homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamat, as an aside, the principle reason behind my rejection of PSA is that I believe it makes God less than He is, by implying that there are external constraints upon who he may and may not forgive and under what circumstances. This seems to me not merely to be without Biblical support, but to be wholly against the manifest thrust of revelation. The point I made about violence is not my primary concern, but is telling supporting evidence.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
Certainly, in Christian iconography, the Lamb of God has become a sacrifice for sin. But were the real lambs of Passover ever intended as such by the Jewish people?

The New Testament analogy is not only to the Passover lamb but also to the lambs or goats at Yom Kippur - one of which was sacrificed, and one released, the "scapegoat" which bore the sins of the people into the wilderness, literally the "Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world".

Jesus is explicitly likened to the lambs in the Scriptures - to the Passover lamb by impliction in Luke and explictly in 1 Corinthians 5, to the scapegoat by John the Baptist in John 1, to the lamb that is sacrificed for sin in 1 Peter.

And I have no idea which one, if any, the Lamb on the throne in the Revelation is, the Atonement lamb or the Passover lamb.

"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"

Christus Victor [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And I have no idea which one, if any, the Lamb on the throne in the Revelation is, the Atonement lamb or the Passover lamb.

Whatever lamb it was one that was slain, and 'with your blood purchased men for God from every tribe...' PSA [Razz]

I know that it is my background that probably needs to be deconstructed ... I've just finished watching 'The Last King of Scotland' about Idi Amin. The ending was pretty gruesome but the thing that hit me hardest was the fact on the screen right at the end - he died in exile in Saudi Arabia in 2003. Do we really believe that God won't judged him for that?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course God judges. I can assure you that I wouldn't want to live in that guy's conscience, assuming he had any left.

But now that he's gone, are we to try to enact revenge, as God would do? Or should we just let the incident go and focus instead on repairing the damage he did to his own people and to his own country?

And what of the people that promoted him? And what of the people who helped him along the way, and the ones who fought in his name? Or the ones who killed in opposition to him?

When in doubt, after all is said and done, you have to forgive, IMO. Otherwise you can become the very monster you set out to destroy.

I don't think that kind of evil is just personal. It runs through the entire society...

Best to just end it.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mirrizin:
Of course God judges.

But how? If it is the same for everyone then that is hardly fair.

quote:
I don't think that kind of evil is just personal. It runs through the entire society...

Best to just end it.

Absolutely ... that would be an atonement model that dealt with all the sins of the entire society in one go then ... [Big Grin]
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny S:
But how? If it is the same for everyone then that is hardly fair.

Of course it's the same for everyone. In this life, you get what you give. If we're all of one body, then a sin against one person is a sin against all. It is the same for everyone. We are all loved equally, whether we want it or not.

I'm also tempted ot quote a comment by an old boss that "fair is a place where pigs compete for ribbons." What's fair to a being like God?
quote:
Absolutely ... that would be an atonement model that dealt with all the sins of the entire society in one go then ... [Big Grin]
Atonement, sure. I'm all for atonement. It's the penal part that bugs me. Ending it doesn't mean killing one more scapegoat, sacrificing one more cow, one more lamb. The Israelites had been doing that for years, and that's what did them in in the end. Isaiah essentially said, "God doesn't want anymore of your stinking cows! He wants an honest heart!"

And so he gave us one as example. And look what we did with it. Killing God's messengers is the epitome of sin.

And even then he said, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." He didn't give in. Whatever the fuck else he did, he didn't give in to the need to call down divine retribution, or ask for another miracle, or to slay every priest that conspired against him in a divine thunderbolt. He basically said, "It is finished."

And if that isn't gutsy then I don't know what is.

And FWIW, I'm not out to destroy PSA. I just think the way many people read it is harmful, and it also drives a lot of people away from God. It's not the be all and end all of Christianity, IMO. YMMV

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
In this life, you get what you give. If we're all of one body, then a sin against one person is a sin against all. It is the same for everyone. We are all loved equally, whether we want it or not.

What colour is the sky in your world? [Ultra confused] As I look out my window I don't recognise the world you describe.
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

It's blue.

ETA: [Razz]

[ 18. May 2007, 23:07: Message edited by: mirrizin ]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Well it's black here ... but that would be because it's night time.

Night night. [Snore]

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

G'night. [Angel]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jolly Jape - I would like to thank you for your replies to me. It is clear that I am viewing CV through the lens of SA, just like you said, and that is why I'm not getting it!

I'm going to read the thread a few more times, finish the article linked at the top and see if that helps. I may be back with more thoughts later! Anyhow, thanks again for your time. I appreciate it.

Dave

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To go back to a great statement by Karl earlier:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
He then takes on the ugliest powers of sin - rejection, shame, injustice, suffering, torture, murder, alienation from God, and death. He counters these evils not by repaying evil with evil, but by facing them with love and forgiveness, forgiving the evildoers even as they nail Him up. He lets evil do its worst to Him, even to the point of letting it kill Him. But because He is greater than they are, He wins.

To me one of the more compelling arguments for Christus Victor is the way it turns Christ's defeat into His victory. He somehow wins by allowing evil to do what it does.

As He says:
quote:
John 12:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.
If His death is really a victory, then it is a fruitful death. While there is something of this in PSA as well, since Christ's death lifts the penalty from us, there isn't the direct implication of fruitfulness coming from the death itself. Yet this is a concept that Christ repeatedly emphasized:
quote:
Matthew 10:39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 16:25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Mark 8:35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.

Luke 9:24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

John 12:25 He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Luke 17:33 Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.

Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.

In this paradigm death leads directly to life and fruitfulness. It is both about Christ's death and about a kind of death that happens in every person's life. The sinful life needs to die so that the godly life can live. We need to overcome old habits so that we can prosper with new ones. We need to value the life of the spirit over the life of the body.

Jesus teaches this on almost every page:
quote:
Luke 12:23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Luke 12:21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

So Christus Victor has direct application and implications for what God expects from every person. Our task in life is for one part of us to die so that the other can live - and this is the way to life.

Jesus explains that this process is a difficult one, but that it is possible for us because He is the one who really does it for us:
quote:
Matthew 7:14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Christ overcame the world by letting evil do its worst, even to the point of apparently killing Him, and yet this apparent defeat was actually a victory. It was a victory for all the reasons stated above, and also because the actual internal contests, which Jesus underwent in the temptations connected with them, subdued the power that valued physical life as the first priority. We are therefore also able to value the spiritual over the physical, and are able to live the way that Jesus taught, finding joy as a result.

It seems to me that this approach accounts for more biblical teaching than PSA and fits more closely with Jesus' words. The concepts of sacrifice, mediation and reconciliation fit nicely into it as well, I think.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've hit on something really important, Freddy. One of the weaknesses of PSA is that it doesn't connect very well to Jesus' life and ministry - proponents have a way of talking as if all he came for was to die - and nor does it have implications for how we live our lives, except that we are to live them in gratitude for his sacrifice. It leads to a negative view of discipleship as mainly consisting of avoiding doing naughty things.

CV OTOH includes the dimension of the defeat of the powers which rule this earth, and invites us to join Jesus in continuing to defeat the powers by our non-violent resistance. We too are to live a cross-shaped life which will lead us into conflict with the 'domination system', and may ultimately lead to our death at their hands as well. So it leads to positive discipleship, working for peace and justice but not by the sword.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
I think you've hit on something really important, Freddy. One of the weaknesses of PSA is that it doesn't connect very well to Jesus' life and ministry - proponents have a way of talking as if all he came for was to die - and nor does it have implications for how we live our lives, except that we are to live them in gratitude for his sacrifice.

I don't think that's fair Esmeralda. PSA is a model that attempts to explain the death of Jesus. It appears that you are complaining that a model of the death of Jesus focusses too much on the death of Jesus [Confused]

However, if you are saying that as a model it dominates some folk's theology to the exclusion of everything else then that is another matter.

'...except ... in gratitude of his sacrifice' could you explain that further? I find it an extremely powerful motivation and don't understand why so many dismiss it so lightly?

John.

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
'...except ... in gratitude of his sacrifice' could you explain that further? I find it an extremely powerful motivation and don't understand why so many dismiss it so lightly?

Maybe it was several years of sitting through dry-as-dust sermons where we were admonished how we 'should/ought feel grateful for what Christ did for us'.

If this does 'it' for you Johnny, then I'm very happy, but all it ever produced for me was guilt upon guilt.

My wife, until recently, whenever I would say (sincerely) something like, 'you deserve a break darling', would reply almost instinctively, 'no, I deserve Hell'. It's taken a while to get such negativity out of our experience of God.

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Collins:
Maybe it was several years of sitting through dry-as-dust sermons where we were admonished how we 'should/ought feel grateful for what Christ did for us'.

If this does 'it' for you Johnny, then I'm very happy, but all it ever produced for me was guilt upon guilt.

My wife, until recently, whenever I would say (sincerely) something like, 'you deserve a break darling', would reply almost instinctively, 'no, I deserve Hell'. It's taken a while to get such negativity out of our experience of God.

Wow - you have had a negative experience of church. I'm surprised you're still hanging in there!

I didn't say anything about 'ought / should' though did I? You added that bit. I find that thinking about what Christ has done for me comes out naturally. Where is the 'ought' in grace?

I don't want to turn this into a 'pop' at Charismatic churches ('cos there are some very good ones) but IME a lot of them are high on exhortation and low on content and therefore I'm not surprised by your reaction.

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny,

I've been thinking about this question of 'what motivates us?'.

I think it has to involve a transformation of the 'will', that centre of all human desire and motivation. Without some sort of transformation of our desires then the Christian life would be impossible.

'Will' is so much more than thoughts and ideas, hence the need for an engagement of more than just our rational senses.

PSA, as it's been utilised around me, makes Christ's sacrifice into a 'logical system' which makes rational sense but fails to 'warm my heart'. In the presence of this cold heartedness, trying to whip up gratitude is like chastising a deceased equine!

CV works like a 'hero story' which has me cheering for the good guys and booing the bad guys. Seeing how God outwits evil and turns it in on itself is impressive and I'm left desiring to be part of this drama.

PSA is like saying, 'Boy and Girl on a new ship, just starting to get it together, ship hits an iceberg, boy dies and girl survives - now doesn't that make you feel sad?', CV is like watching 'Titanic' and finding yourself weeping when Di Caprio died (which I did - I'm quite in touch with my feminine side [Biased] ).

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
Christus Victor, as with PSA - fine, but don't take it as the only valid description.

I don't see a conflict between the two, anyway.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Johnny,

I think it has to involve a transformation of the 'will', that centre of all human desire and motivation. Without some sort of transformation of our desires then the Christian life would be impossible.

'Will' is so much more than thoughts and ideas, hence the need for an engagement of more than just our rational senses.

PSA, as it's been utilised around me, makes Christ's sacrifice into a 'logical system' which makes rational sense but fails to 'warm my heart'. In the presence of this cold heartedness, trying to whip up gratitude is like chastising a deceased equine!

Agreed. However, we seem stuck on this merry-go-round of 'so why can't we have both?'

quote:
CV works like a 'hero story' which has me cheering for the good guys and booing the bad guys. Seeing how God outwits evil and turns it in on itself is impressive and I'm left desiring to be part of this drama.

PSA is like saying, 'Boy and Girl on a new ship, just starting to get it together, ship hits an iceberg, boy dies and girl survives - now doesn't that make you feel sad?', CV is like watching 'Titanic' and finding yourself weeping when Di Caprio died (which I did - I'm quite in touch with my feminine side [Biased] ).

You had me there ... right until the end! Not the blubbing but the Di Caprio. I have hated him ever since he ruined 'The Beach' by trying to play a Brit. I've never forgiven him for that ... is that because he hasn't shown any repentance or ... [Disappointed]
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Johnny,

Although not directly linked to PSA another major aspect of motivation is the return of Christ.

Of course this is a relational metaphor. Just as I don't want my wife to find me with another woman when she comes home (because I love her [Axe murder] ) so I want Jesus to find me as faithful as possible when he comes back. [Smile]

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

Interesting you see it like this, because my view is that Jesus is always present. I think it was Tom Wright who first helped to disabuse me of the notion of Jesus being 'somewhere-up-there-in-heaven', instead heaven and earth (according to Wright and, as far as I can make out, Orthodoxy) are interlocking spheres so that Jesus (and the angels, and the 'souls of the righteous who have been made perfect' et al) are literally surrounding us, but in a dimension that we cannot (yet) see.

When the shepherds saw the myriad angels on that 'Heiligeabend' they hadn't 'come down' from Heaven, instead the veil separating the two dimensions had been (temporarily) ripped apart and they got a glimpse of the worship and glory in 'heaven'.

Jesus 'returning' will be see this veil - finally - torn apart.

His second coming is, of course, expected and will be glorious, but this will merely make what is 'already', visible!

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Interesting you see it like this, because my view is that Jesus is always present.

Good point. However, his present presence ( [Big Grin] ) is not very personal (or doesn't feel it to me). John 14-17 describes the work of the Spirit being 'another Jesus' to his disciples. He is with us all the time. I just long for the day when 'the veil is taken away' and we see him as he is.

In fact the second coming can only work as a motivation to stop sinning if I believe that he is with me now - otherwise there is no shared 'history'. Nevertheless it brings a personal 'face to face' element that brings focus to my life.

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
I just long for the day when 'the veil is taken away' and we see him as he is.

Amen! Maranatha! [Votive]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Jamat, as an aside, the principle reason behind my rejection of PSA is that I believe it makes God less than He is, by implying that there are external constraints upon who he may and may not forgive and under what circumstances. This seems to me not merely to be without Biblical support, but to be wholly against the manifest thrust of revelation. The point I made about violence is not my primary concern, but is telling supporting evidence.

Fair comment. In reply, the constraints are what he has set in place himself. The fundamental issue is the nature of his holiness and the basis on which we fallen beings can have access to his love. This is why the issue of the blood is so vital; and why sin is less drastic if we don't need the blood atonement to expunge it. What, incidentally do you do with the scriptures I referred to above, namely Romans 3:25, 1 Pet 1:19 and Heb 9:14. In each case a different NT writer assumes blood atonement as a prerequisite for forgiveness and consequent relationship with God.

Richard, I have total sympathy for your view of dry as dust sermons which seem to have no point except to make us feel bad. I hate them too. However, it seems a bit sad to dismiss a scriptural model because of some idiot preaching.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think most people who hold to PSA see God as having external constraints on who he may and may not forgive (I certainly don't). The only "constraint" is God's own sense of justice; his own holy and righteous character means that he "has to" to deal with sin, choosing self-sacrifice rather than "just forgiving".

quote:
Originally posted by Esmerelda:One of the weaknesses of PSA is that it doesn't connect very well to Jesus' life and ministry - proponents have a way of talking as if all he came for was to die - and nor does it have implications for how we live our lives, except that we are to live them in gratitude for his sacrifice. It leads to a negative view of discipleship as mainly consisting of avoiding doing naughty things.

CV OTOH includes the dimension of the defeat of the powers which rule this earth, and invites us to join Jesus in continuing to defeat the powers by our non-violent resistance. We too are to live a cross-shaped life which will lead us into conflict with the 'domination system', and may ultimately lead to our death at their hands as well. So it leads to positive discipleship, working for peace and justice but not by the sword.

PSA leading to a solely negative view of discipleship is not my experience at all. Last summer, for example, I was helping on a conservative evangelical youth conference called Contagious. The topic of the week was "The Cross" (this year the topic is "The Resurrection"). Several of the leaders are involved with Oak Hill in various ways, so unsurprisingly there was a strong emphasis on PSA. But it wasn't in any way to the exclusion the "cosmic" dimension to the atonement of Christ's victory. There was also a strong emphasis on discipleship as living "cross-shaped lives" (the same phrase was used through the week).

The connection for me would be that the breaking through of the Kingdom of God into our present reality comes about by our own hearts being changed as individuals as we follow Christ as king, and the effects work outwards from there. The problem of sin in the world and all the division and alienation is tied up with the division and alienation of sin between individuals and God. PSA explains the personal aspect of our reconciliation with God, the way we as individuals can be forgiven and made righteous, and this then is the basis from which cosmic change is effected.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Collins:I've been thinking about this question of 'what motivates us?'.

The transformation of the will and of our desires you describe sounds very reminiscent of the kind of thing Jonathan Edwards and John Piper describe. Hardly opponents of PSA either! [Smile]

I think one of the great things about PSA, properly understood, is that it's all about the love of God, and is the ultimate expression of that love. I don't see how Father and Son, out of love for one another, purposing in eternity past to willingly sacrifice the Son's life out of love for the Father and for humanity so that sin may be dealt with and also forgiveness offered, so that we may be brought into that communion of love that exists between Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is cold-hearted, a mere logical system.

It seems to me that the problem is not with PSA itself, but that PSA is often badly taught. This needn't be the case, and I think last year's Contagious is a good example of where the Cross, including PSA, was taught well. The main talks are available to download, and if anyone's interested in hearing the kind of way the Cross and PSA are taught by conservative evangelicals, I'd thoroughly recommend them. PSA needn't and shouldn't exclude other aspects of the atonement, nor be just a cold, logical system - it's all about the love of God being poured out.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In reply, the constraints are what he has set in place himself. The fundamental issue is the nature of his holiness and the basis on which we fallen beings can have access to his love. This is why the issue of the blood is so vital; and why sin is less drastic if we don't need the blood atonement to expunge it. What, incidentally do you do with the scriptures I referred to above, namely Romans 3:25, 1 Pet 1:19 and Heb 9:14. In each case a different NT writer assumes blood atonement as a prerequisite for forgiveness and consequent relationship with God.

Well, I think that there are two issues here. The first is whether in fact, as you say, God does indeed put these constraints on Himself, and whether or not His holiness is a constraint upon accepting sinners into relationship with Him. I think that you would have a hard time justifying such claims from scripture. On the contrary, Jesus, God incarnate, had no problem at all in eating and drinking with sinners. I think anyone making such claims as you have would have to account for this. What I think is scriptural is that we have a problem relating to Him because of our sinful nature, but that is a horse of a very different colour.

The second point is the necessity of blood sacrifice. My view is absolutely that in order to acheive the Atonement (which I consider a cosmic, as well as a personal, event) it was necessary for the forces of evil to be conquered, so to speak, and that in order to acheive that, it was necessary for Jesus to die "as a sheep who before its shearers was dumb". So I don't have a problem with references to "blood sacrifice" as such. The question is not "was it necessary for Jesus to die", but, "were my sins being punished by God in the person of Jesus when He died on the cross". The first I would wholeheartedly assent to, the second I reject as sub-Biblical, to use Tom Wright's phrase.

Interestingly, the verse you quote from Romans is, in my view, a key scripture, because, quoted in context with v 25 it describes quite well what is happening on the cross with regards to God's justice. If I might quote the verses in the NIV translation:
quote:
God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus
Here, Paul is quite clearly saying that, though we might deserve punishment, and God would be quite justified in punishing it at any time, He wants to demonstrate clearly to us that His justice does not, in fact, mean that sin has to be punished - rather that there is a better way, the way of Christ, in which, by apparently being defeated on the cross, Jesus does actually conquer sin, and, in the resurrection, initiates a new creation where His definition of justice, the unmaking of sin and all its effects, whether on the victim, the perpetrator or the whole of creation, will finally be brought to fulness. It's clear that Paul was here addressing the very point that PSA proponents say is a strength of their model, that it reconcies love with justice. Paul is saying, no, the cross demonstrates how different God's idea of justice is to ours.

Now, why you feel that the the absense of a punitive dimension towards sin diminishes the seriousness of sin, I'm not sure. To me, it just makes the righteousness of the sin-forgiver that much greater, because it is so unlike us. When we are wronged, we want vindication. When He is wronged, He forgives. Does that not make Him all the more transcendent.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
quote:
I don't think most people who hold to PSA see God as having external constraints on who he may and may not forgive (I certainly don't). The only "constraint" is God's own sense of justice; his own holy and righteous character means that he "has to" to deal with sin, choosing self-sacrifice rather than "just forgiving".

I don't know why you think "just forgiving" is not "dealing with sin". Surely, the whole thrust of Jesus teaching on forgiveness is just that - we deal with sin by "just" forgiving it (that is, by forgiving unconditionally). When someone sins against us we are to forgive, when we sin, we are to receive forgiveness. How is the way of the cross not "just" forgiving. "Father, forgive them" and all that; even if we kill God incarnate. That, surely, is the priority that God puts on forgiveness. And yet, how can we put the word "just" before it. You would almost think that forgiveness wasn't costly, wasn't the hardest thing in the world. You can't put forgiveness up against self-sacrifice. Forgiveness is self-sacrifice. So I think the cross does speak, subjectively, into forgiveness - it is God saying "if you forgive, you will get crucified, but the good news is that, after you are, I will raise you to life again".

But that isn't, it seems to me, what the cross is primarily about. In objective terms, it's not about forgiveness, but about breaking the power of sin to hold us in bondage to death, thus allowing already forgiven people to inherit eternal life, and, on a cosmic scale, the beginnings, at the resurrection, of a new heaven and a new earth, which will be fully realised at the eschaton.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
I think one of the great things about PSA, properly understood, is that it's all about the love of God, and is the ultimate expression of that love. I don't see how Father and Son, out of love for one another, purposing in eternity past to willingly sacrifice the Son's life out of love for the Father and for humanity so that sin may be dealt with and also forgiveness offered, so that we may be brought into that communion of love that exists between Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is cold-hearted, a mere logical system.

Well I would whole heartedly agree with the thrust of that statement, though there may be a couple of minor points I would quibble with. But the problem is, re PSA, that what you have described is the Atonement, not PSA. The defining feature of PSA, istm, is that God is vicariously punishing our sins in Jesus on the cross. The fact that Jesus and the Father are in accord in coming up with this plan is neither here nor there. The issue isn't, pace Chalke, that of cosmic child abuse, but rather, is it possible to deal with sin by punishment (of whoever), or is it, rather, that only forgiveness is powerful enough to truely deal with sin.

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... You can't put forgiveness up against self-sacrifice. Forgiveness is self-sacrifice. So I think the cross does speak, subjectively, into forgiveness - it is God saying "if you forgive, you will get crucified, but the good news is that, after you are, I will raise you to life again".

...In objective terms, it's not about forgiveness, but about breaking the power of sin to hold us in bondage to death, thus allowing already forgiven people to inherit eternal life, and, on a cosmic scale, the beginnings, at the resurrection, of a new heaven and a new earth, which will be fully realised at the eschaton.

Not for nothing does pride top the list of "mortal" sins in Christian lore. It's the only sin that makes all the lists in the Abrahamic faiths.

In simple terms: my ego is killing me. Any wounds, grudges and resentments I opt to schlep around with me will drag me to my death. The only part of "me" that is sacrificed though forgiveness is my ego, and I am finding out how good it feels to be nobody and no-thing.

There's a perfect weightlessness that arrives when I decide that not only do I not need to be offended or hurt, I don't even need to be the identity that is offended or hurt. Then all of it falls away, like the end of a charade. The burden of identity and the pain that attaches to it is completely dissolved. I am left with a ground of pure energy and vital, creative potential, and that is resurrection, indeed.

I can't do this by myself. I need the Christ Logos to heal those fragmentary selves. This is the Good News, as I hear it, and live it.

LAFF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering about some of the overlap between PSA and CV. It occured to me that 'he took our place' makes sense in both theories. In other words, Christ is victor in our place, much like a hero is victorious on a battlefield in our place; fighting and winning a battle that we had no hope of winning (or even really fighting).

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

'He took our place...'.

I think the detail is in what each add to that phrase:

PSA - '...instead of us.'

CV - '...along side us.'

And from this flows many differences.

--------------------

Pastorgirl
Shipmate
# 12294

- Posted      Profile for Pastorgirl   Email Pastorgirl       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems to me that the problem is not with PSA itself, but that PSA is often badly taught.
Exactly.
Posts: 757 | From: L.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
It occured to me that 'he took our place' makes sense in both theories.

That's fine, it is nice to think that Christ fought for us against evil, and also nice to think that He took our punishment for us.

The problem comes when we think about who did the punishing and what effect the taking of a punishment has.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally Posted by the Revolutionist:
It seems to me that the problem is not with PSA itself, but that PSA is often badly taught.

You could say that for many of the problems in religion (and other circles).

In Aikido, there's a common refrain that "it isn't that Aikido doesn't work, it's that your Aikido doesn't work."

The obvious follow up to this is that if it's so hard to keep people honest and to stay true within the system, doesn't that mean somebody needs to do something to change the system?

--------------------

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally Posted by the Revolutionist:

You could say that for many of the problems in religion (and other circles).

In Aikido, there's a common refrain that "it isn't that Aikido doesn't work, it's that your Aikido doesn't work."

The obvious follow up to this is that if it's so hard to keep people honest and to stay true within the system, doesn't that mean somebody needs to do something to change the system?

If by the system, you mean the system of Christian beliefs, then I don't agree with that. Just because we're not very good at putting something into practice doesn't make it untrue.

But if by the system you mean the way that we "do" church and theology and teaching and discipleship and so on, our surrounding practices, then yes, I'd agree that we need to change those to try and make us better able to live and teach Christianity properly.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally Posted by The Revolutionist:
If by the system, you mean the system of Christian beliefs, then I don't agree with that. Just because we're not very good at putting something into practice doesn't make it untrue.

But if by the system you mean the way that we "do" church and theology and teaching and discipleship and so on, our surrounding practices, then yes, I'd agree that we need to change those to try and make us better able to live and teach Christianity properly.

In the case of Christianity, I strongly agree on the second statement. As someone that practices Aikido, I obviously don't intend to knock the art, though I do think there are flaws in the way it is commonly taught. I'd say the same for Christianity as a whole. We need to re-examine the way we do things, especially as mainline denominations. We can't take our own culture for granted anymore.

On the other hand, on PSA, I'm not as sure. I found the CV article very uplifting and I do believe that it's a stronger analysis for the crucifixion, at least to my eyes and to the sort of people I talk to.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QB]
quote:
His holiness is a constraint upon accepting sinners into relationship with Him. I think that you would have a hard time justifying such claims from scripture. On the contrary, Jesus, God incarnate, had no problem at all in eating and drinking with sinners.
The whole of scripure teaches that God wants to reach man but is constrained by his own nature from doing so easily. He dwells in unapproachable light,..no man has seen his face. Remember Moses' veil and the whole issue of how Israel was nearly destroyed by their idolatry which provoked God's anger. God needed to clothe Adam and Eve with skins. This implies blood sacrifice in Genesis. Cain's offering was not acceptable to God since there was no blood sacrifice as there was with Abel's. The reason the good news is so good is that God chose to punish himself, in the person of Christ, in order to reach us.

quote:
The second point is the necessity of blood sacrifice. My view is absolutely that in order to achieve the Atonement (which I consider a cosmic, as well as a personal, event) it was necessary for the forces of evil to be conquered, so to speak, and that in order to acheive that, it was necessary for Jesus to die "as a sheep who before its shearers was dumb". So I don't have a problem with references to "blood sacrifice" as such. The question is not "was it necessary for Jesus to die", but, "were my sins being punished by God in the person of Jesus when He died on the cross". The first I would wholeheartedly assent to, the second I reject as sub-Biblical, to use Tom Wright's phrase.
But you need to explain why the writers of scripture depict God as seeing it (blood sacrifice) as essential if your POV is to hold up. I'm unfamiliar with Wright but the issue would seem to be, as you pose the question, why precisely DID Christ have to die? Christ could more economically and less tragically have demonstrated his victory if the shedding of blood was not needed to cover sin.

quote:
Interestingly, the verse you quote from Romans is, in my view, a key scripture, because, quoted in context with v 25 it describes quite well what is happening on the cross with regards to God's justice. If I might quote the verses in the NIV translation:
quote:
God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus
Here, Paul is quite clearly saying that, though we might deserve punishment, and God would be quite justified in punishing it at any time, He wants to demonstrate clearly to us that His justice does not, in fact, mean that sin has to be punished - rather that there is a better way, the way of Christ, in which, by apparently being defeated on the cross, Jesus does actually conquer sin, and, in the resurrection, initiates a new creation where His definition of justice, the unmaking of sin and all its effects, whether on the victim, the perpetrator or the whole of creation, will finally be brought to fulness. It's clear that Paul was here addressing the very point that PSA proponents say is a strength of their model, that it reconcies love with justice. Paul is saying, no, the cross demonstrates how different God's idea of justice is to ours.

The issue here then seems to be your definition of justice. Justice to me is by definition retributive. A wrong suffered must be paid for,atoned for. Only after retribution is restoration possible. in The NAS version the word propitiation is used. The word carries the import of covering. It was associated with the value of sacrifice with blood as shielding the sacrificer. from consequence by attributing that punishment to the sacrifice animal. Christ, Paul is clearly implying, volutarily became our sacrifice animal.

quote:
Now, why you feel that the the absense of a punitive dimension towards sin diminishes the seriousness of sin, I'm not sure. To me, it just makes the righteousness of the sin-forgiver that much greater, because it is so unlike us. When we are wronged, we want vindication. When He is wronged, He forgives. Does that not make Him all the more transcendent.
The issue is the basis of the forgiveness. Forgiveness is only possible because of the fact that Christ's blood covers sin. Sin by definition is less serious if a life need not be sacrificed to expunge it. I agree with the greatness of the 'sin forgiver'.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:

The issue here then seems to be your definition of justice. Justice to me is by definition retributive. A wrong suffered must be paid for,atoned for. Only after retribution is restoration possible. in The NAS version the word propitiation is used. The word carries the import of covering. It was associated with the value of sacrifice with blood as shielding the sacrificer. from consequence by attributing that punishment to the sacrifice animal. Christ, Paul is clearly implying, volutarily became our sacrifice animal.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
The reason the good news is so good is that God chose to punish himself, in the person of Christ, in order to reach us.

Longtime lurker, first time poster on this thread to say that I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around this: my entire view of punishment, retribution, and sin-fixing, as it were, is so different, and I think my understanding of Christianity has shaped those differences.

Why does justice demand punishment? To me, justice demands that the wrong thing END. Not be transferred to someone else, not play out in hell forever, not bounce back on the wrongdoer a dozen times over, just END. We bollocks that up all over the place in our current system of criminal "justice", where our focus on punishment results in people coming out of prison more dangerous and broken then they were when they went in.

The idea that God punishing himself instead of us would be the ultimate "good news" to me shortchanges God. The good news of God, to me, is that God (in Christ) stands outside our systems of retributive punishment and beckons us towards another way of doing things.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
We bollocks that up all over the place in our current system of criminal "justice", where our focus on punishment results in people coming out of prison more dangerous and broken then they were when they went in.

The idea that God punishing himself instead of us would be the ultimate "good news" to me shortchanges God. The good news of God, to me, is that God (in Christ) stands outside our systems of retributive punishment and beckons us towards another way of doing things.

I partially agree with you. This has been a point made by JJ and others on the ship before. However, I'm having a hard time trying to work this out in practice.

What is this different way of doing things? Please would you describe a criminal justice system where these principles were put into practice. Doesn't human nature need things like deterrent? If Jesus is showing us a better way, what is that better way? (Don't say 'forgiving people unconditionally' ... I mean apply this to a national criminal justice system!)

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

infinite_monkey,

Welcome....!

....and Amen!

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Let me follow up my last post with an example. I was once talking to a church leader about having a child protection policy (this was YEARS ago I should stress!)

He told me that he didn't want to involve the police. If someone in his church had abused a child and had repented then church discipline should be enough. 'We can handle it ourselves, the outside bodies don't need to know'. I was horrified.

Now, I'm not for a moment suggesting that all you CV people out there would be happy with that either! However, isn't the penal system also about publicly recognising that something is wrong and sending out a strong deterrent that we shouldn't behave this way?

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

Johnny,

I'm not sure that we COULD apply God's idea of 'Justice' fully within our criminal justice system.

The reason being, that this very system is located (and designed to operate within) our current corrupted world (like armies, wars and state punishments).

This isn't to say that I don't wish it could be otherwise, but that when 'restorative' justice trumps 'retributive' justice we are seeing one of those 'glimpses' of the Kingdom which won't be fully revealed until all things are summed up in Christ.

So I fully expect that the 'way of the world' (and thus the 'way of society/government') will be based around retributive ideas, but that our very vocation is to articulate a 'new and better way' i.e. restorative justice.

How do we do this? Well, perhaps by 'forgiving others as we ourselves are forgiven', or, 'turning the other cheek' etc...

Clearly, the more these ideas gain acceptance within a society the more it will influence the operation of that society, but I'm not so naive as to think that any individual country/society will get it all right. It's like the parable of the mustard seed, these ideas take a LONG time until they become predominant.

I guess this is why I'm so personally concerned re: those traditions of Christianity which propogate the notion of retributive justice via PSA-teaching, precisely because they are still operating within the fallen 'paradigm' of the surrounding culture (although directing the 'punishment' towards Jesus). Different outcome, but similar assumptions (violence is needed to pay for Sin/Crime).

--------------------

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

Johnny,

Re: your 'child abuse' scenario.

I still hold that a 'just' outcome, for me, would be that the individual concerned would change his/her nature so as to never feel the need/urge/temptation to act like that again.

However, there is also the issue of 'justice' for the child/family affected by their original actions. Within our society the only 'justice' the state can legislate for is retributive, but 'restorative' justice would be for all past hurts/memories/feelings/scars to be 'wiped away'. In one could talk to the individuals/parents in such circumstances I guess their 'hearts wish' would NOT be that the individual is appropriately 'punished', but that the whole thing had NEVER happened...

Obviously achieving such a 'state' is totally beyond the power of the Home Office and requires a 'new creation' from God.

Again, we can get glimpses and partialities of such 'healing' within this life (and there a many testimonies of how God can heal emotional/relational/physical wounds), but the fullness will need to wait.

Because we live between the two creations we still need to operate within our current 'system', and this will include elements of retributive justice. Because of this I would clearly cooperate and act within the requirements and laws of our society (and St. Paul makes the point that often the state is authorised by God to 'enact' judgement ahead of the 'great judgement') - however this doesn't stop me imaging a 'better' justice system ...

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
however this doesn't stop me imaging a 'better' justice system ...

I hear what you're saying Richard. I suppose that is the tension we all live with.

I guess my question is this - are you basically giving up on the 'better' justice system in this life? If so, then how does Jesus show us a 'better way'? Is that way just for nice Christians and not for the rest of the world?

IME PSA bridges that gap. As it were it gives the last down payment on the old order and makes the new world (of which you speak) possible. It ends retributive justice once and for all!

John.

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

Johnny,

I'm not giving up on hope of a 'better way', but live with that tension between:

'Make Poverty History' and 'The poor you will always have amongst you'.

Something has just occured to me that the difference between our positions is how we perceive that 'transition point' between the two worlds.

I agree with you that PSA CAN be seen (but isn't always taught) as the END of the old system articulated in terms which arise from within that system whereas CV is understood as the BEGINNING of the new system, articulated in terms arising from with that system.

They are both looking at the same transition point but PSA seems to be approaching it from the 'old side' and CV approaches it from the 'new side'.

However, since we spend most of our time within the 'old side' I guess the risk is to compromise the transition point and to drag it back into our current existence (which is when PSA teaching merely propogates the old problem). The 'benefit' of such an approach, though, is that it can use language which we are all too familiar with (as with the example given re: the 'power' of the PSA model for those who have experienced legal punishment).

Since CV 'lives' in the world which we are aiming for, it doesn't suffer this potential compromise - and can, actually, pull us into the new system. I guess, following this logic, the 'weakness' of CV might be that it is 'alien' to our current understandings and uses thought concepts/paradigms which are so different as to make it 'hard' to imagine.

Certainly understanding that the 'first will be last and the last will be first' and 'one must loose to win' etc... goes against our 'modus normalis', but then I would say that acquiring this 'different' (=redeemed) mindset is the 'work' of Christianity and so I would rather stick with a CV model than a potentially compromisable PSA one.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
The whole of scripure teaches that God wants to reach man but is constrained by his own nature from doing so easily. He dwells in unapproachable light,..no man has seen his face. Remember Moses' veil and the whole issue of how Israel was nearly destroyed by their idolatry which provoked God's anger. God needed to clothe Adam and Eve with skins. This implies blood sacrifice in Genesis. Cain's offering was not acceptable to God since there was no blood sacrifice as there was with Abel's. The reason the good news is so good is that God chose to punish himself, in the person of Christ, in order to reach us.
I'm sorry, but I can't see, either that your analysis of the Bible is correct, or that the references that you quote could be in any way supportive of such a point of view. The reason for the veil, the description of God dwelling in unapproachable light, and so on, all point to the difficulty we have as sinners in approaching God, not the other way round. Those concessions were for our benefit, not His. He is always there alongside us, whatever the state of our souls, as it were. Again I would ask, if the difficulties are such as you suggest, then how was it possible for God incarnate to walk around first century Palestine, mixing with and enjoying the company of sinners.

quote:
But you need to explain why the writers of scripture depict God as seeing it (blood sacrifice) as essential if your POV is to hold up. I'm unfamiliar with Wright but the issue would seem to be, as you pose the question, why precisely DID Christ have to die? Christ could more economically and less tragically have demonstrated his victory if the shedding of blood was not needed to cover sin.

As an aside, I would heartily recommend reading Tom Wright's stuff. His heaviweight works are published under "NT Wright", his more popular style of book he publishes as "Tom Wright". You can get a feel for his writings by visiting this site.

I think the point about why Jesus had to die (and the way in which He had to die) has been covered extensively on this thread and also here. But, in short, Christ had to die because that was the only way in which the power of evil in humankind and in the cosmos could be defeated. Evil can never be defeated by returning violence for violence, because the cycle merely perpetuates itself. But in sacrificing Himself, Christ defeats evil with good, assuming it into Himself and thus exhausting it. Evil is so powerful that only the full might and power of God can break its hold, and that might and power is at its most mighty and powerful in humility and apparent weakness.

quote:
The issue here then seems to be your definition of justice. Justice to me is by definition retributive. A wrong suffered must be paid for,atoned for. Only after retribution is restoration possible.
So, with those few words, you set aside the whole of Jesus teaching on forgiveness. I'm sorry, I don't for the life of me see how anyone who has read the Gospels (or even the Old Testament) can write that. Again and again, Jesus teaches that we should forgive our enemies, do good to those who persecute us, etc, etc. Show me a single example where He so much as hints that we should not give such forgiveness unconditionally. And unconditional means just that, without conditions. No need for payment or retribution, in fact those things are expressly forbidden by Him. Furthermore, the whole of the Old Testament is full of examples where the people of Israel long for justice, the putting right of wrongs, the remaking of the order, (though most often thought of in political terms). Retributive justice is just the result of the inability of restorative justice to operate in a fallen world, as Richard so eloquently demonstrates.

Furthermore, with reference to OT blood sacrifices, if you are suggesting (correctly) that they prefigure Christ's sacrifice, then in order to use that fact to support the theory that our sins, in Christ, were being punished, you would have to demonstate that the lamb being sacrificed was bearing the sin of the people. But of course, that can't be done from the scriptures, since the "sin-bearer" was the scapegoat, driven out into the wilderness, not killed. The sacrificial animal, had it been bearing sin, would have been unclean, and thus not "perfect and spotless", the requirement for an acceptable sacrifice. So, was Christ sacrificed, yes, but was God, in Him, punishing our sin, no.

quote:
The issue is the basis of the forgiveness. Forgiveness is only possible because of the fact that Christ's blood covers sin. Sin by definition is less serious if a life need not be sacrificed to expunge it. I agree with the greatness of the 'sin forgiver'.

The basis of forgiveness is in the heart of God. It needs no other basis. Even on a practical lever, it is the only way that is powerful enough to neutralise the power of sin. Punishment doesn't do it. If it did, our prisons would be empty. We're good at punishment. We don't need the concept of an angry, wrathful god to teach us how to do that. But forgiveness, well that's a whole different story.

No, Jesus didn't die that we could be forgiven, whatever that ghastly hymn says. He died in order to release us from the power of sin, which is not at all the same thing.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Since CV 'lives' in the world which we are aiming for, it doesn't suffer this potential compromise - and can, actually, pull us into the new system. I guess, following this logic, the 'weakness' of CV might be that it is 'alien' to our current understandings and uses thought concepts/paradigms which are so different as to make it 'hard' to imagine.

Certainly understanding that the 'first will be last and the last will be first' and 'one must loose to win' etc... goes against our 'modus normalis', but then I would say that acquiring this 'different' (=redeemed) mindset is the 'work' of Christianity and so I would rather stick with a CV model than a potentially compromisable PSA one.

This is a really excellent point, Richard, and one which I hadn't considered. I do think that you have to look more deeply to "make sense" of CV, than you do for PSA.

--------------------

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

Thanks JJ!

Also, Johnny, following this hypothesis I would most certainly say to Rico Tice, therefore, that the 'way in' (from a PSA perspective - which he would support) is NOT the 'way on', and this is my problem with the 'whole PSA and nothing but PSA' crowd.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

... grudgingly [Biased] ... fair point.
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

I must be slow but I'm still not quite clear on how your CV pans out JJ...

quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't see, either that your analysis of the Bible is correct, or that the references that you quote could be in any way supportive of such a point of view. The reason for the veil, the description of God dwelling in unapproachable light, and so on, all point to the difficulty we have as sinners in approaching God, not the other way round. Those concessions were for our benefit, not His.

I don't get how a barrier to a relationship can only be one sided? If there is something 'in the way' how can it only keep mankind from God and not the other way round?

I appreciate that Jesus walked around with sinners ... how is that possible? Well all atonement models have a ready answer for that ... sin was dealt with at the cross! [Big Grin]

quote:
Evil can never be defeated by returning violence for violence, because the cycle merely perpetuates itself.

Except that in PSA God ends that cycle by taking the punishment himself. To put it crudely the headmaster's cane is broken for ever! Perhaps I'm obsessed with penal thinking but ISTM that PSA does what you say above but without leaving the 'old way' outstanding. CV does not destroy retributive justice in the way PSA does.

quote:
So, with those few words, you set aside the whole of Jesus teaching on forgiveness. I'm sorry, I don't for the life of me see how anyone who has read the Gospels (or even the Old Testament) can write that. Again and again, Jesus teaches that we should forgive our enemies, do good to those who persecute us, etc, etc. Show me a single example where He so much as hints that we should not give such forgiveness unconditionally. And unconditional means just that, without conditions. No need for payment or retribution, in fact those things are expressly forbidden by Him. Furthermore, the whole of the Old Testament is full of examples where the people of Israel long for justice, the putting right of wrongs, the remaking of the order, (though most often thought of in political terms). Retributive justice is just the result of the inability of restorative justice to operate in a fallen world, as Richard so eloquently demonstrates.

I appreciate that you distinguish forgiveness with reconciliation. However, I'd like to stress that your point above only works if we can do that. Where do you find this distinction in the ministry of Jesus?

quote:
Furthermore, with reference to OT blood sacrifices, if you are suggesting (correctly) that they prefigure Christ's sacrifice, then in order to use that fact to support the theory that our sins, in Christ, were being punished, you would have to demonstate that the lamb being sacrificed was bearing the sin of the people. But of course, that can't be done from the scriptures, since the "sin-bearer" was the scapegoat, driven out into the wilderness, not killed. The sacrificial animal, had it been bearing sin, would have been unclean, and thus not "perfect and spotless", the requirement for an acceptable sacrifice. So, was Christ sacrificed, yes, but was God, in Him, punishing our sin, no.

I'm not sure that you are being fair here JJ - how could Jesus possibly fulfil every single OT type in an exact correspondence at the same time? Anyway, was not this part of Hebrews 13 - when Jesus 'goes outside the camp'? The OT Professor Gordon Wenham has done some work on this ... I'll have to try and remember where I put it [Roll Eyes]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016