homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Wycliffe Hall in trouble (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Wycliffe Hall in trouble
innocent(ish)
Shipmate
# 12691

- Posted      Profile for innocent(ish)   Email innocent(ish)   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
I just noticed that the Wycliffe website mentions that the four trustees of Wycliffe are also trustees of Ridley - and presumably will be involved in the appointment of their new principal too?

<famous last words>

As Trustees they will be involved, but having watched the difficulties at Wycliffe, I don't imagine they'll repeat the same mistake.

</famous last words>

--------------------
"Christianity has become part of the furniture ... like a grand piano nobody plays any longer.I want the dust to be taken off and people to play music." Archbishop John Sentamu

Posts: 109 | From: Rochester | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

- Posted      Profile for Jaybee         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW, to be pedantic the senior management team includes at least one lay woman, and I think also now includes the aforementioned Rev Jenni Williams.
I've been doing some detective work. It is interesting if you look on the Wycliffe website you will see that Andrew Athestone is 'Tutor in Doctrine and Latimer Fellow'. If you google Latimer Trust you will find what the dotrine is that he teaches, especially
quote:
We also affirm that God created male and female differently, in order for them to be complementary to each other. This complementarity is specially to be seen in the marriage relationship and in the roles given to men and women in the family of the church...Furthermore, within the church there is a divinely appointed order in which headship roles are given to the male
Then, behold, as you flick through the rest of the Latimer Trust site, you find, yes, Simon Vibert, who apparently is a Trustee!

It is looking a bit incestuous at Wycliffe Hall.
So I think Sean D's optimism is premature. It really doesn't matter how many 'benign women' are on the management team of an outfit, if this is the stated doctrine position of the male leaders, how effective are the women going to be? Well they obviously either had no say in these appointments or they went along with them. Either way, it wouldn't encourage me if I was a woman looking for a college. (I'd also want to know why the women I really trusted had been shown the door!)

BTW - Having women as part of the wallpaper but with no say in the way things go has always been one of the ways repressive structures get away with it.

Posts: 18 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How reliable this is I cannot tell (always take Wiki with a pinch of salt) but it seems the Goddards are leaving and that Student numbers are down a bit.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The edit appears to originate in Oxford from a Wycliffe Hall computer
quote:
IP Address : 163.1.89.104 [ wycl104.wycliffe.ox.ac.uk ]
ISP : Oxford University
Organization : Oxford University
City : Oxford, K2 -
Latitude : 51°75'00" North
Longitude : 1°25'00" West

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess that makes it more likely to be accurate. I suspect the dropping in student numbers is to be expected the but it only becomes a major issue if it lasts more than one year. I can only hope that the departure of the Goddards has been managed correctly or wycliffe could find itself in the news again.

[ 04. May 2008, 07:31: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
I can only hope that the departure of the Goddards has been managed correctly or wycliffe could find itself in the news again.

Isn't Wycliffe Hall likely to find itself in the news again anyway? I thought Elaine Storkey's complaint was supposed to be heard before a tribunal in a month or so.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's in June, so I understand.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Turnbull:
"He acknowledged students' concerns that the Goddards be given an appropriate farewell, but indicated that it was in the Goddards' hands whether this would be possible or not."

Am I right in understanding that this suggests that a couple who have given many years faithful service to WH will have to organise their own leaving party?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A more cynical person (ie me) would say that Turnbull will permit a leaving party if the Goddards promise not to say anything about why they're having to have the party in the first place...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you want a leaving party in their situation?

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

quote:
would you want a leaving party in their situation?

I have been told that they do because it is organised by the students who don't want their departure just to be ignored, and it is this week.

On another Wycliffe note: can anybody tell me whether the Colin Matthews who is the new head of BAA/ Terminal 5 who has just sacked his chief exec is the same Colin Matthews who is trustee of wycliffe Hall that sacked Andrew Goddard, Elaine Storkey and Liz Goddard?

If he is it might explain how Turnbull was able to get away with his sacking policy!

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
[QUOTE]On another Wycliffe note: can anybody tell me whether the Colin Matthews who is the new head of BAA/ Terminal 5 who has just sacked his chief exec is the same Colin Matthews who is trustee of wycliffe Hall that sacked Andrew Goddard, Elaine Storkey and Liz Goddard?

If he is it might explain how Turnbull was able to get away with his sacking policy!

Blimey, I just looked and it's not impossible. Here is the BAA chap profiled in his previous job, presiding over a right mess at Severn Trent water

quote:
Such problems upset a man [Colin Matthews] whose corporate philosophy is based on integrity. "I think business ethics is tremendously important," says Matthews. His dilemma is greater because of the deep religious beliefs he says drive him. "Being a Christian is part of how I think of people doing the right things for the company," he explains. "In business, having a clear sense of Christian ethics is important."

Philip Fletcher, Ofwat's chairman, is a lay preacher with equally strong beliefs. Both live in south London, attend local churches and commute to offices in Birmingham. "He is a known Christian," Matthews says of his regulator. "We have acknowledged that we both share an interest." There has been no dialogue on the floods though and, so far, no shared compartment on the train to and from New Street.

They still might not be the same Colin Matthews, but Mr BAA does indeed sound like the right sort...

cheers,
L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cantiones Sacrae
Shipmate
# 12774

- Posted      Profile for Cantiones Sacrae   Email Cantiones Sacrae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
quote:
Blimey, I just looked and it's not impossible. Here is the BAA chap profiled in his previous job, presiding over a right mess at Severn Trent water

[QUOTE] Such problems upset a man [Colin Matthews] whose corporate philosophy is based on integrity. "I think business ethics is tremendously important," says Matthews. His dilemma is greater because of the deep religious beliefs he says drive him. "Being a Christian is part of how I think of people doing the right things for the company," he explains. "In business, having a clear sense of Christian ethics is important."

Philip Fletcher, Ofwat's chairman, is a lay preacher with equally strong beliefs. Both live in south London, attend local churches and commute to offices in Birmingham. "He is a known Christian," Matthews says of his regulator. "We have acknowledged that we both share an interest." There has been no dialogue on the floods though and, so far, no shared compartment on the train to and from New Street.

They still might not be the same Colin Matthews, but Mr BAA does indeed sound like the right sort...

cheers,
L.

This sounds like a job for Private Eye. Anybody care to contact them?
Posts: 271 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
badman
Shipmate
# 9634

- Posted      Profile for badman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm assuming that this motion for General Synod was tabled with Wycliffe Hall in mind?

quote:
HR POLICY AND PRACTICE AT THEOLOGICAL COLLEGES AND REGIONAL COURSES

The Revd Hugh Lee (Oxford) to move:

‘That this Synod, believing that the staff disciplinary and grievance procedures and human resources practices of all theological colleges and regional courses approved by the House of Bishops for the training of ordinands should be professional both in their policy framework and in their application, and should conform with the guidelines currently being prepared by DRACSC, request the House of Bishops and Ministry Division:

(a) to initiate an urgent review of the HR policy and practice of all approved training institutions; and

(b) to report back to the House of Bishops and General Synod on the findings of the review, with recommendations as to how and in what circumstances action might be taken to ensure best HR practice. ‘

48 Signatures (February 2008)

However, it hasn't got enough signatures to be debated.
Posts: 429 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

Can someone please confirm what I have heard about the next phase of Elaine Storkey's Employment Tribunal, scheduled for this last week? Having not seen it reported anywhere, I have now been told that some Christian VIP has stepped in and asked Storkey to show pity on the Bishop of Liverpool and adjourn her tribunal. Apparently the careless bishop faces yet another Employment Tribunal and it is beginning to look like a habit. (see Ruth Gledhill's times online column: http://timescolumns.typepad.com/gledhill/2008/06/cofe-cleric-fac.)

I can't think why she should, however, when the bishop showed her no pity in unlawfully dismissing her.

Incidently, the same person also told me that the Colin Matthews, recently appointed head of BAA who fired his chief exec is indeed the same Colin Matthews , Trustee of Wycliffe Hall who fired the Goddards and Storkey.

Wycliffe Hall Trustees seem rather trigger-happy and addicted to sacking. Perhaps its a power-complex?

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've accidentally clipped your URL there Jaybee, the Ruth Gledhill item is here.

cheers,
L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

Thanks, Louise. There are more articles on the James Jones sacking- here is one from the Liverpool Echo

The clergyman who has been sacked has also opened his own website on the tribunal so we can read a blow-by-blow account starting tomorrow.

http://www.liverpooldiocesetribunal.org.uk/

I would still like to know what is happening with the Wycliffe tribunal, and also with the Goddards. Obviously it is no longer confidential so why doesn't someone make it public? I think we have a right to know what has really been happening at (what was) a key Christian institution

Any offers for another blow-by-blow account?

[used UBB code for URL properly to remove over-wide page]

[ 17. June 2008, 06:48: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those worried that Ridley Hall would go the same way as Wycliffe in appointing a new Principal, see here

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
For those worried that Ridley Hall would go the same way as Wycliffe in appointing a new Principal, see here

He's certainly got enough degrees

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He hasn't got that many degrees. PPE is one BA degree not three! The most important letters in that announcement are O.I.C.C.U.
jrrt01
Shipmate
# 11264

- Posted      Profile for jrrt01         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to comment that according to his own website, David Johnston has won his claim of unfair dismissal against the bishop of Liverpool / the Liverpool Diocesan Board of Finance. There are no details yet, but he promises to upload more documents about what went on in the near future.
Posts: 62 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

Has a date been set for the financial settlement? If not, David Johnston could be waiting another six months. I have just been reading Pete's posting of April
quote:
And just to prove that they've learned no lessons whatsoever, Wycliffe are now finding ways to contest the award made against them at the industrial tribunal and refusing to pay up, thus giving m'leaned friends a great deal more income. It makes you want to scream!
Someone has calculated that the Bishop and/or Trustees of Wycliffe Hall have shelled out tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) out in legal fees (who actually pays? You can bet it is not the Reverand Richard Turnbull!). With Andrew and Lis Goddard joining the queue for a payout, along with David Johnston now, the Bishop of Liverpool is looking like one of the C of E's big spenders! Can we afford bishops who don't keep to the law?
(And I have just heard from someone else who says he knows that Elaine Storkey still has not got her money.So much for church and justice....)

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
He hasn't got that many degrees. PPE is one BA degree not three! The most important letters in that announcement are O.I.C.C.U.

I realise that PPE is one, not three.

But I still contend that he has a good helping of degrees(one from Oxford, one from Cambride and an MPhil from Birmingham).

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most clergy in England will have 2 degrees, one in theology and one other. Having a MPhil on top is hardly excessive.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Most clergy in England will have 2 degrees, one in theology and one other. Having a MPhil on top is hardly excessive.

As an ordinand, I am aware of that.

I should never have opened my mouth [Help]

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd have thought that most important is the fact that he used to work for De La Rue. If Ridley get into the same predicament as Wycliffe they can print their own money!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Chad:
quote:

I'd have thought that most important is the fact that he used to work for De La Rue. If Ridley get into the same predicament as Wycliffe they can print their own money!
I misread that as 'Danny La Rue'

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

- Posted      Profile for Scribehunter         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually not having a doctorate could leave him a little under-powered on the degree front - especially in the broader Cambridge context, but also in relation to his own staff.

It is not as if he can make up for that with any significant parish experience.

No disrespect to the man, who no one I know has ever heard of before, but it does seem a rather anonymous appointment.

And wasn't Turnbull also a CoFE bureaucrat before coming to WH?

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nowhere near as prestigious as CICCU or even DICCU [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hang on, Hang on, Hang on. Having only an MPhil instead of a DPhil, will play differently according to circumstances for which it was awarded. historically MPhils are downgrades from DPhils. There can be a number of reasons for downgrade, only one of which is the students ability. I know at least one MPhil, where the reason for the downgrade (serious loss of sight) meant it was more amazing that they got the MPhil than that they did not get a DPhil.

Reasons for downgrade as well as health or students ability can be "withdrawal of funding" or "research topic depth" particularly where towards the end of a second year there is a major publication very closely related to the topic. This either would blow the students own approach out of the water or maybe worse give the results the student was hoping for. In such cases the decision is whether to seek funding for the extra year or go for MPhil as a DPhil is likely to fail.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's recently been a silly immigration change which has changed this, but in the past students at most institutions registered for an MPhil and then upgraded after one or two years to a DPhil or PhD (depending on institution - they are the same thing but one sounds posher).

So it's not necessarily a drastic downgrade - it can be a lack of upgrade, and possibly because the student feels it's not going anywhere, rather than because the department or supervisor insist.

Occasionally students submit a PhD thesis and are awarded an MPhil but that is vanishingly rare.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
DICCU

Talk about onomatopoeia [Razz]

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
DICCU

Ah, what fun we used to have with that name...

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
There's recently been a silly immigration change which has changed this, but in the past students at most institutions registered for an MPhil and then upgraded after one or two years to a DPhil or PhD (depending on institution - they are the same thing but one sounds posher).

So it's not necessarily a drastic downgrade - it can be a lack of upgrade, and possibly because the student feels it's not going anywhere, rather than because the department or supervisor insist.

Occasionally students submit a PhD thesis and are awarded an MPhil but that is vanishingly rare.

It can also happen where a student is doing a research MA and transfers to a Scottish or Oxbridge University where such MAs are not awarded the nearest equivalent research Masters degree is then the MPhil.
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
DICCU

Ah, what fun we used to have with that name...
My uni days were brightened by the fun I had with DICCU..

..just not in a way DICCU would have approved

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

Originally posted by jrrt01
quote:
Just to comment that according to his own website, David Johnston has won his claim of unfair dismissal against the bishop of Liverpool / the Liverpool Diocesan Board of Finance. There are no details yet, but he promises to upload more documents about what went on in the near future.
I've just read the Church press on the bit where Johnston accused the Bishop of sneaking stuff to the newspapers about his 'affair' and the paper later apologised because it was untrue. The article says the diocese refused say whether the Bishop did supply the information. Why wouldn't they just deny it? Because now we're left wondering if a bishop leaks untrue stories to the tabloids about people he doesn't like.

Does anybody remember the details of an article Jonathan Aitken wrote in the Guardian that contained something incendiary about Wycliffe staff who had been complaining to the bishop. The Guardian later apologised and said it was untrue. I can't find any links to this now, but did Aitken also apologise? And who leaked the story to him?

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:

Does anybody remember the details of an article Jonathan Aitken wrote in the Guardian that contained something incendiary about Wycliffe staff who had been complaining to the bishop. The Guardian later apologised and said it was untrue.

A link and another.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The most important letters in that announcement are O.I.C.C.U.

Letters which also appear in the CVs of Tom Wright and Andrew Goddard, among others.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that there is only going to be one new female ordinand at Wycliffe in the new academic year.

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jaybee
Apprentice
# 13611

quote:
I have heard that there is only going to be one new female ordinand at Wycliffe in the new academic year.

That is interesting. I had heard that there were not many new male ordinands, no new undergrads and no new postgrads. I wonder why?
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
quote:

That is interesting. I had heard that there were not many new male ordinands, no new undergrads and no new postgrads. I wonder why?
Because, like me, there all off to Mirfield?? [Biased]

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to respond to a couple of things higher up the thread:

1. An MPhil is generally a research degree in England - replacing the MA by thesis which was what we had bwefore taught MAs became common. Technically, MPhils do not need to contain original research as PhDs do, but do need to be distinctly postgraduate and reseach focussed. My own is on the development of the Daily Office up to the fourth century and kind American friends tell me (and friends who also have MPhils) we might have got doctorates for them in the USA! My MPhil was sufficient guarantee that I could do postgraduate research that it got me accepted as a Durham PhD candidate without the need for references etc..
2. Richard Turnbull was a parish priest prior to becoming Principal of WH

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An MPhil is generally a research degree in England - replacing the MA by thesis which was what we had bwefore taught MAs became common. Technically, MPhils do not need to contain original research as PhDs do, but do need to be distinctly postgraduate and reseach focussed.

We seem to be using MRes for that these days.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite. My Dad did the old style M.A. but I did a fifty fifty for my MSc. The old style M.A. is a substantial piece of research and little or no teaching. I had half a years teaching and half a years research. MRes normally follow the second model but with the added emphasis on Research Methodology in the teaching. MPhil follow the first or are two year degrees, the first you do a M.A. or M.Res the second you do pure research. As PhD students are basically supposed to do a M.Res in their first year, it is easy to see that the M.Phil is often a half-way house.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonm
Shipmate
# 1246

- Posted      Profile for Jonm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
An MPhil is generally a research degree in England - replacing the MA by thesis which was what we had bwefore taught MAs became common. Technically, MPhils do not need to contain original research as PhDs do, but do need to be distinctly postgraduate and reseach focussed.

We seem to be using MRes for that these days.
Will they be covered by the ELQ rules (the new rules which say that the UK govt won't fund degrees to a level equivalent or lower than the student already has *But* ( and not everyone has twigged this yet) research degrees don't count)? If they're counted as research degrees and therefore not covered I would forsee degrees like the MRes/MA/MPhil becoming more popular.

--------------------
"My God, My God, why hast thou accepted me?"---Caedmon's Call

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

Am MPhil is a second degree (i.e. not a first degree...) so you may not get HEFCE money anyway (you get it for first degrees as a rule) - HM Govt is stopping paying for people to do second first degrees. Apart from Foundation Degrees. You can have a second first degree that is a Foundation Degree and HM Gov will pay - quite a few seminaries will go down this route (Cambridge Federation for one...)

Asprin anyone?

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Some recent news from the Fulcrum web site:
quote:
The next stage of the Employment Tribunal proceedings, brought by Dr Elaine Storkey against Wycliffe Hall, is being adjourned and a mediation has been arranged. Everyone involved welcomes the mediation and hopes and prays for complete resolution of all disputes and full restoration of all relationships.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The clergyman who has been sacked has also opened his own website on the tribunal so we can read a blow-by-blow account starting tomorrow.

http://www.liverpooldiocesetribunal.org.uk/

The judgment of the tribunal in his favour is now available on that site. It's very interesting how similar this case seems to be to what we know of the events at Wycliffe. In summary, the tribunal seems to have concluded (and the Liverpool Diocesan Board of Finance couldn't provide evidence to the contrary) that the Bishop tried to damage Mr Johnson with an untrue statement (the tribunal says he lied), sacked him when he complained, then when he was forced to reinstate him, attempted to engineer his dismissal on the grounds that their relationship had broken down!

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

- Posted      Profile for Scribehunter         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew Goddard has been appointed to the staff of Trinity College, Bristol. See here.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Some recent news from the Fulcrum web site:
quote:
The next stage of the Employment Tribunal proceedings, brought by Dr Elaine Storkey against Wycliffe Hall, is being adjourned and a mediation has been arranged. Everyone involved welcomes the mediation and hopes and prays for complete resolution of all disputes and full restoration of all relationships.

Since Elaine Storkey and Wycliffe Hall must have agreed the terms of reference and scope of the mediation, this sounds like very good news.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016