homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is interested, there is currently another copy of GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion up for auction on eBay. If you type in "Breviary" it should come up. At the time of this post there are no other bids on it.

DIVINE OFFICE

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone has mentioned any of the writings of Jung yet - any takers?
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another good week for acquisitions, if not for my bank balance; a bound series of tracts by John Henry, Cardinal Newman, The Pastoral Semons of Monsignor Ronald Knox, Peter F. Anson's the Hermit of Cat Island, all by or about swimmers of the Tiber and, more immediately relevant to this list, the 11th (1964) edition of Ritual Notes with a nice contemporaneous Anglican Services.

Casting back, I suspect that anything by Dom Gregory Dix is worth a cleric having but in addition to The Shape of the Liturgy, his Question of Anglican Orders is well worth perusing - as, I believe, is his Jurisdiction in the Early Church, although I have not yet got around to reading the latter.

I am glad to see that Canon Vernon Staley has got a mention but I don't think anyone has yet commended his Ceremonial of the English Church, which should be highly congenial to those of the "English Use" school. He also edited the excellent Library of Liturgiology and Ecclesiology for english Readers, which I am slowly collecting. Some time ago I acquired a copy of the "Essays on Ceremonial" volume which, aside from essays from the pen of Dearmer, St. John Hope, Wickham Legg and others, had been considerably enriched by marginal notations and interleaved newspaper cuttings chiefly relating to vestments, dating back to the 1930s. I also have a copy of its reprint of the first Prayer Book which came from a Unitarian theological college, of all places!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double-post, but browsing on eBay reminded me of two further books well worth featuring on the list from a "Sarum" perspective, these being the Chichester Customary and the wonderfully-titled Notes on Ceremonial from the Antient [sic] English Office Books with the Order of Holy Communion - the latter also doubling as a nice Sarum-influenced Missal.

--------------------
Catholic books

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two big scores for me this week: Fortescue and O'Connell, and a GAC Whatton Priest's Companion. [Yipee]
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mysterium:
Two big scores for me this week: Fortescue and O'Connell, and a GAC Whatton Priest's Companion. [Yipee]

Congratulations - it sounds like a book well worth having. I passed on a copy of the Raccolta, but did get one rather nice score - an acceptable copy of Lane and Ahearne's "Pontifical Ceremonies", a study of the episcopal ceremonies in a Roman Catholic context, from a very helpful seller. Can anyone recommend a comparable book from an Anglican perspective? I don't recall one being mentioned on the list so far.

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Thought it might be worth bumping this thread to draw shipmates' attention to this rather nice 1934 (8th?) edition of Fortescue/O'Connell's "Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described", as mentioned early on in the thread. I have the same edition, and it is certainly a very handsome volume.

Also worth noting is this copy of the Parson's Handbook (the second one listed).

I am looking forward to receiving a copy of the Alcuin Club's "Notes on Episcopal Ornaments and Ceremonial" in the next few days; hopefully it should be the answer to the question I posed above!

[ 27. October 2006, 14:06: Message edited by: Manipled Mutineer ]

--------------------
Catholic books

MattV
Shipmate
# 11314

- Posted      Profile for MattV   Email MattV   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got copies of The People's Anglican Missal and Dufy's Stripping of the Altars. [Yipee]
Posts: 350 | From: New England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by MattV:
I just got copies of The People's Anglican Missal and Dufy's Stripping of the Altars. [Yipee]

Very nice; I have the Duffy, although I haven't go around to reading it yet. Also his "Voices of Morebath", which I understand is the story of the Reformation through the eyes of the people of the village of the title.

Is the Anglican Missal the American edition?

--------------------
Catholic books

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PEOPLE'S ANGLICAN MISSAL is indeed the US edition. As for your signature, um . . .
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
PEOPLE'S ANGLICAN MISSAL is indeed the US edition. As for your signature, um . . .

Ah - I was confusing it with "The People's Shorter Anglican Missal", which was a SSPP production. And thank you very much, and good luck... Perhaps a donation on my part to the Organ Fund might be in order?

--------------------
Catholic books

MattV
Shipmate
# 11314

- Posted      Profile for MattV   Email MattV   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:

Very nice; I have the Duffy, although I haven't go around to reading it yet. Also his "Voices of Morebath", which I understand is the story of the Reformation through the eyes of the people of the village of the title.

Is the Anglican Missal the American edition?

I have read about 20 pages of Duffy [Razz]
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

My Whatton and my Fortescue arrived this week! [Yipee]
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
magnum mysterium wrote:-

quote:
My Whatton and my Fortescue arrived this week!
Splendid! Treasure them for the rest of your days, as they are both classics!

I would say that Father Whatton's Priest's Companion is the finest devotional manual I have yet come across, whether Roman or Anglo-Catholic.

I have also heard that a deluxe version of Father Whatton's book was published with a leather cover! One of them would indeed be a marvellous find, but I suspect an extremely expensive one!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Ecce Quam Bonum
Shipmate
# 10884

- Posted      Profile for Ecce Quam Bonum   Email Ecce Quam Bonum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking for a small book of prayers for both Eucharistic preparation and post-Eucharistic thanksgiving. I am fine with its containing other things, but it would be handy if the main focus is on preparation and thanksgiving. Perhaps this esteemed group of Anglo-bibliophiles might have some suggestions to assist me?

--------------------
"And it is folly—it is madness—to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."--+Frank Weston, "Our Present Duty"

Posts: 168 | From: Sewanee, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Eucharistic Year from SCM-Canterbury Press has Eucharistic devotional quotes from the Fathers for each day of the liturgical year. I still use it.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecce Quam Bonum
Shipmate
# 10884

- Posted      Profile for Ecce Quam Bonum   Email Ecce Quam Bonum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
The Eucharistic Year from SCM-Canterbury Press has Eucharistic devotional quotes from the Fathers for each day of the liturgical year. I still use it.

Is that the book by A.H. Baverstock found here?

--------------------
"And it is folly—it is madness—to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."--+Frank Weston, "Our Present Duty"

Posts: 168 | From: Sewanee, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One book that changed my perspectives on many things was Prayer Book Interleaves by Palmer-Ladd.

Written between the wars, the meat of his arguments on celebration style and dignity, the restoration of beauty, of form and sense, cultural sensitivity, even zeitgeist, make this book a treasure.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just obtained a copy of the 1940 edition of Vaux and Littledale's Priest's Prayer Book for peanuts! I've seen one go on eBay for around £50.

Amongst other interesting things, it has a rite of deprivation of holy orders for use by a bishop!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
Just obtained a copy of the 1940 edition of Vaux and Littledale's Priest's Prayer Book for peanuts! I've seen one go on eBay for around £50.

Amongst other interesting things, it has a rite of deprivation of holy orders for use by a bishop!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

A lucky strike! I've been looking for one for a while now; the description of it by a certain prolific eBay seller hooked me...

--------------------
Catholic books

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
Nobody seems to have mentioned G A C Whatton's "A Priest's Companion" which I have found indespensable. Next best thing to the Raccolta (although Ambrose St John's translation of the Latin is, in places, excruciating e.g. 'I compassionate thee, O Mary')

On this point, has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Raccolta in the translation by Ambrose St. John, published by Burns and Oates here in the UK, and that by Joseph Christopher, which I think was published in the US by Benzinger Brothers? Would you recommend one over the other?

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just got a copy of Horsfield and Riley's This Our Sacrifice dirt cheap!!!

Does anyone know if the church in Paddington in which the Low Mass was photographed still exists, and if so, what the churchmanship is like now?

DIVINE OFFICE

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if the church in Paddington in which the Low Mass was photographed still exists, and if so, what the churchmanship is like now?

Assuming that the church in question is St Mary Magdalene, Woodchester Street, it is still there, and as far as I know, still Forward in Faith, modern Roman rite and poorly attended. I believe that the vacancy there has just been filled, but can't swear to this.

Hope this helps.

SS [Smile]

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MattV
Shipmate
# 11314

I have a feeling Santa will be leaving a copy of Ritual Notes under the tree [Big Grin]
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
I have a feeling Santa will be leaving a copy of Ritual Notes under the tree [Big Grin]

Whereas I am hoping for a copy of Yelton's "Anglican Papalism" (as referenced earlier in the thread). Would Butler's Lives of the Saints be too Roman to propose for an Anglo-Catholic library (I am just looking at my copy of the 1991 New Concise Edition)?

--------------------
Catholic books

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yelton's new biography of Alfred Hope Patten is also marvelous and should be included.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
Yelton's new biography of Alfred Hope Patten is also marvelous and should be included.

Indeed. I have a copy - may be the first person in Australia other than the person who bought it for me to have one!
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just obtained a copy of the 1921 edition of The Parson's Handbook at a good price on eBay.

DIVINE OFFICE

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would Butler's Lives of the Saints be too Roman to propose for an Anglo-Catholic library (I am just looking at my copy of the 1991 New Concise Edition)?

Too Roman?

[Confused]

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Would Butler's Lives of the Saints be too Roman to propose for an Anglo-Catholic library (I am just looking at my copy of the 1991 New Concise Edition)?

Too Roman?

[Confused]

Thurible

I know, I know, I struggle with the concept too...

Congratulations Divine Office, I was wondering if anyone I knew would bag that one.

--------------------
Catholic books

andersoj
Apprentice
# 4024

- Posted      Profile for andersoj   Author's homepage   Email andersoj   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a "Ship-of-Fools Approved (TM)" used bookshop list somewhere? Threads like this always send me into a book-shopping frenzy, but Amazon.com is not a very satisfying outlet.

For instance, I am celebrating the holidays with my family in Portland, Oregon, and would love to find a charming bookshop which has a collection of used volumes cited in this thread. No idea how to find such a place, however.

I've really been fascinated by the "Parson's Handbook," cited frequently at SoF. Where to get an appropriately loved used copy?

--JA

--------------------
andersoj[at]andersoj[dot]org

Posts: 6 | From: USA: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by andersoj:
Is there a "Ship-of-Fools Approved (TM)" used bookshop list somewhere? Threads like this always send me into a book-shopping frenzy, but Amazon.com is not a very satisfying outlet.

For instance, I am celebrating the holidays with my family in Portland, Oregon, and would love to find a charming bookshop which has a collection of used volumes cited in this thread. No idea how to find such a place, however.

I've really been fascinated by the "Parson's Handbook," cited frequently at SoF. Where to get an appropriately loved used copy?

--JA

I believe that there is a US-based store called "The Anglican Bibliopole" which is very good for such things; not sure where it is physically located, but I believe it has a web presence.

As to the Parson's Handbook, it is readily available provided you are prepared to pay a longish price (say fifty pounds and above); cheaper copies tend to be the product of lucky finds in bookstores or patient trawling of eBay.

Here are some copies by way of example, in descending order of price:
4th edition (about eighty pounds)
Another 10th edition
10th edition
Another 4th edition
6th edition
9th edition

4th edition? (about thirty pounds)

--------------------
Catholic books

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nashotah House Mission Bookstore sells an academic reprint of one of the later editions of the PARSON'S HANDBOOK for around $45. The Mission Bookstore manager, Ms. Charlotte "Chardy" Booth will be glad to answer your questions and take orders by telephone. You may call her at (262) 646-6529.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

re: my last post--it's the 12th edition (not one of the post-Dearmer abbreviated editions) and it's now $58. Unfortunately it's a small paperback--apparently OUP charges a lot for print-on-demand academic reprint rights.
moveable_type
Shipmate
# 9673

- Posted      Profile for moveable_type   Email moveable_type   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] As to the Parson's Handbook, it is readily available provided you are prepared to pay a longish price (say fifty pounds and above); cheaper copies tend to be the product of lucky finds in bookstores or patient trawling of eBay.

I got lucky on Ebay, eventually.

A less elegant option, but much cheaper, would be to download a .pdf and print it.

Posts: 1062 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just finished reading Boston Bohemia - having never heard of it before it was mentioned on this thread.

It didn't seem to be much about anglo-catholicism. More about architecture and homosexuality. Maybe the connection is the relatively liberal attitude the Cowley fathers had about homosexuality compared with the Roman Catholics then and now.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The discussion of Ango-catholicism, homosexuality, and fin de siècle Boston is very amusing in that Shand-Tucci sort of way. Sadly the promised second volume never appeared. I suspect the publishers couldn't get Douglas to finish it. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it boring - maybe I don't have much interest in the aforementoned subjects and maybe I get impatient with long books.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

Well, he does go on and on and on in a rambling fashion...
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

My copy of The Parson's Handbook has just arrived. It looks like a fascinating read!!!

Not sure what my local RC priest would make of it, although the ocasional procession would certainly enhance the worship at my parish!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

How about 'People, Places and Thinkgs: The Society of Mary' by A. Parkinson & R. McEwen? Ir describes a procession in Manchester with an image of Our Lady complete with glass eyes and ear rings whose hair was combed by a sever during Solemn Vespers.

--------------------

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sent a private message to another poster about this, but thought all of you might benefit.

there is a terrific site for finding used and out of print books: Advanced Book Exchange.

I use it all the time professionally (I'm a librarian) and personally for books that one can't find on Amazon. It works rather like Amazon marketplace--you place your order through ABE and the order goes to the seller that has the book you've selected. There are scads of used and out of print dealers offering their listings through ABE.

Everything I have ever ordered has been exactly as advertised, so I have never been disappointed. The fact that the sellers are professional book dealers is the reason, I'm sure.

Also, there are terrific ways to search and limit your search on the site (first editions; display from cheapest to most expensive, etc.)

I was able to get a book from a German book dealer through ABE for 10 bucks, including postage ... the same book was for sale through Amazon marketplace for $140!! (It was an obscure title, not really "antiquarian"). So it can be a really good deal, too. It is absolutely my site of choice when I am looking for used or out of print books.

Hilda

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I've bought some of my rare liturgical books through the Advanced Book Exchange and some through eBay.

ABE is certainly an excellent resource for obtaining rare items. For example, there are currently three copies of Howard Galley's Prayer Book Office listed for sale, but each of them is priced at £100!!!

If you are lucky, eBay can sometimes be cheaper, but sometimes not!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

A brilliant piece of fiction that someone gave me for Christmass this year that are a must for any self respecting A-C: Four Stories by Alan Bennett.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes - the story about the masseur's funeral is particularly good - funny yet poignant.

--------------------

MattV
Shipmate
# 11314

St Nick left copies of Ritual Notes and the Pratice of Religion for me [Smile] I also had Kinkos bind me a copy of the Parson's Handbook , 2nd edition, which can be found online.

[Yipee]

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I have to thank Santa for Walsingham Way (nice copy, with dustjacket), Yelton's Anglican Papalism , and John P. Plummer's Many Paths of the Independent Sacramental Movement (about the episcopi vagantes phenomenon, in case anyone was wondering.) I also hope to receive in due course (thanks to the wonders of eBay) copies of the St. Augustine's Prayer Book and the Priest's Prayer Book. So a good week overall.

--------------------
Catholic books

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, Project Canterbury now has an HTML version of The Parson's Handbook, 1899 version.

cheers

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Here is the PRIEST's PRAYER BOOK:

http://tinyurl.com/y52ua4

That archive is a gold mine--PRIME AND HOURS FROM THE PRIEST'S BOOK OF PRIVATE DEVOTION is also found there, as well as many other liturgical rarities.

humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Acquired yesterday "Masses of the Dead, taken from the English Missal, together with The Rite of Absolution for the Dead from The English Ritual" (W Knott & sons, 1960) - all nicely bound in black, with lots of black, purple & deep red tabs. It's a slim altar-sized volume, and seems hardly to have been used. Never seen such a thing before - and I've been around. It's terribly, terribly Carth-lick.

Anyone else familiar with it (or, indeed, own it)?

HC

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

Posts: 191 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016