homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: What do we do with the cursing psalms? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: What do we do with the cursing psalms?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LynnMagdalenCollege

Crossposting sometimes tells its own story. I am very sorry that you have had to go through that. Psalm 109 does indeed show the same retributional tendencies - but I agree about the "much closer to home" implications. It stands in sharp contrast with Sermon on the Mount principles again. I quite like your idea of certain scriptures carrying a "health warning" - but I really liked Lamb Chopped's post. If our brains indicate a health warning, we should thank God for our brains.

[ 05. December 2005, 08:18: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barnabas62 said:
That feels like "the end justifies the means". Few things cause more alienation than the sense that one has become a victim of such "holier than thou" behaviour.

I'm not sure that it isn't (end justifying the means), as uncomfortable as that makes us. I mean, consider Job - what was the whole point of THAT trauma?! God sics Satan on Job in the first place ("consider my servant Job...") - yikes! But at the end of the day, God IS holier than us and He can make that call. I do not see that call as being inconsistent with His very large, very loving, and very far beyond human character - but YMMV.

Oh, "The Left Hand of Darkness"! My favorite LeGuin - haven't read it in years; I should probably indulge again... (so many books, so little time!).

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
But it doesn't say the "dashing children against the rocks" is judgement on the children but on Babylon. It is hard to think of any punishment that could cause more pain and anguish than to see your children dashed against the rocks.

That it would be bad for the parents doesn't resolve the problem that the people who are being dashed on rocks are the innocent children. My God, do you think it would be right for someone to kill the Backslideret to punish me? Death would come on swift wings to anyone who tried that.

quote:
Nor does it say that this actually happens as judgement on Babylon; it is clearly one Jew, who has seen some pretty horrible atrocities done to his people by Babylon, saying that whatever horrible things happen to Babylon, they thoroughly deserve it, and the judgement that will eventually come upon them will be part of God's purposes.
I don't give a shit about Babylon in this context. I worry about the effect of talking about dashing infants on rocks as a positive thing, as this psalm does. If I were God, it most certainly wouldn't have made it into a psalm everyone to read.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (sorry!) - but Ps 137, imho (of course!), shifts in verses 7 & 8 from being a straightforward "this is what happened and this is how I'm feeling" psalm into metaphor - "Daughter of Babylon" is not a crown princess of Babylon but rather the personification of Babylon itself, and thus the children are not *human* children but rather the product of the 'Evil Empire' itself - the fruits, so to speak - the cruelty and injustice, etc.

Firstly LMC thanks for opening up the conversation to another Psalm. I will get to that in a moment.

Secondly, while your interpretation might lend itself to application, I don't believe it can be justified exegetically. I don't see any reason for assuming that at verse 8 the Psalm shifts into metaphor. I think the most straightforward reading is that the Psalmist is addressing the mothers of Babylon, and really talking about dashing real infants against real rocks. I don't see the point in softening it, or the justificaiton for spiritualising it.

Except when it comes to application, of course, because as Karl has said this being in the Bible probably causes a lot of problems for those of a hard core fundie persuasion.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except it doesn't seem to. It's amazing how it's justified. I find Custard's response interesting. It seems to imply that as long as you're doing it to punish the parents, it's perfectly acceptable to kill children as a punishment.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Except it doesn't seem to. It's amazing how it's justified. I find Custard's response interesting. It seems to imply that as long as you're doing it to punish the parents, it's perfectly acceptable to kill children as a punishment.

KLB

It isn't amazing, it's perfectly reasonable from a particular POV. Inerrancy is a controlling principle and sits over all other understandings, including ethical understandings. But that is a Dead Horse.

Those of us (like me and I think you) who know that way of looking at things but found we could not live under it, seem to inerrantists to go on divers and diverse journeys afterwards. In an odd way, our diversity encourages inerrantists to "hang on".

In private conversations, I tend to find that many folks see the ethical dilemmas which the cursing verses in the Psalms produce - and don't like them. But they aren't prepared to "sell" the inerrant principle because of what they don't like. Ultimately, conceding that one does not understand why "that" is "there" is preferable (from that POV) to conceding that it shows an erroneous ethic, or history, etc.

My concern about these rationalisations is that they can work their way into personal understanding. Folks may move towards the belief that human beings are justified, with the approval of God,in behaving as though "the end does justify the means". However, in my experience of innerantists, this is by no means inevitable or even very usual. The vast majority of inerrantists I've known have been gentle, kind and loving people. They often seem much nicer to me than the picture of God which they believe in.

Karl, if you'd like to continue this we could move it to the Dead Horse if you like.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um (carefully attempting to step around the rotting equine), I AM an inerrantist, and that doesn't force me to approve of the sentiment expressed in this verse (re killing babies). Believing in inerrancy doesn't mean approving of everything someone voices in the Scriptures. Nor does it mean taking everything dead literally and ignoring hyperbole, sarcasm and irony, etc.

In this case, I take inerrancy to mean that this verse is a true record of the feelings of the psalmist--not necessarily of God. [Ultra confused] That's all. And how can poetry be errant or inerrant, anyway?

But thanks for the nice things you said about some of us inerrantists. [Biased]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
In private conversations, I tend to find that many folks see the ethical dilemmas which the cursing verses in the Psalms produce - and don't like them. But they aren't prepared to "sell" the inerrant principle because of what they don't like. Ultimately, conceding that one does not understand why "that" is "there" is preferable (from that POV) to conceding that it shows an erroneous ethic, or history, etc.

I think that Christians have known from the beginning that killing children was not the way to go.

Yet up until recently people did not question that psalms, and other scriptures, like this one, belong in the Bible. They are consistent, in a superficial way, with the idea that the bad guys get what they deserve.

Inerrantism is not the only alternative to thinking that these verses don't belong.

Saying that we not understand why "that" is "there" is not the only alternative to thinking that God can do what He wants and that the recipients deserve what they get.

The alternative that I prefer is to accept that good and loving actions can be symbolized by actions that are actually wicked and hateful. Like slaughtering the enemy until not one remains. These wicked and hateful actions can be symbolically attributed to God even if the truth is that they did not originate in Him, and that actually opposes them.

The account can be seen as something endorsed by God as a metaphor that was easily understood by ancient and simple peoples, who saw nothing more than that God was on their side.

The cursing psalms are just a few of a large number of biblical examples of God apparently doing the kind of angry, hurtful and vengeful things that He repudiates in the New Testament.

Many examples of this kind of thing are undeniably metaphoric, such as Jesus' parable about ejecting a man from heaven who did not have a wedding garment. No one thinks that this is really the basis for anyone's ejection.

To my mind it is less problematic to accept that the Old Testament describes wicked times, and imperfect people - and that God used the events of that time to teach something better and prepare for His Advent - than to reject them.

The epistemological consequences of rejecting Scripture are more difficult to deal with than the relatively simple interpretation of the many biblical instances of God, or Israel, or the writer of this Psalm, acting or speaking vengefully or cruelly.

We need to get beyond the simplistic errant/inerrant dichotomy. It sets up a straw man that few have ever accepted.

[ 06. December 2005, 13:58: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do I hear the clip clop of a ghostly gee gee? I hope not.

Pyx_e Kerygmania Host

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Guys, I think this is worth a canter on the Dead Horse, simply because Lamb Chapped and Freddy's posts show a degree of freedom of interpretation of scripture with IME I don't find in inerrantists in the UK (or in classic books on the subject e.g Barrs "Fundamentalism"). So I'm off there and will post a connection and opener. Feel free .....

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Correction. Should have said " ... which IME ...".

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
but but but... does that answer the question? HOW do you guys read 109? (*whimper*)

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

My wife tells me that she has every sympathy and understanding for betrayed wives who cut off the sleeves and legs from articles of clothing belonging to their treacherous husbands. Its a sort of well-deserved symbolic "Bobbitisation". Anger at betrayal is justified and needs expression rather than immediate containment. That I think is what you can see happening in Psalm 109. I read Psalm 109 as written by the Psalmist as one going through this process, but not through it. The problem for us is that it is half the story, not the whole story, of the journey of coping with betrayal.

At some stage (and I guess the wisdom is always in the timing) there comes this inner awareness that the anger is degenerating into bitterness, and is poisoning us. Despite this, the need for closure continues so that we can move on, despite the unresolved issues of justice or retribution. This happened to me through a betrayal at work, which made me very ill and about which I was angry and bitter for almost 2 years. But at some stage, the most profound NT truths about love of enemies, forgiveness, and not repaying evil with evil, begin to awaken in the mind again and become possible. We may begin to see them as real closure for us, not just hollow words.

So I think it is better to see Psalm 109 as an illuminating part, but only a part, of the journey towards personal closure and moving on. I think you know where to look in the NT and in yourself for the rest of the journey. IME the journey cannot be forced or pushed - it has its own pace depending on the degree of betrayal and where we were in our own journeys when the betrayal happened.

Looking at my own experience (over 20 years old now), it became a powerful change-agent in my own understanding of many things. At the time, it was just horrible, and I often found my own reactions overwhelming and horribly confusing.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but but but... does that answer the question? HOW do you guys read 109? (*whimper*)

Psalm 109:
quote:
Psalm 109 (NKJV) 1 Do not keep silent,
O God of my praise!
2 For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful
Have opened against me;
They have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
3 They have also surrounded me with words of hatred,
And fought against me without a cause.
4 In return for my love they are my accusers,
But I give myself to prayer.
5 Thus they have rewarded me evil for good,
And hatred for my love.

6 Set a wicked man over him,
And let an accuser[a] stand at his right hand.
7 When he is judged, let him be found guilty,
And let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few,
And let another take his office.
9 Let his children be fatherless,
And his wife a widow.
10 Let his children continually be vagabonds, and beg;
Let them seek their bread[b] also from their desolate places.
11 Let the creditor seize all that he has,
And let strangers plunder his labor.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy to him,
Nor let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off,
And in the generation following let their name be blotted out.

14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD,
And let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be continually before the LORD,
That He may cut off the memory of them from the earth;
16 Because he did not remember to show mercy,
But persecuted the poor and needy man,
That he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing, so let it come to him;
As he did not delight in blessing, so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing as with his garment,
So let it enter his body like water,
And like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be to him like the garment which covers him,
And for a belt with which he girds himself continually.
20 Let this be the LORD’s reward to my accusers,
And to those who speak evil against my person.

21 But You, O GOD the Lord,
Deal with me for Your name’s sake;
Because Your mercy is good, deliver me.
22 For I am poor and needy,
And my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like a shadow when it lengthens;
I am shaken off like a locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting,
And my flesh is feeble from lack of fatness.
25 I also have become a reproach to them;
When they look at me, they shake their heads.

26 Help me, O LORD my God!
Oh, save me according to Your mercy,
27 That they may know that this is Your hand—
That You, LORD, have done it!
28 Let them curse, but You bless;
When they arise, let them be ashamed,
But let Your servant rejoice.
29 Let my accusers be clothed with shame,
And let them cover themselves with their own disgrace as with a mantle.

30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;
Yes, I will praise Him among the multitude.
31 For He shall stand at the right hand of the poor,
To save him from those who condemn him.

Here is how my tradition interprets this:
quote:
Psalm 109 - A Psalm about the unhappy state of the church.
Verses 1-6 It repudiated the Lord, and considered Him vile, and hated Him.
Verses 7-12 The church with those who reject Him will come to an end, and there will be others in their place, who will be received, and a church established with them.
13-20 The church will not contiue with their posterity, because they are in falsities of evil, and because they reject the Lord.
21-25 A prayer to the Father for help, because the Son is not accepted, is considered vile, and as nothing.
26-29 They will not succeed in evil.
30-31 Song in praise of the Father, because He gives help.

I don't know if this helps, but this is how I see the message of this Psalm. So it has nothing to do with revenge, but is merely a statement that the evil will not succeed in the long run.

The Psalmist himself, of course, would have known nothing of this. He was expressing the desire for revenge that was normal to him. But the Lord was using him to give a message.

I think that most Christians have basically understood this Psalm this way from the beginning. No one is really trying to make people's children into vagabonds.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Freddy

Is this a Swedenborgian inerrant interpretation? This is why I ask.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Freddy

Is this a Swedenborgian inerrant interpretation? This is why I ask.

Yes. But the link is broken, so I'm not sure what thread you mean.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The link is working OK for me, Freddy. I linked to the second post on page 1 of the Biblical Inerrancy thread (which I reviewed prior to posting there). My POV is that your interpretation is actually a very interesting and creative allegory. I only asked the question in case your understanding had moved on since that (by now) quite old post.

(LMC's issues of interpretation seemed to relate to the Psalmist's very human POV - which tends to be my normal way of looking at scripture.)

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
The link is working OK for me, Freddy. I linked to the second post on page 1 of the Biblical Inerrancy thread (which I reviewed prior to posting there). My POV is that your interpretation is actually a very interesting and creative allegory. I only asked the question in case your understanding had moved on since that (by now) quite old post.

I never realized that that thread was one I had ever posted on. That was in 2002. The horse lived until page 7 and then died. [Frown]

Then it lay rotting until 2004, when someone exhumed it. [Disappointed]

It is embarassing to read my old, mistaken opinions and realize that I haven't progressed an inch since then. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 07. December 2005, 18:49: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pposted by Freddy:
I don't know if this helps, but this is how I see the message of this Psalm. So it has nothing to do with revenge, but is merely a statement that the evil will not succeed in the long run.

The Psalmist himself, of course, would have known nothing of this. He was expressing the desire for revenge that was normal to him. But the Lord was using him to give a message.

This I find very interesting. You seem to be saying that the meaning of Psalm 109 is completely different from what the original author intended. In fact, a meaning that the Psalmist could not possibly have intended, seeing there was no church when ths Psalm was composed. This almost sounds like reader response post modern criticism to me, though clearly it isn't.

I can't agree, being a disciple of the historical critical method. To me, the primary meaning of the Psalm must be what the original author intended, as far as this can be deduced. In this case, the original author couldn't possibly have had the church in mind. Having said that, however, I do tend to play very fast and loose with the servant songs in Isaiah, but I maintain that the original author of those songs was not thinking specifically of Jesus (how could he/she?), but perhaps was thinkning in messianic terms.

Specifically talking about Psalm 109, I think I am in agreement with B62. The Psalmist perhaps finds the experience of writing very cathartic, just getting the whole of it out on paper. Perhaps this helps him or her to cope with their feelings. And as they are statements of feelings, they are above judgement. Feelings are morally neutral - they are neither good nor evil. The action we take as a result of feelings carry moral value.

I'm glad Psalms like this were written. I hope that the Psalmist was helped by the process of writing, and didn't try and take action for revenge. What would be the alternative? Supression? Should she/he jsut have kept the whole mess of feelings inside, trying to "mortify the flesh" or whatever? I am a firm believer that owning our feelings as part of us is the path to freedom, not trying to supress them or call them sinful and shameful.

I believed for a long time that the way of Christ was to "kill" the parts of me that were sinful, but I now believe that we need to embrace the "shadow" (to use Jungian language) as part of ourselves, realising that the more we try to kill or supress it the stronger we make it. To recognise it is to difuse it.

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight
To me, the primary meaning of the Psalm must be what the original author intended, as far as this can be deduced.

I agree that the author's intentions are the primary meaning, but I think it is profitable to meditate on other possible meanings.

I do this, not only with Bible passages, but with other things I hear and read. Sometimes I hear someone say something which is banal in one sense and very profound in another. Even if I'm certain that the banal sense was the one intended, I still can profit by thinking of the profound meaning.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
This I find very interesting. You seem to be saying that the meaning of Psalm 109 is completely different from what the original author intended. In fact, a meaning that the Psalmist could not possibly have intended, seeing there was no church when ths Psalm was composed.

Yes. Not completely different, though. Just a level above. And frequently the meaning is exactly the same as the literal meaning - so that the meaning can be seen by having a comprehensive understanding of the Bible.
quote:
I can't agree, being a disciple of the historical critical method. To me, the primary meaning of the Psalm must be what the original author intended, as far as this can be deduced. In this case, the original author couldn't possibly have had the church in mind.

Isn't this in conflict with the idea that God is the author of Scripture? Why would God be concerned about the trivial and temporal things that are reported throughout much of the Bible?
quote:
Having said that, however, I do tend to play very fast and loose with the servant songs in Isaiah, but I maintain that the original author of those songs was not thinking specifically of Jesus (how could he/she?), but perhaps was thinkning in messianic terms.

I agree that this kind of things points to divine authorship and a message that could not have been clearly understood by the writer.
quote:
I believed for a long time that the way of Christ was to "kill" the parts of me that were sinful, but I now believe that we need to embrace the "shadow" (to use Jungian language) as part of ourselves, realising that the more we try to kill or supress it the stronger we make it. To recognise it is to difuse it.

I agree. Recognition helps to remove its power over me. But how is "diffuse" different from "kill"? Aren't they just two ways of referring to a similar idea?

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Yes, Barnabas62, that's ultimately where I wound up - but *even now* I find it challenging to read the cursing portions and must be careful not to slip into sinful attitudes (just as I have to be careful not to slip into lust when watching certain films with specific actors - at least when I'm *alone* and more susceptible to such inclinations [Hot and Hormonal] ).

I've come to believe THIS is part of why God calls David "a man after My own heart" - because he brought the whole of who he was: good, bad, ugly, broken, exultant, etc. to the Lord.

Freddy, that's *wild* - I would have never thought of reading Psalm 109 as an allegory for the church in the world!!! wow!

Dark Knight, I guess "embrace" sounds too much to me like "approve of." I think there are things in me which I cannot kill (you cannot crucify yourself - at a certain point, you require a person outside yourself to wield the hammer - ugh) and which Christ will either kill or redeem (wood hay and stubble, or gold and jewels). But yes, I can't do *anything* with it until I recognize it's there and take it humbly before Jesus. And there was a time when 109 specifically was 'way too triggering for me - this is instructive for me to read how others process it.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Freddy, that's *wild* - I would have never thought of reading Psalm 109 as an allegory for the church in the world!!! wow!

Yet it is a very common Christian theme that God came into the world and was rejected by His own, or by "the church." Isaiah 53 comes to mind: "He is despised and rejected by men."

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine on the lower east side in Manhattan saw a young boy in the window of a tenement building across the street, shouting excitedly to his friends on the pavement below. He was leaning against a "safety" grate in the window. Sadly, the absentee slumlords had done nothing to maintain the building and the fixings which attached the grate to the window had rusted away. He plunged several stories to his death, crumpled in a pool of blood.

Later that day my friend tells of how he was praying the daily office which, that contained Ps. 137. He said that he knew he could not love that dead child and his friends and family unless he also seethed with anger against his murderers, and against a whole system that put saving a few cents on repairs ahead of the lives of the beautiful children of God. He needed to bring that hatred and rage honestly and openly before God.

There is a chapter in Ellen's F. D. Maurice anthology entitled, somewhat startlingly, "Hate necessary to love," in which Maurice makes the point that in his "enlightened" age (and ours), we like to think of ourselves as superior to the psalmist in that we don't have these "un-Christian" feelings. Actually, he argues, we are inferior to the psalmist. We don't have them only because we don't love deeply enough for them to arise.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

I suspect hate is necessary to love, but our warm fuzzy sentimental view of love objects... this post makes me think of Psalm 139:21-22 "Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies." That's hard.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

But anger and hatred are not the same thing. I can seethe with anger at such a Landlord without hating him, in the sense of wanting to see him suffer for it.

I have always understood that the Christian ideal is to feel anger, but not to allow it to turn to hatred.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a distinction might be made in the cold light of the day but not, I suspect, at the time of anger.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

There is this advice in Ephesians 4. No one says it is easy to do.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

All the more reason to rejoice that the psalmist is honest about his feelings.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've missed it on the thread, I apologize, but I wonder:

Do we read the cursing psalms aloud in church? Should we?

In this, do we distinguish between the generally "mad-at-God" psalms and the "bash the babies on rocks" verses?

(Off to refresh my memory with particular psalms, after which I'll come back to say some more on what I think... after doing some IRL work first.)

[ 13. December 2005, 18:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

We read this (Ps 137) one in our Psalter.

Amazingly, I've never heard anyone complain.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
There is this advice in Ephesians 4. No one says it is easy to do.

Barnabas, do you understand that to mean that all hatred is sin? I thoroughly agree with the passage - I just reconcile it with the "perfect hatred" passage as both being possible, although incredibly difficult! (I could walk a tightrope in ballet shoes while playing a tuba, in theory... in reality, it will NEVER happen!).

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Certainly I have always held, and always had taught, that hatred of a person is always wrong, because it disaligns us from God, who hates no-one.

I do therefore see the "I hate..." bits in the psalms as part of an imperfect revelation. Our standard has to be Jesus' - "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do", said of people currently nailing Him up.

This assumes that we're working to the same definition of hate - a state where we would gain pleasure out of seeing the object of our hatred suffer.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I think Karl has put his finger on the real issue; the notion of taking pleasure in someone else's suffering is wrong. But I think that is human vengeance. I see a dueller saying "I DEMAND satisfaction". I think it is the innate demands of hate which are very dangerous. The language strikes me as very slippery, holding both good and bad stuff in it, and I'm thinking it through. I keep coming up with the idea of sublimation, but need to work a bit harder than I've currently got the time for in coming up with a cogent answer to LMC's very good question. More later.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

I don't relate to the notion of taking pleasure in someone else's suffering. I'm not trying to make myself out as "holier than thou" (HECK NO!!!) but, for whatever reasons, it's not a natural place for me to go. I remember sitting in a counseling office with my 2nd husband, seeing him break down and say, "I love you, I didn't mean it, I was just angry and I wanted to hurt you--" totally threw me - I just can't make sense of that behavior.

So it may well have to do with our definition of "hate"... hmmm. Yes, I do look forward to the fruits of more pondering (world enough, and time!)

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Here are some by no means fully-integrated thoughts, which may provoke some further dialogue. The thread may become purgatorial as a result, but let's see where it goes.

I think my starting point is the idea of triggers and the fight/flight syndrome. We see an adult slapping a child repeatedly in the face. To be triggered is inevitable - what is triggered may very well be anger, an owerpowering desire to respond in some way. Plus adrenaline, charging us up for fight/flight. The response is automatic. The anger over the adult's behaviour is justified. But there may also be inhibitions against taking immediate action. Considerative mechanisms take over, controlling the instinctive expression of the triggered anger.

Now consider this is a repeated experience - like the abuse of the exile. You are triggered every time, but you are also aware of your own impotence to do anything against the oppressor. So your anger over the action becomes wedded to the perpetrator. Some day .......

It is said that revenge is a dish best served cold. Don't get mad. Get even.

I think when we consider the relationship between anger, hatred and revenge, there are probably very complex processes of triggering, considering, suppressing and judging going on. Some of these are likely to lead to the augmentation of anger into hatred, and to the hatred becoming wedded to a desire to "get even".

What seems to me to be important is to recognise that that the jounrey from anger to revenge via hatred is not inevitable. We need to develop some wisdom and self knowledge to avoid being in some way "dragged down" to the level of behaviour which has triggered the anger.

With these thoughts in mind, it is very interesting to see the juxtapostion in the Lords Prayer of the following thoughts.

"Lead us not into temptation (alt; do not bring us to the test)"

BUT

"Deliver us from evil."

These triggered reactions are a test. Detestation is certainly not wrong in itself, indeed it seems to me that anger can be a perfectly proper response.

Thrown into the pot, for others to consider, is the notion of the "higher centres" of brain function which exercise some measure of control over primitive brain responses, and the equally provocative Romans 7 idea of the divided self (the evil that I would not, that I do etc).

Can hatred be righteous? Well, here is a context which should give all of us food for thought.

"God says", according to Amos.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The thread may become purgatorial as a result, but let's see where it goes.

Guideline 1 suggests :

quote:
1. Biblical based opening posts only – this board is for discussing the Bible. Discussions and arguments should arise from biblical study. Such threads may progress into theological debate as long as they remain biblically grounded. General theological debate is carried out in Purgatory.

I do not see your post as purgatorial. I see it as part of a healthy discussion based on a biblical OP and grounded in the bible. Kerygmania needs to let its self go a little bit and move beyond some of its fromer constraints. Cracking post, keep it up please.

Pyx_e Kerygmania Host.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

I would draw a strong distinction between hatred of persons and hatred of things, actions, attitudes or whatever. St Augustine had a well known saying on that, which has become devalued through constant use.

What we often see in these sorts of passages, and often in ourselves, is a crossing over from hating what people do to the people themselves. I think it is that crossing over that we are enjoined not to do. It also seems to me that the Lord's Prayer tells us why:

Forgive us our sins
As we forgive those who sin against us

Easy? Probably not. But Jesus did seem to think it was terribly important, what with the parable of the unforgiving servant, and His talk of us being treat with the same measure that we treat others, in forgiveness as much as anything.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Karl

I think you are right and have said something similar in a previous post. What I'm trying to get my head around are the sorts of processes by which "hatred of the sin" moves into "hatred of the sinner" and "desire for vengeance".

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:

Or even ask a question?

In the ECUSA Sunday lectionary, I don't think the bashing-heads and killing-enemies verses are included at all -- or if they are, at St. Z we always exclude them.

In the Daily lectionary, which includes provision for reading the entire psalter, there are also alternatives for avoiding the bashing-heads and killing enemies verses and a few entire psalms. At St. Z when we used to have regular evening prayer, the cursing verses were included or not on a haphazard basis depending on the choice of the person leading the service. (Usually a lay person, and I'm not sure how much training we had in thinking through including them or not.)

I don't reflexively think "of course they should never be read in public worship" -- I think we are at danger of cleansing too much the bible if we don't grapple with what's really in it. But I would also want to be cautious -- I'd want to either have a chance to talk about the verses in the sermon, or have a small enough congregation that I knew well enough to be confident that they wouldn't go away thinking the verses mean that God tells us to bash children's heads on rocks.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:

Or even ask a question?.....

I'd want to either have a chance to talk about the verses in the sermon, or have a small enough congregation that I knew well enough to be confident that they wouldn't go away thinking the verses mean that God tells us to bash children's heads on rocks.

I think that people in the congregation mostly get that this isn't really about cursing anyone or bashing anyone's head. They regularly hear things such as the following:
quote:
"Jehovah God or the Lord never curses anyone, is never angry with anyone, never leads anyone into temptation, and never punishes, let alone curses anybody. It is the devil's crew who do such things. Such things cannot possibly come from the fountain of mercy, peace, and goodness. The reason why here (in God's curse on the serpent in Genesis 3) and elsewhere in the Word it is said that Jehovah God not only turns His face away, is angry, punishes, and tempts, but also slays and even curses, is that people may believe that the Lord rules over and disposes every single thing in the whole world, including evil itself, punishments, and temptations. And after people have grasped this very general concept, they may then learn in what ways He rules and disposes, and how He converts into good the evil inherent in punishment and the evil inherent in temptation. In teaching and learning the Word very general concepts have to come first; and therefore the sense of the letter is full of such general concepts." Arcana Coelestia 245
To my mind, this helps quite a bit. It provides a logic for these harsh things being there, and a way of understanding them that affirms their divine authorship without justifying what they literally say.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
I don't reflexively think "of course they should never be read in public worship" -- I think we are at danger of cleansing too much the bible if we don't grapple with what's really in it. But I would also want to be cautious -- I'd want to either have a chance to talk about the verses in the sermon, or have a small enough congregation that I knew well enough to be confident that they wouldn't go away thinking the verses mean that God tells us to bash children's heads on rocks.

It is a rather delicate line to walk, isn't it? I've never heard Ezekiel 23 read in church, either (a very graphic chapter, imho).

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back and respond to some of these posts.

quote:
Posted by Freddy:
I agree. Recognition helps to remove its power over me. But how is "diffuse" different from "kill"? Aren't they just two ways of referring to a similar idea?

Perhaps, as both are metaphors for something going on internally, but the language we use either expresses the way we think or influences it. In this case, to say kill in reference to a part of myself is a destructive and dualistic image, suggesting that there is a part of me that is just "bad" and needs to be destroyed.

However, when I use the term "diffuse" I am saying that there are things that I do which may have negative consequences, and these need to be redirected or reassessed. I am not talking as if something was inherently wrong with me.

In relation to these Psalms, my understanding is this: rather than stewing on these deep feelings of anger and hatred, either forcing them deeper inside to boil and simmer away or exploding outward into anger, physical violence or homicide, the Psalmist acts to get those feelings and thoughts out, away from him/her, to where they can do no damage to him/herself or anyone else. If this is what is going on, this should be celebrated. It is not a cause for saying there is a deep problem here with the Psalmist which is "sinful" and needs to be killed.

Forgive me if I bypass your comments on inspiration etc., as Godfather Pyx_e might well leave a horse's head in my bed if I go down that path [Eek!]

Lyn:
quote:
Dark Knight, I guess "embrace" sounds too much to me like "approve of." I think there are things in me which I cannot kill (you cannot crucify yourself - at a certain point, you require a person outside yourself to wield the hammer - ugh) and which Christ will either kill or redeem (wood hay and stubble, or gold and jewels).
I hope my response to Freddy clarifies my view. I realise the metaphors you have chosen are biblical ones (wood hay and stubble etc) I am just not sure what to make of them anymore. I remain convinced that crucifixion- either self or by someone else (please understand I am speaking metaphorically, as in crucifying parts of yourself or someone else that are "sinful") is not the path to wholeness.

leo: Great story, I think a very powerful and practical exegesis of the Psalm's meaning. Thank you so much for telling that story [Overused]

--------------------

----

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back and respond to some of these posts.

quote:
Posted by Freddy:

Perhaps, as both are metaphors for something going on internally, but the language we use either expresses the way we think or influences it. In this case, to say kill in reference to a part of myself is a destructive and dualistic image, suggesting that there is a part of me that is just "bad" and needs to be destroyed.

However, when I use the term "diffuse" I am saying that there are things that I do which may have negative consequences, and these need to be redirected or reassessed. I am not talking as if something was inherently wrong with me.

Very nice thoughts. I relate completely. So I agree that "diffuse" is a better way to think of it.

It is terrible to think of God wishing to "kill" a part of us. My own opinion is that there is nothing wrong with any of us. It is more an issue of what we allow to influence us.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
[QB]
quote:
Posted by Freddy:

This is very well put. The recognition that there is something wrong with our behaviour, but it does not take away the crucial "made in the image of God"-ness. The latter is also our inheritance.

I think it has been said that Christianity takes, simultaneously, both a high view and a low view of human nature. I doubt whether my experience is unique in finding, within the body of the church, some people with both an unecessarily low opinion of themselves (the "worm" factor) and others with an irrationally high opinion of themselves (the "self-proclaimed" factor). Personal blindness is common to all.

In my tradition, conversion is a recognition that we cannot, on our own, move away from this propensity to sin. We need Christ as Saviour. This is very easily, and in my mind very dangerously, construed as "there is something very wrong with all of us", rather than "there is something very wrong with sinfulness".

The crux of the matter is the simultaneous acceptance of personal responsibility, the acknowledgement of being in ignorance or denial, and the willingness to seek and accept transforming help. (This is all an uncomfortable reminder of Charles Kennedy's currently desperate situation).

I said it earlier, and I agree with Dark Knight's view, that the cursing Psalmist is better expressing the bitterness to get it "out there". I still reckon that the text of Psalm 137 shows personal ignorance, within the Psalmist, of the damaging effects of his own bitterness. At the time of writing, he was an "unfinished work". It is just hard for some people, coming from a sola scriptura or inerrancy position, to accept that you can say that sort of thing about biblical texts without somehow betraying a belief in authority and inspiration. My own understanding comes from a serious commitment to the authority and inspiration of scripture. This makes me think long and hard about what these things can mean and how they can illuminate life today.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Freddy quoth
quote:
It is terrible to think of God wishing to "kill" a part of us. My own opinion is that there is nothing wrong with any of us. It is more an issue of what we allow to influence us.

Which is something like what I was saying about Jesus and the fig tree.

P

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

My daily reading today included Psalm 137 so I paid special attention, keeping this thread in mind, and the way I read it today is that the psalmist is crying out so much from his own pain and loss - his children having been dashed against the rocks by the Babylonians and now he is suffering so, and yet being asked to sing and entertain his captors and, out of that pain and desire to be avenged, he says, "it would be a blessing to be the person dishing out the deserved recompense against these brutal Babylonians!"

I didn't get the sense that God was advocating that emotional response - but it's real, it's human, and God doesn't shrink away from it and say, "Eeeeuuw! I can't like you anymore!" (thank heavens for that). I'll be back soon and read the posts I've missed...

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{bump}

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lori
Shipmate
# 9456

- Posted      Profile for Lori     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know nothing, so this is very much my unknowledgeable thoughts only.

But when I read about, 'Happy is he who dashes babies' heads against the rocks,' I think well at least this writer knew exactly what he was really praying for when he wanted evil to be destroyed. That, in this instance, it would mean even killing the young ones.

Seems to me it is all to easy to pray, 'Oh Lord, stop this evil/injustice/immorality,' or, 'Please God, show them the error of their ways,' without ever thinking through how this could or would be accomplished. Even right down to the neighbourhood level. If Mr. Drug Taker down the road gets off drugs, how will Mrs. Drug Taker relate to him now? What will happen to her? What will happen to their children? What if he only gets off drugs once he is arrested? What happens to the wife and children then? What if they lose their house? What if she cannot cope? What if the children end up in care? 'Happy are they who render children parentless...'?????

I take the end of Psalm 137 as 'Think about what you are praying for......'

Because achieving the objective ain't always pretty.

Posts: 137 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016