homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 60)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
from your NFI background you will know how central Ephesians 2:1-10 is to popular evangelical doctrine. A passage full of nasssty Calvinistic speak

I would say a passage full of Orthodox and Apostolic insight (ole Jean's thoughts came somewhat late in the day [Biased] ).

All teasing aside, I have a lot more time for the Calvinism of Calvin himself (rather than later versions of what 'Calvinism' was [Disappointed] ) and find him a lot more sacramental than most modern evangelicals who go around calling themselves 'Calvinists'.

Which raises a point about exactly 'which' protestantism one is speaking about, since it is pluriform in thought and nature. Unfortunately the caricatures you see are more common than I think you realise (which makes me wonder how 'round the houses' you been in the evangelical movement - honest question, not a jest).

And as for the faults in Orthodoxy, don't worry I have my eyes wide open. One can find representations of it even here on the ship (those who have ears to hear let them hear). Combine that with ethnicism and the assumption that there must have been a Great Entrance at the Last Supper (sorry, 'in' joke) makes for enough pitfalls to avoid. But for all the faults I believe the theology to be wholly more faithful to scripture and more 'joined up'.

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Collins:

All teasing aside, I have a lot more time for the Calvinism of Calvin himself (rather than later versions of what 'Calvinism' was [Disappointed] ) and find him a lot more sacramental than most modern evangelicals who go around calling themselves 'Calvinists'.

Yep, it is an irony lost on many that Calvin did not come up with the 5 points of Calvinism. Often the disciples are more zealous than their teacher.

quote:
Which raises a point about exactly 'which' protestantism one is speaking about, since it is pluriform in thought and nature. Unfortunately the caricatures you see are more common than I think you realise (which makes me wonder how 'round the houses' you been in the evangelical movement - honest question, not a jest).

Fair question. I admit that I've not really got any experience of RC or Orthodoxy... just visiting them while on holiday.

However, I think my experience of Protestantism is pretty varied - Brethren, Baptist Union, Anglican (of liberal, Charismatic and ConEvo flavours), FIEC, Elim, Ichthus, Methodist - and I'm only including churches that I have worshipped at regularly (over a period of time), rather just attending once! As you can see the theme is that they are all 'low' ... sorry!

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
There's a big difference between "consonant with" and "evidence supporting"; there are many scriptures which it is possible to gloss in a PSA friendly way. The question remains: is such glossing exegesis or eisegesis. You think it's the former, I think it's the latter

I'm not talking here about proof-texts for PSA, but rather texts that presuppose a world where God the Father has wrath against humanity.

e.g. "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him"
John 3: 36

How do interpret such passages which speak of God's wrath against humanity?

I don't think that the argument is really over PSA per se but rather whether or not God's is angry with sinful people. PSA is merely an attempt to explain the cross once you have answered that question in the affirmative. I think the real issue is wrath (or whatever else you want to call it.)

I think I agree with you here, John. For you, wrath towards sinners is a manifestation of God's holiness. For me, it is a libel against His nature.

Part of the problem is the use of the word wrath, and the fact that it is commonly held to be synonymous with anger. I don't think this is helpful in understanding how we read the text. A better translation (i.e. one that doesn't carry with it so much baggage) is indignation. I think the meaning carried by such a word is much more nuanced than "anger". It implies, not only a sense of "this should not be so" (which in itself is different from anger) but also, "I am determined to do something to bring about a change in this situation in such a way as to remove the cause of this indignation". Now I think we had this discussion some time ago with Numpty, and I will accept that PSA is (or would be, were it proved to be a scriptural doctrine) consonant with such texts, but I hope that you can see that a non-penal interpretation of these same texts is similarly valid.

The point I am making is that these and similar texts, on their own, are not "killer" texts.

Those who hold, as you do (though tentatively, I suspect) that God is actually, apart from the work of Christ, angry at sinners, and, but for that Work, would ultimately actively destroy them in some manner, have to come to some way of interpreting God's "position", whereby it is possible to hold the view that He can simultaneously perfectly love one of His creatures whilst actively willing that creature's destruction. This seems to me akin to a belief that God can create a square circle, because
by definition to love someone is to want the best for that person. Any attempt to reconcile these two seems, to me, to be mere sophistry.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Finally, to drag this over-long response back to the thread in question, it should be clear therefore that ones thinking re: Atonement fundamentally underpins the success in the quest for true assurance.

What can I say, other than my experience of Protestantism is different to yours?

I have found all you say you are looking for in an evangelical protestant expression of faith.

I fully agree with your last point - atonement is essential to assurance. And from your NFI background you will know how central Ephesians 2:1-10 is to popular evangelical doctrine. A passage full of nasssty Calvinistic speak and yet one which climaxes with the claim that we are saved in order to do good works.

I must say, I've never been too convinced that Ephesians 1&2, or even Romans 8 can be used as an argument for "Calvinism". Paul doesn't seem to be talking about people's salvation, but rather how they should live in the light of that salvation. The feel of it seems to me to be "Look, God has a whole set of of things that you, and you alone, can do for Him, and I guess He knows what He is doing, so, however inadequate you feel, get on with it."

I think there are scriptural themes about God's sovereignty and our salvation, but I don't think those passages say anything about them per se.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Those who hold, as you do (though tentatively, I suspect) that God is actually, apart from the work of Christ, angry at sinners, and, but for that Work, would ultimately actively destroy them in some manner, have to come to some way of interpreting God's "position", whereby it is possible to hold the view that He can simultaneously perfectly love one of His creatures whilst actively willing that creature's destruction. This seems to me akin to a belief that God can create a square circle, because
by definition to love someone is to want the best for that person. Any attempt to reconcile these two seems, to me, to be mere sophistry.

I really like how you put this, JJ. It comes near to the heart of the problem with PSA, in my opinion.

It just seems so much simpler to believe that God loves all of humanity, and that the Incarnation is about the fact that humanity was beginning to harm itself, so He intervened. He did this by coming into the world and acting to change human thought and behavior without interfering with human freedom.

Wrath has nothing to do with it.

The Bible describes it as wrath because of our anthropomorphic needs. It is easy for us to understand that God hates and punishes sin, because this is how humans react to harmful things. It is not so easy for a child to understand that the parents want him or her to go to bed because staying up would be harmful. It doesn't seem harmful, so the child mainly responds to the wishes and potential anger of the parents.

But this isn't how God really works. We know this from a careful reading of the Bible. PSA seems to miss this.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks JJ - thoughtful as usual. With your square circle I think we are getting to the heart of the matter.

quote:
"I am determined to do something to bring about a change in this situation in such a way as to remove the cause of this indignation".

But what if the recipient of God's love refuses to let God remove the cause?

quote:
I hope that you can see that a non-penal interpretation of these same texts is similarly valid.

On their own I would agree with you. However, how do all the many references to God's destruction of the wicked fit into your scheme? (As it happens our church is working its way through Revelation at the moment! [Eek!] )

quote:
Those who hold, as you do (though tentatively, I suspect) that God is actually, apart from the work of Christ, angry at sinners, and, but for that Work, would ultimately actively destroy them in some manner, have to come to some way of interpreting God's "position", whereby it is possible to hold the view that He can simultaneously perfectly love one of His creatures whilst actively willing that creature's destruction.

I'm trying not to split hairs here but ( [Big Grin] ) I have never claimed that God actively wills their destruction just that, as you put it, 'he must remove the cause of this indignation.'

quote:
This seems to me akin to a belief that God can create a square circle, because

Which is why I don't try to square circles.

If you will indulge me suddenly having a pious turn - I simply trust in the same Jesus who taught the parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15 as the Parable of the Tenants in Luke 20.

I can't square circles, but neither can I deny that there are squares and there are circles.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But what if the recipient of God's love refuses to let God remove the cause?

Jesus does seem to account for this. He constantly speaks about those who will hear Him and those who will not hear Him. Different outcomes for each.
quote:
quote:
I hope that you can see that a non-penal interpretation of these same texts is similarly valid.

On their own I would agree with you. However, how do all the many references to God's destruction of the wicked fit into your scheme? (As it happens our church is working its way through Revelation at the moment! [Eek!] )
What does it matter how many references there are? The idea that God destroys the wicked is universally present in both Testaments. The question is how you understand this idea so as to make it consistent with the similarly ubiquitous statements about God's great love for His creation.

The best way to reconcile this, it seems to me, is to interpret all of the references to God's anger and desire to destroy the wicked as being akin to a loving parent who desires the welfare of a less-than-cooperative child. There is no real anger there. But the child will perceive it as anger.
quote:
If you will indulge me suddenly having a pious turn - I simply trust in the same Jesus who taught the parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15 as the Parable of the Tenants in Luke 20.

I can't square circles, but neither can I deny that there are squares and there are circles.

I assume you mean the forgiveness of the prodigal son compared with the harshness towards the one who hid his talent.

Again, the two are perfectly consistent if you assume that God wills nothing but the welfare of both, and that the anger is written into the story because that is how we perceive it.

When the criminal is sentenced he thinks the judge is doing it to him, but he has really done it to himself. It is like someone who jumps off a building and then rails against a God who he perceives as angrily slamming him to the ground.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I assume you mean the forgiveness of the prodigal son compared with the harshness towards the one who hid his talent.

No, that was tenant and not talent.

I was comparing the action of the 'Father' in both parables - forgiveness in one, killing the unrepentant in the other.

quote:
It is like someone who jumps off a building and then rails against a God who he perceives as angrily slamming him to the ground.

I think they would be more concerned with the 'anger' of the ground than God at that precise moment!

I'm serious. I'm quite happy to go with you on the anthropomorphism angle here, but what are we left with? You've still got God sending the 'wicked' to destruction. What real difference does it make what emotion we attribute to God when he does it?

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
No, that was tenant and not talent.

Yes, that's it. Sorry. Anyway, same message.
quote:
I'm quite happy to go with you on the anthropomorphism angle here, but what are we left with? You've still got God sending the 'wicked' to destruction. What real difference does it make what emotion we attribute to God when he does it?

It makes all the difference in the world.

In one case the destruction originates in God - God harms us when we fail to do His will. In the other it originates in man - we harm ourselves when we fail to do His will.

So in the one case we have a God who is angry and wanting to harm us. In the other we have a God who sees us harming ourselves and wants to help us.

Your answer to this comparison in the past has been to point out that God set up the system, so He in effect is the cause of whatever happens. I think that the answer to that is that God set up the best possible system. He realized that allowing for freedom of choice and alternative actions would open up the possibility of imperfection and harmful actions. But this is, in the long run, a better system than one without choices.

So God is not the author of bad choices and their consequences.

Neither is He angry.

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62 drew my attention today to this thread from my safety blanket in Kerygmania.

You were looking at the “I desire mercy, not sacrifice” saying in Hosea 6:6 (and picked up in Matt. 9:13 and 12:7). I was also thinking about that same passage, but in the context of the herem OT rule of war Keryg thread. The two concepts (mercy and sacrifice) being played off here didn't seem to me to fit well in opposition, if the sacrificial system was being referred to. Surely, I thought, something like "unforgiveness" or "hatred" would be better opposed to 'mercy'? Part of the answer for me lies in redefining the Greek word used for 'mercy' (eleos), both in Matthew and the LXX translation of Hosea.

From my reading, I see the context of Hosea 6 in terms of the suzerain-vassal covenant, where loyalty brings protection and disloyalty brings destruction.
quote:

1] “Come on! Let’s return to the Lord!
He himself has torn us to pieces, but he will heal us!
He has injured us, but he will bandage our wounds!
2] He will restore us in a very short time;
he will heal us in a little while,
so that we may live in his presence.
3] So let us acknowledge him!
Let us seek to acknowledge the Lord!
He will come to our rescue as certainly as the appearance of the dawn,
as certainly as the winter rain comes,
as certainly as the spring rain that waters the land.”

4] What am I going to do with you, O Ephraim?
What am I going to do with you, O Judah?
Your faithfulness is as fleeting as the morning mist;
it disappears as quickly as dawn’s dew!
5] Therefore, I will certainly cut you into pieces at the hands of the prophets;
I will certainly kill you in fulfillment of my oracles of judgment;
for my judgment will come forth like the light of the dawn,
6] because I want loyalty, not simply sacrifice;
acknowledging of God, not simply burnt offerings.

7] At Adam they broke the covenant;
Oh how they were disloyal to me!

On this basis, I'd read “sacrifice” and “burnt offerings” (v.6b) as parallel metaphors for “loyal obedience” and “mercy” as “return to loyalty by those in rebellion.” This fits well with the Prodigal Son parable, where the indignation of the obedient and loyal older brother is offset against the return-to-loyalty-from-rebellion younger son. The younger son is equivalent to the 'mercy' and the older to the 'sacrifice' in Hosea.

For what it's worth. Right; I'll tramp back out of Sheol and pop my feet back up in Keryg.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
On this basis, I'd read “sacrifice” and “burnt offerings” (v.6b) as parallel metaphors for “loyal obedience” and “mercy” as “return to loyalty by those in rebellion.” This fits well with the Prodigal Son parable, where the indignation of the obedient and loyal older brother is offset against the return-to-loyalty-from-rebellion younger son. The younger son is equivalent to the 'mercy' and the older to the 'sacrifice' in Hosea.

For what it's worth. Right; I'll tramp back out of Sheol and pop my feet back up in Keryg.

Very nice as always, Nigel. I think that's a great comparison. Thanks. [Overused]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

You are right Freddy. We've been here before and are not really making progress in this area.

quote:
I think that the answer to that is that God set up the best possible system...So God is not the author of bad choices and their consequences.

So God created the world (set up the best possible system) but is not the author of consequences to our actions ... go figure. [Ultra confused]

quote:
From my reading, I see the context of Hosea 6 in terms of the suzerain-vassal covenant...

Isn't that what you see everything in the light of Nigel? [Biased]
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
From my reading, I see the context of Hosea 6 in terms of the suzerain-vassal covenant...

Isn't that what you see everything in the light of Nigel? [Biased]
Absolutely! If the shoe fits, walk a mile in it!
Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
So God created the world (set up the best possible system) but is not the author of consequences to our actions ... go figure. [Ultra confused]

I don't see why it is so hard to get your head around this idea.

Yes He created the world with its laws of physics and everything else. In creating this He certainly knew that glass would break when dropped and that people would suffer and die if they have no food. But He is not responsible for the dropping of glass or the lack of food.

It is certainly easier to imagine that if He created it He must be the author of everything having to do with it. This is why the Bible, and especially the Old Testament, takes this approach.

But the logical ramifications of this position are completely untenable. They make God the author of evil, predestine all things, and deny human freedom of choice. They essentially make Him angry and capricious. A God to be feared but not loved.

The Bible, of course, strenuously opposes those conclusions - creating irreconcilable contradictions.

You can go with those ideas if that is all that makes sense to you. It just seems so much more logical and comprehensively biblical to postulate a God of love, incapable of anger, who created a universe that includes stable laws and their consequences because this is the best possible way to guide humanity to happiness.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Absolutely! If the shoe fits, walk a mile in it!

Okay then - are you the Suzerain or the lowly vassal?

quote:
He is not responsible for the dropping of glass or the lack of food.

No one is claiming that he is. But surely the creator of the universe must be responsible for so making the world that these are the consequences.

Being responsible for something is not the same as actively wanting it to happen.

[ 13. June 2008, 14:18: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Being responsible for something is not the same as actively wanting it to happen.

This is where the concept of permission comes in. God created the universe and permits evil to exist there. He permits glasses to break and people to be hungry.

He is responsible in the sense that He made those things possible. He is not responsible in the sense that He does not actively want them to happen, but permits them for the sake of more important long term goals.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:

This is where the concept of permission comes in. God created the universe and permits evil to exist there. He permits glasses to break and people to be hungry.

He is responsible in the sense that He made those things possible. He is not responsible in the sense that He does not actively want them to happen, but permits them for the sake of more important long term goals.

It's not even that complex, Freddy. The issue isn't so much that God permits evil, it is that evil is itself a manifestation of cause and effect. The whole system could not possibly funtion at all (or at least, it would be so profoundly different a system that it would not be the rationally governed, predictable (from a scientific pov) universe which we inhabit), without the underlying principle of cause and effect. Therefore, any possible creation which in any way relies on scientific laws to structure it, inherently has the possibility of negative as well as positive effects. Any imaginably different system would be, quite literally, an absurdity, or, if you prefer, a square circle.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Thanks, JJ! That expresses it better than I did.

So why do people continue to struggle with this, to me, obvious truth?

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Therefore, any possible creation which in any way relies on scientific laws to structure it, inherently has the possibility of negative as well as positive effects.

But don't you see what you have done?

By breaking it all down to 'cause and effect' you have made the positive effects merely the counter balance to the negative effects.

God's love for me is as active / personal as gravity!

JJ and Freddy in your desire to see God only as a God of love you have made it impossible to see him as 'love' at all.

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Those who hold, as you do (though tentatively, I suspect) that God is actually, apart from the work of Christ, angry at sinners, and, but for that Work, would ultimately actively destroy them in some manner, have to come to some way of interpreting God's "position", whereby it is possible to hold the view that He can simultaneously perfectly love one of His creatures whilst actively willing that creature's destruction. This seems to me akin to a belief that God can create a square circle, because

Interesting.

I think you have a problem here with defining what love is.

God can desire the best can't he? At the same time as rejecting the disease of sin which he finds unacceptable?

Is it sophistry to say that God's love and justice met at the cross and the resultant formula adds up to love being offered by God to man consequent to the admission (by man,) of his flawed and warped nature. Consequent to repentance in other words.

Ergo. The glorious heart of the gospel!

Love meets wrath equals sacrifice, mix with repentance eguals salvation. (Now that's a nice arminian equation.)

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Therefore, any possible creation which in any way relies on scientific laws to structure it, inherently has the possibility of negative as well as positive effects.

By breaking it all down to 'cause and effect' you have made the positive effects merely the counter balance to the negative effects.

JJ and Freddy in your desire to see God only as a God of love you have made it impossible to see him as 'love' at all.

Don't think so, Johnny. That little word "all" again. JJ's words do not rule out Grace as an overarching principle. He just doesn't mention it.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Don't think so, Johnny. That little word "all" again. JJ's words do not rule out Grace as an overarching principle. He just doesn't mention it.

I realise that - but it still seems like having cake and eating it to me.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does a bit to me too - and it also connects to the dualism point of yours which I'm working on. At least in my mind. It's all part of the same piece, I think. A work still in progress. (Like me)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:

Huh? [Confused]

Yes, God's love is active and personal. I don't grasp your objection here. So if God's love is universal and constant like gravity then it becomes an impersonal force? Does that follow? [Confused]

I also don't understand what you mean by "having your cake and eating it too." I recall you making that point before and leaving me confused. [Confused]

[ 14. June 2008, 09:37: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I also don't understand what you mean by "having your cake and eating it too." I recall you making that point before and leaving me confused. [Confused]

Okay. Let me quote Jude from the Florida revival thread to show where I think this is going:

quote:
Originally posted by Jude:
The Christian group I've been attending seems to be going towards the "if you're not healed it's because you lack faith" stance. Whenever they pray for somebody who is seriously ill, they pray for a cure. This often leads to disappointment, does it not? Yes, ideally we would prefer if the person suffering from terminal cancer was somehow completely healed. But sometimes God decides that a person has suffered enough and should come to live with him.

Incidentally, these people also reject the theology behind "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away". They believe that it's the devil only who takes our loved ones from us.

Now, I'm certainly not suggesting that you or JJ would go along with the group Jude refers to but (ISTM) that it is consistent with the worldview you are espousing...

... either you have to say that the devil causes all the bad stuff to happen (hence wacko city above) or that it is all cause and effect and therefore God is unable to intervene (almost deist.)

[ 14. June 2008, 13:06: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny S,

It is very natural that you ask questions about the end of the road. I think it's important that we establish repentance as the beginning of the road, lest we fall into assurance that comes not from God but from self, which leads not to God, but to eternal loss of God. Regarding repentance, there is something elder Sophrony said.

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
This self-knowledge leads to a continual true repentance that is salvific and casts out fear because the work of saving/sanctifying has been, is being and will be done by Christ.

Elder Sophrony of Essex, said that:

quote:
When we become so conscious of our frailty that our spirit despairs, somehow, in an unknown fashion, a wondrous light appears, proclaiming life incorruptible. When the darkness within us is so appalling that we are paralyzed with dread, the same light will turn black night into bright day. When we properly condemn ourselves to eternal infamy and in agony descend into the pit, suddenly strength from Above will lift our spirit to the heights. When we are overwhelmed by the feeling of our own utter nothingness, the uncreated light transfigures and brings us like sons into the Father’s house. How are these contrasting states to be explained? Why does our self-condemnation justify us before God? Is it not because there is truth in this self-condemnation and so the Spirit of Truth finds a place for Himself in us?
So, as long as we keep away from the deceit of "we are saved", and so long as we go on with our repentance, and we are not repentant in name only, but we go on and follow the implications of repentance and self-realization, God will justify us, while we condemn ourselves.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]The Bible describes it as wrath because of our anthropomorphic needs. It is easy for us to understand that God hates and punishes sin, because this is how humans react to harmful things. It is not so easy for a child to understand that the parents want him or her to go to bed because staying up would be harmful. It doesn't seem harmful, so the child mainly responds to the wishes and potential anger of the parents.

But this isn't how God really works. We know this from a careful reading of the Bible. PSA seems to miss this.

Now if I unpack this correcrly Freddy, what you are saying is:

The Bible doesn't really say what it says, it says something else.

The Bible not only doesn't say what it says, but by not saying it, it actually means what I believe.

Well done Nice piece of reasoning.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
I wouldn't choose either. I don't know how both views are in there, Jeremiah, as it's written, swings between the two. It does have the feel of being written by different people sometimes.

Whether it was all written by Jeremiah or not, the final redactor obviously saw the book as one unit which we have to deal with.

I thought I'd dealt with it, either there is more than one author or there is only one going through life changes or there is more than one author and Jeremiah going through life changes.

quote:
I don't understand your approach to it though - you seem to be saying that you accept the bits that fit your theory and reject the bits that don't.
? Not sure what you mean here. My theory is, it's a book.

quote:
so, squashed into that it appears to be a strengthening of the pharisaical practices, keeping the Sabbath strictly more important than the commandments. Christ told us what he thought of that.

Where does Jesus say that God does not require sacrifice? (As opposed to his ministry bringing the on going need for sacrifice to an end?)

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus has a wonderful opportunity to make the point you want him to in Matthew 5: 21-27 when discussing bringing a gift to the altar. There he makes the point that the sacrifice is useless if detached from genuine heart repentance. However, he does not say that the sacrifice itself is pointless, or not what God really wants.

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you,leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift."

If Jesus taught what you say he did, then why does he not even allude to it here?

I have to say that it comes across to me that there is a large disjuncture between what you wish were in the text and what is actually there.

The general system of sacrifice in the Temple was for sins, and so I think his remark that it's repentance that's required, and this has been done away with in Christianity. The teaching, from St John the Forerunner, was repentance, not sacrifice. This is the continued teaching in the OT from the prophets, if you can find it through all the other interests which went into its creation.

Since the destruction of the TEmple the non-Christian Jews adapted to be without the sacrificial priesthood, we kept it. We still offer the sacrifice, we keep the offering of the gifts on the altar.

quote:
(Holy Eucharist)

Orthodox Theology sees the Holy Eucharist as a sacrifice and this is affirmed in the words of the Priest, when he says, during the Eucharistic Canon, "Thine own of Thine own we offer unto Thee on behalf of all and for all." The sacrifice offered at the Eucharist is Christ Himself, but He Who brings the sacrifice is also Christ. Christ is, at one and the same time, High Priest and Sacrifice. In the prayer before the Great Entrance, the Priest prays: "For Thou art the Offerer and the Offered, the Receiver and the Received, 0 Christ our God...."

According to the Orthodox Church, then, the Eucharist is not just a reminder of Christ's sacrifice or of its enactment, but it is a real sacrifice. On the other hand, however, it is not a new sacrifice, nor a repetition of the Sacrifice of the Cross upon Golgotha. The events of Christ's Sacrifice - the Incarnation, the Institution of the Eucharist, the Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension into Heaven, are not repeated during the Eucharist, yet they become a present reality. As one Orthodox theologian has said, "During the Liturgy we are projected in time to that place where eternity and time intersect, and then we become the contemporaries of these events that we are calling to mind" [P. N. Evdokimov, L'Orthodoxie, p. 241]. Thus the Eucharist and all the Holy Liturgy is, in structure, a sacrificial service.

Myrrh
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Sorry, missed some coding.

quote:
quote:
I wouldn't choose either. I don't know how both views are in there, Jeremiah, as it's written, swings between the two. It does have the feel of being written by different people sometimes.

Whether it was all written by Jeremiah or not, the final redactor obviously saw the book as one unit which we have to deal with.
I thought I'd dealt with it, either there is more than one author or there is only one going through life changes or there is more than one author and Jeremiah going through life changes.

quote:
I don't understand your approach to it though - you seem to be saying that you accept the bits that fit your theory and reject the bits that don't.
? Not sure what you mean here. My theory is, it's a book.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
We still offer the sacrifice, we keep the offering of the gifts on the altar.

Right. So after arguing for pages and pages and pages that God does not require sacrifice you now say that he does.

I agree, Jeremiah is not the one changing his mind.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:

The Bible not only doesn't say what it says, but by not saying it, it actually means what I believe.

No I'm saying that you need to read the Bible carefully. When you do you see both that there are are apparent contradictions and you are able to resolve them.

Are you saying that there are no apparent contradictions in the Bible? How do you pick which to go with?

[ 15. June 2008, 13:40: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
We still offer the sacrifice, we keep the offering of the gifts on the altar.

Right. So after arguing for pages and pages and pages that God does not require sacrifice you now say that he does.
Isn't Myrrh saying that they keep what the gifts and sacrifices were all about in the first place?

God didn't really ever require sacrifices. They were symbols for what He really did and does require - repentance, obedience to His will, and love that is offered from the heart.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

My recent comments about dualism have been prompted by the book of Revelation. At our church we have been working our way through it over the past weeks.

I've got to speak on chapter 12 next week. [Eek!]

Various things that strike me:

• The entire chapter is strongly CV - victory against Satan because of the cross.
  • However, it is the 'blood of the Lamb' (v 11) through which 'our brothers' conquer.
    Interestingly there is no resurrection in sight.
  • The victory over Satan is important to the book of Revelation but very much subordinated to the main theme - Satan only first appears here in chapter 12 (or quite possibly in chapters 8 and 9 first).
  • Hence the defeat of Satan is just one victory painted on a far-wider canvas. Any atonement model which puts that victory centre stage just doesn't quite fit.

Anyway, just to explain what got me thinking about dualism.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
The victory over Satan is important to the book of Revelation but very much subordinated to the main theme

What do you see as the main theme?
quote:
Hence the defeat of Satan is just one victory painted on a far-wider canvas. Any atonement model which puts that victory centre stage just doesn't quite fit.

How do you read chapters 19-22, then? Don't these describe a final victory over Satan and the paradise that then results?

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Isn't Myrrh saying that they keep what the gifts and sacrifices were all about in the first place?

Whatever gymastics the quote she gave goes through, the wording is clear about one thing - 'it is a real sacrifice.'

quote:

Vindication of God's servants, destruction of the unjust, to make way for the new heaven and new earth.

quote:
How do you read chapters 19-22, then? Don't these describe a final victory over Satan and the paradise that then results?

Yes they do describe that, but that is just one subplot. Indeed the last judgment and the destruction of the ultimate enemies - death and Hades - happens after Satan is thrown into the fire.

So the final victory over Satan is important but it is only part of a bigger story.

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

Whatever gymastics the quote she gave goes through, the wording is clear about one thing - 'it is a real sacrifice.'

Of course it is, definitely not a 'symbolic' or 'memorial'; very real a presence at the last supper, the Passover Lamb is food for the journey.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that we continue the sacrificial priesthood of the Temple..

..and God never required bloody sacrifices for sin, and if not of humans - the sacrifice of children was prevalent - neither of animals. Sadly, it's what man has often required and Christ obliges. I'm pretty sure that it was common in the first couple of centuries to see the eucharist offering as an end to all the Temple sacrifices, and, with Christ as High Priest in the order of Melchesedek this takes us back through the Jewish priesthood (family connections again) to pre-davidic take-over of Jerusalem and so connecting with Abraham and the bread and wine.

Myrrh

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Johnny, a quick p.s., the Orthodox sacrifice isn't 'another' sacrifice, offered again and again, it's the same one, the last one, and it's Christ that's offered and does the offering (I lay down my life). It can get quite complicated explaining it,(*), but for us Christ is present as High Priest and we're present as the Body of Christ - hence the "Thine of Thine own we offer to Thee, in all and for all."

(*)quite apart from the different way we use and understand symbol, as containing the reality, we're present in the eternal moment of it even as we continue it in time, and, it's bound up with our theology of theosis, not a straight 'propitiation' for sins outside of this, we have repentance for that, but more qurbana (spelling?), approach to God.

A couple of pages which might help: (Holy Eucharist)

(Development of Christian Worship)

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

Help who? These two sites both make it crystal clear - for the Orthodox sacrifice is at the heart of Christian worship.

Now this is a bit of a tangent since actually both CV and PSA can utilise the image of sacrifice - however you were the one who keep trying to say that God doesn't actually require sacrifice.

How on earth do either of those sites defend your position? [Ultra confused]

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

Help who? These two sites both make it crystal clear - for the Orthodox sacrifice is at the heart of Christian worship.

Now this is a bit of a tangent since actually both CV and PSA can utilise the image of sacrifice - however you were the one who keep trying to say that God doesn't actually require sacrifice.

How on earth do either of those sites defend your position? [Ultra confused]

? I'm really not sure what position you think I'm defending here. That God doesn't require sacrifice is a fact, that we're a continuation of the sacrificial priesthood is a fact, that our brief is to remember where we came from as Christ organised is a fact, that God does not require innocent blood shed in order to forgive sins is a fact.

Tposition I'm defending here is that as it's a Passover event which has nothing to do with sin offerings of any description whatsoever those who need a blood offering because of their own doctrines about sin can be accomodated as this is a form of slavery, and Christ sets us free.

Myrrh
Myrrh

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

I give up. You are being as a clear as mud.

quote:

The following quote is taken from the site above:

"These elements constituted the revealed manner in which the worship and sacrifice of Israel were to be made to God. Again, the primary function here was that of sacrifice: the offering of an animal to propitiate and atone (make amends or reparation) for the sin of God's people. The belief of the early Church was that the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ and His subsequent resurrection supplanted all temple sacrifice as a means of propitiation and atonement. In the sacrifice of Himself, Jesus Christ becomes the propitiation for all of mankind's sins; He is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29). Thereafter, for Christians, there was no need for an additional sacrifice. The Good News of Jesus Christ is that sins are forgiven in Him, and in Him Christians are reconciled to the Father."

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Those who hold, as you do (though tentatively, I suspect) that God is actually, apart from the work of Christ, angry at sinners, and, but for that Work, would ultimately actively destroy them in some manner, have to come to some way of interpreting God's "position", whereby it is possible to hold the view that He can simultaneously perfectly love one of His creatures whilst actively willing that creature's destruction. This seems to me akin to a belief that God can create a square circle, because

Interesting.

I think you have a problem here with defining what love is.

God can desire the best can't he? At the same time as rejecting the disease of sin which he finds unacceptable?

Is it sophistry to say that God's love and justice met at the cross and the resultant formula adds up to love being offered by God to man consequent to the admission (by man,) of his flawed and warped nature. Consequent to repentance in other words.

Ergo. The glorious heart of the gospel!

Love meets wrath equals sacrifice, mix with repentance eguals salvation. (Now that's a nice arminian equation.)

Right, catching up [Help]

I find there is no inherent link between God "rejecting the disease of sin, which He finds unacceptable" and forgiveness being consequent on repentance.

The sophistry to which I was referring wat the line of reasoning that goes something like "God loves us perfectly, yet he chooses to (or is constrained by his holiness to) exclude us from eternal life unless we do x or y. My submission is that it is sophistry to try to hold these two "truths" in dynamic tension; sophistry, because the very definition of love contains within it the desire for the well-being of the object of that love.

What would not be sophistry would be to allow this contradiction to drive us back to the scriptures to examine where we might have misunderstood them.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]The Bible describes it as wrath because of our anthropomorphic needs. It is easy for us to understand that God hates and punishes sin, because this is how humans react to harmful things. It is not so easy for a child to understand that the parents want him or her to go to bed because staying up would be harmful. It doesn't seem harmful, so the child mainly responds to the wishes and potential anger of the parents.

Well done Nice piece of reasoning.

No, Freddy is being honest and attempting to wrestle with the problem which I've articulated above. Because you understand the scriptures in a particular way, that doesn't mean that is what the scriptures "really say".

Actually, on certain issues, my theology is nearer to yours than to Freddy's, but I always appreciate the scholarly and honest way in which he addresses the issues, and I think that we should try to avoid what are clearly unhelpful caricatures of the positions of those with whom we disagree.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:

Hmmn, I clearly didn't express myself too well here. The specific point I was addressing was the argument that makes God responsible for evil in the world. I was pointing out that, in a world where the main physical processes are capable of scientific analysis, then there must be some truth in cause and effect. In some way, we could describe physical "laws" as merely different expressions of cause and effect.

Of course, there is some thinking that says every subatomic particle is consciously held to a certain behaviour by the active intervention of God, and that the regularity of the physical world is just a manifestation of God's faithfulness. This does, at least, put the lie to deism. But I think that such a system would make God the ordainer of evil, and that isn't, IMV, the overall message of Scripture.

However, if one adopts an orthodox position, rather than the extremes of deism and pantheism, God indeed does interact with His creation, most notably, as far as this thread is concerned, in the Atonement. That intervention is directed, in this case, at undoing the harm that we bring upon ourselves as the "effect" of the "cause" of sin, our own and that of others.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
I give up. You are being as a clear as mud.

quote:

The following quote is taken from the site above:

"These elements constituted the revealed manner in which the worship and sacrifice of Israel were to be made to God. Again, the primary function here was that of sacrifice: the offering of an animal to propitiate and atone (make amends or reparation) for the sin of God's people. The belief of the early Church was that the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ and His subsequent resurrection supplanted all temple sacrifice as a means of propitiation and atonement. In the sacrifice of Himself, Jesus Christ becomes the propitiation for all of mankind's sins; He is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29). Thereafter, for Christians, there was no need for an additional sacrifice. The Good News of Jesus Christ is that sins are forgiven in Him, and in Him Christians are reconciled to the Father."

Johnny I really don't see where the problem is here, I've never denied seeing Christ's death as propitiation has been part of the Church view, Hebrews and liturgy, but it's seen as a doing away with all that and remembered as such, we don't continue making such sacrifices but remember by being present at the last, but, and this is a big but, we could never say that God ever required it, we don't have that sort of God and we can't take it out of context of Passover which is not sacrifice as propitiation for sins, so, Christ fulfilling this leviatical system is what God has done for us (because that is where we came from) and so what we were burdened with and we remember it by participating in it.

Sins for us are not legal infractions against God, but missing the mark of our perfection in being like God, we have the free will to interact with that we're created in image and likeness and so:

St. Anthony the Great:
"God is good, dispassionate, and immutable. Now someone who thinks it reasonable and true to affirm that God does not change, may well ask how, in that case, it is possible to speak of God as rejoicing over those who are good and showing mercy to those who honour Him, and as turning away from the wicked and being angry with sinners. To this it must be answered that God neither rejoices nor grows angry, for to rejoice and to be offended are passions; nor is He won over by the gifts of those who honour Him, for that would mean He is swayed by pleasure. It is not right that the Divinity feel pleasure or displeasure from human conditions. He is good, and He only bestows blessings and never does harm, remaining always the same. We men, on the other hand, if we remain good through resembling God, are united to Him, but if we become evil through not resembling God, we are separated from Him. By living in holiness we cleave to God; but by becoming wicked we make Him our enemy. It is not that He grows angry with us in an arbitrary way, but it is our own sins that prevent God from shining within us and expose us to demons who torture us. And if through prayer and acts of compassion we gain release from our sins, this does not mean that we have won God over and made Him to change, but that through our actions and our turning to the Divinity, we have cured our wickedness and so once more have enjoyment of God’s goodness. Thus to say that God turns away from the wicked is like saying that the sun hides itself from the blind."

The eucharist sacrifice is primarily our participation in the divinity of Christ as Christ fully participated in our humanity, to the death, but not death without the resurrection, we are with Christ in being the offering and the giving of it having become in baptism of the Body of Christ. Not sanctification as from a forensic deal done with God (I got muddled about Calvin in another discussion) to turn out Christ's who don't sin after guilt has been removed, but actual participation in Christ in his direct divinity, theosis, which is understood as St Anthony says above.

Myrrh

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Vindication of God's servants, destruction of the unjust, to make way for the new heaven and new earth.
That makes sense to me.
quote:
quote:

Yes they do describe that, but that is just one subplot. Indeed the last judgment and the destruction of the ultimate enemies - death and Hades - happens after Satan is thrown into the fire.

So the final victory over Satan is important but it is only part of a bigger story.

Sorry, I guess I would conflate all of those things under the heading "defeat of Satan." The bigger story, then, is God's victory over all the forms of destruction and evil that threaten humanity.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
However, if one adopts an orthodox position, rather than the extremes of deism and pantheism, God indeed does interact with His creation, most notably, as far as this thread is concerned, in the Atonement. That intervention is directed, in this case, at undoing the harm that we bring upon ourselves as the "effect" of the "cause" of sin, our own and that of others.

Okay, I think I see where we struggle.

You cannot accept God being totally sovereign because that makes him the cause of evil.

I cannot accept evil being outside of God's control for then we would have no certain hope that he will defeat evil.

Either way I think you hit a brick wall.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
but, and this is a big but, we could never say that God ever required it, we don't have that sort of God

[brick wall] Where does it say that in the websites you cited?
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
quote:

Okay, I think I see where we struggle.

You cannot accept God being totally sovereign because that makes him the cause of evil.

I cannot accept evil being outside of God's control for then we would have no certain hope that he will defeat evil.

Either way I think you hit a brick wall.

I've no problem at all with the idea of God being ultimately totally sovereign, I just don't believe He micro-manages the whole of the universe in the sort of way that would make Him responsible for evil. And, of course, I believe that He has, in Christ, already defeated evil. We're just working through its death throes.

I also think that you are conflating "God is in control of evil" with "God will defeat evil". Actually, my view is that evil is, by definition, that which is not under the rule of God, but that the purpose of the atonement is to bring all things in subjection to Christ. If that is so, then clearly, all things are not now in subjection to Christ.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I've no problem at all with the idea of God being ultimately totally sovereign, I just don't believe He micro-manages the whole of the universe in the sort of way that would make Him responsible for evil. And, of course, I believe that He has, in Christ, already defeated evil. We're just working through its death throes.

Yes! I like that. We're just working through the death throes.
quote:
I also think that you are conflating "God is in control of evil" with "God will defeat evil". Actually, my view is that evil is, by definition, that which is not under the rule of God, but that the purpose of the atonement is to bring all things in subjection to Christ. If that is so, then clearly, all things are not now in subjection to Christ.

I like this too.

One way of looking at it that I find helpful is to understand that evil is not a gigantic force that opposes God. Rather, evil is a bothersome human tendency, like a dog's urgent desire to chase cars. God's combat with evil is like finding a training method that will rid the dog of this urgent desire without actually chaining the dog up.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

Ummh... sort of. I can see what you are getting at but if evil is 'out of God's control' then it cannot be certain that God will defeat it.

This has got nothing to do with big God and small Satan. Doesn't classical literature (never mind David & Goliath) not teach us that the little guy can easily win?

quote:
evil is a bothersome human tendency

And it is exactly that kind of description which, IMNSHO, minimises the true horror of evil and sin.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016