of Walsingham - 24 September, 10 December, or "the last Saturday in May."

PD

Goodness! The official RC feast-day, the feast of the Holy House and the Saturday before the National Pilgrimage. Is one permitted all three, or would that just be greedy? (not that there isn't enough Pilgrim Hymn to go round, of course...)

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

In the Orthodox Church, it's the 15th of October, which is also the date listed by the Anglican Society of Mary.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. Seems there are a wide variety of Mary feasts. Are they kept in any special ways in your local church - like meals or special customs. I had in mind local custom rather than offical stuff.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

In Toronto, the bulk of the Anglo-Catholic parishes band together for the May Festival of Our Lady each year. Each Saturday in May, apart from the Victoria Day weekend, there is Mass at a different church, followed by lunch, and (on the first two Saturdays) Rosary and Benediction. On the last Saturday of May, the Visitation is kept at the Church of St Mary Magdalene, with a Solemn High Mass and Outdoor Procession ("taking the old girl out for a walk," as I heard a churchwarden describe it). It's quite impressive to walk down Bathurst Street as the police direct traffic around us (and it happens again on Corpus Christi).
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post 
My Anglo-Catholic parish observes most of western-rite feasts, with special festivities at Candlemas (Solemn Evensong, Procession, and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament)and the Assumption (Procession and Solemn Mass). We also offer a Votive Mass of Our Lady on "open" Saturdays.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

PD

Goodness! The official RC feast-day, the feast of the Holy House and the Saturday before the National Pilgrimage. Is one permitted all three, or would that just be greedy? (not that there isn't enough Pilgrim Hymn to go round, of course...)
We were told to pick one. I favoured the September date. The last couple of years the editor has gone with the October 15th date, which is a bit inconvenient being so close to Holy Rosary, but I think most of our shacks would observe OLW would also keep Holy Rosary. As I said most of our parishes keep the big three - either Conception or Annunciation, together with the Assumption and the Nativity.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The third one. Our Lady doesn't smile. She has a serene gaze.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I kneel before you,
And I see your smiling face,
Ev'ry thought, ev'ry word
Is lost in your embrace.

Surely it is not heretical to believe that Jesus, let alone our Lady smiled.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was joking, leo. Personally, I don't see anything heretical in the hymn at all. The second verse is a bit OTT but only in a Bernard of Clairvaux way.

Thurible

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Sorry - I lose my sense of humour on these boards because the orthodox and the evangelicals come along and tell me i am destined for hell otherwise.

So I hope Max comes along and says why it is 'heretical'

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Thanks. It's interesting to hear how other people observe these feasts. What about the 'after mass' - do you have any distinctive meal or celebration associated with a particular feast in your church? I know a friend's church where they have wine and cheese after the feast of Our Lady's Visitation.
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We shall be observing the Nativity of the BVM at St Mary's Primrose Hill at 8pm on Monday, 8 September. Procession and High Mass following the Book of Common Prayer with English ceremonial. Wine and nibbles afterwards and everyone welcome.

SS [Razz]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks. It's interesting to hear how other people observe these feasts. What about the 'after mass' - do you have any distinctive meal or celebration associated with a particular feast in your church? I know a friend's church where they have wine and cheese after the feast of Our Lady's Visitation.

We have three ( Dec.8,Conception,February 11, Our Lady of Lourdes, and August 15,Assumption.) That always end with refreshments a few blocks away,at a place called Ivy Hall. Actually, February 11 had a large meal this year. September 24th is also when we have our ice cream social, but I don't know if the two are connected.
Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:

Max.

Do tell! I have never heard if the song but would love some ammunition to confirm my prejudices!

This is the verse in question:

quote:
All I have I give you,
Every dream and wish are yours,
Mother of Christ,
Mother of mine, present them to my Lord.

It's pap. We give our dreams and wishes to Jesus himself, they don't belong to Mary!
In defence one could say that Mary is presenting them on our behalf, but that's not really the same as her intercession to the Father.

It's a perfectly good song which has gone so sentimental about Mary that it's strayed into dodgy territory. I won't do it at my church in Somerset because of this, I'm not the only person who has pointed this out too!

Max.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

As I say, that verse is really rather OTT in its sentimentality but, as an Englishman, I would say that. A certain Pole would have disagreed, though ("I belong to you entirely
And all that I possess is yours.
I take you into everything that is mine.
Give me your heart.
Mary." as he said daily).

Thurible

[ 03. September 2008, 23:18: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Until very recently, "Namba 8 Septemba" (the 8th of September) was a much planned for and welcomed day in every Anglican village in two countries. Special preachers and celebrants, choirs and so on. In Anglican communities school was often given a holidy (with or without the sanction of the ministry officials in the capital cities).

The somehow around the turn of the century, it fizzled. I'm sure a few communities do keep the Birthday of our Lady, but since, oh about 03 or so, phphphttt.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

The Nativity of the BVM is the only feast of Our Lady on the Anglican Church of Canada's calendar that is not marked with a Procession and Solemn Mass at my Anglo-Catholic destination of choice. It is, however, a big do at the far-from-spiky St John's Convent uptown (since the Sisterhood was founded on that day in Toronto in 1884). I'll be heading up there on Monday as usual, though I respect that for many members of the Society of Mary here that would not be an option. Most, I suspect, fulfill their obligation at Low Mass at one of the shrine churches in Toronto.

[ 04. September 2008, 01:12: Message edited by: LQ ]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

Max.

This is the verse in question:

quote:
All I have I give you,
Every dream and wish are yours,
Mother of Christ,
Mother of mine, present them to my Lord.

It's pap. We give our dreams and wishes to Jesus himself, they don't belong to Mary!
In defence one could say that Mary is presenting them on our behalf, but that's not really the same as her intercession to the Father.

It's a perfectly good song which has gone so sentimental about Mary that it's strayed into dodgy territory. I won't do it at my church in Somerset because of this, I'm not the only person who has pointed this out too!

Max.

One man's pap is another man's devotion.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Well said Leo! Marian devotion can be a challenge, but I really like some of the fringe devotion stuff its refreshingly non-intellectual at times. It may not always be 'sound' but it often comes from the heart. Our Lady can forward the prayer to the correct recipient if necessary!
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come on, Max. "Wishes and dreams" aren't discrete things like a book or an armadillo that we can only give to one person at a time. We can give our wishes and dreams to Jesus and to Mary without any dilution.

Sentimental saccharine it may be, heretical it ain't.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

dj_ordinaire said:
quote:
I've always wanted to acquire a novel image of Herself and declare my own, but I'm not wholly sure how one goes about it!

Yes, how does she become 'Our Lady of ...'? What's the process?
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Come on, Max. "Wishes and dreams" aren't discrete things like a book or an armadillo that we can only give to one person at a time. We can give our wishes and dreams to Jesus and to Mary without any dilution.

Sentimental saccharine it may be, heretical it ain't.

I'd love an armadillo. Who wouldn't?

This aside, many of the devotions to 'Our Lady of Somewhere' began with someone receiving a vision of the Mother of God. Such a place would then be hallowed. Others would be places where an image had been set up in Her honour which began famed for miracles and the answering of prayer. Still more may have been deliberately set up to encourage pilgrims, or be recreations of earlier shrines, like Walsingham.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

It would be good to encourage more feasts of Our Lady especially in the Church of England. It seems like a lot of priests go to Walsingham but not all have devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham in their parishes.

Good cells in parishes could help.

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:

Good cells in parishes could help.

It's true: somewhere to put the heretics and troublemakers!

Thurible

--------------------

uncletoby

hobbyhorsical
# 13067

- Posted      Profile for uncletoby   Email uncletoby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One man's pap is another man's devotion.

Or better still, one man's pap is another man's praise song.

--------------------
`` L--d! I cannot look at it ----

Posts: 1150 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Indeed - an article in today's Independent suggested that different types of people are inclined to different musical tastes.

Fans of indie music, for instance, were found to have low self-esteem and little motivation, but described themselves as creative. Rap enthusiasts, on the other hand, tend to think a lot of themselves and are extremely outgoing. Those who love dance music are equally extrovert but are more likely to be unfriendly and slightly self-centred.
What your music says about you
Indie: Devotees have low self-esteem and are not very hard-working, kind or generous. However, they are creative.
Rock 'n' Roll: Fans have high self-esteem and are very creative, hard-working and at ease with themselves, but not very kind or generous.
Blues: High self-esteem, creative, outgoing and at ease with themselves.
Classical: Classical music lovers have high self-esteem, are creative and at ease with themselves, but not outgoing.
Heavy metal: Very creative and at ease with themselves, but not very outgoing or hard-working.
Reggae: High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, kind, generous and at ease with themselves, but not very hard-working.
Country & Western: Very hard-working and outgoing.
Dance: Creative and outgoing but not kind or generous.
Rap: High self-esteem, outgoing.

So if the Church is catholic, universal, we should cater for all.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey leo, what did they base those sweeping set of generalisations on? Sacrificing chickens and invoking Baron Samedi?

Still, who knew that Hitler had high self-esteem, was creative and at ease with himself, but not outgoing.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

When a friend and I were visiting Dublin a few months ago there was celebrations of the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. One church had several Masses with healing - laying on of hands and anointing. That seemed very suitable for a Feast of Our Lady. Maybe some Anglican churches could do something similar on the appropriate May feast.
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My church keeps the ones that are listed as memorials, feasts and solemnities on our calendar. Some of these are Holy Days of Obligation in the U.S., such as Mary, Mother of God (January 1), the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (August 15), and the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception (December 8). It was under this title that the first Council of Baltimore declared her Patroness of the United States in 1846. Some of the optional memorials are kept too and people have devotions to her under all sorts of other titles as well.

When I was younger I remember a special statue of Our Lady that was placed near the sanctuary during May, and on holy days there was always public rectitation of the rosary before mass. That died out under the past couple of pastors but there's been talk recently of forming new rosary groups. At any rate, on weekdays some people still gather for the rosary after weekday mass or during Expostion of the Blessed Sacrament.

At my parish the biggest celebration by far is the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Celebrations last from about 4 in the morning to around 10 at night with thousands of people visiting the church all day long. We have to hold mass in a tent because the chuch building isn't large enogh to hold everybody and there's lots of food, flowers, music and dancing.

[ 07. September 2008, 23:43: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016