homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Papal Audience (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Papal Audience
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NatDogg:
Indeed! Elizabeth II cut a wonderful figure as well. Ah, those were the days. . .

Every inch a queen.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Them's the breaks.

Never mind,most of us Romans don't either.

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by multipara:

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Dowager Queen Fabiola of Belgium at a Papal Mass....

Is it just me, or does it seem like Her Majesty is a tad unfamiliar with her missalette?
It looks to me like she's got a bodice-ripper type book hidden in its cover. She's just too interested for it to be a missalette.
[Snigger]

Not that particular lady; she and her late husband Baudouin were THE pious royal couple. She's getting on a bit and might need to peer through the specs.

The rest of the congo don't appear to be terribly interested...

Yeah. I'll take aside the dude standing behind her in the 11:00 position and teach him how to present himself in church.

[Axe murder]

[ 13. July 2009, 13:32: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Irrespective of the respect with which one may view the Holy See and the Successor of Peter, the idea of court dress for zee laydeez and the pope granting "audiences" is laughably and appallingly archaic. The pope can't at once hold himself out as a head of state and as a bishop who is servant of the servants of God, and then grant "audiences" like some monarch with a court that includes Ladies appearing in fancy dress.

At the end of the day, the whole pretence is just a little, well...

[Projectile] -making.

I don't think it's a pretence at all. It's quite legitimate. The Holy See is the inheritor of centuries of continuous history and tradition. In that respect it's less open to accusations of pretense than non-RC churches that adopt early 20th c. RC worship and practices.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're comparing apples to oranges, Pancho. I'm not talking about liturgical practice, but rather the pretences surrounding the monarchial aspects of the papacy and papal court. They're past their sell-by date. The pope would do well to behave as a modern head of state rather than a theocratic monarch of the type that have otherwise long since passed from the scene.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who says they're past their sell date? It's fine it it makes you feel uncomfortable but I don't feel uncomfortable with it nor do I sense a widespread discomfort among the hoi polloi either (writing as one of the hoi polloi ). He is a head of state. He the head of a hierarchy. He does hold a unique office. In the past 40 years none of the remaining ceremonial seems to have gotten in the way of the Pope's job as far as I can tell.

I don't think the ceremonial surrounding the Queen of England is past it's sell date either, or around the King of Spain. I doubt the ceremony and protocol arround the Dalai Lama is that "up-to-date" either.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

At St Peter' s Basilica such eminent ladies would be expected to observe the below-knee length skirt/sleeves to the elbow/head covering rule that is still enforced for any female who puts her nose around the door there, whether for mass or not.

m

How long since you've been to St. Peter's? This is the dress code I remember -- no mention of hats.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
dress code

Is it possible to get a mantilla in those colours?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Chad:
quote:
dress code

Not sure. No doubt it is possible to get a leotard in that... erm... hue... but I'm not sure I'd want to try to gain entry to the Vatican whilst wearing it (says he, fondly remembering the shenanigans that he last visit to the Holy See entailed [Big Grin] [Paranoid] )

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1975, Hart and another 34 years would be too soon.

You arenot wrong re hats, but a head covering does give some cachet to the would-be pious femme-unless it happens to be a hijab or a gypsy scarf-the Italians don't care for either!

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, burkha & hijab would completely fit the dress code for a private audience.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

I suspect that a burkha would be considered impolite, since it is outdoor dress for pious ladies whose husbands would not be allowing them to doff it once inside.

The hijab is quite another matter as it can be combined with anything from a full overcoat to jeans and long-sleeved T shirt (One sees all manner of variations in Sinny)

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges, Pancho. I'm not talking about liturgical practice, but rather the pretences surrounding the monarchial aspects of the papacy and papal court. They're past their sell-by date. The pope would do well to behave as a modern head of state rather than a theocratic monarch of the type that have otherwise long since passed from the scene.

But is this simply an American and (I assume) a republican speaking? The Pope is a head of state, and the Vatican City is a monarchy, albeit an elective one, so I would expect to see some monarchical practices that visitors are expected to observe. In the same way people attending a state banquet at Buckingham Palace are expected to wear white tie, even it it's not their practice at home.

[ 14. July 2009, 16:00: Message edited by: Pre-cambrian ]

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
But is this simply an American and (I assume) a republican speaking? The Pope is a head of state, and the Vatican City is a monarchy, albeit an elective one, so I would expect to see some monarchical practices that visitors are expected to observe. In the same way people attending a state banquet at Buckingham Palace are expected to wear white tie, even it it's not their practice at home.

A pope is not going to be treated as a monarch by many republicans until he starts wearing once again the symbols of the monarchy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
quote:
dress code

Not sure. No doubt it is possible to get a leotard in that... erm... hue... but I'm not sure I'd want to try to gain entry to the Vatican whilst wearing it (says he, fondly remembering the shenanigans that he last visit to the Holy See entailed [Big Grin] [Paranoid] )
I don't know, the whole thing makes me hope one day I'll be invited to a private audience with whomever is warming the Chair of St. Peter so I can wear a purple sateen pantsuit.

Notice that it's rarely the Pope getting cranky, it's usually some bureaucrat or publicity hound.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
A pope is not going to be treated as a monarch by many republicans until he starts wearing once again the symbols of the monarchy. [Big Grin]

A riding in the appropriate papal vehicle of choice !
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The POTUS gives white tie dinners as well, but the laydeez don't show up as though dressed either for first communion or like Spanish widows in mourning! Really, though, I'm just being petulant. However, the female dress for these papal audiences and other gala events does impress me as just a wee bit sexist in A.D. 2009.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

But since the Pope is presented as being, not only a successor of the apostles, but as the exclusive "Vicar of Christ on earth", should perhaps he not call to mind that the one of whom he is considered to be the vicar clearly told Pilate, "My kingdom is not of this world."

Combining the ecclesial role with the earthly political role is horrible, I think, and has led to a lot of grief and manifestly un-Christian behaviour.

PS: The post isnt a reply to pre-cambrian. I just quoted it to help establish context.

[ 14. July 2009, 17:47: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The pope can't at once hold himself out as a head of state and as a bishop who is servant of the servants of God

But, like it or not, he is both of those things.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:
The pope can't at once hold himself out as a head of state and as a bishop who is servant of the servants of God

But, like it or not, he is both of those things.
The last prince-bishop? Where have they all gone?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
The POTUS gives white tie dinners as well, but the laydeez don't show up as though dressed either for first communion or like Spanish widows in mourning!

Don't forget Mexican grandmothers. Is wearing a mantilla for the Pope all that different than dressing like an English gentleman of a certain era for the President of the United States? Maybe you're just used to white tie and not mantillas. Sort of like Americans who believe they speak English without an accent.

quote:
However, the female dress for these papal audiences and other gala events does impress me as just a wee bit sexist in A.D. 2009.
What's a wee bit sexist about a mantilla?

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:
However, the female dress for these papal audiences and other gala events does impress me as just a wee bit sexist in A.D. 2009.

What's a wee bit sexist about a mantilla? [/QB]
That the President can meet the Pope bareheaded but his lady wife has to cover up her head 'cause she has girly parts.

Purple sateen pantsuit. And I'd dye my hair to match, it would cascade in lavendar curls down my back...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
What's a wee bit sexist about a mantilla?

That the President can meet the Pope bareheaded but his lady wife has to cover up her head 'cause she has girly parts.

And the President is probably expected to wear a strip of silk around his neck that women aren't expected to wear. I'm not trying to pick a fight over this but Papal Visits are a kind of ritual act so ritual dress doesn't surprise or bother me. It seems like people are hinting that asking lady to wear the mantilla is like asking her to wear the burqa and I think that's a little extreme.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Use of the sedia is not confined to the Pope. Remeber the Hogarth Chairing the Candidate , surely very similar to chairing the newly elected Pope to the fire?

As a joke, I've just shown the photos of royal ladies en blanc to the solicitor instructing me today, as he's from one of the RC firms (and gay). He likes Fabiola and Sofia; as far as La Luxembourg is concerned, he said the photo makes her look rather dumpy and dowdy, dressed in Berlin rather than Paris or Rome. He's a very good lawyer........

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Note that even woman members of the Christian and Missionary Alliance wear the appropriate burqah. I suspect that, given Mrs Harper's ailurophilia, she and His Holiness were able to exchange cat maintenance tips.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's an old-fashioned social custom that women wear hats, but it's rude for a man to remain covered: men doff their hats as a sign of respect.

A mantilla is just a lacy version of a hat.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Spiff, the purple pantsuit should do fine as long as the jacket covers your butt. In fact the shalwar kameez would be prefect, since pants suits are just a bit too redolent of office attire.

Just to gild the lily, a purple fascinator would be just the trick, complete with nose veil.

However, remember that purple is not only the feminist colour but also that of penitents, so HH might get the impression that you've come to be shriven;get the laundry list ready!

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

TT: mantilla is most definitely not alacy version of a hat.

Hats can be useful : to keep one's head warm, keep off the sun, hide contraband or assist in a disguise. The mantilla does none of the above.

It was one of the happier days of my convent girl life back in 1967 when the metre-square white veils (which were sewn onto an elastic band to keep them on our heads) and which we wore on sundays and feast days to mass where finally canned. The black net triangles we wore on ordinary days and the replacement white mantillas got the chop a couple of years later-the year I finished school.

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whatever you say.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TT: mantilla is most definitely not alacy version of a hat.

Hats can be useful : to keep one's head warm, keep off the sun, hide contraband or assist in a disguise. The mantilla does none of the above.

m

But according to that definition neither is a kippah/yarmulke a hat, which seems at least counter-intuitive. Plus such a definition ignores the ceremonial function - a crown isn't really very useful for any of the thing listed above but I would argue that it is still a hat.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

I'd argue that not only is a crown not a hat, but that even a kippah has its uses. Orthodox Jewish men often keep their crowns very closely shorn (as opposed to the luxuriant earlocks sported by the beardless boys and the beards of those old enough to grow them). A kippah would keep the crown warm in the frightful Eastern European winters. I would not mind betting that those Askenazim took the idea from the Gentile clergy of the time (not that any would admit to doing as much), who often wore such things to keep their tonsured heads warm.

m

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So are the non-Catholic women dressing in that way just to demonstrate respect to their host?

I mean, the Pope knows that Camilla and the Queen et al aren't Roman Catholics so presumably he's no expectation that they dress as if they are Roman Catholic women? And therefore, isn't he a bit surprized that they appear, looking as if they are? [Confused]

Wouldn't he much rather they dress as they would at a similar religious 'do' in their own Church and country? I can't imagine any sensible person espec. her maj, looking anything less than respectable in whatever she chose to wear in the company of a religious leader? So why does she need to look Roman Catholic when meeting someone who knows she's not?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
So are the non-Catholic women dressing in that way just to demonstrate respect to their host?

I mean, the Pope knows that Camilla and the Queen et al aren't Roman Catholics so presumably he's no expectation that they dress as if they are Roman Catholic women? And therefore, isn't he a bit surprized that they appear, looking as if they are? [Confused]

Wouldn't he much rather they dress as they would at a similar religious 'do' in their own Church and country? I can't imagine any sensible person espec. her maj, looking anything less than respectable in whatever she chose to wear in the company of a religious leader? So why does she need to look Roman Catholic when meeting someone who knows she's not?

It's not as if she doesn't have plenty of other hats she could wear. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I mean, the Pope knows that Camilla and the Queen et al aren't Roman Catholics so presumably he's no expectation that they dress as if they are Roman Catholic women? And therefore, isn't he a bit surprized that they appear, looking as if they are?

I think it's not a 'Catholic' thing but a 'Vatican Court' thing. There's an interesting article in the Boston Globe which nevertheless doesn't quite get down to the reason for it.

However, I am inclined to agree with TT that the mantilla is just a hat, after seeing the picture of HMQ in the linked article.

ETA: don't miss the comments in the linked BG piece. A few of them are corkers.

[ 15. July 2009, 16:51: Message edited by: Hooker's Trick ]

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

I think you've got it in one HT. There is all variety of arcane ceremonial attached to all diplomatic and state affairs. There is as much ceremonial and rules of behaviour surrounding the Head of State as there is surrounding the papacy.

When HMQ or POTUS visit the Pope, they are not engaging in a religious act but in a diplomatic one (albeit with the head of a religious body). Court rules, not religious custom, are in play.

(I haven't read the article to which you linked, but look forward to doing so later).

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

I'm going to respectfully disagree a bit with multipara on the usefulness of the mantilla. It kept dust and smoke out of grandmother's hair as she did her housework and it does give a bit of shade when out in the sun while being lighter than the rebozo or other kinds of shawls. Folded or twisted a certain way it becomes what my mother calls a yagual which is what people in the ancestral village called a type of cushion for carrying loads on the head like baskets of laundry.

--------------------

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
[...] Court rules, not religious custom, are in play.

I agree with TT. From a secular perspective this is a diplomatic rather than a religious act - the Pope is, after all, a Head of State. As such, Court Rules apply, in this case, those relating to the Vatican - if this were the UK, then the conventions surrounding the Court of St. James would apply. (Diplomacy is about convention and the observation of conventions*, to the outsiders some Diplomatic conventions can seem quite obscure.)

* It may be said in flowery, but it does help prevent unintentional insult. (When von Ribbentrop was German Ambassador to the Court of St. James's, he issued an invite to a reception at the Embassy. This he did in German (rather than in French, as convention demanded). Given the insult and as convention had been broken, each mission RSVP'd in their own language.

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree a bit with multipara on the usefulness of the mantilla. It kept dust and smoke out of grandmother's hair as she did her housework and it does give a bit of shade when out in the sun while being lighter than the rebozo or other kinds of shawls. Folded or twisted a certain way it becomes what my mother calls a yagual which is what people in the ancestral village called a type of cushion for carrying loads on the head like baskets of laundry.

The matilla, like the hijab and the kaffiah has practical use in the climate/circumstances in which it originated.

However requiring women to cover their heads, wear long sleeves, wear only black or white etc are basically the requirement to wear 'modest' dress.

Now when was the last time you heard of a man being required to dress modestly - as opposed to smartly ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
I think it's not a 'Catholic' thing but a 'Vatican Court' thing. There's an interesting article in the Boston Globe which nevertheless doesn't quite get down to the reason for it.

It's quite clear from the photos in that article who's wearing the most lace - from the Papal pecs down!

quote:
Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kavimieras
The POTUS gives white tie dinners as well, but the laydeez don't show up as though dressed either for first communion or like Spanish widows in mourning!

Of course not. You can't insist on Court Dress where there is no Court, can you? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kavimieras

Of course not. You can't insist on Court Dress where there is no Court, can you? [Big Grin]
Just this type of Court.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Now when was the last time you heard of a man being required to dress modestly - as opposed to smartly ?

St Peter's. Hart linked to it above, but the Vatican has rules for what one may wear -- no shorts or sleeveless tops for men.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
The matilla, like the hijab and the kaffiah has practical use in the climate/circumstances in which it originated.

However requiring women to cover their heads, wear long sleeves, wear only black or white etc are basically the requirement to wear 'modest' dress.

Hooker's Trick beat me to it but the Vatican has that requirement. I've heard of other places in Italy that have similar dress codes for entering churches.There are frequent arguments on Catholic messageboards over dressing for church, much of it over modesty applying to men (tanktops, shorts, sandals, etc.). Lot's of business in California, especially near the beach, have signs that say "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service". The "no shirt" is part pretty much aimed at men.

My parish priest will ask men to remove their hats during mass. I had a female teacher in elementary school who would not allow boys to wear hats indoors. If she saw someone wearing a basball hat in class she would walk over and remove it herself.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I had a female teacher in elementary school who would not allow boys to wear hats indoors. If she saw someone wearing a basball hat in class she would walk over and remove it herself.

Around here, they all did that. It was quite annoying to not be able to wear my hat to my locker in the morning. Never in my 13 years of government schooling was I allowed to wear a hat in the building.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No hint of an answer to why all black for women, yet. Surely, surely, someone somewhere has an idea?

Also, does anyone know when white tie for men changed to business suit and tie?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

I don't know why black for women but maybe for reasons similar to why men wear dark suits to important meetings, or why men's formalwear is black ( and white). Maybe dark colors imply the occasion is a serious one.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

quote:
It would be interesting to see what ++KJSchori would wear to visit the pope.

Not body armour as I thought.

She's disguised herself as one of the Swiss Guard!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

LORD HGAVE MERCY!!!

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
No hint of an answer to why all black for women, yet. Surely, surely, someone somewhere has an idea?

Also, does anyone know when white tie for men changed to business suit and tie?

I believe that Paul VI accepted business suit for informal meetings & briefings. Under J2P2, most of the photographs I saw of him and laymen had them in suit & tie, white tie & decorations coming out only for more official events.

Diplomatic dress is much less formal these days-- most of my diplo/state ceremonial acquaintances in Ottawa do not even have white tie. The only people I have seen in Ottawa in morning dress are the GG's spouse, M. Lafond, the UK High Commissioner and the Spanish Ambassador.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

It's not as if she doesn't have plenty of other hats she could wear. [Roll Eyes]
Well. Yes. That was partly my point. She does have plenty of hats that are perfectly respectable for visiting world and religious leaders in. So I'm not sure what the [Roll Eyes] are for.

For the other repliers: I can understand the diplomatic court thing. I've no problem with the idea itself, anyway. It just seemed to me to be unnecessary to dress in that way if it was only about Catholic religious tradition - and I don't mean that derogatively. But it's clearly more than that.

So it makes sense to follow the 'rules'; you know when in Rome...!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016