homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - a very open answer.

Would it be fair to characterise this as a teaching that was worked out and developed over the centuries? I accept there's nothing contradictory in it, or wrong in that...

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
Barnabas62 .... I am not suggesting that MY wrath is PROJECTED onto God ... far from it. I am saying that the unregenerate part of me experiences God's love AS wrath. When that unregenerate part of me gets transformed what was formerly experienced as wrath by demonic deception is now revealed in its true nature as the bliss of God's love.

Every time God's loves me when I sin, if I do not repent, I experience that sweetest love as searing spiritual pain. It is a foretaste of that hell that I will taste for all eternity unless I repent before I die.

So God's love and God's wrath are, according to this view, essentially the same "energy"? (Is that the right word?)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
I don't understand why Christ's suffering assumes and heals anything in the Orthodox view.

Not the suffering of Christ, but Christ suffering.

It's all about the recapitulation father Gregory spoke about, or the openness-union of all that I spoke about.

Divisions are healed, and such a division is the one between life and death.

Not an easy read, but might be useful:

http://energeticprocession.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/the-cross-is-the-incarnation/

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Barnabas

This is not a = b = c. In God who is Love there is .... qua us ....

(1) Life-giving power, creative potential and actuality.
(2) Love ... the relational enhancement of the Cosmos through interactive freedom.

If and when any aspect of the Cosmos falls out of its natural state by volition or any other cause there is a severance in the Creator-creature relation. This degrades the creature's experience of God into evil and death. The subjective experience of God under those conditions is wrath but there can be no equivalence (moral or ontological) between the plenitude of love which is invariant and divine and wrath which is fallen contingent and emptying.

The energies of God are simply God active in creation ... in any manner, (see 1 & 2 above).

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parables and analogies; smoke and mirrors. No Orthodox has engaged with the texts of St John Chrysostom that I've cited. Tell me why my reading of him is wrong. Show me why I misunderstand him. Basically, substantiate your assertions. I find your lack of engagement with my question to be both disrespectful and peculiarly satisfying at the same time.

At the moment what you are preaching amounts to nothing more than this:
quote:
"A God without wrath, brings people without sin, into a kingdom without judgment, through a Christ without a cross.
I'm sorry but that's not just a different take on the Christianity of scripture; that isn't the of Christianity of scripture. I honestly don't think it's the Christianity of St John Chrysostom either, and I believe the texts I've cited from him offer strong evidence for that assertion. Evidence with which you have yet to engage.

And don't even get me started on the Romans stuff from St J C! I'll tackle that after you've told if you're going to answer my reading of Chrysostom's commentary on 2 Corinthians or not.

[ 04. March 2008, 19:05: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Numpty, you are not being just here.

For two reasons.

The first part of your quotations have been explained by father Gregory.

And as for your second part:

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
St John Chrysostom exhorts the reader - in the light of his theology of the cross - in the following way Father Gregory.
quote:
Reflecting then on these things, let us fear these words more than hell; let us reverence the things [they express] more than the kingdom, and let us not deem it grievous to be punished, but to sin. For were He not to punish us, we ought to take vengeance on ourselves, who have been so ungrateful towards our Benefactor.
How do you answer him?
You do not mention what follows those words, you don't place them in context.

This comes after the verse you quoted:

Now he that hath an object of affection, hath often even slain himself, when unsuccessful in his love; and though successful, if he hath been guilty of a fault towards her, counts it not fit that he should even live; and shall not we, when we outrage One so loving and gentle, cast ourselves into the fire of hell? Shall I say something strange, and marvelous, and to many perhaps incredible?

The Saint speaks about us punishing ourselves out of love for God. And what this punishment means, only those who love much and wronged the beloved can appreciate.

And if this last when angered doth not punish, he hath tortured his lover more; but if he exacts satisfaction, he hath comforted him rather.

Sin is the punishment of itself.

These things then bearing in mind, let us above all things be afraid of sin; for this is punishment, this is hell, this is ten thousand ills. And let us not only be afraid of, but also flee from it, and strive to please God continually; for this is the kingdom, this is life, this is ten thousand goods.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, andreas, I've reviewed the exchanges since Numpty's original post and I'm frankly amazed that you think your response is any kind of response at all. St John Chrysostom's total exposition on 2 Cor 5 v 21 is here in its entirety. Scroll down to the bottom.

The argument has been about the reality of God's outrage, his wrath. Leaving aside that not insignificant point that you have chosen to respond to a quote from the middle of the argument, the portions you quote do not set aside the reality of God's wrath at all. They say what our response to that reality should be.

I think you must have failed to understand the argument Numpty is making from St John Chrysostom. St John's words treat God's wrath as a reality within Him, not as a "subjective experience" of fallen sinners (See the quote from Father Gregory below). I could quote at length from this part of the Homily to demonstrate why I believe that, but rather I encourage folks to do the hard work of reading the whole thing and making up their own mind.

Father Gregory, I want to separate out from this response to the question of what St John Chrysostom says from your wider description of Orthodox understanding, expressed here.

quote:
If and when any aspect of the Cosmos falls out of its natural state by volition or any other cause there is a severance in the Creator-creature relation. This degrades the creature's experience of God into evil and death. The subjective experience of God under those conditions is wrath but there can be no equivalence (moral or ontological) between the plenitude of love which is invariant and divine and wrath which is fallen contingent and emptying.
That is a dogmatic statement - not in any way wrong for that reason - but it is not consistent with St John Chrysostom's words re 2 Cor 5 v 21. At any rate, I'm blowed if I can see it. It is "monkey's uncle" time for me, I'm afraid. I think you might reasonably argue that St John saw in part what later Orthodoxen saw more clearly. But I do not see how he can be prayed in aid for the above statement from his commentary on 2 Cor v v 21. It is much more justifiable from the text to see an acceptance by him of vicarious atonement - as the footnote says and as I observed about 150 posts ago.

[ 04. March 2008, 21:36: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I see a distinction at all. If what we perceive as wrath is in fact God's love... then to all intents and purposes it is wrath. To us, at any rate.

If I go to hell for eternity it matters not to me whether God calls it love and I call it wrath - the correct label is my least concern.

It strikes me as a sort of parrallel to Calvinism. We might find Calvinism unjust (I certainly do) because we are depraved beings unable to perceive God's infinite justice. Similarly we might perceive God's love as being wrath because we are unregenerate.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
I'm not sure I see a distinction at all. If what we perceive as wrath is in fact God's love... then to all intents and purposes it is wrath. To us, at any rate.

If I go to hell for eternity it matters not to me whether God calls it love and I call it wrath - the correct label is my least concern.

I think the point is that if you go to Hell you were really there already.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

That's exactly the point. Hell is misery, not a place. God's love is real, but if a person is in a state of torment, then it appears like wrath.

The reason that it is important to know the objective quality, rather than settle for the subjective one, is because the question is about whether or not God is good.

Can a good God be angry or cause torment? I would say not.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Andreas1984:
quote:
This comes after the verse you quoted:

quote:
Now he that hath an object of affection, hath often even slain himself, when unsuccessful in his love; and though successful, if he hath been guilty of a fault towards her, counts it not fit that he should even live; and shall not we, when we outrage One so loving and gentle, cast ourselves into the fire of hell? Shall I say something strange, and marvelous, and to many perhaps incredible?
The Saint speaks about us punishing ourselves out of love for God. And what this punishment means, only those who love much and wronged the beloved can appreciate.

quote:
And if this last when angered doth not punish, he hath tortured his lover more; but if he exacts satisfaction, he hath comforted him rather.
Sin is the punishment of itself.

These things then bearing in mind, let us above all things be afraid of sin; for this is punishment, this is hell, this is ten thousand ills. And let us not only be afraid of, but also flee from it, and strive to please God continually; for this is the kingdom, this is life, this is ten thousand goods.

Firstly, I do not take issue with St Chrysostom's lover analogy - it describes perfectly the regenerate person's relationship with God. But if we're going to argue from context let's argue. St Chrysostom is talking the sin of the regenerate in the light of the cross event. It is a soteriological statement about the consequences of post-regenerate sin. The relationship with the lover exists; it is established in and through Christ's incarnation, life, death and resurrection. Nevertheless, as Chrysostom points out, it is specially wrough through the cross because the cross becomes the locus of God's wrath instead of us. We continue to outrage the Father, but he - despite his outrage - continues to love us. Why? Because of the crucifixion of Christ.

Saint Chrysostom speaks of the mercy of God being the incentive towards holiness for the believer not the unbeliever. A true saint recognises that God's wrath - God's outrage - has been propitiated in and through Christ's sin-bearing life and sin killing-death. In other words God's antipathy towards sin is eternally located in himself because he was in Christ reconciling himself to the world.

I do not take issue with the Chrysostom's view that sin is punishment in itself. But I would like you to tell me why you can't accept the idea that Christ was punished by being made sin? If sin is punishment in itself, is it not fair to say that Christ was punished? In fact would it not be fair to say that Christ became punishment itself?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I have been thinking about this in the context of justice. In the book of Amos, the old prophet enters the scene from the south and is shocked by the discrepancy between the the enthusiastic worship in the Northern State and the concurrent endemic injustice to the poor. In one of the most famous passages in the Old Testament, the prophet declares the word of the Lord in these absolutely fulminating terms.

quote:
18 Woe to you who long
for the day of the LORD!
Why do you long for the day of the LORD ?
That day will be darkness, not light.

19 It will be as though a man fled from a lion
only to meet a bear,
as though he entered his house
and rested his hand on the wall
only to have a snake bite him.

20 Will not the day of the LORD be darkness, not light—
pitch-dark, without a ray of brightness?

21 "I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.

22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.

23 Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.

24 But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

These shocking words have the following affect on Amaziah the High Priest (Amos 7)

quote:
12 Then Amaziah said to Amos, "Get out, you seer! Go back to the land of Judah. Earn your bread there and do your prophesying there. 13 Don't prophesy anymore at Bethel, because this is the king's sanctuary and the temple of the kingdom."
From this, and many similar examples from OT prophecy, comes at least in part our understanding of justice in the heart of God. In this particular example, the people of God are not in any way experiencing God as wrath, even in their worship. They practice the laid down ordinances correctly and with enthusiasm. It takes a prophet from outside to point out that such a combination of actions (enthusiastic worship and indifference to injustice) offend the heart of God. And the consequence is that for them the Day of the Lord will not be an occasion for rejoicing but a Day of darkness.

Freddy, I see this example as a clear declaration that God is good. Indeed, were He not to be offended, He would not be good. There is something objective about God in this passage. We confuse His justice, His goodness and His love at our peril.

And this confusion is precisely why Amaziah the high Priest wants Amos to go away; a symbol of the rejection of the rejection of the prophets of which Jesus spoke with such power in Matthew 23. I am very uncomfortable with any suggestion that the justice of God does not involve the ultimate judgment of God against injustice.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
In other words God's antipathy towards sin is eternally located in himself because he was in Christ reconciling himself to the world.

I agree the rest of your post, Numpty, but the italicised bit is the wrong way round. (Which may bring suggestions of Freudian error!)

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

That's exactly the point. Hell is misery, not a place. God's love is real, but if a person is in a state of torment, then it appears like wrath.
ISTM that we are just going in circles here. You are redefining words to such a point that sentences become meaningless.

If Hell is misery then why does so much of the NT promise 'misery' and suffering as part of the faithful Christian life and also promise judgment to those who are not experiencing misery (e.g. the Rich Fool in Luke 12)?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
If Hell is misery then why does so much of the NT promise 'misery' and suffering as part of the faithful Christian life and also promise judgment to those who are not experiencing misery (e.g. the Rich Fool in Luke 12)?

Isn't the answer to this the whole point of the Scriptures? Isn't the whole point to forsake short-term apparent worldly and self-centered happiness in order to find the genuine treasure that is the eternal joy of heaven?

Jesus makes this point endlessly:
quote:
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who weep now,
For you shall laugh...
25 Woe to you who laugh now,
For you shall mourn and weep.

It's not that there is anything inherently happy or good about suffering. Rather it is that a life of obedience to God instead of to our selfish and worldly desires can seem like suffering. The same is true of the effort that it takes to do anything well. It can seem like an impossible task to become physically fit, or go on a diet, or learn to play a musical instrument, or do well in school. But people who do these things almost always consider them worthwile. So Jesus says:
quote:
John 16:20 Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. 21 A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.
The sorrow that He is referring to here may just be about their future persecution, but it is also about the challenges that are inherent in trying to live as Jesus taught. These challenges, like so many challenges in life, are worth pursuing.

The whole point, though, is that Jesus is urging us to find the real treasure, to be led to true joy, and to avoid the unhappy and miserable life that is described as "hell" and "hellfire."

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
In other words God's antipathy towards sin is eternally located in himself because he was in Christ reconciling himself to the world.

I agree the rest of your post, Numpty, but the italicised bit is the wrong way round. (Which may bring suggestions of Freudian error!)
[Hot and Hormonal] You're right! And yes it was a Freudian error rather than theological dishonesty. However, the point still stands that reconciliation was necessary and in some way this reconciliation rests - at least in part - on Christ having been made sin. That is, Christ having been made the punishment, if sin is in fact the punishment rather than the state that precipitates punishment. My view is that sin is judgement inasmuch as God in his passive wrath has given us up to a depraved mind. The practical outworking of sin (i.e that to which God has given us up) is therefore something that requires punishment, and that punishment is death. The fact that sin is possible the ongoing the result of God's passive wrath; that that sin is punishable by death either in the cross - in which case there is nor more fear of punishment - or the hell of fire, in which case the unregenerate will bear the punishment themselves in hell.

[ 05. March 2008, 09:11: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

But Freddy, Dives "avoided the unhappy and miserable life". Lazarus got that as a result of the indifference of Dives and others. The consequence was "an unhappy and miserable eternity" for Dives, but eternal blessing for Lazarus.

Seeking false treasure may enable us to avoid unhappiness and misery now, but not later. And such avoidance may heap that unhappiness and misery onto others. Your equation of Hell with misery avoids some key questions about the consequences of seeking real treasure (i.e treasure of eternal value) or false treasure (i.e material well being, which moth and rust will consume). We don't just damage ourselves by pursuing the false goal, we damage others and cause them to endure misery.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Whether I am already in hell on earth and continue in hell in the afterlife as a result of perceiving God's love as wrath, or perceiving wrath as wrath, doesn't matter much to me. If as a result of being unregenerate I perceive love as wrath and am in hell already doesn't change things.

I'm still struggling to see how it's more than a labelling issue.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Barnabas, I agree with you. I'm not sure how your point is different than what I said.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
If as a result of being unregenerate I perceive love as wrath and am in hell already doesn't change things.

The point is that we can change, so that love is perceived as love. The point is that there is such a thing as a genuinely happy existence, and that no one needs to be miserable in the long term.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I suppose I am struggling to work out how it might look in practice.

For instance, in the story of the prodigal son I can't see how the Father's actions could possibly be interpreted as wrath. I can't think of another parable in which God's actions (either sending people to hell or rewarding them or reconciling to them) might be subject to two interpretations - wrath or love.

And I'm wondering where the idea emerges in the Church's theology.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Barnabas, I agree with you. I'm not sure how your point is different than what I said.

It might be my ignorance of Swedenborg, Freddy! What I read you to be saying in your statement "Hell is misery, not a place" is that "the state of misery is Hell". Whereas I think the NT says that the state of misery may also be "test", "refinement". Such misery is not Hell at all. As the Apostle Peter says. "These trials have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed." (1 Peter 1 v 7)

Part of the problem may be the reflexive nature of "is"! "Hell is misery" is exactly equivalent to "misery is Hell". But I don't think you meant that at all - it isn't like you. That is what I was seeking to clarify.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
For instance, in the story of the prodigal son I can't see how the Father's actions could possibly be interpreted as wrath. I can't think of another parable in which God's actions (either sending people to hell or rewarding them or reconciling to them) might be subject to two interpretations - wrath or love.

In the story of the prodigal son, the father's action is perceived as unfair by the older son. Not exactly wrath, though.

But how about the way that demons perceived Jesus?
quote:
Matthew 8:29 There met Jesus two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way. And suddenly they cried out, saying, “What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?”
Jesus hadn't done anything to them, yet the demons in the men couldn't bear His presence. They begged Him to allow them to leave the men and enter into some swine, which Jesus did.

In Revelation Jesus says:
quote:
Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
I'm sure that this does not feel like love.

Similarly, in Malachi the promised Messiah's presence will be hard to endure, even though He comes with love:
quote:
Malachi 3:1 Behold, He is coming,”
Says the LORD of hosts.
2 “ But who can endure the day of His coming?
And who can stand when He appears?
For He is like a refiner’s fire
And like launderers’ soap.
3 He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver;
He will purify the sons of Levi,
And purge them as gold and silver,
That they may offer to the LORD
An offering in righteousness.
4 “ Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem
Will be pleasant to the LORD."

Maybe this is stated most clearly in Malachi 4:
quote:
Malachi 4:1 “For behold, the day is coming,
Burning like an oven,
And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble.
And the day which is coming shall burn them up,”
Says the LORD of hosts,
“ That will leave them neither root nor branch.
2 But to you who fear My name
The Sun of Righteousness shall arise
With healing in His wings."

I guess that this is typical of the way that this idea is expressed in Scripture. God is a friend to the righteous and a foe to the unrighteous. This can be seen as an anthropomorphism of the underlying reality, which is that God's love is unpleasant and hard to endure for those who don't love God.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Part of the problem may be the reflexive nature of "is"! "Hell is misery" is exactly equivalent to "misery is Hell". But I don't think you meant that at all - it isn't like you. That is what I was seeking to clarify.

Yes, that's right. All misery isn't hell, since discomfort and struggle often lead to great happiness. Still, all misery feels like hell, and the longer it continues the more hellish it seems.

The important distinction, I think, is between what happens in the short term compared with what happens over the long term. People often willingly endure considerable discomfort if they are convinced that something good will come of it.

Real misery, though, involves torment that appears to have no purpose, no end, no escape, and no hope of relief. Addictions and compulsions have this nature, so that the person knows that they aren't happy, but they can't escape their patterns and desires. This phenomenon is often described as a "living hell."

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Freddy, those descriptions all sound rather more like the example I gave earlier - of a parent whose love for a child is manifest by anger at them putting themselves at risk playing with electric plugs.

But my understanding is that that isn't what we're talking about (I think that's a very protestant notion, actually, and I'm sure that Numpty et al and other PSA proponents would have no problem with the idea).

What we're talking about is the same acts and attidues being interpreted differently. And that's what I find so difficult to imagine (which isn't to say it doesn't happen) and it might help me to trace the evolution of the idea.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
What we're talking about is the same acts and attidues being interpreted differently. And that's what I find so difficult to imagine (which isn't to say it doesn't happen) and it might help me to trace the evolution of the idea.

I agree that this is what we are talking about.

I think the real issue is that God does not act visibly in the world. What we find in Scripture are descriptions of God's actions seen through a heavily anthropomorphized lens. It is simply impossible that Moses and Abraham could have actually argued or bargained with God Himself and persuaded Him to change His mind. The God of Scripture is seen, especially in the Old Testament, as simply a very powerful Man who has all kinds of human characteristics. This can't be the reality.

Because of this, Scripture is unambiguous as to whether God is acting in a way that helps or harms people, regardless of whether they are good or bad. He helps good people, and He hinders bad ones. In the Scriptural context, the context of the history of an ancient people, it would make no sense for love to be harmful. Instead they perceived it, and described it, as anger.

The only trouble is that this point of view is not actually consistent with the larger concept of God as He is presented throughout Scripture, and especially by Jesus. Ancient people, children, and uneducated people, are untroubled by these kinds of inconsistencies. But we are. At least, I hope we are.

The evolution of the idea, as I see it, traces back to the need to resolve these inconsistencies. The Orthodox, it seems, got there first.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

You and me both. Once you've got the dogma that Father Gregory described, I can see how you can read St John Chrysostom (at least the portions we've looked at so far) in the light of it. But I'm completely flummoxed by the idea that you can read the dogma in what he actually says. To quote Father Gregory, I just can't see it. For St John, God's wrath really does seem to be intrinsic to Him.

The total irony of this for me is that I wouldn't personally have gone down this road of looking at the Fathers' commentaries on key scriptures but for andreas' encouragement to do so! I really did not expect to see what I've seen.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
In the Scriptural context, the context of the history of an ancient people, it would make no sense for love to be harmful. Instead they perceived it, and described it, as anger.

In my secular context, as a modern person, it still makes no sense for love to be harmful.

That's my trouble with the idea. If I perceive it as anger, I'm afraid that I'm stuck with describing it as anger unless I can rationalize my understanding of it. Discipline I can do that for - that's clear - and that's my understanding of God's anger. But, as we keep saying, that's not what's being suggested in these last 2 pages.

[ 05. March 2008, 11:53: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

Scripture is unambiguous as to whether God is acting in a way that helps or harms people, regardless of whether they are good or bad. He helps good people, and He hinders bad ones. In the Scriptural context, the context of the history of an ancient people, it would make no sense for love to be harmful. Instead they perceived it, and described it, as anger.

The only trouble is that this point of view is not actually consistent with the larger concept of God as He is presented throughout Scripture, and especially by Jesus. Ancient people, children, and uneducated people, are untroubled by these kinds of inconsistencies. But we are. At least, I hope we are.

The evolution of the idea, as I see it, traces back to the need to resolve these inconsistencies. The Orthodox, it seems, got there first.

That is very clear, and I understand you. I suppose for both mdijon and me (certainly for me) there are two problems with "The Orthodox got there first".

1. At present we can't see how they got "there"

2. We're not altogether convinced that "there" is a good place to have got to anyway.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Quite. I'm still with the ancients and uneducated peoples. With milk and cookies.

[ 05. March 2008, 14:19: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
In my secular context, as a modern person, it still makes no sense for love to be harmful.

That's my trouble with the idea. If I perceive it as anger, I'm afraid that I'm stuck with describing it as anger unless I can rationalize my understanding of it. Discipline I can do that for - that's clear - and that's my understanding of God's anger. But, as we keep saying, that's not what's being suggested in these last 2 pages.

When a judge pronounces a sentence there are always two obvious ways of seeing it. The same words are painful for the one who loses the case, and pain-relieving for the one who wins.

For example, a loving judge who sets an innocent man free is seen as loving by the innocent man and his supporters, but as unsympathetic by those who believe the man is guilty or who believe themselves to have been hurt by him. Objectively it may be hard to determine with certainty whether the judge's actions are in fact loving or not.

Similarly, a loving judge who correctly understands that a criminal is a threat and has him placed where can't hurt people is doing something that is loving. The criminal, however, is likely to see it as angry.

Another example would be the actions of a political leader. One person may see G.W. Bush as a loving president who correctly interpreted the sad situation of the people of Iraq and moved effectively to ease their sorrows. Another person may interpret the very same actions as foolish and angry.

In fact in any war the "heroic" actions of soldiers who are seen as loving and protecting their country are typically seen as wicked and barbaric by the enemy.

All of these examples, though, would involve literal actions and words that would be obviously and unambiguously negative to someone. Bullets fired in love, and judgments pronounced from a loving motive, nevertheless do what they do.

So I understand that it is hard to understand how the divine love itself can be perceived as harsh and angry, unless you resort to metaphors about how creatures who love the darkness hate the light. This is how Jesus addressed it:
quote:
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
So maybe the easier comparison is to understand how light could be seen as harmful. Light and warmth are easy metaphors for truth and love. Just as evil needs figurative "darkness" to work in, it also needs the cold.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record (again) - but any protestant sermon might contain those illustrations and interpretations of them. The judgement may have a loving basis, but be interpreted as wrath - but it is wrath. All that is being said is that wrath is not inconsistent with love. This is not too dissimilar to the illustration as the parent angry with his/her child for the sake of their safety. Judgement and punishment are argued to be consistent with love.

(Although a slight difference is that love for the child might be a direct motivator for punishment, but a sense of justice motivates judgement despite love - that's rather different).

The quote from John seems to me a simple statement of how evil hates scrutiny.

But it is deeply unfair to set up a dynamic where you serve up a series of well described, thoughtfull illustrations supported with scripture and I shrug and say "no, that's not it - let me try another" like a nervous teenager before a date in clothes shop.

Perhaps the problem is that I've read too much into the original description of perception of wrath - and I should go back a few pages and start again. But it did seem to me that what Fr G and Andreas were describing was quite different to simply finding an explanation for a loving motive with wrath.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Quite. I'm still with the ancients and uneducated peoples. With milk and cookies.

[Killing me] Well, you're clearly with me, I'm getting ancient, and I'm certainly theologically uneducated! Time for my afternoon cuppa and chocolate chip .....

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Like all good Calvinists I'm completely (lactose) intolerant.
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think the real issue is that God does not act visibly in the world. What we find in Scripture are descriptions of God's actions seen through a heavily anthropomorphized lens. It is simply impossible that Moses and Abraham could have actually argued or bargained with God Himself and persuaded Him to change His mind. The God of Scripture is seen, especially in the Old Testament, as simply a very powerful Man who has all kinds of human characteristics. This can't be the reality.

But it's a history of man arguing with and relating to God on a personal, person to person, basis. Even way back Sarah is known for getting God to do her will. Isn't this a characteristic 'difference' between the God of Abraham and others? Abraham walked with God as friend; this is all about personal encounter and relationship rather than God who is worshipped at a remove.

quote:
Because of this, Scripture is unambiguous as to whether God is acting in a way that helps or harms people, regardless of whether they are good or bad. He helps good people, and He hinders bad ones. In the Scriptural context, the context of the history of an ancient people, it would make no sense for love to be harmful. Instead they perceived it, and described it, as anger.
How is this affected by Christ's teaching to view God, and to emulate, as the God who loves as he sends rain, on the good and evil both alike?

Myrrh

[ 05. March 2008, 23:02: Message edited by: Myrrh ]

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry to sound like a broken record (again)

Welcome to the broken LP club. There is a special this week on Lattes.
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Like all good Calvinists I'm completely (lactose) intolerant.

I had a good chuckle, Numpty, but you did cause me to reflect on what has happened on this thread in recent pages. Given Johnny S's response to Father Gregory's post re 1 John 4, so far as I can see, the only argument outstanding against our understanding that there is wrath in the heart of God re sin is this one from andreas.
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
Numpty has clearly shown how John Chrysostom held to a view of God's wrath.

Numpty did nothing of the sort. He might have thought he did, but he actually didn't. You are doing to the fathers what you do to the bible, and you end up understanding none of them.

Like I said, Saint John Chrysostom was guiding others, by the hand, towards God. And this means that he was giving road signs, towards God, not God himself. You are thinking that St. John Chrysostom, like Apostle Paul, did something different, that what he said is actually true in absolute terms about God himself. Ask yourself the question, did Saint John speak to beginners or to perfects? Did Saint Paul write to beginners or to perfects in the faith? I am giving you spiritual milk, comes to mind. Over and over again you are treating with milk as if it was solid food. It's not.

The more I have thought about, the more useful I think it is as an argument. Why, whenever you make a mistake in a sermon, Numpty, and receive a criticism, you can turn to the critic and say, with gracious condescension, "I was only trying to point you in the right direction; the truth is deeper than I said, but you may not be quite ready for it yet - we'll need to talk some more". Then you can reinterpret yourself with impunity! At a stroke, you can remove any possibility that anything you say can be described as erroneous.

This spiritual milk argument is powerful indeed. But it does have the unfortunate effect of placing the interpretation of the real meat in the hands of others. For example, one can say about two sayings from the same person.

"That one was spiritual milk"

"But this one is the real red meat!"

It is a neat trick, isn't it. So I thought, perhaps someone can explain to me how one distinguishes between red meat and milk? What is the exegetical standard.

And then I decided to have a look at its origins in scripture - and got a nice surprise. This is spiritual milk, not solid food, according to the author of Hebrews (5 v 11 ff).

quote:
11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
By this spiritual milk interpretation, St John is teaching "the elementary truths of God's word". That is spiritual milk. Elementary truth. Such as God's wrath against sin is intrinsic to His nature.

I'll drink to that.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By this spiritual milk interpretation, St John is teaching "the elementary truths of God's word". That is spiritual milk. Elementary truth. Such as God's wrath against sin is intrinsic to His nature.
I'll drink to that.

Hmmn, not really sure it is all that simple, though, Barnabas. Taken as a literal statement, and properly understood, I would not demur at the above. Truely, God is "agin" sin! Not only agin it, but wrathful towards it, that is, willing to act in such a way as to end it, which is the way in which I understand wrath to be defined, not only anger, but determination to act on that anger. I suspect, in those terms, our Orthodox brethren would be happy enough with the concept, though they would probably find the way in which the concept is expressed deeply unsatisfactory.

However, it is, I suspect, the percieved identity between "bringing sin to an end" and "punishment" which is deeply problematic, probably for them, certainly for me. Because I just can't see any necessary link between the two. Indeed, if we are talking about sin, we cannot really talk about punishment at all - how do you punish a non-sentient concept. So punishment is only really meningful if we talk about sentient beings being punished. Hence we cannot talk, as some PSAers do, of our sin being punished in Christ. We could say that our sin is being judged in Christ, or that Christ is the locus of sin's destruction, but if we talk about sin being dealt with by punishment, then we have to say that Christ is punished for our sins, and that formula is usually rejected as a simplistic misunderstanding of "true" PSA.

However this might be, I still don't understand this obsession that in any way punishment is an effective way of dealing with sin, or even that punishment is in any way just. My thinking here is that the only truely just outcome of judgement is that the harm done by sin should be undone, if you like, the restoration of all things. It is not "just" (adj) that the perpetrator suffers in the same way as the victim, what would be just is that the effects of the offence be undone, for both the perpetrator and the victim. This is what I understand to have been enabled by the cross, actualised by the resurrection and consumated at the eschaton.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Just saying that St John C is teaching it, JJ. I'm not as PSA as Numpty, more your common or garden CV who sees value in SA. I think St J C teaches vicarious atonement and haven't yet seen any refutation of Numpty's claim to see elements of PSA in his teaching as well.

Don't forget the heart of the argument over the past two pages is whether it is correct to argue that God is wrathful in his heart re sin, rather than our sinfulness makes us experience Him this way.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Jolly Jape posted:So punishment is only really meaningful if we talk about sentient beings being punished.
I agree.
quote:
Hence we cannot talk, as some PSAers do, of our sin being punished in Christ.
Point taken. Although I think it would be fair to say that this depends on how far a sinner has identified with sinfulness as a state of being. In other words, it depends on how far they are prepared to accept that they are sinful, rather than just sinning.
quote:
We could say that our sin is being judged in Christ, or that Christ is the locus of sin's destruction, but if we talk about sin being dealt with by punishment, then we have to say that Christ is punished for our sins, and that formula is usually rejected as a simplistic misunderstanding of "true" PSA.
I'd take that further by saying that we ourselves are punished in Christ. Christ is the locus of sin's destruction because Christ is the locus of sinful people. We must take our sin into Christ and die with him as per Romans 6.6:
quote:
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

[ 06. March 2008, 13:28: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ your post raises thoughts in me concerning the distinction between 'nature' and 'person'. Where does Sin arise (and thus where does it need to be 'dealt with')?

If 'Sin' arises from our human 'nature' then, of course, this will work itself out in personhood (I, Richard Collins, committed THAT Sin etc...) but to tether Sin to personhood and, thinking it's origin is there, to seek to remove it by punishing personhood is too superficial an approach.

No, the nature itself needs transformation - but this doesn't fit into punitive language since we are only used to punishing 'people' not natures. Doesn't St Paul say, 'God condemned Sin in the flesh (=fallen nature) of Christ Jesus' or such like? Of course condemned means 'put to death' which is penal language but also quite literally graphic concerning the death of fallen Adam in Christ's crucifixion.

Thus, what God 'destroyed', wasn't a person, but corrupt human nature as it resides within a particular person (namely the hypostatic union between the logos and flesh-from-Mary).

Just a randomn thought...

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd take that further by saying that we ourselves are punished in Christ. Christ is the locus of sin's destruction because Christ is the locus of sinful people. We must take our sin into Christ and die with him as per Romans 6.6:

Numpty, this is the distinction I'm trying to get under the skin of. If you say 'we take our sin into Christ' in terms of our 'nature' then I would agree with you, but if you mean our personhood then I struggle to see how that happens, since I remain I and Christ remains Christ (I do not become the Logos, nor does the Logos become Richard Collins). I think this is why I struggle with the idea of penal-substitution if it refers to some sort of 'culpability exchange' (since persons are culpable). However if we are refering to some sort of 'essential/natural exchange' then I couldn't agree more.

However, I feel like I'm operating on the limits of thought so will need to process this some more.

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Hmmn, not really sure it is all that simple, though, Barnabas. Taken as a literal statement, and properly understood, I would not demur at the above. Truely, God is "agin" sin! Not only agin it, but wrathful towards it, that is, willing to act in such a way as to end it, which is the way in which I understand wrath to be defined, not only anger, but determination to act on that anger. I suspect, in those terms, our Orthodox brethren would be happy enough with the concept, though they would probably find the way in which the concept is expressed deeply unsatisfactory.

However, it is, I suspect, the percieved identity between "bringing sin to an end" and "punishment" which is deeply problematic, probably for them, certainly for me.

I decided to explain further after reading Numpty and in particular, comment on the italicised section of your quote.

Looking at the way this has gone, I feel it is all my fault! What seems like aeons ago, I posted, innocently, a Wikipedia article which offered the opinion that Substitutionary Atonement (PSA without the P, you note) was a common belief in all mainstream forms of Christianity. Father Gregory and andreas both said that Substitution was a problem to the Orthodox as well (which was contrary to the Wikipedia article). Following advice I looked at commentaries from St J C and St Cyril which to my relatively inexperienced eye looked like support for substitution (I substituted the word "vicarious" for "substitution" - although it means pretty much the same, it was the word used my a commentator on the St J C Homily who also stated that St J C affirmed vicarious atonement).

My interpretation was denied as valid and the exchanges drew attention to the issue of God's wrath. Father Gregory and andreas both argued, at least as far as I could see, that wrath was not intrinsic to God at all, it was the way sinners experienced Him. Well, I went back to the early Fathers who I had been encouraged to read and couldn't find even a hint of that view anywhere. The Numpty tossed in his view that not only could he see SA, he could see PSA plus a few other protestant goodies in the words of St J C. After further exchanges, andreas observed that we protestants were always mistaking real food for spiritual milk when we read the Fathers or Scripture!

So in its strange meandering way, the thread had ceased to focus on substitution or punishment, but on the nature of wrath! And of course, if one believes that wrath is not in God, then one must look at the atonement differently than if one believes wrath is in God.

I hope that potted summary helps a bit - it's also open to correction, but in in case it is the way I've seen the argument go.

So I'm not even sure that the Orthodox who have argued here would agree that God is intrinsically wrathful against sin. I'm sure they believe He is agin it, but His aginness seems to be expressed as sorrow, rather than anger (that is from reading Kallistos Ware, rather than Father G or andreas).

I rather hope that an Orthodox Shipmate will come along to let you know whether they see truth in your form of words. As things stand, and based on what has been said, I'm not sure they would even go that far.

[ 06. March 2008, 14:11: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
So God's love and God's wrath are, according to this view, essentially the same "energy"? (Is that the right word?)

I don't think so. In the Second Coming, there will be a restoration of all... And God's love will be shown to all... But not all will partake in it... So, the wrath and the sorrow and the fire and the worm and whatever, does not have to do with God Himself, but with some people not partaking in God but remaining in themselves...

The abyss is our own, the poverty is our own... And when deny God's love, when we choose not to partake in God, we live in our own abyss, which is hell.

It's not that we will partake in God's love but we will misunderstand it as wrath... We will not partake at all even though our nature will be restored... and we will not partake because we won't want to, because we will prefer selfishness to selflessness.

Wrath has been connected with punishment in this thread, yet I explained how St. John's passage on punishment refers to the punishment that is sin itself and not some kind of punishment God is supposed to give... So, the link, the connection between God's wrath and God's punishing us (or Christ) is broken... by the very verses you pointed to from St. John!

God experiences neither wrath nor sorrow, He is Love, and change has no place in his nature.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Andreas said:[b]I explained how St. John's passage on punishment refers to the punishment that is sin itself and not some kind of punishment God is supposed to give... So, the link, the connection between God's wrath and God's punishing us (or Christ) is broken... by the very verses you pointed to from St. John!
No you didn't. You might think you did but that's because you're reading Saint John Chrysostom through the theological presupposition that he can't be saying that God is outraged. Sadly, you've given youself theological indigestion by trying to gorge yourself on rump steak when you haven't been properly weaned.

[ 06. March 2008, 15:14: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984
quote:

I don't think so. In the Second Coming, there will be a restoration of all... And God's love will be shown to all... But not all will partake in it... So, the wrath and the sorrow and the fire and the worm and whatever, does not have to do with God Himself, but with some people not partaking in God but remaining in themselves...
Father G corrected my misunderstanding of what he was saying here. I'm happy with his correction.

andreas, I think you are still saying, and may be compelled to say, that there is no wrath in God. And of course one of the values of these exchanges is that it is clear to me, and I guess everyone else, that if you believe there is no wrath in God it will radically affect the way you see both atonement and the sacrifice of Christ.

Both mdijon and I (and I suspect several other regulars and onlookers) would appreciate some further guidance on the establishment of the belief within Orthodoxy that there is no wrath in God. For example, is this belief dealt with directly in any of the discussions and decisions of the ecumenical councils?

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Well, we could begin with the Scriptures, since they are Orthodox documents...

But since we are speaking about Saint John Chrysostom, I will quote from a work of his, a letter actually to one of his friends, a work I love greatly.

quote:
And speak not to me of those who have committed small sins, but suppose the case of one who is filled full of all wickedness, and let him practice everything which excludes him from the kingdom, and let us suppose that this man is not one of those who were unbelievers from the beginning, but formerly belonged to the believers, and such as were well pleasing to God, but afterwards has become a fornicator, adulterer, effeminate, a thief, a drunkard, a sodomite, a reviler, and everything else of this kind; I will not approve even of this man despairing of himself, although he may have gone on to extreme old age in the practice of this great and unspeakable wickedness.

For if the wrath of God were a passion, one might well despair as being unable to quench the flame which he had kindled by so many evil doings; but since the Divine nature is passionless, even if He punishes, even if He takes vengeance, he does this not with wrath, but with tender care, and much loving-kindness; wherefore it behoves us to be of much good courage, and to trust in the power of repentance.

For even those who have sinned against Him He is not wont to visit with punishment for His own sake; for no harm can traverse that divine nature; but He acts with a view to our advantage, and to prevent our perverseness becoming worse by our making a practice of despising and neglecting Him. For even as one who places himself outside the light inflicts no loss on the light, but the greatest upon himself being shut up in darkness; even so he who has become accustomed to despise that almighty power, does no injury to the power, but inflicts the greatest possible injury upon himself.

And for this reason God threatens us with punishments, and often inflicts them, not as avenging Himself, but by way of attracting us to Himself. For a physician also is not distressed or vexed at the insults of those who are out of their minds, but yet does and contrives everything for the purpose of stopping those who do such unseemly acts, not looking to his own interests but to their profit; and if they manifest some small degree of self-control and sobriety he rejoices and is glad, and applies his remedies much more earnestly, not as revenging himself upon them for their former conduct, but as wishing to increase their advantage, and to bring them back to a purely sound state of health.

Even so God when we fall into the very extremity of madness, says and does everything, not by way of avenging Himself on account of our former deeds; but because He wishes to release us from our disorder; and by means of right reason it is quite possible to be convinced of this.

I broke the one paragraph down so that it could be easier to read. I took it from here (par 4)

I will also quote from another work I have in my heart, a discussion St. John Damascene had with a Manichean. In that work, Christianity opposes Manichaism, and it is very helpful to see what the Christian worldview is.

quote:
And this, you should also know [the Orthodox says to the Manichean] that God does not punish anybody in the world to be, but each makes himself recipient of God. And the participation of God is joy, but the non-participation is hell. And in this world, God does not bring upon men temptations to punish them, but to teach them and heal them of their wickedness, so that we get to know him, and return and receive his holiness, "because the teaching of the Lord opens my eyes".
(translation mine, paragraph 44)

[ 06. March 2008, 15:50: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
For if the wrath of God were a passion, one might well despair as being unable to quench the flame which he had kindled by so many evil doings; but since the Divine nature is passionless, even if He punishes, even if He takes vengeance, he does this not with wrath, but with tender care, and much loving-kindness; wherefore it behoves us to be of much good courage, and to trust in the power of repentance.
Now I think we may be making progress! The first clause (up to the semicolon) may actually be taken to confirm that wrath is intrinsic to God, but it must not be taken to be the same as human wrath. The second clause confirms that the way he acts on his wrath is not the same as human beings do. My summary and precis of this paragraph is that God is just and acts justly.

So andreas, I do not think St John is denying wrath in God, he is defining wrath in God and God's consequential actions in terms equivalent to the actions of the best of judges. And I think he does a good job.

quote:
And this, you should also know, the Orthodox says to the Manichean, that God does not punish anybody in the world to be, but each makes himself recipient of God. And the participation of God is joy, but the non-participation is hell. And in this world, God does not bring upon men temptations to punish them, but to teach them and heal them of their wickedness, so that we get to know him, and return and receive his holiness, "because the teaching of the Lord opens my eyes".
Or as C S Lewis put it in "The Great Divorce" (you really should try that book!) the world of human beings divides into two groups.

The first group say to God "Your will be done"

The second group hear from God "Your will be done". Apart from the grace and mercy of God, we will reap what we sow. And that also is God the Just at work.

I think it is possible to see the truth in both quotes and believe what I do, that there is wrath in God re sin. But wrath is not the language I normally use myself - justice is. See my recent post re Amos 5.

I'm not quite sure about impassibility; it strikes me as much more a Greek thought than a Judaistic one. But I see the truth in both of these quotes.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
My summary and precis of this paragraph is that God is just and acts justly.

That's your thought, not St. John's! Where did he speak of justice in that paragraph I quoted? Nowhere. Why? Because God is not just...

Or, like Saint Isaac the Syrian wrote:

quote:
Do not call God just, for His justice is not manifest in the things concerning you. And if David calls Him just and upright, His Son revealed to us that He is good and kind. 'He is good,' He says, 'to the evil and to the impious'. How can you call God just when you come across the Scriptural passage on the wage given to the workers? 'Friend, I do thee no wrong: I will give unto this last even as unto thee. Is thine eye evil because I am good?'. How can a man call God just when he comes across the passage on the prodigal son who wasted his wealth with riotous living, how for the compunction alone which he showed, the father ran and fell upon his neck and gave him authority over all his wealth? None other but His very Son said these things concerning Him, lest we doubt it; and thus He bare witness concerning Him. Where, then, is God's justice, for whilst we are sinners Christ died for us! But if here He is merciful, we may believe that He will not change.

Far be it that we should ever think such an iniquity that God could become unmerciful! For the property of Divinity does not change as do mortals. God does not acquire something which He does not have, nor lose what He has, nor supplement what He does have, as do created beings. But what God has from the beginning, He will have and has until the [unending] end, as the blest Cyril wrote in his commentary on Genesis.

The problem could be that you think God is just, when he is not. Saint John did not speak of justice, but of healing. The wrath, Numpty insists on, according to St. John is not because of justice, but out of compassion. Which is why it's no wrath at all, but when we are broken we can't see that.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, that's a shame! You're right of course that it was my precis.

God not just? andreas, you amaze me! The Father you quote is making a quite reasonable antithesis between our human understandings of justice and the way in which God's actions are imbued with grace and mercy! God the Judge is infintely better in His application of justice than the standards of justice we might get from the best human lawcourts. In normal discourse, the opposite of just is not merciful, it is unjust! I am sure St Isaac is not saying that God is unjust. For an unjust God would not be a good God.

Let justice roll on like a river, and righteousness like a never failing stream. Get a concordance, look up all of the OT and NT references to justice and judging, and then tell me that God is an unjust Judge.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016