homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Who kisses the Gospel? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Who kisses the Gospel?
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "deacon" in "cardinal deacon" has as much to do with genu-wine deacons as the "cat" in "cattle" has to do with felines.

Well, not quite, but kind of, IYSWIM.

Have I just confused the matter further?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Various liturgical rites and uses have seen them worn by different people: deacons, subdeacons, crucifers, and thurifers have all worn them liturgically.

Somewhere I have a photo of a very fetching thurifer in a lovely tunicle.

( [Waterworks] )

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
The "deacon" in "cardinal deacon" has as much to do with genu-wine deacons as the "cat" in "cattle" has to do with felines.

Well, not quite, but kind of, IYSWIM.

Anymore, that is the case, but historically weren't they really, truly deacons of the Diocese of Rome?

The use of dalmatics on Cardinal-Deacons (who are nowadays upper-echelon titular archbishops) is just one of those quaint little RC practices that makes RCism ever so charming. Another one I love is when a priest makes fanciful "dove wings" with his hands when he is praying the epiclesis. (They don't all do this; one must watch closely.) I have yet to see a priest flap those wings into place above the sacred elements, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens somewhere in the world. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
the current legislation (applicable only to the Ordinary Form) which appears to forbid priests from vesting (and acting) as deacons is arbitrary and inconsistent.

So?

Catholics are bound by their rules, arbitrary or not.

Anglicans need not be bound by these rules, but are of coure free to adapt them insofar as they are not incompatible with their own rites (and of course some Anglicans discard even that caveat. Talk about arbitrary).

I've never understood why Anglo-Catholics either rigidly adhere to rules not their own (see 'we don't do that after Vat II' above) or else carp on about how the rules they are not bound to are uncongenial.

It might remind us of the wisdom of the Prayer Book

quote:
Yet, because there is no remedy, but that of necessity there must be some Rules; therefore certain Rules are here set forth; which, as they are few in number, so they are plain and easy to be understood.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Various liturgical rites and uses have seen them worn by different people: deacons, subdeacons, crucifers, and thurifers have all worn them liturgically.

Somewhere I have a photo of a very fetching thurifer in a lovely tunicle.

( [Waterworks] )

Bl Percy writes that, in cathedrals and large parish churches, it is 'probably' not without precedent for all servers to wear tunicles. This is so obviously an aside, though, that I don't think it can be taken as a recommendation.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah - that explains why S. Mary Magdalen, Coventry have such a practice. I'd not come across that line! (Not that they're particularly large.)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Mountain Man
Shipmate
# 5115

- Posted      Profile for Mountain Man   Author's homepage   Email Mountain Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Ah - that explains why S. Mary Magdalen, Coventry have such a practice. I'd not come across that line!

Only on major festivals.

quote:
(Not that they're particularly large.
Not particularly!

Interestingly the servers at Coventry Cathedral also wear tunicles.

--------------------
Life is a mountain not a beach!

Me, My Blog, My Work

Posts: 320 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. I'd forgotten about Coventry's tunicles. Is that all the time or just on festivals?

Also, to keep this in Coventry for the moment (the birthplace of many fine censers...), is the Sunday Eucharist a three sacred minister jobby? If so, what do they wear? (To keep it on track, is the Gospel always read by an ordained person and do they kiss it?)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Mountain Man
Shipmate
# 5115

- Posted      Profile for Mountain Man   Author's homepage   Email Mountain Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Right. I'd forgotten about Coventry's tunicles. Is that all the time or just on festivals?

All the time

quote:

Also, to keep this in Coventry for the moment (the birthplace of many fine censers...), is the Sunday Eucharist a three sacred minister jobby?

It is indeed.

quote:

If so, what do they wear?

Chasuble, Dalmaltic and Tunicle. The deacon and subdeacon (if ordained) wear the stoles deaconwise.

quote:
(To keep it on track, is the Gospel always read by an ordained person and do they kiss it?)

Most of the time it is read by someone ordained, but on occasion lay people have read it. Most people don't kiss it, but I would not be surprised the the Precentor did. I have never noticed!

[ 10. July 2009, 18:08: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

--------------------
Life is a mountain not a beach!

Me, My Blog, My Work

Posts: 320 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only priest at our place who kisses the Book used to be Catholic.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016