homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The worst Bible verse (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The worst Bible verse
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican2009:
Please study the catechism of the BCP prayerfully and everything will become clear.

I've had a look but I can't find anything there about enslaving people or persecuting Muslims. I've probably just missed it - perhaps it's only in the Nordic version. Could you help and point it out for me please?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On that thing about the King James version being the CofE's greatest gift to English, wasn't it commissioned by King James (obviously)? Who was a teensy weensy little bit catholic, no? (and also a homosexual, which I would have thought wouldn't endear him over much to trollie)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Can I make a basic point? Jesus was not an Englishman. He may have spoken in foreign, but our own church has spoken to we Anglo Saxons in our own Nordic tongue and the KJV is the greatest gift the CofE has made to the English nation.

Hang on. It's been a while since I did linguistics, but isn't Anglo-Saxon a Germanic language, and not Nordic?

[ 10. September 2009, 21:06: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
Hang on. It's been a while since I did linguistics, but isn't Anglo-Saxon a Germanic language, and not Nordic?

Anglican2009, I hate you. You made me go and look things up and I dropped one of my dictionaries on my foot.

Anglo-Saxon and Nordic are both Germanic languages/language groups (because the Nordic group contains Icelandic, Faroese, Norn, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Elfdalian*) but Nordic is North Germanic and Anglo-Saxon is West Germanic and closely related to Old Frisian.

So they're related but not the same.

*brilliant. I want to learn it.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He may have spoken in foreign, but our own church has spoken to we Anglo Saxons in our own Nordic tongue

To quote the Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, "Whaddya mean 'we', white boy?"

And on a similar note, today the Episcopal Church celebrates the life and witness of the Blessed Alexander Crummell, priest, missionary, educator.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I the only one who thinks this guy is kind of funny? He's clearly got some model in mind that he is parodying.

My theory is that he's Simon and that this is some really elaborate set up. Has anyone ever seen Simon and Anglican2009 photographed together?

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Hint: Find a Bible written in English - you might find it helps your comprehension.

Sorry, Hawk, but there's a presupposition there ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Can I make a basic point? Jesus was not an Englishman. He may have spoken in foreign,...

may have? I didn't realize there was any doubt about that.
quote:
... but our own church has spoken to we Anglo Saxons in our own Nordic tongue and the KJV is the greatest gift the CofE has made to the English nation.
Anglo Saxon is a West Germanic language. The Nordic languages are North Germanic.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

- Posted      Profile for Anglican2009   Email Anglican2009   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Please study the catechism of the BCP prayerfully and everything will become clear.

I've had a look but I can't find anything there about enslaving people or persecuting Muslims. I've probably just missed it - perhaps it's only in the Nordic version. Could you help and point it out for me please?
You've been looking for the wrong thing. Who said we have to enslave people and persecute people? All I said is that the Bible urges Christians to accept social inequality and show Christian love to mollify any unequal arrangements. The Bible doesn't positively urge maximum inequality. But it does not counsel revolution either. You will always have the poor with you. No, we shouldn't persecute Muslims. But you are leaping directly from my support for a new immigration policy, preventing Muslims from immigrating to Britain, to claims that this amounts to persecution. We must keep our own culture, and that includes keeping England Christian, and specifically Anglican, and this is not persecution at all.

God confused the tongues at Babel. Who are you to try to reverse the dispersion of the nations instituted then?

Posts: 43 | From: Firmly ensconced in the closet | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

- Posted      Profile for Anglican2009   Email Anglican2009   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The catechism is still the official doctrine of the CofE and can be consulted at http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/baptism/catchism.html

The most important part is:

quote:
WHAT dost thou chiefly learn by these Commandments?
Answer. I learn two things: my duty towards God, and my duty towards my Neighbour.
Question. What is thy duty towards God?
Answer. My duty towards God, is to believe in him, to fear him, and to love him with all my heart, with all my mind, with all my soul, and with all my strength; to worship him, to give him thanks, to put my whole trust in him, to call upon him, to honour his holy Name and his Word, and to serve him truly all the days of my life.
Question. What is thy duty towards thy Neighbour?
Answer. My duty towards my Neighbour, is to love him as myself, and to do to all men, as I would they should do unto me: To love, honour, and succour my father and mother: To honour and obey the Queen, and all that are put in authority under her: To submit myself to all my governors, teachers, spiritual pastors and masters: To order myself lowly and reverently to all my betters: To hurt no body by word nor deed: To be true and just in all my dealing: To bear no malice nor hatred in my heart: To keep my hands from picking and stealing, and my tongue from evilspeaking, lying, and slandering: To keep my body in temperance, soberness, and chastity: Not to covet nor desire other men's goods; but to learn and labour truly to get mine own living, and to do my duty in that state of life, unto which it shall please God to call me.

Posts: 43 | From: Firmly ensconced in the closet | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:
On that thing about the King James version being the CofE's greatest gift to English, wasn't it commissioned by King James (obviously)? Who was a teensy weensy little bit catholic, no? (and also a homosexual, which I would have thought wouldn't endear him over much to trollie)

And Scottish, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
To hurt no body by word nor deed: To be true and just in all my dealing:

"deed ... dealing", of course, not including social injustices, which are a good and godly thing, and make the baby Jesus dance a tarantella

[ 11. September 2009, 00:34: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought King James wrote the Bible on his journey south from Scotland - my illusions are shattered!

Anyway, so much for this de temps en temps idea, it seems that the nutters are always with us. When do you think the CPN* will be round to give him his medication?

[*Community Psychiatric Nurse for the non Anglos around here]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
WHAT dost thou chiefly learn by these Commandments?

Well, Commandment 8 is touchy on the subject of Crusaders, particularly Crusader Trolls. That's why you're banned now.

-RooK
Admin

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah ... another chapter dribbles into history.

Or would-be chapter?

Dribble, anyway.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You've been looking for the wrong thing. Who said we have to enslave people and persecute people? All I said is that the Bible urges Christians to accept social inequality and show Christian love to mollify any unequal arrangements. The Bible doesn't positively urge maximum inequality. But it does not counsel revolution either. You will always have the poor with you. No, we shouldn't persecute Muslims. But you are leaping directly from my support for a new immigration policy, preventing Muslims from immigrating to Britain, to claims that this amounts to persecution. We must keep our own culture, and that includes keeping England Christian, and specifically Anglican, and this is not persecution at all.

God confused the tongues at Babel. Who are you to try to reverse the dispersion of the nations instituted then?

If Christianity is all about accepting the status quo and endorsing inequality and injustice, why did Jesus get crucified? If Our Lord simply said "Yeah, Rome is ok" why would the Romans execute him?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
um... AB? he's unlikely to answer.

Move along, dorkfaces, nothing to see here.

THREAD CLOSED ON ACCOUNT OF NO MORE TROLL TO TOY WITH

comet,
Hellhost

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016