homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Do Anglo-Catholics realize that the laity can't tell the difference between a priest executing an obscure liturgy with archaic wording and precise ceremony and a priest muttering some fluff from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer while making the sign of the cross lots of times?

The congregation at large may not be able to tell the difference (although most people can instinctively spot when something's being done Right - indeed, I rather suspect that the reason these Traditions have been handed down to us is because they look like Traditions are popularly supposed to more than expected by chance) - the important thing is:

1. God knows the difference (He probably doesn't care, but He does know)

2. Other priests know the difference and are sure to mock you for it if they get to hear that you've allowed your PCC to foist the ASB on you or something.

3. That old lady who's been in the congo since the reign of George V knows. And if you do it wrong, you'll be cursed forever.

Obviously the tat queens in the vestry also know. But they're Mostly Harmless.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Do Anglo-Catholics realize that the laity can't tell the difference between a priest executing an obscure liturgy with archaic wording and precise ceremony and a priest muttering some fluff from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer while making the sign of the cross lots of times?

The congregation at large may not be able to tell the difference (although most people can instinctively spot when something's being done Right - indeed, I rather suspect that the reason these Traditions have been handed down to us is because they look like Traditions are popularly supposed to more than expected by chance) - the important thing is:
Certainly, I'd say most congregations would be quick to spot when something is done differently!

Also, Zach82, the priest shouldn't be muttering (well except for the secret prayers). And the level of knowledge amongst the laity will vary hugely from a tat queen to someone who's still trying to work out what all this strange bowing and crossing and not quite kneeling stuff is all about. It is also possible for the laity to be educated about this stuff. For example, I remember Father exhorting us to remember our baptisms and mentioning how one way of doing this was by crossing ourselves with holy water as we entered the church. This was a passing comment in the sermon, but it does give a bit more knowledge.

This is though a long way from book recommendations.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songs of Syon (hymnal)

Anglicanism, compiled by More and Cross
(an anthology of excerpts from 16th and 17th century Anglican divines on various subjects)

Apostolic Succcession: is it true? by Felix Cirlot.

Boston Bohemia, by Douglass Shand-Tucci, essentially a biography of the early years (late 19th century in Boston) of the America's greatest neo-gothic architect, raised Unitarian and then converted rather dramatically to "the Anglican branch of the Holy Catholic Church." It is erudite and beautifully written, with a great deal of A-C analysis and lore.

And for light reading, the reminiscences of a former chaplain at Walsingham: Merrily on High, by Colin Stephenson.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad Adeodatus mentioned Brideshead Revisited , and Bernard Mahler mentioned Dix.

I would have thought John MacQuarrie's Paths in Spirituality was still useful. I still think Michael Ramsay's The Christian Priest Today is valuable.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan the Free:
You appear to have forgotten to include the Church of England's Alternative Service Book 1980 in your list.

Maybe not, but a copy of "No Alternative" is surely merited - 'every page has its outrage', indeed...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Apostolic Succcession: is it true? by Felix Cirlot.

Can anyone recommend another book on Apostolic Succession that is a bit cheaper yet is still comprehensive?

Thanks!

Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Gentle Duffie
Shipmate
# 10901

- Posted      Profile for The Gentle Duffie   Email The Gentle Duffie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Puller's The Continuity of the Church of England is rather inexpensive. http://www.accipepotestatem.com/ has a lot of free material on the Anglican Orders subsection of discussions about apostolic succession. Also, Conciliar Press has an inexpensive booklet on Apostolic Succession, by Gregory Rogers.
Posts: 266 | From: Foreign Parts | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I'm glad Adeodatus mentioned Brideshead Revisited , and Bernard Mahler mentioned Dix.

I would have thought John MacQuarrie's Paths in Spirituality was still useful. I still think Michael Ramsay's The Christian Priest Today is valuable.

Surely Brideshead would be right next to "Sword of Honour"?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Gentle Duffie:
Fr. Puller's The Continuity of the Church of England is rather inexpensive. http://www.accipepotestatem.com/ has a lot of free material on the Anglican Orders subsection of discussions about apostolic succession. Also, Conciliar Press has an inexpensive booklet on Apostolic Succession, by Gregory Rogers.

Thank you! The Conciliar Press tract(?) looks to be a good start in helping me work through some issues and questions I have in my mind.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
And, of course, no one should be without his copy of J.G. Lockhart's life of Cosmo.

I have this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Archbp Lang was a star [Overused]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Barbara Pym.

Philip Larkin *did* name her as one of the most underrated authors of the century!

[ 04. April 2006, 03:26: Message edited by: Magnum Mysterium ]

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Obviously, the one essential book to love and ponder is the Laws of Ecclesiastical Politie.

HT, must we plow through all eight, or is I through V sufficient?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody seems to have mentioned G A C Whatton's "A Priest's Companion" which I have found indespensable. Next best thing to the Raccolta (although Ambrose St John's translation of the Latin is, in places, excruciating e.g. 'I compassionate thee, O Mary')
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest the Raccolta is very advanced...if useful.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
lizw
Apprentice
# 11281

- Posted      Profile for lizw   Author's homepage   Email lizw       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:

As for Ritual Notes, until very recently, it was available from the publishing wing of the Anglican Catholic Church, as it is the standard ceremonial book of that church. It doesn't appear to be listed on their site but it's worth enquiring.

The 11th edition is still available via the Anglican Church in America website.

Liz

Posts: 30 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O frabjous day, caloo, calay!

I have just ordered Ritual Notes, Manual for Priests, and the 1928 BCP from the ACC...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After discussions with the Locum, who is a Canon Emeritus, and keeps recommending good carthlick books to me, I thought I'd compile a library of everything people have recommended on here.

Before I do so, are there any other books any of you would like to recommend?

WIthout being frivolous, and in all seriousness, what are THE most IMPORTANT books for an Anglo-Catholic to have? I just cannot see myself being able to find or get *all* the books listed (the current list is about 3 A4 pages [Eek!] )...

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
WIthout being frivolous, and in all seriousness, what are THE most IMPORTANT books for an Anglo-Catholic to have?
I'm not sure. Perhaps it depends on your position to a certain extent.

If you are an Anglo-Papalist who wishes to copy current Roman Catholic practice in its best sense, I would say Elliot's Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite and Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year, both published by Ignatius Press.

If you are more traditional, I would say the Canterbury Press reprints of The English Missal and The English Ritual, as well as the Farnborough Abbey Press edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of The Roman Rite Described, and the APA reprint of Ritual Notes.

I would say that everyone should read Colin Stephenson's Merrily On High, if you can get hold of a copy.

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I managed to pick up a copy of the 1934 edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described for Ł8. Not too bad a bargain. The cheapest vintage copy for sale on the Abebooks catalogue is about Ł18.

This edition retains a rather interesting preface by Fr Fortescue himself.

DIVINE OFFICE

Monty
Shipmate
# 9227

- Posted      Profile for Monty   Email Monty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a bargain. I managed to obtain one from a dying priest recently, for which I am very thankful for his generousity.

--------------------
I too am High, even extreme, but somewhat lapsed, which is a sound position, as you belong to the best section of the best branch of the Christian Church, but seldom attend its services. Rose Macaulay

Posts: 170 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
After discussions with the Locum, who is a Canon Emeritus, and keeps recommending good carthlick books to me, I thought I'd compile a library of everything people have recommended on here.

Before I do so, are there any other books any of you would like to recommend?

WIthout being frivolous, and in all seriousness, what are THE most IMPORTANT books for an Anglo-Catholic to have? I just cannot see myself being able to find or get *all* the books listed (the current list is about 3 A4 pages [Eek!] )...

Nunc, I'm sure this collecting of a library is not something to be done quickly, it takes a lifetime of serendipitous discoveries in second hand bookshops, deceased estates, fortuitous gifts, and the like - I'm sure you'll eventually find most things on the list. When you eventually make your pilgrimage Home you'll also find that a lot of things are more easily obtainable than they are here too. Good luck with the hunting!
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

True enough. But it doesn't bode well that these things largely aren't to be obtained for love or money, even over the www.

I drooled on Friday, and exclaimed with envy, when I found a copy of The Parson's Handbook on the shelves of my training rector's office.

Her reply was, "So you want a book that tells you about how sheep should be placed on the village green..."

Well, yes. Actually.

[Razz]

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc,

Take heart - I have been able to get a reasonably interesting collection in only about five years; alongside luck, identifying good bookshops local to you and establishing a relationship with those online with a reputation in this field can only help. You are welcome to PM me if you would like a list of sources I am aware of but my search nearly always starts with the secondhand section of my local SPCK!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Picked myself up a copy of the Shape of the Liturgy on the weekend at a second hand bookshop. Wasn't exactly cheap, but certainly much cheaper than others I'd seen. [Yipee]
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, collectors may be interested to know that Gage Books have just put out a new Anglican list including 9th edition Ritual Notes, two Parson's Handbooks, an SSPP Abridged Anglican Missal, and Whatton's Priest's Companion.

--------------------
Catholic books

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

EEEK!!!!
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
EEEK!!!!

Amongst many other goodies, but those are the ones that struck me particularly - and I only looked at the worship section!

--------------------
Catholic books

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

And why wasn't I told about this site before?

That Whatton's Priest's Companion has my name on it!

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
And why wasn't I told about this site before?

That Whatton's Priest's Companion has my name on it!

You didn't ask!

Other goodies include:

Clarke, Basil F.L.; CHURCH BUILDERS OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY - A STUDY OF THE GOTHIC REVIVAL IN ENGLAND (as referenced earlier in this list, I think)

Several tracts by the SSPP (Society of Saint Peter and Saint Paul), with which Ronald Knox was heavily involved at one time and which produced the Anglican Missal.

Staley, Vernon; THE CEREMONIAL OF THE ENGLISH CHURCH (an interesting book from an “English Use” perspective.)

Here is the source: http://www.gagebooks.com/catalogue/Ang65.htm

I am telling myself that I DO NOT WANT and CANNOT AFFORD the SSPP Missal but I'm not sure if I have convinced myself yet.

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Just ordered several things from Gage Books... [Biased]

Yes, Whatton's Priest's Companion, Dearmer's Handbook, and Merrily on High were among the items ordered...

And I have a whole list of other books I'll be thinking about.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:

Yes, Whatton's Priest's Companion, Dearmer's Handbook, and Merrily on High were among the items ordered...

Merrily on High? I missed Merrily on High??! Serves me right for skim-reading...

eBay is often good if you are not in a hurry - e.g. a copy of Colin Stephenson's account of the Anglican shrine at Walsingham "Walsingham Way" went yesterday for Ł17. Just outside my limit, unfortunately.

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I managed to order a copy of the second edition (1933) of The Priest's Book of Private Devotion from the Abebooks catalogue at a reasonable price today.

GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion is a work I shall be looking out for in the future, although I suspect that I had better not hold my breath while waiting for a copy! I may be able to borrow one from a priest friend, though. He's previously lent me Walsingham Way and Merrily On High. It broke my heart to have to return them!!!

Some of these scarce Anglo-Catholic works would make good reprint projects for publishers like Canterbury Press and Lancelot Andrewes Press.

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Got my very nice copy of The Priest's Book of Private Devotion this morning, with which I am delighted. I would even recommend this work to RC priests! Perhaps Triple Tiara would care to skim through a copy!!!

I notice that the book was revised by a certain Father Bristowe of Bagborough. Wasn't he the priest referred to by Colin Stephenson in Merrily On High, who didn't approve of married priests and boasted of the seperations he had caused?!!!

My Anglo/Roman Catholic want list is currently as follows:-

Howard Galley - THE PRAYER BOOK OFFICE (second edition 1987, HarperCollins, I think. To go with my original edition of 1980.)

G A C Whatton - THE PRIEST'S COMPANION (Knott and Sons?)

Liturgical Press, Collegeville - THE DIVINE OFFICE (The pre-vatican II Roman Breviary in English and Latin in three volumes, c1963. Baronius Press are planning a reprint with revisions. Original editions can fetch a hefty price on eBay.)

Church Literature Association - A MANUAL OF CATHOLIC DEVOTION (original edition of 1950. I have the final edition of 1969)

Colin Stephenson - WALSINGHAM WAY and MERRILY ON HIGH (Darton, Longman and Todd)

In my experience, if you persevere in looking for rare books for long enough, they eventually come your way.

DIVINE OFFICE

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:

Merrily on High? I missed Merrily on High??! Serves me right for skim-reading...

eBay is often good if you are not in a hurry - e.g. a copy of Colin Stephenson's account of the Anglican shrine at Walsingham "Walsingham Way" went yesterday for Ł17. Just outside my limit, unfortunately.

Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger. I've managed to get NONE of the major books I really really wanted (like the Whatton).
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just checked up, and The Priest's Book of Private Devotion was revised by a Father Briscoe, not Bristowe.

DIVINE OFFICE

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

As a matter of interest, would any shipmates be interested in sharing details of books (worship-related) which they come across and which, although they themselves do not want them, might be of interest to others on the board? I ask since I often come across books which I do not want or cannot justify buying but which are likely to be of interest to someone on here, and I am sure others find the same. This might be a good way of sharing this sort of information. Any views welcome.

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

quote:
Just checked up, and The Priest's Book of Private Devotion was revised by a Father Briscoe, not Bristowe.

DIVINE OFFICE

Checked again, and it is definately the Father Briscoe of Bagborough referred to by Colin Stephenson.

Actually, The Priest's Book of Private Devotion is a wonderful resource. It has material in both English and Latin, and I plan to use it in conjunction with my daily recitation of part of the LOH for additional prayers after the Office.

I wonder if Canterbury Press in Norwich would consider reprinting it, as they have done with The English Missal, The English Ritual, and The English Office. I'm sure many people would welcome it.

DIVINE OFFICE

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

I wonder how many of the books on this page on Library Thing have been mentioned in this thread.

Careful with Library Thing, it's addictive, as a few shipmates on the Oz thread have discovered.

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone mentioned The Parish Priest at Work: An Introduction to Systematic Pastoralis by Charles Robert Forder?

If this is the book I have in mind, it is indeed systematic, chock-full of specific nuts-and-bolts suggestions as to efficient administration, including self-discipline, alongside the more obviously spiritual issues. (The counterpart treatise for choirmasters would be John Bertalot's Immediately Practical Tips for Choral Directors.) Perhaps it was inspired by Jeremy Taylor's challenging precepts in Holy Living.

Perhaps it is not overtly Anglo-Catholic, although from what I remember it seems to have the right tone and a conscientious A-C parish priest would be glad to study it. I picked up a used copy while visiting England ca. 1974 (for a low price; many used books were inexpensive then) and some years later managed to lose it. Amazon lists two editions but knows of no copies currently available.

This book would be an eye-opener for anyone who imagines that a clergyman works mainly on Sunday and has little to do the rest of the week.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if anyone's mentioned The Parish Communion by AG Hebert. Read an essay or two last night. This book started it all in the MOTR parishes, and led to the Eucharist being celebrated as the main service in most Anglican churches, regardless of churchmanship.

The Call of the Cloister, by Peter Anson, though exclusively about the revival of religous life, captures a mood and a way of life that still inspires and informs throughout the world.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

Thought of another:

The Haggerston Catechism, by H.A. Wilson.

This work was published in several small paperback volumes. It describes the successful curriculum and teaching methods that a great vicar of S. Augustine's, Haggerston used for his children's confirmation classes. This is/was an inner-city Anglo-Catholic parish in London.

--------------------

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Thought of another author that definitely ought to be included on this thread: Robertson Davies. A particular favourite of mine is his Salterton Trilogy. He shows a lot of perspicacity with regards to the Anglican Church in particular (he was an Anglican himself). I guess it wouldn't be unfair to describe him as a twentieth century Antony Trollope.

I also like his collection of essays, One half of Robertson Davies and his Deptford Trilogy.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

OK. I've spent a few hours compiling a list of stuff posted to this thread up to the beginning of this page (at least).

Having done a massive amount of editing, could I ask that if you post a book title, if at all possible could you post its bibliographic details (Author, place of publication, publisher, date of publication), and also if possible, a link to a page where it can be ordered/viewed?

I've realised too that online resources are very important. So if you come across good A-C books/tracts/pamphlets/articles online, please post links!

For the time being I am posting Prayer Books, Lilturgical and Devotional Manuals. These were the easiest to pull into a bibliographic list; the fiction and non-fiction listings are more complicated...

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Prayer books, Missals and Office Books:
Book of Common Prayer 1662
The First Prayerbook of Edward VI 1549
The Second Prayerbook of Edward VI 1552 (both of these available in the Everyman volume)
Proposed Prayer Book of 1928
Alternative Services Book 1980
Common Worship 2000
An Australian Prayer Book 1978
A Prayer Book for Australia 1995
The South African Book of Common Prayer (1929, 1954, An Anglican Prayer Book 1989)
Book of Common Prayer 1928 (ECUSA)
Book of Common Prayer 1979 (ECUSA)

Information on Anglican Prayer Books from around the world can be found here:
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/

English Missal
Sarum Missal
The Anglo-Catholic Prayer Book
The English Catholic Prayer Book
The St Augustine Prayer Book
The Divine Office (RC)
The English Office
The Anglican Breviary (Frank Gavin Foundation)
The Monastic Diurnal
The Monastic Diurnal Noted
Liber Usualis
Gradual Romanum
Liber Hymnarius
Gregorian Missal
St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter
The Daily Office: from A Prayer Book for Australia (2006)

Liturgical Manuals:
Lamburn, ECR. Ritual Notes. Various editions, mostly published by Mowbrays between 1894 and 1960.
Ritual Notes is available online, and for purchase:
http://anglicanhistory.org/liturgy/ritual_notes_1894/
http://anglicanbooks.com/product_info.php/products_id/43
Fortescue, A, and O'Connell, JB. The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described. Various editions, mostly published between 1917 and 1962.
Dearmer, Percy. A Parson's Handbook. Various editions, mostly published by Oxford University Press between 1899 and 1965.
Church of England. English Ritual: A Companion to the English Missal. Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2002.
Directorium Anglicanum
“Anglican Altar Services, 1941”
Dearmer, Percy. The English Liturgy. 1903.
Alcuin Club. Directory of English Ceremonial.
Elliot, Peter J. Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite. Ignatius Press, 1995.
Elliot, Peter J. Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year. Ignatius Press, 2002.
Walker, Charles. The Ritual Reason Why. London: Mowbray, 1931 -1962.
Kavanaugh, Aidan. Elements of Rite: a handbook of liturgical style. Pueblo Pub Co, 1982.
Smolarski, Dennis C. How not to say Mass. Paulist Press, 1986.
Dearmer, Percy. The Ornaments of the Ministers. Mowbrays, 2nd Ed. 1920.
Ward, Pete. The Rite Stuff. BRF, 2004.
Anglican Services ("A book concerning ritual and ceremonial in the Church of England by the present author of Ritual Notes and The Order of Divine Service"), published in a single edition (1953)
Sheen, Fulton J. This is the Mass.
O'Connell, JB. The Celebration of Mass. (3 vols.)
Klauser, Theodor. A Short History of the Western liturgy. Trans John Halliburton. OUP, 1979.
Kavanaugh, Aidan. On Liturgical Theology.
Forse, Edward JG. Ceremonial Curiosities and queer sights in foreign churches. Faith Press, 1938.
Noonan, James-Charles Jnr. The Church Visible: the Ceremonial Life and Protocol of the Roman Catholic Church. Viking Press, 1996.
Dix, Gregory. The Shape of the Liturgy.

Alcuin Club – more details:
http://www.alcuinclub.org.uk/
Percy Dearmer – more details and list of writings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Dearmer

Devotional Manuals:
Michno, Derek. A Priest's Manual. Morehouse Publishing, 3rd edition, 1998.
Maddux, EH. A Manual for Priests of the American Church. 5th edition, reprinted by APA 2004.
Belton, FG. A Manual for Confessors (A Guide to the Administration of the Sacrament of Penance for the Use of Priests of the English Church) , 6th ed. (1916; London: A. R. Mowbray and Co., Ltd., 1949).
Book of Blessings (??)
Lent, Holy Week and Easter: services and prayers. 1986 (??)
Burnham, Andrew. A Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion. Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2001.
Gilbey, (Monsignor) AN. The Commonplace Book of Monsignor AN Gibley. 1993
Whatton, GAC. The Priest's Companion. London: Knott & Son, 1960.
Oldknow, J and Crake, AD. The Priest's Book of Private Devotions. London: Mowbray, 1929 ff 1956.

Project Canterbury has a number of online books, tracts and pamphlets.
http://anglicanhistory.org/

[ 28. July 2006, 04:07: Message edited by: Nunc Dimittis ]

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Have I missed anything important?

If I've missed your country's prayer book, or something you feel is vital, please let me know: post here or PM me.

Ta.

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Having done a massive amount of editing, could I ask that if you post a book title, if at all possible could you post its bibliographic details (Author, place of publication, publisher, date of publication

I'll look into setting up a catalogue containing all of these on LibraryThing.com - you can easily download the bibliographic data from Amazon or other libraries. Then you can keep adding to it.

Will think about doing the novels etc as well - it will be quite easy to distinguish them using tags.

quote:

I've realised too that online resources are very important. So if you come across good A-C books/tracts/pamphlets/articles online, please post links!

Why not start a del.icio.us page with these links, and posting the link on here? I can set one up if you like. That way, they're all in the one place and easily accessible through a single URL - and there's a chance you can discover similar sites at the same time.
humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] Nunc!

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

Posts: 191 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

OK everyone, I have started a new book collection in Library Thing, with the user handle 'ecclesiantics' - see here. I have put in most of the suggestions that have been listed on these threads, but I haven't yet done many prayer books or missals.

Library Thing offers suggestions for books that users may also like, listed under the 'Pssst...' tab (similarly tagged, people who own ... also own ... etc). The suggestions based on our catalogue already make for very interesting reading and perhaps will prompt shipmates to add more suggestions.

If anyone would like to contribute to the ecclesiantics Library Thing catalogue by adding more books or adding useful tags to the books already there, please PM me for the password.

I only ask that you please do not delete any of the books that are already there, and refrain from adding duplicate records.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

You totally rock, MM.
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

But I notice that GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion isn't on the list...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016