homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd highly recommend "The Congregation in Church" published by Mowbrays, my edition is 1912, but it's clearly much earlier. It's subtitled A Plain Guide to a reverent and intelligent participation in the Public Services of Holy Church.

On the cover are the charming words - "Ask for the Old Paths and Walk Therein".

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
I'd highly recommend "The Congregation in Church" published by Mowbrays, my edition is 1912, but it's clearly much earlier. It's subtitled A Plain Guide to a reverent and intelligent participation in the Public Services of Holy Church.

On the cover are the charming words - "Ask for the Old Paths and Walk Therein".

Yes indeed; an excellent book. I occasionally use the motto as my sig. (when not trying to wrest shipmates of their hard-earned cash with my tempting book offers, of course.) "Ceremonies of Holy Church" by Irene Caudwell is another good one along similar lines.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks to you, Gentle Duffie and Maniple. I have picked up Merrily On High to be my mindless reading during exams and find myself laughing out loud at least once on every single page.

It is a gentle, sweet delight.

Many thanks!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To return to the initial question about books containing the rite itself rather than elucidating the rubrics, there is always The People's Anglican Missal, originally published by the Society of SS. Peter and Paul. My copy is the American edition, published by the Frank Gavin Liturgical Foundation, but I recently purchased a gift copy through the web site of one of the "continuing" churches.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By way of bumping this thread, may I ask how Nancepean is pronounced? It is the name of the Cornish village in which, I presume, the Rev. Mark Lidderdale will soon apostasize from the CoE.

I'm having a delightful time with A Parson's Progress and Heavenly Ladder. However, The Altar Steps has proved harder to find.

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ritual Reason Why by Charles Walker.

Makes a tat queen's heart go pit-a-pat, and provides a lifetime of interesting tid-bits to throw into sermons.

Wish I had one. If anyone does, please scan and send, or photocopy and post. It's not that long. Would love to have one. Read it once a few years ago. The priest who had it will forever fill an emptyness, because amidst all the borrowings, it never came back. He's on Maewo now. He won't find another copy there, I assure you.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
The Ritual Reason Why by Charles Walker.

Makes a tat queen's heart go pit-a-pat, and provides a lifetime of interesting tid-bits to throw into sermons.

Wish I had one. If anyone does, please scan and send, or photocopy and post. It's not that long. Would love to have one. Read it once a few years ago. The priest who had it will forever fill an emptyness, because amidst all the borrowings, it never came back. He's on Maewo now. He won't find another copy there, I assure you.

This resource might help.

--------------------
Catholic books

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
The Ritual Reason Why by Charles Walker...[m]akes a tat queen's heart go pit-a-pat, and provides a lifetime of interesting tid-bits to throw into sermons.

A goodly number of those tid-bits are likely to be wrong, retrojecting an allegorical reason onto something that developed for practical reasons or just like topsy.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has Fr. Sullivan's EXTERNALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH been mentioned yet?

http://tinyurl.com/39cnwj

Also, Cardinal Villeneuve's INTRODUCTION TO THE LITURGICAL YEAR is very instructive. A biretta tip to the gentleman who introduced both of them to me.

Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
Has Fr. Sullivan's EXTERNALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH been mentioned yet?

http://tinyurl.com/39cnwj

I picked up a copy recently; I think I am going to enjoy it, although mine is a school edition, and so I wonder if it might not be slightly simplified as compared to the original.

I also greatly enjoyed spending the past couple of days perusing the Warham Guild Handbook - Historical and Descriptive Notes on 'Ornaments of the Church and of the Ministers Thereof.' Apart from the handsome illustrations of Warham Guild work in the "english Use" idiom, it is also a useful glossary and interesting respository of advice on vestments and church furnishings. Additionally, the spirit of Percy Dearmer breathes forth from every page, for good or for ill; including (I noted) his odd and slightly risible aversion to trousers as a mode of dress for men. (It was in a discussion of the cassock I believe, in case anyone was wondering.) Taken with a pinch of salt, it coudl be an interesting resource for someone trying to furnish and arrange their church in an "English Use" style.

--------------------
Catholic books

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just do a quick boast? In attempting to learn more of the catholic (small c) side of the church I ordered a copy of Ronnie Knox's translation of the Roman Missal from Abe for £15. When it arrived this week it had notes all the way through it. The writer of the notes had his name inscribed on the flyleaf - J B O'Connell.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

[Eek!] (can't find one for "envy"...)

--------------------
Catholic books

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good lord, man. You found the Grail. You could flip that for a lot of money, but I imagine you will hold on to it and it is well that you do.
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

It may be of interest to know that Gage Books' new worship catalogue has just been released.

I am currently working my way through E.M. Almedingen's biography of Dom Bernard Clements, priest, Anglican Benedictine, preacher, Vicar of All Saint's Margaret Street, etc. It is very enjoyable, even if the language is a little overcooked. Also looking forward to receiving a copy of "Catholic Prayers for Church of England People" shortly!

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the 1936 edition of Catholic Prayers for Church of England People last year. It's a nice, handy pocket-sized volume.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

What sort of prayers are found therein? Is it an office book with devotions like the MANUAL OF CATHOLIC DEVOTION?
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want some comic relief, try finding "Organo Pleno", by Gordon Reynolds, pub. Novello, 1970. Its a small (48 pg) book about Organist/Choirmasters and their plight. Starts with a dictionary of terms- for example:
Boys: unsatisfactory alternatives to girls
And a few pages later-
Girls: unsatisfactory alternatives to boys

Hymnals: books of hymns, sensitive to the pull of gravity at solemn moments

It is very funny, especially to musicos, but clergy might find it enlightening too.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
I got the 1936 edition of Catholic Prayers for Church of England People last year. It's a nice, handy pocket-sized volume.

It doesn't really have the Office in it in the same way as the Manual, but has all the Litanies, Devotions, Acts and whatnot that one could ask for. On reflection, yes, it is a successor to the Canon TT Carter, Manual of Catholic Devotion type of book.

[ 28. June 2007, 18:04: Message edited by: Archimandrite ]

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:This resource might help.
Thanks, Manipled! Am downloading as I type.

PS To TSA: Of course it's "wrong" HISTORICALLY, but O WHAT FUN!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just obtained a copy of the revised 1960 edition of The Priest's Book of Private Devotion.

It makes an interesting comparison with the earlier edition of 1929 which I also have. By 1960, the Latin devotions had been removed from the book. Perhaps traditional Anglo-Papalism was in decline by then!

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

There is currently a copy of the 1960 edition of Fr GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion for sale on eBay. Check under Anglo-Catholic.

DIVINE OFFICE

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sorting through my books the other day, in preparation for moving from one house to another, when I happened across a copy of Catholic Prayers for Church of England People which I didn't know I had. (The wonders of elderly clergy giving you lots of things.) It has the collects, epistles and gospels in the back, too. It's rather nice and I was pleased it has lots of good stuff in. However, I soon noticed that it was falling apart. "Would it be worth having it re-bound, I wonder?" So I looked to see how much a copy of such a book would cost and saw I could get one for about £20. "Hmmmm," I thought, "let's check out how much it would cost to get it re-bound." Before I managed to get to the binders, though, I came across another copy of the said book that I didn't know I owned, this one without the BCP extras, but not in need of re-binding.

Fun, hey?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I also discovered that I have a copy of the Priest's Book of Private Devotion! The cover's fallen off but it's still there.

Thurible

--------------------

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Has anyone seen a copy of a 1662 or deposited 1928 BCP with the 1922 Revised Lectionary office lessons appended, for sale online recently? (There is one up for bid on eBay called the DAILY SERVICE BOOK but the seller and I have declared each other anathema.) Any leads would be greatly appreciated--
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a copy of The Parson's Handbook in a sale for £1 - am going to see how much it will get on e-bay - already have 2 other copies so might get rid of two.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

I have one of those too...

Perhaps I should get into this book-selling business.

Thurible

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

I meant a Daily Service Book, but I have a Parson's Handbook too.

Thurible

--------------------

Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Picked up in a second-hand booksellers yesterday: Meditations for every day in the year by Bishop [Richard]Challoner, in a pocket edition printed on India paper by the Society of SS Peter & Paul, 1915.

The readings are "collected from the Word of God and the writings of the servants and saints of God", but are all paraphrased by Bishop Challoner.

It doesn't seem to be very common, particularly in this edition. Anyone else come across it?

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I've heard of the "Medidations" book but never seen it; as a product of the SSPP it should be elegantly produced and highly collectable. I have a Pilgrim's Manual of theirs and a Missal, both handsome articles.

Whilst I remember, any shipmates in visiting distance of Chester might like to drop in to the SPCK, which has two rooms stacked floor to ceiling with secondhand books, all at half price, including an altar size English Missal and small altar size Anglican Missal (both now £125 each), plus numerous lesser priced goodies. I bought 17 books whilst I was there for an outlay of about £25, including Dom Gregory Dix's "A Detection of Aumbries", Lowther Clarke's "The Prayer Book of 1928 reconsidered", Horsfield & Riley's "This Our Sacrifice" in hardback, and numerous others.

--------------------
Catholic books

Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Manipled mutineer wrote:
quote:
Whilst I remember, any shipmates in visiting distance of Chester might like to drop in to the SPCK, which has two rooms stacked floor to ceiling with secondhand books, all at half price,
Well, that's my spare cash gone this coming weekend then ...
Thanks for the tip!

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Athanasius+:
Manipled mutineer wrote:
quote:
Whilst I remember, any shipmates in visiting distance of Chester might like to drop in to the SPCK, which has two rooms stacked floor to ceiling with secondhand books, all at half price,
Well, that's my spare cash gone this coming weekend then ...
Thanks for the tip!

You are welcome! I heard from the staff there that the instruction had come down from on high that SPCK was to cease selling secondhand books. Although matters have gone quiet since then, I understand that they aren't doing any more buying, so it may be worth paying a visit to benefit from some bargains if, as I suspect, they are running down their stocks. York also has a good selection, if I remember rightly.

--------------------
Catholic books

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Bristol SPCK sold off all its secondhand books - I got many bargains for £1 each.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Yes. Bristol SPCK sold off all its secondhand books - I got many bargains for £1 each.

I think Cardiff may be doing the same. But no-one is to go there except me.

--------------------
Catholic books

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loads of second-hand and remaindered books in Westminster SPCK today. Not all exactly cheap either.

Had I seen a Parson's Handbook I would have remembered you all and bought it [Smile] Well, if I could have afforded it that is.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Loads of second-hand and remaindered books in Westminster SPCK today. Not all exactly cheap either.

Had I seen a Parson's Handbook I would have remembered you all and bought it [Smile] Well, if I could have afforded it that is.

Ah, well, I believe that Tufton Street is where all the good stuff goes! (Although I note that the website is not functioning, at least for me, which leads me to wonder whether this aspect of their operations is being wound-down as well.)

--------------------
Catholic books

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:

[clears throat suspiciously]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:

[clears throat suspiciously]
I think I can beat him to it if I leave now, having youth on my side.

--------------------
Catholic books

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I did.

Incidentally, has anyone heard of "The Little Missal for the Laity - Compiled from authorised sources by a committee of laymen, the translation of the canon being that of Bishop Miles Coverdale", a Faith Press production? I recently acquired a copy but have never heard of it before.

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Due to a very welcome hint by another member of this forum, I have recently obtained a copy of An Abridged Anglican Missal published by the Society of SS Peter and Paul in the early 1930s.

I already have a couple of editions of The Shorter Anglican Missal from the same period. In all three books the secret prayer before communion is not given in the propers of the masses.

I also have a copy of This Our Sacrifice,which contains pictures of a low Mass using the Anglican Missal. In this book, the celebrant is depicted using the BCP Prayer for the Church Militant rather than the Roman secret before the canon.

Was this standard practice with the Anglican Missal, and why the secrets were not printed, at any rate in the pew editions? I haven't yet seen an altar edition.

Interestingly, in the APA reprint of The People's Anglican Missal in the American Edition which I also have, all the secrets are definitely given, as was the case with The English Missal.

Can anyone expand on this?

DIVINE OFFICE

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Sadly I can't, but if you can travel to Chester, they do (or did) have an altar-size Anglican Missal for perusal...

--------------------
Catholic books

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Anyone have any hints for scoring a copy of the 1662 or deposited 1928 BCP with the full Lessons from the The Revised Tables of Lessons of 1922 appended?
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

A reasonably-priced 9th edition of Ritual Notes available here.

--------------------
Catholic books

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Baskerville Book of Common Prayer (preferably in the original eighteenth century binding) is an essential to any Anglican clergyman's library (high or low).

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I've just managed to secure a copy of the 1963 edition of Lamburn's Anglican Services for a handsome price!!!

Also hoping to receive a copy of the final edition of Peter Anson's Call of the Cloister.

DIVINE OFFICE

humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DO - A very worthy purchase. [Overused] Especially if you didn't pay terribly much. . . . [Mad] Were it not for the fact that my entire library is now in boxes I would recommend some of the more entertaining pages.

A VERY great shame if SPCK should stop all its second-hand trade. I've had some fun at the Tufton st shop over the years (including, incidentally, a copy of Anglican Services at premium rates). Alas Chester, even once I relocate from the Antipodes to Oxford in a couple of weeks, is perhaps a little far to travel just for random bibliophilic purposes.

Then again . . .

(But then again again, now that it's on this thread there's ___-all chance of anything interesting being left in two weeks' time.

Ah well . . .

HC.

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

Posts: 191 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

- Posted      Profile for humane catholic   Email humane catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Btw, MM - I'm not sure I'd describe anything by Lowther Clarke as essential reading for the Anglo-Catholic clergy-person. Clarke was many thing, but he weren't no A-C.

HC.
[with apologies for the double post]

--------------------
Remember, Jesus loves you - yes all of you, even the ones that some Christians think should go to hell.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by humane catholic:
Btw, MM - I'm not sure I'd describe anything by Lowther Clarke as essential reading for the Anglo-Catholic clergy-person. Clarke was many thing, but he weren't no A-C.

HC.
[with apologies for the double post]

Interesting - from reading "Liturgy and Worship" and the "Prayer Book of 1928 Reconsidered" I would have said his direction of approach was A-C, but then I'm not one...

I had quite a successful browse yesterday at Hay, unearthing the following:

Ritual Notes (10th edition, thus making two copies, of which RpM has first dibs on one)
Anglo-Catholics - What They Believe (SSPP)
The Oxford Movement (Wilfrid Ward)
Pro Vita Monastica: An Essay in Defence of The Contemplative Virtues by Henry Dwight Sidgwick (very handsome printing)
The Hymnal Companion to the Book of Common Prayer and
Christian Worship: its origin and evolution: a study of the Latin liturgy up to the time of Charlemagne (Duchesne)

plus some Papist stuff in which I am sure no-one will be interested, but see my sig...

--------------------
Catholic books

humane catholic
Shipmate
# 9440

MM wrote:
quote:
plus some Papist stuff in which I am sure no-one will be interested, but see my sig...
--------------------
Latin and English Roman Breviary Advent-Lent, anyone?

DEFINITELY the sort of thing any self-respecting etc . . . My own (full set of all three volumes) has archi-episcopal signatures, acquired for a song at a very superior second-hand book sale in Adelaide some years ago (where I also purchased Colin Stevenson's "Merrily on high" for $AUD1 [Big Grin]

[ 15. October 2007, 13:04: Message edited by: humane catholic ]

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamburnite:
A.N. Wilson's Unguarded Hours is wonderful, if very difficult to obtain. I'm waiting to borrow a copy of his Kindly Light -- we'll see if that deserves to be on the list.

Unguarded Hours, as noted elsewhere, made me want to go to Staggers. [Axe murder] Kindly Light, IMO, wasn't as good.

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Thought of another:

The Haggerston Catechism, by H.A. Wilson.

This work was published in several small paperback volumes. It describes the successful curriculum and teaching methods that a great vicar of S. Augustine's, Haggerston used for his children's confirmation classes. This is/was an inner-city Anglo-Catholic parish in London.

Maddeningly, I managed to pick up volumes 1 and 3-6, for free no less, but volume 2 was mysteriously AWOL.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamburnite:
A.N. Wilson's Unguarded Hours is wonderful, if very difficult to obtain. I'm waiting to borrow a copy of his Kindly Light -- we'll see if that deserves to be on the list.

Unguarded Hours, as noted elsewhere, made me want to go to Staggers. [Axe murder]
Which, my dear, is exactly why I suggested you shouldn't. It made me very glad that things have changed!

I found it one of the most depressing books I've ever read - not least because a friend of mine whose father went to interview at Staggers in the 70s said it really wasn't all that different.

Thurible

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016