homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha! Was it this one?

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Aha! Was it this one?

Soooo close, but no. This is almost exactly the same thing, only it doesn't have the full mass and I see no vanishing reliquaries. Perhaps Angloid's Protestant Archdeacon has been at work on the website? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:
Aha! Was it this one?

Soooo close, but no. This is almost exactly the same thing, only it doesn't have the full mass and I see no vanishing reliquaries. Perhaps Angloid's Protestant Archdeacon has been at work on the website? [Big Grin]
Picky, picky, picky!

How's about this then?

--------------------
Catholic books

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Picky, picky, picky!

How's about this then?

That's it! 100% for Manipled, plus 5% extra credit for the Absolutions of the Dead at the end of the page. Thanks for looking!

[Smile]

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
quote:
Picky, picky, picky!

How's about this then?

That's it! 100% for Manipled, plus 5% extra credit for the Absolutions of the Dead at the end of the page. Thanks for looking!

[Smile]

All testimonials are gratefully accepted and can be inspected at our head office on request.

That bier is almost frighteningly enormous!

I want one.

(At my funeral, that is.)

--------------------
Catholic books

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those pictures were MW classics.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Picky, picky, picky!

How's about this then?

[Smile]

Not only vanishing reliquaries, but by picture 20 Father has lost his toupée. I suspect the gossiping curates behind him know its whereabouts.

[ 13. July 2008, 20:39: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Not only vanishing reliquaries, but by picture 20 Father has lost his toupée. I suspect the gossiping curates behind him know its whereabouts.

[Killing me]

Maybe he takes it off like a zuchetto at the Great Thanksgiving.

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In picture 10, Father's chasuble has miraculously changed from fiddleback to Gothic. [Yipee]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it is picture 11.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I just picked up a copy of Clement VII for 75p.

It looks like fun!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any experience of ordering from the Anglican Parishes Association? I ordered a book a month ago, and still no sign of it. I sent an email asking if I should be concerned a week and a half ago and received no reply.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Does anyone have any experience of ordering from the Anglican Parishes Association? I ordered a book a month ago, and still no sign of it. I sent an email asking if I should be concerned a week and a half ago and received no reply.

It can take about 4 weeks for the APA to deliver orders within the U.S., so your order may well be on its way. That said, while I appreciate that the APA is entirely run by volunteers, they seem to be rather inept even within the circumstances. They have been working on the ANGLICAN MISSAL reprint for years, with no sign of progress, and have recently resorted to asking Missal parishes to tape up their old copies and hope for the best. If you gave the project over to Lancelot Andrewes Press, or even if you gave Magic Wand and Oblatus the run of a well-equipped office and a week's free time, I guarantee the PDF files would be on the way to LuLu and publication by the end of that week.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Brian, good to know it's not unusual.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently picked up Firmly I Believe and The Sacramental Life, both of which look promising.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

"Some Notes on the Conduct of Public Worship" arrived from the Anglican Parishes Association.

A few days later, I got a parcel from the Convent Society of the Anglican Catholic Church of Canada, containing:

*The Lesser Hours of Prayer: which includes Prime, Terce, Sext, and None, as well as Compline (which I find odd - why not just use the BCP?) and a Midnight Hour.
*Readiness and Decency, Fr Palmer's guide to ceremonial.
*At the Altar of the Lord, the ACCC's bishops' guide for the celebrant at Mass, an adaptation of At the Lord's Table for the Canadian BCP.
*The Liturgy of Holy Week, the authorised Holy Week booklet for the ACCC.

All most edifying. Next I'm hoping to spring for these two publications.

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
The Lesser Hours of Prayer: which includes Prime, Terce, Sext, and None, as well as Compline (which I find odd - why not just use the BCP?) and a Midnight Hour.

The editors included Compline for those Continuers who use classic BCPs with no such provision, like the 1662 and US 1928. You may wish to contact the editors at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Evangelist for info on their volume of Ancient Office Hymns, which is similar to the English Office.
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyMartyr:
I managed to pick up a copy of S. Swithun's Prayer Book for $3 canadian at a random used bookstore, have I found a treasure?? It is quite the devotional manual, thats for sure!

It eventually became A Manual of Catholic Devotion so yes it's rather a treasure.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

TheMightyMartyr
Shipmate
# 11162

- Posted      Profile for TheMightyMartyr   Email TheMightyMartyr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyMartyr:
I managed to pick up a copy of S. Swithun's Prayer Book for $3 canadian at a random used bookstore, have I found a treasure?? It is quite the devotional manual, thats for sure!

It eventually became A Manual of Catholic Devotion so yes it's rather a treasure.

Thurible

I have been trying to find information about it online... but nothing seems to come up about it, and what does seems to talk about parts 1-4. The one I picked up is a little tiny book, and seems to be self contained, and dates from 1934.

I also found "A Communicant's Manual" by B.W. Randolph, D.D, which I found for 7 bucks at another store, and which dates from 1936.

Both were given by priests to parishoners, one on their confirmation by the Lord Bishop of Chelmsford, and the other for reasons unknown... rather interesting though!

--------------------
You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle if you do not pity Jesus in the slum.

Posts: 259 | From: the Land of Ingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMightyMartyr
Shipmate
# 11162

- Posted      Profile for TheMightyMartyr   Email TheMightyMartyr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And sorry to double post, but I've just discovered a link between my copy of S. Swithun's and Horfield Parish Church, which is mentioned on the Affirming Catholic thread... so it was definetly "Full Faith" at one time!!

--------------------
You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle if you do not pity Jesus in the slum.

Posts: 259 | From: the Land of Ingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes it was - then they had a female curate, who has now left.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I resurrect this thread to mention for the benefit of US shipmates that there is a reasonably-priced copy of the Anglican Service Book available currently on eBay, ending in 3 days.

(Did I also mention that I recently picked up a sound copy of E.A.L. Clark's Free Catholic "The People's Missal" for £3?)

--------------------
Catholic books

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
I resurrect this thread to mention for the benefit of US shipmates that there is a reasonably-priced copy of the Anglican Service Book available currently on eBay, ending in 3 days.

(Did I also mention that I recently picked up a sound copy of E.A.L. Clark's Free Catholic "The People's Missal" for £3?)

MM, it can be had for half that price directly from the publisher: Good Shepherd Press
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Perhaps I should also mention the reprint of the deposited UK 1928 BCP with 1922/28 lessons for MP and EP in full.

[ 06. October 2008, 13:44: Message edited by: Brian M ]

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Spotted on eBay:

Bicknell on the 39 articles

Moss on the Christian Faith

Caudwell - Ceremonies of Holy Church

From the Fathers to the Churches

(all from the same seller, so you might be able to get a deal on postage.)

--------------------
Catholic books

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has been a while since anyone posted on this threat. However, two Anglo-Catholic gems have recently been republished by SCM/Canterbury Press:

Colin Stephenson - 'Merrily on High: An Anglo-Catholic Memoir'. (I read this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was excellent. Both interesting as an exploration of Anglo-Catholicism during the inter-war/post-war period, but also hilariously funny as a memoir.)

Colin Stephenson - 'Walsingham Way: Alfred Hope Patten and the Restoration of the Shrine of Our Lady'. (I have only just started reading this, but it seems to be very readable.)

Also on my to-read list is WSF Pickering's book on Anglo-Catholicism, which looks as though it could be interesting. (That and Dix on the Shape of the Liturgy/Dix's biography, which I hope to read longer-term.)

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a review of Pickering's book in last month's New Directions. I wouldn't call it overwhelmingly positive.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link to the review.

I enjoyed Pickering's book but felt that it described my family but that he didn't know us very well.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Someone should consider snapping-up this very reasonable copy of Vernon Staley's famous Prayerbook Catholic summary of "The Catholic Religion"

--------------------
Catholic books

Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Consider it snapped. Thanks for the heads-up.
Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
[ Can't say I was so keen on Rose Macauley's Towers of Trebizond (I thought it was a bit flat)

Heresy!

Seriously, though, I don't know what you mean by flat, although that may be more of a discussion for purgatory.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick the less saintly:
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
Can't say I was so keen on Rose Macauley's Towers of Trebizond (I thought it was a bit flat)

Heresy!
Maybe so, but I'm with aumbry here. I was glad when I'd finished it. The opening chapter or three promised much more than was delivered.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it fails to live up to its potential as light satire because it becomes a quite serious story about belief, unbelief, sin and grace. One could say the same thing about Brideshead Revisited.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone would be interested in a copy of The Sacristan's Manual by the Revd Denis G Murphy, Burns & Oates, 1st ed. 1950. It is slightly warped and a few pages including the front end papers are lightly foxed, but it has 24 pages of most delectable advertisements for sundry church furnishings, vestments etc. on shiny paper. I picked it up locally for A$6 and would be happy to sell it on for the same price plus p&p. The chart of private votive, requiem and nuptial masses is intact in the back pocket.
Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies if it has already been mentioned:

The Kirkbride Conversations by Harry Blamires. The format of a novel serves as framework for discussions of the tenets of the Christian faith from a decidedly Anglo-Catholic perspective-- dialogues between Father Kirkbride and a young agnostic who is eventually converted.

[ 23. January 2009, 17:05: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone mentioned Father Malachy's Miracle by Bruce Marshall yet? I discovered it just after Christmas - it's a scream. [Smile]
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

That is a good read.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Unfortunately I have given up eBay for Lent, so someone else must hoover up this chap's listings, including the Manual of Catholic Devotion, 8th edition Ritual Notes, and many another goodie besides!

--------------------
Catholic books

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I resurrect this thread to mention that there is currently a copy of G.A.C. Whatton's "Priest's Companion" on sale on eBay - Buy it Now for £20: all profits to Oxfam.

--------------------
Catholic books

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Wow - I think I should sell my copy - could do with some extra cash.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Wow - I think I should sell my copy - could do with some extra cash.

Up until recently I would have said it was likely to fetch about 4 times that!

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just my luck!! I already have two copies with different bindings. I paid £100 for one of them and £50 for the other, both on eBay!!
Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

It is still available, and I have also spotted a copy of Benziger Brothers' 1964 English translation of the Roman Breviary at what is still a good price, even in these straightened times...

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just received the copy of Fr Hartzell's 1963 edition of The Prayer Book Office which I obtained through Amazon at a price which was not overly exorbitant. It is in excellent conddition and I look forward to using it for Evening Prayer on some days.

It seems to me that this would be a good title for Lancelot Andrewes Press to reprint.

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This man is gradually selling off his complete liturgical collection - it's huge (I've seen it but not inspected in detail).
Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I forgot to mention that a brand-new edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described has recently been published by Continuum. It has been revised to take account of the latest regulations authorised by Benedict XVI for the celebration of the Extraordinary Form of the mass usuing the 1962 missal.
uncletoby

hobbyhorsical
# 13067

- Posted      Profile for uncletoby   Email uncletoby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Someone should consider snapping-up this very reasonable copy of Vernon Staley's famous Prayerbook Catholic summary of "The Catholic Religion"

I've just picked up a good 1909 copy of this on Amazon marketplace.

I also found an 1873 copy of John Keble's The Christian Year: Thoughts in Verse on ebay, as well as an interesting (although not strictly Anglo-Catholic) book titled Eastern Rite Prayers to the Mother of God.

--------------------
`` L--d! I cannot look at it ----

Posts: 1150 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

ALL priests should have books on pastoral care, the Bible and so on. However, I comment the following for those who need to work our which strand of anglo-catholicism they are in - or, better, NOT in:

Anglican Papalism – M. Yelton

A fascinating history of that fringe movement among anglo-catholics who wanted to see the Church of England, in its entirety, submit to Rome. Its leaders were often eccentric and authoritarian. Some were right-wing while other were deeply respected for their work amongst the poor.

They disobeyed their bishops by celebrating the Roman Rite, sometimes in Latin and by introducing Benediction, arguing that the canon law of the Roman Church had not been rescinded at the Reformation and was, therefore, a higher authority. One of them said that the Book of common Prayer was inspired by the devil. Many bishops found it difficult to discipline such clergy because of their obvious holiness and willingness to work is the toughest of parishes. ‘Flying bishops’ is not a novelty since many parishes were ‘put under the ban’ and imported bishops from overseas to do their confirmations. Dom Gregory Dix, who write the highly influential ‘Shape of the Liturgy’, pointed out that the sign of a bishop is a crook and the archbishop a double crook.

It was they who started what has now become The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.

I have considered (individual) submission to Rome and once supported the papalist ‘Catholic League’ but am now convinced that the movement is highly illogical. With the pending ordination of women to the episcopate, maybe members of Forward in Faith will seek uniate status under Rome (as they considered when the Lambeth Conference allowed birth control in the 1930s) and leave the rest of us behind.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
This man is gradually selling off his complete liturgical collection - it's huge (I've seen it but not inspected in detail).

There is some absolutely magnificent stuff in there, and some real rarities, the full Bute translation of the breviary, for instance, plus a Catholic Apostolic Church service book. The Angloc-Catholic, English and St. Swithun's Prayerbooks are also worth a look, as is Fr Forse's "Ceremonial Curiosities" and a red leather-bound English Missal for the Laity, to mention but a few.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

At the moment there is a copy of the 1963 edition of Paul Hartzell's Prayer Book Office for sale on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $359.99.

I was fortunate enough to obtain my copy on Amazon for about £75 Sterling. The seller kindly told me that it had come from the estate of a deceased priest. Now I must search for the original 1944 edition!

I still think this would be a good candidate for a reprint by a publisher such as Lancelot Andrewes Press. Actually, it would be good if the 1979 edition by Howard Galley was also reprinted, but I suppose that it might now also be regarded as too traditional by some.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016