homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Germaphobes and Communion (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Germaphobes and Communion
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
PURCHASE ORDER:

To: Sober Preacher's Kid, Governor, Office of Papal Works

Item # MDLXII
Description: Pipe Organ, Large
Quantity: I

Item # MMD
Description: Add-on Pontifical Trumpets for Pipe Organ, Large
Quantity: I

Reason for request:
Increased support for liturgical music, St. Peter's Basilica, utilizing the savings earned from more efficient purchasing practices for church supplies such as incense.

Oh, good.

(And no falsettists, for they are Icky and Edgy to my musically-attuned ears.)

Ross

all very well except for this point. I fear a successful rebellion by the castati will bring this to naught. Allegri's "Miserere" is nothing without them.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
all very well except for this point. I fear a successful rebellion by the castati will bring this to naught. Allegri's "Miserere" is nothing without them.

Honey, if you can find some honest-to-God castrati, I will certainly audition them.

My understanding is that they're not making 'em like they used to -- and falsettists are simply not an adequate substitute.

I need to know His Holiness's preferences in musical eras -- RenPolyph, yes? Anglican revival? A bit of Britten? Please advise, so that I may program to your tastes!

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear Ross, my musical suggestions are for a humble parish church only.

I agree about falsettists. If you need a good soprano, get one, don't try and fake one.

SS, how would you know? The only recording of a castrati in existence sounds rather dreadful.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPK, we're going to go galactic with the RSCM. High standards and good music will prevail everywhere in the Church Universal.

Resistance is Futile.

Ross, Chief Director of Music to the Papal Throne

[ 23. October 2008, 01:39: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SPK, we're going to go galactic with the RSCM. High standards and good music will prevail everywhere in the Church Universal.

Resistance is Futile.

Ditto on ceremonial.

Do train your musicians to be able to sing and to see their music in an atmosphere redolent of incense. [Psalm 141]

Additionally, this office would be very interested in investigating the introduction of Solemn Vespers, at the very least on Saturday and Sunday evening. Furthermore, we would be interested in preceding the first Mass on Solemnities and Feasts with Sung Morning Prayer and the evening Mass on those same days with Sung Evening Prayer. Would sufficient interest and staffing be available to accommodate such a schedule?

Of course, presiding at said additional celebrations would be at the discretion of the pontiff. Were he not available, we would most likely invite the next seniormost bishop, the Cardinal-Bishop of Ostia, and thence down the seniority list.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

Resistance is Futile.

Ditto on ceremonial.

Do train your musicians to be able to sing and to see their music in an atmosphere redolent of incense. [Psalm 141]

Additionally, this office would be very interested in investigating the introduction of Solemn Vespers, at the very least on Saturday and Sunday evening. Furthermore, we would be interested in preceding the first Mass on Solemnities and Feasts with Sung Morning Prayer and the evening Mass on those same days with Sung Evening Prayer. Would sufficient interest and staffing be available to accommodate such a schedule?

Of course, presiding at said additional celebrations would be at the discretion of the pontiff. Were he not available, we would most likely invite the next seniormost bishop, the Cardinal-Bishop of Ostia, and thence down the seniority list.

A most praiseworthy idea, Your Excellency, Most Rev'd Martin L, Master of Papal Ceremonies.

As next seniormost prelate after the Pope, I will be more than delighted to preside at the Offices preceding the Masses on Feasts and Solemnities.

Yes, I do believe that musicians must be able to exercise their responsibilities amid clouds of incense, especially when I have asked that tonnes thereof be made available for their proper use. Likewise, I do thank the Excellent SPK, Governor of the Office of Papal Works, for having made available such copious amounts of incense, wheat, and wine for the celebration of the Sacred Mysteries. Whilst Pope Triple Tiara remains sovereign in these matters, we all yield to His Holiness when he commands the rest of our brethren to celebrate in his absence.

+Hedrin Card. Ep. Ostia Antica
Cardinal Archpriest of the Lesser Known

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
DECREE OF PONTIFICAL APPOINTMENT
WE reprieve this dear departed thread in order to make a further appointment.

WE hereby appoint highchurc to the post of Pontifical Pedant, with particular responsibility for checking all pontifical documents for spelling errors. WE decree that he may continue his customary rudeness, but that he may only utter his rude ejaculations under is breath and may not make such comments on any actual Pontifical Document.

WE furthermore appoint him to the post of Regulator of Local Custom, providing that he first undertake a serious study of such matters before engaging with any local customaries.

Given in the second year of OUR Pontificate navigating the Holy Sea.

Triple Tiara PP I

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016