homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Surely the way we present the gospel has to be relevant to both groups? I know that you are not saying this, but I think we need PSA (alongside the other metaphors) to make it clear that sin is a serious issue. I am well aware that CV treats sin seriously but I'm thinking of the impact on the man / woman on the street. CV sometimes comes across to me a bit like this - "there was a deadly posionous snake outside your house, but its okay, Jesus killed it for you!" To which the reply from most people is, "Whatever! I wasn't aware of the danger beforehand and now you're telling me that the danger is gone now anyway!"

Now, I'm sure that I've caricatured your handling of CV but I'd love you to explain how CV stops being a 'drama enacted in front of me the spectator' and something that catches me up into God's wonderful salvation plan.

Another good post, John. I can see why you might find CV lacking in that sense. I think that I would say two things.

Firstly, I think that it is true to a certain extent that CV is a "spectators view of the atonement". My defence is that any substitutionary atonement understanding is, by its nature, subject to this limitation, PSA included. Where we get "caught up into it" is, imho, not at the crucifixion but at the resurrection.

Secondly, and I guess you will anticipate this, the difficulty you describe is predicated on seeing the Atonement as being primarily about forgiveness, rather than ontological change. From a subjective POV, I have no problem in meditating on the cross to say, "see how much He loves you. We ("you") did this to Him and He still forgives you". The difficulty that I would have is in seeing the cross as an instrument, rather than an example of forgiveness. Put basically, the cross demonstrates, rather than initiates, forgiveness. (For those who haven't been following this debate, I would add that the cross is essential for salvation, but salvation is not co-extendant with forgiveness, IMHO).

[ 19. June 2007, 09:23: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
I'd suggest that the nature of God is compromised if he freely fogives without the 'ransom' of the life of a perfect sacrifice. The concept of punitive is clearly a major issue for some. For me it is a by product, not a fundamental, It is just an abstraction to describe the process. Ransom, price paid, punishment... really all the same thing. So you don't like 'penalty' as a term? call it the necessary cost or price. A rose by any other name...

To me, the difference is of utmost importance.

The cost to God and his creation of us following our sinful instincts is that his creation has been messed up and the eschatological solution of a New Creation is needed. The cost of sin to creation is hatred, murder, exploitation, etc. And God weeps. The cost that Jesus paid for following God's way rather than the way of sin was his painful crucifixion.

The above is vastly, vastly different than saying that God demands the price of a perfect human life before he will even think of forgiving us.

The God in paragraph 1 weeps with his suffering creation. The god in paragraph 2 seems to care primarily that either: a) abstract philosophical ideas about justice and forgiveness fall neatly into place like a mathematical formula or b) about his own honour.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In a sense, the hunger and thirst is the filling; the filling is the hunger and thirst.

Sorry, Numpty, missed that line. Thought I'd better repeat it because - well, because it deserves repeating [Overused]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
quote:
I'd suggest that the nature of God is compromised if he freely fogives without the 'ransom' of the life of a perfect sacrifice. The concept of punitive is clearly a major issue for some. For me it is a by product, not a fundamental, It is just an abstraction to describe the process. Ransom, price paid, punishment... really all the same thing. So you don't like 'penalty' as a term? call it the necessary cost or price. A rose by any other name...

To me, the difference is of utmost importance.

The cost to God and his creation of us following our sinful instincts is that his creation has been messed up and the eschatological solution of a New Creation is needed. The cost of sin to creation is hatred, murder, exploitation, etc. And God weeps. The cost that Jesus paid for following God's way rather than the way of sin was his painful crucifixion.

The above is vastly, vastly different than saying that God demands the price of a perfect human life before he will even think of forgiving us.

The God in paragraph 1 weeps with his suffering creation. The god in paragraph 2 seems to care primarily that either: a) abstract philosophical ideas about justice and forgiveness fall neatly into place like a mathematical formula or b) about his own honour.

[Overused] [Overused]

Exactly, Seeker!

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
Surely the way we present the gospel has to be relevant to both groups? I know that you are not saying this, but I think we need PSA (alongside the other metaphors) to make it clear that sin is a serious issue. I am well aware that CV treats sin seriously but I'm thinking of the impact on the man / woman on the street. CV sometimes comes across to me a bit like this - "there was a deadly posionous snake outside your house, but its okay, Jesus killed it for you!" To which the reply from most people is, "Whatever!

And you think that the unchurched person on the street understands 'Jesus died to pay the price of your sins'? I have long-time Christian friends who don't understand that sound-bite and it's not because they are only pew-fillers or unconverted.

Of course, we must reach both groups. But I don't think that we can encapsulate the entire message of the Gospel into one sound-bite. I'd never call my theory of atonement 'the Gospel' and I think you may have 'slipped' and put your finger on why a lot of PSAers think that the rest of us are not Christians - because they think PSA is 'the Gospel'.

I actually think that adults are perfectly capable of processing a number of ideas. People are perfectly capable of understanding that 'grace' isn't the same thing as 'permissiveness' and that sin is serious.

We don't have to get all of Christian theology, Christology, soteriology and atonement theory into one sound-bite.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
The bit I'm not too sure about, though, is the idea that the motivator for repentance is the realisation of the need for forgiveness, rather than an appreciation of that forgiveness itself. I have no doubt that some experience that process in that order, but it wasn't so for me, and it does seem that there is biblical mandate for my experience (eg 1 John 4:19 and Romans 2:4 , which seem to suggest that it is the very act of God in forgiving us that leads to our repentance).

But, overall, I think we're in agreement about this. Sure I can't tempt you over to the dark side [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Surely it is impossible to appreciate having been forgiven (i.e. experience joy in Christ) unless a sense of one's need for that forgiveness has preceded it; even by a tenth of a second?

I do agree that the experience of joy in Christ should always be higher in our affections than the apprehension of guilt for sin: the focus is on the joy, but the sense of guilt is nonetheless indispensible. I think the reason that people often don't remember the sense of guilt that preceded the sense joy at their conversion is actually an evidence of grace rather than evidence of an absence of contrition. It's not that the contrition wasn't there; it's just that our joy in that moment literally obliterates (perhaps quite rightly) the sense of guilt that preceded it.

However, discussing other points of the ordo salutis might lead us away from the debate regarding the necessity of penalty in the atonement. I'll compose a post dealing with penalty as I understand it.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Jamat:

quote:
No sin can approach him. Consequently, He must find a way to reach us while simultaneously dealing with our sin, and ensuring his own nature remains untainted by said sin.
And yet when He was Incarnate in Christ He was able to let us approach Him, to reach us, to touch us, and yet remain untainted by sin.

quote:
Should he have compromised his own nature by forgiving without that 'satisfaction,' I believe the moral balance of the universe would have been irretrievably compromised.
That implies that the "moral balance of the universe" is something to which God must be made subject. Hello to the new God, "moral balance of the universe".

Good point. It's a problem. The way I see it is that the incarnation was a masking of the glory which only was evident in glimpses,at the transfiguration and maybe after the resurrection. Like your square circle a contradiction or paradox. Christ was God but not God in his 'manifest presence' as when Moses encountered him on Sinai. The incarnate Christ actually wasn't in 'fellowship' with humanity at any level that required him to reveal his essential nature.
The 'moral balance of the universe' is a bit pedantic I know. Trying to express that he contains an integrity within himself on which creation depends. Don't give me any breaks. If you can crack the consistency of my theology I'll change it.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God is the 'moral balanace of the universe'. It's not that he is subject to something he must obey; but God has stated that his primary desire is for his name to be hallowed. Anything less would make him an idolater.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
God is the 'moral balanace of the universe'. It's not that he is subject to something he must obey; but God has stated that his primary desire is for his name to be hallowed. Anything less would make him an idolater.

But what does "His name to be hallowed" mean? And why is a God who demands a penalty more hallowed than one who freely forgives?

My thinking through this goes like this:

We are told to be holy, as God is holy
We are told to freely forgive

Therefore, "Freely forgive" must be compatible with "be holy as God is holy", yes?

Consequently, I conclude that God's name is hallowed - i.e. considered holy, if God freely forgives.

What I particularly loved about Sunday's sermon was that it finally nailed a nagging question - why does God require unconditional forgiveness of us when He can only forgive the penitent? - and of course the answer is that God can - and does - forgive anyone, whether they accept that forgiveness or not.

Requiring a penalty makes that problem worse - God not only does not forgive the impenitent, but He can't even forgive the penitent without someone getting squished. God is made even less like we are required to be ourselves.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
The 'moral balance of the universe' is a bit pedantic I know. Trying to express that he contains an integrity within himself on which creation depends. Don't give me any breaks. If you can crack the consistency of my theology I'll change it.

I'm with you (and Numpty, though I confess I don't fully understand his last post) as to God being the moral balance of the universe, and that the nature of creation is inherent therin. What I dont understand, or cannot accept, is your view of the nature of that balance. To me, responding to sin with forgiveness is moral. In fact, it is the only moral response to sin. Even if you find it counter intuitive (which, clearly, you do, though I do not), surely Jesus insistance on it should make you question that intuition. Mercy, love, forgiveness, these are the moral foundations upon which creation is laid, and they come straight from the heart of God. The fact that creation has been corrupted, and we see around us judgementalism, indifference and retribution should make us turn back to see "it should not be so", rather than, "this is how it is, go deal".

To me, the life of Jesus precludes any notion that any solution to the problem of sin based on punishment is, in any way, righteous or just. Clearly, we see righteousness and justice very differently.

x-posted with Karl, who made the same point much more eloquently.

[ 19. June 2007, 10:15: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:

Probably being a bit thick here, but what was the process whereby you got to the last sentence from the first two?

Not that I'm disagreeing necesasarily, I am just not understanding.

Also, whilst I agree that God's desire is for His Name to be hallowed, why is that His primary desire. It sounds like something John Piper might say.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

I confess that it is precisely what John Piper says. I think that the ultimate motivation for God must be God. God, unlike creation, has no transcendent 'other' to look to: only himself. Of course, the way that God the Father does this self-regarding is by beholding himself in God the Son, who is the exact representation of his being.

As I understand it, the prayer of Christ in John's gospel was that he would be glorified and that we would participate in that glorification for all eternity. Now that is a very Christocentric (and therefore theocentric) prayer, is it not?

I suppose what I'm saying is that we often think that the primary motivation of God is anthropocentirc love. This, IMO, is not ultimately the case. God's love is ultimately and primarily a theocentric but infinitely hospitable love. In other words he invites us into his love for himself. God cannot love something more than himself because if the object of his love is anything less than himself he is an idolater.

This is why God wants his name to be hallowed. Holiness is the full entrance of our will into God's will. Or, rather, holiness is the entrance of God's will to be the death of our will.

Jesus prayed that he might be glorified by full entrance into the eternal will of God. I undertsand the glory that Christ desires to be the holiness (total sinlessness ) of God made manifest to us in him whereby we are invited into the eternal self-love of the Trinity.

God and his glory are not merely the blazing centre of our universe; God and his glory are the blazing centre of all things.

[ 19. June 2007, 11:07: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am well aware that CV treats sin seriously but I'm thinking of the impact on the man / woman on the street. CV sometimes comes across to me a bit like this - "there was a deadly posionous snake outside your house, but its okay, Jesus killed it for you!" To which the reply from most people is, "Whatever! [Razz] I wasn't aware of the danger beforehand and now you're telling me that the danger is gone now anyway!"

Now, I'm sure that I've caricatured your handling of CV but I'd love you to explain how CV stops being a 'drama enacted in front of me the spectator' and something that catches me up into God's wonderful salvation plan.

Then maybe a better way of putting it is that Christ gave us the weapons so that we can get rid of the snake ourselves. So His message to us is "Don't worry about the snake. Here is all you need to do to get rid of him."

But I think a better comparison would be that there is a whole army of snakes, which we couldn't possibly deal with. Christ rescued us from the snakes, and showed us how to deal with any snakes that might show up in the future.

Another comparison would be with a band of robbers or rebels who invade a kingdom or a city. They set fire to the houses in it, loot the inhabitants' goods, divide their booty between them and enjoy themselves boasting of their prowess. The act of redemption then can be compared to a king who attacks them with his army, takes away their booty and returns it to his subjects, and afterwards imposes order on his kingdom, making it safe from any similar attack.

Another comparison might be with packs of wolves or prides of lions breaking out from the forests and attacking flocks and herds, and people too. No one dares to leave the walls of their town to till the ground. The fields are bare and the townsmen likely to die of famine. Redemption can be compared with the killing and putting to flight of the wolves and lions, and the protection of fields and countryside from any further such attack.

Another comparison might be with a swarm of locusts eating all the vegetation, and with measures taken to block their further progress. Likewise with caterpillars in early summer which strip trees of their leaves, and thus of their fruit too, so that they stand all bare as at midwinter. Redemption is some means of killing them off, so that gardens are restored to their flowering and fruitful condition.

The danger from all of these things are real, as is the need for some powerful means of overcoming the danger. But we are not reduced to spectators, we're part of the plan. Christ gives us the tools to play our part, and the power to play it.

These are the kinds of issues that people all over the world deal with all the time. Christus Victor is in harmony with the way that things really work in the world, and with the ordinary means that people employ to deal with problems. It just needs to be understood that Christ's work was on a higher, spiritual level, and that the enemies are invisible ones, but nonetheless real ones.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

But what does "His name to be hallowed" mean? And why is a God who demands a penalty more hallowed than one who freely forgives?

<snip>

Requiring a penalty makes that problem worse - God not only does not forgive the impenitent, but He can't even forgive the penitent without someone getting squished. God is made even less like we are required to be ourselves.

I think Is 48.8-11 goes some way to explaining the link between the holiness of God's 'name' and God's glory.

The point I think is that God's primary motivation is for 'his own name's sake'. He wants creation to find its joy, satisfaction, and fulfilment in nothing less than himself. This is because God knows that nothing less than himself will satisfy. And, like it or not, that truth applies to God of God himself. Only God's glory can satisfy God's glory.

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Thanks for the helpful explanation, Numpty. I thought I descried Piper in there somewhere [Big Grin]

I'm quite happy with the idea that the Trinity is a pre-existing and pre-eminent community of love into which He calls us to participate.

Your link to Isaiah 48 does puzzle me though. It seems to me to be saying, "If it weren't for my holy nature, I would destroy you" - which seems rather to back up Karl's point that God perceives His holiness, his honour, if you like, as being most clearly revealed in mercy, and, by extension, in forgiveness. Far from His burning holiness leading Him (compelling Him?) to punish sin, it seems to lead Him to forgive it (at least according to those verses). Which is what Karl was saying, and with which I agree. And it sort of makes sense, if you believe, as I do, that the only way we can be truely released from sin and the sin cycle is by being forgiven. Punishment just doesn't work.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

I agree, it does suggest that. However, one of the misreprentations of PSA, I think, is the idea that the OT God is a smiting God and the NT God is a loving God because he's all punished out. That isn't the case, God has always been a God of restraint.

However, the passage actually says that God's anger is 'deferred' and 'restrained'. It doesn't say that it doesn't exist; it suggests that God's anger has a time delay on it.

What is does say, however, is that the deferment of God's anger is directly related to his passion for his name. As I said earlier I understand 'name' here to mean God's desire to be the central, indeed only, object of satisfaction, joy and fulfilment for his creatures and indeed for himself.

So, according to Isaiah, God was (or perhaps still is according to your perspective) deferring his anger because his ultimate desire is for all creation to be satifisfied and fulfilled in him and him alone. For this is how his name will be hallowed.

But, the passage also makes a direct link between God's anger and the possibility of being 'cut off'; God's anger is something that has the potential to cause separation from him.

Furthermore, the passage does make a direct link between the need for holiness (refining in verse 10) and the hallowing of his name (not being profaned in verse 11). It says that God refines his people in order that his name (see definition above) will not be profaned (made unholy). God's desire to have all creation united with him is in tension with the fact of its unholiness. There is a tension between God's name (his desire for union with creation) and our unholiness (our need to be cut off).

Verse 10 also says that 'affliction' is the means by which God refines. So, with that theological presupposition in place, it is possible, IMO, to move towards PSA in Christ on the cross as the point in history when God's anger ceased in its deferment. In Christ, on the cross, both the means of refinement (i.e. affliction) and the reason for the afflication (sin) meet. He became sin for us; he was afflicted for us. The affliction was being cut off from the Father.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We don't have to get all of Christian theology, Christology, soteriology and atonement theory into one sound-bite.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Why do we keep getting caught in these false dichotomies?

I have never tried to make PSA an exhaustive summary of the gospel. The fact is that I've got tired of putting that clarification in and so had assumed it on this occasion.

You have made the point, rightly, on many occasions that our view of the atonement will impact our behaviour and practice. I was merely trying to say that our models (NB plural [Biased] ) will naturally impact our own theology and our mission. How you get from that point to me walking up to someone in the street and using concepts like 'penal' 'substitution', or 'atonement' is beyond me...? [Confused]

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Wow, Numpty, what a densely (in the best sense of the word) argued post.

If I could just respond to the second part first ('cause I'm awkward that way [Biased] :
quote:
Furthermore, the passage does make a direct link between the need for holiness (refining in verse 10) and the hallowing of his name (not being profaned in verse 11). It says that God refines his people in order that his name (see definition above) will not be profaned (made unholy). God's desire to have all creation united with him is in tension with the fact of its unholiness. There is a tension between God's name (his desire for union with creation) and our unholiness (our need to be cut off).

Verse 10 also says that 'affliction' is the means by which God refines. So, with that theological presupposition in place, it is possible, IMO, to move towards PSA in Christ on the cross as the point in history when God's anger ceased in its deferment. In Christ, on the cross, both the means of refinement (i.e. affliction) and the reason for the afflication (sin) meet. He became sin for us; he was afflicted for us. The affliction was being cut off from the Father.

Firstly, I don't have any problem with God refining us (so to speak, except when it applies to me [Ultra confused] )so we can probably let that point rest as agreed.

Secondly, I'm not sure that we can argue back from God saying, "If I were not as I Am, I would destroy you" (summarised) to "a possibility of being cut off", rather, is not the natural sense, "because I am what I am, you will not be cut off." Why use such language - because it is important for us that we realise that our salvation is purely by gift.

Furthermore, I don't think that you have shown (from this passage, anyway) that our unholiness is a threat to (if you want to put it like that - I'm struggling for good words - compromises, that will do) His Holiness. Alison defines sin as "that which can be forgiven. I like that. Thus it is the very fact that we are in a state of needing forgiveness that gives God the opportunity to display before the nations His mighty worth. The sense is that dealing with sin in a punitive way would make God less than He is. Hence the "deferred wrath". The wrath is deferred because He wants to show a better way, revealed most completely in Christ. Before the Incarnation, the "nations" would be able with justification to point at God and say "You are no better than us: You don't have an answer to sin either." (I'm speaking figureatively, of course)
But the incarnation reveals, pace Romans 3:26, the true nature of Divine justice - the restorative justice of the resurrection.

As for whether or not Christ was separated from the Father on the Cross, I would say "yes, but the Father was not separated from Him". Jesus was separated, not because the Father could not look on sin, but because He shared, in that moment, our alienation from the Father. The barrier is all on our side.

Don't know if that's coherent enough to make any sensae to you?

Returning to the first half of your post:
quote:
I agree, it does suggest that. However, one of the misreprentations of PSA, I think, is the idea that the OT God is a smiting God and the NT God is a loving God because he's all punished out. That isn't the case, God has always been a God of restraint.

However, the passage actually says that God's anger is 'deferred' and 'restrained'. It doesn't say that it doesn't exist; it suggests that God's anger has a time delay on it.

What is does say, however, is that the deferment of God's anger is directly related to his passion for his name. As I said earlier I understand 'name' here to mean God's desire to be the central, indeed only, object of satisfaction, joy and fulfilment for his creatures and indeed for himself.

So, according to Isaiah, God was (or perhaps still is according to your perspective) deferring his anger because his ultimate desire is for all creation to be satifisfied and fulfilled in him and him alone. For this is how his name will be hallowed.

But, the passage also makes a direct link between God's anger and the possibility of being 'cut off'; God's anger is something that has the potential to cause separation from him.

By and large, I agree (even strongly agree) with what you are saying here, with the caveat about the possibility of seperation which I have already noted. I don't have a problem with the idea that God has an anger against sin, though whether that is reflected in an anger towards sinners may, I guess, be a bone of contention between us. I would hold that this anger results in forgiveness, since, even apart from its inherent positive nature, even pragmatically forgiveness is the only way of truely dealing with sin.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
You have made the point, rightly, on many occasions that our view of the atonement will impact our behaviour and practice. I was merely trying to say that our models (NB plural [Biased] ) will naturally impact our own theology and our mission. How you get from that point to me walking up to someone in the street and using concepts like 'penal' 'substitution', or 'atonement' is beyond me...? [Confused]

Sorry, but I don't actually know what you're saying here.

As I understand it, regarding CV, you said that if you tell the average person on the street that Jesus defeated sin, death and the power of Satan their response will be 'Whatever.'

I'm saying that if you tell the average person on the street that Jesus died to pay the penalty of their sins, IMO they will also say 'Whatever'.

I'm saying that even though my view of atonement (roughly CV plus moral example) doesnt put 'the price of sin' front and centre in the theory, I think I'm still capable of communicating the Gospel to someone who doesn't think they are a sinner. I will admit that probably my gifts lie more with 'category a' people, but it doesn't mean I'm going to look the other way when people sin because I'm afraid to say 'that's wrong in the eyes of God'.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As I understand it, regarding CV, you said that if you tell the average person on the street that Jesus defeated sin, death and the power of Satan their response will be 'Whatever.'

I'm saying that if you tell the average person on the street that Jesus died to pay the penalty of their sins, IMO they will also say 'Whatever'.

I was assuming that the way we communicate with others will be influenced by our view of the atonement, but I was not assuming that we would necessarily use the language of CV or PSA.

At the risk of starting a thread on Catherine Tate there are two sorts of 'whatever!' The first is one of dismissal due to lack of relevance, the second is rejection because of perceived lack of relevance. I think we need to carefully distinguish between the two.

As I said before I've never heard any 'popularist' presentations of CV so I was only thinking out loud. But the bottom line (for any atonement model) is that it shouldn't be rejected just because some people communicate it poorly.

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
At the risk of starting a thread on Catherine Tate there are two sorts of 'whatever!' The first is one of dismissal due to lack of relevance, the second is rejection because of perceived lack of relevance. I think we need to carefully distinguish between the two.

I think that the unchurched person on the street would say 'Whatever' to 'Jesus died to pay the penalty of your sins' because they wouldn't understand what you're talking about.

This might be yet another thread as I don't think that the 'Whatever' would be a rejection of either model so much as not understanding any of the 'Christian story' that goes behind it.

quote:
As I said before I've never heard any 'popularist' presentations of CV so I was only thinking out loud. But the bottom line (for any atonement model) is that it shouldn't be rejected just because some people communicate it poorly.

My 'sound bite' (and it's not necessarily CV - and is one I 'stole' from someone else) is 'God forgives you, therefore you are free to repent.' But that's more of a 'popularist sound-bite for Christians', I think.

I doubt that sound-bites work as witnessing tools anymore. They worked when the entire culture was steeped in Christian tradition.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Seeker963:
....God demands the price of a perfect human life before he will even think of forgiving us.

Are you suggesting I think this?
What God demands is a means by which he can reach his suffering creation. Christ did live a perfect life in that he lived by Moses' rule though not by the pharisaic detail derived from it. The issue though, is that because he was God incarnate, that he enabled God's justice and mercy to operate simultaneously. A perfect human life in itself wouldn't have done the trick. God's wrath if you like was turned from humanity onto himself yet paradoxically since Christ was in human form, he (God) was able to deem humanity punished. Every NT reference to Jesus' blood states or implies this as a fundamental mechanism that operates to enable restoration of fellowship between Man and God. The forgiveness is contingent not upon repentance though that is important since it is the basis on which we accept the offer of it; but really, forgiveness can't be separated from the application of the cross to our lives. If you accept that what we are forgiven is the evil we have committed but which God sees as borne by Christ. That we have a loving God is not in dispute, it is just that the expression of his love, in forgiveness,also maintains the integrity of his holiness.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
God's wrath if you like was turned from humanity onto himself yet paradoxically since Christ was in human form, he (God) was able to deem humanity punished.

Paradoxically indeed. Did Jesus ever make a statement to this effect, other than an oblique reference to "ransom"? Is this based on anything more than a particular view of Isaiah 53?

Fundamentally, what kind of God would behave this way? What does a punishment like this really accomplish?
quote:
Every NT reference to Jesus' blood states or implies this as a fundamental mechanism that operates to enable restoration of fellowship between Man and God.

I don't think that this is true. There are very many references to Jesus' blood and most of them imply nothing of of the kind. We are to drink His blood. We are to wash our robes in it. How is that about blood payment?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Jolly Jape, sorry for taking so long to reply. Life is busy. However, I do want to carry on with this debate. I hope it hasn't gone too cold. It is a very enjoyable exchange...

Jolly Jape said:

quote:
I don't think that you have shown (from this passage, anyway) that our unholiness is a threat to (if you want to put it like that - I'm struggling for good words - compromises, that will do) His Holiness.
Yes, I don’t think ‘threat’ really captures what I’m saying either. I wasn’t focussing directly on question of how the unholiness of humanity is reconciled to God’s holiness: although the conversation will move in that direction in all likelihood.

I was approaching the issue indirectly by raising the idea that God’s desire for creation to be satisfied in him above all things (for his name to be hallowed) is in tension with the fact that the people that God desires to satisfy do not want, by nature, to be satisfied in him: they are unholy. Holiness is not something we do, and then approach God saying, 'Look God! I'm holy, just like you said!' No, holiness is the result of God hallowing his name in us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So, I see it like this: God wants his creatures to glorify him by being satisfied in him alone (to be holy) but the creatures that he desires to satisfy are wilfully unholy and fundamentally opposed to the idea of being satisfied in him. This fundamental resistance to being satisfied in God is the root of all sin because the essence of sin is seeking pleasure and satisfaction in anything other than God to the exclusion of God.

I hold to the view God’s desire for his creatures to be satisfied in him alone always takes priority over his desire for the satisfaction of his wrath. However, I also believe that God’s desire for the eternal satisfaction of his creatures does not logically cancel out his commitment to penal justice. So, God’s willingness, even his burning desire, to overlook sin in his creatures without punishing them lays him open to a charge of inconsistency with his own nature.

In other words, God might be legitimately accused of breaking his own numerous promises to exact penal vengeance for sin. An accuser might conceivably point out that the deferment of God’s wrath means that the sins of humanity are essentially brushed under the carpet of the universe. God, in effect, has become complicit in a massive cover up by fulfilling only half of what he has promised. Yes, he has justified the unrighteous, but at the expense of justice.

quote:
The wrath is deferred because He wants to show a better way, revealed most completely in Christ.
I think saying that you've found ‘a better way’ in the sense of 'morally superior way' by abolishing God's wrath is sailing close to making an anthropomorphic value judgement against God's self revelation in Scripture: God is described as wrathful in Scripture, surely we cannot simply deny it or dilute it because it makes us uncomfortable?

quote:
I don't have a problem with the idea that God has an anger against sin, though whether that is reflected in an anger towards sinners may, I guess, be a bone of contention between us. I would hold that this anger results in forgiveness, since, even apart from its inherent positive nature, even pragmatically forgiveness is the only way of truly dealing with sin.
If the same logic were applied to obedience to God’s commands is would impossible to associate a person with their works. Why are we prepared to disassociate people from moral culpability for their sin, but unwilling to disassociate a person from their strivings after righteousness? Using this thinking it would be impossible for God to be pleased or displeased with a person but only with a person’s deeds, righteous or unrighteous. And that, JJ, is what I would call skating on very legalistic ice. God loves his children, not just their deeds: this is the essence of the the gospel of grace is it not? This thinking is, ISTM, anti-relational. And by the same token, is it not fair to say that God can be angry with, and indeed joyous over, people and not just their deeds? Surely the gospel is about the amazing disconnect between how God feels about us (love and wrath) and how God ultimately reconciles himself to us.

IMHO, a lot of the problems that arise concerning PSA comes from an overly man-centred conception of the gospel. God is the gospel, in all his love and wrath. The gospel is not ultimately about humanity; it is about God. God is the one who most desires our presence with him, and likewise God is the one who has promised us justice, and I believe that Scripture points to that justice as a penal justice.

Therefore the issue regarding justice is an issue of God's self-revelation and his total commitment to being the one who is just and the one who justifies.

This, to me, offers the only explanation of Romans 3:25-26 that works:
quote:
25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

[ 22. June 2007, 14:40: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Wow, Numpty. My head hurts! I, too, am very much enjoying this debate. It's difficult to know exactly where the lines of difference run between us, as I'm in agreement with much of what you say. But then there are other bits.... Anyway, my good lady is at choir tonight, so I'll try to respond more fully then.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

OK, here goes:

quote:
I was approaching the issue indirectly by raising the idea that God’s desire for creation to be satisfied in him above all things (for his name to be hallowed) is in tension with the fact that the people that God desires to satisfy do not want, by nature, to be satisfied in him: they are unholy. Holiness is not something we do, and then approach God saying, 'Look God! I'm holy, just like you said!' No, holiness is the result of God hallowing his name in us by the power of the Holy Spirit.
So, I see it like this: God wants his creatures to glorify him by being satisfied in him alone (to be holy) but the creatures that he desires to satisfy are wilfully unholy and fundamentally opposed to the idea of being satisfied in him. This fundamental resistance to being satisfied in God is the root of all sin because the essence of sin is seeking pleasure and satisfaction in anything other than God to the exclusion of God.

I think I could assent, more or less, to all of that. Some of the phraseology would not be quite my bag, but the essence of the argument, certainly, particularly the sentence to which I have added my emphasis. My only quibble is that I'm not sure that our unholiness is quite so wilful as you seem to assume. Whilst this may be true for Christians, I think that, for the bulk of humanity, that explanation assumes too much detail in the understanding of God. But, however you view it, we are basically in agreement here.

quote:
I ... believe that God’s desire for the eternal satisfaction of his creatures does not logically cancel out his commitment to penal justice. So, God’s willingness, even his burning desire, to overlook sin in his creatures without punishing them lays him open to a charge of inconsistency with his own nature.
Here we must part company. I see no inconsistency between a committment to restorative justice and His desire for His Name to be hallowed. Why do you think that this desire is compromised without a penal element? This is the bit that I understand least about PSA - why is "restorative justice" less just than "retributive justice". If we have the first (and I believe that, in the paschal event, including the resurrection, we do) then why do we need the second?

After all, when we see someone refusing to take a retriubutive action which would, by any account, be quite justified , but rather forgiving, we laud them for their Christ-like-ness, rather than berate them for the injustice of their position.

quote:
In other words, God might be legitimately accused of breaking his own numerous promises to exact penal vengeance for sin. An accuser might conceivably point out that the deferment of God’s wrath means that the sins of humanity are essentially brushed under the carpet of the universe. God, in effect, has become complicit in a massive cover up by fulfilling only half of what he has promised. Yes, he has justified the unrighteous, but at the expense of justice.

The same point, to me, applies. Of course, I would perhaps allow for more of a progressive approach to revelation than would you, so I probably feel I have more latitude to interpret OT passages about penal retribution, but the difference is one of degree only. I see the apprehension (ie what they saw) of the OT saints in viewing retributive aspects of the divine as being a shadowed version of what we see in fuller measure in Jesus. Hence the deferring of God's wrath - it is deferred to the time when the fulness of God's plan for dealing with sin is revealed in Jesus. After this revelation of divine restorative justice, how could anyone accuse God of not being both utterly loving and utterly committed to dealing with the problem of both individual sin and the marred nature which, left unchecked, leads to death.

Anyway, I have to go now, I'll respond to the rest of your post a bit later.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Jolly Jape said:
quote:
After all, when we see someone refusing to take a retriubutive action which would, by any account, be quite justified , but rather forgiving, we laud them for their Christ-like-ness, rather than berate them for the injustice of their position.
I think it's because we discern obedience to the command of God when a person leaves retribution to him alone; only God is without sin and therefore only God able to dispense penal justce without hypocrisy. In a sense it is like this: a person's sins will be punished in one of two possible ways. The locus of the first is in Christ on the cross; the locus of the second is in hell for eternity.

The point is this: if the offending party were to receive the deserts of their actions now, they would immediately be thrown into hell. But they aren't. This means that God's wrath towards that particular individual is either deferred until judgement or has already been atoned for on the cross. Either way, for us to take vengeance would create a situation of double jeopardy. Therefore, I think that the refusal to take retributive action is not Christlike in its essence; it is Christlike in the sense that it mirror's Christ's submission to the Father's authority as the only Judge. It is a display of patient submission, not emulation.

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

Numpty, I want to again ask the question that I asked some weeks ago; it may have been on another thread.

This all sounds really good from one perspective. But what I want to know is whether, when all these people are put in hell for not being Christians, I'm allowed to weep for them? Will God weep for them?

Or will God say to me, 'You're not allowed to weep in heaven because they got their just desserts.'

This is not a theoreticial question for me. My father is an atheist. He gave up on the idea of there being a God when he got drafted to Korea and was put in a company consisting of African-, Polish- and Italian-Americans (for transparency, he is Italian-American). Their job was to dismantle land-mines by hand and he saw many of his buddies killed instantly. They were TOLD that they were in this company because their lives were expendible. (Yep, 'cannon-fodder people' even existed in the late 20th century.)

So, anyway. He's an atheist. Whilst appreciating and totally agreeing with the Christian theology that we are all sinners who deserve God's wrath, my Father is a good man. Old and frail and ill now, but he's led a pretty good life. He has made my mother happy, he's been good to us as children and he's been a good citizen, volunteering for a number of charities.

So, he's going to hell because, like all of us he's a sinner and he's not acknowledged Jesus Christ as his Lord. Doesn't even believe in God. But, at least 'justice' will be done and he'll get what's coming to him.

I hope that God will allow me to weep in heaven. I hope God will weep.

I want to know how this all fits in with a God of Just Wrath. I want to know why my father has to go to hell in order for the world to know right from wrong?

Mostly, I want to know why I'm supposed to be happy to be in heaven with a God like this, assuming that God is as you say? Why on earth would I trust a God like this?

Your theory works great with Hitler. It doesn't work so good as a theory with my dad.

If anyone thinks that this post is overly emotive: (a) I will not get angry if you say my father is going to hell, but I do know all the arguements; (b) I think the question of 'Where has my dead loved one gone?' really is one of the most important questions of our faith.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
[quote] Numpty, I want to again ask the question that I asked some weeks ago; it may have been on another thread.

This all sounds really good from one perspective. But what I want to know is whether, when all these people are put in hell for not being Christians, I'm allowed to weep for them?

You will participate fully in God, and I suspect that the greater the pain is the greater the comfort will be. The affections that move the heart of God will be the affections that move your heart. You will experience perfect union with him and will experience the heart of Father. No pain and no joy that you have yet experienced, or anticipated, will compare with the joy and pain that you will experience in, and through, him. If God is prepared to share himself with you, why do you balk at sharing his grief?

quote:
Will God weep for them?
I don't know for sure, but if he does, and I suspect that he will, you will experience his heart and will share in his grief. This will be an experience which will at once be painful and joyful. We worship a crucified God; we've freely chosen participate in his heart. The pain is part of the deal. The question is this: is God sufficient for these things?

quote:
Or will God say to me, 'You're not allowed to weep in heaven because they got their just desserts.'
Heaven is union with God. There are no rules of conduct; only the glory of God. If grief is part of God's heart, then grief will be part of ours.

quote:
This is not a theoreticial question for me. My father is an atheist. He gave up on the idea of there being a God when he got drafted to Korea and was put in a company consisting of African-, Polish- and Italian-Americans (for transparency, he is Italian-American). Their job was to dismantle land-mines by hand and he saw many of his buddies killed instantly. They were TOLD that they were in this company because their lives were expendible. (Yep, 'cannon-fodder people' even existed in the late 20th century.)
I cannot assess the reasons why your Father does not believe; that's between him and God. However, I do know that God is just and will judge accordingly.

quote:
So, anyway. He's an atheist. Whilst appreciating and totally agreeing with the Christian theology that we are all sinners who deserve God's wrath, my Father is a good man. Old and frail and ill now, but he's led a pretty good life. He has made my mother happy, he's been good to us as children and he's been a good citizen, volunteering for a number of charities.
I can say comparable things about my own mother. However, I will not try to make God dance to my tune. If the tune chosen by God is to be melancholy, then so be it.

quote:
So, he's going to hell because, like all of us he's a sinner and he's not acknowledged Jesus Christ as his Lord. Doesn't even believe in God. But, at least 'justice' will be done and he'll get what's coming to him.[/qb
]Jesus is the one who talks about hell so much. If he hadn;t talked about it so much, I wouldn't be inclined to believe it myself. However, Jesus did actually say lots about it, so I am bound to accept what he says as true.

quote:
[qb]I hope that God will allow me to weep in heaven. I hope God will weep.

God will every tear from our eyes (Rev 21); this suggests to me that there will be tears in heaven but that God is able to console to the uttermost.

quote:
I want to know how this all fits in with a God of Just Wrath. I want to know why my father has to go to hell in order for the world to know right from wrong?
I do not know if your father has heard the gospel preached in power or not, so I'm not free to judge. However, each of us does have a responsibilty to lead our loved ones to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

quote:
Mostly, I want to know why I'm supposed to be happy to be in heaven with a God like this, assuming that God is as you say? Why on earth would I trust a God like this?
Your assumption (mistaken I think) is that heaven is primarily about your happiness. This is not the case. Yes, heaven is about eternal and complete satisfaction in God, but God is control of the terms not you. Are you prepare to lay aside your conception of 'happiness' in order that God can work greater joy in you that you could possibly ask for or imagine?

quote:
Your theory works great with Hitler. It doesn't work so good as a theory with my dad. ]If anyone thinks that this post is overly emotive: (a) I will not get angry if you say my father is going to hell, but I do know all the arguements; (b) I think the question of 'Where has my dead loved one gone?' really is one of the most important questions of our faith.
Our task is to trust in God. He is good and the oucome will be just. No tears will flow in heaven that God does not cry with, and indeed for, the bereaved. We will be in union with him. Or do we want God to sad while we play in the feilds?

[ 22. June 2007, 22:20: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Jolly Jape said:
quote:
I think it's because we discern obedience to the command of God when a person leaves retribution to him alone; only God is without sin and therefore only God able to dispense penal justce without hypocrisy. In a sense it is like this: a person's sins will be punished in one of two possible ways. The locus of the first is in Christ on the cross; the locus of the second is in hell for eternity.

The point is this: if the offending party were to receive the deserts of their actions now, they would immediately be thrown into hell. But they aren't. This means that God's wrath towards that particular individual is either deferred until judgement or has already been atoned for on the cross. Either way, for us to take vengeance would create a situation of double jeopardy. Therefore, I think that the refusal to take retributive action is not Christlike in its essence; it is Christlike in the sense that it mirror's Christ's submission to the Father's authority as the only Judge. It is a display of patient submission, not emulation.

Yes, but why do you not think it is Christ-like in essence? What do you think is so great about retributive justice, that can't be obtained by restorative justice, because, as far as I can see, restorative justice trumps it every time. The reasons you give are good ones as to why we should not seek retributive justice, but they say nothing about why you think that God should.

And, of course, I am wholly unconvinced that a moral good when appled to humanity is something quite different (even the opposite) when said of God.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

I don't think you are being emotive Seeker, it is a very fair question. What kind of faith cannot address the hard questions?

However, I'm not sure it is on thread - hell may or may not be an issue irrespective of PSA.

quote:
But what I want to know is whether, when all these people are put in hell for not being Christians, I'm allowed to weep for them? Will God weep for them?

This is not a theoreticial question for me. My father is an atheist.

I'm not trying to be funny here - but what is it exactly that you want to weep over? The sense of loss or the sense of injustice? (Or most likely - both)

I ask that question because you seem to be saying that it is unfair that a good man like him be sent to hell.

If so then this has little to do with PSA but a lot to do with theodicy - how/why does God allow suffering, particularly innocent suffering? Any theology that does not even attempt to give 'answers' to these questions is merely sticking its head in the sand. I don't say this as an attack of Christian theology, quite the opposite, even atheism has to attempt some kind of answer. Life is not fair. Bad stuff happens to good people, our very being cries out for an 'answer' to this. I'm not being flippant when I say that I put 'hell' in along with these issues - i.e. it is not a qualitatively different question.

quote:
If anyone thinks that this post is overly emotive: (a) I will not get angry if you say my father is going to hell, but I do know all the arguements; (b) I think the question of 'Where has my dead loved one gone?' really is one of the most important questions of our faith.

I know I still haven't answered your question but I'm wondering what it means to ask whether you will be able to cry in heaven? How can we speculate how we will respond to issues such as this emotionally in our resurrection bodies? I can see why it would be such an important question for you, but am not sure how anyone could really suggest an answer with any degree of conviction.
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Back to the fray:

quote:
quote:

The wrath is deferred because He wants to show a better way, revealed most completely in Christ.

I think saying that you've found ‘a better way’ in the sense of 'morally superior way' by abolishing God's wrath is sailing close to making an anthropomorphic value judgement against God's self revelation in Scripture: God is described as wrathful in Scripture, surely we cannot simply deny it or dilute it because it makes us uncomfortable?

Well, I don't think that I said I'd found a better (and, yes, morally superior) way, but rather that this is what Jesus reveals. The deferred punishment is deferred until the fuller picture of Jesus' life, death and resurrection shows what God's plan for dealing with sin is - that is, He forgives (which He always has) whilst at the same time He initiates, in the Resurrection, a new Creation in which sin is "unmade". I don't believe that this is a matter of an antropomorphic value judgement. To me it seems to be there quite plainly in Scripture.

quote:
quote:

I don't have a problem with the idea that God has an anger against sin, though whether that is reflected in an anger towards sinners may, I guess, be a bone of contention between us. I would hold that this anger results in forgiveness, since, even apart from its inherent positive nature, even pragmatically forgiveness is the only way of truly dealing with sin.

If the same logic were applied to obedience to God’s commands is would impossible to associate a person with their works. Why are we prepared to disassociate people from moral culpability for their sin, but unwilling to disassociate a person from their strivings after righteousness? Using this thinking it would be impossible for God to be pleased or displeased with a person but only with a person’s deeds, righteous or unrighteous. And that, JJ, is what I would call skating on very legalistic ice. God loves his children, not just their deeds: this is the essence of the the gospel of grace is it not? This thinking is, ISTM, anti-relational. And by the same token, is it not fair to say that God can be angry with, and indeed joyous over, people and not just their deeds? Surely the gospel is about the amazing disconnect between how God feels about us (love and wrath) and how God ultimately reconciles himself to us.

But I precisely do feel that the same principle can be applied for our strivings towards righteousness. I do believe that our sins cannot make God angry towards us just as I believe that doing His will cannot make Him love us more. Of course, our sins grieve Him. Of course, our faithful obedience makes Him rejoice. But His disposition towards us does not change. His wrath He reserves, I believe, for the sin itself, and what it does, not to Him, for sin cannot affect Him, but to us. This seems, to me, to make for relational, rather than anti-relational thinking.

I have italicised the sentences above, because this is the precise argument that I would use to reject, not affirm legalism. I can see you objecting to it because you think it is close to antinomianism, but not because it approaches legalism. Or maybe I just haven't grasped your point.

And, of course, I don't believe God needs to reconcile Himself to us. The need for reconciliation is wholly on our side.

quote:
IMHO, a lot of the problems that arise concerning PSA comes from an overly man-centred conception of the gospel. God is the gospel, in all his love and wrath. The gospel is not ultimately about humanity; it is about God. God is the one who most desires our presence with him, and likewise God is the one who has promised us justice, and I believe that Scripture points to that justice as a penal justice
Well that may be true of some, but I honestly don't think that's where the people here are coming from. Far from it - if I had to look for the single defining feature of PSA that I object to most, it would be that ISTM a doctrine which builds God in our own image, incapable of distinguishing what we are from what we do. Put frankly, I think it is insulting to Him, since it has Him behaving in a way that, at our best, humans are capable of surpassing. PSA seems, to me, the anthropomorphic doctrine.

And so, to bed! [Snore] [Snore]

[ 22. June 2007, 23:07: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

Numpty, I heard your answer. Thanks. I'm afraid that I can't 'do' a lot with it. I don't mean this in a nasty way, but it sounds like platitudes to me.

quote:
However, I'm not sure it is on thread - hell may or may not be an issue irrespective of PSA....

I was waiting for someone to say that. I think it has a lot to with 'theories of atonement'. And I think that theodicy has a lot to do with 'theories of atonement'.

quote:
I'm not trying to be funny here - but what is it exactly that you want to weep over? The sense of loss or the sense of injustice? (Or most likely - both)

Um, I want to weep over my father's eternal damnation. I would have thought that was obvious.

quote:
I ask that question because you seem to be saying that it is unfair that a good man like him be sent to hell.

I first want to remind you that I'm talking about the idea that 'there is no justice without retribution' which Numpty brought up again.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about in some senses.

As I understand it, PSA says 'Christ died to pay the price for the sins of individuals'. Salvation by grace in this scenario, comes from believing that this payment was necessary and made by Jesus. But there is no grace or mercy beyond that. Someone who was subjected to the horrendous human evil of war, and who consequently does not believe in God, will 'pay' for the destruction that that war caused by going to hell. And, in that way, we will know that God cares about justice.

Whilst the person who pronounced him to have an expendible life - provided he is a Christian - will NOT go to hell. And we will say that Christ paid the price of his sins. And, in that way, we will know that God cares about justice.

So, I'm supposed to go to heaven and rejoice in being with a God who sent my father to hell and who withdrew all possibility of mercy or grace when my Father died? And thus we all know that God cares about justice in eternity more than he cares about mercy or grace for those who were traumatised in this life. But what makes it all topsy-turvy is that some of the perpetrators of evil on earth will be in heaven and some of the victims of evil on earth will be in hell.

As I keep trying to point out. Raw, legal, justice devoid of compassion 'wins' in the PSA scenario - especially the PSA-only scenario. Mercy and grace cease to exist in eternity.

quote:
Life is not fair. Bad stuff happens to good people, our very being cries out for an 'answer' to this. I'm not being flippant when I say that I put 'hell' in along with these issues - i.e. it is not a qualitatively different question.

Can you expand that? Do you mean that it's 'hell' for a person to be subjected to evil at the hands of human beings? If so, we may be in agreement on this.

quote:
I know I still haven't answered your question but I'm wondering what it means to ask whether you will be able to cry in heaven?

Well, I think the picture of God that has been presented in this discussion is a picture of a being who cares more about abstract concepts than in living human beings. It's the picture of a God who doesn't particularly care that a man went through hell in wartime and consequently rejected God. The 'rules' for who is saved and who isn't saved must be obeyed or justice won't be served. So, to hell with him, mercy and grace being attitudes that no longer exist in eternity.

Whereas, I think the biblical God weeped and cared about human beings.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Seeker963 said:
quote:
Numpty, I heard your answer. Thanks. I'm afraid that I can't 'do' a lot with it. I don't mean this in a nasty way, but it sounds like platitudes to me.
OK. Although I'd be happy to expand on what I've said if it would help. However, it seems to me that you are currently looking for something to rail against, rather than seeking to understand a theologocal position that with which you have very real and very vaild objections. However, I think it would also be fair to say that you are railing against a faulty understanding of PSA and will not find the answers you are looking for without revisiting the presuppositions you have made about PSA. You see, your objections are not theological purely theological objections against PSA, they are moral objections against a picture of God that you find offensive.
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
OK. Although I'd be happy to expand on what I've said if it would help.

Well, if you feel that you have anything to add that might be helpful, feel free.

Only, I don't find you using the word 'railing' terribly helpful. I really don't much like it when people tell me what I'm thinking or what my motivations are. I could equally attribute bad motivations to those who do not agree with my views.

I do apologise if I've said anything that you have found offensive. I does happen when people of different views speak together. However, I do think that I've learned a lot in my discussions over the last many weeks with people.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
You see, your objections are not theological purely theological objections against PSA, they are moral objections against a picture of God that you find offensive.

I wouldn't like to speak for Seeker, but is it not possible that this "offensive" picture of God is the consequence demanded by an honest attachment to PSA. This is the point I am getting at by saying that PSA must be "read back" into the scriptures. Because someone holds to PSA, that may well colour how we read the scriptures relating to God's nature. If we were to imagine making the step into a world where PSA had never been thought of, would the picture of God we hold be substantially different. I believe that it is at least possible that it would.

Of course, I guess we all make a judgement based on what we perceive to be the whole message of scripture, and then check back into the detail to see where the agreements and where are the conflicts. This is as true for me as for, I guess, you. I ditched PSA (the model I was taught) because I found it out of sync with the scriptures, and especially with the Gospels, so I agree that what we believe about God is highly likely to impact on our understanding of the Atonement. That seems, to me, to be right and proper.

[ 23. June 2007, 19:05: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I ditched PSA (the model I was taught) because I found it out of sync with the scriptures, and especially with the Gospels, so I agree that what we believe about God is highly likely to impact on our understanding of the Atonement. That seems, to me, to be right and proper.

This is also my point of view. PSA ignores most of what Jesus says about salvation and the purpose of His coming, dwelling almost entirely on Paul's comparisons of Jesus' role to the OT sacrifices.

Christus Victor, by contrast, is illustrated on every page. Or so say I. [Biased]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
I ditched PSA (the model I was taught) because I found it out of sync with the scriptures, and especially with the Gospels, so I agree that what we believe about God is highly likely to impact on our understanding of the Atonement. That seems, to me, to be right and proper.

This is also my point of view. PSA ignores most of what Jesus says about salvation and the purpose of His coming, dwelling almost entirely on Paul's comparisons of Jesus' role to the OT sacrifices.

Christus Victor, by contrast, is illustrated on every page. Or so say I. [Biased]

Yep.

The conversation goes round and round, doesn't it? I guess I could say that those who insist on retributive justice are railing against the clear and plain teaching of Jesus on the matter of forgiveness. [Devil]

Anyway....none of this really advances the conversation.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Anyway....none of this really advances the conversation.

Sure it does. [Two face]

Not that the assertions by themselves do much. Sometimes, though, we ask each other to back up what we are saying, and get interesting results.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I was waiting for someone to say that. I think it has a lot to with 'theories of atonement'. And I think that theodicy has a lot to do with 'theories of atonement'.

I think it was JJ who insisted that hell was not relevant to the atonement debate. I was the one who originally wondered if it was relevant - interested to see that you agree.

quote:
As I understand it, PSA says 'Christ died to pay the price for the sins of individuals'. Salvation by grace in this scenario, comes from believing that this payment was necessary and made by Jesus. But there is no grace or mercy beyond that.

Thanks Seeker I think that strikes at the heart of the matter. And I can see now why you want to insist that forgiveness does not 'need' anything - for me 'there is no grace or mercy beyond that' caught my eye. You may not be saying this but it comes across as if Christ's death wasn't really necessary. If Christ's death wasn't absolutely necessary then why did he bother? Whether Christ died to allow forgiveness or defeat sin either way there can be no 'heaven' without his death and resurrection. I'm sure you don't mean it this way but to me to speak of grace and mercy outside of the work of Christ devalues that work.

quote:
Can you expand that? Do you mean that it's 'hell' for a person to be subjected to evil at the hands of human beings? If so, we may be in agreement on this.

It starts there but it includes 'death after life' too. I think that if you define hell in terms of this life only then your question of 'how can God send good people to hell' still remains ... exactly.

quote:
Well, I think the picture of God that has been presented in this discussion is a picture of a being who cares more about abstract concepts than in living human beings. It's the picture of a God who doesn't particularly care that a man went through hell in wartime and consequently rejected God. The 'rules' for who is saved and who isn't saved must be obeyed or justice won't be served. So, to hell with him, mercy and grace being attitudes that no longer exist in eternity.

I don't see it as rules. God offers us the free gift of his love and forgiveness. If we choose to reject him, what else is he supposed to do? Is it possible to talk of coerced grace and mercy?
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
I think it was JJ who insisted that hell was not relevant to the atonement debate. I was the one who originally wondered if it was relevant - interested to see that you agree.

Well, that's not quite what I think I said. What I actually said was that I was disinclined to bring the idea of universalism into the thread. In my experience, to do so would result in the thread being derailed. I think I would stand by that. It's no secret that I'm a "weak universalist" (ie, I accept the possibility of a "hell", but believe that it is, and will always be, empty). But, were I not, I would still believe that PSA is unscriptural and insulting to God. If I had to take a guess, I would bet that most universalists embrace some sort of CV understanding, but I don't think that it is invariably so.

quote:
And I can see now why you want to insist that forgiveness does not 'need' anything - for me 'there is no grace or mercy beyond that' caught my eye. You may not be saying this but it comes across as if Christ's death wasn't really necessary. If Christ's death wasn't absolutely necessary then why did he bother? Whether Christ died to allow forgiveness or defeat sin either way there can be no 'heaven' without his death and resurrection. I'm sure you don't mean it this way but to me to speak of grace and mercy outside of the work of Christ devalues that work.

I'm sure you're fed up of hearing me say this by now, but Christ's death and resurrection, it seems to me, is about fixing the consequences of sin, our ontological slavery to the decay of the law of sin and death. Did Christ need to die for us to be forgiven? No! Did He have to die in order that we could have eternal life? An emphatic yes!

quote:
quote:

I don't see it as rules. God offers us the free gift of his love and forgiveness. If we choose to reject him, what else is he supposed to do? Is it possible to talk of coerced grace and mercy?
It might not be possible to talk about coerced grace and mercy, but the assumption runs through this argument that we are free now to choose to accept or reject Him. Whilst I can accept this as a theoretical possibility, I suspect that it breaks down invariably on the particulars. How free is our "free will". Is mine, yours, Seeker's father's? I'm not so confident that we are "free" to that extent. We all are subject to our sinful nature, and, to a degree, to the sinful nature of others around us. Certainly, we have a choice to accept or reject Him. How "free" that choice is is, IMV, debateable.

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You may not be saying this but it comes across as if Christ's death wasn't really necessary. If Christ's death wasn't absolutely necessary then why did he bother? Whether Christ died to allow forgiveness or defeat sin either way there can be no 'heaven' without his death and resurrection. I'm sure you don't mean it this way but to me to speak of grace and mercy outside of the work of Christ devalues that work.

(Jumping in with my own two cents but looking forward to Seeker's response as well...)
Why is any death necessary? I think death, in general, is a necessary result-- perhaps a price, even--of life as defined in this universe. Those are the rules: we play the game.

The death of Jesus was absolutely necessary in the context in which he incarnated--a specific time, a specific place, a Jerusalem that kills the prophets and stones those sent to help it. He knew that his beliefs, actions, and example would get him killed. Those were the rules: he played the game. God, in Christ, loved us enough to still play the game.

To me, PSA sullies His name when it says those were God's rules.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Jolly Jape said:
quote:
His wrath He reserves, I believe, for the sin itself, and what it does, not to Him, for sin cannot affect Him, but to us. This seems, to me, to make for relational, rather than anti-relational thinking.
Are you really saying that God does not feel grief and anger at our sinfulness? Not just our sins, but the condition of heart out of which that sin emerges? Or are you using the word 'affect' in a different way than I understand it? Are you saying that sin and sins do not influence the way God feels? Do you really mean that God is not affected by sin? I know you can't be saying that because you also said this:
quote:
Of course, our sins grieve Him. Of course, our faithful obedience makes Him rejoice. But His disposition towards us does not change.
OK. So, you're saying that God's disposition (presumably love) does not change according to our sinfulness and our degree of actual sin. I agree, at least partially. However, I disagree with you if you're suggesting that its is only the works (either good or bad) with which God is pleased: what kind of Father is pleased with his child's work without being pleased who his child is? Likewise, what kind of father is wounded by his child's evil, without being wounded by who the child has become?

I do not think it is possible to make such a strict ontological separation between a person and their actions. A person who sins is a sinner: we are all sinners who sin. If it were we would not need to be saved from our sin. Also, I think that your model of the atonement focusses rather too heavily on sins, and not enough upon sin as a condition of the soul.

I also disagree with the notion that God cannot love a creature and be angry with that creature at the same time. I also disagree with the notion that God's love trumps his justice to the degree that he will impeach himself by offering the divine equivalent of indulgences. Is it not possible that God's judgement always causes him to suffer? Either on the cross in his Son, in his wrath at judgement? I don't think that PSA ever says that God enjoys the dispensation of his wrath; it simply asserts that God's wrath is coming.

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S: I think it was JJ who insisted that hell was not relevant to the atonement debate. I was the one who originally wondered if it was relevant - interested to see that you agree.
I don’t always have to agree with JJ. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S: Thanks Seeker I think that strikes at the heart of the matter. And I can see now why you want to insist that forgiveness does not 'need' anything - for me 'there is no grace or mercy beyond that' caught my eye. You may not be saying this but it comes across as if Christ's death wasn't really necessary. If Christ's death wasn't absolutely necessary then why did he bother? Whether Christ died to allow forgiveness or defeat sin either way there can be no 'heaven' without his death and resurrection. I'm sure you don't mean it this way but to me to speak of grace and mercy outside of the work of Christ devalues that work.
I have to confess that I don’t actually understand all that you’ve said above. And if it’s at the heart of the matter, then I would like to try to understand. I could – yet again – elaborate why I think Jesus had to die, but I’ll leave that out for now.

What I’d like to know is whether you are saying that there is no mercy or grace in God apart from the temporal act of crucifixion? It sounds to me as if you are saying that the crucifixion was God’s one-time act of grace and mercy, never to be repeated? Whereas to me, the crucifixion arises from the character of God. Do you disagree that ‘God’s nature is always and everywhere to have mercy?’ (Book of Common Prayer)

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S: It starts there but it includes 'death after life' too. I think that if you define hell in terms of this life only then your question of 'how can God send good people to hell' still remains ... exactly. .
Actually, I can agree with your last phrase! It’s just that ‘hell’ normally implies eternal, unbearable torture far worse than even the worst imaginable thing that could happen on earth.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S: I don't see it as rules. God offers us the free gift of his love and forgiveness. If we choose to reject him, what else is he supposed to do?
I hope we’ve established a good enough relationship for me to say that that sounds to me like a shrug of the shoulder which sounds pretty cold. My original question was ‘Does God weep?’ and the answer seems to be *shoulder shrug* ‘What for?’

Because compassion is important? Or maybe not?

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S: Is it possible to talk of coerced grace and mercy?
I have no idea what you mean by that? It’s possible to try to incorporate grace and mercy as feelings rather than as a legal act (crucifixion) into our theories of atonement and of God. It’s a struggle and a conundrum balancing mercy and grace and justice. But PSA seems pretty eager to make sure that justice is what is achieved and it says that in it’s opening gambit: ‘God must be just, so solve the problem of atonement for justice.’ Maybe I’m doing the same with grace and mercy but, to my mind, I try to incorporate a justice that actually seems meaningful whereas I see PSA having a dry, cerebral, legalistic view of grace and mercy.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
What I’d like to know is whether you are saying that there is no mercy or grace in God apart from the temporal act of crucifixion? It sounds to me as if you are saying that the crucifixion was God’s one-time act of grace and mercy, never to be repeated? Whereas to me, the crucifixion arises from the character of God. Do you disagree that ‘God’s nature is always and everywhere to have mercy?’ (Book of Common Prayer)

Great question, Seeker. It seems like a crucial one to me. God, I think, is always merciful.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
quote:
You may not be saying this but it comes across as if Christ's death wasn't really necessary. If Christ's death wasn't absolutely necessary then why did he bother? Whether Christ died to allow forgiveness or defeat sin either way there can be no 'heaven' without his death and resurrection. I'm sure you don't mean it this way but to me to speak of grace and mercy outside of the work of Christ devalues that work.

(Jumping in with my own two cents but looking forward to Seeker's response as well...)
Why is any death necessary? I think death, in general, is a necessary result-- perhaps a price, even--of life as defined in this universe. Those are the rules: we play the game.

The death of Jesus was absolutely necessary in the context in which he incarnated--a specific time, a specific place, a Jerusalem that kills the prophets and stones those sent to help it. He knew that his beliefs, actions, and example would get him killed. Those were the rules: he played the game. God, in Christ, loved us enough to still play the game.

To me, PSA sullies His name when it says those were God's rules.

Your last sentence is an interesting angle and I've never thought of it quite like that before.

I think I'd say he played 'the world's game' by 'God's rules'.

God's rules being that the Messiah was to be the Prince of Peace not the Messiah of violent retribution - which was what Jesus was tempted to be in the wilderness. 'Look Jesus, God's ways may be fine, but they are impractical. If you want to win, you have to play the world's game by the world's rules. Think about how you could bring about God's kingdom by just crushing these Roman invaders under your rule. Then everyone could be fed. Give up this nonesense about forgiveness and non-violence. That will only get you killed.' And it did.

Jesus had to die because he had to: a) be raised and b) set us an example of what God wanted from his discilples. In his resurrection we have evidence that Jesus conquered death and the sin and power of evil which killed him. Jesus death and resurrection ontologically changed creation (Don't think temporally, think John 1).

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I'm sure you're fed up of hearing me say this by now, but Christ's death and resurrection, it seems to me, is about fixing the consequences of sin, our ontological slavery to the decay of the law of sin and death. Did Christ need to die for us to be forgiven? No! Did He have to die in order that we could have eternal life? An emphatic yes!

You only picked up on half my sentence - I was trying to use a shorthand for 'any objective view of the atonement'. My point was that I think Christ's death was objectively necessary (which you seem to agree with). We return, I fear, to my question about CV as being a 'play which we watch but can't join in', IMHO. If we claim that Christ's death and resurrection was objectively necessary then I don't see what 'cash value' it has for those who do not believe that it was objectively necessary. I realise that the context is different but I do take seriously the warning from Hebrews 10: 29 - "How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

quote:

I agree that God's nature is always to have mercy, but that his ultimate expression of mercy is in the work of his Son. If we reject the ultimate expression of his mercy then we reject all his mercy. I do not view the death and resurrection of Christ as merely a temporal event, but as the defining point of history - Ephesians 1 encourages me to view all of God's dealings with humanity through the prism of Christ... and Ephesians 1 focuses particularly on what Christ's death and resurrection achieved.

quote:
I hope we’ve established a good enough relationship for me to say that that sounds to me like a shrug of the shoulder which sounds pretty cold. My original question was ‘Does God weep?’ and the answer seems to be *shoulder shrug* ‘What for?’

Because compassion is important? Or maybe not?

You misunderstood me. I was not removing the fact of God's tears for humanity. I do believe his heart breaks for us. However, as we engage in anthropomorphism, I was distinguishing between tears of helplessness and tears of compassion.

quote:
It’s possible to try to incorporate grace and mercy as feelings rather than as a legal act (crucifixion) into our theories of atonement and of God. It’s a struggle and a conundrum balancing mercy and grace and justice. But PSA seems pretty eager to make sure that justice is what is achieved and it says that in it’s opening gambit: ‘God must be just, so solve the problem of atonement for justice.’ Maybe I’m doing the same with grace and mercy but, to my mind, I try to incorporate a justice that actually seems meaningful whereas I see PSA having a dry, cerebral, legalistic view of grace and mercy.

I know you disagree but I think most of this comes down to rhetoric. As our discussion over God weeping demonstrates there are aspects of God's character that we are keen to keep and emphasise. It often comes across as if we only want one without the other, but (IME) that is a perception and not a reality.
universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For many, the idea of "blood atonement" no longer works. It is the position that maintains that God cannot forgive sin without the shedding of blood. This is not a new idea; for many pagan religions have maintained the same stance.

To look at the possible other meanings of the Cross of Christ:

God forgives sin simply because it is in His nature to do so. And yet we are left with the fact of sin and all its ugly ramifications as we hurt and destroy one another.
On the Cross, Jesus shows that He does not merely intellectualize about sin and redemption, but enters our story by entering into His own on the Cross. In a gospel of "attraction" rather than "promotion", God puts his money where his mouth is. He sets the example that we all will eventually follow. To gain God, to love and enjoy Him forever, we too must "die to self" that our new, resurrected lives may live in loving relationship with Him, forever. The Cross is God's ultimate example for us--given without engendering shame and guilt; but rather, love.

Therefore, St. Paul said, "I die daily." In Paul's example we see what we as Christians should do: Lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters in daily sacrifice. By doing so, we automatically begin to live in loving relationship with God.

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

An illustration I've heard used to explain why the shedding of blood and sin are so closely related in the economy of salvation goes like this:
  • The sight of violently shed blood for most people is a profoundly disturbing and nauseating experience. There is something ghastly and repulsive about the spectacle of spilt blood. Anyone who has seen Kill it. Cook it. Eat it would most likely agree with this assertion.
  • The sight of human sinfulness for God is a profoundly nauseating and disturbing experience. There is something ghastly and repulsive about the spectacle of human depravity. Anyone who has any insight into the depravity of which humanity is capable would most likely agree with this assertion.
  • The shed blood of Christ at the crucifixion is therefore, at least in part, a visual demonstration - an acted parable if you wish - of how revolting, how utterly nauseating, sin is to God. The sin of the world is so nauseating that its presence in Christ (a presence that Christ endured willingly) made him utterly revolting in the sight of Almighty God. So much so that he was utterly forsaken until the death of sin was acheived in the death of Christ.
That is PSA in all its bloody glory and I'm not ashamed to believe it.
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Universalist:
On the Cross, Jesus shows that He does not merely intellectualize about sin and redemption, but enters our story by entering into His own on the Cross. In a gospel of "attraction" rather than "promotion", God puts his money where his mouth is. He sets the example that we all will eventually follow.

Nicely put, Universalist. I agree-I think I was trying to get at something similar with my post about the rules of the game.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016