homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The worst Bible verse (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The worst Bible verse
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

- Posted      Profile for Anglican2009   Email Anglican2009   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi. I read about your quest to find the "worst" Bible verse in the Daily Telegraph.

Why not just set up a new religion? Or declare yourselves atheist? Or join a political party instead?

It's clear that the people around Ship of Fools believe in "social religion" and not "revealed religion". In other words, your "religion", if you can put it that way, is equivalent to left-wing politics - equality, anti-racism, anti-homophobia, feminism, diversity, environmentalism. It seems odd to pose as a religion, when in fact social religion is just politics.

If you don't believe in revealed religion, then you are not Christian. End of. There are no "worst" Bible verses, although your interpretations could be dodgy. The Old Testament teaches us that God commanded the ancient Israelites to strike down the Amalekites and the practitioners of false religion - and in our day today an application would be to oppose multiculturalism and prevent England from sliding into Islamism. In fact, those verses are important for reminded us that Christianity is not meant to be a limpwristed religion and has nothing in common with left-wing "social religion". Think of St James of Compostela, Santiago Matamoros as he is known in Spanish, he slaughtered the Moors, and took part in a centuries-long campaign to recover Spain and restore the Christian religion in Spain, which was finally successful by 1492. Think of the Crusades. Think of how our Empire spread Christianity around the globe. On a personal level we should not judge, but as a matter of policy of the church and of a Christian society, we should oppose false religion, and do what we can to uproot it.

"I forbid a woman to teach". Yes, and what is wrong with this verse? The tradition of the undivided Church was to have a male ministry. And the pagans did indeed have priestesses in ancient Rome and Greece. Of course Jesus was a man, and a woman who conduct a mock Eucharistic celebration is guilty of blasphemy, because she cannot stand in the place of Christ. The Bible and the tradition of the Church are in agreement on this. If you disagree - you put yourself outside the church. It's that simple.

There is no point in pretending to subscribe to a religion whose beliefs and tenets you do not hold. Let me add another to your "worst" verses. Jesus specifically stated that divorce was equivalent to adultery. And yet I bet your social religion includes opposition to anyone who does not belief in divorce - although Our Lord said what he did in plain words.

If you don't believe in the Bible as interpreted in the light of church tradition, you could still believe in some kind of New Age "god", but that would not make you Christian. Or alternatively, reading between the lines, you don't believe in any God at all but believe in cultural Marxism. Why not register with the Electoral Commission as a political organisation?

[ 26. October 2009, 21:32: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Posts: 43 | From: Firmly ensconced in the closet | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello:

You might find this post more effective in thePurgatory or Hell boards.

All Saints is not the board for disputation.

Thread closed.

PeteC
All Saints Host

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On second thoughts, I'll send it to Hell. It's too early in the morning to be posting without tea.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican2009:
Hi. I read about your quest to find the "worst" Bible verse in the Daily Telegraph.

Why not just set up a new religion? Or declare yourselves atheist? Or join a political party instead?

Mistake 1: Assuming that you can happily encompasses every single shipmate with the word 'you'. Spend some time in Purgatory and you'll realise that there's almost nothing that we all agree on.

Mistake 2: Assuming that your hermeneutic is correct and everyone else can't possibly be right. You wanna argue the theology behind your assertions, that's cool.

Mistake 3: Not having a sense of humour.

Apart from that, go for broke [Yipee]

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Pete - I needed a good laugh this morning [Big Grin] .

I was going to post a calculated and withering rebuttal to every one of this little fuckwit's points, but most of them are Dead Horses. and it wouldn't do for a Host to be posting Dead Horses all over his own board, would it? So I'll content myself with these two:

quote:
In other words, your "religion", if you can put it that way, is equivalent to left-wing politics - equality, anti-racism, anti-homophobia, feminism, diversity, environmentalism. It seems odd to pose as a religion, when in fact social religion is just politics.

And right-wing, prejudiced, racist, homophobic, chauvinism isn't politics?

quote:
The Old Testament teaches us that God commanded the ancient Israelites to strike down the Amalekites and the practitioners of false religion - and in our day today an application would be to oppose multiculturalism and prevent England from sliding into Islamism. In fact, those verses are important for reminded us that Christianity is not meant to be a limpwristed religion and has nothing in common with left-wing "social religion". Think of St James of Compostela, Santiago Matamoros as he is known in Spanish, he slaughtered the Moors, and took part in a centuries-long campaign to recover Spain and restore the Christian religion in Spain, which was finally successful by 1492. Think of the Crusades. Think of how our Empire spread Christianity around the globe. On a personal level we should not judge, but as a matter of policy of the church and of a Christian society, we should oppose false religion, and do what we can to uproot it.
So Christianity is all about killing those dirty ragheads and keeping England English. I see it all now.

Crawl back under your rock, scum. Filth like you makes me sick.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow. An OP that goes straight for "I thought this was a Christian website" -NOT- without passing go, without collecting $200.

Welcome to Hell on the Ship of Fools. Believe it or not you belong here. Have a duckie.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...Or alternatively, reading between the lines, you don't believe in any God at all but believe in cultural Marxism. Why not register with the Electoral Commission as a political organisation?

Fuggin'A, Dood! Power to the Sheeple! <raises clinched fist>

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is nothing wrong with the Bible, just man screwing around with it trying to justify being a bunch of plonkers and dick heads

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
...and it wouldn't do for a Host to be posting Dead Horses all over his own board, would it?

Why not? You regularly blow a load into your metaphorical socks, so what's the difference?

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglican2009, out of all the posts that will appear on this thread, you can put me down as The Nice One. I've just had a go at Richard Dawkins in a Purgatory thread, and I haven't had too much caffeine this morning, so I'm feeling kind of mellow.

Perhaps, in answer to your own very clearly expressed OP, you might find it useful to spend some time in the area of the Ship called "Chapter & Worse". There you'll find, among a good deal of humour and self-mockery, a lot of thoughtful and mature engagement with what anyone must admit are some very difficult pieces of scripture. I'm a theological liberal myself, but have been impressed by the care and subtelty of many of the arguments that have been made in favour of retaining these scripture verses.

Go ahead. Enjoy.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
...and it wouldn't do for a Host to be posting Dead Horses all over his own board, would it?

Why not? You regularly blow a load into your metaphorical socks, so what's the difference?
Say what? [Confused]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, be honest, Adeodatus: you put a splash of whisky into your morning cup of joe, didn't you?

Nobody's that mellow. [Smile]

[ 02. September 2009, 09:49: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Now, be honest, Adeodatus: you put a splash of whisky into your morning cup of joe, didn't you?

Nobody's that mellow. [Smile]

*Hic*

I deny everything.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Anglican2009, out of all the posts that will appear on this thread, you can put me down as The Nice One.

Translation: I'm a posturing asshole who's trying to appear sympathetic to a clueless noobie Christian's conservative concerns.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Think of St James of Compostela, Santiago Matamoros as he is known in Spanish, he slaughtered the Moors, and took part in a centuries-long campaign to recover Spain and restore the Christian religion in Spain.

[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

Nobody is this stupid, are they?

St James of Compostela was dead by then, you know ... Unless you think he rose up, zombie-like, from the cathedral in Santiago, armed with his evil instrument of torture.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Say what? [Confused]

You're either innocent, stupid or a bad actor. My money is on bad actor.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I simply fail to see what (metaphorical) masturbation has to do with Dead Horses.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Left-wing social religionist"? Moi? [Killing me]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My money is on bad actor.

Heh.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

I'm fairly sure you're to the left of someone who thinks Christians should rise up (with the help of zombies) and put the Muslims to the sword in the manner of the Reconquista.

Heck, Nick Griffin is to the left of such a person ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
I simply fail to see what (metaphorical) masturbation has to do with Dead Horses.

quote:
... and it wouldn't do for a Host to be posting Dead Horses all over his own board, would it?

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

yeah, you're an old softy. Rumour has it you let Mrs Black sit in the front seat of the car recently.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, but only after I removed said front seat and strapped it to the roof rack. One has a reputation to maintain, you know...

[Returning to the OPer, I'm intrigued by his/her moniker: surely the Anglican Communion is far too liberal and apostate for such an individual?]

[ 02. September 2009, 10:36: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh hang on - is that the ritual where you drive at 100 miles an hour with your wife on the roof rack and either she falls off and is mortally injured or she's a witch?

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wow. An OP that goes straight for "I thought this was a Christian website" -NOT- without passing go, without collecting $200.[/URL]

This joke needs to be addressed. It's easier to laugh than address the issues Angliacan2009 raises. If he made the mistake of thinking this was a Christian website, then what kind of website is it?

It's very clear to everybody but those engaged with the Ship that Chapter & Worse is an excellent example of Christians denying parts that traditionally belonged to their religion, because said religion is so outrageous not even Christians can accept it today!

Only the odd fundamentalist still believes that stuff.

Of course, this raises some very interesting questions. If you cannot stand your own religion and feel the need to revise it constantly so that it matches your sensitivities, then why not do away with the whole thing instead of creating your own religion as you see fit?

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by The Man With No Name:
Oh hang on - is that the ritual where you drive at 100 miles an hour with your wife on the roof rack and either she falls off and is mortally injured or she's a witch?

No, don't be silly: you have to push the car into a lake first with her attached to the roof rack and if it floats then she's a witch and you have to burn her, but if she drowns, then she's OK.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Just what you did, eh, Squig? Like a few months ago.

[damn, Matt Black is fast!]

[ 02. September 2009, 10:50: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hi.

snip

Or alternatively, reading between the lines, you don't believe in any God at all but believe in cultural Marxism. Why not register with the Electoral Commission as a political organisation?

Could be a contender for the Best First Post, ever.

[Overused]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:
It's easier to laugh than address the issues Angliacan2009 raises. If he made the mistake of thinking this was a Christian website, then what kind of website is it?

Obviously, The Church of the Subgenius or Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. That's why your spiritual conviction was victimized, §Andrew. Your brains were stirred into a savory liberal pesto sauce.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Just what you did, eh, Squig? Like a few months ago.

[damn, Matt Black is fast!]

"Sometimes I'm so sharp, I cut myself!"

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Man With No Name:

No, don't be silly: you have to push the car into a lake first with her attached to the roof rack and if it floats then she's a witch and you have to burn her, but if she drowns, then she's OK.
Surely, following the Second Vatican Council, full immersion of one's potentially heretic sorceress wife is no longer required?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

You mean I can just smother her with a damp flannel! Damn - think of all those cars I've ruined as I've gone through those wives! [Waterworks]

[ 02. September 2009, 11:00: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
If he made the mistake of thinking this was a Christian website, then what kind of website is it?

It would seem that you don't get the joke. The point of which is that this is a Christian website, but fuckwits like our OPer don't realise that Christianity is a wonderfully broad and diverse religion, and thus come here expecting to see a whole bunch of clones who believe, like and dislike exactly the same things as them. And then say we're not Christian when they find that we don't.

quote:
It's very clear to everybody but those engaged with the Ship that Chapter & Worse is an excellent example of Christians denying parts that traditionally belonged to their religion, because said religion is so outrageous not even Christians can accept it today!
One or two outrageous parts do not an outrageous religion make. Unless you're the sort of fuckwit who thinks you have to either accept all of it or none of it.

Oh wait, you are. That's why you junked your devoutly held beliefs the very first time you came up against something you couldn't deal with.

quote:
Of course, this raises some very interesting questions. If you cannot stand your own religion and feel the need to revise it constantly so that it matches your sensitivities, then why not do away with the whole thing instead of creating your own religion as you see fit?
All-Or-Nothing-Andy strikes again.

Ever heard of continuing revelation? Things change. Deal.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Think of St James of Compostela, Santiago Matamoros as he is known in Spanish, he slaughtered the Moors, and took part in a centuries-long campaign to recover Spain and restore the Christian religion in Spain.

[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

Nobody is this stupid, are they?

St James of Compostela was dead by then, you know ... Unless you think he rose up, zombie-like, from the cathedral in Santiago, armed with his evil instrument of torture.

Ye cannae die St. James of Compostela! Ye are immortal!

It's clearly the plot of the latest Highlander franchise. The world will end neither with a bang, nor a whimper, nor the rapture of the faithful but in a duel to the death with fuck-off great big broadswords between St. James of Compostela and Our Lady of Medugorjie whilst everything around them blows up spectacularly and the spectral figure of St. Frederick of Mercury keens the unearthly sound of Give Me The Prize.

There can be only one! (Crash! Bang! Wallop! Boom!)

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
quote:
Wow. An OP that goes straight for "I thought this was a Christian website" -NOT- without passing go, without collecting $200.[/URL]

This joke needs to be addressed. It's easier to laugh than address the issues Angliacan2009 raises. If he made the mistake of thinking this was a Christian website, then what kind of website is it?

Only the odd fundamentalist still believes that stuff.

Not everyone is like you, dissecting faith with a laser scalpel, telling everyone else on the Ship they really should be truly holy like an Orthodox saint, and then chucking the lot when you achieve Secular Enlightenment by reading one book that strikes an intellectual chord and frees you from poring over the writings of Church Fathers.

In other words, I don't want to "do away with the whole thing". I recognize that I may well be wrong about much or all of it, and other people may be right (even you, Andrew dear), but That's Okay. I've committed myself to a belief system that helps me think and act positively and, for the most part, charitably -Hell visits and human irritation not withstanding.

You, of course, are free to continue to look down your nose at the non-Andrew-style-Orthodox or liberal Christians or fundamentalist Christians or non-Enlightened non-Secularists or anyone else who doesn't think like you do this month. I'll feel free to tweak newbies who pronounce their poor opinions of the Ship in Hell without addressing their concerns. Because that's what each of us does, evidently.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:

If your house has a leak in the roof, is it better to repair the leak or to knock down the house and start again?

Sometimes it may be better to start again. The leak in the roof could be symptomatic of a fundamental structural failure. Or it may not.

You have decided that the flaws in traditional Christianity are like that. We have come to the conclusion that they aren't. Why can you not just accept this, instead of assuming that the rest of us have never ever considered the question and are too stupid to see the implications of our relative liberalism?

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ffs [Disappointed]
where do these people crawl out of?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not necessarily. As Adeodatus said:

quote:
There you'll find, among a good deal of humour and self-mockery, a lot of thoughtful and mature engagement with what anyone must admit are some very difficult pieces of scripture.

Also, often the reason people have submitted verses to Chapter & Worse isn't because of the verse itself, but because of how those verses have been taken out of context and misused by so many people. As Springy said,

quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Bible, just man screwing around with it trying to justify being a bunch of plonkers and dick heads
A good example is the very verse Anglican2009 quoted on women teaching.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
...Ever heard of continuing revelation? Things change. Deal.

Actually, no, I haven't. Is that like an extended warranty contract where the dealer can change the terms of service?

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
quote:
Anglican2009, out of all the posts that will appear on this thread, you can put me down as The Nice One.

Translation: I'm a posturing asshole who's trying to appear sympathetic to a clueless noobie Christian's conservative concerns.
Aw Gort, ya big schnuggly cuddlebunny! Get over here and give us a hug. Go on! Go on, ya know ya want to!

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
It's clearly the plot of the latest Highlander franchise. The world will end neither with a bang, nor a whimper, nor the rapture of the faithful but in a duel to the death with fuck-off great big broadswords between St. James of Compostela and Our Lady of Medugorjie whilst everything around them blows up spectacularly and the spectral figure of St. Frederick of Mercury keens the unearthly sound of Give Me The Prize.

My money's on Our Lady. Never piss off a virgin with a broadsword.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:
...Ever heard of continuing revelation? Things change. Deal.

Actually, no, I haven't. Is that like an extended warranty contract where the dealer can change the terms of service?
No. The "contract" doesn't change, but our understanding of it does.

Oh, and the "contract" itself isn't scripture. Scripture is just the efforts by a bunch of guys a long time ago to understand what the "contract" means. I'm sure they got plenty of bits wrong, but overall they didn't do too bad a job. After all, they were only human...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, I've got 3-1 on Anglican2009 not posting again on this thread. Anyone fancy a flutter?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I'm with you on that one. S/he's a seagull - fly in, squark a lot, crap all over the place, and fly off again, never to be seen again.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What are you offering on never posting anywhere on the Ship, ever again?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<Sniffs air...idly flicks fluff off shoulder ...>

Bored and looking for sports this morning, Anglican2009?

Welcome to the Ship. [Smile]

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
What are you offering on never posting anywhere on the Ship, ever again?

9-2. My personal hunch is that here's another, unrelated diatribe in the offing.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Christians denying parts that traditionally belonged to their religion, because said religion is so outrageous not even Christians can accept it today!

Yes, that's what we Christians do.

You see, as I'm sure you're aware, God didn't actually zap the Apostles at Pentecost with the entire content of Christianity and the Whole Truth of Everything, and that Totality of Knowledge wasn't passed on Unchanging to their Episcopal Successors throughout all history.

Actually, most of us are fully aware that at any given time, Saint Anybody could well have been talking out of his backside. In fact, at any given time the whole Church could have been talking out of her backside. Because we're aware of this, discovering that we disagree with an obscure Saint is in fact a non-issue. Discovering we disagree with a great Saint, perhaps even St Paul is a bigger issue but not a deal-breaker. Most of us have our deal-breaking issues either at the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, or even further into the core than that.

Unfortunately, anybody that believes the One True Faith zapped into the Apostles version of Christianity will inevitably collapse the size of the Church down to a very small number of True Believers and then declare Christianity to be false on the grounds that they can't find anybody else who precisely agrees with what they happen to think is the truth. I think I tried to post something like this on the Ship, about six months before you actually went and proved my point.

So what we really do is, we take what our spiritual ancestors gave us. We look at the world. We look into our hearts when we can find the courage. We talk with each other. We discover our faith anew, because that's the only way to make it ours. And those of us who are still Christians discover that actually it's possible to be in the same Church and yet believe somewhat different things at times. I hope you get there one day because at the moment it's you against the whole world.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglican2009 said
quote:
End of.
which doesn't seem right for a Telegraph reading believer in revealed religion.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
comes in three's normally. next post he'll be linking to his personal blog about how the Anglican church faces a leftist take-over from people in revolutionary styled maniples and he knows this for sure cos he's a direct descendent of Jehosephat. Third post will be huge chunks of said blog plastered all over the boards and a plank walking will take place un-noticed by all and sundry.

Place your bets now.....

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To those that had issues with my post:

You have created Christianity according to your image and likeness. The liberals have created a liberal Christianity, the conservatives a conservative, the traditionalists a traditional, the fundamentalists a fundamentalist, the wackos a wacky, the moderates a moderate...

You don't want a harsh god? You get to de-deify that god. You don't want an open god? You get to insist on the harsh parts. You want a gay-friendly god? You play mental gymnastics with the bible and then you just get rid of the sayings that are incompatible with your views. You want hell for those you don't like? You get one. You don't want hell? It's all a misunderstanding. You don't want Christ to be God? It's no big deal. You don't want God? Even this is possible today in Christianity.

It's a big supermarket when everyone can buy what one wants. It doesn't matter the inconsistencies or the paradoxes. What matters is what one wants.

So, you have no problem dethroning holy texts and holy people, changing the faith of those long dead to fit your own sensitivities.

But do not expect others to take your Christian claims seriously.

It may well be a useful coping mechanism, it may satisfy psychological or even spiritual needs, but it's not the Truth and many of you already suspect that.

Enough with the paradoxes, the inconsistencies and the mysterious irrationalities. By all means, keep your DIY Christianities. But don't expect me to accept it as well.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016