homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 58)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
I'm not sure that I understand you reasoning here, John.

I'm not sure I do either. [Big Grin]

I'm just trying to recreate (in my mind) what the idea you, and others, have used about identity would look like in practice.

quote:
However, I see the relationship between destructiveness and sin as more an identity than a chain of events.

What I'm trying to say is that if you take this 'identity' concept I'm not so sure that it is possible to distinguish forgiveness from consequences in the way GreyFace has done. Isn't the whole point that it is all bound up in identity?

It could well be that I've misunderstood the atonement model being put forward though.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Language, again, I'm afraid. I was using identity in the sense of destructiveness and sin being identical, rather than being our, human, identity.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Language, again, I'm afraid. I was using identity in the sense of destructiveness and sin being identical, rather than being our, human, identity.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah, okay ... still, I heard you the first time. [Biased]
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I accept the Scriptures in toto. I believe that every word was written by God Himself. But the contradictions are obvious and we need to have a way to resolve them.

Have another look at what you wrote here Freddy. And think about what the word contradiction actually means.

Just winding you up really, but seriously... the way I see scripture is that 'if God wrote it, it couldn't contradict itself and so ,..if it seems to... then I must be misunderstanding it or misinterpreting it somewhere.'

Now while this view leads to circularity and therefore is certainly no logical proof of anything, I'd remind myself we are dealing here with a being way beyond our limited minds to comprehend.

I think you can find, in PSA for instance, a system where love and judgement meet. This is why I believe it really.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Your point being perhaps that forgiveness in the heart of the wronged party is sufficient for the process.

Not at all, just that it must be the precursor of the restoration of relationship. It must already exist for the wronged party to want to instigate the relationship's rescue mission. You go on to address this...

quote:
It would be if forgiveness in the sense we understand God to forgive us was not more of a transaction or contract perhaps. In other words it is one thing to offer it, another to accept the offer.
Quite so but you seem to me to be departing from the standard PSA line a bit here, which is that God could not forgive us unless someone is punished for our sins. I'm arguing that God must pre-emptively forgive otherwise why the rescue mission? Therefore Christ's atoning work must be not to appease God but rather to make it possible for us to receive the benefits. How that works and why it's necessary is the next step in soteriology but it seems to me to be a key point that God's forgiveness must come before it all.

This fits IMHO the biblical picture of Christ announcing the forgiveness of sins before his crucifixion, much better than the hard-core PSA approach of saying that he could do it because he knew what was going to happen.

quote:
In PSA terms, the offer is made on the basis of Christ having taken the 'rap' due to the sinner,
But don't you see that if God forgives before the rap is taken, then the rap can't have been taken in order to enable God to forgive? It must have been for some other reason.

quote:
but the process is only complete when the sinner accepts the benefit of what God, in Christ did.
And so we circle round again.

No, I don't think that's controversial and it's not specific to PSA. The reason I question PSA is that it says things about God that Holy Scripture doesn't (at least when I read it - I acknowledge that YMMV and almost certainly does).

I know we can get into all sorts of theological knots with questions like the one I'm going to ask but I'll do it anyway because it illustrates the point. If Christ had not died for us, do you believe the Father would not forgive those who with true repentance turn to him?

Ok, but if it exists as a precursor, in what sense is it effective? It seems to me to be more, in that sense, indicative of God's willingness to accept the sinner, (Call it pre-emptive forgiveness if you like,)rather than his having already done so. The sinner still has to do his bit.

The point you make about appeasement is really the sticking point though. I frankly don't understand what's wrong with a 'both/and' approach. We receive the benefits of God's love and willingness to forgive because of 'appeasement.' Now if appeasement is a red button word, why not substitute 'atonement' or as some translations do, 'reconciliation'.(Romans 5:11) Whatever, you do to verbalize it, It seems to me that Christ has done something no one else could, and without his having done it we would still be lost and without hope because of the evil ethos into which we were born, and which holds us ,in our natural state, in its grip.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the way I see scripture is that 'if God wrote it, it couldn't contradict itself and so ,..if it seems to... then I must be misunderstanding it or misinterpreting it somewhere.'

That's exactly how I see it too. Of course it relies on the idea that "contradiction" is a concept that applies to God. I think it does, as does the normal definition of love, mercy, etc.
quote:
I'd remind myself we are dealing here with a being way beyond our limited minds to comprehend.

Sure, but if you mean that we must accept a description of God's "mercy" that seems monstrous, then it's just an excuse.

PSA is just such a system, in my opinion. It is simply wrong for anyone, God or man, to be somehow "satisfied" by punishment, much less "blood". It is simply wrong to think that the genuine spiritual merit of one can be imputed to another.

[ 31. May 2008, 11:12: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
]Sure, but if you mean that we must accept a description of God's "mercy" that seems monstrous, then it's just an excuse.

PSA is just such a system, in my opinion. It is simply wrong for anyone, God or man, to be somehow "satisfied" by punishment, much less "blood". It is simply wrong to think that the genuine spiritual merit of one can be imputed to another.

Well regarding blood, it was the one stipulation the apostles put on Paul's gospel to gentiles. They must not eat blood.

Why was this if somehow God did not see blood as a key of great importance to God?

You are familiar with the mosaic injunction "The life of the flesh is in the blood"(Deut 12:23)

It seems that sin costs life then. Now this is both literal and metaphorical. Jesus blood was literally shed, his life literally laid down. It becomes also a metaphor to help us understand a spiritual reality. There are no literal bloodstains on us, but God literally looks down on a believer and sees him/her as righteous by virtue of real blood, that was a real cost of a real life.

We've been here before but if it wasn't necessary, God would not have required it. If I read you correctly Freddy, you think that this makes God if he would have required it for salvation, some kind of a monster.

In my view, it simply underlines the serious ness and destructive power of sin. Had God not allowed the blood of his son as an atonement, sin would continue to separate us from God and ultimately destroy us. As James says, sin when it is finished, brings forth death. (Jas 1:15)

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well regarding blood, it was the one stipulation the apostles put on Paul's gospel to gentiles. They must not eat blood.

Why was this if somehow God did not see blood as a key of great importance to God?

It was because of the meaning that blood had. It was not literally about blood.

It was like what Jesus said about the "leaven of the Pharisees":
quote:
Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said to them, “Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.” ...11 How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread?—but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
It wasn't about leaven at all. It was about their false teachings.

The same is true of blood, flesh and bread in John:
quote:
John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”
53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”

Jesus was not actually bread, and He didn't literally mean that anyone should eat and drink His flesh and blood. His flesh and bread are His goodness and love, come down from heaven. His blood, or wine, is the truth that He taught. The blood that He shed, or poured out, was the truth that He gave us, and that humanity treated with violence.
quote:
We've been here before but if it wasn't necessary, God would not have required it. If I read you correctly Freddy, you think that this makes God if he would have required it for salvation, some kind of a monster.

Yes, that's right. Jesus is God. Bloodshed was not required by God. Rather bloodshed was offered by humanity as we rejected God's love and truth - and God allowed us to do that.

So in a good sense, blood is necessary for salvation because truth is necessary for salvation - teaching us to change our ways. In a negative sense the shedding of blood was a necessary acting out of humanity's rejection of God - as a first step leading to repenting from that rejection. This is why Jesus said that He would bring evil out of the darkness so that it could be seen.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

John 6:55 Jesus says my blood is real drink. He nowhere suggests that of leaven. In the NT it is as you say a type. Blood, however, is not seen as simply typological is it? It is literally about life or life force. To shed blood is to take life. Jesus' shed blood covers our sin because God accepted that his life was given for us. This is a scriptural fact. The questions at issue over the last 57 pages are why it was necessary as well as how it works for us.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
[QUOTE][qb]In PSA terms, the offer is made on the basis of Christ having taken the 'rap' due to the sinner,

But don't you see that if God forgives before the rap is taken, then the rap can't have been taken in order to enable God to forgive? It must have been for some other reason.[QUOTE][qb]

The logic here only works if you see the offer of forgiveness as forgiveness itself, ie the completed transaction.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
quote:
In PSA terms, the offer is made on the basis of Christ having taken the 'rap' due to the sinner,
But don't you see that if God forgives before the rap is taken, then the rap can't have been taken in order to enable God to forgive? It must have been for some other reason.

The logic here only works if you see the offer of forgiveness as forgiveness itself, ie the completed transaction.

...which is, of course, the position that I and others take. That is not to say that I do not need to live in that forgiveness for its benefits to accrue to me*, but, as far as God is concerned, it's a done deal and always has been.

*just to avoid any confusion, I do not, as I assume you realise, count eternal life (as in, going to heaven) as one of those benefits. The mechanism for saving us, in the sense of our eternal destiny, as opposed to quality of life here and now, is completely separate from forgiveness, as I see it.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
John 6:55 Jesus says my blood is real drink. He nowhere suggests that of leaven.

Jesus' blood is real drink because His truth is the only thing that will genuinely satisfy our real, that is our spiritual, thirst.

Jesus speaks this way repeatedly about hunger and thirst. For example:
quote:
John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
Why won't they hunger and thirst? Because coming to Him and believing in Him are genuine spiritual food and drink that last forever. He said this to the woman at the well:
quote:
John 4:14 "Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
Why will they never thirst? Because the words of Jesus will last forever. This is what Amos the prophet spoke about:
quote:
Amos 8:11 “ Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord GOD, “ That I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine of bread, Nor a thirst for water, But of hearing the words of the LORD."
Humanity would hunger and thirst for the truth and the goodness that result from people hearing and obeying it. So Jesus promised:
quote:
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
They shall be filled because they will hear the truth and obey it. This will change the world.

Jesus spoke about the fact that doing the will of the Father is food:
quote:
John 4:31 In the meantime His disciples urged Him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.”
32 But He said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.”
33 Therefore the disciples said to one another, “Has anyone brought Him anything to eat?”
34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.

This is a pattern of meaning that is present throughout the Bible. There is no question in my mind that this what Jesus' meaning was.
quote:
In the NT it is as you say a type. Blood, however, is not seen as simply typological is it? It is literally about life or life force. To shed blood is to take life.

Yes, blood is equated with life because the Word is life, Jesus' words are life, life is truth:
quote:
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
To "shed" this life, or literally to "pour it out" is to give it to humanity, or conversely, to attempt to destroy it. This is what happened to Christ as the Word, rejected by humanity. But since it cannot be destroyed the effect is just the opposite - the killers are exposed.
quote:
Jesus' shed blood covers our sin because God accepted that his life was given for us. This is a scriptural fact.

Yes, His life is given for us. But it is not that God accepted this life as payment. Rather, the giving overcame the power of evil. Jesus is God.

[ 02. June 2008, 11:04: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

...which is, of course, the position that I and others take. That is not to say that I do not need to live in that forgiveness for its benefits to accrue to me*, but, as far as God is concerned, it's a done deal and always has been.

*just to avoid any confusion, I do not, as I assume you realise, count eternal life (as in, going to heaven) as one of those benefits. The mechanism for saving us, in the sense of our eternal destiny, as opposed to quality of life here and now, is completely separate from forgiveness, as I see it.

Well, given this comment, Johnny's earlier argument about your position collapsing into universalism seems to apply.

Regarding 'eternal life,' There is a logic to believing that since I am forgiven for my sins I am now in a covenant relationship with God through Jesus' blood that does assure me of an eternal destiny in his presence.

If you see salvation as a separate issue, how can you be assured you have it?

I recall in Acts when the people cried out 'Men and brethren, what must we do?' The injunction was to repent and be baptised. Repentance and forgiveness are surely theological correlatives, impossible to separate.

It just seems to me that the more you look at what you have in a CV scenario, the more you haven't actually got anything except a hope based on an assertion of God's nature of goodness, that refuses to allow anyone to be lost; hence, universalism. And the hope is based on a lot of allegorising of scripture since a literalistic interpretation is offensive because it implies as you say,'God is less than he is.'

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
John 6:55 Jesus says my blood is real drink. He nowhere suggests that of leaven.

Jesus' blood is real drink because His truth is the only thing that will genuinely satisfy our real, that is our spiritual, thirst.

Jesus speaks this way repeatedly about hunger and thirst. For example:
quote:
John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
Why won't they hunger and thirst? Because coming to Him and believing in Him are genuine spiritual food and drink that last forever. He said this to the woman at the well:
quote:
John 4:14 "Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
Why will they never thirst? Because the words of Jesus will last forever. This is what Amos the prophet spoke about:
quote:
Amos 8:11 “ Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord GOD, “ That I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine of bread, Nor a thirst for water, But of hearing the words of the LORD."
Humanity would hunger and thirst for the truth and the goodness that result from people hearing and obeying it. So Jesus promised:
quote:
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
They shall be filled because they will hear the truth and obey it. This will change the world.

Jesus spoke about the fact that doing the will of the Father is food:
quote:
John 4:31 In the meantime His disciples urged Him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.”
32 But He said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.”
33 Therefore the disciples said to one another, “Has anyone brought Him anything to eat?”
34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.

This is a pattern of meaning that is present throughout the Bible. There is no question in my mind that this what Jesus' meaning was.
quote:
In the NT it is as you say a type. Blood, however, is not seen as simply typological is it? It is literally about life or life force. To shed blood is to take life.

Yes, blood is equated with life because the Word is life, Jesus' words are life, life is truth:
quote:
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
To "shed" this life, or literally to "pour it out" is to give it to humanity, or conversely, to attempt to destroy it. This is what happened to Christ as the Word, rejected by humanity. But since it cannot be destroyed the effect is just the opposite - the killers are exposed.
quote:
Jesus' shed blood covers our sin because God accepted that his life was given for us. This is a scriptural fact.

Yes, His life is given for us. But it is not that God accepted this life as payment. Rather, the giving overcame the power of evil. Jesus is God.

I guess, Freddy, that the words 'literal' and 'real' become meaningless when we start applying them to spritual truths.

In that we, in our 'ghost in the machine' form can apprehend the world beyond the physical, we have only concepts associated with the physical to create our analogies.

So yes, I agree with your thesis with the proviso that when we 'really' eat his flesh and 'drink' his blood, that something powerful, and transforming, is or should be, taking place.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by Jamat
Well, given this comment, Johnny's earlier argument about your position collapsing into universalism seems to apply.

Only, of necessity, if you accept that the primary problem of humans vis-a-vis God is moral guilt. As you are aware, I think the primary problem is an ontology bound to decay, as it were. We can be forgiven and still not inherit eternal life. CV is certainly compatible with universalism, but it is also compatible with de facto limited salvation.

quote:
Regarding 'eternal life,' There is a logic to believing that since I am forgiven for my sins I am now in a covenant relationship with God through Jesus' blood that does assure me of an eternal destiny in his presence.

If you see salvation as a separate issue, how can you be assured you have it?

Hmmn, let's see now. You have assurance of salvation because you trust in the merciful saving grace of God in Jesus. I have assurance of salvation because I trust in the merciful saving grace of God in Jesus. I don't see that having different views on how that saving grace is worked out affects the fundamentals at all. We both have assurance which is wholly dependant upon the desire of God to save us, and His willingness to act according to that desire: on His nature, if you like.

quote:
I recall in Acts when the people cried out 'Men and brethren, what must we do?' The injunction was to repent and be baptised. Repentance and forgiveness are surely theological correlatives, impossible to separate.

Well they are certainly key spiritual truths, no-one is disputing that. I'm certainly not saying that we don't need to repent in order to have the fullness of life in Christ. What I am saying is that the God forgive us our sins whether we repent or not, that is, that forgiveness is a necessary prerequisite for repentance, as the good Greyface of this parish explained. Repentance is the evidence that we have truely received that forgiveness, that it has made a difference to our lives. Baptism is the sacramental sign (to put it somewhat crudely) of that repentance; it, as it were, gathers the diversity of the many acts of repentance into one defined event, which is why Peter links the two.

quote:
It just seems to me that the more you look at what you have in a CV scenario, the more you haven't actually got anything except a hope based on an assertion of God's nature of goodness, that refuses to allow anyone to be lost; hence, universalism. And the hope is based on a lot of allegorising of scripture since a literalistic interpretation is offensive because it implies as you say,'God is less than he is.'

Well what is your hope in, if it's not in the Nature of God? I certaily can't think of anything more secure in which to rest my hope. I certainly believe in what you say I believe in, viz, that God refuses to allow anyone to be lost. I would believe that even if I didn't believe in CV, even if I were convinced that PSA is a doctrine to be found in the Scripture, because I believe it is what the Bible teaches. You interpret the texts differently. Heigh-ho [Biased] .

I don't think I go in for allegorising that much, though. That's more Freddy's tradition. I think there's a middle way between literalism and allegory. I suppose when I'm studying the Bible I hope for intelligent engagement with the text, regarding it as authoritative rather than inerrant or allegorical; true rather than forensically accurate or mythical , (though that doesn't preclude it being mythic)

I'm not sure that paragraph comes over with the right tone - I'm not trying to imply that you don't engage intelligently with the text, it's about how I approach the Bible. You will no doubt be able to find similarities and differences in our approaches.

[ 04. June 2008, 09:55: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sorry for the hit-and-run nature of my posting on this thread. Partly I've been busy, partly I have to summon up the effort to keep going when we get to fifty-odd pages [Biased]

Based on what you wrote above, I suspect what we're talking about now is completely irrelevant to the argument of the thread. I say that, because I think we're saying the same thing but just using slightly different alternative definitions of the word forgiveness. The two descriptions...

1. God offers forgiveness + we gratefully receive (repentance, baptism) -> Salvation
2. God forgives, offers reconciliation + we gratefully accept (repentance, baptism) -> Salvation

...are functionally identically. You changed (quite possibly inadvertently) the goalposts a few posts back when you started saying that we need to respond in order for the soteriological transaction to take place. Before that, the question was different. It was the claim that Christ needed to suffer our punishment before God would forgive us (or in your terms, offer forgiveness). The two questions are not related although oddly people keep claiming they are, that is, that without PSA all soteriological models are universalist. This is just not the case.

I'm not arguing that a response from us is not required. I'm rather arguing that if Christ was acting according to the will of the Father, the Father's desire was for us to be saved from the consequences of our sin before atonement was made - and under the basic PSA model we're back to the paradox of a judge who personally forgives but is held to a higher authority and therefore cannot.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
So yes, I agree with your thesis with the proviso that when we 'really' eat his flesh and 'drink' his blood, that something powerful, and transforming, is or should be, taking place.

Yes, good. But what is it? My point is that “eating His flesh” and “drinking His blood” are about hearing His Word and doing His commandments. This is what is powerful and transforming, and this is how Jesus tells us that we are to be transformed.

He says:
quote:
John 6:56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

He also says:
quote:
John 15.9 Abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love.
It should be clear form these two passages that the eating and drinking that He is talking about is nothing other than believing and doing what He says. This is what causes us to abide in Him, to have everlasting life, to be His disciples, to never see death, and to have God make His home in us, as He says in these passages:
quote:
John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

John 5:24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life,

John 8:31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.

John 8:51 Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.”

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

Revelation 3:8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

The point is that references to Jesus’ flesh and blood are not obscure and inexplicable, but are easily understood metaphors that He Himself explains.

quote:
I guess, Freddy, that the words 'literal' and 'real' become meaningless when we start applying them to spritual truths.

Just the opposite. It is obvious to everyone that no one can literally eat Jesus’ flesh. Jesus explains that He means believing in him and doing His will when He says this. This is extremely meaningful.

Similarly, most people intuitively understand that the “true light” that Jesus brought was spiritual and not about physical brightness. So they have no trouble comprehending this verse:
quote:
John 1:9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.
Similarly, most people don’t struggle with the meaning of “true riches” or “treasures in heaven”:
quote:
Luke 16:11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

Matthew 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.

Everyone knows that the “true riches” and “treasures in heaven” are about salvation and eternal life.

Far from being meaningless, the distinction between a literal understanding and a genuine understanding is very meaningful and important.

So I think that it is a mistake to understand passages about Jesus blood as referring to God the Father’s demand of a blood payment. Jesus' blood is about His words, and the violence done to Him is about humanity's rejection of His Word. This should be abundantly clear from the New Testament.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
The two questions are not related although oddly people keep claiming they are, that is, that without PSA all soteriological models are universalist. This is just not the case.

I didn't say that all other models are universalist, but I do think that they eventually collapse down into universalism.

Since this thread compares CV with other models let's do that:

PSA - is a transactional model. It adopts easily the picture in Romans 4 of crediting wages to the person who has not earned it.

Now the thing about a transactional analogy is that it inherently includes the idea of receiving the transaction... whether, turning up to collect your coins, or paying the cheque into your bank account.

CV - is a battle model. It adopts easily the victory motif of Colossians 2.

However, the victory analogy does not include any sense of receiving the benefits. In battle, if the enemy is defeated, then the benefit is automatic.

Now, I repeat, I'm not saying that CV is universalist. Of course, it is possible to use CV and not be a universalist. I'm merely commenting on the overall effect of only using this model to explain the atonement.

I like CV and use it a lot to explain the gospel. However, if I dropped PSA from my 'bag' I think that the impression given would soon tend towards universalism.

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny, I'm not convinced any atonement model is transactional in the sense you mean and PSA is no exception. There are two parts in any atonement model, it seems to me.

1. How are the gates of heaven opened?
2. How do we walk through them?

The penal substitutionary bits of PSA are to do with part 1. The moral guilt problem (thanks for that phrase, JJ) is the barrier to our salvation that Christ has removed for us by taking responsibility for our sins and paying for them with his passion and with his life itself on the cross. Part 2 is a separate question - what must we do (without getting into Calvin vs Arminius) to be saved? Now clearly there are standard answers (repent and be baptised, have faith) but the fact remains that the moral guilt problem has been solved. I think of that as the completeness of Christ's atoning work.

Similarly for CV, the enemy that bars the way to eternal life is death (=sin =Satan) and Christ defeats that in his own death and resurrection. Atonement is complete, the gates of heaven are open, the part 1 problem is solved. We still have the exactly identical part 2 problem though of how we receive the benefits - and incidentally Calvin vs Arminius is still on the programme.

I don't see that one atonement model is more or less likely to result in universalism, and the fact that the Orthodox aren't universalists counts against the theory that CV is more universalism friendly, doesn't it?

I'm probably missing something important, but I can't see it.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

1. How are the gates of heaven opened?
2. How do we walk through them?

Okay, but can you see how they are both related and the way you answer question 1 will heavily influence how you answer question 2.

i.e. I agree with you up to a point but I don't think that you can just pick your model and then bolt on 'repent and believe' onto it in the same way.

quote:
Similarly for CV, the enemy that bars the way to eternal life is death (=sin =Satan) and Christ defeats that in his own death and resurrection. Atonement is complete, the gates of heaven are open, the part 1 problem is solved. We still have the exactly identical part 2 problem though of how we receive the benefits - and incidentally Calvin vs Arminius is still on the programme.

I'm repeating myself here - but to save you having to trawl through 50+ pages - I don't think the NT depicts death as an enemy in exactly the same way as sin. Death is alien in the sense that it stands against us. Sin is both alien to us (against what God created us for) and part of our very nature.

Therefore, I think CV tends to picture Christ defeating an enemy alien to us - and thus once the enemy is defeated there is no need for a response ... hence universalism.

However, PSA, sees Christ defeating sin in us and therefore it is only if we are in him (by faith) that we receive his benefits.

Remember PSA is not simply about an innocent man receiving our punishment - it is us being punished, in Him!

quote:
the fact that the Orthodox aren't universalists counts against the theory that CV is more universalism friendly, doesn't it?

The big 'O's can answer for themselves, but the fact that Orthodoxy (big O) has its roots in tradition (and is not a philosophical system like Arminianism or Calvinism) stops it from progressing to the logical conclusion of some of its theology! [Biased]
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny S

I'm not sure you're right, scripturally. I suppose it depends how you classify Peter's sermon in Acts 2. Personally, I think it is very much prototype CV! Yet it produces this well known response (Acts 2 v 37).

"When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the Apostles 'Brothers, what shall we do?'"

I suppose much depends on how much weight you give to "this Jesus, who you crucified". Anyway, you know that I'm primarily CV but accept SA. Maybe one can argue there's a bit of both? But I think there is a whole lot of CV and only by implication a bit of SA.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Johnny S

I'm not sure you're right, scripturally.

About what exactly?

I don't see how Acts 2 fits into the recent discussion.

(People tell me I'm wrong about so many things it helps to be specific! [Big Grin] )

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

I've got to go to bed so I'll comment on the only thing that struck me when I looked up Acts 2:

quote:
Peter's sermon in Acts 2. Personally, I think it is very much prototype CV! Yet it produces this well known response (Acts 2 v 37).

"When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the Apostles 'Brothers, what shall we do?'"

Whatever else Peter's sermon says about atonement models the response he calls for in verse 38 specifically makes God's forgiveness conditional on repentance and baptism!?
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Since no one else is interested, I'll carry on the conversation with myself. [Biased]

quote:

I suppose much depends on how much weight you give to "this Jesus, who you crucified". Anyway, you know that I'm primarily CV but accept SA. Maybe one can argue there's a bit of both? But I think there is a whole lot of CV and only by implication a bit of SA.

I think we are talking past each other over the portrayal of the gospel in Acts.

I do not go to Peter at Pentecost and try to find a classic 4 Spiritual laws / 2 ways to live type PSA explanation of the gospel. You are right that Peter focusses on the vindication of Jesus in the resurrection.

My point concerns more the framework behind his appeal. IMHO this is the issue - from what is Peter appealing that they be saved?

In v 40, Peter pleads with the crowd to 'save themselves from this wicked generation'. Is he talking about rescue from the kind of laws of this physical world that Freddy and others have described? Or is he talking about being saved from God's judgment?

The context of the quotation from Joel makes it pretty clear - the day of the Lord, which brings (from God) both salvation and judgment.

Indeed, a recurring theme of the Lukan sermons in Acts is that the 'CV' gospel of Jesus' resurrection is important because it means that Jesus is judge.

The 'thing' people need saving from in the book of Acts is the judgment of Jesus.... e.g. Acts 3: 23; Acts 10: 42; Acts 17: 31.

So, if you are going to use Acts as a mine for atonement models you are left with:

1. Jesus judges people only according to how they have lived their lives ... i.e. no atonement at all.

or

2. The 'enemy' Jesus has to fight against is actually himself!

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny S

I appreciate that I was a bit obscure. (Or a bit more than "normal for Norfolk!")

My observation was based on a simplicity - that Peter definitely preached for a decision and focussed in that very first sermon, not on the sacrificial power of the Cross (an SV theme) but God's power in the resurrection of Jesus, which defeated those who were opposed to His purposes (a CV theme). The effect on his audience was not "Oh that's great, but we don't have to do anything about it" but "What must we do?".

I'll remind you of this sentence in your response to GreyFace

Therefore, I think CV tends to picture Christ defeating an enemy alien to us - and thus once the enemy is defeated there is no need for a response ... hence universalism. (Italicisation mine).

A CV approach does provoke questions, which may indeed make the hearer open to the Acts 2 reply "Repent and be baptised every one of you, in the name of Jesus, for the forgiveness of sins". I know from my own experience (some 1950 years later) the power of the personal revelation to me that the resurrection (whatever it was) created the church, rather than the church the resurrection. This did not leave me feeling "that's nice, but I don't need to do anything about it". Rather the impact was "I've been wrong about this God stuff all my life. There is a lot more going on here than I thought".

CV is as provocative as SA in preaching the gospel, but neither on its own answers all the questions about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. They have "drawing power" towards God.

Hope that makes clearer what my thoughts were, Johnny. And apologies for the obscurity.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
not on the sacrificial power of the Cross (an SV theme) but God's power in the resurrection of Jesus, which defeated those who were opposed to His purposes (a CV theme). The effect on his audience was not "Oh that's great, but we don't have to do anything about it" but "What must we do?".

Okay (but as I posted above) you are reading a 21st century CV understanding into Peter's sermon.

My argument is that the 'punchline' of the sermons in Acts is, "Jesus has risen from the dead and therefore he will judge the world." To put it crudely and clumsily - you had better get on the right side of Jesus.

Therefore, ISTM, the response comes from some sense of appeasing the wrath of Jesus being necessary.

I know it is more complicated than that, by my argument is more along these lines ... a CV presentation of the gospel then would have a similar effect to a PSA presentation now.

When I say that I think CV tends to lapse into universalism I am presuming that we are talking about a current western worldview.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Dont think this is about anachronistic reading, Johnny. My basic position is that CV and SA as we articulate them now are developed theories from images, concepts and ideas found in somewhat atomic form in the NT (and OT) and the traditions of the church. And I think these theories, pushed too far, dissolve into paradox and incoherence. There is mystery at the heart of the Passion of Christ.

So I'm pointing to a record of a primitive preach, whose prime theme was the resurrection of Christ demonstrating victory over opposition and saying, you can see it had evangelistic impact. Which suggests to me at least that we can get too "pat" in our analyses of which salvation model is best. It depends on the audience, surely?

Now I think you are right that the mindset of the listeners of the times to Peter would condition the way the message is heard. And of course it would be different to most today. For example, they would all believe in "the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses" - who you didn't mess with! So the ability to hear the call to repentence is a pretty obvious response to those who thought, hearing the message, that the resurrection of Jesus showed that his crucifixion was a serious messing with "God's boy". A somewhat different audience to those who hear the gospel today!

But that argument kind of proves my "non-pat" point. Discussion about salvation-models and comparative evaluation can cleanse the mind I suppose, but because conversion is ultimately the work of the Spirit of God, we can be surprised by which messages prove to be efficacious. Those of us, like you and me, who have preached, often wondering perhaps at the mangling of the gospel we have achieved, have often been surprised by the responses.

[ 06. June 2008, 12:53: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Barnabas!

Mate, I missed you! Hope everything is all right!

In page 57, I posted a link I think you might find of interest.

Here's an Orthodox priest, who began his journey from Judaism, and through Protestantism came to Orthodox Christianity, speaking about how Orthodoxy and Judaism agree in their view of expiation and contrasts that to the non-Orthodox Christian view on propitiation, or, as I think he puts it, Christ dying for us, rather than instead of us.

When you have some time to spare, and feel like it, do listen at that interview and tell me what you think.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference between expiation and propitiation is crucial in this debate.

Those of us who are Anglican and old enough to remember Cranmer's 'Holy Communion' service heard 'The Comfortable Words' where 'propitiation' was read - it is hard to get this mistranslation out of our heads and I am sure it has passed into wider evangelical thinking.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Thanks andreas - just back this week from 40th wedding anniversary celebrations. Listening to the link is on my "to do" list.

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
just back this week from 40th wedding anniversary celebrations.

Oooooo, congrats!!! [Yipee]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

But that argument kind of proves my "non-pat" point. Discussion about salvation-models and comparative evaluation can cleanse the mind I suppose, but because conversion is ultimately the work of the Spirit of God, we can be surprised by which messages prove to be efficacious. Those of us, like you and me, who have preached, often wondering perhaps at the mangling of the gospel we have achieved, have often been surprised by the responses.

We seem to be converging here.

Again, to put it simplistically, I'm talking about which models predominate when we articulate the gospel.

So, generalising massively, people growing up as a 'wee free' in Scotland will hear something different from the Home Counties.

Some know that they are sinners and need to hear of God's great love. Other's take God's love as a given but are massively surprised to hear that he might think them 'sinners'.

My overall take is that CV is becoming more popular because of cultural shifts in our society... and when it comes to proclaiming the gospel we must both go with the flow and cut against the grain.

I stand with those who say that (in some evangelical quarters) PSA has been a sole voice and we need CV to speak into today's world. However, I am convinced that those who want to jettison PSA altogether will soon find that they have married the 'spirit of this age' and (proverbially) will be widowed in the next ... left with nothing to say.

[ 07. June 2008, 01:16: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:

My overall take is that CV is becoming more popular because of cultural shifts in our society... and when it comes to proclaiming the gospel we must both go with the flow and cut against the grain.

I stand with those who say that (in some evangelical quarters) PSA has been a sole voice and we need CV to speak into today's world. However, I am convinced that those who want to jettison PSA altogether will soon find that they have married the 'spirit of this age' and (proverbially) will be widowed in the next ... left with nothing to say.

I don't see that CV is married any more to the 'spirit of this age' than PSA, as you suggest. Any such spirit, it seems to me, is well attuned to the demand for due punishment and retribution that is at the heart of the PSA worldview. The present age might like to see itself as soft and compassionate in these ways, but I'd suggest it's really the 'law and order', 'make the punishment fit the crime' types who set the current tone in the nations most of us inhabit.

I'd agree that on a number of levels the CV notion is communicating with our contemporaries much better than the bundle of medieval lies and complex insults to God and humanity that constitutes the PSA perspective. But it is hardly conforming to the spirit of this age to take Satan and his wiles as fully into account as fully and as centrally as CV does, for instance. CV makes some serious demands on the credulity and moral perspective of the great majority of our contemporaries.

--------------------
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
William Blake.

Posts: 2121 | From: perth wa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by piers ploughman:
I'd agree that on a number of levels the CV notion is communicating with our contemporaries much better than the bundle of medieval lies and complex insults to God and humanity that constitutes the PSA perspective. But it is hardly conforming to the spirit of this age to take Satan and his wiles as fully into account as fully and as centrally as CV does, for instance. CV makes some serious demands on the credulity and moral perspective of the great majority of our contemporaries.

Yes, this illustrates what we are wrestling with perfectly.

In your eagerness to to dismiss PSA you appear to have wandered into platonic dualism. I assume that is not what you meant but by putting Satan centre stage that is what you have done and so, as the early Church Fathers decided, put you outside of orthodox Christianity.

I'm not expecting anyone to accept my POV just to acknowledge that the issues are too complex for models to be dismissed to lightly.

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, this illustrates what we are wrestling with perfectly.

In your eagerness to to dismiss PSA you appear to have wandered into platonic dualism. I assume that is not what you meant but by putting Satan centre stage that is what you have done and so, as the early Church Fathers decided, put you outside of orthodox Christianity.

I'm not expecting anyone to accept my POV just to acknowledge that the issues are too complex for models to be dismissed to lightly.

You make some hefty assumptions on the basis of some slender evidence in your eagerness to exclude not just models but actual human beings, Johnny S. There is nothing light about my dismissal of PSA, it is vigorous, hearty and the result of decades of attention to exegetical, doctrinal and historical matters.

You obviously forget that many of the 'early church fathers' you refer to (I have Irenaus in mind especially) by no means confuse Christ's victory over the powers with a crass dualism. It takes eyes dazzled and sensibilities blunted by systematically distorted thinking to do that to a person.

--------------------
William Blake.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Johnny

Yes, it is interesting where this long discussion is now going. I haven't checked back to see whether it has been here (or close) before.

CV and SA (I'll get back to the P) can only be properly understood when they take their place in the kerygma (proclamation, announcement, preaching). They do not stand on their own as in any way sole repositories of the kerygma. Earlier in the thread I remember a quote found (it might have been by me) from Tom Wright, who observed that his gentle and wise teacher at vicar college had himself observed "the story is not complete without PSA". And I think that is right.

I do think that the local church I grew up in (it has changed a lot in this respect) basically discounted the CV atoms in the NT because the then leadership was convinced that PSA was "it". Quite hard for me personally, because the truth of the resurrection was the open door that drew me in.

But there is no way I can throw away SA. Deep within me, something resonates. The combination of words and music with which Handel expresses "All we like sheep have gone astray and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all" tells me something absolutely vital about the human condition and salvation. The hurrying, scurrying music of the straying sheep slows dramatically to the final stark statement - and truth is revealed.

I think you and I sing a lot from the same hymn sheet, but I am uncomfortable about the "P" in PSA. We're right at the expiation-propitation point here. Expiation is about effecting changes in us, propitiation about changing God. The "P" implies a change in God. I guess leo is right - that might be the ongoing discussion in this long thread, really. The problem is that I've met a lot of folks frightened by their own shadows by the effects of an overemphasis on PSA, and the consequent wedding in their minds of divine holiness and "angry punishing God". They've never really "got" God as Abba - and that can't be right either.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
There is nothing light about my dismissal of PSA, it is vigorous, hearty and the result of decades of attention to exegetical, doctrinal and historical matters.

You obviously forget that many of the 'early church fathers' you refer to (I have Irenaus in mind especially) by no means confuse Christ's victory over the powers with a crass dualism.

I'm sure such a great man will not be bothered that after all those decades of study you can't even spell his name correctly. [Biased]

But if you have read Irenaeus, then you will know that he did not set Christ's victory over Satan centre stage.

Also you will know that what we have of his writings were in response to others and therefore hard to draw conclusions from about his systematic thinking.

Indeed, even then, there are many passages which seem to weave CV and PSA together. e.g.

“And therefore in the last times the Lord has restored us into friendship through His incarnation, having become 'the Mediator between God and men'; propitiating indeed for us the Father against whom we had sinned, and cancelling (consolatus) our disobedience by His own obedience; conferring also upon us the gift of communion with, and subjection to, our Maker. For this reason also He has taught us to say in prayer, 'And forgive us our debts'; since indeed He is our Father, whose debtors we were, having transgressed His commandments.” Against Heresies, V.xvii.i "

(Obviously whether we translate as 'propitiation' or 'expiation' is key, but nevertheless there is sacrifcial language here.)

quote:
It takes eyes dazzled and sensibilities blunted by systematically distorted thinking to do that to a person.

Quite. [Roll Eyes]

This is, IMHO, the mistake Aulen makes. He is right to recognise CV so clearly here, but wrong to try to expunge PSA from him entirely.

Still, that is what systematically distorted thinking can do to you. [Razz]

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I think you and I sing a lot from the same hymn sheet, but I am uncomfortable about the "P" in PSA. We're right at the expiation-propitation point here. Expiation is about effecting changes in us, propitiation about changing God. The "P" implies a change in God. I guess leo is right - that might be the ongoing discussion in this long thread, really. The problem is that I've met a lot of folks frightened by their own shadows by the effects of an overemphasis on PSA, and the consequent wedding in their minds of divine holiness and "angry punishing God". They've never really "got" God as Abba - and that can't be right either.

Yes, this is pretty close to where I am.

The thing about expiation for me is still that (ISTM) it collapses into dualism. It lets God off the hook but leaves it hanging where 'judgment' comes from. If it is built into the fabric of the universe then didn't God create it this way in the first place?

Expiation sounds good but, for me, it creates more problems than it solves.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Johnny

Good point mate - I'm off out and will pick up later

--------------------

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

Thanks, Johnny S. Your wry humour has given me some very pleasant and heart-warming chuckles on a cold afternoon. [Smile] And I'm sure that you are right about Irenaeus' ability to tolerate a mis-spelling of his name by a rough and careless barbaros such as myself. You are also right about how much hangs on our translation and understanding of hilasterion Morris was generally awarded the laurels over Dodd in that debate in the fifties, but it is no doubt time to revisit it.

I am far more interested, however, in your contention that CV models are more wedded to the spirit of the present age (in a bad way) than are more strictly Anselmian reconstructions. Do you care to elaborate?

--------------------
William Blake.

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
But if you have read Irenaeus, then you will know that he did not set Christ's victory over Satan centre stage.

[brick wall]

That's because both psa and cv are later developments that have little to do with the gospel [Waterworks]

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

I am far more interested, however, in your contention that CV models are more wedded to the spirit of the present age (in a bad way) than are more strictly Anselmian reconstructions. Do you care to elaborate?

Actually, I agree that most Anselmian reconstructions are wedded to modernity and so I'm not playing Anselm off against Aulen.

Also, I am advocating that it is (mostly) a good thing that CV rides the wave of contemporary western culture.

However, cultural aspects that I think CV wrongly reinforces are:

- 'Hand waving'. That was Talitha's description when she started this thread way back in the mists of time.

There is mystery in the cross. No model will ever adequately explain what is a mystery. However, appeals to mystery can be a cop out when they amount to sweeping things under the carpet. This, ISTM, modern writers sometimes do with God's righteous anger against sin.

- abdication of responsibility. Between my genes and society there is no longer any room for personal responsibility. (NB by personal I do not mean individual.)

The cry of today is thus - "I'm more sinned against than sinning." A cry that is echoed in some CV models where Satan is my ultimate enemy rather than my own rebellion against God.

Anyway, that is just a start.

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
But there is no way I can throw away SA. Deep within me, something resonates. The combination of words and music with which Handel expresses "All we like sheep have gone astray and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all" tells me something absolutely vital about the human condition and salvation.

Me too although to be fair I don't see this as necessarily leading to PSA, nor even all the way to Anselm.

As none of us (at least, I rather suspect none of us) think iniquity/sin is something real in the sense of a substance that can be transferred from one person to another as though you could carry it in a bucket, I take such language as meaning the responsibility for dealing with sin which is either the cause of our alienation from God or the separation itself, was laid on Christ.

This is of course compatible with all major theories of atonement. I'm not arguing against PSA here.

Something struck me about this whole debate a while back. Dualism is often raised - as Johnny just has - as an objection to the ransom theory. Well, surely anyone that believes in the existence of Satan as an evil entity with any sort of influence in this world has to ask why God does not simply bar him from the universe or obliterate him by fiat. In fact that same question must be asked of any evil and the answer it seems to me, inadequate though is is, must be that he permits Satan/evil to exist for a higher purpose.

In ransom theory, Satan as the one who has the right (or at least the permission of God) to punish offenders, is directly analogous to the side of God that demands sin be punished, in PSA. So if ransom theory is dualist, isn't PSA saying God is set against himself? I suspect a lot of the problems here are answered by St Paul's discussion of the purpose and nature of the law in Romans.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:

That's because both psa and cv are later developments that have little to do with the gospel [Waterworks]

[brick wall] That's like saying gravity didn't exist before 1687.

As I keep saying, we are discussing models here Andreas. The question is which models most accurately explain the gospel.

Whenever anyone (yes, even the Orthodox) seek to explain the gospel then the moment they use an analogy or even select verses from scripture they are adopting a model. Everybody does it (yes, even the Orthodox) so let's just get on with discussing them. [Roll Eyes]

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Something struck me about this whole debate a while back. Dualism is often raised - as Johnny just has - as an objection to the ransom theory. Well, surely anyone that believes in the existence of Satan as an evil entity with any sort of influence in this world has to ask why God does not simply bar him from the universe or obliterate him by fiat. In fact that same question must be asked of any evil and the answer it seems to me, inadequate though is is, must be that he permits Satan/evil to exist for a higher purpose.

Good question GF.

I've got to go. So just a quick though here.

If Satan is 'just' a creature then why can't God treat him like any other creature - i.e. he loves him and longs to share heaven with him but can only do that through repentance and cleansing of sin?

That is the narrow gate through which all must pass to enter eternal life.

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

quote:
quote:

[brick wall] That's like saying gravity didn't exist before 1687.

As I keep saying, we are discussing models here Andreas. The question is which models most accurately explain the gospel.

Whenever anyone (yes, even the Orthodox) seek to explain the gospel then the moment they use an analogy or even select verses from scripture they are adopting a model. Everybody does it (yes, even the Orthodox) so let's just get on with discussing them. [Roll Eyes]

That's very frank, Johnny S.

My frustration stems from this debating of models, because I do not accept as valid this way of doing theology, this speculative theology, and this model-making.

I have seen people speaking about the model of Christus Victor, others speaking about the model of PSA, some, to a slight degree, speaking about the model of ransom, and I expressed my view against all those models, without erecting a new model in their place.

The way I see it, they are all very human things, and it is a mistake to begin with human thoughts when dealing with the gospel.

Of course, you will rightly say, that isn't that what we all do? I mean, aren't we supposed to be doing that, because there is no other way?

Well, I think that there is another way, and that we are not supposed to be debating on these terms.

Which is why I don't think that "getting on with discussing the models" is the right thing to do. I don't think it will get us anywhere! What I think it might get us somewhere is some meta-discussion about the presuppositions of this debate, and this is what I'm trying to do with this post.

I feel reluctant making this post, because I don't know if it will be any help... But I don't know what else to say... This debates rolls easily between you guys, but as an Orthodox there isn't much I can say here because I don't share all those presuppositions you do.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
What I think (it) might get us somewhere is some meta-discussion about the presuppositions of this debate, and this is what I'm trying to do with this post.

Well, you could always start a new thread designed to discuss at a different level the presuppositions that you see (and what, presumably, you find counter-productive in them. Not everyone is up to that level of abstraction, but you'll probably find a few who are.

For the rest of us, the current framework of the discussion in this long-running thread is still working. As you observe, we seem to be able to share ideas easily enough and we're finding the exchanges make sense. I think the level of debate has shifted several times over the past year anyway, but you may be thinking "meta-discussion" on a different level to anything discussed so far. It'll be interesting to see what you say.

BTW, my wife and I both listened to the link you provided and found it helpful. (Without necessarily agreeing with all of the points made, of course). A gentle and thoughtful man; I think I'll try to get his book for a more detailed read of his ideas.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My view is still that God didn't give the system of sacrifice and doesn't need it (Jeremiah etc.), but because it's a Passover the idea of even PSA could be included for the individual according to his need for it, but I'd never thought about that 'need' except in general terms of taking people out of blood sacrifice. I don't know where I'm going with this but I'm reminded of it because I've just read a piece on animal sacrifice of the Jews which says:

quote:
(The Value of Animal Sacrifices)
The institution of animal sacrifice allows us to confront our deepest subconscious urges and needs.
By Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson

Sefer Vayikra, the Book of Leviticus, is at the center of the Torah, not only spatially, but also spiritually. More than any other single book, Vayikra sets the tone and establishes the central themes of biblical and rabbinic Judaism throughout the ages.

For Judaism to be able to assist us in living, it must reflect all life. Judaism must be the haven in which we can safely channel and express the entire range of human impulses and drives, confront our own subconscious, relive our own past, face and share our deepest anxieties. If it cannot be at least this, then it is nothing.

Sacrifice horrifies and stuns precisely because it embodies so many subconscious drives and terrors. We need not reinstitute sacrifice to be able to benefit from recalling this ancient practice in the safe context of a worship service. Are you afraid of death? Confront it by reading about sacrifice. Are you ridden with guilt? Represent and conquer your guilt in the Yom Kippur ritual of the scapegoat and sacrifice.

Our ancestors turned to animal sacrifice because they saw in it a way to express deep rage, feelings of inadequacy and guilt. They could use the rite of sacrifice as a means of facing their terror of death and the unknown. They could, through sacrifice of animals, see their own frailty, their own mortality, and their own bloodiness.

In our age, a period of sanitized religion and everyday violence, escalating drug abuse and rising poverty, the practice of our ancestors has something yet to teach. And so we read Sefer Vayikra, and learn to see our fears in the eyes of an animal going to the slaughter, in the cries of the victims of sacrifice.

What he is suggesting is, in imagination, to follow the sacrifices at the appropriate times in the yearly cycle as they were held in the Temple before its destruction and at Yom Kippur, because he sees this as a need in man.

I thought I agreed with Maimonides in this which I'd read first, that sacrifice was something acquired by the Jews in a journey to non-sacrifice: (The Role Of Sacrifices)Sacrifices allow us to reach out to God using our physical and emotional drives. By Rabbi Steven Weil), and not with Weil until I read the first I posted here which, after initially confirming my abhorrence for the whole idea of sacrifice, made we wonder if the rabbi didn't have a point.

Perhaps that need, if there is such a thing, is perpetual if Christ set in place in response the crucifixion and eucharist to it. Coming out as it did from a society deeply steeped in all the nuances of animal sacrifice to atone for guilt and so on there isn't, probably, any variation missing in the variety of form and reasons for sacrifice.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
My view is still that God didn't give the system of sacrifice and doesn't need it (Jeremiah etc.),

Myrrh, if you are going to persist with this line of reasoning please answer my post way back on April 27th.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
They're certainly not taking everything written in the Torah as coming from God and Jeremiah particularly goes against "And Moses said, Thou must give us also sacrifices and burnt offerings, that we may sacrifice unto the LORD our God." by saying "For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you."

Yes Myrrh, we have talked about this before, which is why I can't see why you have brought it up again.

A few chapters later in Jeremiah 17 we have this picture of what God does require:

"People will come from the towns of Judah and the villages around Jerusalem, from the territory of Benjamin and the western foothills, from the hill country and the Negev, bringing burnt offerings and sacrifices, grain offerings, incense and thank offerings to the house of the LORD."

Jeremiah 17: 26

So, two options:

1. Jeremiah was so mentally retarded that he (or the final redactor of the book) could not spot the complete contradiction.

or ...

2. Jeremiah was not contradicting God's commands about sacrifice but criticising the Israelite abuse of sacrifice.

You choose.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016