homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Pentecost (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Pentecost
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
2) A collection for red flowers
3) Some sort of red, orange, and yellow streamers
4) Praise music

[ 29. August 2009, 10:47: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

1) yes
2) red flowers, but no collection for them
3) red drapes, but no scarves
4) Heavens no! [Eek!]

(Assuming that by "Praise music" you mean repetitive choruses and lots of keyboard, drums, and guitars, etc. Of course we shall use hymns from the Hymnal 1982 that praise God. If this is what you mean, I apologize and change my answer to #4.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post 
My resolutely untrendy parish does not actively discourage the wearing of red beyond the sanctuary, but neither does it pressure people to do so. There will probably be red flowers near the altar, but "Praise" music, fluttering banners, and balloon releases will not be on the menu.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This Sunday, instead of usually attending the traditional Sung Mass, I'm going to the contemporary service. I hope we are singing Gordon Light's "She comes sailing on the wind", my favorite hymn about the Holy Spirit.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

No to all of the above. In fact, I almost want to celebrate in rochet and black chimere to make the point, but that would be just too cranky.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) Yes. Is this the latest trendy idea, then?
2) No collection, and probably no flowers - but then we don't have a building - we meet in the cafe area of a school, sitting round small tables. Sometimes there are candles on the tables, and once there were daffodils, so it's possible someone will put a flower in a glass on each table.
3) We used to have lots of flags and streamers for people to dance with every week, but since moving into the cafe area, there's no room
4) Yes, same as every week.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the last Sunday School session of the year, so our kids are being treated to a "Sundae Sunday"; I thought perhaps the organizers were going for a "Happy Birthday, Church" theme, but actually they just wanted the kids to have ice cream.

No other hoopla at our place.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
It's the last Sunday School session of the year, so our kids are being treated to a "Sundae Sunday"; I thought perhaps the organizers were going for a "Happy Birthday, Church" theme, but actually they just wanted the kids to have ice cream.

No other hoopla at our place.

At my previous place, as newsletter editor I cleverly promoted Sundae Sunday as a celebration of "our favorite pair of homophones." An elderly retired priest posted me a note that read, "Yes, but are they self-affirming homophones?" [Big Grin]

On topic: we're "none of the above" as far as the items in the OP are concerned. Some will wear red. Solemn procession to "Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire"; sequence Veni Sancte Spiritus sung by the choir to Palestrina's eight-part setting.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my town we are having our first attempt at a joint ecumenical outdoor service in the town centre (see here ). Many town centre churches are cancelling their morning services to encourage people to attend, and the bishop will be there taking part. And a praise band. Not sure what else to expect! Just hope it stays dry as there are no wet weather plans!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red

No. Although none is specified beyond the call for a light colour, the liturgical generally used for Pentecost is green, as a sign of the abundance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Much like at Quam Dilecta's parish, the faithful are neither actively encouraged nor discouraged to wear something green. In this sense, it is no different from any other time of year.

quote:
No. People come to green the church themselves, usually the day before, (as it's a soul sabbath so we often have services then), although some people do come early on the Sunday morning to help.

quote:
No. How would they be used in a service?

quote:
4) Praise music
Oh yes. Lots of it.

The typical psalms will be replaced by festal antiphons, including the refrain "O Gracious Comforter, save us who chant unto Thee: Alleluia!", and we shall sing over and over the troparion:

quote:
Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, Who hast shown forth the fishermen as supremely wise by sending down upon them the Holy Spirit, and through them didst draw the world into thy net. O only Lover of mankind, glory to Thee!
In the Anaphora, the usual hymn to the Mother of God will be replaced with:

quote:
Rejoice, O Queen, the glory of both mothers and virgins! For no mouth, however fluent and well-spoken, can be so eloquent as to hymn thee worthily; and every mind faileth to understand thy childbirth. Wherefore, with one accord, we glorify thee!

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
  • Yes, people have been asked to wear red. After the announcement, someone told me this had been a tradition in the parish about 20 years ago, so maybe it's an old new trend.
  • Yes to the streamers. The children will be making red, orange and yellow pompoms during church school and then join the processional behind the choir. They'll learn the refrain to Salve Festa Dies during church school so they can sing along.
  • After church, a picnic, a red-frosted cake and sundaes, a recognition of our graduating high school students, and games and a moonwalk for the kids.
We have this new director of christian education who's a little gung-ho. [Hot and Hormonal] I think the trick is to allow some family-friendly activities without letting the kids think that Pentecost is merely the same thing as the last day of school.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bring food!

We have the bishop presiding for the Solemn Mass followed by a picnic.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
UK Baptist here:

1)no
2)no
3) we have flags, and other colours besides
4) Heck yes!

Emphasis this weekend on celebration, diversity and unity, and the power of God.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. No (Stupid idea)
2. No
3. No
4. Yes

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No
No
No
No

(thank heavens)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1)No.
2)Yes.
3)No.
4) This is praise music, right?

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why is Pentecost called "Whitsunday" when the liturgical color is red? Is it another example of the triumph of Vatican II liturgy over traditional English tradition?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Why is Pentecost called "Whitsunday" when the liturgical color is red? Is it another example of the triumph of Vatican II liturgy over traditional English tradition?

Whitsunday got its name because of the abundance of baptismal robes. The old Pentecost vigil had a baptismal emphasis and was a relic of this being the second biggest day of the year for baptisms.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Will have to report back on that one

Then again, I will be at a festival Eucharist for a church that has taken the Holy Spirit for their title, hence their fiesta. I don't know if it will be red or white/best. Our bishop will be there for the festivities.

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[cross-posted with PD while looking for texts]

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

No.

We can't blame Vatican II for this one. The dispute about the etymology of the word Whitsunday goes back long before that.

Some say that the name of the feast is Whit Sunday, and that this reflects white baptismal garments. There is ndeed an Old English term hwīta sunnandæg, which means White Sunday.

However, the liturgical books do not seem to support this reading. There is evidence to suggest that the name has nothing whatsoever to do with colour but that it is actually Whitsun Day, whitsun/wisdom/wit traditionally being seen an outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I was able to find this online:

quote:
This day is called Wytsonday because the Holy Ghost brought wytte and wysdom into Christis disciples ... and filled them full of ghostly wytte. — In die Pentecostis (printed by Wynken de Worde)

quote:
“We ought to kepe this our Witsonday bicause the law of God was then of the Holy Wyght on Ghost deliured gostly vnto vs.” — Taverner (1540)
Even in the Byzantine Rite, the troparion for Pentecost speaks of Christ having shown the fishermen to be supremely wise.

So, take your pick. I rather like the idea of the latter understanding.

[ 30. May 2009, 00:57: Message edited by: Cyprian ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
  1. No to request to wear red;
  2. The church flowers have been themed red & white since Easter 2 as we did big centenary celebrations with a St George's Day Concert. They seem to be getting more red and orange since;
  3. No, to red streamers, but I don't know what the youth groups are doing
  4. Tell you later what we get for music

Because it's a fifth Sunday, it's a joint team service, followed by a picnic in the Rectory garden. Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
4) This is praise music, right?

YES!!!
Their attire is identical to what my college choir wore 35 years ago!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

(tangent)
I think someone posted previously that solution was either an air rifle, or a second balloon (+string) and double-sided tape...

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[continuing tangent]We've had that conversation. The church warden who suggested bringing in the airgun has been persuaded otherwise. There is a third solution, wait until the balloon deflates and sinks gracefully back down to earth, and this one is deflating. I'm just hoping for apposite timing.
It's currently giving quite a few of us a certain amount of innocent pleasure, and it certainly proved that I did Ascension on Ascension Day![/tangent]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any decent organist will play
Whiter Shade of Pale tomorrow.

Note 1: Is that Max. at the organ????
Note 2: Yes, this was dancing, back then. May explain why we oldsters have a problem with Liturgical Dance.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Yes, people have been asked to wear red. After the announcement, someone told me this had been a tradition in the parish about 20 years ago, so maybe it's an old new trend.

Don't you just love that? My current pastor has "taught" us so many new hymns/songs: Wake, awake, for night is flying and Thine is the glory, among others. [Roll Eyes]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Best red chasuble, stole and maniple are ready for Father in the sacristy.
2. Dunno exactly what colour flowers we're having, though I think red will be prominent.
3. Eh?
4. Yes indeedy -

Come down, O Love divine
Come, thou holy Paraclete
O thou who camest from above
Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost and (for the last time this year chiz chiz chiz)
Regina Coeli

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) Red Chasuble and stoles,* burse, veil, pulpit fall, and book mark at the Eagle. I might wear a red top and one of the choristers always wears the correctly coloured tie, unfortunately as we'll both be serving this won't be visible during the service as we'll be in cassock and cotta.
2) We don't have flowers very often and I don't know whether we'll have any tomorrow. Didn't think of it in time to chat to the lady who does them.
3) We'll change the Easter banner to the Pentecost one. (Nice trip up the ladder for me before the service I suspect).
4) Praise music from various centuries yes!
We're coming into O Holy Ghost our Souls inspire and have got O thou who camest from above.** Anthem is Tallis' If ye love me which is actually a couple of weeks late I know.*** Can't remember what the other two or three hymns are.

Carys

*We have a deacon but unfortunately no dalmatics. But my mum (the deacon) does have a very nice red stole which was her father's.
**Which we had at Grampy's funeral (the owner of the stole)
***Bizarrely a fortnight ago we had an anthem setting of Come Down o Love Divine. Those two really should have been the other way round.

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) No explicit request, though it’s been quite a tradition among one group of older ladies for some time now.
2) The color is up to whoever donates them that week, I think.
3) Maybe if the preschool or Sunday school were still in session, but they’re not.
4) No. In fact, this Sunday is probably the Sunday we bring out the oldest and some of the best hymns. [Smile]

Last year, I’m told, the electricity went out, so Pentecost Sunday meant a capella singing, by candlelight, with wind rushing through the open windows. [Cool] I’m afraid they aren’t going to do it again this year.

Posts: 197 | From: Indianny | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

The chapel at my university likes to use balloons at the main service on Palm Sunday. Everyone releases them inside the chapel, where they cling to the ceiling for the rest of the service.
This year, though, there was a service in the late afternoon, the bulk of which was a series of pieces sung by the choir. Sure enough, several balloons decided to terrorize both choir and congregation, either falling rather suddenly to the ground or repeatedly floating down and rising again, harassing the worshipers the whole while!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 197 | From: Indianny | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I can broaden this just a little... what are you all doing with the sequence? We're reciting it together off a sheet. Are others singing it, or rather a lector do it? Or just ignoring it?

Also, anyone doing a Pentecost Vigil? I've never actually come across a real one.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
If I can broaden this just a little... what are you all doing with the sequence? We're reciting it together off a sheet. Are others singing it, or rather a lector do it? Or just ignoring it?

Also, anyone doing a Pentecost Vigil? I've never actually come across a real one.

No and no.

In fact, our books of worship seem to think that Veni, Creator Spiritus is the sequence of Pentecost. [Roll Eyes] Still, it won't be used as such by any Lutheran churches I know.

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Here is exactly how to do a Pentecost Vigil. Maybe you could try one next year? You'll find all the words (prophecies, collects etc.) in English in the English Missal.

I read through it there last night and was struck in particular by the reference in the third collect to 'Moses thy servant [through whom thou] hast instructed us also in the chanting of thy sacred song'. (It would make a good liturgy trivia question -'of whom was it said...')

And the sixth collect offers hope even for debased liturgy: 'O Lord God of hosts, who restorest those things that are broken down, and preservest those things that thou restorest...'

[ 31. May 2009, 06:03: Message edited by: cg ]

Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well in ascending rage-inducing order, here's my

hospital chapel, and a

chaplain [Biased] and his liturgical red

stole.

As for music, to go with Ezekiel 37, The Valley of Dry Bones, we had (not Dem bones, dem bones, but) Westlife singing "You raise me up".

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. I wore my dark red tie (more like the blood of martyrs than the fire of Pentecost, but hey....)
2. The sanctuary flower arrangements (two today, it being a major feast) were composed partly of some spectacular red orchids, along with some white thingies and greenery. Gorgeous!

Not many people, though, as it's the end of the school half-term holiday in our area and several families are away........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm off to serve at the Ordination Service this afternoon - will give a full account later, but the music includes all of the Usual Things, praise be to God!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

I never answered my own questions!

1) Yes, we had a request to wear red (No, I did not)

2) No, we had no collection for red flowers. Sometimes we do, sometimes not. We did have red and white geraniums anyway.

3) No streamers, and certainly nothing on poles. On our cross swoop (long piece of cloth draped on the cross), we had red, white, and gold. The latter two seem to have been left up for convenience for next week.

4) Surprisingly, our hymns were traditional. Usually, we have the loooooooooong Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness, but we didn't this time. I would have liked to hear the old German chestnut Wie schon leuchtet to the words "O Holy Spirit enter in," which I haven't had since I was quite young, but currently we are on a new tune phase.

We also had confirmation. Back in my day, I had confirmation on Easter 2 or Easter 3. I'm glad I didn't have to wait all the way until Pentecost!

[ 31. May 2009, 15:44: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There were about 2500 people out in the sun this morning at my town's ecumenical outdoor Pentecost worship event. Fronted by a double decker bus in Pentecost colours (well it was red and yellow) displaying a banner that said 'There definitely is a God'. The Bishop spoke, we sang a mixture of traditional hymns and contemporary music, there were testimonies, prayers from around the world (natives of different countries prayed in their own language, with a translation in the service leaflet), there were banners, children's activities, prayer tent, and more people attending than they had produced leaflets for. Frankly it was a success. I'm sure we will be repeating it. The good weather definitely helped. this was right in the middle of the town centre, so shoppers were almost having to push through the crowds to get past - it must have made quite an impression I think. And it was a great encouragement to see how many Christians there were in our town.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
quote:

Here is exactly how to do a Pentecost Vigil.
Oh, I now how to do one. Here's an order that corresponds to the current norms (Notitiae, 259, 156-159):

- Color is Red. The character is not baptismal, as in the Easter Vigil, but one of urgent prayer for the coming of the Holy Spirit.
- Following the Kyrie, the alternative opening prayer is said.
- The priest then invites the assembly, after the example of Mary, together with the apostles and disciples, to meditate upon God's wonderful deeds, and to pray that the work of the Spirit may be made more manifest in the world.
- The readings follow, each with its responsorial psalm and prayer, as in the Easter Vigil (the prayers may be taken from the ferial days of the seventh week of Easter):
~ Gen 11:1-9; Ps 33:101-5
~ Ex 19:3-8a; (Ps) Dan 3:52-56
~ Ez 37:1-14; Ps 107:2-9
~ Jl 3:1-5; Ps 104 1-2a, 24, 35c, 27-28, 29bc-30
- Following the prayer, the Gloria is sung.
- The Opening Pryaer of the Mass is then said.
- We then have another reading (Rom 8:22-27), sequence, alleluia and gospel (Jn 7:37-39).
- Rest of the Mass is normal. Roman Canon is used with its proper inserts.
- Sol Bl 9 is used and the dismissal "alleluia, alleluia".

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I went to the English Mass today and we sang the sequence to the tune of Hymn to Joy . Normally we recite the sequences together at our church so it was nice to sing it ( though if it was up to me it would've been in plainsong ). It's the custom at our church to stand for the sequences.

We did have an all night Vigil last night. I didn't go but I think it was probably an informal all night Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament rather than the formal liturgy for the Vigil from the books.

We had red banners banners in the sanctuary, a red frontal on the ambo; red flowers on the side-altars , around the tabernalce, before the main altar and around the Paschal Candle. I didn't notice anybody wearing red though, except for the priest.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) No, but some did
2) No, but there were some
3) Most certainly not!
4) NEH

Last night I went to a (CofE) Pentecost Vigil Mass, though without all the Vigil readings. However, after the Kyrie, the Celebrant blessed 'oil of gladness' and we were each anointed with a cross on our foreheads as a reminder of our Confirmation.
quote:
May the Holy Spirit bring you healing and joy.
This was new to me, and more moving than renewal of baptismal vows - since I can actually remember my Confirmation. A FWSE suggests that it may be an Orthodox custom. Has anyone else met it?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dalej42
Shipmate
# 10729

- Posted      Profile for dalej42   Email dalej42   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to an Episcopal church.

No request to wear red, although most people did. The vestments looked the same as the ones worn on Palm Sunday, but the chasuble was far more festive.

There were red flowers, but they were paid for by a family

There was a red banner in the procession and a few children waving red streamers.

No praise music although the choir did sing a Gospel type song acapella during the Offertory.

When the Acts lesson was read, some people got up and began to read it in other languages. Also some children waived some banners to make a wind sound.

Posts: 303 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seelenbräutigam:
Last year, I’m told, the electricity went out, so Pentecost Sunday meant a capella singing, by candlelight, with wind rushing through the open windows.

I am so jealous!

I was playing handbells with the Baptists today, but know mostly what happens at my home RC church, so:

RC Parish of the Not Quite Combined Two Churches:

1) No. Most of the sheep are pretty oblivious to liturgical colors; the usual suspects may have remembered/found something red to wear.

2) No. Purchased flower arrangements (red and white) in front of the altar and the ambo.

3) No.

4)No and Yes. Depends on which mass you go to (and you'll know which ones to avoid if you have a preference, but that's normal).

[5) Sequence: I'm no longer in the choir, so I'm not sure. Is Pentecost the Laude Sion or something else? I suspect that it happened (done by cantor and/or choir) at the trad music masses and didn't at the contemporary music ones]

American Baptist Church (that 'American' indicates the denomination, not that it's in America):

1) No.

2) No. The flowers on The Table were some sprigs of forsythia and what looked like unopened buds on a stem of leftover Easter Lily.

3) No.

4) No. Waitaminute yes. There was one (the words were printed in the bulletin and it had that annoying Praise Chorus predictable-but-not-quite sort of tune). Other than that, classic good stuff by piano, organ, choir, handbells, and combinations thereof, plus solid Baptist singing of traditional hymns (with harmonies) by the congregation.

[5)At the beginning of the sermon, the pastor announced that today was Pentecost. I'm beginning to wonder about these people; they also acknowledge Lent and Advent.]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Last night I went to a (CofE) Pentecost Vigil Mass, though without all the Vigil readings. However, after the Kyrie, the Celebrant blessed 'oil of gladness' and we were each anointed with a cross on our foreheads as a reminder of our Confirmation.
quote:
May the Holy Spirit bring you healing and joy.
This was new to me, and more moving than renewal of baptismal vows - since I can actually remember my Confirmation. A FWSE suggests that it may be an Orthodox custom. Has anyone else met it?
It does sound as though it is based on the informal lesser anointings that we practise in the Orthodox Church. It is the Sacrament of Holy Unction but not performed in its fullest form. We often do it at church after the Sunday Liturgy or after Vespers if somebody is physically or spirituall unwell and in need of healing, and others will often pesent themselves. In such cases, the priest uses previously-blessed oil, and anoints each person who presentes himself, with the words "The servant of God, N., is anointed with the oil of gladness, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, for the healing of soul and body". The last words are repeated as the priest anoints the person on the head, eyes, ears, nostrils, lips, chest, and the backs and palms of the hands (and, in some traditions, on the feet).

In its fullest form, Holy Unction is performed by a bishop and six priests, (or by seven priests), with seven epistles, seven gospels read by the priests in turn, and seven prayers of blessing of the oil by the priests in turn. The oil is surrounded by seven candles inserted into flour, (which is then used for bread for the Eucharist). Each set of readings and prayers is followed by an anointing of the whole congregation by the seven priests. The idea is that, by the final anointing, each member of the congregation should have been anointed by each of the seven priests, seven being symbolic of wholeness and completion. At the end, we all prostrate ourselves while the bishop or celebrant prays a final prayer invoking God's healing grace. It is traditionally celebrated during Lent by the bishop in his cathedral and then in various parts of his diocese but may be done whenever somebody is in need of healing and prayer.

I went to our diocesan Unction service at our packed cathedral last month. As the newly-formed reader, I even got to do the epistles in English to correspond to the Gospels and prayers that were done by those priests who did them in English. The cathedral's subdeacon did the Slavonic ones. It was one of the most beautiful services I have experienced.

--------------------

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

We were invited to wear red. I wore a red tie.
We had red flowers--lovely.
The children carried red balloons in the entrance procession. I don't care for these, I would rather they carried red flowers or red ribbons, but balloons have become traditional here, and they weren't too obtrusive.
No praise music.

The sked was:

7:00 AM Morning Prayer ( Lots of psalms. Gregorian chant, unaccompanied. Hymn after the prayers was the Golden Sequence.)
8:00 AM Eucharist (no music)
10:30 AM Eucharist with choir. Hymns from H1982. Anthem from early/mid 20th century.

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
[5) Sequence: I'm no longer in the choir, so I'm not sure. Is Pentecost the Laude Sion or something else? I suspect that it happened (done by cantor and/or choir) at the trad music masses and didn't at the contemporary music ones]

Lauda Sion is the sequence for Corpus Christi.

Veni, Sancte Spiritus is the sequence for Pentecost (text here in Latin and English).

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I have never heard of Whitsun Monday. Where I live, it was always Whit Monday and Whit Tuesday, (BCP1928, p. xxiv-xxv) (There was no "Whit Wednesday") or Monday in Whitsun Week and Tuesday in Whitsun Week (BCP1928 pp. 183-185).

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Lauda Sion is t'he sequence for Corpus Christi.

Veni, Sancte Spiritus is the sequence for Pentecost.

Very close in time, so I'm not surprised I confused them.

Not to mention that we do a modern English setting of the Lauda Sion which really irritates me on a lot of levels (musical, translation, liturgical), so it unfortunately sticks in my mind.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) The red vestments etc although I didn't notice anyone else wearing it.

2) No flowers.

3) We don't do That Sort Of Thing [Disappointed]

4) Most certainly we did

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I have never heard of Whitsun Monday. Where I live, it was always Whit Monday and Whit Tuesday, (BCP1928, p. xxiv-xxv) (There was no "Whit Wednesday") or Monday in Whitsun Week and Tuesday in Whitsun Week (BCP1928 pp. 183-185).
Yes, 1549 and 1552 refer to Monday & Tuesday in Whitson Weke. 1662 refers to Monday and Tuesday in Whitsun week. Warren's translation of the Sarum Missal adopts this as well, presumably because it was the common terminology. The Plainchant Gradual (from Wantage) refers to Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, presumably as an abbreviation for the more common Monday &c. in Whitsun Week), and Pentecost is actually reffered to as Whitsun Day, with just that division. Until your post above, I had never encountered Whit Monday outside of common reference to walks of witness.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016