homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Incense and thuribles (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Incense and thuribles
Pax Britannica
Shipmate
# 1876

- Posted      Profile for Pax Britannica   Email Pax Britannica       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Osmund:
I have never seen this written down anywhere

Then, sonny, get your Aquinas Summa Theol out of the Manchester Public Library and look up Pars III, q. LXXXIII, art. 5. If you ask nicely, FCB may come and help us.

Of much more interest than "what we did at Bayeaux when I was a boy" is the prayer used at the putting on of the incense and why it erroneously mentions Michael.

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post 
I have never seen (to my knowledge) this business of censing the congregation with a full chain. I don't quite see the point of it unless you go the full SMtVTSq route which has, at least, the virtue of consistency. After all, not everybody is going to get smoke on them if you choose to use either a full chain or a short chain. Or are we saying we should at least look as though we are censing everybody so as to ensure no-body gets left out. I'm in favour of style over substance as much as the next man but really... Not only that, it's completely inconsistent with what's going on with the sanctuary party.

The Lord Bishop of London insists on censing the altar with a full chain (all the while muttering Greek obscenities), no doubt due to his Orthodox tendencies. It is intensely annoying and, worse, completely out of step with all Western Use. The same, I imagine, would be my reaction if I was in the congo of a church and found myself censed with a full chain.

Cosmo

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post 
<Bump>

Henry103, you might find this thread interesting.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At St Mary's - if we are using the High Altar the thurifer goes into the blessed sacrament chapel to put the thurible onto the Stand.
If we are using nave altar thurifer sits to the right of the altar with the thurible on the stand underneath the eagle stand.
When it comes to consecration, thurifer moves to the altar during the "Blessed is he who comes to the name of the Lord" in the Lamb of God, everyone kneels when the bells ring.
When the host is elavated, incense is clicked three times with the bells and the same with the cup.
All servers disapear when the great amen is sung and then servers appear in semi circle to recieve communion.
-Henry

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
variously posted by Henry103:
...thurifer sits to the right of the altar...

...the stand....

When the host is elavated, incense is clicked three times with the bells...

Mr. Balkwill, 'right'! Your right? The celebrant's right? Stage right? Your other right? Honestly, the only directions that still work are East, South, West, and North. Now, to which side of the altar does the thurifer sit?

The 'stand'. Ah, yes, that would be the silent acolyte.

And, 'clinking'? Cocktails glasses, perhaps, may be clinked, but the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar is incensed. [Thank you Fiddleback for sparing me your withering ridicule, at least while there was a fatter target in range.] It may happen that the thurible makes noise against its chains. Some may approve, while others despair, the untuned sound, but one incenses the MBS. One does not clink anything.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry103:
I think most people are married at St Mary's - except for the younger servers, and myself though I'm only 16.

With howlers such as this, Mr. Balkwill, it's hard for me to believe you are not really a 46 year old troll yanking our chain. But, being the gullible sort, I'll tell you DODwarf found my diction risible: By 'single individual', I intended a person not standing next to another. Will you please stop telling us you are "only 16".

Can anyone attest to Young Henry's true age?

ce
Shipmate
# 1957

- Posted      Profile for ce   Email ce   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:
quote:
With howlers such as this, Mr. Balkwill, it's hard for me to believe you are not really a 46 year old troll yanking our chain. But, being the gullible sort, I'll tell you DODwarf found my diction risible: By 'single individual', I intended a person not standing next to another. Will you please stop telling us you are "only 16".

Can anyone attest to Young Henry's true age?

A quick "google" on "Henry Balkwill" will confirm that Henry appears to be what he says he is, or has a well developed and longstanding "troll persona".

Oh and what exactly were you filmed doing for Childrens TV, Henry? - enquiring minds want to know.

ce

--------------------
ce

Posts: 376 | From: Middlesex, U.K. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A quick "google" on "Henry Balkwill" will confirm that Henry appears to be what he says he is, or has a well developed and longstanding "troll persona".

Oh and what exactly were you filmed doing for Childrens TV, Henry? - enquiring minds want to know.

Wow - Good Research - I was filmed for a Childrens ITV program called "The Top Ten of Everything" I was singing a medley of the top ten christmas carols, I also was on a BBC Gameshow called "2for2000", but I only got to round 2 (there were 2000 contestants and 4 rounds)
Yes, I've been on the internet now since I was about 9, so thats 7 years on the internet!
If you can find out the specs of my first laptop though - I'll be dead impressed [Razz]

-Henry

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Henry,

I am afraid our gentle jesting has made you shy of using ancient and proper Latin liturgical terminology. You can do better than this: "...thurifer moves to the altar during the "Blessed is he who comes to the name of the Lord" in the Lamb of God, everyone kneels...".

I for one think that you are 16 even though the only proof you have supplied is a photo of a trouser leg and a trainer. Your devotion to the Church is, sadly, far from typical for your age group which tends to be obsessed with more trivial matters.

You communicate very well for someone so young(although I would suggest that you brush up a bit on punctuation), and I shall confess to having enjoyed your posts and threads. I shall even go so far as to opine that you have been a whiff of incense in the MW onion patch.

As an aside, I hate your new screen name. As a life-long Anglo-Catholic, I naturally preferred the old one.

Greta

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I shall confess to having enjoyed your posts and threads.

Moi aussi.
ce
Shipmate
# 1957

- Posted      Profile for ce   Email ce   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Henry,
quote:

If you can find out the specs of my first laptop though - I'll be dead impressed [Razz]
-Henry

OK, I'll rise to the bait, in 2001 you were running a 100meg laptop with 98se.
More seriously (and somewhat back on topic) I would like second what CorgiGreta said. You have given cosiderable entertainment (and provocation) but I suspect that you are quite capable of keeping your side of the dialogue up.

ce

--------------------
ce

Posts: 376 | From: Middlesex, U.K. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Henry,

I am afraid our gentle jesting has made you shy of using ancient and proper Latin liturgical terminology. You can do better than this: "...thurifer moves to the altar during the "Blessed is he who comes to the name of the Lord" in the Lamb of God, everyone kneels...".

I for one think that you are 16 even though the only proof you have supplied is a photo of a trouser leg and a trainer. Your devotion to the Church is, sadly, far from typical for your age group which tends to be obsessed with more trivial matters.

You communicate very well for someone so young(although I would suggest that you brush up a bit on punctuation), and I shall confess to having enjoyed your posts and threads. I shall even go so far as to opine that you have been a whiff of incense in the MW onion patch.

As an aside, I hate your new screen name. As a life-long Anglo-Catholic, I naturally preferred the old one.

Greta

Uhuh, ok lets see (thinks of old latin stuff)
Lamb of God = "Agnes Dei" - "es" = "of", "Agn" = "Lamb", "Dei" = "God"
The "Blessed is he..." is called the "Benedictus"? - I don't really listen to the choir when they sing in latin, I just try to work out where everyone should be!
When I say everyone kneels when the bells ring, I mean that everyone falls to their knees as the mass reaches its climax!

-Henry

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Sorry for Double Posting - the time ran out!
quote:
OK, I'll rise to the bait, in 2001 you were running a 100meg laptop with 98se.
More seriously (and somewhat back on topic) I would like second what CorgiGreta said. You have given cosiderable entertainment (and provocation) but I suspect that you are quite capable of keeping your side of the dialogue up.

Very Good [Big Grin] - it was actually a Dell Latitude XPi 100SD, 100mhz Pentium, 40mb RAM, 2.1gb Hard Disk, 28.8k Modem [Big Grin]

Actually - it's rather scary that people can find so much about me on the internet!
I'll raise the stakes here: which newsgroup I'm I an active member of and what's my nickname on it?

Also what was the name of the boatboy at mass today - I've forgotten so you will all have to remind me! (laughs as this will now be impossible)

-Henry
P.S. Sorry if I'm abusing this forums with my silly games Mr. Admin - this is just a one off!

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I may drag this thread kicking and screaming back to the subject of incense and thurifers...

I'm doing smoke on Wednesday (at my AC parish church) for a funeral (Requiem Mass) for a lady whose family are RC. Are there any simple ways in which I can vary my style to make them feel at home?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
If I may drag this thread kicking and screaming back to the subject of incense and thurifers...

I'm doing smoke on Wednesday (at my AC parish church) for a funeral (Requiem Mass) for a lady whose family are RC. Are there any simple ways in which I can vary my style to make them feel at home?

Less smoke - many RC Parishes don't actually use incense anymore, and if they do (i'm thinking about one monastry now) smoke is rare when it comes out of the thurible, it really is quite pointless.
When it comes to ritual, I think its pretty much the same!

-Henry

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Less smoke - many RC Parishes don't actually use incense anymore, and if they do (i'm thinking about one monastry now) smoke is rare when it comes out of the thurible, it really is quite pointless.
When it comes to ritual, I think its pretty much the same!

-Henry

Beg to differ on that one, Henry - the first RC church I ever went to, you could barely see the altar for the smoke. The same with my current church. I think the thurifer's a pyromaniac. And, to be honest, the same holds true for all of the RC churches I've been in over the last few years, apart from one in Carlisle.

But that had the altar on the same level as the people, and it was all a bit traumatic, frankly.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:

Well, if you are in the U.S. and are trying to make Roman Catholics feel at home, you might want to omit incense. [Snigger]

--------------------
More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
I think the thurifer's a pyromaniac
It's part of the job description!

-Henry

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:

They're going to know they're not at home, so just do your normal thing. Trust me that they won't have any idea of "proper" use of a thurible. And you can also content yourself with knowing that if they aren't used to incense (or your particular quantity of it), you will have provided them with years of happy indignation to pull out at any and all family gatherings: "Oh my, do you remember all that incense at Gran's funeral?"

Seriously, what's going to really throw them off are the tiny differences in the various congregational responses.

[ 09. May 2004, 23:51: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seem to recall that as a Requiem Mass is not a Mass 'of this realm', the congregation are onlookers and not necessarily participants.

This is why they do not receive communion and I believe that they are also not censed at the Offertory.

Did I dream this or has anybody come across this before?

[ 10. May 2004, 06:07: Message edited by: Back-to-Front ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
I seem to recall that as a Requiem Mass is not a Mass 'of this realm', the congregation are onlookers and not necessarily participants.

This is why they do not receive communion and I believe that they are also not censed at the Offertory.

Did I dream this or has anybody come across this before?

I've just checked my Sunday Missal (approved for use in England & Wales, Ireland & Scotland) and the funeral Mass is an Eucharistic Celebration. There's nothing in the rubrics about censing (or not), but it seems to indicate that the congregation do receive Communion.

Deborah

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Rosamundi, for that. [Smile]

I'm familiar with the modern Roman position on this.

I ought to have clarified that I meant in an Anglican context, (specifically CE) what is stipulated by the authority in English Catholicism regarding such matters?

I know that the hearse is censed at numeous points in the liturgy, but I don't know that the congregation are. [Confused]

[ 11. May 2004, 20:42: Message edited by: Back-to-Front ]

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nope, every-one got censed and every-one who wanted to received.

It was a lovely service, and I managed not to cry despite being a little "welled up" at a few points. I fear to say it, but it was a marvellous sight when I came out of the back of the church to meet the hearse to lead the coffin in and found a queue of people going over 100 yards down the road and then round the corner waiting to get into church.

I wish we had the same problems (queues to get in, standing room only, running out of orders of service) every Sunday!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(On topic replies from a thread about shelf life of incense)

quote:
Originally posted by Bishop of Stortford:
Rummaging through some cupboards in the sacristy on Sunday, I came across some rusty old tins of incense from Charles Farris Ltd of Hounslow. One is called "Canterbury"; the other seems to have no name. Judging by the state of the tins, I'd guess they've been there since the 1970s, if not before - possibly since the reformation. I was wondering if this stuff has a shelf life. Has anyone tried burning ancient incense? Will it still smell any good? Can it be worse than Glastonbury?

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
Most commercial stuff is ground far too small and therefore has a very short shelf life once opened, especially the ubiquitous 'Basilica' which is OK on the day of purchase but shite thereafter. We import ours from New York and worth every penny it is too.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Yes, incense does get stale. The frankincense and myrrh by themselves will last indefinitely but the oils which are added have a limited freshness. Keeping the incense in an airtight bag or container helps.
Yesterday at the Anglican Use Rite at St. Vincent Ferrer the incense smelled like it had gotten mixed with grandpa's pipe tobacco about 25 years ago. [Projectile]

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Just to reinforce what has already been said:

You're dealing with oils, which can go rancid, undergo chemical changes, or just simply dissapate. Use of any incense, except for a new supply of a known and trusted product, should ideally always be subject to a private test-burn. Even if it smells OK in the solid state, burning it might push it over the edge into something nasty.
(tangent: Essential oils have various shelf-lives; I believe the floral ones tend to break down sooner. The more aromatic or resinous ones (think burial herbs and spices) are quite long-lasting. I have a little vial of oil of cloves which is well over 30 years old and still going strong.)

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having been a few (highly instructive) Roman Catholic masses recently, I was interested to observe that incense was not used at any of them. These are all (I assume) the main masses of the day in large parishes, both urban and suburban.

Have RCs given up on incense? Or is this an American characteristic.

I should hasten to add, lest I be set upon by our Roman Catholic bretheren, that my parish doesn't use incense either, so I am not judging, but merely curious.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe incense went out with Vatican II for the most part, although "high" churches like St. Agnes here in NYC use it.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stbruno
Shipmate
# 3505

- Posted      Profile for stbruno   Email stbruno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Origionally posted by Hookers trick
quote:
Have RCs given up on incense? Or is this an American characteristic.

I'm sure there are a few Sydney parishes that still like to smoke their proceedings...certainly St Mary's Cathedral uses the stuff at Sunday Solemn Mass and weekly benediction.

Pre Vat II, smoke was only permitted at Solemn Mass (or if the Priest wanted at a Missa Cantata)funeral masses and benediction, and solemn vespers so given that most RC parishes wouldn't know what a solemn mass is, its not surprising that few parishes do smoke even at the principal Sunday mass. I

belive smoke may be found at St Franks (multipara can confirm this) and of course it is almost the rule that smoke should be offered at Lewisham.......

Posts: 157 | From: sydney | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My congregation is not into the incense thing and I'm not making an issue of it. Let them *be* wrong then - I'll still love them.

Luckily, my thurible has no chains (Ho! How does he swing? Funny you should ask. Both ways! Ha!)

Where does one get a set of chains for a thurible anyway...

Raspberry Rabbit
Penicuik, Midlothian

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could get a small link chain at the hardware store. Wouldn't look quite as fetching as one specially made, but it would work. Does it have the base for the chains already? If not you'll have to take it to a silversmith to get it retrofitted.
Bishop of Stortford
Shipmate
# 5653

- Posted      Profile for Bishop of Stortford   Email Bishop of Stortford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going way back in this thread, something Nunc Dimitus said:

quote:
This same pattern happens for the elevation of each element.

(genuflect/dong) -> -> . (elevation/dong) -> -> . (genuflect/dong) -> ->.

Shouldn't you use 3 sets of 3 swings for the elevations? I've always done this because that's what they do at St Botolph Bishopsgate, where I first came across incense. Is that incorrect?
Posts: 176 | From: Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

I believe you'll find in Ritual Notes that it's three double swings.

--------------------

Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishop of Stortford:
I've always done this because that's what they do at St Botolph Bishopsgate, where I first came across incense. Is that incorrect?

It's good to know that one side of Bishopsgate still keeps the faith.
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post 
This past Christmas eve I played the 11pm High service. In order to remain awake and alert I had consumed about 3 pot of coffee. When I finally arrive back at my home I had such a caffeine buzz that I turned on the TV and tried to unwind. I caught a broadcast of a beautiful Lutheran Christmas eve service in Chicago. The music was wonderful! Anyway, I noticed that a young boy carying a thurible was in the procession and later on, at the consecration the Pastor censed (?) the elements. I've also heard that at a nearby Lutheran parish incense is being used on "high" ocassions. Is this practice becoming common among Lutherans here in the States??
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Baltimore regularly uses incense at high feasts.
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ORGANMEISTER:
Is this practice becoming common among Lutherans here in the States??

If the Lutherans in question have a Swedish background it's quite common and always has been. Apparently birettas, 6 candles, chancel lights and the rest are not unknown in parishes with a Swedish background.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishop of Stortford
Shipmate
# 5653

- Posted      Profile for Bishop of Stortford   Email Bishop of Stortford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Now on the subject of clean thuribles... where does one get acetone these days? I couldn't find any this week Even For Ready Money. All the nail polish remover available seems to be proudly announcing its non-acetone status. What to do?

I got some from http://www.beautyfornails.co.uk/ called "The Edge Acetone". It costs 4 quid for half a litre + vat and postage. Seems to do the job adequately.
Posts: 176 | From: Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Holy Cow
Apprentice
# 6245

- Posted      Profile for Holy Cow   Email Holy Cow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mineral Turpentine does the same job as Acetone. I have used turps for may years to remove resin from thuribles.
Posts: 24 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Holy Cow:
Mineral Turpentine ...

I'd not heard this term, so I did some research:

quote:
Turpentine (wood) should not be confused with mineral turpentine. Turpentine (wood) is derived by destructive distillation of wood and contains mainly pinene and dipentene. Mineral turpentine is a refined petroleum solvent and is a mixture of straight and branched chain paraffins, naphthenes and aromatic hydrocarbons.
From the Australian Exposure Standard for turpentine (wood).

I'm not sure exactly what other names this product has elsewhere in the world. The mineral turpentine hits in Google are all either Indian or Australia/New Zealand. It might be what North Americans call "mineral spirits" and the UK "white spirit":
quote:
Odorless mineral spirits (OMS), and mineral spirits (MS) also called "white spirit" in Britain and Europe, are petroleum distillate solvents. These and other solvents such as naphtha, kerosene, toluene, and xylene are distilled from petroleum.
From GAMBLIN ARTISTS COLORS

But the exposure limits don't quite match up. I couldn't find full Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) online for either product.

General notes: hydrocarbon solvents are flammable and toxic and should be used in a well-ventilated area. Wash your hands carefully after using. Don't eat or drink while using them. Beware of flammable residues! Dispose of cloths safety. Don't put used solvent down the drain.

(Sorry, my safety-geek persona has emerged.)

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:

... "mineral turpentine" ... might be what North Americans call "mineral spirits" and the UK "white spirit"...

But it's not. I found an MSDS for a product that contains both as ingredients.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Acetone works better though.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bumping this back up to the top prior to adding the posts from the latest rogue Incense thread to it.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

From the Incense thread started in Purgatory:

quote:
Original Post by Custard123 on 29 June, 2004 19:27

What was the point of the incense in the OT?
Was there one other than it smelling nice (and seeming to be something done as part of worshipping God)?

What do people do with it today and why?

quote:
posted by Madake on 29 June, 2004 19:40

wasn't it a symbol of the prayers going to God?

quote:
posted by Father Gregory on 29 June, 2004 19:41

Dear Custard123

The primary meanings are sacrifice, prayer and the veneration of God. There is a huge amount of biblical material about this.

You could start here with the Torrey reference ...

Torrey - Incense

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory

quote:
posted by CorgiGreta on 29 June, 2004 21:03

Besides the meanings cited by Fr. Gregory, incense is one of many devices (can't think of a better word) for creating an atmosphere far removed from the profane. Like special vestments, sacred art, ecclesiastical architecture, and liturgical music, incense helps to create the sights, the scents and the sounds of a heavenly space.

Greta

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Continuing the posts from the Purg thread:

quote:
posted by Vikki Pollard on 29 June, 2004 22:04

Incense is wonderful. Unfortunately I'm really allergic to it and can't go to my local church because I can't breathe in there. [Frown]

You see, Father G, God must want SOME of us not to be Orthodox. [Biased]

quote:
posted by Ultraspike on 30 June, 2004 00:23

It also served a practical purpose of fumigating the place when the unwashed masses used to huddle there, esp. in cathedrals.

But I believe it was first used in the Temple sacrifices, in the Bible anyway. It purified the air there also as well as sending an offering to God.

quote:
posted by Moo on 30 June, 2004 00:50

I think that in the Middle East, incense has been around for thousands of years.

I assume it was used in worship because people wanted to offer something good to God.

Moo

quote:
posted by Anselm on 30 June, 2004 01:45

My 2cents worth
Given the large quantity of slaughtered animals and that was thrown around the temple, the incense would have acted nicely as a deoderant. Indeed there was a special incense/aroma for the temple incense - the temple would have had a distinctive smell. Seeking to reproduce the aroma was a serious offence IIRC.

The smoke from the incense may have also symbolised the presence of the glory of God which had on previous occasions presented iteself as a cloud.

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Why not add all the replies?

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Yet more posts:

quote:
posted by Sir George Grey on 30 June, 2004 01:49

With Anselm's post in mind, someone definately needs to write a high-church liturgy for use in places such as Sydney, Cape Town or Johannesburg, or anywhere else where people like putting large pieces of meat on the barbecue.

quote:
posted by Ultraspike on 30 June, 2004 01:54

Frankincense and beef! The newer rite is here! [Yipee]

quote:
posted by Sir George Grey on 30 June, 2004
02:17

The beef is here.

Its savour is with us.

Lift up your forks.

We lift them unto the beef

Let us give thanks for this tender, juicy steak.

It is meat, and right so to do.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

And more....

quote:
HangerQueen on 30 June, 2004 02:23

Incense gives me a slamming headache. I remember going to an evening service once when I was a kid. They had this huge censer belching out fumes of incense. I thought my head was going to explode.

Guess it's low church for me! [Big Grin]

quote:
posted by Frisbeetarian on 30 June, 2004 02:38

In Wicca, especially the "fluffy" kind, the trailing smoke is supposed to carry messages up to the God and Goddess, especially when a ritual is being done in the open air. Probably does the same thing in Christian symbolism.

quote:
posted by The Dumb Acolyte on 30 June, 2004 05:45

quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
What do people do with it today...?

Some of the why has been addressed. Perhaps it is helpful to natter on describing some of the what and the when.

Blessed incense is used together with blessed water and prayers to hallow and set objects apart. So, new vestments, rosaries, chalices, new church buildings, homes, candles, what have you, are all blessed with water, incense, and prayers.

It is also used to proceed solemn processions, inside or outside. At the station of a procession , the object of the station (Lady statue, font, rood, west doors, effigy of the patron) is incensed. At a procession of the Most Blessed Sacrament, especial care is used to honor It with incense immediately in It's path.

Anglocatholics generally use incense at the mass at these times:

• at the entrance preceding the processional cross
  • after the celebrant has kissed the altar, he incenses the altar cross, the altar, and the relics, if any
  • the deacon then incenses the celebrant
  • the thurifer leads the gospel procession, in places that have one (most)
  • the deacon incenses the gospel book before he reads from it
  • the thurifer and torchbearers lead the Gifts of bread and wine to the altar in the Offertory Procession
  • the celebrant incenses the gifts and altar and himself is again incensed by the deacon, who also incenses the choir clergy, if any, and the subdeacon
  • the thurifer incenses the rest of the sanctuary party, the choir, and finally the people
  • the thurifer incenses the host and the chalice when they are elevated after the words of institution and again at the words 'by whom and with whom..."

Which is to say: A lot. But then, perhaps, a friend from the East will confirm or deny my belief that in their rites the thurible is rarely just hanging around in the altar.

At the rite of Benediction, the Most Blessed Sacrament is incensed during the blessing with It in the monstrance.

The above assumes there is no bishop loitering about the sanctuary. In addition, another thread discusses the use of incense at Solemn Matins and Solemn Evensong.

The Paschal Candle has five incense grains, for the Five Holy Wounds, set into it. The grains themselves are sprinkled and incensed before being placed. Then the assembly is sprinkled and incensed again.

Together with prayers, incense is used to hallow baptismal water. The East uses great clouds of it during the Great Blessing of the Waters at Holy Theophany and for the festal icon, incensed from the four cardinal points, on its feast day.

Enterprising thurifers will use incense during Solemn Te Deums to attempt to obscure from view any portion of the chancel from the west end.

And another word about the why. While we post-moderns may squirm at the thought, the church still teaches the apotropaic power of holy things: that blessed objects, and especially blessed water, blessed candles and their light, and blessed incense, can drive away demons.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

...still more...

quote:
posted by Mousethief on 30 June, 2004 05:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey.:
Let us give thanks for this tender, juicy steak.

It is meat, and right so to do.

That's pretty funny, Sir GG!

[ 30. June 2004, 05:49: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------
Reader Alexis

quote:
posted by Duo Seraphim on 30 June, 2004 06:22

Hosting

Seems like a perfectly good Mystery Worship thread going to waste.

And with a single swing of the thurible in three directions to the congregation, it was sent to its natural habitat...

Duo Seraphim, Purgatory Host

[ 30. June 2004, 06:22: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
Duo Seraphim

quote:
posted by Norman the Organ on 30 June, 2004 08:47

quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:

* the celebrant ... is again incensed by the deacon, who also incenses the choir clergy, if any, and the subdeacon

Not a popular guy then, this deacon - what does he keep doing wrong?

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

quote:
posted by Custard123 on 30 June, 2004 09:03

thanks very much everyone for your helpful thoughts, though the thread does seem to have been killed off by transplatation to MW

or maybe it had just run its course anyway

[ 30. June 2004, 09:03: Message edited by: Custard123 ]

quote:
posted by Sir George Grey. on 30 June, 2004 09:41

Well, I'll put my two cents worth in anyway.

To be frank I'm not as well up on the theology of incense as some. My understanding is that it represents the prayers of the assembled church.

For the most part, for me I find it a helpful aid to worship as one might with songs, silence, candles etc.

In NZ it's being rediscovered in some charismatic/evangelical circles which is interesting.

(and much to be applauded IMHO [Big Grin] )

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

...and now for the final batch!

quote:
posted by Charles Read on 30 June, 2004 09:43

A priest friend often remarks:

"I tell people to get used to the smell of incense because in the afterlife there are only two smells - incense and brimstone".

quote:
posted by Ultraspike on 30 June, 2004 12:00

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
A priest friend often remarks:

"I tell people to get used to the smell of incense because in the afterlife there are only two smells - incense and brimstone".

There's a good combo I hadn't thought of. Where does one get brimstone? Perhaps we could use it on All Souls Day. [Big Grin]
quote:
posted by Adeodatus on 30 June, 2004 13:49

Maybe the thread has slowed down now that it's in MW because for a lot of us down here, smoke just isn't much of an issue. Now, heating the charcoal just right to that orangey glow, and getting the incense grains just the right size so they do burn properly but don't all go up at once ... they're issues!

Of course, MWers will know what I'd say to the "why do we do it" of incense .....

It's liturgy. You Just Do It.

quote:
posted by Saint Chad on 30 June, 2004 14:42

quote:
Originally posted by Vikki Pollard:
You see, Father G, God must want SOME of us not to be Orthodox.

Oh dear! I'm not Orthodox, I'd better stop using incense. [Eek!]

quote:
Frisbeetarian posted:
In Wicca, especially the "fluffy" kind, the trailing smoke is supposed to carry messages up to the God and Goddess, especially when a ritual is being done in the open air. Probably does the same thing in Christian symbolism.

In Christian ceremonial the incense doesn't actually carry the prayers, it represents them. In some Canons of the Mass we ask angels to do the carrying!

And hear, hear, Adeodatus!

[ 30. June 2004, 14:43: Message edited by: Saint Chad ]

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

That was a lot of copying and code edits. If I botched anything up or missed a post, let me know.
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did Saint Chad really accuse himself of being a heretic?
quote:
Oh dear! I'm not Orthodox

Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016