homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone mentioned Father Malachy's Miracle by Bruce Marshall yet? I discovered it just after Christmas - it's a scream. [Smile]
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a good read.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I have given up eBay for Lent, so someone else must hoover up this chap's listings, including the Manual of Catholic Devotion, 8th edition Ritual Notes, and many another goodie besides!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I resurrect this thread to mention that there is currently a copy of G.A.C. Whatton's "Priest's Companion" on sale on eBay - Buy it Now for £20: all profits to Oxfam.

--------------------
Catholic books

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - I think I should sell my copy - could do with some extra cash.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Wow - I think I should sell my copy - could do with some extra cash.

Up until recently I would have said it was likely to fetch about 4 times that!

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just my luck!! I already have two copies with different bindings. I paid £100 for one of them and £50 for the other, both on eBay!!
Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

It is still available, and I have also spotted a copy of Benziger Brothers' 1964 English translation of the Roman Breviary at what is still a good price, even in these straightened times...

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just received the copy of Fr Hartzell's 1963 edition of The Prayer Book Office which I obtained through Amazon at a price which was not overly exorbitant. It is in excellent conddition and I look forward to using it for Evening Prayer on some days.

It seems to me that this would be a good title for Lancelot Andrewes Press to reprint.

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This man is gradually selling off his complete liturgical collection - it's huge (I've seen it but not inspected in detail).
Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I forgot to mention that a brand-new edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described has recently been published by Continuum. It has been revised to take account of the latest regulations authorised by Benedict XVI for the celebration of the Extraordinary Form of the mass usuing the 1962 missal.
uncletoby

hobbyhorsical
# 13067

- Posted      Profile for uncletoby   Email uncletoby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Someone should consider snapping-up this very reasonable copy of Vernon Staley's famous Prayerbook Catholic summary of "The Catholic Religion"

I've just picked up a good 1909 copy of this on Amazon marketplace.

I also found an 1873 copy of John Keble's The Christian Year: Thoughts in Verse on ebay, as well as an interesting (although not strictly Anglo-Catholic) book titled Eastern Rite Prayers to the Mother of God.

--------------------
`` L--d! I cannot look at it ----

Posts: 1150 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

ALL priests should have books on pastoral care, the Bible and so on. However, I comment the following for those who need to work our which strand of anglo-catholicism they are in - or, better, NOT in:

Anglican Papalism – M. Yelton

A fascinating history of that fringe movement among anglo-catholics who wanted to see the Church of England, in its entirety, submit to Rome. Its leaders were often eccentric and authoritarian. Some were right-wing while other were deeply respected for their work amongst the poor.

They disobeyed their bishops by celebrating the Roman Rite, sometimes in Latin and by introducing Benediction, arguing that the canon law of the Roman Church had not been rescinded at the Reformation and was, therefore, a higher authority. One of them said that the Book of common Prayer was inspired by the devil. Many bishops found it difficult to discipline such clergy because of their obvious holiness and willingness to work is the toughest of parishes. ‘Flying bishops’ is not a novelty since many parishes were ‘put under the ban’ and imported bishops from overseas to do their confirmations. Dom Gregory Dix, who write the highly influential ‘Shape of the Liturgy’, pointed out that the sign of a bishop is a crook and the archbishop a double crook.

It was they who started what has now become The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.

I have considered (individual) submission to Rome and once supported the papalist ‘Catholic League’ but am now convinced that the movement is highly illogical. With the pending ordination of women to the episcopate, maybe members of Forward in Faith will seek uniate status under Rome (as they considered when the Lambeth Conference allowed birth control in the 1930s) and leave the rest of us behind.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
This man is gradually selling off his complete liturgical collection - it's huge (I've seen it but not inspected in detail).

There is some absolutely magnificent stuff in there, and some real rarities, the full Bute translation of the breviary, for instance, plus a Catholic Apostolic Church service book. The Angloc-Catholic, English and St. Swithun's Prayerbooks are also worth a look, as is Fr Forse's "Ceremonial Curiosities" and a red leather-bound English Missal for the Laity, to mention but a few.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

At the moment there is a copy of the 1963 edition of Paul Hartzell's Prayer Book Office for sale on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $359.99.

I was fortunate enough to obtain my copy on Amazon for about £75 Sterling. The seller kindly told me that it had come from the estate of a deceased priest. Now I must search for the original 1944 edition!

I still think this would be a good candidate for a reprint by a publisher such as Lancelot Andrewes Press. Actually, it would be good if the 1979 edition by Howard Galley was also reprinted, but I suppose that it might now also be regarded as too traditional by some.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016