homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am painfully aware of how Christians (especially Evangelicals) fall out over every little thing. However, if there was one thing that was central to our faith is it not the work of Christ in his death and resurrection? I have no desire to court disagreement but if there was one thing 'worth' falling out over wouldn't it be this?

Well, I sort of take your point, except that no-one on either side of the argument has suggested other than that we are saved by His death and resurrection. What is the subject of debate is the precise mechanism by which the Paschal event acheives that end result, basically, how it works. Often, it seems like the whole conversation is punctured repeatedly by the anti-PSAers having to refute unfounded claims that they don't believe in the salvific efficacy of the Cross and Resurrection. I'm not talking about these boards as such - a degree of repetition is essential because, on long threads like this, new people are constantly joining the debate. I'm thinking more about RL encounters.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
...except that no-one on either side of the argument has suggested other than that we are saved by His death and resurrection. What is the subject of debate is the precise mechanism by which the Paschal event acheives that end result, basically, how it works. Often, it seems like the whole conversation is punctured repeatedly by the anti-PSAers having to refute unfounded claims that they don't believe in the salvific efficacy of the Cross and Resurrection.

Precisely. Oh, I'm going to give in and: [Overused]

For me, the 'soundbite' of the gospel is 2 Corinthians 5:19: In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. (Before anyone tells me to check out the context, my comments apply also to the context.)

For me, the ultimate aim of atonement is reconciliation between God and humanity. If those of us who are reconciled with God cannot reconcile ourselves with others in the church, then what have we got? We say that reconciliation is at the heart of what we believe and then we turn the Gospel message into 'I'm reconciled and you're not.' Ironic in the extreme and also tragic.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonny said:
quote:

I think you are right in that the second is clearly an ad hominem attack, and thus I'm not trying to defend it. However, the first is not as clear cut as it first appears. Whether this is a primary or secondary matter is the moot point. If you are conevo and believe that a certain atonement mechanism is how you are saved then to attack that mechanism is (so it may feel) to attack one's very salvation. I know that you are not saying that but I'm trying to show what it can feel like to some. If I'm saved by (what I believe) the Apostles teach about the cross then if I'm wrong my entire salvation is undermined. Again, you have to enter the mindset of those whose definition of Christianity is 95% doctrine.

You seem to be explaining why it is almost impossible for anyone (whether atheist, non conevo Christian or agnostic) to debate rigorously with a conevo for a prolonged period of time. Apparently many / most feel that their very reassurance of salvation is being questioned. You seem to be describing a very brittle faith and explains a great deal. (It quite possibly explains why so many conevos are extremely defensive.) You almost seem to be doing Richard Dawkins job for him.

Speaking for myself a faith that can't ask difficult questions of itself is one that I can't hold to.

Luigi

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
You seem to be describing a very brittle faith and explains a great deal. (It quite possibly explains why so many conevos are extremely defensive.) You almost seem to be doing Richard Dawkins job for him.

Speaking for myself a faith that can't ask difficult questions of itself is one that I can't hold to.

Luigi

Now it is my turn to become frustrated! [Biased]

No one seems to be engaging with conevos as conevos. Some do have very brittle faith and therefore your comments are valid for them Luigi - but could equally apply to many across Christendom of all types.

I'll try again. [Confused]

If you define salvation in strict doctrinal terms (as opposed to the 'hand waving' of CV - I'm not trying to be disparaging here because I like a lot of CV but I'm struggling to find another way to put it [Big Grin] ) then any deviation from the definition is going to raise hackles. JJ may be right in some of his criticisms of conevos but it is hardly surprising that they are defensive when what they hold dear is felt to be under attack.

If you feel that, in and of itself, writes conevos off then so be it.

But before you dismiss them completely here is something to chew over from another angle:

Throughout the gospels and the NT there is a repeated warning about 'false teachers' and 'false prophets'. The common NT theme is that such false teachers are found within the church. I think there is a case for saying that it is one of the dominant themes of the NT.

Now, bearing that warning in mind, how do we put it into practice? I would argue that there are two extremes to avoid. The first is a kind of McCarthyism that attacks anyone 'not like us' as a liberal out to sell our faith down the river. However, the other (equal danger), is to (in the name of intellectual debate and discussion) refuse ever to denounce any teaching as 'false'.

I am certainly not saying that 'attacking PSA makes you a false teacher'. Again, I fully concede that conevos are far too ready to 'get out the matches'. I'd rather put the question the other way round - how do you put into practice the many, many NT warnings about false teachers within the church?

[ 26. June 2007, 20:27: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonny S said:
quote:
I'm not trying to be disparaging here because I like a lot of CV but I'm struggling to find another way to put it ) then any deviation from the definition is going to raise hackles. JJ may be right in some of his criticisms of conevos but it is hardly surprising that they are defensive when what they hold dear is felt to be under attack.

If you feel that, in and of itself, writes conevos off then so be it.

I think I am phrasing what I say a little more carefully than you are recognising.

IME almost all humans I've ever met don't like what they hold dear to be attacked.

However that doesn't mean that when most people I know have their beliefs strongly questioned, they complain that they are victims of an ad hominem attack. Put simply most people, IME, can distinguish between an ad homin and one where the beliefs they hold are strongly challenged.

You have stated that because of the way that conevos think / believe, when you attack what they believe you are attacking them personally. (Or at least they are likely to percieve you as attacking them personally.) This puts evocons in a very different position to most other people I know.

Finally your question about false teaching is an interesting one and one that I think has to start with the question of what false teaching is? If we cannot discern false teaching then how can we deal with it? If we cannot for the reasons you have already mentioned challenge vigorously an established way of thinking without it being dismissed as an ad hominem attack then how can we work out what false teaching is? Or do we just go along with the particular group we have fallen in with?

Luigi

[ 26. June 2007, 21:38: Message edited by: Luigi ]

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I am phrasing what I say a little more carefully than you are recognising.

Quite possibly.

quote:
IME almost all humans I've ever met don't like what they hold dear to be attacked.

Sure.

quote:
You have stated that because of the way that conevos think / believe, when you attack what they believe you are attacking them personally. (Or at least they are likely to percieve you as attacking them personally.)

If I did then I wasn't being clear. More like 'because of the way conevos think you are attacking something very personal to them, something they hold dearly.'

quote:
Finally your question about false teaching is an interesting one and one that I think has to start with the question of what false teaching is? If we cannot discern false teaching then how can we deal with it? If we cannot for the reasons you have already mentioned challenge vigorously an established way of thinking without it being dismissed as an ad hominem attack then how can we work out what false teaching is? Or do we just go along with the particular group we have fallen in with?

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I think we've lost the context of the overall thread. I'm not asking for attacks on PSA to be dismissed as ad hominem - as you rightly say, how can we discern the truth other than through robust debate? I was merely trying to give a window into why many conevos react so strongly to attacks on PSA. The doctrine of the atonement is very dear to them... although I think I have realised that in so doing I've, in part, derailed the discussion!

Better we focus on CV and models of atonement, me thinks! [Hot and Hormonal]

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
No one seems to be engaging with conevos as conevos.

I'm not sure what you'd consider 'engaging with conevos as conevos.'

I actually think saying 'Well, they are genuinely convinced that they are correct and they will see any expression of disagreement as an attack on them and their theology, so I can't engage with them' to BE 'engaging with conevos as conevos'.

I'd like to know what you think 'engaging with conevos as conevoes' looks like in the real world.

You're suggesting that there is some easy way to do this, that if we get the right Zen we'll have the right mind-set and everything will be easy. Speaking from experience, I don't actually think that there is any easy way to do it. You just bite your tongue, try not to explode into tears of anger or frustration and, whatever you do, you don't share your problems, hopes or dreams with anyone. And then one day you say something you actually think is perfectly innocent and you realise that you've just hurt everyone in the room. And that that's the day you decide that it's OK to leave rather than struggling to 'be where God has put you.'

quote:
I'd rather put the question the other way round - how do you put into practice the many, many NT warnings about false teachers within the church?

I just try to follow the teachings of Jesus as best I can. And I keep my eyes and ears open for theologies that sound an awful lot like what 'the world thinks.' One of those theologies is 'If all our enemies are destroyed, then peace will reign.' And I remember that Jesus said the wheat and the chaff will grow together and that it's very probable that sometimes I will be chaff, but sometimes I will be wheat. I remember that judgement belongs to God and that is is merciful and gracious as well as just. (Which is why I don't like a theology that nevers mentions mercy or grace even if it says it believes in them but just doesn't talk about them. And why I'm suspicious of people who are eager to jump in and talk about punishment anytime someone mentions grace.)

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

I think we cross-posted here. So I'll just pick up on one thing. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
I just try to follow the teachings of Jesus as best I can... And I remember that Jesus said the wheat and the chaff will grow together and that it's very probable that sometimes I will be chaff, but sometimes I will be wheat...

I'd agree with you up to a point - Jesus, Paul, John and Peter all talked about people who were false teachers, not just ideas.
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have engaged with conevos as conevos. It's one reason I am disturbed by PSA.

This, There's a fellow named Chick who makes comic books, apparently they're very popular. Lovely imagery.

"Accept MY interpretation of the blood of Christ or be punished for eternity!!!" is a more common message than you might think. I understand that you might not wish to be associated with con-evos of this ilk, but they're a pretty noisy bunch in the areas I've been.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
God's wrath if you like was turned from humanity onto himself yet paradoxically since Christ was in human form, he (God) was able to deem humanity punished.

Paradoxically indeed. Did Jesus ever make a statement to this effect, other than an oblique reference to "ransom"? Is this based on anything more than a particular view of Isaiah 53?

Fundamentally, what kind of God would behave this way? What does a punishment like this really accomplish?
quote:
Every NT reference to Jesus' blood states or implies this as a fundamental mechanism that operates to enable restoration of fellowship between Man and God.

I don't think that this is true. There are very many references to Jesus' blood and most of them imply nothing of of the kind. We are to drink His blood. We are to wash our robes in it. How is that about blood payment?

Sorry to differ Freddy but read Heb 9,10,11 without CV glasses. The blood is clearly a ransom, a payment, a price and yes, a penalty.
You could always talk to Paul when you get to heaven but I'd say that all NT writers from whom we get our systematic theology, Paul, Peter, and the Hebrews writer Took the ransom sacrifice aspect of Christ's death as one of the absolute fundamentals of the Gospel they preached. Heb 9:15 "A death has taken place for theredemption of transgressions that were comitted..."

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by Jamat:
Sorry to differ Freddy but read Heb 9,10,11 without CV glasses. The blood is clearly a ransom, a payment, a price and yes, a penalty.
You could always talk to Paul when you get to heaven but I'd say that all NT writers from whom we get our systematic theology, Paul, Peter, and the Hebrews writer Took the ransom sacrifice aspect of Christ's death as one of the absolute fundamentals of the Gospel they preached. Heb 9:15 "A death has taken place for theredemption of transgressions that were comitted..."

Or were they just trying to spin the crucifixion to fit the cultural context of a Hebrew audience so that they would understand it in their sacrificial culture?

Did Paul use the same language when he was preaching to the gentiles?

Speaking as a gentile by bloodline, I'm not sure why I should have to take part in this whole "blood sacrifice" thing.

Even the ancient Hebrews didn't expect the Gentiles to offer up sacrifices. Why should we have to accept them?

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mirrizin:
quote:

Or were they just trying to spin the crucifixion to fit the cultural context of a Hebrew audience so that they would understand it in their sacrificial culture?

Did Paul use the same language when he was preaching to the gentiles?

Speaking as a gentile by bloodline, I'm not sure why I should have to take part in this whole "blood sacrifice" thing.

Even the ancient Hebrews didn't expect the Gentiles to offer up sacrifices. Why should we have to accept them?

The Ephesians epistle is just as insistent on the sin substitution, ransom thing and that was to gentile audience Eph 2:13 "..in Christ jesus you... have been brought near by the blood of Christ ..."
The fundamental thinking of Paul was the reconciliation of the Jewish scriptures with the advent of the messiah and what was signified, as well as what it meant behaviour-wise. Essentially, it was the 'new creation' that became possible through the inner transformation of our motives which was his push. However, it is like describing the taste of chocolate cake without eating it if you haven't really experienced it. I know that Christ has changed me..still a work in progress of course but there have been fundamental motivational changes which can only be supernatural. I say this not to judge anyone else, but to account for my conviction about Christ, sin, the blood, the ransom and all that. To address your point, it is a change that transcends culture and the NT writers were not into cultural spin. They were bursting with the energy of a truth revealed through Christ's advent, death and resurrection.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

I don't think it's possible to write anything without some cultural spin. I would think that any contemporary pastor worth his or her salt would know a lot about communicating the bible through modern language and idiom. You can only speak to people from what they understand and hope to bring them to a new understanding.

That doesn't mean that the language used must be taken literally for all times and all places, IMO. We're not in a culture that practices animal sacrifice anymore, and most people see that as an improvement.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fundamental thinking of Paul was the reconciliation of the Jewish scriptures with the advent of the messiah and what was signified, as well as what it meant behaviour-wise. Essentially, it was the 'new creation' that became possible through the inner transformation of our motives which was his push. However, it is like describing the taste of chocolate cake without eating it if you haven't really experienced it. I know that Christ has changed me..still a work in progress of course but there have been fundamental motivational changes which can only be supernatural. I say this not to judge anyone else, but to account for my conviction about Christ, sin, the blood, the ransom and all that. To address your point, it is a change that transcends culture and the NT writers were not into cultural spin. They were bursting with the energy of a truth revealed through Christ's advent, death and resurrection.
But you see, Jamat, I could just have readily posted what you have just written. No, really. Without my fingers crossed. And so could Mirrizin, or John, or Seeker963, or Numpty or any other of the posters here (dunno, there may be a couple of atheist lurkers, but, hey..). We all have testimonies to the transforming power of Christ. We all bear witness to the truth and efficacy of the Paschal event. I could just as easily say that my experience of Christ is proof that Christus Victor (i.e. the belief that I hold dearly) is "the authentic Gospel ™". No-one is doubting your sincerity or your faith, but you must also realise that others have sincerity and faith too, but they have, prayerfully and sincerely, come to a different opinion on how the Atonement works; one which they think is a better match to the Biblical data, and which has much to offer to the church.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
Jolly Jape said:

quote:
I think I could go along with that. In your terms, I would say that Christ is not just the locus of our sin, but of all sin on the cross, making the distinction between sin(s) and the sinful nature. I would certainly agree with the scorpion analogy, and I think that that reinforces the difference between sins, and the consequence of sin.

I have no difficulty at all with the concept of the Father and the Son willing together that the Son should die in order to defeat death.

Great! Now here comes the but... But, how does this model of the atonement, which I accept as perfectly valid and doctrinally 'sound' account for the following verses:
quote:
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Yes, I acknowledge that in this passage it is Christ's resurrection life that 'saves', but nonetheless it does say that it saves from God's wrath.

It is worth noting the parallelism in these verses. Justification is linked with blood; reconciliation is linked to death; enmity is linked with reconciliation; reconciliation is effected by death; salvation is from God's wrath and so on.

OK, here goes:

Firstly, Romans 5:9 does not actually have the words "of God" in it at all. A better translation would be "how much more shall we be saved from wrath (or, from indignation) by Him". The "the ...of God" is actually an interpretation inserted by the translators. The meaning is clearly that Christ is saving them from something unpleasant, but whether that is the purposeful, deliberate punishment that would be inflicted by God were it not for Christ is not demonstrated by this verse.

Furthermore, verse 10 says we were God's enemies, rather than that God was our enemy. We are the antagonists, it is humanity that is angry with God (in that we want to pursue anger, resentment, bitterness, party spirit, strife, etc etc etc against the warp and weft of the kingdom of God. All this rather suggests a Girardian interpretation of the texts, especially as we know that self-destructiveness apart from Christ is a theme that is turning over in Pauls mind as he writes (cf Rom. 1:24)

But, be that as it may, the main point is that Paul has set up an argument that all are guilty before God, and he now goes on to show that God isn't going to exact retribution upon them, but rather that God's way of bringing justice is demonstrated by the restoring work of Christ (that Romans 3:26 again). To say that God would be justified (to human eyes) in exacting punitive justice upon humanity is hardly controversial. It does not necessarily follow from that that He has any intention of doing so.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I think we cross-posted here. So I'll just pick up on one thing. [Big Grin]

quote:
I just try to follow the teachings of Jesus as best I can... And I remember that Jesus said the wheat and the chaff will grow together and that it's very probable that sometimes I will be chaff, but sometimes I will be wheat...

I'd agree with you up to a point - Jesus, Paul, John and Peter all talked about people who were false teachers, not just ideas.
From James Alison's The Joy of Being Wrong:
quote:
Being wrong can be forgiven: it is insisting on being right that confirms our being bound in original murderous sin.
in a similar vein from Cornelius Plantinga's Not the Way It’s Supposed to Be
quote:
The heart of sin is…the persistent refusal to tolerate a sense of sin, to take responsibility for one’s sin, to live with the sorrowful knowledge of it and to pursue the painful way of repentance.
These are not aspersions I'm casting on others. They are statements of truth about how I believe that I and all Christians must live. It's not the case that our deeds are forgivable but our intellectual ideas about God are unforgivable. It's not the case that we are going to be perfect all the time. Sometimes we just have to 'tolerate a sense of sin' whilst simultaneously disapproving of our own sin and praying for the grace to do better. (A tough middle-line to walk, I'll grant you.)

We are all wrong about things and the joy of being wrong is that God will forgive us. I believe he'll forgive us both when: 1) The truth is revealed to us and we repent and when 2) In sincerely seeking Christ and turning our lives over to him we continue to hold some Wrong Ideas™ about him. That goes for me and it goes for those who disagree with me. There I stand and I can do no other.

I still want to know what you think 'engaging with conevos as conevos' looks like in Real Life? You throw out these provocative statements and then don't follow up on them. Are you ready to answer this question?

===

Alison, James. 1998. The Joy of Being Wrong: original sin through Easter eyes. New York: The Crossroad Publishing Company, p. 195.

Plantinga, Cornelius. 1995. Not the Way It’s Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin. Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans Publishing Co, p. 99.

[ 27. June 2007, 10:52: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by Seeker963:

I still want to know what you think 'engaging with conevos as conevos' looks like in Real Life? You throw out these provocative statements and then don't follow up on them. Are you ready to answer this question?

The natural meaning of the phrase is that he would like to engage with conevos on their own territory of biblical interpretation. I don't know if that's what John means though. The problem is, though, that biblical interpretation often means their biblical interpretation, which is somewhat circular with their beliefs.

Still not convinced that arguing with even a person's most dearly held beliefs is ad hominem, though.

[ 27. June 2007, 11:04: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
The natural meaning of the phrase is that he would like to engage with conevos on their own territory of biblical interpretation. I don't know if that's what John means though. The problem is, though, that biblical interpretation often means their biblical interpretation, which is somewhat circular with their beliefs.

Riiiight. Let me try to record what I've heard. I've heard 'Conevos genuinely believe that to diagree with their view of atonement is to be a non-Christian, so it's natural for them to call you a non-Christian.' I agree.

Then I heard 'Since Conevos genuinely believe that there is one way to salvation and it's their understanding, any expression of a different idea will be seen not only as a different idea but also as a personal attack on them.' I actually agree that many conevos see it that way although I disagree with the statement myself.

So it appears to me that the only way to engage with a conevo on the conevo's grounds is to convert to their way of thinking or just try not to speak with them about theology. There is no other way of engaging them as far as I can see. [Confused]

How do you talk to someone who thinks that having a different idea is a personal attack. And doesn't condoning this attitude give an awful lot of credence to those who think that religion is dangerous?

--------------------

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So it appears to me that the only way to engage with a conevo on the conevo's grounds is to convert to their way of thinking or just try not to speak with them about theology. There is no other way of engaging them as far as I can see. [Confused]

It's true of a lot (but by no means all) conservative evangelicals in my experience.

The sad thing is, I've never cracked the conundrum of how one does actually engage. Still no idea.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
It's true of a lot (but by no means all) conservative evangelicals in my experience.

Agree. In the context of this conversation, I think we're talking about the people who I'm supposed to understand and be more sympathetic to. The ones who perceive different theological ideas as potentially being a personal attack.

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
The sad thing is, I've never cracked the conundrum of how one does actually engage. Still no idea.

Nor me. [Frown]

--------------------

universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Numpty:

"The sin of the world is so nauseating that its presence in Christ (a presence that Christ endured willingly) made him utterly revolting in the sight of Almighty God. So much so that he was utterly forsaken until the death of sin was acheived in the death of Christ.
That is PSA in all its bloody glory and I'm not ashamed to believe it."

Universalist:

As if God didn't make us to be sinners in need of God! You really think God is surprised and revolted at our destructive antics and moral failures? Jesus never seemed to be. Though He often spoke his mind about "sin", He always balanced this out with Hope, and a way out...Never did He leave a person hopeless and "revolted" at the thought of himself.

What is the "Good News" anyway? Karl Barth said the Gospel is "about God, God Himself and only God..." And yet we have made it all about US and our choices!

The fundamentalist part of the Church over the years has devised futile ways and doctrines by which it feels people can be motivated to God. These include: Terrorizing them with threats of "hell" and shaming them with guilt trips regarding their awfulness.

George MacDonald, on the other hand, posited a different kind of "good news":

"It is impossible for anyone to see God as He is, and not love him".

How much has the church attempted "Lift up Jesus" in such a way as to encourage people to fall in love with God? And how long must we insist that people can be threatened, brow beaten, scared and shamed into "accepting Jesus"?

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by universalist:
George MacDonald, on the other hand, posited a different kind of "good news":

"It is impossible for anyone to see God as He is, and not love him".

Sounds right to me!

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
I don't think it's possible to write anything without some cultural spin. I would think that any contemporary pastor worth his or her salt would know a lot about communicating the bible through modern language and idiom. You can only speak to people from what they understand and hope to bring them to a new understanding.

That doesn't mean that the language used must be taken literally for all times and all places, IMO. We're not in a culture that practices animal sacrifice anymore, and most people see that as an improvement.

You are right, of course. As someone said, there is no escape from contingency. Cultural contexts are indeed unavoidable. The truth of the Gospel has not in its essentials bowed to them over 2000 yrs nevertheless; would you agree?

Animal sacrifice is rendered unnecessary since Christ, the ultimate sacrifice died once and for all Heb 9:12"..he entered the holy place once, for all..." Nothing to do with culture, it is a point of logic derived from a PSA view of the atonement.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
But you see, Jamat, I could just have readily posted what you have just written. No, really. Without my fingers crossed. And so could Mirrizin, or John, or Seeker963, or Numpty or any other of the posters here (dunno, there may be a couple of atheist lurkers, but, hey..). We all have testimonies to the transforming power of Christ. We all bear witness to the truth and efficacy of the Paschal event. I could just as easily say that my experience of Christ is proof that Christus Victor (i.e. the belief that I hold dearly) is "the authentic Gospel ™". No-one is doubting your sincerity or your faith, but you must also realise that others have sincerity and faith too, but they have, prayerfully and sincerely, come to a different opinion on how the Atonement works; one which they think is a better match to the Biblical data, and which has much to offer to the church.
I do not doubt your sincerity. Doesn't mean I back your theology.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
You could always talk to Paul when you get to heaven but I'd say that all NT writers from whom we get our systematic theology, Paul, Peter, and the Hebrews writer Took the ransom sacrifice aspect of Christ's death as one of the absolute fundamentals of the Gospel they preached. Heb 9:15 "A death has taken place for the redemption of transgressions that were comitted..."

That's the way I see it. Paul was using imagery that fit with the Hebrew scriptures. But for that matter, most cultures, even worldwide, understood sacrificial imagery.

A more relevant question is what the Old Testament means by "ransom" and "redemption." The prophecies of redemption usually portray it as something that takes place by force rather than payment:
quote:
Deuteronomy 7:8 The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you from the house of bondage, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 9:26 Your people and Your inheritance whom You have redeemed through Your greatness, whom You have brought out of Egypt with a mighty hand.

Nehemiah 1:10 Now these are Your servants and Your people, whom You have redeemed by Your great power, and by Your strong hand.

Isaiah 50:2 Is My hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? Indeed with My rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness;

Jeremiah 32:21 You have brought Your people Israel out of the land of Egypt with signs and wonders, with a strong hand and an outstretched arm, and with great terror;

Jeremiah 50.34 Their Redeemer is strong; The LORD of hosts is His name.
He will thoroughly plead their case,
That He may give rest to the land,
And disquiet the inhabitants of Babylon.
35 “ A sword is against the Chaldeans,” says the LORD,
“ Against the inhabitants of Babylon,

Joel 2:11 The LORD gives voice before His army, For His camp is very great; For strong is the One who executes His word. For the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; Who can endure it?

Isaiah 49.25 Thus says the LORD:
“ Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away,
And the prey of the terrible be delivered;
For I will contend with him who contends with you,
And I will save your children.
26 I will feed those who oppress you with their own flesh,
And they shall be drunk with their own blood as with sweet wine.
All flesh shall know
That I, the LORD, am your Savior,
And your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.”

Isaiah 59.16 He saw that there was no man,
And wondered that there was no intercessor;
Therefore His own arm brought salvation for Him;
And His own righteousness, it sustained Him.
17 For He put on righteousness as a breastplate,
And a helmet of salvation on His head;
He put on the garments of vengeance for clothing,
And was clad with zeal as a cloak.
18 According to their deeds, accordingly He will repay,
Fury to His adversaries,
Recompense to His enemies;
The coastlands He will fully repay.
19 So shall they fear
The name of the LORD from the west,
And His glory from the rising of the sun;
When the enemy comes in like a flood,
The Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him.
20 “ The Redeemer will come to Zion,
And to those who turn from transgression in Jacob,”

The imagery associated with the redemption of Israel is violent and military. The people who are liberated by force are then called "the ransomed":
quote:
Isaiah 35:4 Behold, your God will come with vengeance,
With the recompense of God;
He will come and save you.” ….
8 A highway shall be there, and a road,
And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness.
The unclean shall not pass over it….
But the redeemed shall walk there,
10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return,
And come to Zion with singing,

They are ransomed in the sense that any liberated people is ransomed by the blood of the soldiers who gave their lives to free them.

It also could be said that the lives of the enemy are the ransom:
quote:
Isaiah 43:3 For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place.
So in one sense it is the evil-doers who will be made to pay. In another sense the ones who fight for righteousness pay for freedom with their blood.

So Jesus will ransom us from hell, and He will do it by His blood, but He will do it like a soldier who overcomes the enemy, who liberates us by His efforts and destroys the enemy:
quote:
Hosea 13:14 “ I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave, I will be your destruction! Pity is hidden from My eyes.”
How is He ransoming us? By fighting for us.

This surely is paying a price, but the price is not payed to God or the devil. It is the price of effort and sacrifice for a noble cause.

This same imagery is carried forward in the gospels. God overcomes the evil one, and takes back what belongs to Him by force:
quote:
Matthew 12:29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. But when a stronger than he comes upon him and overcomes him, he takes from him all his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoils.

Matthew 21:41 “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease his vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him the fruits in their seasons.
42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:
‘ The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD’s doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes’?
43 “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it. 44 And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder.”

While the God of the New Testament is in no way violent, the imagery of the forceful destruction of evil is carried over from the Old Testament to the gospels.

I don't think that it is right to read Hebrews 9, 10 and 11 without keeping this imagery in mind. I wouldn't call this "CV glasses." The imagery is too pervasive and consistent throughout Scripture. PSA is more selective. So it ends up misconstruing the meaning of terms such as sacrifice, blood, ransom, redemption, deliverance, and even words like intercession, the concept of the bearing of sins, and penalties.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by universalist:
[quote]You really think God is surprised and revolted at our destructive antics and moral failures?

Surprised? No. Revolted? Yes.

quote:
Jesus never seemed to be.[/qb]
I don't agree. Jesus called the entire crowd evil on at least one occasion.

quote:
[b]Though He often spoke his mind about "sin", He always balanced this out with Hope, and a way out...
Agreed.

quote:
[b]Never did He leave a person hopeless and "revolted" at the thought of himself.

I disagree. The Gospels consistently portray those that are revolted at themselves as the ones who have hope. Peter is a great example of this. He was aware of his wickedness and felt uncomfortable in Jesus' presence. However, he also grew to love Christ and to realise that Christ loved him despite his depravity.

quote:
What is the "Good News" anyway? Karl Barth said the Gospel is "about God, God Himself and only God..." And yet we have made it all about US and our choices!
I couldn't agree more! I therefore refer you to my previous posts on this thread!

quote:
The fundamentalist part of the Church over the years has devised futile ways and doctrines by which it feels people can be motivated to God.
I don't think fundamentalists 'feel' very much at all. Emotions are far to 'subjective'. However, I disagree with what you are saying for one simple reason: you clearly don't understand how Calvinists understand conversion.

quote:
[b]These include: terrorizing them with threats of "hell" and shaming them with guilt trips regarding their awfulness.[b]
Hell is supposed to be scary and guilty people should feel guilty but it's not the whole picture by a long stretch.

quote:
[b]And how long must we insist that people can be threatened, brow beaten, scared and shamed into "accepting Jesus"?

I don't think 'accepting Jesus' is a remotely biblical way of talking about conversion, so I can't comment.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Jolly Jape said:
quote:
OK, here goes:

Firstly, Romans 5:9 does not actually have the words "of God" in it at all. A better translation would be "how much more shall we be saved from wrath (or, from indignation) by Him". The "the ...of God" is actually an interpretation inserted by the translators. The meaning is clearly that Christ is saving them from something unpleasant, but whether that is the purposeful, deliberate punishment that would be inflicted by God were it not for Christ is not demonstrated by this verse.

John Stott rejects the conculsion that you draw concerning the absence of 'of God' in this, and other, verses. This is because the words 'of God' have also been added in order to make other verses in Scripture say, 'the grace of God' but no-one argues that grace isn't the purposeful and deliberate love of God. Sauce for the angry goose is sauce for the loving gander, surely?

One of the problems here, I think, is that critics of PSA bring the a priori view that love and wrath are polar opposites. Advocates of PSA do not make that contrast. For a critic of PSA there is an either/or distinction to be made. For me, as an advocate of PSA, it's much more a both/and engagement with the two attritutes in question.

Jolly Jape's argument is more subtle and, it has to be said, more compelling. However, it still, IMO, requires a little too much creative reinterpretation of the plain meaning of the word 'wrath' in the NT Scriptures. It smacks a little of 'explaining away' and 'getting around' texts, rather than being a discovery of biblical truth. However, I'm not silly enough to believe that my reading is the 'plain' reading of the text! So, I'll have to keep thinking about this one.

However, I do wonder if this sentence might help clarify the PSA position concerning the Father's 'pleasure' (see the BCP Eucharistic Prayer!) in the crucifixion. John Piper writes:
quote:
God's pleasure is not so much in the suffering of the Son, considered in and of itself, but in the great success of what the Son would accomplish in his suffering.
Yes, God the Father ordained the suffering; Gethsemane is proof enough of that. But the satisfaction that God derived in forsaking the Son was the anticipation of future victory not in the savouring of temporal pain.

[ 28. June 2007, 13:31: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
John Piper writes:
quote:
God's pleasure is not so much in the suffering of the Son, considered in and of itself, but in the great success of what the Son would accomplish in his suffering.
Yes, God the Father ordained the suffering; Gethsemane is proof enough of that. But the satisfaction that God derived in forsaking the Son was the anticipation of future victory not in the savouring of temporal pain.
But that still leaves us with the question: 'Why is the Father pleased?'

Isn't the whole point of PSA to give the answer: 'Because a price must be paid and the Father won't forgive until that price is paid?'

Piper's statement actually makes total sense in my model of atonement, which includes a moral example.

But PSA just comes back to the wrath of the Father, doesn't it?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because that's genuinely how I understand it.

--------------------

universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The term, "wrath of God" needs to be cleared up.

Objectively, there IS no wrath of God. The wrath of God exists only in the mind of the unbeliever, put there by Christians who do not understand the character of God. This has taken the form of "official" church doctrine and creed, sometimes in abusive sermons. "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" by JE comes to mind...

The objective of the true Gospel about God is to reveal Him to others, thus subverting this misconception of a wrathful God. Once unbelievers understand the goodness of God, His true character, and the reach of his salvation, the concept of an angry God simply dissipates and the problem is solved.

What could be better good news than to reveal to all that they are loved, forgiven and accepted by God already? This is done right always in a Spirit of reconciliation to which St. Paul referred. The "ministry of reconciliation" is driven by a spirit of reconciliation, not "wrath". God is already conciliated to sinners. The gospel is an invitation to then be REconciliated to Him. Paul understood this ministry to be such good news as to state, "God is no longer counting sin against anyone" (See 2 Cor. 5:19)

So any message that carries "wrath", "Hell" or "loss" is simply not true, but rather, abusive to its listeners.

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by universalist:
The term, "wrath of God" needs to be cleared up.

Objectively, there IS no wrath of God. The wrath of God exists only in the mind of the unbeliever, put there by Christians who do not understand the character of God. This has taken the form of "official" church doctrine and creed, sometimes in abusive sermons. "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" by JE comes to mind...

Part of me wants to point out how long this thread is and how these issues have already been discussed. I don't know how fair it is to expect a new poster to read through a thread this long.

It seems that the people who have been discussing on both sides have agreed with each other that the focal point of PSA is the concept of 'taking sin seriously' which includes God's wrath and retributive justice.

I'm a lot closer to your point of view than to PSA, but it's not been our custom on this thread to make imperious absolute statements such as Objectively, there IS no wrath of God. The wrath of God exists only in the mind of the unbeliever..

I'm trying to understand the PSA point of view. I've already been told that I often sound like I'm ridiculing that point of view and I'm really trying to understand it. Making statements such as 'my point of view is objectively correct' would simply be engaging in the kind of conversation-stopping dialogue of which I've accused hard-core conevos.

I don't believe I can 'objectively' know about the mechanism of atonement this side of the Kingdom.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originaly posted by Jamat:
I do not doubt your sincerity. Doesn't mean I back your theology.

Nor I yours, but you have missed the point of my post. I am not complaining that you are doubting my sincerity. Rather, I am saying that, in order for the your testimony to be counted as supporting evidence for PSA,(a claim which your post seems to be making) then you would have to demonsrate that people who reject PSA could not have the same experience. This is demonstrably not so. The conclusion that one is forced to draw is that there isn't much of a correlation between believing in PSA and having a living and vibrant faith.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by Numpty:
However, I do wonder if this sentence might help clarify the PSA position concerning the Father's 'pleasure' (see the BCP Eucharistic Prayer!) in the crucifixion. John Piper writes:
quote:

I agree with Piper here, though, to be fair, I've never encountered anyone who interpreted these concepts otherwise.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
John Piper writes:
quote:
But that still leaves us with the question: 'Why is the Father pleased?'
I think that the Father is pleased because, in and through his Son, what he hates is being killed. Therefore the Father chooses not to save the Son despite his infinite love for him. The Father forsakes the Son, allowing him to die, because his settled opposition and animosity towards sin (not the Son, but sin in the Son) is being satisfied. God is satisfied by the suffering of the Son in the sense that the Son's suffering is the means by which sin and death are destroyed thereby leaving no object for God's wrath.

quote:
Isn't the whole point of PSA to give the answer: 'Because a price must be paid and the Father won't forgive until that price is paid?'
No. The Father has already passed over sin (i.e. forgiven sin Ps 31.1 ) before the Son is crucified because his desire to forgive takes priority over his commitment to dispense justice. Therefore, the crucifixion does not 'release' the Father to forgive: rather, it justifies the Father's prior act of forgiveness.

quote:
Piper's statement actually makes total sense in my model of atonement, which includes a moral example.
In isolation yes, but not in the context of the wider article.

quote:
But PSA just comes back to the wrath of the Father, doesn't it?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because that's genuinely how I understand it.

Yes, in the sense that Jesus voluntarily takes our sin into himself in order to kill it in his own death thereby expiating sin from humanity.

The Father, though capable of saving Jesus who is innocent of sin, does not save him because in and through the Son's death sin is being killed. The Father allows the Son to suffer because of the victorious joy that awaits the Son beyond that suffering: this is what pleases the Father in the death of the Son.

The death of sin in and through Christ can also be said to propitiate the wrath of the Father because the death of sin and death in and through Christ means that God's wrath no longer has an object. Once sin is dead there is nothing to be angry at.

[ 28. June 2007, 22:08: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
[A more relevant question is what the Old Testament means by "ransom" and "redemption." The prophecies of redemption usually portray it as something that takes place by force rather than payment:
So Jesus will ransom us from hell, and He will do it by His blood, but He will do it like a soldier who overcomes the enemy, who liberates us by His efforts and destroys the enemy:
quote:
Hosea 13:14 “ I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave, I will be your destruction! Pity is hidden from My eyes.”
How is He ransoming us? By fighting for us.

This surely is paying a price, but the price is not payed to God or the devil. It is the price of effort and sacrifice for a noble cause.

I don't think that it is right to read Hebrews 9, 10 and 11 without keeping this imagery in mind. I wouldn't call this "CV glasses." The imagery is too pervasive and consistent throughout Scripture. PSA is more selective. So it ends up misconstruing the meaning of terms such as sacrifice, blood, ransom, redemption, deliverance, and even words like intercession, the concept of the bearing of sins, and penalties. [/QB]

But you have already decided what your bottom line is Freddy and you are trying to rationalise it from the scriptures.

To me your discussion of redmption only serve to show you have to reinterpret a basic bible word to make it mean something that harmonises with your CV premise.
In fact the word means to buy back from pawn as you know. It does not mean to take by force. The blood is a price paid for our spiritual lives and you must not beg the question about who it is paid to. A cost is owed to God for our sin, Christ paid it thereby redeeming us, end of story. Unless of course you object so stronglyto the'wrath' side of God that you have to gloss it completely out of your theology as it seems a few do.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kind of hate to jump in here after so many people have been discussing this in such an admirably Purgatorial fashion--I feel like an intruder--but...I don't read anything at all in scripture that would suggest that Jesus was killed by God, which seems to me to be the implication of PSA. He was killed by the anti-God forces (the Romans and their collaborators). Is anyone actually suggesting that the legionnaires who put him on the cross were God's executioners inflicting the punishment that was due to all humanity? I really can't get my mind around that one.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Sorry, Numpty: just realised the point you were making with the Piper quote. Must have been being particularly thick last night. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
But you have already decided what your bottom line is Freddy and you are trying to rationalise it from the scriptures.

And you are not doing the same thing in what way? I repeat, your understanding of the scriptures is not the only one out there. This is precisely the sort of implication of bad faith that makes these discussions so frustrating for many people.

quote:
In fact the word means to buy back from pawn as you know. It does not mean to take by force.
Well the English word "redeem" does indeed mean "to buy back". I don't know what the Hebrew word translated as "redeem" is, but Freddy has clearly shown, from the scriptures, that it was commonly used to cover all events where something that is rightfully yours is recovered, regardless of whether that is by force or by transaction. Your insistance that this is not so sounds remakably like that of which you are trying to accuse Freddy, viz, reading in the scriptures that which you want to find there.

quote:
The blood is a price paid for our spiritual lives and you must not beg the question about who it is paid to. A cost is owed to God for our sin, Christ paid it thereby redeeming us, end of story.
No, it is not "end of story". That we are now into the fourteenth page of this discussion is proof that it is not "end of story". You have yet to produce any supporting evidence that blood atonement has anything whatever to do with "paying the price" in the sense in which you mean it. There are scriptures which refer to God paying the price for our redemption, but everyone in this argument so far has accepted that it was costly for God to redeem us, and that that cost was the willing sacrifice of Jesus. I accept it myself. What I reject is that this is in any way penal. If you want to argue that it is, then do what Numpty and John have done, and produce supporting evidence. Bald assertions are not conducive to reasoned debate, and produce only heat, not light.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by Call me Numpty:
The Father forsakes the Son, allowing him to die, because his settled opposition and animosity towards sin (not the Son, but sin in the Son) is being satisfied. God is satisfied by the suffering of the Son in the sense that the Son's suffering is the means by which sin and death are destroyed thereby leaving no object for God's wrath.

Could I just ask you to clarify what you mean here. Are you saying, as you seem to be, that the Father turning away from the Son is just another way of phrasing, "The Father allows the Son to proceed with His mission unto death (rather than rescuing Him), and that the "driver" as it were, is that sin is destroyed? If this is the case, I could certainly agree with you. However, it is an interpretation that I haven't heard before. More usually, IME, the Father is seen by PSAers as turning His back on the Son because he has "become Sin", and God cannot abide to look on sin, etc etc, that is, it is a moral, rather than a pragmatic imperative that leads God to "turn His back" on Jesus.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
The Father forsakes the Son, allowing him to die, because his settled opposition and animosity towards sin (not the Son, but sin in the Son) is being satisfied. God is satisfied by the suffering of the Son in the sense that the Son's suffering is the means by which sin and death are destroyed thereby leaving no object for God's wrath.

Could I just ask you to clarify what you mean here. Are you saying, as you seem to be, that the Father turning away from the Son is just another way of phrasing, "The Father allows the Son to proceed with His mission unto death (rather than rescuing Him), and that the "driver" as it were, is that sin is destroyed?
Yes, I think I am, with the proviso that God's wrath (his settled animosity toward sin) is propitiated in and through its expiation. In this sense the expiation effected by Christ's death is the means by which God's wrath against sin is satisfied. Yes, Christ became sin and yet was sinless. Therefore God's wrath against the sin in Christ did not make the Father hate the Son, but it did necessitate the Father allowing the sinless Son he loved to die a substitutionary death.

quote:
If this is the case, I could certainly agree with you. However, it is an interpretation that I haven't heard before. More usually, IME, the Father is seen by PSAers as turning His back on the Son because he has "become Sin", and God cannot abide to look on sin, etc etc, that is, it is a moral, rather than a pragmatic imperative that leads God to "turn His back" on Jesus.
Pragmatic no; hedonistic, yes. God turned away because the temporary grief of separation from the Son would propitiate his wrath against the sin which the Son was voluntarily destroying. God's motive was future oriented in the sense that it anticipated future joy derived from the union of himself with sinners that he had already chosen from eternity to forgive.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
In fact the word means to buy back from pawn as you know. It does not mean to take by force.

Well the English word "redeem" does indeed mean "to buy back". I don't know what the Hebrew word translated as "redeem" is, but Freddy has clearly shown, from the scriptures, that it was commonly used to cover all events where something that is rightfully yours is recovered, regardless of whether that is by force or by transaction. Your insistance that this is not so sounds remakably like that of which you are trying to accuse Freddy, viz, reading in the scriptures that which you want to find there.
Thank you JJ.

I understand where Jamat is coming from, and I don't want to be guilty of making the Bible conform to my preconceived notions.

That's the point of quoting actual passages. And not one but many. If I am misquoting, missing context, or misunderstanding the passages, then I'm sure someone can point this out. If more passages actually support what Jamat is saying, then it should not be hard to demonstrate this.

But, Jamat, you are not demonstrating anything.

The word "redeem" is a common one in the Bible, and it is often used in the sense of buying something back. But it is more frequently used in the sense of saving or rescuing someone through strong actions. "Ransom" is a less common word, but I think the quotes I provided show that it is used in the way that I have said.

Jamat, if you disagree why not show that I am wrong rather than accusing me of seeing the Bible through CV glasses. Are you sure that you are not just seeing it through PSA glasses? [Confused]

My opinion is that the Bible is remarkably consistent and rational when it comes to these types of issues. There is nothing hard about looking at word usages that it does and does not support.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
I kind of hate to jump in here after so many people have been discussing this in such an admirably Purgatorial fashion--I feel like an intruder--but...I don't read anything at all in scripture that would suggest that Jesus was killed by God, which seems to me to be the implication of PSA.

Yes, but God (F,S,&HS) is sovereign and had planned the death of the Son from eternity.

quote:
He was killed by the anti-God forces (the Romans and their collaborators). Is anyone actually suggesting that the legionnaires who put him on the cross were God's executioners
In a sense yes, as Peter (recorded by Luke) in Acts 2.22-24, particularly verse 23, points out.

quote:
...inflicting the punishment that was due to all humanity? I really can't get my mind around that one.
Even the enemies of God become the lackies of God from the perspective of his eternal plan and purposes. Hard to grasp, yes, unbelievable, no. [Smile]
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
quote:

Could I just ask you to clarify what you mean here. Are you saying, as you seem to be, that the Father turning away from the Son is just another way of phrasing, "The Father allows the Son to proceed with His mission unto death (rather than rescuing Him), and that the "driver" as it were, is that sin is destroyed?
Yes, I think I am, with the proviso that God's wrath (his settled animosity toward sin) is propitiated in and through its expiation. In this sense the expiation effected by Christ's death is the means by which God's wrath against sin is satisfied. Yes, Christ became sin and yet was sinless. Therefore God's wrath against the sin in Christ did not make the Father hate the Son, but it did necessitate the Father allowing the sinless Son he loved to die a substitutionary death.

quote:
If this is the case, I could certainly agree with you. However, it is an interpretation that I haven't heard before. More usually, IME, the Father is seen by PSAers as turning His back on the Son because he has "become Sin", and God cannot abide to look on sin, etc etc, that is, it is a moral, rather than a pragmatic imperative that leads God to "turn His back" on Jesus.
Pragmatic no; hedonistic, yes. God turned away because the temporary grief of separation from the Son would propitiate his wrath against the sin which the Son was voluntarily destroying. God's motive was future oriented in the sense that it anticipated future joy derived from the union of himself with sinners that he had already chosen from eternity to forgive.

Thanks for that clarification Numpty. As is usual with your posts, it is packed with original and comprehensive thinking, so I'll have to churn over a few grey cells. I do think I see what you are driving at, and I'm finding it really useful in discerning both where we agree, (maybe a surprisingly large area of thinking) as well as where we disagree (correspondingly small, it would seem).

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
I kind of hate to jump in here after so many people have been discussing this in such an admirably Purgatorial fashion--I feel like an intruder--but...I don't read anything at all in scripture that would suggest that Jesus was killed by God, which seems to me to be the implication of PSA.

Yes, but God (F,S,&HS) is sovereign and had planned the death of the Son from eternity.

quote:
He was killed by the anti-God forces (the Romans and their collaborators). Is anyone actually suggesting that the legionnaires who put him on the cross were God's executioners
In a sense yes, as Peter (recorded by Luke) in Acts 2.22-24, particularly verse 23, points out.

quote:
...inflicting the punishment that was due to all humanity? I really can't get my mind around that one.
Even the enemies of God become the lackies of God from the perspective of his eternal plan and purposes. Hard to grasp, yes, unbelievable, no. [Smile]

On the narrow point of the Roman soldiers doing God's work, think of it this way, Timothy.

The nature of the fallen world is that it will always seek to "crucify" that which seeks to overturn the existing (dis)order of violence, greed, hatred etc. This is not just conscious (though, no doubt, vested interest plays its part). Rather it is an inbuilt disposition of humankind. If we want to call that our fallen nature, then we are using orthodox terminology, but really, even stripped of its theological descriptor, it is an observable truth.

Obviously, the life of Jesus is the most radical and powerful threat to this old order - deliberately so, for God intended that His work should be to destroy it. How could that not end up in some sort of cosmic power struggle. But the power of God is demonstrated most powerfully in self-sacrifice and submission. The cross was, in that sense, and if Jesus stayed true to His mission, inevitable. All this God knew, and, presumably, in light of this knowledge, the counter attack against evil was planned by all three persons of the Trinity in the mystery of Their union since before time (rather outside time).

Did God personally inspire Pilate and the Sanhedrin to plot Jesus' death? Did he take over the wills of the Roman soldiers to ensure they carried out their part? No, He didn't have to. It was inevitable, in that sense. The law of sin and death, personified in the structures of the Roman state moved inexorably on. It was the very sin(ful system) that God was seeking to defeat that drove them on, the relentlessness of their institutional hate the "guarantee" that the plan would succeed.

[ 29. June 2007, 11:16: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I think that the Father is pleased because, in and through his Son, what he hates is being killed. Therefore the Father chooses not to save the Son despite his infinite love for him. The Father forsakes the Son, allowing him to die, because his settled opposition and animosity towards sin (not the Son, but sin in the Son) is being satisfied. God is satisfied by the suffering of the Son in the sense that the Son's suffering is the means by which sin and death are destroyed thereby leaving no object for God's wrath.

I agree with all of the above.

I asked: Isn't the whole point of PSA to give the answer: 'Because a price must be paid and the Father won't forgive until that price is paid?'

quote:
No. The Father has already passed over sin (i.e. forgiven sin Ps 31.1 ) before the Son is crucified because his desire to forgive takes priority over his commitment to dispense justice.

I'm going to have to go back to the books now, but, in your opinions is this 'standard PSA'? Or is this a more personal view? FWIW, I agree with the above as well.

quote:
Therefore, the crucifixion does not 'release' the Father to forgive: rather, it justifies the Father's prior act of forgiveness.

I agree.

I'm trying to understand whether you're representing 'standard PSA' here. I think that most PSAers would say that the Father's prior act of forgiveness was done in the foreknowledge of the crucifixion having satisfied his wrath, not that the crucifixion justified a prior act.

I you are representing 'standard PSA', then I'm trying to understand what the differences might be between your theology and mine. At the moment, unlike JJ, I can't even see the small differences between what you believe and what I believe. Your citation of God's prior forgiveness in the Old Testament is exactly the sort of evidence I'd use for my view that 'God just forgives'; and it's a concept that most PSAers seem to disagree with vehemently.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Seeker963 said:
I'm trying to understand whether you're representing 'standard PSA' here. I think that most PSAers would say that the Father's prior act of forgiveness was done in the foreknowledge of the crucifixion having satisfied his wrath, not that the crucifixion justified a prior act.

My understanding of PSA (conservative evangelical) is this: the cross vindicates the scandal of God's forebearance. In other words, God willingly lays himself open to a charge of injustice and complicity with sin by forgiving sinners.

The Old Testament saints (e.g. the Patriarchs and King David etc.) were incrediblly sinful people, and yet God, for the most part appears to have 'overlooked' their sins and their sinfulness. This, of course, is because God is incredibly forgiving. He desires that his creatures should glorify him by enjoying him in his presence for all eternity. However, this desire is in tension with his commitment to take vengeance for sin.

The Psalm I quoted previously is the perfect example of God's prior forebearance regarding sin, but there are other equally authoritative texts that say that God's wrath against sin must be satisfied. So, I think that the crucifixion does indeed justify the prior act of God's forgiveness because it expiates that which he hates (sin) and it propitiates God's commitment to justice (his wrath). I believe that this view offers the best explanation of these verses:
quote:
For there is no distinction: 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
quote:
If you are representing 'standard PSA', then I'm trying to understand what the differences might be between your theology and mine.
I think the only difference is that I accept that God's wrath towards sinners was personal and that the cross the way in which that wrath was depersonalised but nonetheless propitiated.

quote:
At the moment, unlike JJ, I can't even see the small differences between what you believe and what I believe. Your citation of God's prior forgiveness in the Old Testament is exactly the sort of evidence I'd use for my view that 'God just forgives'; and it's a concept that most PSAers seem to disagree with vehemently.
That's where we differ. I think you have observed correctly reagrding God's forgiveness, but have concluded incorrectly regarding what PSA says about that prior forgievness. God most certainly could forgive prior to the cross; and the cross most certainly is not the means by which an unforgiving God becomes forgiving.

On the contrary, the cross is the means by which the Son vindicates the Father's prior forebearance by removing the offense (sin) and accepting the wage (death). He does this by taking that which the Father hates (sin) and killing it in and through his own death. This is what John Owen called, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. The cross can therefore be said to have cost the Father dearly (John 3.16) but at the same time to have satisfied his wrath against sin completely. This is because Christ on the cross was at once the object of God's absolute and unwavering love and the means by which God's wrath against sin was fully and completely satisfied and the wage (death) fully received..

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I think you have observed correctly reagrding God's forgiveness, but have concluded incorrectly regarding what PSA says about that prior forgievness. God most certainly could forgive prior to the cross; and the cross most certainly is not the means by which an unforgiving God becomes forgiving.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're saying, this is what I mean by God 'just forgiving': that God was capable of forgiveness prior to the crucifixion and did not have to hae foreknowledge of a payment before being willing to forgive.

I can't understand why my view is objectionable to PSAer. (I could understand if I insisted that 'just forgiving' means God overlooks and does not name sin, but I always qualify my statement by saying that I do believe God names sin and works for the end of sin; my view still appears unacceptable from a PSA point of view.)

quote:
On the contrary, the cross is the means by which the Son vindicates the Father's prior forebearance by removing the offense (sin) and accepting the wage (death). He does this by taking that which the Father hates (sin) and killing it in and through his own death. This is what John Owen called, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. The cross can therefore be said to have cost the Father dearly (John 3.16) but at the same time to have satisfied his wrath against sin completely. This is because Christ on the cross was at once the object of God's absolute and unwavering love and the means by which God's wrath against sin was fully and completely satisfied and the wage (death) fully received..

I'm not sure I disagree with any of that, either.

I'm not sure I'm going to get much further in my understanding. If this is PSA 'properly understood', then it still makes me think that 'PSA properly understood' means that PSA is not needed. At least, from my perspective.

From the point of view of a philosopher, PSA has the 'advantage' of including God's hatred of sin in the model. However, I think God's hatred of sin is present in Jewish and in Christian theology prior to the historic development of PSA such that it does not have to be incorporated into a model of atonement.

I think I shall simply remain perplexed and resigned to being de-churched by the vehement right.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Apologies for not replying to previous posts - I've been away for a few days.

quote:
From the point of view of a philosopher, PSA has the 'advantage' of including God's hatred of sin in the model. However, I think God's hatred of sin is present in Jewish and in Christian theology prior to the historic development of PSA such that it does not have to be incorporated into a model of atonement.

As I have said previously, I always thought the biggest 'advantage' of PSA was that it stressed personal responsibility for sin. (It is not just 'sin' that Jesus destroys, he dies for my sin.)

quote:
I think I shall simply remain perplexed and resigned to being de-churched by the vehement right.

I came across a great US bumper sticker quoted in the press this week - "The Christian right is neither!" [Big Grin]
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
My understanding of PSA (conservative evangelical) is this: the cross vindicates the scandal of God's forebearance. In other words, God willingly lays himself open to a charge of injustice and complicity with sin by forgiving sinners....

...the cross is the means by which the Son vindicates the Father's prior forebearance by removing the offense (sin) and accepting the wage (death). He does this by taking that which the Father hates (sin) and killing it in and through his own death. This is what John Owen called, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. The cross can therefore be said to have cost the Father dearly (John 3.16) but at the same time to have satisfied his wrath against sin completely. This is because Christ on the cross was at once the object of God's absolute and unwavering love and the means by which God's wrath against sin was fully and completely satisfied and the wage (death) fully received..

Thank you, Numpty. That is a logical and concise explanation.

The PSA argument has a simplicity and clean logic to it that is hard to fault, if you can accept its premises.

Two of the premises that, in my opinion, don't hold up to scrutiny are:
  • 1. God must punish sin.
While the Bible, especially the Old Testament, amply bears out the idea that God punishes sin, I think that a better understanding of this is that sin punishes itself. A slow deer is not punished by being fed to the wolves, it just can't escape them. A sinful society is not punished by God, it simply can't function successfully. But since this truth is not obvious to people, and since it is important for people to see God as in charge, the Bible speaks of God's anger and punishment.
  • 2. Death, or blood, is the price of sin.
Again, while this is definitely stated and demonstrated in the Bible, PSA badly misconstrues it. The idea that God's wrath can be satisfied by death is as primitive as the idea that He is pleased by the smell of burnt offerings. A better understanding is simply that sin is self-destructive. Its death is neither a payment to God nor a punishment from Him, but simply the consequence of its own self-extinguishing conatus. This is why God warns us away from it, not because it upsets Him.

Without these two premises PSA does not make sense.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
2. Death, or blood, is the price of sin.
Again, while this is definitely stated and demonstrated in the Bible, PSA badly misconstrues it. The idea that God's wrath can be satisfied by death is as primitive as the idea that He is pleased by the smell of burnt offerings. A better understanding is simply that sin is self-destructive. Its death is neither a payment to God nor a punishment from Him, but simply the consequence of its own self-extinguishing conatus. This is why God warns us away from it, not because it upsets Him.

I think what I'm hearing from Numpty is a more nuanced view of God's wrath against sin. Correct me if I'm wrong, Numpty, but what you seem to be saying that "God's wrath against sin" is merely a shorthand for "His implacable opposition to sin, and His desire that it be brought to an end, coupled by His dynamic ability to bring about that end", or something like that. Thus, we tend to say "God's desire is that sin be punished", but Numpty might well stand that on its head and say, "God's desire (which, therefore implies God's action) is that sin be destroyed, and we can define that destruction by the word punishment.

I may, of course, be totally misrepresenting Numpty's argument, since it is a subtle and sophisticated one, but it does seem to be where it is leading, at least to me.

There does seem a persuasive logic to it, since so often we invest words with meaning that they don't automatically carry, especially when translated.

Am I anywhere near the mark (to use a scriptural term) here?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016