homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The worst Bible verse (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The worst Bible verse
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rhetorical question (because we NEVER have any of those on the ship..):

Is there anyone here who thinks A2009 actually believes the stuff he is spouting?

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, yes, but I tend to take people at face value and am eminently gullible.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowan Atkinson is the devil.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

- Posted      Profile for Anglican2009   Email Anglican2009   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Bible on democracy:

quote:
Proverbs 19:10 Delight is not seemly for a fool; much less for a servant to have rule over princes.

Posts: 43 | From: Firmly ensconced in the closet | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And if you have a republic, there are no princes. Problem solved.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, so the random proof-texting and selective responses is giving it away. The only question is, sock puppet or bona-fide troll?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

- Posted      Profile for Anglican2009   Email Anglican2009   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Bible on "gender" equality:

quote:
Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.

Posts: 43 | From: Firmly ensconced in the closet | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican2009:
The Bible on democracy:

quote:
Proverbs 19:10 Delight is not seemly for a fool; much less for a servant to have rule over princes.

Adam Clark's Bible Commentary says:

I pity the king who delivers himself into the hands of his own ministers. Such a one loses his character, and cannnot be respected by his subjects, or rather their subjects. But it is still worse when a person of mean extraction is raised to the throne, or to any place of power; he is generally cruel and tyrannical.

Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

Samuel's response to multiculturalism ca. 3000 years ago:

quote:
And Samuel said, As thy sword hath made women childless, so shall thy mother be childless among women. And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal.1 Sa 15:33

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
DoS. That's who this monkey reminds me of. Similarly mangled posting style, similar trolly bigotry.

But DoS was so consistent in his erratic style, even on that financial website where he'd been posting for years. The personna didn't change.

Looking back on it, I don't think DoS was insincere at all, just a bit barking mad. If he was a troll, he gets my vote for Best Troll Ever.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<hums>
Trolling, trolling trolling.
Trolling, trolling, trolling... yee-haa

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
And Samuel said, As thy sword hath made women childless, so shall thy mother be childless among women. And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal.1 Sa 15:33

You're funny. And by funny I mean, completely barking mad.

So what are you suggesting by this quote, that it is ok to hack someone to pieces in reponse to multiculturalism? So sayeth the lord?

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:

God's response to multiculturalism ca. 3000 years ago.

quote:
Numbers 15: 15 - The community is to have the same rules for you and for the alien living among you; this is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You and the alien shall be the same before the LORD.
quote:
Exodus 22: 21 - You shall not wrong an alien, neither shall you oppress him, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

quote:
Numbers 15: 15 - The community is to have the same rules for you and for the alien living among you; this is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You and the alien shall be the same before the LORD.
quote:
Exodus 22: 21 - You shall not wrong an alien, neither shall you oppress him, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes, aliens who submitted to Jewish rule and did not practce idolatry were afforded equal rights. For that matter, Jews who worshipped golden calfs could be dealt with harshly by God/the prophets, let alone aliens. Your verses are an indication that aliens in the UK today who accept an end to multiculturalism and are prepared to assimilate should be afforded the equal protection of the law. Since when did I say otherwise?

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Assimilate to what, exactly?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never realized that the "B" in "BCP" stood for "Borg."
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Assimilate to what, exactly?

To British secularism? [Votive]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yet despite their disagreements, it was non-controversial in th 17th century that the Christian religion opposed homosexuality, opposed women ministers, and sought to maintain Europe as a Christian continent.

No it wasn't. Well, not about women ministers anyway. There were some, admittedly small, 17th century sects with women preachers and pastors.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
"Fuck" is a mild term compared to the hate speech propagated against homosexuals, women, and non-Christians spouted by evangelical bigots every Sunday.

Hey, careful there! Whatever Anglican2009 is, it doesn't seem to be an evangelical bigot. (And, as I said, probably not BNP either. Hilaire Belloc is a very unlikely hero for a BNP pawn - though there are some who like him)

For one thing A2 puts the magisterium of the church on earth over the plain words of the Bible. No True Evangelical (or true Scotsman) would do that. And I would hope that a real evangelical would know more about the Bible than A2 does. Alan Cresswell exposed the lack of understandiong of the old Law. The stuff a few posts up from here looks more like the result of a quick Google for proof-texts against democracy and so on that it does like anything springing from detailed knowledge (Anyone who actually knew the Bible well would have come up with better ones...) The vehement anti-women stuff, and the inherent anti-semitism, is more characteristic of Catholic bigots than Evangelical ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
The Christian religion=the teaching of the Church from AD33 to ca. 1960.

What happened in 1960? Did the Holy Spirit go on strike?
Independence for Upper Volta? Sarah Brightman was born? First episode of Coronation Street? Any of them could make a self-respecting Holy Spirit walk off in a huff.
From context I think he's thinking of Vatican II

This trolling sounds almost like a pre-Vatican II Roman Catholic who is trying to pretend to be a Protestant Fundamentalist but can't quite get the tone of voice right.

Though the lart post had overtones of British Israelitism, which no well-taught Roman Catholic could support for qa second. Actually no Protestant ought to be able to either, but some have. Its a fallen world.

And A2 goes on and on at us. So not a simple troll. One who cares. One who has a grudge against the "Ship of Twits". A bog-standard hit-and-run bigot would have spat on the floor and flounced off by now.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
You can’t just say that and make it true. You have to live your life like it. Do you eat shellfish? Do you sacrifice in the temple? Does Numbers 1: 5-16 have a place in your daily walk with God or indeed has it ever encouraged or helped you in your faith?

Er, um, yes, sort-of. Sorry.

Amongst other things it locates Nahshon the son of Amminadab as an adult in the second year of the Exodus, which is a vital bit of information for getting the chronology and timings of the stories of Exodus, Judges, Ruth, and Samuel right. Which for is serious literalists is important [Smile] And an awful lot of naive Sunday-School literalism gets wrong - they ignore the geneaologies, which are the real history, and jump to conclusions from a couple of misread references to the number of years that have passed and so typically end up thinking that the period of Judges is much longer than the Bible in fact says it was. As well as missing he interesting factoid that the last few chapters of Judges and the first few of Samuel are set in pretty much the same timeframe and in exactly the same places - by some strange literary coincidence the nome places of Saul and David [Smile] - and that the story of Ruth is only slightly earlier and also set in Bethlehem - so we have a little picture of pre-Kingdom society that all holds together (& was I believe intended to by the people who wrote it - which is, yes, a different claim from the claim that it is historically true rather than some post-exilic legends about the origins of the southern Kingdom and tribal divisions within it). And of course all that is a backdrop to the story of David, which is the literary centre of the Old Testament. As well as being a bloody good story. And very sad.

I like the geneaologies. Ruth, the Moabite, had two mothers-in-law.

One was Naomi of Bethlehem, to who she swore: "whither thou goest I will go, and where thou lodgest I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God; where thou diest will I die, and there will I be buried." The other one was Rahab, the Canaanite prostitute and brewer, who saved the Hebrew spies at Jericho (one of them probably Salmon, Nashshon's son and Boaz's father).

Isn't it worth knowing that?

I bet they had interesting family arguments at Passovers, weddings, bar-mitzvahs, and funerals. [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Bible on democracy:

quote:

The Bible on monarchy:
quote:
1 Samuel 8: 11-18
He said, ‘These will be the ways of the king who will reign over you: he will take your sons and appoint them to his chariots and to be his horsemen, and to run before his chariots; 12and he will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and some to plough his ground and to reap his harvest, and to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. 13He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive orchards and give them to his courtiers. 15He will take one-tenth of your grain and of your vineyards and give it to his officers and his courtiers. 16He will take your male and female slaves, and the best of your cattle and donkeys, and put them to his work. 17He will take one-tenth of your flocks, and you shall be his slaves. 18And in that day you will cry out because of your king, whom you have chosen for yourselves; but the Lord will not answer you in that day.’

I have to say it never ceases to amaze me that fundies of the Orange Lodge variety declare themselves to be pro-monarchy. The Deuteronomic History must be one of the most sustained anti-monarchic satires in the whole of world literature.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Does Numbers 1: 5-16 have a place in your daily walk with God or indeed has it ever encouraged or helped you in your faith?

Er, um, yes, sort-of. Sorry.

Amongst other things ...[snip]

Isn't it worth knowing that?

[Overused]

Always a pleasure and an education reading your posts. Thank you.

And I agree with you that A2 sounds more like RC than protestant. He starts off with Biblical literalism to back up his arguments but whenever they come under any kind of pressure he quickly retreats to the fall-back position of the unassailable authority of historical church tradition. I can't imagine any self-respecting protestant doing that with such verve and consistency. I don't know why he's calling himself Anglican2009 though. Perhaps it's supposed to be sarcastic?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
aliens who submitted to Jewish rule and did not practce idolatry were afforded equal rights. For that matter, Jews who worshipped golden calfs could be dealt with harshly by God/the prophets, let alone aliens. Your verses are an indication that aliens in the UK today who accept an end to multiculturalism and are prepared to assimilate should be afforded the equal protection of the law. Since when did I say otherwise?

So only those who submit to English rule and law should be allowed to stay? That's what muslims, immigrants etc are doing already. So far, so biblical. And people were stoned for worshipping other gods in those days but since we don't do that nowadays to Jews, Christians or Muslims (it's no longer part of the law - as well as the whole tricky "let he who is without sin..." thing), that part no longer applies. Again, so far, so biblical, no one is disobeying your strict interpreation of society as pictured in the Bible.

But then you add something that is certainly not Biblical. That they also have to accept an end to multiculturalism and assimilate. That's not in the Bible, that's just your own supremacist prejudices talking. Law is not culture, the two are not synonomous. Other cultures are never criticised by God (apart from their worship practices - which is a seperate thing) and people are never commanded to assimilate and become Jews in order to live in Israel. Regularly there is a distinction made between the Jews and the aliens that live among them. Throughout OT history this distinction is made, so there were always aliens living among them, they never assimilated, and they were never required to, just to obey the law. Do not add your own interpretations to the Bible. I thought that was something you were against.

Perhaps, by multiculturalism, you are actually referring only to worship practices. In that case you are arguing that anyone who refuses to worship your God and refuses to believe in your brand of Christianity (currently undefined) should be kicked out of Britain (and possibly even Europe). I think that would be impossible to do, and be very lonely for you if it could be done. (As well as the humanitarian concerns of forcibly expelling millions of people from their homes but I doubt those issues would bother you much.)

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
originally posted by Ken:

"Ship of Twits"

That reminds me - doesn't the Sermon on the Mount say something along the lines of "ye have heard it said 'thou shalt not kill' and the one who killeth his brother shall answer before the judges, but I say unto to you that the one who shall say unto his brother 'thou twit' shall be in danger of hell"?

As a literalist, I presume A2009 will want to be praying very hard for his eternal soul [Two face]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<psssst - I don't think he's actually interesting in hearing your opinions>

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

scratch that. It should have read:

<pssst - I don't think he's actually interested in hearing any other opinions but his own>

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken, while I bow indeed, before your undoubted erudition, could you please stop implying that anyone using this kind of nationalistic, supremacist language cannot possibly be an Anglican and must, therefore, be a crypto-papist if not an outright Romish Plotter? I, personally, have the misfortune to be acquainted with not a few Anglican adherents from whose mouths these sentiments would not seem out of place.

My money's on The Coiled Spring's smarter brother, the one who passed the 11+ and became a Matey.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

quote:
No it wasn't. Well, not about women ministers anyway. There were some, admittedly small, 17th century sects with women preachers and pastors.
There may have been small heretical sects that rejected the age-old teaching of the church.

Ken, I have read the entire Bible cover to cover. Who is vehemently anti-women or inherently anti-Semitic? While pressing all the leftwing buttons, your accusations are unfounded, and so un-Christian. It is not anti-women to believe in the headship. In fact, most women find the feminists to be boring, and they try to bully other women into following their agenda. The fact that the Jews were cast off by God does not mean Jews cannot be saved - you yourself quoted that there is no Jew or Greek - and so your claim that it is "anti-Semitic" to mention it is quite false. The Third Collect for Good Friday puts the point quite well.

Ricardus, you are right that the monarchical system always ends up being abused - take Liz 2's support for multiculturalism for example - but the problem is that most/all other political systems are flawed too.

Hawk: assimilation requires joining the Church of England for a start as well as many other things. When aliens were required to obey the law in ancient Israel, that law was not just a civilian law but a whole Shariah-style shebang. Aliens were not permitted to openly worship Moloch and sacrifice children to golden idols in ancient Israel. It was not multicultural in that sense.

It is odd how belief is equated with supremacism. Anyone who believes in anything, believes that is right and by implication that other choices are wrong. Of course we as as a society can do "our thing" and let other societies do "their thing", and then everyone is happy. There is no supremacism, but rather a conviction in the holiness of Christian culture. When people who claim to be Xtian then go on to say that asserting the truth of Xtianity is "supremacist", they merely prove they are Marxists and not Xtians to begin with.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
most women find the feminists to be boring,

Source?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
assimilation requires joining the Church of England for a start as well as many other things.

[Killing me]

well, that lets me out for a start. Pray, what are these *other things* of which you speak? Jumble Sales? Coffee Mornings? BNP membership??

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is not anti-women to believe in the headship. In fact, most women find the feminists to be boring, and they try to bully other women into following their agenda.
Really? Because I've always found it's patriarchs who are boring for the exact same reason.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[QUOTE]It is not anti-women to believe in the headship.

It is not necessarily anti women, (although your own reasons for doing may be) but it is potentially anti- human, and probably also without your realising it, anti-man because you are putting an uneccessary burden of responsibility on the basis of an arbritary condition, (gender) with no other qualifications for doing so than that.

Do you expect women to difer to the "superior judgement" of men? I am not going to generalise here, but headship is not something that can be earned by an imaginary qualification, leaders lead, and in some cases lemmings follow over cliffs. Wise women and wise men know when not to.

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

Men are more suited personality-wise to the headship, owing to their created qualities. Research shows an average 4-5 point IQ difference between men and women. Also, the female bell curve is flatter - there are fewer geniuses. Again, the Creator will be aware of this as this is how he created us.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you think he really believes he can persuade us to his point of view? Or is he holding forth out of an obligation to throw pearls before the swine irregardless of their porcinity? Or maybe just needs a hobby? What keeps him coming back?

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[QBAgain, the Creator will be aware of this[/QB]

[Killing me]

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Men are more suited personality-wise to the headship, owing to their created qualities. Research shows an average 4-5 point IQ difference between men and women.

My research shows I'm smarter than 98% of women and 99.9999% of men. It's my research, therefore it's true!

This must be why I'm more lesbian than straight these days....

[ 05. September 2009, 02:44: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Men are more suited personality-wise to the headship, owing to their created qualities. Research shows an average 4-5 point IQ difference between men and women.

My research shows I'm smarter than 98% of women and 99.9999% of men. It's my research, therefore it's true!

This must be why I'm more lesbian than straight these days....

Nah, you just like those bell-shaped curves.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is true.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BillyPilgrim:
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
... Rowan Atkinson is such a Pharisee. Hello Trolly McTrollerson. And the posting style is so familiar, too. Going to rack my pain-addled* brain to think who this reminds me of...

*fiskin' root-canals....

Makes a change from his being a druid, doesn't it?
Or Mr Bean.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:
Rowan Atkinson is the devil.

Yes, he did say Atkinson, didn't he. (I woke up in the middle of the night and realised that.)
A2009 doesn't appear to have a sense of humour, so I don't think it was meant in that way. So either

a) he thinks that Rowan Atkinson is Cantuar,
b) he doesn't know the difference, or
c) it was a clue that he's taking the piss and will soon fling off his cloak and go Mwaaaaahahah! Fooled you!

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Men are more suited personality-wise to the headship, owing to their created qualities.
Name three.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where's that crazy tiger avatar when you need someone to have it?

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
quote:
Men are more suited personality-wise to the headship, owing to their created qualities.
Name three.
Left testicle. Penis. Right testicle.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Research shows an average 4-5 point IQ difference between men and women. Also, the female bell curve is flatter - there are fewer geniuses. Again, the Creator will be aware of this as this is how he created us.

The Creator would be aware of that, if any of it were true.

First, IQ tests were not created by God, they are designed by human beings. And they are designed so that the mean for men and the mean for women are the same. No difference.

It is true that, on most major IQ tests, the bell curve for men and that for women is shaped differently. The curve for men is (appropriately enough) flatter than that for women. The standard deviation for women is somewhat smaller than that for men. As a result, men are indeed somewhat more likely than women to be geniuses. They are also somewhat more likely than women to be imbeciles.

Based solely on that, I think it's somewhat more likely that Anglican2009 is a man than a woman.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
assimilation requires joining the Church of England for a start

Would that mean I ought to join the Church of Scotland (I'm assuming you don't think I should get in the car every Sunday morning for the 2h drive to Carlisle to go to church).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican2009
Bigot
# 15061

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
assimilation requires joining the Church of England for a start

Would that mean I ought to join the Church of Scotland (I'm assuming you don't think I should get in the car every Sunday morning for the 2h drive to Carlisle to go to church).
No, the Episcopalian Church of Scotland, whose episcopal orders are continuous with the pre-Reformation church. Arguably the abolition of episcopacy in the 1680s was illegal. If in power, I would merge the Presbyterians and Episcopalians by Act of Parliament, and ensure the KJV and the BCP (possibly the Scottish book of 1637 and not the 1662 one???? Food for thought?) were the sole legal services north of the border.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

I've always seen myself as more of a besetter than a besettee.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, your argument is that some overblown sect in schism from the Historical Church™ is better than a different overblown sect that's equally schismatic. Based on what? Some personal interpretation of a low-quality translation of the Bible? (which, even in the KJV is noticably silent on whether the Church of Scotland should have Presbyterian or Episcopal structures).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I thought America was the citadel on the hill. Or shining city. Or something. I know there was a hill involved, and possibly some light. Europe can fuck right off, bunch a damn wannabes.

I am a little perturbed, though, that we have a brand new troll who is clearly crazier than a shithouse rat and not one of you fuckers told me.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
This trolling sounds almost like a pre-Vatican II Roman Catholic who is trying to pretend to be a Protestant Fundamentalist but can't quite get the tone of voice right.

Hey, the RCC isn't a convenient disposal zone for your extremists! Just ask Anglican2009 whether he thinks that the Anglican orders are valid. RC rad-trads and ex-RC sedevacantists generally do acknowledge Leo XIII as pope and Apostolicae Curae as normative.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erin--

Oh, we thought you'd like the pleasure of discovering It for yourself!

[Axe murder]

(quietly grovels away.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016