homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: "SPCK" bookshops (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: "SPCK" bookshops
Matt Wardman
Apprentice
# 13268

- Posted      Profile for Matt Wardman   Author's homepage   Email Matt Wardman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

What I mean is, a "cease and desist letter" is not the same as a "cease and desist order". A letter is a letter -- it has no legal import of any kind. An "order" comes from a court and has legal weight.

I'd agree there. The problem is that people have too much respect for lawyers. Another problem is that the Faith encourages too much respect to be given to bits of the law that arguably don't deserve it.

A "Cease and Desist" letter may be just as full of fantasy and falsehoods as any other letter written by anybody else (say to the Daily Mail) - it's just that they have paid a lawyer to put it on a letterhead and possibly to make it sound ominous. As it is a private letter it can also be defamatory itself with no downside.

The thing to judge is a) is what I have said true and b) what is this person writing this letter playing at, what are their motives and how serious are they?

If a publication is true, then any C&D is a paper tiger apart from the "bludgeon you with legal fees" angle.

Unfortunately Mr B copied one of his to the media without a "do not publish" rider ;-) - I kid you not. More on Monday.

I've written a long comment about the need to debunk Cease and Desist letters over at the Tall Skinny Kiwi, which I would like repost here - but it is LONG so I thought I'd better ask first.

Here:
http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com/tallskinnykiwi/2008/07/avoiding-blog-l.html

Rgds

Matt

[Fixed code. Welcome on board -- if you need to check out how to work UBB code, there's a thread in Styx made just for you. - J]

[ 05. August 2008, 01:26: Message edited by: John Holding ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Sorry, ken, you're misunderstanding me. What I mean is, a "cease and desist letter" is not the same as a "cease and desist order". A letter is a letter -- it has no legal import of any kind. An "order"comes from a court and has legal weight.

I understand that but what I was saying is that people sometimes get into the habit of being cautious, take down first and think afterwards. And that is understandable.

Maybe I'm thinking as a service provider rather than as a user here.

And its different in different jurisdictions. Libel law is just so much harsher here, you have to be more careful. In the USA other things cause problems.

Look how careful the Ship is on any problems with copyright law - almost certainly over-cautious by the standards of our law in England. Admins pull things written centuries ago, or that have been freely copied all over the place. Not because they believe them to be copyright violations but because they do not have the time to work out whether they are or not and the downside of getting it wrong is so large its not worth the risk.

Same here. Maybe Dave, or his ISP, simply do not have the skills or the time to tell a credible threat from a spurious one.

(I don't expect lawyers and ISPs to be great cartoonists.)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some news from Norwich.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great news, Barnabas!

This week's Private Eye has picked up on Dave's case in some detail, having previously run a short paragraph or two about the takeover. Nothing we don't already know in the report, but it's good to know that it's being noticed, especially by a notoriously tenacious organ.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News update: SSG application for bankrupty in Houston dismissed with prejudice.

This hopefully means that SSG will have to be held to account in the UK, where the case really belongs. Strike one for justice... what will happen next?

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, well - perhaps there are some assets out there to pay some of the creditors - including the claims of staff, their pension and NI contributions, not to say suppliers ... now we have to add the film rights for an out-of-this-world comedy, and the spin-off management manuals. Has Dilbert ever worked in a bookshop?

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Wardman
Apprentice
# 13268

- Posted      Profile for Matt Wardman   Author's homepage   Email Matt Wardman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick note.

We have an article up about a new petition that we launched yesterday quietly.

The article is here:

http://spckssg.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/rescuing-chichesters-christian-bookshop-new-petition-launched/

The petition is here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/chichesterchristianbookshop/index.html

The objective is to try and persuade the Diocese of Chichester, who are the landlords of the Chichester Shop to take some action, and also to achieve some local and national publicity.

There is more information about reasons why on the petition itself and the article.

The full text is below:

"We, the undersigned, call upon the Bishop of Chichester and the Diocese of Chichester to rescue this once outstanding bookshop, previously part of the SPCK chain, from the control of Philip and Mark Brewer and their changing series of organisations (St Stephen the Great Charitable Trust / St Stephen the Great Limited and now Chichester Shop Management Co).

The Brewers took control of this bookshop, of the entire SPCK Bookshop chain, with fine sounding words, but actions always speak louder than words: the former Chichester SPCK Bookshop is now but a shadow of its former self. Due to the failure of the Brewers to honour invoices for goods received, suppliers have been left high and dry at a time of recession; and the shelves stood empty until recently when stock was brought in from the former SPCK shop in Norwich, which has now been rescued by the local community in Norwich.

St Olave's in Chichester has a claim to be the oldest building in the city, yet is in a desperate state of repair. It was set up through covenant to provide information for the community, yet advertising anything that Philip Brewer considers contrary to the so-called 'Orthodox' aims of the charity is banned. Mark Brewer has claimed ownership of St Olave's Church and has announced plans to turn it into an Orthodox place of worship. These men have abused staff, treated covenants and UK employment law with contempt, disregarded debts to their suppliers, fabricated a bankruptcy filing in the USA Courts and blatantly bullied anyone who has stood in their way: it ill-behoves the Diocese of Chichester to play host to them and their presence here casts a shadow over the mission of the wider church.

Enough is enough: we urge you to take decisive action now to rescue this shop and St Olave's Church from further depredation. We call upon you to step in, and to remove these men who are bringing Chichester's Christian heritage into disarray and disrepute. We urge you, please: take back control of this building. It would be better for the shop to be closed than allowed to carry on in its current state. Then, as we see happening elsewhere around the country, people will be free to work together to create something new and bring light to this community."

It will be submitted to the Bp of Chichester every multiple of 50 sigs.

Rgds

Matt Wardman
www.mattwardman.com

Matt Wardman
Apprentice
# 13268

Further Update:

There is a formal charity commission enquiry in progress:

http://spckssg.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/charity-commission-replies-formal-inquiry-in-progress/

" Charity Commission Direct
PO Box 1227, Liverpool L69 3UG

t: 020 7674 2492
f: 020 7674 2301

Your Ref:
Our Ref: WTF 1119839/685451 C & S Ldn

Date: 13 November 2008

Dear Mr Groom

St Stephen the Great Charitable Trust (the Trust) and St Stephen the Great (The Company) (1119839)

Thank you for your email dated the 27 October about the above charities. I confirm that concerns have already been raised with the Commission relating to governance and internal financial controls at the Trust and the Company.

We have therefore contacted the trustees to clarify the situation with regard to some of the points raised. On the basis both of the initial concerns raised with the Commission and of the information provided by the charity in response, on 26 September 2008 we opened a formal inquiry under section 8 of the Charities Act 1993.

Because this inquiry remains open and ongoing I will not be in a position to go into further detail at this time, but we would normally look to make a report available once the inquiry was concluded.

Nevertheless, I have noted your concerns but would like to mention that some of these fall outside the remit of the Commission.

Any concerns regarding gift aid should be referred to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs which is the organisation with the necessary expertise to deal with such matters. Furthermore, the Commission cannot get involved in employment matters.

I hope the above is clear.

Yours sincerely

William Thomas Fahey"

Matt

Matt Wardman
Apprentice
# 13268

And another one: fraud on the Court.

J Mark Brewer was found guilty of "fraud on the South Texas Bankruptcy Court" for an attempt to take the Society of Saint Stephen the Great into bankruptcy there.

"UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT, SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS, HOUSTON DIVISION

IN RE: ST STEPHENS THE GREAT, LLC,
Case No. 08-33689-H1-7

Debtor. ORDER

The Court has considered the Motion For Sanctions filed by Randy W. Williams, chapter 7 trustee (the "Trustee"). The Court finds that Mark Brewer and the firm of Brewer & Pritchard, P.C. acted in bad faith and committed fraud on the Court by filing the above referenced and numbered bankruptcy case. The filing of the case constituted a willful and deliberate attempt to delay and hinder creditors with claims against Mr. Brewer, ENC Management Company and St. Stephen the Great Registered Charity. The Court also finds that Mark Brewer and the firm of Brewer & Pritchard, P.C. violated their duty of candor to the Court as well as other provisions of the Texas Disciplinary Rules by attempting to prosecute this case based on intentional and misleading omissions and intentional and misleading statements of fact. Based on the foregoing, the Court finds that sanctions should be imposed under the inherent power of this Court, 11 U.S.C. § 105 and 28 U.S.C. § 1927."

"THE HONORABLE MARVIN ISGUR, UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY JUDGE"

Case 08-33689-H1-7.

http://spckssg.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/sanctions-proposed-order.pdf

Matt Wardman

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Brewers are to be chucked out of Durham Cathedral ( see here and here)

[ 02. May 2009, 11:25: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
The Brewers are to be chucked out of Durham Cathedral ( see here and here)

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

(and [Razz] to the Brewers!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's hope that this leads to a renaissance of excellent (and profitable) Christian Bookselling in Durham, security of employment for staff and a chance for those of us who care about things to rejoice in hope.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further developments found here and here.

[replaced censor affected link with a bitly URL]

[ 10. May 2009, 21:11: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nightlamp, the first link got censored, I suspect it included the word c h u r c h, which is currently not allowed!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's right - just replace the asterisks with the missing letters.

When will they cease this childish censoring?

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further developments to be found here.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And yet further developments to be found here as one of the SSG directors files for "Chapter 13 Personal Reorganization".

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

- Posted      Profile for Laurie17   Email Laurie17   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss SPCK as both shops and publisher.

Iregret what its demise seem to indicate about what we are losing from English Christianity as extremeists push more moderate believers out, with their tolerance and rational commitment....

--------------------
when thee touched my heart
I were undone like dropped blossom
Daw'r ffordd yn glir yn araf deg.

Posts: 659 | From: off hand | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurie17:
I miss SPCK as both shops and publisher.

Iregret what its demise seem to indicate about what we are losing from English Christianity as extremeists push more moderate believers out, with their tolerance and rational commitment....

SPCK still publish books- they sold only off the shops.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although the SPCK shops have ceased to exist as we knew and loved them, there are lots of other Christian bookshops.

There may not be one in every town, but there are independant Christian Bookshops spread over the country as well as the Wesley Owen chain.

As Apothecary says, SPCK Publishing is still going strong and their books should be available either in stock or by special order, from any Christian bookshop.

Posts: 102 | From: Midlands UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Lilly Rose:
Although the SPCK shops have ceased to exist as we knew and loved them, there are lots of other Christian bookshops.

There may not be one in every town, but there are independant Christian Bookshops spread over the country as well as the Wesley Owen chain.

As Apothecary says, SPCK Publishing is still going strong and their books should be available either in stock or by special order, from any Christian bookshop.

And mail order using abebooks rather than A****n will help keep an independent in business. [Cool]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The advantage of going to Wesley Owen as opposed to ordering of the net is that you can see inside a book to check that it is worthwhile.

Also, Wesley Owen are keen to pick up more business and are not stocking a wider variety of authors. Hitherto, I didn't recognise any of the names of the authors they stocked.

Our local branch as a sort of hardcore theology section at the back.

fingerdoughnut
Shipmate
# 13822

- Posted      Profile for fingerdoughnut         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Ha! At Spring Harvest this year WO's so-called 'theology section' contained Benny Hinn and TD Jakes [brick wall]
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Well, that's Spring Harvest for you. You might find a better selection at Greenbelt at the end of this month.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo,

I'm wondering if there's a typo in your post, as it doesn't quite make sense.

You say 'Wesley Owen ........ are not stocking a wider variety of authors'

Should that read 'now' instead of 'not'? so that it says 'Wesley Owen ........ are now stocking a wider variety of authors'?

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Leo,

Should that read 'now' instead of 'not'? so that it says 'Wesley Owen ........ are now stocking a wider variety of authors'?

I serverly doubt that Wesley Owen are stocking a good selection of academic theology. I rather suspect, however, that the situation is as fingerdoughnut described it:

quote:
At Spring Harvest this year WO's so-called 'theology section' contained Benny Hinn and TD Jakes [brick wall]
The loss of SPCK was a serious blow and WO hardly fills the gap! My local branch seems to concentrate far more of Christian self-help books and copies of the KJV.

Living in London I am lucky enough to have Church House Bookshop and Harchards/Mowbray's in easy reach. However, the latter has become little more than an extended 'Mind/Body/Spirit' section of the store. SPCK also did academic theology and secondhand books, both of which are lacking in CHBp & Harchards/Mowbray's. [Waterworks]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
Living in London I am lucky enough to have Church House Bookshop and Harchards/Mowbray's in easy reach. However, the latter has become little more than an extended 'Mind/Body/Spirit' section of the store.

That's a bit unfair to Hatchard's/Mowbray's. I agree that it's not what it was in its glory days. In particular, it has much less (nearly no) space for semi-popular theology - The Christlike God level of Christian publishing. But I went in looking for the nominees for the latest Michael Ramsey Prize and they were all there, even though there was little or no attempt being made to promote them.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
quote:
Leo,

I serverly doubt that Wesley Owen are stocking a good selection of academic theology. I rather suspect, however, that the situation is as fingerdoughnut described it
Whoops - 'not' should read 'now'. However,I think it depends where you are. Several of us have been pushing our local branch and have succeeded.

The wider range of stock means it isn't all evangelical - there are books by Breuggeman, Wink and Countryman, for example.

I would not expect them to stock 'heavy' academic theology' as the university bookshop is nearby and carries stock on the booklists of the Theology Department.

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

All Christian bookshops will have restrictions of size and budget and so can't stock everything, but the independants should be able to get anything that's in print if it's ordered.

Does anyone know if Wesley Owen can get special orders for customers or are they tied in to central buying?

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All Christian bookshops will have restrictions of size and budget and so can't stock everything, but the independants should be able to get anything that's in print if it's ordered.

Does anyone know if Wesley Owen can get special orders for customers or are they tied in to central buying?

I know that St Andrew's Book Shops will special order.

I am blessed with having access to Blackwells in Oxford. They have a real accademic section and second hand books in the attic. [Smile]

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been told Wesley Owen Cambridge will do special orders, but I've not tried it myself...

(edited to correct typo)

[ 16. August 2009, 06:05: Message edited by: Loveheart ]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any bookshop will do special orders. If they get a lot of special orders in a particular area they may well start stocking some related books.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fingerdoughnut:
quote:

Ha! At Spring Harvest this year WO's so-called 'theology section' contained Benny Hinn and TD Jakes [brick wall]
Yeah, I spent my time wandering through the bookstall attempting to hide the more nutty ones...

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Glad to see a bishop living up to the ordination charge to drive out false teaching!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:
I've been told Wesley Owen Cambridge will do special orders, but I've not tried it myself...

(edited to correct typo)

You may have noted, too, that the very helpful lady who was at the SPCK shop in Cambridge for many years is now working down the road at Wesley Owen, and will doubtless have brought a good deal of expertise with her.

[ 16. August 2009, 17:46: Message edited by: Metapelagius ]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:

(edited to correct typo)

You may have noted, too, that the very helpful lady who was at the SPCK shop in Cambridge for many years is now working down the road at Wesley Owen, and will doubtless have brought a good deal of expertise with her.
Yes, I had heard that too, and very glad I am to hear it, she is lovely!

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
fingerdoughnut
Shipmate
# 13822

- Posted      Profile for fingerdoughnut         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I spent my time wandering through the bookstall attempting to hide the more nutty ones...
Crikey Pete173, in your position couldn't you have done a bit better than that? You know - whip of cords, overturn their tables, scatter the money from their tills... [Biased]
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Chester, the former SPCK shop (deserted) has a poster in the window from the former manager telling people to go to Wesley Owen round the corner because he's the manager there now.

Wesley Owen are owned by International Bible Society. Most of their shops seem to roughly follow market pressures - they'll stock what people want to buy and order anything within reason. Some of the managers (including my local one) seem to exercise a good deal of discernment and avoid most of the wackier stuff. But sadly not all...

If you want a shop that stocks the reading list for a university course, try a university bookshop.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
In Chester, the former SPCK shop (deserted) has a poster in the window from the former manager telling people to go to Wesley Owen round the corner because he's the manager there now.

Very interesting. He's a good lad.

I was in the SPCK in Chester last time I was in Chester and a young lad was the new manager, who told me that all the former staff had gone to a new shop in town.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am blessed with having access to Blackwells in Oxford.
Blackwells theology section [Axe murder]
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Crikey Pete173, in your position couldn't you have done a bit better than that? You know - whip of cords, overturn their tables, scatter the money from their tills... [Biased]
Careful - remember he is C of E. In our church, we have to have several committees to discuss this sort of action.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Careful - remember he is C of E. In our church, we have to have several committees to discuss this sort of action.

Now just stop pretending to be Reformed. Anglican's have still a lot to learn about committees from us. After all we call our "bishops" chairperson for a reason. "Moderator" is the Presbyterian term for a chairperson. Yes, when we are being technically correct "one addresses the moderator" even if the person chairing is the local minister or even an elder.

Jengie

[ 17. August 2009, 15:45: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fingerdoughnut
Shipmate
# 13822

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, I see, that explains it. Sorry about that, I'm new to all this Anglicanism thing. Still, there's always next year! Will that be long enough for him to pass a motion? So to speak.
cynic girl
Shipmate
# 13844

- Posted      Profile for cynic girl   Author's homepage   Email cynic girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Almost as radical as a certain group of younger non-heterosexual Christians, who put cards advertising their organization in the "turn from thy perversions and become an pure, redeemed married person" type books on the bookstalls at New Wine et cetera...

(We have a lot of fun trying to accomplish this quickly, while the bookstall owners are otherwise occupied. Haven't been caught yet.)

--------------------
Currently recruiting for ethnographic research into the experiences of disabled Christians or those with health problems.

Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Chester, the former SPCK shop (deserted)

Possibly the saddest sentence I've ever read on the Ship. I loved that shop. It had a wonderful second hand section upstairs. You could browse in there for hours and find the most amazing treasure.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sacked workers win payout but will they actually get any of this money?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:

According to the Church Times they will:
quote:
Staff sacked from the former SPCK bookshops are receiving their first compensation payments. They will each receive 65 per cent of the agreed amount by the end of the month, and the remainder within six months.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:

According to the Church Times they will:
quote:
Staff sacked from the former SPCK bookshops are receiving their first compensation payments. They will each receive 65 per cent of the agreed amount by the end of the month, and the remainder within six months.

The local Chester weekly, the Chester Chronicle, also reports the staff as getting their compensation, in this story

In the printed edition, they can't seem to make up their mind if the quoted lady is called "Heather Blathers" as per the comment, or "Heather Leather", in the photograph.

Anyway, good luck to them all.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angus McDangley:
quote:
In Chester, the former SPCK shop (deserted)

Possibly the saddest sentence I've ever read on the Ship. I loved that shop. It had a wonderful second hand section upstairs. You could browse in there for hours and find the most amazing treasure.
Indeed; I was only fortunate to visit the shop tice (I was in Chester with mt wife's choir for a weekend of singing), but I was astounded by the richness of what was on offer. I left with a couple of bags full of interesting books by the time I had finished. How I managed to get them past my daughter, whom my wife had sent with me with instructions not to let me acquire too many books, I will never know. A great sadness that it has gone, as with the other shops. I'm just thankful that the Cardiff branch has been the subject of a friendly takeover and is still going strong.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that second-hand availablity of books was very interesting, and had excellent books; the SPCK shop in Marylebone closed down a while ago and had a huge area of them, as well as their variety of "new" books. I've missed that bookshop... I think my son's big Bible book with Hebrew, Greek and English in lines together is still around my home. It was such a big book that it had the cover getting detached - very much cheaper than buying it "new".

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016