homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: The Bible, Non-stop - GENESIS (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: The Bible, Non-stop - GENESIS
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I guess I can't figure out what you post because I can't find a version of the Bible that has more than 28 verses in chapter 45 of Genesis...

Genesis 46:1-28

So the whole kit and caboodle set off for Egypt and when they got as far as Beersheba Israel made a sacrifice to the God of his father Isaac. The LORD spoke to Israel in his dreams: "Jacob, Jacob--"

"I am here, LORD--"

"I AM the God of your father. I know you're nervous about taking everybody to Egypt but don't be - My hand is in it and my plan will make you a great nation and in the fullness of time I will bring the nation Israel out of Egypt, back to the land I promised your father Isaac and Abraham. And Joseph himself will close your eyes."

Encouraged, Jacob continued on the journey with all their wives and children and herds and flocks; all their riches accumulated in Canaan. Everyone of Jacob's descendants traveled with him (except for Er and Onan, who died in Canaan). All in all, wives, sacks, cats, kits, there 70 people (if you include Manasseh and Ephraim, Joseph's sons born in Egypt) of Israel's line who came to Egypt.

And Judah went ahead of the party to Joseph so that he might show them the way to Goshen.

note: the pilgrim's post was from chapter 47, so carry on until 47:29-31

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
[QBnote: the pilgrim's post was from chapter 47, so carry on until 47:29-31 [/QB]

I am so sorry. Just a plain old fashioned slip-up from an old A.D.D dyslexic kid who's getting a bit senile to boot!

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just figured you really are tired of Joseph-- [Biased]

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 46:29-47:10

So Joseph hustled to get his chariot hitched up and he raced up to Goshen; as soon as he saw his father he threw himself on his neck and cried and cried and cried.

Israel (who was rather weepy himself) said, "Now I'm content to die because I have seen your dear face and know that you thrive--"

Joseph told the family, "I'm going up to Pharaoh to let him know you're here; I'll tell him that you keep cattle and sheep and you've brought all the flocks and herds and everything. So here's the protocol: when Pharaoh calls you in front of him and asks what you do, tell him, "Your sevants have kept livestock all our lives, and our fathers before us." Do this, and you shall be able to live in Goshen, because shepherds are loathsome to Egyptians."

Joseph took 5 of his brothers and presented them to Pharaoh and they did just as Joseph instructed them and Pharaoh gave permission for them to live in Goshen. Pharaoh even said, "If there are any capable men among your brothers, give them charge over my livestock, too."

Then Joseph presented his father to Pharaoh and Jacob blessed Pharaoh. "How old are you?" Pharaoh asked him.

"I've sojourned on the earth for 130 years: short, hard work they've been, too, and I'm not as old as my fathers before me." And Jacob blessed Pharaoh once again and left his presence, returning to his family in Goshen.

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genesis 47:11 to 47:26

When he got back, Joseph gave his dad, brothers and rest of the household a decent bit of land and plenty of food.

Unfortunately, food was pretty scarce elsewhere in the area on account of there being a big famine. Joseph, being a seemingly reasonable sort of chap, contributed some money to help out, but when it was all spent and the Egyptians were still hungry, they wanted to know what he was going to do about it. Being a man with a keen eye for a business opportunity, he suggested he take their cattle in exchange for some more food. Oh, and their horses, sheep, goats, asses - anything that moved, really.

The next year, more famine, more problems. Now the people had no money, no food, and no livestock. The people suggested all they had left was the land, so he might as well have that too, but that meant they were now slaves. At least they'd be alive, though. Joseph was then able to give all the land to the Pharaoh, who no doubt was very delighted.

There's always an exception, of course, and it turns out the priests were allowed to keep their land as they had a Special Financial Deal with the Pharaoh.

Joseph then gave the newly bankrupt enslaved people some seed, but pointed out that the deal was that they give a fifth of their crops to the Pharaoh in perpetutity. They said they were really pleased with all of this...but were they...?

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Minor point in Second Thoughts thread.

Genesis 47:27-28

Israel (the man and the family) lived in Goshen in Egypt and acquired property and were fruitful and multiplied. Jacob himself lived another 17 years, to the ripe old age of 147.

quote:
Originally posted by the pilgrim:
Genesis 47:29-31

One day old Israel got it into his mind that the time was drawing near to box it all up and move to that land wither his fathers had gone before him (the eternal promised land that is). So he called his son Joseph and said "If you still love yer' old man grab my ball-sack and make me a promise! It's not that I don't like your new digs, but once I've kicked the bucket don't you dare let my bones ROT in this Godless country. I want them to rest in the Promised Land along with the bones of Dad and Grandpa. Swear it to me boy!"

So Joseph did, and it made the old man so happy he worshiped right there on the spot leaning on his cane.

now we're ready for Genesis 48

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genesis 48:1-2

One day, while Joseph was busy doing his Egyptian management stuff, a servant came to him, simply saying "Your father is ill." The tone of his voice implied the adjverb "gravely."

And so, with haste, Joseph gathered his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, and went to his father. When Jacob heard of his arrival, he, with considerable effort, managed to sit up in bed. The doctors gaped in amazement, for he had not done this for many weeks.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 48:3-11

Old Jacob told Joseph, "God Almighty blessed me; He appeared to me at Luz in Canaan and said, 'I am going to bless your socks off! You'll multiply into a nation and this land I will give to your descendants after your passing.' (which is getting closer--).

Jacob continued, "Your sons born here in Egypt, I'm adopting them: they will be my sons just as Reuben and Simeon are my sons. Any other sons you have, they're yours - but these, these two are mine and they will receive the inheritance with my sons." Jacob seemed to drift for a moment, lost in reminiscence: "When I came from Paddan Aram my beloved Rachel died on the way, much to my grief-- and I buried her there at Bethlehem, on the way to Ephrath."

And then Jacob seemed to notice Ephraim and Manasseh for the first time: "Who are these boys?" he asked querulously.

Joseph told him, "These are my sons (the ones you just adopted--), born here in Egypt: Ephraim and Manasseh."

"Bring them close! I want to bless them!" His eyes had dimmed so much that he could barely see so Joseph led the boys up to their grandfather, who kissed them and held them close. Tears spilled across his face: "I never expected to see your face again and, look! God has even let me see your children."

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 48:12-22

Joseph bowed low before his father and brought his two sons for blessing: Ephraim to Jacob's left and Manasseh to Jacob's right. But Israel crossed his hands as he put them on their heads: his right hand on Ephraim-the-younger's head and his left hand on Manasseh-the-firstborn's head. First he blessed Joseph.

"The God of my fathers Abraham and Isaac has been my Shepherd to this very day, Angel of God Who has redeemed me from evil: bless these boys. Let my name live on in them: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob! May they grow into a mighty company!"

But Joseph was disturbed to see his father's hands crossed and he took hold of his father's right hand in order to move it to Manasseh's head, saying, "No, Papa, this is the firstborn; give him preeminence."

But Israel was not willing. "Joseph, my son, I know - but I also know something about God favoring as He pleases. Manasseh's tribe will indeed be great but Ephraim's will be even greater."

Thus Jacob blessed them and said, "Israel will bless by one another by you: Israel will say, 'May God make you prosper like Ephraim and Manasseh!'"

Jacob turned to Joseph, "I'm not long for this world but God will be with you and He will bring you back to the land of your fathers. I give you the double portion, more than I give to your eleven brothers, riches I took from the Amorites by sword and bow."

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

We have a request that Jacob's blessing of his sons be taken one son per post, okay?

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genesis 49: 1-4

1 Then Jacob called for his sons and said:

"Gather around - I've got some good news and some bad news about what's going to be happening to each of you in the next few days and weeks once I've 'shed this mortal coil', ok? Reuben, you are my firstborn, strong and powerful, but on account of how you went onto this dear old Dad's bed with my wife and were rather naughty, you're not going to be as strong and excellent in the future. In fact, I'm not going to treat you like a firstborn son now - you'll just be an ordinary one, and think yourself lucky I didn't do worse to you, ok?"

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Simeon and Levi, the two of you suck so much you're together just about maybe worth one son, so I'm going to tell the two of you together straight out: you suck. You thought I'd forgotten that slaughtering of the Shechemites thing, didn't you? No such luck. You're not going to get to live gathered together like your brothers' descendants; no, you're going to be scattered all over."

Genesis 49:5-7

[ 26. March 2008, 17:55: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genesis 49:8-23

Judah, you rock. You rock so hard that all of your brothers shall laud ya. All of your enemies shall live under your iron fist. Not only will your sons praise you, they will bow down to you.

Judah truly is like a lion's cub; he's always been a hunter, no matter the prey. Even in recline, he's so leonine that none would dare arouse him!

The scepter will always be in Judah's hand, and the staff of power shall be forever between his feet, until tribute comes to him, and the obedience of the peoples is his.

This kid is gonna have so many grapes that he shall use grapevines, even the best grapevines to bind his foals and donkey's colts. He will have so much wine he'll use it for laundry detergent, dying his clothes royal purple. In these robes, he shall be kingly, especially with those dark eyes of his. He shall always remember to brush your teeth, and they shall be whitened.

ETA: fixed pronoun

[ 26. March 2008, 20:04: Message edited by: mirrizin ]

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

N.B. - the above post covers verses 8-12

Genesis 49:13

Zebulun will go down to the sea and be a haven for ships. He will flank Sidon, a border and buffer for his brothers.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Issachar is strong, living in a pleasant valley between good neighbours, neighbours as strong and contented as cattle. So he worked hard, like the neutered ass he is, and sold himself into slavery."

Genesis 49:14-15

--------------------
Truth

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan will be a governor in Israel.

He'll be like a little snake hiding in the grass that bites a horse's heel so that the rider falls off.

Gen 49:16-17

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Genesis 49:18-19

Jacob paused for a moment and said "I just can't wait for your salvation, God".

Continuing to address his offspring now, he said, "Gad, you're going to be in a huge battle, but you'll win in the end"

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Genesis 49:20

Asher will provide butter for the Royal slice of bread.

--------------------
Truth

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 49:21

As a deer runs and pants for the water, so Naphtali runs poetic.

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Genesis 49: 22-26

Joseph, he's a fine fellow. Although plenty of people in his life have been out to get him, he's defended himself well, using wisdom and courage rather than violence, thanks to God's help. God will undoubtedly keep on blessing him, as I do too.

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 49:27

Benjamin's appetite is great: he begins like a wolf by gulping down his prey; as the sun sets he divvies up the spoil.

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Genesis 49: 28-33

So... Jacob had duly given his blessing/prediction for each of his twelve offspring.

He told them again that he was to die, and wanted to be buried in Ephron's cave. Giving his last careful and detailed instructions on where to find this cave, just in case they got it wrong, he also gave them a clue or two about which other famous names were already buried there, (Abraham and Sarah, Isaac, Rebeckah and Leah).

Jacob then curled up and died.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Genesis 50:1-6

Joseph instantaneously went into hyper-grief mode, weeping and kissing his dead father's face. He ordered the physicians to make a mummy of his daddy, and so Israel was embalmed in a process that took 40 days, which is about how long it takes to turn a dead daddy into a mummy. And as if that wasn't service enough, the Egyptians wept for him for 70 days.

When they were finally finished with their weeping, Joe addressed the household of Pharaoh, saying, "If you truly think I'm worthy, deliver the following message to Pharaoh:

My father made me swear an oath; he said, 'I am about to die. In the tomb that I carved out for myself (with my bear hands!) in Canaan, there you shall bury me.'"

Pharaoh heard this message, and without hesitation replied, "Well, I can't really argue with a dead man's dying wish. Go on up and bury your father, as he made you swear to do."

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Genesis 50:7-9

Everyone who was anyone travelled with Joseph to Canaan for Jacob's funeral: Pharaoh's servants, and his advisors, and all the elders of Egypt, and all the households of Jacob and of Joseph and of his brothers, and chariots and riders. Except they left the children home with the flocks and herds, and Pharaoh stayed home too.

[ 07. April 2008, 20:08: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 50:10-14

When the large company came to the threshing floor of Atad, beyond the Jordan, they mourned for Joseph's father for seven days with intense mourning and great drama, so much so that the locals said, "Wow-- that is one heavy-duty Egyptian act of grief, major big time mourning--" and so they called the place Abel-mizraim, Meadow of Egypt.

So it was that Jacob's sons did for him all that he charged them because they carried him back to Canaan and buried him in the cave of his fathers at Macpelah, in the field that Abraham bought as a burial site for Sarah, lo many years back.

After they finished, the Joseph and his brothers and the whole company returned to Egypt.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Genesis 50:15-17

"Hey bros, what we gonna do? now that Dad is dead and not able to protect us, Joey might decide it's time to take revenge on us for that little incident with the pit."

(Deep thought by 11 scheming minds)

"I know, let's tell him Dad told him to treat us nicely and not hold the past against us."

(The 11 brothers login.)

To: zaphnath.paaneah@egypt.gov
Subject: Dad said...
"Hi Joe. Remember that unfortunate incident the last time we saw you before you left for Egypt? Well, Dad said to forgive us for that and treat us nicely. We are really sorry and it won't happen again. Sincerely, the 11 of us who love you a whole lot and please don't forget it."

(Joseph weeps.)

--------------------
Truth

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Genesis 50:18=26

Realizing that the email was kind of cold, the 11 assembled themselves before Joseph and groveled and said, "We're your servants! (don't kill us please)"

And Joseph realized they still hadn't resolved the guilt from their past actions against him so he tried to set their minds at rest: "Please don't fear me; I'm not God. You were angry and acted against me with evil intent but God Himself meant it for good, in order that all of us and many many others might survive the famine. Please - don't be afraid of me; I will continue to look out for you and your children," and so Joseph reassured his brothers.

Joseph lived out the rest of his life in Egypt, along with all his father's household. He saw his son Ephraim's great-grandchildren (his double-greats) and Manasseh's grandchildren he bounced on his knee.

Finally Joseph called his brothers and said, "I'm dying - but God is going to look out for you; He will bring you out of this land and back to Canaan, the land He Himself swore to give to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as a lasting inheritance. So you must promise me you will carry my bones up from Egypt when God makes His move."

Joseph was 110 when he died; he was embalmed in the Egyptian manner and put in a coffin.

And so ends Genesis; on to Exodus!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016