homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re. Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion: this one.

And the cover of my copy of the Manual of Catholic Devotion is also green.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Barbara Pym.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one seems yet to have mentioned that most excellent text Anglican Services ("A book concerning ritual and ceremonial in the Church of England by the present author of Ritual Notes and The Order of Divine Service"), published in a single edition (1953) and scarce as hens teeth. I have two copies. [Big Grin] A truly wonderful and highly opinionated read, including such useful sections as that which details how one celebrates mass if one had one's leg blown off in the war. [Ultra confused] It's a riot, and comes in most handy for entertainment after the third cognac at dinner parties.

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

Posts: 191 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're going for the amusing, then it has to be the Directorium Anglicanum, with its comically archaic attempt at eighteenth century typography:
quote:
But if the chalice have dropped upon the altar, the drop muft be fucked up, and the Prieft muft do penance for three days.

[ 13. March 2006, 10:35: Message edited by: Crotalus ]

Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the 1969 edition of A Manual of Catholic Devotion with the green cover. I picked it up at a retreat for 50p some years ago!

I also have Andrew Burnham's Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion, but in some ways I prefer the earlier CLA publications.

Another interesting prayer manual is The St Augustine Prayer Book, published for members of ECUSA in the 1950s. A reprint is available from the ACC. I have an original edition purchased on eBay.

DIVINE OFFICE

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Divine Office. I have the 'Manual of Catholic Devotion' but my (red) copy was printed around 1960/1962 so it doesn't contain 'Holy Communion Series Two' like the 1969 edition. When Andrew Burnham's Manual of Anglo Catholic Devotion came out a few years ago I got a copy but found it rather bulky and somewhat disappointing by comparison with the older books.

[Razz]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Bible? [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
A Bible? [Biased]

Tubbs

You mean Lectionary

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
A Bible? [Biased]

Tubbs

Ahh, now I've heard tell of this Bible. Could you tell us a little more about it?

[Biased]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
You mean Lectionary

Bible is to Lectionary as Liturgy of the Hours is to Shorter Christian Prayer.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I've heard of the Bible. I think it's a collection of quotations from the Missal, isn't it?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Erconwald
Shipmate
# 10918

- Posted      Profile for Erconwald   Email Erconwald   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Barbara Pym.

Excellent suggestion.

Also the various writings of E.L. Mascall, most especially Corpus Christi.

Posts: 71 | From: on the banks of the Owl Kill | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I'm sure I've heard of the Bible. I think it's a collection of quotations from the Missal, isn't it?

Thurible

Ahh, yes. That's the one! I knew I'd come across it somewhere.

I don't know. [Disappointed] These new-fangled things!

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Gentle Duffie
Shipmate
# 10901

- Posted      Profile for The Gentle Duffie   Email The Gentle Duffie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good call on Mascall, Erconwald. His Saraband, though it should have been edited better, is a fine autobiography as well.
Posts: 266 | From: Foreign Parts | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
cocktailgirl

mixer of the drinks
# 8684

- Posted      Profile for cocktailgirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George Herbert and Evelyn Underhill. Of the latter, especially The Mystery of Sacrifice and Concerning the Inner Life.
Posts: 841 | From: in hac lacrimarum valle, propping up the bar | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robertson Davies' The Cunning Man. (Indeed, all discerning persons should have the works of Canada's Finest.)

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maniple
Shipmate
# 2237

- Posted      Profile for Maniple   Author's homepage   Email Maniple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The poems of S.J. Forrest. Examples here.

--------------------
No Maniple, No Mass.
Better Together.

Posts: 178 | From: La Casa del Caffe Tazza d'Oro | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After rising from my bed of sickness this morning after a week of ague, I am sickened once more by the appallingly cynical and lowbrow books that are being offered up here.

Everybody knows thatthe only books any self-respecting A/C priest needs are:

Larousse Gastronomique

The Savoy Hotel Cocktail Handbook (1929 edition)

The Diaries of Sir Henry 'Chips' Channon

Bishops at Large - Anson

Church Builders of the Nineteenth Century - Clarke

This is the Mass - Fulton J Sheen

The Commonplace Book of Monsignior Gilbey

Anything by Alice Thomas Ellis, Evelyn Waugh, Simon Raven or Muriel Spark

It's all you need.

Cosmo

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by seasick:
quote:
Why do you need a copy of the ASB to be a self-respecting Anglo-Catholic priest?
A copy of the ASB, suitably draped with, say, a redundant chalice veil*, makes an excellent plinth for a statue of the Sacred Heart.

* Which begs the question of why there should be such a thing as a redundant chalice veil, obviously.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously, the one essential book to love and ponder is the Laws of Ecclesiastical Politie.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Anglo-Catholic Priest should be without his copy of Michael Reynolds' Martyr of Ritualism (Father Mackonochie of St Alban's, Holborn) It repays annual re-reading.
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Essays Catholic and Critical ?
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, I wouldn't be without -

Newman's 'Parochial and Plain Sermons' (all 8 volumes)
Faber's 'Oxford Apostles'
O'Connell's 'The Celebration of Mass' (3 vols)
Klauser's 'Short History of the Western Liturgy' (very Vatican 2 but otherwise an enjoyable canter through the last couple of millennia).

I'll also see Maniple's copy of Kavanagh's 'Elements of Rite' and raise him Kavanagh's 'On Liturgical Theology'.

'Brideshead Revisited'
The Lucia novels of E.F.Benson

And two Bibles - one Vulgate, one Septuagint.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angloid over in Purg
Soundings [ed. A R Vidler: Cambridge University Press 1962] -

No? As we're going to include Essays C+C?

e

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Adeodatus said:
* Which begs the question of why there should be such a thing as a redundant chalice veil, obviously.

I'm sure that Sarum Sleuth or Back-to-Front would be pleased to answer this.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:
Adeodatus said:

I'm sure that Sarum Sleuth or Back-to-Front would be pleased to answer this.
Nasty polyester

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Robertson Davies' The Cunning Man. (Indeed, all discerning persons should have the works of Canada's Finest.)

[Yipee] Another Robertson Davies fan! I love his stuff. My favourite has to be the Salterton Trilogy, especially 'Leaven of Malice'.

Humane Carthlick, having two copies of that book is Just Plain Greedy. [Roll Eyes] Where, may I ask, did you acquire those?

Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To say nothing of Joyce Coombs' Judgement on Hatcham (Fr Tooth).

And The Chalice & the Sword by Ernest Raymond (Frs Mackonochie & Stanton dramatised - for want of a better word)

And Consecrated Women? by Jonathan Baker (because he could use the royalties and it needs to be read)

And the collected works of Mrs David - starting, naturally, with French Provincial Cookery.

Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamburnite
Shipmate
# 9516

- Posted      Profile for Lamburnite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second Adeodatus on Lucia (not too church-related, but they're surprisingly wise about the dynamics of a small community such as, say, a parish).

And, since I've already introduced a few silly things, I'll add Paris Leary's Innocent Curate to the list. It is particularly hard to come by; not only does it have an early Edward Gorey illustration on the dustjacket, but it includes a damning (and not very well disguised) portrait of a former rector of a parish in upstate New York; said rector has done his best over the years to destroy whatever copies he could find.

[ 15. March 2006, 02:06: Message edited by: Lamburnite ]

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
This is the Mass - Fulton J Sheen

I had money on this coming up. Triple points for the context being a Cosmo post!

<scampers off to off-licence, pockets a-jingle>

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:

And her life of Archdeacon Denison:
quote:
To every change a most unflinching foe,
His answer - stereotyped - was always No.

Btw, has anybody mentioned Reed's Glorious Battle ?
humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magnum Mysterium asked re. Anglican Services:
quote:
Humane Carthlick, having two copies of that book is Just Plain Greedy. Where, may I ask, did you acquire those?
The first, for $1, in 1994, I think at St Peter's Bookroom in Melbourne. It went walkabout for many years, but was recently returned to its rightful owner, who is very pleased indeed.

By contrast the second copy, acquired last year whilst the first was awol, cost 85 quid at the SPCK bookshop on Tufton st, Westminster. And I don't regret it for a minute - even though the first copy has (miraculously!) reappeared. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

Forgive the double post, but has anyone yet mentioned the works of Father Andrew? ("Our Lady's Hymn", "The Seven Signs of Christ", "The Song of Redeeming Love", etc . . .) Fabulous and pithy AC liturgical devotional works.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamburnite:
And, since I've already introduced a few silly things, I'll add Paris Leary's Innocent Curate to the list. It is particularly hard to come by; not only does it have an early Edward Gorey illustration on the dustjacket, but it includes a damning (and not very well disguised) portrait of a former rector of a parish in upstate New York; said rector has done his best over the years to destroy whatever copies he could find.

I've got the book. I re-read it during my recent malaise. One of my luckier purchases ($10 - read it and weep). Paris Leary looks extraordinarily camp on the backcover, with his cravat and all.

I suppose all A/C priests ought to have a copy of Anglican Papalism - Yelton even if they disapprove. I also think, for light relief, Ceremonial Curiosities - Forse is worthwhile; it's a charming read.

We should also not forget The Rivers of the Flood - Hughes, Loose Canon - ed. Thompson and The Gentleman's Clubs of London - Lejeune.

But these three are optional really.

Cosmo

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Posted by seasick:
quote:
Why do you need a copy of the ASB to be a self-respecting Anglo-Catholic priest?
A copy of the ASB, suitably draped with, say, a redundant chalice veil*, makes an excellent plinth for a statue of the Sacred Heart.

Surely every church deserves a new one every now and then?

Incidentally, are any of these books permitted to the laity, or are we only allowed to osculate the cover as Father* passes?

* or Mother, obviously [Smile]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erconwald
Shipmate
# 10918

- Posted      Profile for Erconwald   Email Erconwald   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamburnite:

I thought of adding this one, too, Lamburnite. Said rector (long-retired) was just buried from his old parish church last Saturday, with many former curates in attendance. Alas, no stigmata in sight!
Posts: 71 | From: on the banks of the Owl Kill | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
James-Charles Noonan, Jr: The Church Visible - The Ceremonal Life and Protocol of the Roman Catholic Church (Viking, 1996)

if you can find it and afford it!

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and, on the other hand,
Walter Walsh, The Secret History of the Oxford Movement (various editions, 1890s) - a protestant diatribe which gives interesting facts and figures, by the author of the tuppenny leaflet The Secret Work of the Ritualists in the Protestant Church of England - a Startling Exposure (of the SSC, CBS, GAS, CU), etc. etc.

And, even more fun, this booklet:
J.C. Wilcox, Contending for the Faith: the authentic history of the life and martyrdom (sic) of John Kensit and the work that he founded (Protestant Truth Society, no date but still reprinted by them in the 1980s at least)

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:

And her life of Archdeacon Denison:
quote:
To every change a most unflinching foe,
His answer - stereotyped - was always No.

Btw, has anybody mentioned Reed's Glorious Battle ?

Yes, Glorious Battle is a remarkable study, albeit from a distinctly non- A/C point of view.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did we get this far without anything by Lancelot Andrewes, usually Manual of Private Devotions?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamburnite
Shipmate
# 9516

- Posted      Profile for Lamburnite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
How did we get this far without anything by Lancelot Andrewes, usually Manual of Private Devotions?

Yes -- in the original Greek if possible.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cosmo said:
I also think, for light relief, Ceremonial Curiosities - Forse is worthwhile; it's a charming read.

I picked a copy of this up recently after having chanced upon it in a sale of second-hand books and I do find it amusing.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Originally posted by humane catholic:
The first, for $1, in 1994, I think at St Peter's Bookroom in Melbourne.

I shouldn't be surprised that there's never anything good left amongst the second hand books at St Peter's Bookroom when I visit! [Razz]

I have a biography of Father Andrew, SSC, but none of his writings. Will keep eyes peeled.

I should also recommend to any Australian Anglo-Carthlick that they have a copy of John Hope of Christ Church: a Sydney Church Era. My copy comes from the estate of a deceased bishop, so it's extra holy.

I've also recently acquired a biography (I ought to say hagiography) of George Merrick Long, one time Bishop of Newcastle, written by W.A. Hardie, a former Dean of Newcastle.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
After rising from my bed of sickness this morning after a week of ague, I am sickened once more by the appallingly cynical and lowbrow books that are being offered up here.

Everybody knows thatthe only books any self-respecting A/C priest needs are:

Larousse Gastronomique

The Savoy Hotel Cocktail Handbook (1929 edition)

It's all you need.

Cosmo

Thank God he's back. I don't know how I made it through the week without our our Turbulent Little Father Cosmo™!
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

And, of course, no one should be without his copy of J.G. Lockhart's life of Cosmo.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do Anglo-Catholics realize that the laity can't tell the difference between a priest executing an obscure liturgy with archaic wording and precise ceremony and a priest muttering some fluff from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer while making the sign of the cross lots of times?

Probably because the two are practically the same thing anyway. [Yipee]

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Burbling Psalmist
Shipmate
# 9514

- Posted      Profile for Burbling Psalmist   Email Burbling Psalmist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do Anglo-Catholics realize that the laity can't tell the difference between a priest executing an obscure liturgy with archaic wording and precise ceremony and a priest muttering some fluff from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer while making the sign of the cross lots of times?
No Anglo-Catholic priest worth his/her salt would make the elementary mistake of worrying about what the laity think, surely? [Biased]

BP

[ 17. March 2006, 09:37: Message edited by: Burbling Psalmist ]

--------------------
"And the greatness of the great Christian saints lies in their readiness to be questioned, judged, stripped naked and left speechless by what lies at the centre of their faith" - Rowan Williams

Posts: 183 | From: Cambridge | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

quote:
Zach82 said:

Speak for yourself! I am sure that a number of regular lay members of this esteemed board would be able to tell the difference, and, indeed, dissect it at great and edifying length.

--------------------

The Gentle Duffie
Shipmate
# 10901

- Posted      Profile for The Gentle Duffie   Email The Gentle Duffie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Burbling Psalmist, it's not fashionable any longer to call the laity muggles.
Posts: 266 | From: Foreign Parts | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
cocktailgirl

mixer of the drinks
# 8684

- Posted      Profile for cocktailgirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when have A/Cs been worried about what's fashionable? Fashionable in the 1840s, or the 1920s, yes, but now?
Posts: 841 | From: in hac lacrimarum valle, propping up the bar | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016