homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: CPAS = GAFCON? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: CPAS = GAFCON?
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP is about the CofE.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty: ]I'm not convinced that your were using the phrase [Fundamentalist] in its original sense. I think that you are back-peddling.

No, the fact is that I don't like Evangelicals, or Fundamentalists, they being one and the same in American usage. I don't like what their political dominance in the US has done to my country. I am resisting as stoutly as possible their attempts to take over my church. I will attempt to represent their views correctly, but I don't at all like them.

quote:
Biblical inerrancy does not - of necessity - require a young earth creationist perspective. I hold strongly to biblical inerrancy; I do not hold to young earth creationism.

Well, that's interesting. You would not be considered a Christian in my part of the country, where the choice is between Christianity and Creationism, or "Darwinism" and atheism. Yes, I know it's a false choice, but I'm one of the few in my part of the country who is aware of this.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
[qb] No, the fact is that I don't like Evangelicals, or Fundamentalists, they being one and the same in American usage. I will attempt to represent their views correctly, but I don't at all like them.

That much is plain!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Reply to Grammatica's post above)

Sheesh, what a thing to say! 'You don't agree with us politically so you're not welcome to worship with us here, chum.' Guess that was one parable of Christ's didn't make the edit, then?

It would be reassuring to hear from any other TEC evangelicals out there who aren't happy at Grammatica being their official spokesman, or are you all happy with her representation of the entire membership of your Church?!

[ 22. June 2009, 14:01: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An American --any American -- will expect a self-described "Evangelical Christian" to hold to all of the "Fundamentals," to be politically right-wing, to support Israel and oppose the teaching of evolution in public schools. The belief system of Evangelicals in the US comes as a complete package, and doubt as to any of its points leads to abandonment of the whole belief system. (I have watched this happen.) Despite a few wistful attempts to the contrary, there is no such thing in the United States as a left-leaning Evangelical movement. It simply doesn't happen.

I hope this clears up my own use of the term sufficiently. You may need to understand that use of the term "Evangelical" to describe a person will means, to an American, that the individual so described accepts the "Four Fundamentals," including Biblical inerrancy and all that follows from it.

As a British-American person, I understand your use of the word 'evangelical'.

I also feel that you are insisting on applying your American definitions of 'evangelical' to British evangelicalism and that you are ignoring many and repeated protests on this thread that Evangelicalism in Britain is not the same as Evangelicalism in the US.

The text from +Pete's post that you edited were not, I believe[1] his own views, but his understanding of the theologically right-wing fringe. A group of people who probably do hold many of the views you attribute to the American word 'evangelical'. A group of people who also don't represent the views of the many, many (possibly the majority) British evangelicals. It is always beneficial to try to understand the views of people who one does not agree with and that's what I believe[1] +Pete was trying to do. Instead, you attributed those ideas to him and now you are insisting on attributing them to British Evangelicals in general.

It's certainly legitimate for you to express your views on US evangelicalism. It's not really legitimate to tell a British Evangelical 'No, you don't believe what you're telling me you believe.'

[1] I realise I'm taking some risk in speaking for someone else but I also post in the knowledge that +Pete won't hesitate to correct me. My assumptions come from the fact that his views are well-known by many people here and I doubt he thought someone would assume that he held views akin to the Principal of Southern Baptist Seminary.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

No, it's about the reasons C of E parishes should join FOCA/GAFCON. These reasons were a set of accusations against the Episcopal Church in the United States, repeated by Bishop Pete, that were slanderous, distorted, slanted, and false.

I pointed out that fact. Ender's Shadow replied with a different set of accusations. No evidence has been offered for any of this.

To date, none of the accusations against the Episcopal Church repeated here have been substantiated. So now you want to make the discussion about your own sense of victimhood?

Let me repeat: the accusations against the Episcopal Church are false, slanderous and misleading. Evangelicals on this board are having a very hard time digesting that fact, it seems.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grammatica, the original insult was yours, against Pete. All the ECUSA stuff that came up afterwards has been people defending themselves against your allegations. Therefore, the burden of proof still lies on you. As somebody who has harked back to the medieval Catholic church and to Sir Thomas Browne to make a claim on Christian orthodoxy, rather than the Bible or at very least the church fathers, you haven't done much to convince me that your word counts as strong evidence. Your dismissal of any such thing as a leftist evangelical in the US (try googling "Jim Wallis", "Shane Claibourne" and "Sojourners Trust" for starters) doesn't inspire me as to your grip on Christian politics, either.

As has been said before, a big criticism of ECUSA is that a lot of Episcopalians (Ones I've conversed with, as well as what I've heard over the media ether) seem to think that they get to define what an Anglican is, and the rest of the world are either backwards-minded or don't matter. Consequently, when they try defending their practices as normal, the 'defences' only accentuate the differences! You're not helping that perception.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
(Reply to Grammatica's post above)

Sheesh, what a thing to say! 'You don't agree with us politically so you're not welcome to worship with us here, chum.' Guess that was one parable of Christ's didn't make the edit, then?

It would be reassuring to hear from any other TEC evangelicals out there who aren't happy at Grammatica being their official spokesman, or are you all happy with her representation of the entire membership of your Church?!

Anselmina, I am not speaking of TEC evangelicals. Please, re-read my posts. "Evangelical" in the United States means, primarily, the Southern Baptist Convention. The non-denominational "megachurches" are also included.

Now do you want evidence that these churches are members of the American Religious Right? What exactly are you asking for? You may not be willfully misunderstanding what I am writing in hopes of squelching it, but you are certainly acting as if you were.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
quote:

No, it's about the reasons C of E parishes should join FOCA/GAFCON. These reasons were a set of accusations against the Episcopal Church in the United States, repeated by Bishop Pete, that were slanderous, distorted, slanted, and false.

I pointed out that fact. Ender's Shadow replied with a different set of accusations. No evidence has been offered for any of this.

To date, none of the accusations against the Episcopal Church repeated here have been substantiated. So now you want to make the discussion about your own sense of victimhood?

Let me repeat: the accusations against the Episcopal Church are false, slanderous and misleading. Evangelicals on this board are having a very hard time digesting that fact, it seems.

So, are you claiming, for example, that TEC clergy don't bless same-sex unions? Or that TEC didn't go ahead and consecrate Gene Robinson despite being warned that to do so would put them out of step with the Anglican Communion?

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
Grammatica, the original insult was yours, against Pete. All the ECUSA stuff that came up afterwards has been people defending themselves against your allegations.

No. Bishop Pete repeated allegations against the Episcopal Church that were false, slanderous, and misleading. I corrected them. As I said earlier, it does seem the Evangelicals posting here would rather believe the slanders against the Episcopal Church. Why? Does it give you pleasure to judge and condemn us?

"Defending yourselves?" I write about the American Evangelicals, who are best represented by the Southern Baptist Convention. You say: "But we aren't like that." Well, all right, but give me leave to know something about my own neighbors and my own religious situation. No, apparently, it isn't like yours, but when you call yourself "Evangelicals," please try to remember that the word has a different meaning across the pond.

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The blessing of same-sex unions by TEC clergy are infrequent and unofficial. Although hard statistics seem difficult to find it seems to be rarer than the blessing of same-sex unions in the C of E.

That, at any rate, seems to be the belief of most gay Christians in the US.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:
quote:

So, are you claiming, for example, that TEC clergy don't bless same-sex unions? Or that TEC didn't go ahead and consecrate Gene Robinson despite being warned that to do so would put them out of step with the Anglican Communion?
Well, Matt, so it's back to the nasty, nasty gays again, is it? I ask again, when in church history did heterosexual intercourse within marriage become the primary sacrament? You would exclude all those of age to marry who don't practice it from your church? That's the description of a fertility cult.
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Matt, everything is always about the US.

Even when it's a question about two different groups within the Church of England.

Get with the programme and repeat after me:

Everything is always about the US

[brick wall]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While there are serious questions worthy of discussion in this thread, there is also far too much nasty yelling for my liking.

I sat through a challenging and painful sermon about unity this weekend, drawn from Psalm 133 among other things.

Part of what made it so challenging and painful was that it made clear to me that nasty yelling is not the solution, no matter how much I WANT to engage in nasty yelling at people who have made me feel like an outcast in my own church.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Thanks for that!

So, Grammatica, do they or don't they? Yes or no?

[cp with Seeker963]

[ 22. June 2009, 14:29: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Thanks for that!

So, Grammatica, do they or don't they? Yes or no?

[cp with Seeker963]

Organ Builder above gave a sufficient reply.

Whether or not you choose to believe him is another question. I can't help you with that.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
The allegations against ECUSA are very simple - they have chosen to endorse same sex sexual relationships in the clergy including the episcopate. They have also endorsed communion for the unbaptised and apologised for evangelising Hindus. All these acts contradict the stance of the rest of Anglican communion as expressed in the Lambeth Conference resolutions or the ancient traditions of the church. In acting in this way ECUSA has demonstrated that it is a community led and dominated by apostates (Bishop Spong remains a member of the House of Bishops in good standing).

1) There is no doubt as to the guilt of ECUSA on the headline issue of gay relationships; the decision of GC not to prevent the consecration of Gene Robinson leaves no confusion about that.
2) Spong's theses, for which he has not been disciplined and despite which he remains a member of the House of Bishops are clearly apostate - see here
3) The story of the visit of the Hindus is 'merely' the action of a bishop who 'apologised for attempts to convert them' - see here though the story of whether they were given consecrated bread seems confused according to the Church Times

There is a duty on the church's leadership to do something about people within its ranks who act in a way contrary to the gospel. The latter two situations by members of the episcopate have not been rebuked, whilst ++JKS has no hesitation in disciplining those who cross the red line of institutional disorder.

Let's remember that most of the epistles are written to churches that were getting it wrong and needed to be corrected. The tolerance of substandard behaviour is not a Christian virtue - at least according to the record of the New Testament. I therefore remain committed to my frog boiling metaphor; that's what's happened with ECUSA and it's time the frogs got out - which is why the Third Province is being established.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

I can see English/ Irish Evangelicals are moving into a very challenging time all the way around. Some of you will join FOCA/GAFCON, others will not. That will be schism. The pretext for this schism will be the alleged apostacy of the American churches (TEC and Canada).

Now if I say to you, on the eve of your own schism, "Don't believe everything you've heard about TEC," you might be able to avoid your own schism. If you were willing to investigate the truth of the allegations against TEC, that is.

But this would come at a price. You would discover that many of the things you've heard about Those Awful Americans aren't true. You might lose faith in some of your leaders who have repeated, or generated, those falsehoods. There might be other consequences. There will be some pain.

To those of you who are unwilling to undergo this pain, all I can say is: In that case, enjoy your schism!

I have done what I could do to try to prevent it. He who has ears....

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, whether or not some of these things ARE in fact 'contrary to the gospel' is rather central to some of the viewpoints in this whole debate.

There was one thing I found truly offensive about the statement issued by GAFCON. It was that, in its very polite and flowery language it didn't just say "we believe X". It said "anyone who DOESN'T believe X is a heretic".

And it said that about things where I have changed my own views not on a whim, but after much agonising and a careful consideration of Scripture.

That is what is particularly painful here - not a difference of opinion, but a refusal to acknowledge that a different opinion might be honestly and sincerely held.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are you so concerned about what some loonie does in an insignificant little church in the US when you live in Manchester?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

To my mind, it is TEC who have taken the first steps towards schism. By openly defying the rest of the Communion, they are in the process of removing themselves from that Communion. Now, if that's what they want to do, having weighed up all the pros and cons, then I guess that's fine if a little sad. But they shouldn't expect if they thumb the nose at the rest of the Communion that the likes of FCA do not arise to likewise thumb the nose back. Now, Grammatica, if you have evidence that TEC did not so unilaterally act and that it's not as bad as it is thus painted, now's the time to produce it...

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also suggest to ES that a grain of salt might be useful with some of things she hears about the US church.

After all, as much as I love reading Augustus Carp I do not automatically assume that all English Evangelical churches are like St. James the Least of All--or that all English Evangelicals are like the good Augustus.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
To my mind, it is TEC who have taken the first steps towards schism. By openly defying the rest of the Communion, they are in the process of removing themselves from that Communion. Now, if that's what they want to do, having weighed up all the pros and cons, then I guess that's fine if a little sad. But they shouldn't expect if they thumb the nose at the rest of the Communion that the likes of FCA do not arise to likewise thumb the nose back. Now, Grammatica, if you have evidence that TEC did not so unilaterally act and that it's not as bad as it is thus painted, now's the time to produce it...

I do, Matt. The Windsor Report and the reports of the Anglican Consultative Council and the Windsor Continuation Group, none of which have found that TEC has removed itself from the Anglican Communion. Further evidence is to be found in General Convention 2006's passing of B033, confirming that TEC will abide by the Communion-wide ban on the ordination of openly gay or lesbian bishops, as the Windsor Report requested it to do.
orfeo

# 13878

Does anyone ever think about how Gene Robinson must feel about all this?

Here is a man who follows what he believes (whether rightly or wrongly) is a call from God. Who is prepared to be celibate to follow that call. Who wears a bullet-proof vest to take up that call. And who watches the church fall apart around him.

I mean, *I* find it hard enough not to take the existence of GAFCON personally. Just imagine the struggle Gene Robinson has to go through day after day.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Who is prepared to be celibate to follow that call.

Not wanting to go into the too-much-information corridor but are you not confusing him with Jeffrey John?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

So, again, where is the evidence?

[reply to Organ Builder]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
quote:

I do, Matt. The Windsor Report and the reports of the Anglican Consultative Council and the Windsor Continuation Group, none of which have found that TEC has removed itself from the Anglican Communion. Further evidence is to be found in General Convention 2006's passing of B033, confirming that TEC will abide by the Communion-wide ban on the ordination of openly gay or lesbian bishops, as the Windsor Report requested it to do.
So, does that truly mean that there won't be another +Gene Robinson?

Orfeo, I think you'll find that +VGR by his own admission is not celibate...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Who is prepared to be celibate to follow that call.

Not wanting to go into the too-much-information corridor but are you not confusing him with Jeffrey John?

Thurible

Possibly.

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I would also suggest to ES that a grain of salt might be useful with some of things she hears about the US church.

After all, as much as I love reading Augustus Carp I do not automatically assume that all English Evangelical churches are like St. James the Least of All--or that all English Evangelicals are like the good Augustus.

No - note that I've focused on the actions of BISHOPS, not priests in this debate, and as you can see they are sourced from neutral or hostile territory.
I note that Grammatica has not challenged my evidence - just changed grounds for the defence...

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:
quote:

So, does that truly mean that there won't be another +Gene Robinson?
Matt, what more are you looking for?

Of course, whatever TEC and the rest do, it would still be possible for you to say: "it seems to me that TEC is apostate" or "schismatic" or "removing itself from the Communion." That statement will be true if it seems to you that TEC is apostate [etc], whatever the facts of the case may be.

Here is an analogous case. The statement "I believe pigs can fly and do advanced algebra" is true as long as I believe it. However, though I may believe, passionately, that pigs can fly and do advanced algebra, in fact, it is the case that they cannot.

Let us suppose that facts about the actual capacities of pigs are brought to my attention. At this juncture, I have a choice. I may not wish to give up my passionate belief about the pigs. In that case, I may choose to override any and all evidence to the contrary, so I can retain my passionate belief. This is irrational, and will lead to trouble for me, but I can choose to do it.

Matt, you believe, very strongly, in the condign wickedness and apostacy of TEC. Are you sure you aren't overriding the facts to the contrary, in order to retain your passionate beliefs?

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
No - note that I've focused on the actions of BISHOPS, not priests in this debate, and as you can see they are sourced from neutral or hostile territory.
I note that Grammatica has not challenged my evidence - just changed grounds for the defence...

Let's have your evidence, then. Which bishops? When? Quote their pastoral letters, please. What are your sources? You gave none. That's not shifting the grounds, just asking you for your evidence. Apostacy and heresy are heavy charges; you ought to offer proof for them before you make them. It is not for me to prove to you that I am not a heretic; it is for you to prove to me that I am.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I was looking for evidence of repentance by TEC; it sounds to be that B033 may well be it...so thank you for enlightening me on that one.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
I don't disagree at all with your characterization of the Bishop of Durham. [...] It is also worth noting that the kind of equation he drew (if I recall correctly) between TEC's ordination of Bishop Robinson and Dubya's foreign policy just wouldn't be drawn by American critics of TEC. The rhetoric about "neo-colonialism" and "imperialism," etc. is coming from outside of the United States, since the American TEC dissidents, being politically right-wing, just don't use this kind of language. "Neo-colonialism" is something left wing American eggheads and Ugandan bishops talk about!

Well obviously this language is "coming from outside of the United States" because it was about how people outside the US see the US.

Anyway, CofE evangelicals probably have a lot more to do with Ugandan bishops than with American ones. There are a lot more Anglican churchgoers in Uganda than there are in either England or the USA, most of them are evvenglical, and we have a history of very close relations with them, through partly through our evangelical missionary societes, partly threough the theological colleges. Which probably won't mean much to most of the people in the pew, but might be quite important for Anglican evangelical priests and bishops and so on.

There are a lot more Ugandans in our pews than Americans. And more Nigerians than either. The missionary efforts of the last three centuries, going all the way back to anti-slavery campaigns and beyond, have left UK evanglicalism (Anglican ond otherwise) with a quite strong feeling of connection with or concern for African Christianity, which can be patronising and sentimental at times, but can also produce a certain sense of identity.

Which I guess means I think Pete got it write when he wrote

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Of course, some of the main protagonists in Reform and elsewhere would like to provoke a rumble with their diocesan bishop or with Rowan, or both. But that's not basically where the average evangelical Anglican parish is coming from. They just want to get on with the job of worship and mission; they have mission links with African churches who are part of all this; all the people with whom they identify are on the FCA side of the fence - so, they think "let's give them some support".

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty
Biblical inerrancy does not - of necessity - require a young earth creationist perspective. I hold strongly to biblical inerrancy; I do not hold to young earth creationism.

Hear hear!

quote:
The problem must be that you are speaking of "fundamentalism" as the swear word it became, and I'm speaking of "fundamentalism" in its original use, as a self-definition. We owe the term to a late nineteenth-century movement of Christians opposed to critical Biblical scholarship and other liberalizing tendencies. They met and called for a return to the "Four Fundamentals" of Christianity.

Actually they had ten or twelve points, not four. I can't remember which they were offhand. All (or almost all) of them were things that most Christian denominations officially accept, including the Roman Catholics & Orthodox.

quote:

It is true that most who subscribe to these beliefs would no longer call themselves "Fundamentalists" but "Evangelical Christians" or simply "Christians." Sometimes they call themselves "Bible-based" or "Bible-believing Christians."

Personally I'd be happy to be called any of those things.

quote:

Belief in Biblical inerrancy leads, logically, to Young Earth Creationism, for example.

No it doesn't. All the authors of the original books on the "Fundamentals" were old-earth creationists and about half of them accepted evolution. As late as the 1950s and 1960s the YECcies werer trying hard to convert the Fundamentalists to their point of view.

quote:

The submission of women to their husbands is "Biblical" according to the Southern Baptist Convention. Yes, they did pass an official resolution to that effect.

And not by many other evangelical churchs. There are large parts of the world - not just England and not just among Anglicans - where there are many ordained women and women preachers and pastors in evangelical churches. Lots of churches in East Africa and South East Asia for example. And Pentecostal/Charismatic churches have women preachers all over the place, even in the USA - and they probably make up more than half of evangelicals worldwide.

quote:

Strong and (in my view) uncritical support of the Israeli government is warranted by their reading and interpretation of certain prophetic texts.

Some, not others. The kind of people who are into arguing about prophecy argue about it all the time. Its probably great fun for them. Not all of them support the government of Israel. Some of them are nasty anti-semites who can't bear to. Some of them - small minority but they exist - are pro-Palestinian for other reasons. Some of them are even pacifists. Honestly, they do exist. Even in America.

quote:

Fundamentalist, or Evangelical, Christians in the US are best known by these consequences of their beliefs, and not the beliefs themselves.

But that really is a local anomaly of US evangelicalism. Or maybe even of mainstream American reaction to evangelicalism US. It does not apply worldwide.

quote:

An American - any American - will expect a self-described "Evangelical Christian" to hold to all of the "Fundamentals," to be politically right-wing, to support Israel and oppose the teaching of evolution in public schools.

If that is true then it proves that ignorance and bigotry are not limited to evangelicals.

quote:

Despite a few wistful attempts to the contrary, there is no such thing in the United States as a left-leaning Evangelical movement. It simply doesn't happen.

Well, it does, a little bit. Other people here have already mentioned some left-wing American evangelicals. I've even met a few. Heck, I've met left-wing Southern Baptist pastors, though maybe they don't count because both of them were drinking Guiness at the time. It wasn't that long ago you had one or two evangelical Presidents who werent' rabidly right-wing. OK, every President the USA has had in my lifetime has been right-wing, but some are less right-wing than others and I think you'd agree that Jimmy Carter fits in that group.

quote:

I hope this clears up my own use of the term sufficiently. You may need to understand that use of the term "Evangelical" to describe a person will means, to an American, that the individual so described accepts the "Four Fundamentals," including Biblical inerrancy and all that follows from it.

Even if that is true, and I am pretty sure it isn't if only because there were more than four fundamentals and it seems clear that you don't remember what they were so you can't conistently assert that all Americans will assume all Fundamentalists accept them; even if that is true, then it really is a local American problem and so nothing to do with the opening post of this thread which was people asking why some members of English evangelical organisation seemed to support people who supported GAFCON. And I think Pete answered that question pretty accurately.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jon G
Shipmate
# 4704

- Posted      Profile for Jon G   Email Jon G   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what...I couldn't give a toss about what's happening across the big pond.

May be I should, but I rather think there's enough to be getting on with over here.

Getting back to the point of the thread.

quote:
Doc Tor posted.
A minority of UK evangelicals are aligning with GAFCON for their own reasons: the rest of us are like 'WTF?'

So WTF is the General Director of a major Anglican mission organisation appearing to support FCS? A number of posters have argued pretty clearly that there are some pretty serious agendas being touted within the organisation concerning alternative forms of oversight.

It seems to me there's an issue here about what the Church of England is.
It's not just the biggest boat to fish out of, as some Evangelicals seem to think. We also have a claim to catholicity and a responsibility to serve and build up the Body of Christ in this country through the parochial system (flawed though that is).

My concern is that many church members, evangelical or otherwise are not concious of what is at stake here, and that leaders will use this to further their own aims.

--------------------
At the dark end of the street

Posts: 182 | From: Newcastle west | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
I was looking for evidence of repentance by TEC; it sounds to be that B033 may well be it...so thank you for enlightening me on that one.

Now that's interesting. I am surprised you didn't know about B033 -- passed, it must be admitted, with reluctance on the part of TEC's House of Deputies, but passed nonetheless at General Convention 2006. The Presiding Bishop has said she is not interested in revisiting this resolution at GC 2009. Though there may be clarifications of it, it will continue in effect.

I wonder how many other English Evangelicals are mediating schism in the absence of crucial information like this?

Full disclosure: TEC, in B033 and other statements, has officially and on record expressed the regret called for in the language of the Windsor Report. We are sorry (and yes, I personally am sorry) that we so disturbed the peace of the Communion.

We have not "repented" of ordaining +Gene Robinson, and many of us continue to believe it was the right thing to do. Many in the Church of England think so too. And in the Welsh, Irish, Canadian .... and other churches. Throughout the Communion, people are of several minds about +Gene's ordination. Some, within the English church as well, are for "full inclusion." Others regard gay people as under an especially heavy judgment. The debate continues (in Dead Horses, mostly).

But all that is, strictly speaking, beside the point. TEC was not called upon by the Communion to repent. GAFCON would like us to repent, but the Communion as a whole has not called for this. To demand this repentance Communion-wide would be to provoke a Communion-wide schism.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
quote:

Let's have your evidence, then. Which bishops? When? Quote their pastoral letters, please. What are your sources? You gave none. That's not shifting the grounds, just asking you for your evidence. Apostacy and heresy are heavy charges; you ought to offer proof for them before you make them. It is not for me to prove to you that I am not a heretic; it is for you to prove to me that I am.
Did you read my post above which provides evidence of the behaviour of the bishop of LA who was the source of quote about the Hindus here whilst Wikipedia is quoting Spong's theses - I'm afraid I can't find anything more authoritative... [Help] but to me these seem unchallenged.

--------------------

TheMightyMartyr
Shipmate
# 11162

- Posted      Profile for TheMightyMartyr   Email TheMightyMartyr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are my credentials in this: I am a member of the Diocese of New Westminster. I sit on Diocesan Council as Youth Delegate and have recently been appointed Lay Secretary of the Diocese.

So to the issue of CwoB, I know of at least 5 parishes within the Diocese who openly practice CwoB, including the Cathedral, and I have the leaflets to show it.

And to the issue of SSB's we have 8 parishes that currently have the approval of the Bishop to conduct them, with 6 others who have voted to do so as well. The blessings occur with a rite that is approved by the Bishop as well.

But as I'm not a member of PECUSA, I'm sure this won't matter to Grammatica...

--------------------
You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle if you do not pity Jesus in the slum.

Posts: 259 | From: the Land of Ingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
quote:

Now that's interesting. I am surprised you didn't know about B033 -- passed, it must be admitted, with reluctance on the part of TEC's House of Deputies, but passed nonetheless at General Convention 2006. The Presiding Bishop has said she is not interested in revisiting this resolution at GC 2009. Though there may be clarifications of it, it will continue in effect.

I wonder how many other English Evangelicals are mediating schism in the absence of crucial information like this?

Full disclosure: TEC, in B033 and other statements, has officially and on record expressed the regret called for in the language of the Windsor Report. We are sorry (and yes, I personally am sorry) that we so disturbed the peace of the Communion.

We have not "repented" of ordaining +Gene Robinson, and many of us continue to believe it was the right thing to do. Many in the Church of England think so too. And in the Welsh, Irish, Canadian .... and other churches. Throughout the Communion, people are of several minds about +Gene's ordination. Some, within the English church as well, are for "full inclusion." Others regard gay people as under an especially heavy judgment. The debate continues (in Dead Horses, mostly).

But all that is, strictly speaking, beside the point. TEC was not called upon by the Communion to repent. GAFCON would like us to repent, but the Communion as a whole has not called for this. To demand this repentance Communion-wide would be to provoke a Communion-wide schism.

It may surprise you to learn this, but I for one do not want +VGR to resign, partly because what's done is done (IMO) but mainly because I hope I'm not a vindictive sort of bastard...

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:
quote:

Did you read my post above which provides evidence of the behaviour of the bishop of LA who was the source of quote about the Hindus here whilst Wikipedia is quoting Spong's theses - I'm afraid I can't find anything more authoritative... [Help] but to me these seem unchallenged.
And no doubt they will go on seeming to you to be unchallenged. A little research would reveal that Bishop Spong is hardly typical of the American church. He is frequently challenged. And in any case he is now retired.

Gee, should we schism because of the "Red Dean" of Canterbury? How about the Archbishop of York who denied the Virgin Birth? Guess that makes the whole Church of England apostate, right?

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyMartyr:
Here are my credentials in this: I am a member of the Diocese of New Westminster. I sit on Diocesan Council as Youth Delegate and have recently been appointed Lay Secretary of the Diocese.

So to the issue of CwoB, I know of at least 5 parishes within the Diocese who openly practice CwoB, including the Cathedral, and I have the leaflets to show it.

And to the issue of SSB's we have 8 parishes that currently have the approval of the Bishop to conduct them, with 6 others who have voted to do so as well. The blessings occur with a rite that is approved by the Bishop as well.

New Westminster is a Canadian diocese. It is not clear to me why any actions on the part of a Canadian diocese call for the Episcopal Church of the United States to be expelled from the Anglican Communion. Please clarify.

And one more question: Are you a member of the ACNA schismatic group that calls itself New Westminster? Or of the Diocese of New Westminster?

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Except that we are taking about the Church of England here.

No, Matt Black, we are talking about the allegations of apostacy leveled by Evangelicals against the American Episcopal Church.

Now if your lot of Evangelicals and my lot of Evangelicals disagree politically, fine, although I can assure you that your lot would not be welcome in any Evangelical gathering in my region, not with those political views.

This may be true, to a degree. Anglican Conservative Evangelicalism of the Reformed kind is non-dispensational and does not recognise the political nation state of Israel as synonymous with OT Israel.

Many are also surprised that American traditions like Halloween are frowned upon by British Evangelicals.

They are also surprised that biblical literacy is so high among British Evangelicals; much higher than in the States.

They are also surprised that British Evangelicalism does not dabble too deeply in party politics.

They are also pleasantly surprised by the academic rigor of evangelical theological education and the level ecclesiastical influence of evangelicals have within the Church of England.

I say pleasantly surprised because, quite frankly, they do find themselves being oppressed by the ruling revisionist elite that is busy embarking on wholesale apostacy in their own church.

The fact that Episcopalian Evangelicals are coming to Britain for their ordination training is good news for you in one or two respects. Firstly, it should help them differentiate between the gospel and politics. Secondly, it should help them realise that intellectually credible theology is vital for the health of the church.

It will be bad news for you in at least one respect. It will encourage them not to let the apostate leadership of TEC under KJS from intimidating, bullying, oppressing or otherwise shutting them up.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
And no doubt they will go on seeming to you to be unchallenged. A little research would reveal that Bishop Spong is hardly typical of the American church. He is frequently challenged. And in any case he is now retired.

Gee, should we schism because of the "Red Dean" of Canterbury? How about the Archbishop of York who denied the Virgin Birth? Guess that makes the whole Church of England apostate, right?

1) There is a fundamental difference between 'going unchallenged' and being formally removed from his seat in the House of Bishops, which he retains after his retirement. So no, he is not out of the picture, and the failure lies in the church's absence of response to him.

2) I assume you are talking about Jenkins, bishop of Durham. As anyone who knows the story well, it is far more nuanced than a simple denial; certainly not a list of issues where he is radically at odds with the entire Christian tradition.

3) As to the 'Red Dean' - I repeat: I am focusing on bishops here.

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
It may surprise you to learn this, but I for one do not want +VGR to resign, partly because what's done is done (IMO) but mainly because I hope I'm not a vindictive sort of bastard...

I'm actually very gratified to hear it. For my part, though I support full inclusion, I wish the Episcopal Church had set about it differently. My own solution would have been for +Gene to accept his election but postpone his consecration until the rest of the churches in the Communion could be brought to accept, in some fashion, that indeed New Hampshire wanted him as their bishop. No doubt he could have acted as bishop de facto in some way without becoming bishop de jure.

I agree: "What's done is done," and unless schism within the Church of England and Communion-wide looks like a good alternative, we may just have to find some way of living with one another from here on in.

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:

1) There is a fundamental difference between 'going unchallenged' and being formally removed from his seat in the House of Bishops, which he retains after his retirement. So no, he is not out of the picture, and the failure lies in the church's absence of response to him.

2) I assume you are talking about Jenkins, bishop of Durham. As anyone who knows the story well, it is far more nuanced than a simple denial; certainly not a list of issues where he is radically at odds with the entire Christian tradition.

3) As to the 'Red Dean' - I repeat: I am focusing on bishops here.

And you have named ONE bishop, now retired.

All I can say is that I am sorry you do not live in the US, where there are any number of Protestant denominations that practice exactly the sort of discipline you are calling for. You could belong to any one of dozens, all of which regularly excommunicate one another.

But isn't there a saying about "cleaning up your own backyard first"? If, as you admit, there are what you would call abuses in your own church, why not reform it? Why focus on TEC?

TheMightyMartyr
Shipmate
# 11162

- Posted      Profile for TheMightyMartyr   Email TheMightyMartyr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

New Westminster is a Canadian diocese. It is not clear to me why any actions on the part of a Canadian diocese call for the Episcopal Church of the United States to be expelled from the Anglican Communion. Please clarify.

And one more question: Are you a member of the ACNA schismatic group that calls itself New Westminster? Or of the Diocese of New Westminster?

I am a member of the Diocese of New Westminster, though I grieve for the seperation that has occured within our Diocese. I'm not calling for our or the PECUSA' expulsion from the AC but to deny these things occur and do provide for strife within the Church is ridiculous.

--------------------
You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle if you do not pity Jesus in the slum.

Posts: 259 | From: the Land of Ingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can see English/ Irish Evangelicals are moving into a very challenging time all the way around. Some of you will join FOCA/GAFCON, others will not. That will be schism. The pretext for this schism will be the alleged apostacy of the American churches (TEC and Canada).

Now if I say to you, on the eve of your own schism, "Don't believe everything you've heard about TEC," you might be able to avoid your own schism. If you were willing to investigate the truth of the allegations against TEC, that is.

But this would come at a price. You would discover that many of the things you've heard about Those Awful Americans aren't true. You might lose faith in some of your leaders who have repeated, or generated, those falsehoods. There might be other consequences. There will be some pain.

To those of you who are unwilling to undergo this pain, all I can say is: In that case, enjoy your schism!

I have done what I could do to try to prevent it. He who has ears....

It is certainly a painful process to listen to those who you feel personally hurt by, to recognise them as fellow humans, and to be prepared to learn that the truth about them is less black-and-white than you had been told, the people perhaps even acting for good motives, and who are also hurt by the actions of those on 'your' side.

The problem with the GAFCON debate, and with the difficulties of TEC, seems to be that both sides are not prepared to take this approach with the other, preferring to misrepresent and demonise rather than to understand and communicate.

You seem to be addressing your plea for understanding of TEC to UK evangelicals. Would you advocate that the left wing of the C of E do the same for the right-wingers in the US church? This is irrespective of the issues involved; should we be seeking to understand our 'opponents' or should we just be taking sides?

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
It is certainly a painful process to listen to those who you feel personally hurt by, to recognise them as fellow humans, and to be prepared to learn that the truth about them is less black-and-white than you had been told, the people perhaps even acting for good motives, and who are also hurt by the actions of those on 'your' side.

The problem with the GAFCON debate, and with the difficulties of TEC, seems to be that both sides are not prepared to take this approach with the other, preferring to misrepresent and demonise rather than to understand and communicate.

You seem to be addressing your plea for understanding of TEC to UK evangelicals. Would you advocate that the left wing of the C of E do the same for the right-wingers in the US church? This is irrespective of the issues involved; should we be seeking to understand our 'opponents' or should we just be taking sides?

- Chris.

Yes, I would. I hadn't thought of it, but I think it's an excellent idea. All sides need to come to understand one another better if schism is to be avoided.
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am a member of the Diocese of New Westminster, though I grieve for the seperation that has occured within our Diocese. I'm not calling for our or the PECUSA' expulsion from the AC but to deny these things occur and do provide for strife within the Church is ridiculous.
In your opinion, do they rise to a level that necessitates schism, assuming that the Bishop of New Westminster is not disciplined or deprived of his orders for permitting them?
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

And Chris/sanityman, just to clarify:

I am not asking for "understanding" of TEC or the Anglican Church of Canada.

I do want so see the slanders and misrepresentations of TEC be corrected by factual and accurate information.

This is about facts, not empathy or understanding. Subjectively, people may believe anything they wish. If the content of their belief is not in accordance with the facts, if it is a twisted or slanted misrepresentation of the facts, then the content of their belief is objectively false. If the content of their belief is objectively false, then they ought to give it up.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

An ignorant Limey asks: what's CwoB?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016