homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Incense and thuribles (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Incense and thuribles
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump* as we seem to be talking about incense and thuribles on the Paschal Candle thread. I have a story as well but don't want to derail that thread further [Big Grin] .

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, we switched from frankincense to myrrh on Ash Wednesday. The myrrh is a sparkly god and, unlike the frankincense, burns with almost no residual goo—more of a powdery residue.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you going to share your story, Amazing Grace?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
here's the story ...

We have a new (to us; he was actually another diocese's suffragan) bishop. We are still getting used to this concept in a lot of ways because the previous incumbent served over 25 years.

He was educated at the Virginia seminary, which I gather isn't much of a place to learn high(er) church ceremonial, and served in Alabama, which I guess tends to be pretty low. We tend towards the higher side of middle in this diocese and use the smoking handbag whenever we can get away with it at this parish.

One of our assisting clergy at St. Spike's died recently after a long full life. As is meet and proper, the Bishop was celebrant at the solemn Requiem.

He wielded the thurible quite competently. I was chatting with the lay thurifer and the young priest who was chaplain (who knows his own way around a thurible) at the reception. Fr M said that the head verger at the Cathedral had taken the Bishop asides and said, "Marc, let me show you how to do this." The lessons apparently took.

Charlotte

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my! [Smile] . Just goes to show that even if only the priest can cense certain things, it's still the acolytes & vergers who know all about how to do it.

--------------------
Truth

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Oh my! [Smile] . Just goes to show that even if only the priest can cense certain things, it's still the acolytes & vergers who know all about how to do it.

Thankfully you had a verger who was confident enough to do this. In the Lutheran world, pastors are almost invariably taught to think they are the only ones who know anything church-related. If somebody had tried this with one of our bishops, he/she would have just rolled his/her eyes and did whatever he/she wanted anyway, because of his/her 'expertise.'

We have pastors trying to tell organists about proper registration when they have never so much as touched an organ in their entire life, and trying to tell people about liturgical customs and practices when they themselves have never darkened the door of one liturgical class and clearly have no interest in it at all.

[/Lutherant, takes deep breath]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ISTM that it is greatly to the Bishop's credit that he not only agreed to wield the thurible but was also willing to be taught.

It may look easy, but I bet it isn't!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Wielding thuribles or teaching bishops?

--------------------
Truth

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Yes, we think we have a good shepherd, in many ways. [Axe murder]

I heard that +Marc had embarrassed the head verger somewhat during the transition period when he and his wife were living in the guest flat at the Cathedral while arrangements were made to re-house the previous incumbent.

The verger (who lives at the Cathedral) had put some laundry in the dryer and come back to find his underwear neatly folded by you-know-who.

So I guess he figured that +Marc wouldn't bite his head off for suggesting that he needed thurible lessons. [Biased]

Charlotte

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things I learned yesterday in my first experience with the thurible paraphernalia (we used incense in a brazier at Evensong):

1. The gas burner in the sacristy is lighted with a match; it doesn't pop on from the pilot light like the cooker at home. The longer you wait, the more gas you're wasting.

2. The coals are self-lighting and don't need five solid minutes in the gas flame to get going, no matter what one of the thurifers seems to do on Sundays. In fact, they can be lighted with a match while they sit on the unlighted gas burner.

3. At cleanup time, assume everything is either hot or dirty or both; use tongs to handle everything.

Learning the hard way; fortunately, mostly without witnesses... [Hot and Hormonal]

Perry the Pirate
Shipmate
# 12362

- Posted      Profile for Perry the Pirate     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:

3. At cleanup time, assume everything is either hot or dirty or both; use tongs to handle everything.

I still have the scar tissue on my index finger to validate this point! Incense on the coals is similar to molten plastic - don't try to "move" a piece without benefit of spoon/tongs!
Posts: 73 | From: SoCal | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scott Knitter, I'm sorry to hear that. Why waste the money on self-lighting coals? Why put up with the ancilliary stink they produce? Why not just send that piped in gas over to our joint? We'd use nice and proper.

Regarding hot stuff. This is where the Venerable Oven Mitt comes into play. With our crowd, it's tongs when lighting the coals, the VOM to hold the thurible while a soup spoon is used to scrape the bowl. The acolytes also wear gloves, so the thurifer gets extra insulation from the heat.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Another thread was getting off-topic. So here's my response to AR's and PtP's posts.

Small censers can indeed be gotten from Orthodox bookstores. Feed orthodox censer into your favorite search engine and find this Wikipedia article, where the third picture shows several devices. Monastery Greetings offers this page of devices—is this the crowd with spiritually dangerous icons?

Borderline lunatic that I am, none of these censers are heavy or capacious enough for the number of coals I tend to use.

Chadsman
Apprentice
# 12348

- Posted      Profile for Chadsman   Email Chadsman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rosa Mystica, every time. And available again! Try the Shrine Shop at Walsingham.

As to 360s, they are permissible in processions but only in groups of three, and should always be swung from front to back, with the chain at full length (i.e. with the right hand only).

Figures of eight are also possible but you need a wide aisle, a wide berth, and to be tall enough to know you're not going to smash the thurible to pieces on the floor (or in my case be using a thurible with a short enough chain).

The only other time a 360 is permitted is at the "Tu Rex Gloriae Christe" in a Solemn Te Deum, while the sanctuary party are formed up on the pavement after censing the altar - clockwise. That's what we do!

Posts: 6 | From: Oxford | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Can you describe the figure-8s more? Which direction do they go in? And why would they occasion any more concern for being sure not to smash the thurible into the floor, than the 360s would?

--------------------
Truth

Chadsman
Apprentice
# 12348

- Posted      Profile for Chadsman   Email Chadsman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Figures of eight are swung in front, horizontally...I don't quite know how best to describe it! Perhaps it's time for someone to demonstrate on youtube? They run more risk of hitting the floor because it's trickier to keep your hand still while doing them than it is with the 360.
Posts: 6 | From: Oxford | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Small censers can indeed be gotten from Orthodox bookstores.

We have a miniature thurible... I'm not quite sure why, but we had to use it whilst the 'big boy' was being fixed. It looked pretty silly, didnt' let enough air in for anything to burn properly and refused to close. If I never have to use it again, twill be too soon!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Byzantine censers are (almost?) always used at full-length and open. They aren't made for the same sort of use as the larger western ones and I can imagine it looking silly indeed to see them used this way. I mean, for example, what are this and this all about?

(I'm leaving aside for now the question of why on earth the bishop is dressed like that).

[ 10. May 2007, 15:39: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Copied from closed "Cleaning a thurible" thread:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
A question to those to whom it applies:

How do you clean your thurible?

Ours is silver, and it never gets cleaned. I've been trying to clean it whenever I can since last summer, but it's always a day-long task, it seems.

When I need to get burnt-on crud off my pans at home, I boil water in them. Is it safe to boil a silver thurible (as opposed to just soaking it in hot tap water)?

I think what I'm looking for is a way to soften all the creosote (is that the right word?) so it can be safely scrubbed off without scratching the silver. Most of the crud is inside the thurible, of course, but some gets on the outside as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated! But please say what kind of metal yours is, since I assume some cleaning methods would be harmful to some metals even if safe on others.

Thanks!

[ 11. June 2007, 19:23: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
We had a rather entertaining thread about this some time ago where somebody boiled it for hours and kept reporting back to let us know about the progress made. I have used ethanol and a toothbrush in the past.

The key, once it has been cleaned, is to give it a good clean after every use. Also, do not leave it closed while the charcoal dies inside it. Rather, remove the charcoal and place it in a sealable tin, and stifle it. Then dispose of it on clean ground. and clean your thurible.

[ 11. June 2007, 19:21: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
quote:
We had a rather entertaining thread about this some time ago where somebody boiled it for hours and kept reporting back to let us know about the progress made. I have used ethanol and a toothbrush in the past.

The key, once it has been cleaned, is to give it a good clean after every use. Also, do not leave it closed while the charcoal dies inside it. Rather, remove the charcoal and place it in a sealable tin, and stifle it. Then dispose of it on clean ground. and clean your thurible.

What did the experiment conclude? Was any progress made?

I'd love to clean the thurible after every use, but I can't. I usually only am at the cathedral on Saturdays and Sundays, and am usually quite busy both days. I'm also not a thurifer, so I can't do much about how they handle the thurible, although I believe the practice is to leave the thurible open outdoors while the charcoal cools, and then dispose of the charcoal in the dirt. Although they might actually just put the hot charcoal into the soil, too.

Here's a dumb question: Is the gunk mostly from the charcoal, the incense, or both?

[ETA:]
Is ethanol safe for silver? Does it seem to help?

[ 11. June 2007, 19:22: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
quote:
What did the experiment conclude? Was any progress made?

This was a thurible that hadn't been cleaned in years and so had a thick layer of gunk. If memory serves correctly some good headway was made.

quote:
I'd love to clean the thurible after every use, but I can't. I usually only am at the cathedral on Saturdays and Sundays, and am usually quite busy both days. I'm also not a thurifer, so I can't do much about how they handle the thurible...
That's a pity. It's good when somebody like you takes the initiative to do this because, IME, so many people are in a rush to dash off and things just don't get done.

quote:
Here's a dumb question: Is the gunk mostly from the charcoal, the incense, or both?
Not dumb at all. I think it's predominantly incense resin.

quote:
Is ethanol safe for silver? Does it seem to help?
It worked a treat on our brass thurible. I used it outside, of course. As for whether it's safe for silver, I'm not sure. My then parish priest's first degree was in metallurgy and it was he who suggested (and supplied) it but I couldn alwayws ask for you.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
As I recollect St Percy suggests "sweet-oil" which is I think a term for olive oil. I've tried it and found it useless with any build-up of resins. We use "mineral spirits" allowing the thurible to soak for a half hour or so. I would, however carefully clean off any residue from the spirits as they might spoil the silver if left on for a long time. If it's cleaned after each use (and this case olive oil can work) there will be far less maintenance.

nb. If the thurible is large it can be submerged one side or one half at a time in a container of spirits.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Don't take my advice if it's bad, but in a previous parish I used EZ-Off oven cleaner, the kind that doesn't require heating up the oven, on the non-silver-plated inside surfaces only. I put the thurible with this stuff on it in the oven overnight purely to contain the fumes somewhat. It was a low-fume lemon-scented formula.

The thurible came out spectacularly clean (once it was wiped with a damp cloth, easily removing the liquified crud).

Again, this is something that worked, but if you ask a sacristan or parish priest about doing this and s/he says not to, don't do it. I did it because it needed doing and nobody knew nor cared about the thurible where I was, other than that it would be used at a particular service and needed to be as non-irritating as possible. Make sure to get all the EZ-Off out of it if you do this.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
quote:
Don't take my advice if it's bad, but in a previous parish I used EZ-Off oven cleaner,

Don't use this if the silver is plated on... otherwise it's okay, but again watch out for residue and clean it thoroughly after the "cleansing".

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Autenrieth Road, for moving the relevant posts from the "Cleaning Thuribles" thread - I stupidly didn't search to see if there already was a thread. [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks to everyone for their good advice.

Meanwhile, I had an unexpected chance to speak with our diocese's thurible guru, and she suggested ethanol, and said it won't harm silver. She said to use ethanol, and follow it with hot water & detergent (ie, dish soap). I'll give that a try.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been meaning to raise this question as our thurible is in a dreadful state. I remember from reading the thread in the past acetone being suggested but we've been unable to get hold of any. We'll have to try ethanol I think.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never been quite sure what 'ethanol' is, but found that turpentine (but not turps. subsitute - i.e.white spirit) did a good job on a brass thurible that we have on extended loan.

I left it to soak for a couple of hours, then found that I could clean it with a plastic scourer, finishing off with hot water and 'washing-up liquid' to remove the oily residue. Only one particularly difficult area required a repeat procedure!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never thought of this before I heard of someone having an actual silver thurible (sterling or otherwise), but our priest has warned us about being careful when cleaning chalices about not stressing any joints between dissimilar metals which might have a mechanical connection.

(E.g. In these days when solid gold is simply way too pricey, a chalice might be made up of separate sterling and silver-gilt (gilded silver) pieces held together by an internal screw -- too vigorous washing could lead to either water getting into places it doesn't belong or placing strain on the mechanical connection and some combination of problems.)

Even with simpler metals, one needs to ask and know about what the thurible is made of and how it might react to various cleaning methods.

If in doubt, I would suggest finding a local jeweler or metalsmith and asking/paying for basic advice about the metals, how they are joined, and the best way to take care of it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
I've never been quite sure what 'ethanol' is, but found that turpentine (but not turps. subsitute - i.e.white spirit) did a good job on a brass thurible that we have on extended loan.

If anyone wants to research this and try to come up with a common vocabulary, I'm sure millions (OK, thousands) of people would be greateful.

On the other hand, I can't come up with any consistent terminology for the usual cleaning solvents even in even my tiny local community, so it may be a serious challenge to identify and codify all the different terms.

Not to mention that some commercial substances are made up of various combinations of the basics; and many commercial suppliers refuse to provide detailed ingredients lists.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sacristy Rat
Shipmate
# 5034

- Posted      Profile for Sacristy Rat   Email Sacristy Rat       Edit/delete post 
I've also used oven cleaner on brass thuribles. Worked like a charm, even on a particularly nasty one that looked like it had a century's worth of gunk on the inside.

--------------------
In teh beginz is teh cat macro, and teh cat macro sez "Oh hai Ceiling Cat" and teh cat macro iz teh Ceiling Cat. Teh cat macro an teh Ceiling Cat iz teh bests frenz in teh begins.

Posts: 113 | From: the mountainous desert | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:

I left it to soak for a couple of hours, then found that I could clean it with a plastic scourer, finishing off with hot water and 'washing-up liquid' to remove the oily residue. Only one particularly difficult area required a repeat procedure!

Ethanol is a type of alcohol, but not the kind you'd drink (unless, I suppose, you were really desperate). [Biased]

ETA: Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it derives from corn? Anyway, it's often added to auto fuel, but I have to confess I'm not sure if that's to reduce pollution, or enhance performance, or what. Maybe to make the engine shine like a silver thurible!

[ 12. June 2007, 00:02: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ethanol is exactly the same alcohol that's in the spirits you drink - but probably more concentrated. It may also be labeled grain alcohol.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post 
In most churches which are modern enough to delay the consecration until after the Sanctus and Benedictus, but still traditional enough to pay some attention to Ritual Notes and/or Fortescue, extra incense is added during the chanting of the Preface. The thurifer, who is kneeling at the epistle side of the altar, gently swings the thurible to keep the coals hot during the singing of the Sanctus and Benedictus. At the Elevation of each species, the bell is rung three times, accompanied by a threefold censing. A further censing, but no ringing, accompanies the doxology at the conclusion of the Canon. The thurifer and torchbearers depart either during the Our Father or after the Ecce Agnus Dei.

When the Sactus and Benedictus "cover" the Canon, there are two possibilities: either the music is timed so that the Elevations occur during a break between sections, or the music is interrupted arbitrarily when the Elevations occur.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Ethanol is exactly the same alcohol that's in the spirits you drink - but probably more concentrated. It may also be labeled grain alcohol.

Thanks, shows what I know. [Biased]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
In most churches which are modern enough to delay the consecration until after the Sanctus and Benedictus, but still traditional enough to pay some attention to Ritual Notes and/or Fortescue, extra incense is added during the chanting of the Preface. The thurifer, who is kneeling at the epistle side of the altar, gently swings the thurible to keep the coals hot during the singing of the Sanctus and Benedictus. At the Elevation of each species, the bell is rung three times, accompanied by a threefold censing. A further censing, but no ringing, accompanies the doxology at the conclusion of the Canon. The thurifer and torchbearers depart either during the Our Father or after the Ecce Agnus Dei.

When the Sactus and Benedictus "cover" the Canon, there are two possibilities: either the music is timed so that the Elevations occur during a break between sections, or the music is interrupted arbitrarily when the Elevations occur.

Ritual Notes directs that the censings be done at each elevation and that the thurifer rises and leaves after the second elevation.

The practice of censing at the doxology probably comes from those churches that don't elevate after the dominmical words but confuse elevation with presentation at the end of thr prayer.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

If anybody manages to acquire and use some, do not, do not, do not store it in the part of the sacristy where you keep the incense-related things, or anything to do with fire, or in any hot place. It really doesn't take much to get it to combust, so you really want to wash and polish the thurible properly after you've used the ethanol.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ethanol (C2H5OH) is the alcohol which is in alcoholic beverages... the principle reason one doesn't drink the industrial sort is that it contains trace amounts of its more toxic little brother, methanol (meths) which sends you blind and kills you.

And yes, it is pretty flammable so don't keep it near any flames.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

If anybody manages to acquire and use some, do not, do not, do not store it in the part of the sacristy where you keep the incense-related things, or anything to do with fire, or in any hot place. It really doesn't take much to get it to combust, so you really want to wash and polish the thurible properly after you've used the ethanol.
Unless you have a really ugly church that you want to have re-ordered - in which case burn it down and claim on the insurance.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our special thurible gets handed to me before the two major feasts. The technique is being refined gradually.
As mentioned above (Dec 05) I boil it for several hours using a non bio washing powder which removes all the gunk, (change the water several times) I then soak in kettle descaler before polishing - comes up lovely!
I tried steam cleaning but that does not really work.

(eta our thurible is brass)

[ 13. June 2007, 07:55: Message edited by: Petrified ]

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I remember from reading the thread in the past acetone being suggested but we've been unable to get hold of any.

Acetone is a solvent which sold here as plain old nail varnish remover.
Not sure what it'd do to your thurible, though...

Hen x

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I remember from reading the thread in the past acetone being suggested but we've been unable to get hold of any.

Acetone is a solvent which sold here as plain old nail varnish remover.
Not sure what it'd do to your thurible, though...

Hen x

A (male) friend reckoned that that had mostly gone acetone free, but another (female) friend said that wasn't true and she's more likely to have bought some recently!

Carys

--------------------

Tiffer
Shipmate
# 3073

- Posted      Profile for Tiffer   Author's homepage   Email Tiffer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard leaving it to soak in vegetable for a long time is a good idea. Also if you line your thurible with thick foil the need for cleaning is lessened

--------------------
"All the Fat belongs to the Lord"
-Leviticus 3:16b

Posts: 411 | From: England (all over) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Tiffer:
I heard leaving it to soak in vegetable for a long time is a good idea. Also if you line your thurible with thick foil the need for cleaning is lessened

We've taken to doing that, but we need to clean the gunk caused by previous users who haven't done that!

Vegetable what?

Carys

--------------------

Tiffer
Shipmate
# 3073

- Posted      Profile for Tiffer   Author's homepage   Email Tiffer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oil - sorry.

I get the impression you just have to leave it in there for a whole long time. I haven't tried it though.

--------------------
"All the Fat belongs to the Lord"
-Leviticus 3:16b

Posts: 411 | From: England (all over) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Holy Cow
Apprentice
# 6245

- Posted      Profile for Holy Cow   Email Holy Cow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Australia we have a product called mineral turpentine. I used it to strip the resin from many an old thurible. Mineral turpentine is uded to clean oil paint from brushes.
Posts: 24 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just taken a propane torch and heated the inside of the thurible. The gunk melts and is scraped out easily.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably best not to coat it with turps though, before taking the blow torch to it...

I noticed that our thurible has been promoted from a dark cupboard to a place on the altar... I wonder if that's a sign of things to come? [Two face] Progressing from once or twice a year, to more often? [Yipee]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

On the ALTAR?!

(That thumping sound you hear is all the tat-queens fainting en masse at the very thought.)

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
I've just taken a propane torch and heated the inside of the thurible. The gunk melts and is scraped out easily.

A blow torch? Oh, dear. I fear this advice taken enthusiastically bodes ill for the durability of the thurible. Surely a gentle touch is wanted—that akin to finishing crème brûlée rather than searing paint from woodwork. The heat created by using the thurible is sufficient (and more natural) to heat the residue for scraping immediately after the thurible is used.

As far as the thurible resting on the altar, I've heard of, but never seen, the practice laying out on the altar (table?) the best communion plate for display on big occasions. Perhaps this is how the thurible get placed there.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016