homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: "SPCK" bookshops (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: "SPCK" bookshops
Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had an agreement with people that they should work for us and we would pay them money.

We tore that up and said they had to abide by a different "agreement" - they would not agree.

So they aren't working for us any more and it's all their fault.

Well you can't just tear up an agreement like that, and employees have rights, and probably lawyers too by now. Messrs Brewer are apparently lawyers, but they seemed to have forgotten to acquaint themselves with English law, as well as the basics of human decency (let alone the higher expectations suggested by our faith). They are a disgrace.

It would help, I think, if we (or most of us) were to agree not to associate their names with the words Orthodox or Christian in our comments - since the associations seem to me to be both misleading and offensive.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone been to the branch in Chester recently? I had many dealings with them when I lived there and wonder what's happening there.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
According to Dave Walker's invaluable blog/Save SPCK campaign the former SPCK staff weren't sacked by e-mail. Rather, in the words of a statement issued by the Brewer's:

quote:
"We have recently completed new contract consultations throughout the charity. Unfortunately, certain persons have chosen to terminate their employment rather than agree to the new contract. This is a matter of the employees’ personal and individual choice; it is not the action of the charity."
So that's all right then.

I know you're being ironic, J Whitgift, but this must be the Brewers' legal defence. "We offered them continuity of employment, they turned it down and so sacked themselves i.e resigned."

Thereby, neatly, do the Brewers seek to avoid compensation. The truth is far from that simple, and the law in this country specifically prevents the absolute use of that argument. As BroJames said, it depends on the terms of the contract on offer and the existing terms of employment which the new offer seeks to replace.

I agree about Dave Walker's invaluable blog and I note that Father Gregory's excellent response is getting highlighted. This is not over by any means.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JimS
Shipmate
# 10766

- Posted      Profile for JimS   Email JimS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The general secretary of USDAW writes in the Church Times
"....Your readers may be interested to know, with regard to the ongoing difficulties at the bookshop, that this dispute is not resolved, and we expect new, drastically reduced and probably illegal contracts to be imposed on staff in the very near future.

The main changes are: an increase in the length of the working week from 37.5 hours per week to 40, with no increase in pay; all part-time staff will become casual staff with no guaranteed hours every week; and staff will have no sick pay, where the current contract provides for eight weeks’ full pay followed by eight weeks’ half pay. ....

USDAW is willing to assist in trying to reach a negotiated settlement if St Stephen the Great were prepared to meet us."

--------------------
Jim:Confused of Crewe

Posts: 137 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pax Vobiscum
Apprentice
# 13413

- Posted      Profile for Pax Vobiscum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, first time here - having observed for sometime - so I hope you don't mind the wanderings of an ex-SPCKer.

Having spoken to my former colleagues this week, they have experienced such despair, anger and powerlessnes over the way their jobs and their vocations have been summarily snatched from them.

Two years ago the SPCK shops were resplendent in their imperfection but now, alas, they are no more. Whether, at the end of the day, there was still a need from them in the c21 is debatable. What isn't is the crass bullying that has gone on over the past year+ which has broken the shops and the spirits of some very dedicated people who have worked hard for them.

We are all glad of the support being given here and on Dave Walker's site. The shops may be finished but justice still needs to be served - so please keep this story in the minds of those who matter.

Posts: 1 | From: South West England | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The truth is far from that simple, and the law in this country specifically prevents the absolute use of that argument.

It worked for Rupert Murdoch and News International [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very true, ken. Though if memory serves Murdoch wasn't refusing to pay statutory sick pay, was he?

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liverpool fan:
Has anyone been to the branch in Chester recently? I had many dealings with them when I lived there and wonder what's happening there.

Not since August, when they seemed happy enough, but unsure about the future of the secondhand trade (they were having a big 50% off sale.) There didn't seem to be any concern about the future of the shop itself.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The truth is far from that simple, and the law in this country specifically prevents the absolute use of that argument.

It worked for Rupert Murdoch and News International [Frown]
Wapping was mid 1980's. Lots of Industrial Tribunal precedents since then and a 2006 reworking of TUPE (which may very well apply). What worked then is not necessarily a good guide to what is right now. There is probably a lot of devil in the detail.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also the environment that counts. If I remember rightly Wapping was in the middle of Margaret Thatchers anti-Union drive when Unions were being attacked for all sorts of thing, and power was seen as being on the Union's side not on Murdoch's. If I remember rightly Murdoch also managed to bill it as smashing the "closed shop". That was when you actually had to belong to a specific Union to work in specific jobs.

Now it is pretty clear that SPCK is not a closed shop, in fact the staff seem hardly unionised at all, and are only getting unionised as a result of what has happened. Also these staff cannot be portrayed as controlled by extreme Marxists after all they are working for SPCK.

Also SPCK isn't News International, the average person on the street could not care about SPCK, if they know who it is. This is good news as far as court proceedings go, it means that there is far less likelihood of court proceedings being seen as part of a political agenda.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Pax Vobiscum:

We are all glad of the support being given here and on Dave Walker's site. The shops may be finished but justice still needs to be served - so please keep this story in the minds of those who matter.

Glad to see you, Pax Vobiscum. Peace be unto you. I see from this site that there may be a fresh initiative in Norwich - how that might factor in remains to be seen.

As some of the above posts indicate, there is a lot of concern here that ex-staff receive justice; personally I think that is a bigger first priority than supply for customers. But that's just my view. I am also guessing that the only practical way of co-ordinating that for all (or most) would be via USDAW. Publicity will help, I'm sure; chipping in some support funds might also help.

One of the rules on these boards is against campaigning, so it might be better to look at that sort of stuff on Dave Walker's blog? But I think it would be valuable to hear more of your perspective on priorities for staff.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Update

Here is some more detail re the Norwich sackings.

It is worth noting this earlier quote from Mark Brewer of SSG

quote:
Mr Brewer said the organization had not “sacked” the staff via email.

He said: “We have recently completed new contract consultations throughout the charity. Unfortunately, certain persons have chosen to terminate their employment rather than agree to the new contract. This is a matter of the employees' personal and individual choice; it is not the action of the charity.”

--------------------

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Network Norwich report says:
quote:
An American-based lawyer, Mr Brewer goes on in his e-mail to tell staff to put a notice in the shop door saying the shop will reopen on February 18 and then tells the staff to: “Lock the door and call for instructions on where to put the keys.”

If any Shipmates have suggestions as to where Mr Brewer can put his keys, they should contact him directly.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
If any Shipmates have suggestions as to where Mr Brewer can put his keys, they should contact him directly.

[Snigger]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that there are now other shops where staff who have refused to sign the new contracts have been given their notice. It appears that in some cases they are unable to give any information about whether/how the shop will be run when their notice expires.

The slow motion car crash continues...

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News on the Times website today.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Plato's cat
Shipmate
# 11158

- Posted      Profile for Plato's cat   Author's homepage   Email Plato's cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note with horror that the new owners of SPCK bookshops, according to the Times article, have produced a new video which apparently calls for a new crusade against Islam:

'Among the virtues of St Stephen extolled on a video about the work of the trust named after him, however, are St Stephen's victories in 47 battles against “Muslim Turks”. To mark these victories, he is said to have founded 47 churches. And on the video, the trust's chairman, Mark Brewer, says he intends to follow in the footsteps of St Stephen. The Koran was one of the first things to go from the shops, now renamed after the society that has taken them over.'

PC

Posts: 715 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
It appears that in some cases they are unable to give any information about whether/how the shop will be run when their notice expires.

[Confused] Presumably Andreas would be happy to run about 4 shops at once, but what will happen to the others? [Big Grin]

Andreas - have you got any comments on the efforts of the Wrong brothers in their attempt to bring wings to the church in the UK?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Thursday's Church Times, the Westminster/Faith House branch has been closed since 11 April [Frown] . Link. I haven't been down that way recently, so hadn't noticed the closure. It's a shame, as the manager there had seemed very sure that they'd weather this storm.

This may have some influence on matters though:

quote:
In a recent briefing, Mark Brewer, one of the two Texan brothers who head SSG, stated that the charity had experienced cashflow difficulties, but that some of the shops were thriving.

In a recent briefing, Mark Brewer, one of the two Texan brothers who head SSG, stated that the charity had experienced cashflow difficulties, but that some of the shops were thriving. He cited the examples of the Chichester and Durham Cathedral shops.

"These shops’ sales have remained strong throughout the past two financial quarters and have been profitable — thus proving the viability of Christian bookselling in the United Kingdom, and disproving the argument that we Brewers are the problem, he said."

On a related note, it looks as though the employment tribunal against SSG is due to go ahead in June. (There are at least 20 claims against SSG according to the report, cited above). It will be interesting to see what the outcome of these claims are.

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The interesting thing is that in other places, the Brewers have claimed that the Durham and Chichester shops are independent operations and no longer part of the SSG -- or for that matter the SPCK -- network. There's a thread on Dave Walker's Cartoon Church site referring to this.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helpful link. [Razz]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the end of the saga?

I am told that the shop in Cambridge was closed towards the end of June. As for what has happened in Worcester ......

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would they file for bankruptcy in the U.S. when the shops are in the U.K.? Can anyone explain how the U.S. action affects the situation over here?

Jonah

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Oh that's appalling news from Worcester.

I guess the Chapter 11 news enables the Brewers to retain control over what's left for the time being. Those making compensation claims have probably seen the implications.

[Votive] continuing prayers for all concerned.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no. That's unspeakable. [Votive] May he rest in peace.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Brewers are under the impression that what happens under US law applies in the UK. There is a great deal of eivdence that they simply do not understand that there are two different countries, with different systems of law involved.

I gather that the petition has now been changed from Chapter 11, which allows a company to continue operating while it restructures, to chapter (4?), which means winding it up. As the company in question is not a US comapny, and as none of its assets are in that country, it seems odd to me that a US court will even accept the application, much less rule on it in any other sense than to say the application is ultra vires.

John

[ 08. July 2008, 01:52: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

From what I know of the law, that's true, John. But when it comes to recovery of compensation, the effect of getting a ruling in the US nay have some effect on the priorities applied to compensation claims. I have a feeling, for example, that the tax man comes first.

Which is a long way round of saying "I guess its complicated!" It's hard on the UK claimants isn't it? It costs money to make your case, you can't be sure how the letter of the law may apply, and the Brewers may not have any money left anyway. Plus you're probably skint. Having lost your job and all that.

A very good friend of ours is caught up in this. Recently widowed as well. My feelings can be imagined.

--------------------

chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI, this whole sorry story has now made it into today's issue of "Private Eye"
Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another informative blog while Dave W attends to some Bishops somewhere.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bristol branch closed a week ago.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In better news, the plans to re-open a Christian bookshop where the Cardiff SPCK was seem to be proceeding. When I cycled past the other day the sign outside had been repainted to say 'Churches Together Bookshop' and there was a new notice saying when it was opening but I couldn't read the details.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's due to open on 22 July.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Brewers have now gone after Dave Walker with legal threats.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

As indeed it has - I went in at lunchtime. They are still restocking but (a) they're taking orders and (b) the second-hand sales have returned.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:

I'm really disgusted by that. They really are showing their Christian credentials. [Projectile]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

As indeed it has - I went in at lunchtime. They are still restocking but (a) they're taking orders and (b) the second-hand sales have returned.
Yup and it has a website. I thought I read 22 July but I also thought I read Thursday which didn't make sense. I must have been right about the date and wrong about the day (Tuesday/Thursday from a distance are not that dissimilar).

I'll have to go in when I'm back home. Meanwhile, I'll just make sure I publicise its re-opening to lots of people.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work for SPCK, and look what happened to me! (And them.)

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

L.

Words escape me. [Mad]

(But for Dave [Votive] )

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The posts are still available in googlecache, btw.
L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I'd like to do (but can't) is post a poll (probably in Hell) - Brewer Bros or Dave Walker - just to test opinion.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Naah, you need a bit more competition there- how about a choice of Brewer Brothers, Satan and Gordon Brown?

L.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Sorry to double post, the post I linked to earlier on Dave Walker's blog concerning the legal threats by the Brewers has now been taken down itself, presumably for legal reasons.

I wont link directly in case that exposes the Ship in anyway, but I will note that such tactics don't work very well in this day and age, as the search

cease desist site:http://www.cartoonchurch.com/

on Google, brings up the googlecache, and the post is there. Good luck to the Brewers taking that down.

L.

PS. hosts, if that's not indirect enough then please delete as necessary.

--------------------

Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just found this news on yet another spck blog. I wonder what the consequences of a "motion to dismiss the liquidation of SSG" would be? Perhaps some of our American friends could help here...
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry to double post, the post I linked to earlier on Dave Walker's blog concerning the legal threats by the Brewers has now been taken down itself, presumably for legal reasons.

I wont link directly in case that exposes the Ship in anyway, but I will note that such tactics don't work very well in this day and age, as the search

cease desist site:http://www.cartoonchurch.com/

on Google, brings up the googlecache, and the post is there. Good luck to the Brewers taking that down.

Admin hat /on
Louise, I can't figure out what on earth the alleged problem was with Dave Walker's blog post (it certainly wasn't defamatory in any way that I can see), so I don't see the problem with linking to the cached version. If Dave were better capitalized, I'd suggest that he leave the blog up and tell the Brewers to stick it up their bottoms, legally speaking.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yam-uk:
I've just found this news on yet another spck blog. I wonder what the consequences of a "motion to dismiss the liquidation of SSG" would be? Perhaps some of our American friends could help here...

I don't specialize in Bankruptcy law, but I'm pretty sure a motion to dismiss the liquidation is a motion to dismiss the bankruptcy petition itself. If granted, it would mean that the thing gets tossed out of court and they have to think of something else. I'm confused about why a UK entity would be able to file for BR anyway, unless they're incorporated in the US. [Confused]

[ 23. July 2008, 17:57: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

Actually, there is some mystery about why the Brewers filed for bankruptcy in the US in the first place, for precisely that reason. It appears that they don't realize that the US and England (in this case, because it's English not British law in question, I think) are two different countries and that you can't just do everything in the US and hope it applies.

Either that, or they think the Texas (?) court in question is so stupid that it will do something, and do so in such a way that the very many English creditors (unpaid staff, unpaid suppliers and so on) have no chance to register their claims or be heard in court.

John

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This whole saga doesn't get any less bizarre, does it?

The business of the threats of action against blogger comments is very reminiscent of the late Robert Maxwell's behaviour. Not a good omen.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
innocent(ish)
Shipmate
# 12691

- Posted      Profile for innocent(ish)   Email innocent(ish)   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cartoon Blog has now disappeared completely - all very concerning.

--------------------
"Christianity has become part of the furniture ... like a grand piano nobody plays any longer.I want the dust to be taken off and people to play music." Archbishop John Sentamu

Posts: 109 | From: Rochester | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by innocent(ish):
The Cartoon Blog has now disappeared completely - all very concerning.

[Mad]
I can't even open the cartoons on Dave's Lambeth site. I wish I could blame the Brewers for that too.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that the solidarity is growing. Many bloggers are taking up the mantel and are posting whole sections of Dave's blog via googlecache in order to keep the posts on the web.

Also, the most interesting development is well covered here . Allegedly (hosts, please check that this is okay) evidence suggests that the Brewer's are attempting to take a UK registered company/charity into bankruptcy in the US, under US law which, if successful, would deny UK tribunal claimants (and creditors) compensation. It also appears that Mark Brewer is acting as legal counsel in the bankruptcy case and, as such, is entitled to a first share of monies recovered from the bankrupt business. However, it also appears that a petition has been filed with the Texas courts pointing these anomalies out and that the date of this petition coincides with the 'Cease and Desist' order served on Dave W. Could it be that a certain Texan lawyer was concerned that Dave would publish the details of this petition?

Inquiring minds, want to know [Big Grin]

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016