homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What I want on my tombstone (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What I want on my tombstone
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice one set to music by Jonathan Battishill in the late 18th century:

Here on his back doth lay Sir Andrew Keeling;
And at his feet his mournful lady kneeling.
But when he was alive and had his feeling,
She laid upon her back and he was kneeling.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They told me "today is the first day of the rest of your life." It wasn't.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am prideful to the end. This will do nicely for me:

She's not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joris2:
quote:
Originally posted by lapsed heathen:
quote:
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Aways liked this lyric as an epitaph.
It may be advisable to ask Leonard Cohen for his permission.
I think it would count as fair use and not be subject to copyright, after all I'm not going to be reproducing copies of my headstone in miniature for sale as souvenirs. On the other hand it would offset the funeral costs.

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother is a stonemason and delighted to hear that people are planning such lengthy epitaphs. He asks that you all arrange to die in the Wolverhampton area, but he stops short of asking that you could do it within the next 20 years - i.e. the time he has left to work before hanging up his chisel.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I'd like onions and sausage on my Tombstone.

Oh, not that kind of Tombstone?

Hm . . . something in Latin, making a nice allusions . . .
How about the last like of Question 90, Article 4 of the Prima Secundae?
"Et sic ex quatuor praedictis potest colligi definitio legis, quae nihil est aliud quam quaedam rationis ordinatio ad bonum commune, ab eo qui curam communitatis habet, promulgata."
Heck, I'll probably still be able to recite it even after it's carved on that chunk of rock above my head. Oh The Joy of being a grad student studying late medieval legal theory . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Ahem*: AristonAstuanax, could you translate? For it saith in the Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians that a toungue without translation is but a pissing in the breeze ... or summat lark thaht

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoops.
Part of the reason I didn't translate is that it sounds a lot more like something to put on a tombstone in Latin than in English.
"Thus from the four preceding articles, the definition of law may be gathered; and it is nothing else than an ordinance of reason for the common good, made by him who has care of the community, and promulgated."
Granted, that's not how I would render the above, but It's too early in the morning for Latin translation and what I've more-or-less memorized sometimes leaves out parts of the beginning.
I suppose one could make an argument that death is a universal law for all men, or some other mystical such-and-such like that, but really, I'd be putting this passage on my grave as a bit of a joke.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps: Ding dong! The wicked witch is dead. [Big Grin]

I remember the story about the late comedian Bob Hope; that when he was on his death-bed, his family asked him where he wanted to be buried, and he quipped: "I don't know. Surprise me!"

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ErinBear:

In fact, I have a photo of it on my refrigerator...may sound strange but I find it a comfort. I'll take that, please.

Blessings,
ErinBear

I read this too fast and thought you had a photo of your refrigerator and found it comforting. I totally understood.
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have for some time thought that "Thou art the journey and the journey's end" would be a nice epitaph.

Mind you, we may not get our wishes. Some cemetaries in the UK provide a list of acceptable and bland epitaphs, and no deviations or improvisations are permitted. Ditto tombstone design these days - they all have to be of uniform dimensions (makes it easier to stack them up at the side when the next lot of stiffs move in 60 years after your demise). My grandmother-in-law found this out when her husband died a few years ago. She was so disappointed, she decided not to have a headstone at all, and has planted a beautiful garden shrubbery over him instead.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
"If you can read this you are standing on my grave."

[Killing me] Absolutely brilliant!

quote:
Originally posted by daviddrinkell:
I rather liked:

Here lie I, Martin Elginbrod,
Hae Maircy on my soule, Lorde Gode,
As I wad dae, were I Lorde Gode
And ye were Martin Elginbrod.

[Killing me] Good one!

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
W.C.Fields hated his home town of Philadelphia. At his request, his tombstone in California says.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Ha ha ha. Who wouldn't?

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love a saying by the ancient Ionian philosopher Heraclitus:

αἰὼν παῖς ἐστι παίζων, πεσσεύων· παιδὸς ἡ βασιληίη.

which can be translated as: Time is a child at play, moving pieces in a board game; the kingly power is a child's.

A child's kingdom... Not a bad understanding of the Universe...

Perhaps I'd change a bit the ancient text, but that's the gist of what I have in mind.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016