homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Incense and thuribles (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Incense and thuribles
kenosis
Shipmate
# 10433

- Posted      Profile for kenosis   Email kenosis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LostinChelsea:

More often, there are a handful of "wrong" things -- hitting congregants with the thurible, burning illegal substances during during acolyte practice, etc. -- and lots or "right" practices.

[Smile]
As long as I get through my first Mass without burning the place down, I'm happy!

I've just learnt that our head server takes the thurible home to practise around his garden! Quite what his neighbours think, I don't know...

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LostinChelsea:
quote:
Ken observed:
We have no canons governing the use of photocopiers either.

Exactly. So there's no un-Anglican way to use photocopiers. We may lament that there's no enforceable thurible rubric, or we may invent or import norms for swinging the pot where we worship. For the historical reason you point out, we simply cannot say there is one right way to use incense in an Anglican service.

p.s. For photocopiers, there is no canon, but there is the unchangeable cosmic law that they will break down during the heavy copy load of Holy Week.

Our church photocopier is a Canon.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostinChelsea
Shipmate
# 5305

- Posted      Profile for LostinChelsea   Email LostinChelsea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm ashamed I didn't see that one coming!

--------------------
Best when taken in moderation.

Posts: 237 | From: Deep South USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

They bestow canonries for doing just about anything these days, don't they?

[ 23. May 2009, 10:10: Message edited by: Cyprian ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom S:
quote:
Originally posted by uncletoby:
I think the way to do it is to change the direction of the thurible swing before changing the direction of your own movement, first swinging the thurible in the direction in which you intend to turn, letting it swing back in front of you, and then turning on the second foward swing. I haven't perfected this by any means, but it does look nice when it's done well.

Thanks. This still sounds like a very dangerous activity to me! I think I'll just be very cautious until I get the hang of it.

I'm now puzzling over how many swings are "right" when censing. I'm at a fairly broad catholic Anglican parish which borrows most of its liturgical practice from the modern RC form, as well as maintaining some older practices from days of yore.

GIRM suggests three swings for anything I would need to cense (sacrament, celebrant, deacon, servers, choir etc).

My 11th edition of Ritual Notes suggests three for the celebrant, and double swings for more or less everyone else.

Meanwhile Wikipedia (don't laugh!) suggests that "traditionally" Anglican practice is:
quote:
* Three sets of triple swings: When censing the Most Blessed Sacrament
* Three sets of double swings: When censing images, relics, and other sacramentals, also when censing the celebrant.
* Two sets of double swings: When censing a Deacon.
* One set of double swings: When censing a Sub-Deacon.
* Three sets of single swings: When censing the congregation

What gives?

+ Vincent used triple swings to cense the cross on Thursday.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are only single and double swings. Ritual Notes and the GIRM speak of three doubles, but never three swings.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur132.htm

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by uncletoby:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom S:
How exactly does one turn corners?

On the last page Cusanus offered the following advice:

quote:
I've seen two ways of turning 90 degrees. One is to reduce the arc of the swing over a couple of steps, turn and then pick up the swing again. The other is the slightly more dangerous method of changing the direction of the swing by turning your swinging arm before you turn the rest of your body.
I'd love to perfect the second method (I've seen it done and it looks cool!) but it scares me.
I think the way to do it is to change the direction of the thurible swing before changing the direction of your own movement, first swinging the thurible in the direction in which you intend to turn, letting it swing back in front of you, and then turning on the second forward swing. I haven't perfected this by any means, but it does look nice when it's done well.
As I believe I was the person who asked about corners on the previous page. The advice given was handy and I've got the hang of them reasonably well these days I believe.

This is a good time of year for us incensewise -- we only have it on 'big days' but these include Rogation Sunday, Asension Day, Pentecost and Trinity so that's 4 times in three weeks! Though I'm actually away for Trinity as I'm crucifer for a friend's wedding the day before.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
highchurc
Shipmate
# 11491

- Posted      Profile for highchurc   Email highchurc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I'm crucifer for a friend's wedding

I didn't know that weddings had people acting as crucifers. Where can this be found in The Book of Common Prayer ? Live and learn.
Posts: 234 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh no!

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where does a crucifer appear anywhere in the Book of Common Prayer?

I too want to live and learn.

[ 25. May 2009, 01:29: Message edited by: Triple Tiara ]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

They bestow canonries for doing just about anything these days, don't they?
[Killing me]
Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Where does a crucifer appear anywhere in the Book of Common Prayer?

I too want to live and learn.

I think its one of the Ornaments which may, or may not be referred to by the Rubric [Biased]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I served as thurifer for the first time this morning. I noticed that when I began to take a swing at Father, he bent backwards just in case. So much for the confidence vote!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
I served as thurifer for the first time this morning. I noticed that when I began to take a swing at Father, he bent backwards just in case. So much for the confidence vote!

You didn't lunge your whole body forward, did you? It doesn't make the smoke travel any further but it's funny to watch people do it. It reminds me of one occasion when I was little and the batteries in the remote control to my grandmother's television set were on the brink of death. She would swing the remote control violently while pressing the button, almost like an aspergillum, seemingly trying to give the signal some momentum so it would reach the television. [Axe murder]

[ 22. June 2009, 14:40: Message edited by: Cyprian ]

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
You didn't lunge your whole body forward, did you? It doesn't make the smoke travel any further but it's funny to watch people do it. It reminds me of one occasion when I was little and the batteries in the remote control to my grandmother's television set were on the brink of death. She would swing the remote control violently while pressing the button, almost like an aspergillum, seemingly trying to give the signal some momentum so it would reach the television.

Actually, rather than lunge forward, I stepped back to ensure I would not hit him. And my grandmother did the same to her remote and I still do to this day!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016