homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Incense and thuribles (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Incense and thuribles
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ooooops [Embarrassed]

I go and put the Regina Caeli in my sig, and then forget, and call you AD.

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
raphael
Shipmate
# 4377

- Posted      Profile for raphael     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see what you are saying Ethel and Regina. You have changed my perception almost compeletly. If you get them when they are young, they are more likely to stay?? And, yes, it is an oppourtinity for the little people to be involved in the liturgy.

Maybe the boat boy could walk with the MC in procession so as not to cramp the thurifer's 'style'.

I'll try get some patience going for boat boys (yes, boys! for some reason the idea of boat girl to me is just not right. I know it is wrong of me, but I can't help it.)

--------------------
It is very meet, right, and our bounden duty, that we should, at all times and in all places give thanks unto thee, O Lord, Holy Father, Almighty, Everlasting God.

Posts: 168 | From: South Africa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

- Posted      Profile for Saint Osmund   Email Saint Osmund       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by -blood-and-fire-:
If you get them when they are young, they are more likely to stay??

Depends on how you go about it. What I have seen in churches of a certain tradition is strong children's groups, who are taken away for the majority of the Sunday 'Parish Communion' to co children's activities, and so grow up with this concept of church being tailored specificaly to them, in addition to it splitting the community into little separate groups.

When they get to a certain age, this all seems very patronising to them, there is nothing tailored specially for them anymore, and the 'adult' church service is something that is completely foreign to them, as they have never been a part of it. The result is that this bunch of teenagers walk.

Now if they had been included in the liturgy of the church rather than being separated from it because of some misguided notion that they find it boring, then perhaps this would be different. My suggestion to churches that find it necessary to remove children from the liturgy as they find it boring, is that perhaps it is boring, and that they ought to seriously re-assess the way they do liturgy.

Children and young people, and most people for that matter, find their spirituality enriched by bold liturgy, whether it be solid Evangelical or solid Catholic. A watered-down, nonsensical, half-hearted, mix n' match version of these traditions is what puts children and me off. It is so very banal, with bits of different traditions used here and there in a really self-conscious way, with no attachment to their actual meaning.

So yes, I believe that children can develop a faith based on what they see in proper worship, and this can grow and be nourished by the church, but I do not believe that we should offer some sort of special alternative, and then leave them out in the dark when they get to a certain age, as this will ensure that they leave.

RC x

[fixed a typo]

[ 21. April 2003, 15:09: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 2965 | From: here | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Regina Cæli:
Children and young people, and most people for that matter, find their spirituality enriched by bold liturgy, whether it be solid Evangelical or solid Catholic. A watered-down, nonsensical, half-hearted, mix n' match version of these traditions is what puts children and me off. It is so very banal, with bits of different traditions used here and there in a really self-conscious way, with no attachment to their actual meaning.

So yes, I believe that children can develop a faith based on what they see in proper worship, and this can grow and be nourished by the church, but I do not believe that we should offer some sort of special alternative, and then leave them out in the dark when they get to a certain age, as this will ensure that they leave.

Well said RC!

"From middle-of-the-road religion: Good Lord deliver us"

(That is in the Litany isn't it?) [Smile]

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

- Posted      Profile for Intrepid Thurifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know where I can purchase rose incense. I believe it was called "Rosa Mystica" the one I am looking for. But if anyone knows of any other rose incense please let me know
Posts: 142 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

- Posted      Profile for Saint Osmund   Email Saint Osmund       Edit/delete post 
As the brothers who made it became unwell, and it was traced to the manufacturing process, I doubt that anywhere that has any would be willing to part with it.

There are alternatives though. I get the Orthodox 'Purbeck Rose', made by the good people at S Edwards.

RC x

Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As the brothers who made it became unwell, and it was traced to the manufacturing process, I doubt that anywhere that has any would be willing to part with it.

Speaking of unwell, Regina..... there is an ears-nose-throat surgeon in my parish who insists that the use of incense results in high rates of cancer in the sinus area for thurifers--and that monks on Mount Athos essentially submit to a kind of respiratory martyrdom in some cases because their lungs are eventually packed full of incense dust. I've brushed him off in this assertion for years, but he persists. I would have no intention of ceasing to thurify if he turned out to be correct, but I'd be interested if someone on the board knows of a credible medical study to this effect.

--------------------
"Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Posts: 406 | From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

There are alternatives though. I get the Orthodox 'Purbeck Rose', made by the good people at S Edwards.

RC x

I hate to say this, but making and/or ingesting that foul blend would indeed make one ill. [Projectile]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

I discovered today that one of them actually died. [Frown]

It's a fragrance that I doubt was intended to be used alone though. You'd really have to mix it with something a little more frankincesish.

RC x

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
Much as it grieves me, I have to disagree with my good friend Cosmo. Prinknash 'Basilica' is, in my opinion, one of the best forms of incense - if not the best - and given a choice I would use it every time.

Basilica, IMO, is disgusting. It smells like puff and strangulates my throat. Almost anything else would be nicer.
[Cool]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eminentisimo
Apprentice
# 3924

- Posted      Profile for Eminentisimo   Author's homepage   Email Eminentisimo       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the choir] should be able to breathe pure, unadulterated air, free from the smell of both incense and stale cassocks
quoted above by CorgaGreti

Never trust waht is written in books.

George Guest tolertaed incense. It was used in my time there - Easter, Ascension, Trinity & a Solemn Evensong to commemorate the anniversary of Bishop Fisher's death (& co-founder of the college). I even have several photos of George with the Sanctuary party including a thurifer and boat boy.

The choir liked it too as it gave them an excuse for the odd bum note (not that there were many, of course) after heavy evenings in the bar....

--------------------
Numerare tuos disce dias

Posts: 22 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I get a witness?

http://www.ontario.anglican.ca/scentfree.htm

I'd be interested to know of a confirmed sighting of this plaque in an actual place of worship. Presumably, it applies to incense as well as to "perfumes, colognes, after-shaves" et ceteras?

--------------------
"Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
Much as it grieves me, I have to disagree with my good friend Cosmo. Prinknash 'Basilica' is, in my opinion, one of the best forms of incense - if not the best - and given a choice I would use it every time.

Basilica, IMO, is disgusting. It smells like puff and strangulates my throat. Almost anything else would be nicer.
[Cool]

I can only assume you aren't having it burnt properly. Sack the thurifer.

Alternatively, as this place did when we got here, it's being kept in the boat, in a damp cellar, and several weeks go by between usages. [Roll Eyes] You do not want to know what that smelt like when put on nearly-out coals (incompetant thurifer). Blech [Ultra confused]

Re: boatkids. They get to dress up and feel important. Of course they're not going to behave like they do when eg bored silly at school. I did have to keep an eye on mine at the Easter Vigil as I gave him a candle, but apart from that (oh, and giving him a tissue to remove his chewing gum [Smile] ) the only problem I had was remembering that effectively my width was doubled, so whereas on my own if I stood just there I wouldn't be in the way, with two of us someone will trip over us.

They also look cute even with runny noses and all the old ladies go aaaaah. And they can go on to be servers, and you can actually teach them to do it competantly, rather than the adults who think that "we've never done it like that before" is a proper argument when discussing how to serve...

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
stbruno
Shipmate
# 3505

- Posted      Profile for stbruno   Email stbruno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In reposne to Interprd Thurifer's request for Rose incense, the Catholic Shop next to the Blessed Sacrament Fathers church in Melbourne sells rose incense...it smells OK too.
Posts: 157 | From: sydney | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

- Posted      Profile for Intrepid Thurifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Bruno Thanks for the info next time I am in the city I will got to St Francis' and get some. I had no idea I would be able to get rose incense so close to home.
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

Offer still stands though.

x

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hostly Mobcap ON

Just moving some relevant posts (all posted on June 9, 2003) from another thread:

quote:
originally posted by angloid:
We had plenty of smoke yesterday but most of it seemed to be charcoal rather than incense. It rather catches the back of the throat and inhibits proper Pentecost(al?) singing. Any thuri-technologists out there who could recommend a remedy? Is it a question of the proportion of charcoal to incense, or how long to let the former burn, or cleaning the thurible, or a combination? I realise a similar thread has been round before but I don't recollect any guidance on this particular problem.

quote:
reply from Merseymike:
Sounds like you need more incense in the mix - and try the more pungent varieties. Next parishioners who go to Italy or Greece. tell them to bring a load back - its good stuff, much cheaper than what we pay here, and usually excessively powerful!

quote:
posted by Ultraspike:
Those self-lighting charcoal briquettes ("Quik-lites" as they're known over here) emit a most noxious odor, and even the strongest incense can hardly overcome it. I recommend "real" charcoal, untreated with chemicals, such as the Kingsford original brand. They take longer to cook but there is much less charcoal smell to compete with. The only problem is you need to have a gas burner or some such setup to cook them. Most sacristies do not have this and must rely on just a lighter or a match to cook the charcoals, hence the need for the self-lighting types. [Frown]

quote:
posted by frater-frag:
At my church we use only real charcoal as well, the trick is to get it really red-hot before the service starts. And of course, make sure that the celebrant only adds three SMALL spoons off incense...

By time I have managed to discipline our priest on that matter, these days he doesn´t put out the glowing charcoal by OD:ing to death [Votive]

As for incense, we mostly use "Three Kings", it burns perfectly and leaves no "coalish" remains in the air.

Of course, using a gas-burner for starting up the coals are also nescessary, and, doing the mighty 360¤ swings as well (remember to lookout for chandeliers)!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Jennifer for locating the original thread. Thanks too others for helpful comments. But Frater.frag's advice would frighten some of our more euro-sceptic members who are afraid of the raging inflation implied by
quote:
the mighty 360¤ swings
(At least that's how it reads on my computer, as a euro symbol rather than a degree symbol.)

[fixed code]

[ 09. June 2003, 20:55: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
Thanks Jennifer for locating the original thread. Thanks too others for helpful comments. But Frater.frag's advice would frighten some of our more euro-sceptic members who are afraid of the raging inflation implied by
quote:
the mighty 360¤ swings
(At least that's how it reads on my computer, as a euro symbol rather than a degree symbol.)

[fixed code]

Thats odd, allthough I do advocate a common EU currency, thats not what I intended! [Razz]

The EURO symbol is located on my E button, ie, €, the ¤ is on my 4 button, toghether with the no longer so mighty $! [Devil]

Are you on a MAC?

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

Hey St Bruno

I bought the rose incense from the Catholic Bookshop next to St Francis church in Melbourne. I am surprised it is really good and not orthodox incense either it was made in Italy. We used it on Pentecost as it is red in colour and we will use it again on the feast of the mother of our lord in August

stbruno
Shipmate
# 3505

- Posted      Profile for stbruno   Email stbruno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pleased to hear the incense was a success Mr Thurifer. Did you notice the other varieties that were also selling..I seem to recall their was one that looked lime green with bright yellow ..not sure what the fragrance was though! Perhaps you could try it out and report back?
Keep on smoking.....

Posts: 157 | From: sydney | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

The others were Citronella incase you have cockroaches in church I geuss, and one other was Patouli (I think thats how you spell it) for the hippies I guess
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Thurifer:
...one other was Patouli (I think thats how you spell it) for the hippies I guess

Also recommended for an Evensnog service. (I'm going to keep making that joke until someone laughs!!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!!!)

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chimakwa
Shipmate
# 3413

- Posted      Profile for Chimakwa   Author's homepage   Email Chimakwa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Siegfried said:

Also recommended for an Evensnog service. (I'm going to keep making that joke until someone laughs!!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!!!)

Perhaps it's just the mood i'm in but that's had me giggling for the last few minutes... hee.

--------------------
athanasia (n): to induce death by means of Quicunque Vult
(Shipmate Formerly Known as Anglicub)

Posts: 249 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:

I have, however, heard absolutely sublime music sung when the smoke was so thick the church looked like a cigar bar. The same has been true when the choir was quite fragrant due to musty vestments and/or widespread halitosis or alcohol-breath.

Greta

Good choirs are troupers who will come through despite adversity. Nevertheless, too much incense will ruin a choir in the long run. I regret to say it, but it's true.

Recruitment of choristers became very difficult for awhile at Church of the Good Shepherd, Rosemont because word got around to all the schools up and down the Main Line that the place would "choke you to death." And it is rumored that when Peter Richard Conte was negotiating a return to S. Clement's, Philadelphia, one of his conditions was that the amount of incense be moderated, because singers of the caliber he wanted simply would refuse to work under conditions that threatened their voices.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The choir at my church has only one real whinger about incense and she is a heavy cigarette smoker, so it's hard to be very sympathetic. [Roll Eyes]

They are far enough away that it really shouldn't bother them, since most of the smoke goes straight up to the rafters.

As I've said before, Frankincense and Myrrh are good expectorants and decongestants. Most people inhale much worse things walking down the city streets. [brick wall]

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
relocated from another thread

quote:
Originally posted by boppysbud:
About incense.

I noticed growing up in the 70's when smoking was socially acceptable, the same people who would be complaining of allergies and asthma and coughing their heads off at the merest whiff from the censer could not wait for Mass to end so they could light up. [Ultra confused] [Help]

At coffee hour you couldn't see across the parish hall for the wal-to-wall cigarette smoke. [Projectile]

Seems like what they were really allergic to was Catholicism [Devil]

Deon
Shipmate
# 609

- Posted      Profile for Deon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:

I have, however, heard absolutely sublime music sung when the smoke was so thick the church looked like a cigar bar. The same has been true when the choir was quite fragrant due to musty vestments and/or widespread halitosis or alcohol-breath.

Greta

Good choirs are troupers who will come through despite adversity.
Witness my lot:

http://genecs.com/smaa/Gallery/Photographs%20-%202002%20-%20Corpus%20Christi/2002_0602_115759AA.JPG

Cheers

Posts: 392 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

From another thread on how to clean thuribles

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
Acetone to get the residue off (not forgetting the chains) then brass/silver polish.

Every week if possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Osmund:
Rubber gloves, ethanol and a toothbrush are what I use. Emptying the thurible immediately after use also helps prevent it getting into the same state again.

Rinse thoroughly with water afterwards, and then dry it. Brasso should then do a sterling job.

M x

(PS - I haven't seen Silvo anywhere for ages. Is this no longer available?)

M x

quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan:
Acetone is great for removing the tar. To polish it is easier to use "Twinkle" if available. You won't get as high a shine as with "Brasso" but it requires a lot less elbow grease.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While we're discussing minutiae, I wonder how others feel about two preferences that I have relating to censing the congregation.

The first is that the thurifer should swing the thurible as far into the nave as possible-- if circumstances permit, from the end of the chain and at arm's length. This looks generous and pastoral. Some thurifers give the chain only about a foot of play and make three little swings from shoulder height. One gets the impression that they're wiping their noses (or thumbing them?) at the people rather than serving them.

I also prefer that the thurifers look out at the congregation while censing them. Custos oculi is a good thing oftentimes, but here it just looks as though one is sleepwalking or in a trance.

These points probably make me a horrible revisionist in the eyes of those who feel that some ancient rubric in fine print must be adhered to at all costs. But if I were a thurifer, this is how I'd hope to proceed. And if I were a master of acolytes, this is how I would train others, and if overruled I just might be upset enough to resign. When you can see such variations in the styles of thurifers at S. Clement's, Philadelphia, you must doubt that any cardinal rule is at stake.

Does anyone care to argue to the contrary?

--------------------

Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The variation of styles in use at S. Clement's for the censing of the congregation is an utter disgrace! Unfortunately, Alogon the correct method is the one which you seem not to prefer, and soon will be the only one in use there, so I'm told.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
The variation of styles in use at S. Clement's for the censing of the congregation is an utter disgrace! Unfortunately, Alogon the correct method is the one which you seem not to prefer, and soon will be the only one in use there, so I'm told.

Who/what makes it "the" correct method? I suspect that at S. Clement's, this would be a case of the lay popes striking again <sigh>, which in turn suggests a figurehead rector. I wouldn't blame Fr. Reid yet if so, because he is still new; but neither do I suspect, from what little I've gathered, that an enforced uniformity in that direction would originate with him.

Fr. Laister was one of our greater rectors partly because he had what it took to make the congregation feel needed in the liturgy, even if it meant adopting a few details that didn't please the "sacristy rats" for whom ancient minutiae are the nun plus ultra.

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Yes, the congo should be censed with three full chains, center-left-right. It is important to smile but not grin. But the sanctuary party should only get a short chain. We have a couple of incorrigibles who insist on censing the acolytes with a long chain and it looks ridiculous. [Mad]

Now, what about figure 8's or Queen Annes, as we call them? I used to like them but now they just seem pretentious, ostentatious and even dangerous. Whence did this practice originate and why? [Ultra confused]

Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

Alogon and Ultraspike, I agree entirely with both of you. I also cense the congregation with the thurible at full length, as I believe that, as with any symbol, what we are doing ought to be made clear.

When I served at Mass in Lourdes a couple of years ago, the fact that the liturgical awareness of the regular servers of the Cathedral of the diocese that I accompanied was irreparably poor was most apparent. The seminarians were scurrying, rather then walking all over the sanctuary. One of them refused to allow me to add more incense to the thurible after the censings at the Offertory, despite the fact that there was no smoke whatever emanating from it. As a result, I ended up swinging an empty thurible towards the Blessed Sacrament at the elevations, and all beause of some misguided notion that "only the Bishop adds more incense".

When the Deacon was censing the Offertory, I had to restrain laughter. I had serious doubts that he had ever handled a thurible before. He held it directly in front of his face in his right hand, at arm's length, about 6 inches above the pot, and pulled the rest of the chain tight in his left hand. He then proceeded the strike the chain against the pot to make it move towards the congregation. The idea of swinging it appeared not to have occurred to him.

I believe that there are times (such as occasions where the Deacon is inept) when the less essential rubrics may be laid aside for the better performance of the liturgy (ie, let the thurifer do it!)

I am increasingly in agreement about figure '8's as well. They are highly ostentatious, and if they must be used, perhaps ought to be reserved for more festal outdoor processions. The most I stretch to now is swinging on either side. As the good Saint Percy saith, "The warning, 'Avoid Elaboration' needs constant repetition..."

M x

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
I am increasingly in agreement about figure '8's as well. They are highly ostentatious, and if they must be used, perhaps ought to be reserved for more festal outdoor processions.
M x

I don't have a strong opinion about full-circle swings etc. Festal occasions, and judiciously, fine with me. Whether they look ostentatious depends somewhat on the thurifer's skill (or lack thereof). The best make them so deftly and neatly that they're over before you realize that they're started. "Art is the concealment of art." I'd be inclined to enjoy a well-executed fancy swing similarly to a soaring descant by the choir trebles, or a nearly kaleidoscopic free harmonization on the organ, for a climactic stanza of a hymn, as an occasional adornment.

But I certainly wouldn't insist on it.

--------------------

Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
When I served at Mass in Lourdes a couple of years ago, the fact that the liturgical awareness of the regular servers of the Cathedral of the diocese that I accompanied was irreparably poor was most apparent. The seminarians were scurrying, rather then walking all over the sanctuary. One of them refused to allow me to add more incense to the thurible after the censings at the Offertory, despite the fact that there was no smoke whatever emanating from it. As a result, I ended up swinging an empty thurible towards the Blessed Sacrament at the elevations, and all beause of some misguided notion that "only the Bishop adds more incense".

When the Deacon was censing the Offertory, I had to restrain laughter. I had serious doubts that he had ever handled a thurible before. He held it directly in front of his face in his right hand, at arm's length, about 6 inches above the pot, and pulled the rest of the chain tight in his left hand. He then proceeded the strike the chain against the pot to make it move towards the congregation. The idea of swinging it appeared not to have occurred to him.

M x

Another problem there was that the deacon should not have been censing the gifts or the people, whatever it was he was doing...

--------------------
More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan:
Another problem there was that the deacon should not have been censing the gifts or the people, whatever it was he was doing...

I am no expert on the Roman rite, but I believe that the Celebrant (bishop, in this instance) censes the gifts and offertory, and Deacon then censes him and any concelebrants, and then the congregation, before handing the thurible back to the thurifer. That is why it didn't seem oddd to me at the time that the Deacon insisted on doing the censings (apart from the fact that he didn't know how).

M x

Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

Just checked, and yes, the Deacon censes Celebrant, any concelebrants, choir and congregation before handing the thurible back to the thurifer.

M x

Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks SO.

I was under the impression that you were at an Anglican affair. [Big Grin]

I wouldn't want to be a thurifer in that context - not much to do! [Snore] [Snore] [Snore]

Sacristan

--------------------

Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

I'm sorry. I ought to have mentioned it was with the RC Diocese of Salford.

It was a bit dull being the thurifer, which is something I never thought I would type here. Then so was the whole thing, and the bishop was a liturgical disaster as well. (Is this a prerequisite?)

M x

Pax Britannica
Shipmate
# 1876

- Posted      Profile for Pax Britannica   Email Pax Britannica       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The first is that the thurifer should swing the thurible...from the end of the chain and at arm's length.

Minutiae indeed, but is there any authority anywhere for this bizarre, undignified and dangerous aberration? The correct handling of the thurible is perfectly clearly described by Fortescue -- are there any other sources, other than Shipmates' (no-doubt well-intentioned!) personal inventions?

I suspect this is an Anglican confabulation of the past thirty years, based on a misunderstanding of the handling of Orthodox thuribles (which are a quite different shape). Is this another attempt to show how anti-Rome we are?

Answers on a postcard please...

Treatise
Shipmate
# 4255

- Posted      Profile for Treatise   Email Treatise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know of no authority for the figure eight or the 360. I was very fond of doing both when I was younger, but now I agree with others who find them cheap and showy.

As for what Alogon and others say on styles and whether particular ways of doing a thing are pastoral or not, I find that the joy of being in a place like S. Clement's is the work that the parish has put into liberating itself from eccentricities and preferences. There are few idiosyncrasies or little moments where the servers or the sacred ministers’ gestures say that I should turn aside from the worship of almighty God to note that someone is doing something that is “meaningful” to them that I should find to be meaningful as well.

When I was much too young, I was the MC for a weekly solemn mass in a beautiful church and got to run amok doing things I had always wanted to try or thought would be meaningful, or, like wild antics with a thurible, just thought were neat. Now that I’m older and wiser, I want consistency so that I need not be distracted from the worship of God by wondering what someone is going to take it into their head to do next or having to pause to decide whether I like or approve of whatever thing just happened. S. Clement’s quest for consistency (God bless every one of our hard-working rats) certainly isn’t for everyone, but I am very glad that there are such places.

Posts: 227 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pax Britannica is (as usual) spot on. Quoth Alogon:
quote:
Who/what makes it "the" correct method?
The rubrics of the liturgical books, the decreta authentica of the S.R.C., and the commentaries of the approved authors. Is there another authoritative source?

And again:
quote:
I suspect that at S. Clement's, this would be a case of the lay popes striking again
If so, Deo gratias! Heaven forfend that those interested in the intricacies of ceremonial should be involved with producing it.

Finally (and at some length, I'm afraid):
quote:
Fr. Laister was one of our greater rectors partly because he had what it took to make the congregation feel needed in the liturgy, even if it meant adopting a few details that didn't please the "sacristy rats" for whom ancient minutiae are the nun plus ultra.
With respect to the poster's latter comment, assuming that ne plus ultra is actually meant, I would indeed agree--although not with any of the disparagement which I presume is intended. In terms of the former, perhaps Alogon could be a bit more specific?

And from Ultraspike:
quote:
Yes, the congo should be censed with three full chains, center-left-right. It is important to smile but not grin.
And the source of this is? Personal innovation?

However, with respect to:
quote:
Now, what about figure 8's or Queen Annes, as we call them? I used to like them but now they just seem pretentious, ostentatious and even dangerous.
Quite right, Mr Edmund Bishop wrote that "The genius of the native Roman rite is marked by simplicity, practicality, a great sobriety and self-control, gravity and dignity."

I have no particular objection to any of the varieties of ceremonial which have developed in the history of the Church, but I simply loathe the mix-n-match favoured by some clergy and laity. It smacks of the "Bayeux Cathedral Syndrome" which is endemic among the adherents of the S.S.P.X.; it is characterized by deciding questions of ceremonial based on "what I remember from Bayeux cathedral when I was a boy." For the most part, a question of simple laziness and self-aggrandizement!

Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

quote:
And from Ultraspike:
quote:
Yes, the congo should be censed with three full chains, center-left-right. It is important to smile but not grin.
And the source of this is? Personal innovation?

Almost every major AC church that uses incenses that I've ever seen censes the congo thusly (although the smile is optional). I always assumed it was in the "rubrics" somewhere. But I dare say every practice was someone's "personal innovation" sometime. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Quoth Alogon:
quote:
Who/what makes it "the" correct method?
The rubrics of the liturgical books, the decreta authentica of the S.R.C., and the commentaries of the approved authors. Is there another authoritative source?
With respect to the poster's latter comment, assuming that ne plus ultra is actually meant, I would indeed agree--although not with any of the disparagement which I presume is intended. In terms of the former, perhaps Alogon could be a bit more specific?

I'd like to check Ritual Notes and The Parson's Handbook before surrendering. If neither of these support my preference, I will have to concede (reluctantly) that there is no established western authority for it. On the other hand, I don't know why eastern usage should be dismissed simply because their thuribles were of a different shape. What is dangerous about swinging the thurible in a large arc rather than a small one, assuming that there is plenty of open space for it?

I would be happy to be more specific as you requested. Today the epistle is read in the sanctuary facing east. The Holy Gospel is proclaimed in the sanctuary facing the north wall. Most of the Lord's Prayer is chanted by the celebrant alone, even though the Book of Common Prayer has clearly announced, "we are bold to say..." for centuries.

I am aware of the ancient symbolism surrounding the northward position for the Gospel, but it shouldn't take precedence over proclaiming the Gospel to those present. Why the epistle is read facing east or why the people are kept from singing the entire Lord's Prayer, I have no idea, but the latter especially is "offensive" (to quote an old friend in his 70s, a nearly life-long Anglo-Catholic and long-time parishioner, who has, I'm sorry to say, recently departed to a 'breakaway' Anglican congregation.)

These usages flourished, and probably originated, during an era when the laity seldom received Communion and were in general treated as second-class citizens. The effect of all of them when revived today is to suggest that those in the congregation are tolerated onlookers rather than valued participants. The appearance of a merely perfunctory censing of the people looks like one more manifestation of the same attitude. I probably wouldn't even mention it if it occurred in isolation.

If I were convinced that we must adhere to these details, or the walls would come tumbling down and we would degenerate into a garden-variety Rite II Anglo-Catholic-Lite kind of place, I'd gladly applaud every last one of them despite personal feelings. But in some ways I am still an Anglo-Catholic, not a resuscitated 17th-century RC, and I know that Anglo-Catholicism has done very nicely, indeed had its heyday, when it was moved by pastoral as well as historical concerns.

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Censing the congo with a long chain must surely have been seen as just a logical way to get more smoke out to a large area. It makes sense (pun) to use the short chain in a smaller area where your object is closer. So what if it's not written down in Fortescue. Those books are only guidelines, not Gospel, imho. Innovations always creep in due to local usage and/or (God forbid) eccentricities.

If you really want the congo to feel censed, do it like the Orthodox or St. Mary the Virgin TImes Square these days. The deacon runs down the aisle censing one side then the other. [Roll Eyes]

Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
If you really want the congo to feel censed, do it like the Orthodox or St. Mary the Virgin TImes Square these days. The deacon runs down the aisle censing one side then the other. [Roll Eyes]

That's really horrid for a Western Rite church.

Sacristan

P.S. You know what "they" say: Nothing incenses like incense.

--------------------

Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

Why is the congregation censed, again? Has this always been done in the West?

--------------------

Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

quote:
These usages flourished, and probably originated, during an era when the laity seldom received Communion and were in general treated as second-class citizens. The effect of all of them when revived today is to suggest that those in the congregation are tolerated onlookers rather than valued participants.

And that is precisely the point!

Some of the more discerning of you may have picked up an inkling in you reading of MW that I have a minor interest in English Catholic rites and ceremonial. [Smile]

My starting point for liturgical authority in such cases is mediaeval Catholic practice, much of which lives on in our beloved Book of Common Prayer. This must then be adapted (and the adaptation required is most often surprisingly minimal) to our current authorised rites.

Further to Alogon's comment above, and to answer PA's question, one will find that in these mediaeval rites, with all of their detailed rubrics, that there were no directions for the censing of the congregation, for the posture of the congregation throughout the Mass, or for the reception of Holy Communion. They were onlookers, often reduced to running around churches to catch a glimpse of the elevations through 'squints'; and apart fro Easter, this was the nearest they came to the Blessed Sacrament.

quote:
Originaly posted by Ultraspike:
So what if it's not written down in Fortescue. Those books are only guidelines, not Gospel, imho.

A-a-a-a-a-a-me-en!

I am a great fan of Dr Dearmer's great work, but I realise that he was adapting traditional English Catholic ceremonial to the liturgy of his day, within the canonical strictures of his day, and so I do not approve of their wholesale adoption; and even he allows for variations based on local circumstances.

As for this talk of 'Western' authority, the tradition in the Western Church was for local variations. This only came to an abrupt end at the Council of Trent, by whih time, Anglicanism had continued in English practice, as adapted to the BCP.

If you have enough room to do it, then do it, and if not, then obviously don't. If your thurible is intact, and properly closed, provided that there is sufficient space, and yout thufier isn't hungover, there is no reason they may not be done.

M x

Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

quote:
Originally posted by Panis Angelicus:
Why is the congregation censed, again? Has this always been done in the West?

In my previous post, I overlooked the first part of your question. Apologies.

I have never seen this written down anywhere, and have never been taught this, but since I have been old enough to understand (to whatever degree we can understand) what happens at Mass, I have made this association in my mind:

The oblations to be offered are censed, then the Cross, to show that the Sacrifice being mde present is one and the same with the Sacrifice on the Cross. Then in censed the Altar on which the Sacrifice is to be offered, followed by the priest who is to offer the Sacrifice in persona Christi sacerdos magnus, and then the entire congregation, the Kingdom of Priests who also take part in the Sacrifice.

I have always seen it as uniting everybody present in the 'anamnesis' of Christ's Sacrifice at Calvary. To omit the censing of the congregation, or to somhow downplay it seems therefore out of place.

I don't know if this is theologically sound,. but it seems to be, and as for why we cense the congregation, it's an explanation that works for me. [Biased]

M x

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016