homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia: An offer you can't refuse (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia: An offer you can't refuse
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There you go. Time for a vote. You may vote for TMW3 (Sioni Sais), Professor Chells (Chelley), Dr André (§Andrew) or Steve Buckland (Stevie Boy Wonder) to be lynched, or for no lynching. You have 24 hours to cast your vote, and a majority of votes cast will ensure a brief upturn in rope sales. With 10 townsfolk left, 6 votes will be enough to see your choice swing.

Once again, I must remind the townsfolk that lynching an innocent is likely to see the mob take control. No lynching will give the innocents at least another day.

Please cast your votes.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:

It's time that the city begins to appreciate her benefactors rather than send them to hades!

Patty Romano wishes she could let this poor guy know just how much of a blast it is to be dead. She wishes she could let everyone know. But then everyone would want to be lynched and nobody would want to take their turn.

Patty raised what would have been her arms and with a big WHOOSH she shot up to the top of the church steeple to get a better view of things. She wondered what form she would take when she began haunting her brother's restaurant. She didn't like the new singer and thought it would be great sport to tweak her a little.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for goodness' sakes, someone has to vote first...

Lucinda is intrigued by the number of nominations. There have never been so many before, and this close to the tipping point she therefore suspects that the mafia are hedging their bets and trying to split the vote in the event that they can't get a majority.

In particular, she doesn't buy the accusation of Steve Buckland, who doesn't look very guilty to her at all. Therefore she thinks that the nomination is part of the aforementioned vote-splitting strategy. Consequently she sets aside her former suspiscion of the Man who wasn't Welsh and votes for Professor Chells

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rev Permin shared Lucinda's concern about the number of nominations, even as he seemd to hear a Geordie voice telling the day and time. However, he didn't want to pile on a bandwagon by simply voting for the first person who had received a vote.

Looking back, Permin still felt that the Doctor's advice had been divisive, and his defence unconvincing. On that basis, he decided to stick to his first thoughts and vote for Dr André.

Who goes? You decide...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vicar returned from his morning walk with a question going round his mind. Would people believe that avoiding a lynching would be a better option, as lynching an innocent would give control to the Mob? Permin recognised this danger, but he also thought that doing nothing, and allowing the Mob to murder an innocent overnight, would still lead to Mob control by the following morning. Morally, it might be better to stand back, but practically, there needed to be at least an attempt to reduce the Mafia influence. 'We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the landing grounds...'

Permin felt better for dealing with these thoughts and went inside the vicarage, lighting a large cigar as he did so and fighting off a large black dog that had suddenly appeared [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:

In particular, she doesn't buy the accusation of Steve Buckland, who doesn't look very guilty to her at all. Therefore she thinks that the nomination is part of the aforementioned vote-splitting strategy. Consequently she sets aside her former suspiscion of the Man who wasn't Welsh and votes for Professor Chells

Prof Chells had become more and more concerned that one by one the citizens of the town had been lynched or got by the gangsters - except for the latest mob attack on the Bishop who'd already confessed his Mafia connections - and so she'd started to look around her a bit more carefully and wonder about those who'd been left to hover quietly in the background. No vote splitting, just barking up a different tree!

And so the Prof decided to follow the same instinct that lead to her nomination of Steve Buckland and vote for him too.

[ 11. February 2009, 09:26: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Banner objected to being called a large black dog; but he hoped, somewhat ethereally, that Rev Permin would remember to include Psalm 120 in the episcopal funeral this week...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"OK, people;" said D. Avelarge as he struggled to make himself heard over the clamour that was going on. "We've got to come up with a plan. It seems obvious that the Mob are trying to split the vote and make sure there's no lynching today. This is not a good thing!

"Personally, I think that the logic that Prof Chells and Bishop Banner appeared to be in cahoots is a good one. Therefore, I vote for Prof Chells to be lynched. I urge all citizens of Little Florence to do the same (and to buy Nightingales season tickets, now on sale at a very reasonable $350)."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The attempt by Professor Chells to lynch the previously un-nominated Steve Buckland looked like a desperate bid to avoid the noose to The Man Who Wasn't Welsh.

He therefore joined Lucinda and Mr Avelarge and voted for Professor Chells. He didn't buy a season ticket though, thinking that with the town the way it is, match-by-match tickets are probably wiser.

[eta: stuff about Mr Avelarge]

[ 11. February 2009, 11:36: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doctor André thinks that D. Avelarge makes sense. He remembered that Jane also had pointed out Professor Chells' suspicious role. At that time the doctor defended the Professor, thinking she was an innocent citizen. But now we know for sure that Jane was an innocent citizen all along, while we know little about the Professor herself.

The doctor decided to vote, right after The Man Who Wasn't Welsh, for Professor Chells.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir van der Hill was from a different era, born at a time when fridges were a thing from outer space (and America), generally known as "refrigerators" and when girls called Stephanie could be nicknamed "Stiffy". He found the modern times and their violent ways bewildering.

He found several of the nominees suspicious-looking but could not be arsed to analyse every half-sentence and argument in the readers' letters page of the past six weeks of the Little Florence Courier. Some reasonings, he remembered, had seemed so convoluted that simply hanging the author for crimes against the dignity of common sense and basic logic seemed mild punishment. Drawing and quartering would be more appropriate in some cases.

As no lynching meant giving control to the mob anyway he felt obliged to jump on the high-speed bandwagon and vote for the demise of Prof. Chells lest the mob split the vote as someone clever had pointed out.

He shivered a bit at the thought that this decision might tip the balance and bring the town firmly into the hands of the Mafia. But then ... Roman rule had proved to be very beneficial to Europe not so long ago.

[ 11. February 2009, 13:37: Message edited by: Sylvander ]

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dash it! I meant bold print.
Prof. Chells.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The votes are in:

TMW3 (Sioni Sais): 0 votes
Professor Chells (Chelley): 5 votes (§Andrew, davelarge, lady in red, Sioni Sais, Sylvander)
Dr André (§Andrew): 1 vote (Rev per Minute)
Steve Buckland (Stevie Boy Wonder): 1 vote (Chelley)
No lynching: 0 votes

Professor Chells (Chelley) is lynched. Unfortunately, she was a Citizen, and the writing appears to be on the wall. Once she's posted her death scene, night will fall.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ella awoke with a start. She was sooo tired. She resolved not to be out so late at night anymore.

She stomped her foot on her hardwood floors when she realized that she had missed another lynching. All the skinks and geckos in the house scattered toward the walls and climbed to the highest spots.

Under the watchful eyes of her reptile brood, Ella made another sign and hung it outside of her upstairs balcony. It said:

quote:
Lynch Professor Chells
She Smells Italian!

Ella watched as the crowd in the town square cut down the Professor's swinging corpse. She hoped no one noticed her sign was already obsolete.

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a bad dream Ella thought the Prof - I'm not dead yet.... But then she heard the noise of voices, a clamouring around the street door and feet on the stairs to her little flat. The Prof knew her number was up and she started to shout to them... Look around you... look at the ones who seem innocent... not another citizen... but it was too late. She quickly scrawled some letters on a scrap of paper and put it into the journal she was working on, at least she could make her suspicions known from beyond the grave. The door burst open...

[ 11. February 2009, 21:33: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Night falls

If you have night actions, you may now take them.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane Austen-Wreath discovered that if she closed her ghostly eyes she looked exactly like a sheet. She floated though a kitchen wall, folded herself up several times, and draped herself gracefully over the edge of Lucinda's laundry basket. After counting little Florent's fingers and toes (good, still twenty) she commenced tickling his tummy with a fine 450 thread-ount Egyptian premium combed cotton sateen-weave corner.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

In the darkness of the vicarage (the low-energy bulbs having blown), Rev Permin prayed for all those who had died in this sad town. Another innocent killed, another funeral to arrange, another family to comfort. Why did the people of this town fall so easily for the soft words of the Mafia, blaming people who were blameless? Permin was sure there was a sermon in that somewhere - provided that he lived long enough to preach it and the rest of the town lived long enought to hear it.

He took refuge in some of the Bishop's excellent single malt. He was afraid that the end could not be long in coming for Little Florence (and probably little Florent, too, poor thing). 'Sic transit gloria mundi,' he thought, even though it was Thursday.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avelarge was trying to forget. Sat on the sofa with a fire blazing in the grate, a single malt scotch in one hand and The Illustrated History of Hockey in the other, it was all he could do to stop his mind wandering to the dismal events of the last week.

Suddenly, he sat bolt upright. There was a scuffling noise from the front door, and the mail box flapped open and shut. Getting up, Avelarge cautiously approached the hallway to see an envelope lying on the doormat. Opening it, he read
quote:
D. Avelarge, Esq
10 Inernet Mews,
Florence House
Little New England

Dear Sir,

It is in my unofficial capacity as the soft soul of the Dark Order of Honourable Men and Women of Little Florence that I write to you. I wish to inform you that you have been selected for a sudden and possibly messy end this very night.

As this will seal our taking over of this beautiful little hamlet (which started out as a medium sized town) I herewith make an offer to a fellow philantropist in view of your merits in lynching several innocent citizens for us (much appreciated).

If you make a public announcement tomorrow morning declaring your changing sides and having joined the Honourable Order etc. and urging your fellow citizens do to likewise we will allow you to live and join the victory parade and party with us.

Failure to respond fast enough, will, I am afraid, end in my fellow members of the Honourable Order etc & etc writing a message to our hitman.

Sincerly yours,
Sir van der Hill

"The cheek!", Avelarge said (out loud) to no-one in particular. There was no way that he would allow himself to be degraded in such a way. An honourable death was one hundred times better than a dishonest life, and if the town really was to be taken over by the Mob, he did not wish to see it.

Pouring another glass of whiskey, finding his favourite chapter of the book, and settling back down on the sofa, Avelarge calmly awaited his fate.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Ah, gentle dames, it gars me greet
Tae see how mony counsels sweet,
How mony lengthen'd sage advices
The husband fae the wife despises!

And not just husbands from wives, alas.
Rev Permin, brace yourself for another funeral! He was a brave man.
vdH [Two face]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like I said, life in Little Florence never stops to surprise you...

Personally, if I were a mafioso, I would be the unforgiving guy and I would go for Rev. Permin, who just seems to have something personal with me...

(And I have already included him in my will, like D. Avelarge... But now it seems it's time for me to change my will. Now where is my lawyer's number?)

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

To no one's great surprise, following this bizarre turn of events, D. Avelarge has been murdered. There is no news report available, as the staff of the Little Florence Mercury have sensibly followed the police's lead and fled the town. The mob now make up 50% of the town's population, giving them control of the town, and have therefore won the game.

Mr Avelarge is now free to post his death scene. For a bit of fun, before they reveal themselves, would anyone (alive or dead) like to redeem the citizens' capitulation by guessing at the identity of the 4 mobsters in your midst? Your options are:

§Andrew
ephemera
lady in red
leonato
Rev per Minute
Sioni Sais
Stevie Boy Wonder
Sylvander

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite having been detective, I have no more information than anyone else. With the exception of Autenrieth Road and Banner Lady, everyone else I investigated was killed by the mob before I could use the information that they were innocent.

I think Andrew is innocent, he was talking too much to be a mobster, even if I didn't always agree with his reasoning. I think leonato is mob, and there's been some double-*bluffing going on. I think lady in red might be mob too. Apart from that I have no idea, but I'll guess Stevie and ephemera just for kicks.

--
* or, at least, even parity-

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

Permin scratched his head as he packed his bags (a little like rubbing your tummy while patting your head, but slightly more productive). Now the Mob had control, it was time to go. But who were the Mobsters?

Dr André was still on his list, and he wondered whether the Bishop's last words had some semblance of truth. If so, Leonato was also a suspect. Sir van der Hill appeared to have outed himself as well. Who else? Permin was unsure, but felt that Lucinda was the most likely of the remainder.

Now to bury the Bishop, not bash him - sorry, not praise him, as young Will* had once said about his Caesar salad - and then run. Perhaps the episcopal hearse could be persuaded to travel at more than 15 mph or 25 km/h (Permin was, at heart, a metric guy)?

(*Not Will Young, that would just be silly)

ETA - Permin's memory was going. He had thought that the young lady dreaming of Paris had been Ella, when in fact it was Lucinda, so he corrected himself. Talking of Paris, there should be some openings for a travelling priest there - after all, Paris was worth a Mass, or so he'd been told...

[ 12. February 2009, 13:41: Message edited by: Rev per Minute ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

It was all too stereotyped...

The broken whiskey tumbler on the rug, the embers of the fire slowly fading to darkness, the blood-stained couch where the body was propped up as if dozing peacefully.

The end had been lingering. The victim had bled out from two deep cuts across his jugular made by the recently sharpened skates that the murderer had found by the back door. Somehow that seemed to encapsulate the capitulation of Little Florence to the Mob. Too often the citizens had been complicit in their downfall, the Mob cleverly using their friendly familiarity to do the dirty work.

So, now it is done. Only one question remains: What now for this town?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We started with five mobsters? Gaaaaaaaah!

(* The 450 thread-count Egyptian cotten finest percale etc etc. sheet leaped up and careened wildly around Lucinda's kitchen, popping through cupboard doors in a most disconcerting fashion. *)

I suspect:

Salvatore Leonato, playing the complete stealth strategy of never ever posting after roles were announced. (I suspected him for this reason before Banner Lady apparently outed him -- unless that was a bluff.)

Sioni Sais Who Wasn't Welsh, for making some completely strange accusations.

Dr. Andre, ditto. Not necessarily from my first go-round with him, but rather because after my death he's had some assertions that seemed completely counterfactual to me.

Sylvander Hill, who apparently has outed himself.

Barber/Detective Harry Artson emailed me to tell me he'd investigated me and found me innocent. So when he nominated Bishop Banner, I deduced that he finally had some firm info about the Mafia. My nervous relief alas overflowed into a fit of logorrhea which doomed the poor detective to lynching. I shall be interested to find out whether Citizens lead the charge of suspicion against Harry and me, or whether Mafia cleverly seeded that round.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
* or, at least, even parity-

[Killing me]

Proof that Harry and Jane, although sharing a mathematical funny bone, are definitely not in cahoots: except for the obvious vote for leonato, our Mafia suspicions have nothing in common!

--------------------
Truth

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*ghostly pout on little ghost girl face*

I still think that Rev. Permin was guilty.

Oh well, I thing I'll go haunt my sister! [Snigger] While I'm at it, I'll do some nice things for my mom, like iron the sheets! Hahahaha!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have made some strange accusations, but people actually followed me along. How come I'm strange now while I wasn't before?

Here are the votes from The Jury That Isn't Welsh.

The Mob now running Little Frorence consists of:

ephemera
Rev per Minute
Stevie Boy Wonder
Sylvander

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
How come I'm strange now while I wasn't before?

Because I was murdered before I had a chance to raise these thoughts with the citizenry.

Of course, in suspecting you, I could be exhibiting a mastery of the major skill required of all applicants for Little Florentine Citizenship: shooting ourselves in the foot.

--------------------
Truth

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
We started with five mobsters? Gaaaaaaaah!

Well, we did start with a total of 21 players. In hindsight, though, it was probably one too many.

I'll say no more about that now, because I'm interested to see who had suspicions about whom.

--------------------

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Buckland looked around at the remains of the city he had called home. He knew the mob must be ruling now, because when he'd arrived at school he'd found a note pinned to the fish tank saying:
"We're proud of our city, and we're proud of our kids. So top grades for every pupil, or you'll be sleeping with these guys..."

Steve didn't know whether to run or hide, but he figured either way the Mafia would catch him. If only he'd had some ideas as to who they were...

Of the small band of survivors, the ones he'd been most suspicious of were Patrick Permin and The Man Who Wasn't Welsh, but they were both talking as if they too were innocent citizens like Steve. Of the remainder, he was pretty certain Sir Van der Hill was guilty, largely thanks to D. Avelarge's dying words. Bishop Banner's claims that Salvatore Leonato was a mobster seemed a little too convenient to be true - after all, who better to try to pass the buck to than a man who is unlikely to argue back as he's been silent for weeks? - but there could be some truth in it.

After much thought, Steve decided his unusual suspects were Sir Van der Hill, The Man Who Wasn't Welsh, Dr Andre and Patrick Permin. By process of elimination, he knew at least one of his assumptions must be right. But he can't help thinking that the Mafia have been very shrewd to have twelve innocent people murdered while only losing one of their own...

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Well, I'm still suspicious about Steve Buckland and the Rev!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were a betting person, I would definitely bet large amounts of cash that the following are ALL mafioso:

Salvatore Leonato
Rev. Patrick Permin
TMW3
Steve Buckland

and, of course, Bishop Banner.

They all look guilty as sin! [Devil]

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for those five, too.

And since I was lynched early on by people who thought I was one of THEM, they owe me big-time and I will expect payment as soon as one or the other of them kicks the bucket.

[Devil]

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Get away from me with that hot iron, you nasty purple-plastered ghost, you!

(* Jane leaped up from her rumpled doze by Lucinda's laundry basket and tried to dart away from the youthfully agile small pillowcase chasing her around the room. Quite how the ghost of jedijudy was able to lift an iron, Jane wasn't quite sure. She herself (Jane, not jedi) found she just passed through anything heavier than a kitten that she tried to lift. And the kittens she'd lifted so far in her sheetly existence hadn't seemd to enjoy the experience. *)

Soooooo. Four live Florentines have weighed in. Now, the Mafia might be playing "keep the Citizens confused by pretending to guess who the Mafia are." But assuming that they are instead getting properly drunk in a Nightingales' skybox, like any proper Mafiosi ought to do to celebrate taking over a town of innocent dimwits, that means the living Mafia are:

§Andrew
lady in red
leonato
Sylvander

On the other hand, ephemera's [Devil] makes me wonder if she's twitting us, in which case I'm just exhausted from double-bluffs, triple-bluffs, bluffs of even parity, bluffs of odd parity.

(* Jane's hiding place underneath the ironing board was suddenly invaded by a squadron of geckos and salamanders. She flew up in a flurry and fled out the window. *)

--------------------
Truth

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

quote:
On the other hand, ephemera's [Devil] makes me wonder if she's twitting us, in which case I'm just exhausted from double-bluffs, triple-bluffs, bluffs of even parity, bluffs of odd parity.

(* Jane's hiding place underneath the ironing board was suddenly invaded by a squadron of geckos and salamanders. She flew up in a flurry and fled out the window. *)

I don't twit or bluff, dear Jane.

I added lucifer... [Devil] ...to emphasize what devil dogs Salvatore Leonato, Rev. Patrick Permin, TMW3, Steve Buckland, and, of course, Bishop Banner are. I said...
quote:
They all look guilty as sin! [Devil]
See? Guilty, sin, devil - it's a relational thing.

The real question is...what were you doing in my house hiding under the ironing board? I have those little lizard beings for 2 reasons:
  • they are my alarm system - they scamper around on the floor and will alert to any strange energy, like you hangin' around under the ironing board.
  • as interesting jewelry...i wear 'em.
  • they whisper to me at night...they tell me who the Mafioso are.
so...what were you doing in my house, Miss Jane? hmmm?

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Sir van der Mountain thought how amazingly hard it apparently was to figure out people in the online version of this game. Even a post which he had thought almost as suicidal as Bishop Banner's had only raised suspicions with one or two other players.

Right to the very end the citizens' suspicions had no more accuracy than random shots in the dark, something he had never seen when playing the game IRL. Yes, play-acting and lying and pretending are easy even for those who IRL would blush at the teensiest weensiest white lie. Not surprising, as in online communication it is often not even possible to figure out someone's sex unless they tell you.

Still I hope that all citizens will now turn around and join our ranks for the big splash tonight? Sunglasses, trenchcoats and felt hats compulsory. Submachine guns desirable
See y'all later
[Cool]

Oh, you still don't know who "our ranks" are? Wait a wee while, I think they'll lead the parade.

Oh, and I wonder whether anybody suspected me before I contacted davelarge? Being one of the white-lie blushers I felt very suspicious all the time.

[ 13. February 2009, 13:26: Message edited by: Sylvander ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Well, it's probably only fair to tell you that the guilty parties were §Andrew, ephemera, lady in red and Sylvander. Congratulations to them and Banner Lady for playing a very canny game - I think only §Andrew raised any suspicions at all before the game was over. I'll cover this when I have the time to do a proper post mortem.

Thank you everyone for playing, and making my job so easy and fun, and apologies to one poor soul who contacted me about joining the game as a substitute, and then watched every single one of the 21 players last to the finish. Maybe we'll have to try that idea again some time.

I was planning to run 2 games this spring, but w*rk and home life have been getting busier recently, and show no sign of easing up, with K-Glet #2 on the way. Fortunately, just as I was beginning to notice that I had less time than I'd like, Teufelchen contacted me about some ideas he's been working on. All being well, I expect him to start up a new game soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's got planned.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] You ratbag, Sylvander! [Razz] I should have known it was you from the twist of the knife. And those other ratbags too - I was fairly certain it was ephemera (gut instinct, goodness knows why), and thought the lady in red rather suspicious, but §Andrew had me completely fooled.

Good game, even if I was done away with far too early for my liking, alas. Thanks Gumby for running it - you're always a brilliant gamesmaster!

Luckily Teufelchen's a good gamesmaster too, though, so here's to the next round [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

TGG - thanks for running the game and keeping us all in check.

Given what Sylvander said, I do wonder if it is possible for the citizenry to win in this online version, unless they have overwhelming numbers on their side. (Mind you, 16 to 5...) I guess that other citizens/ detectives did not PM other townspeople to discuss what was happening, because of the chance that you could be giving your thoughts to the Mafia. It is amazingly difficult to tell who is lying, as long as the Mob avoid dog-piling too quickly.

I thought about how I might have behaved differently if I had been a Mafioso, and to be honest I can't see what else I would have done or said. Not that that stopped me coming under suspicion once or twice (I forgive you, my children).

I shall miss the Rev'd Permin and wish him well wherever he ends up.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... so I was 50% on my guesses... as good as random. [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks to all, especially tGG. Well played to the mob, especially Andrew who'd actually convinced me of his innocence...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Thx to TGG for setting up the game! Much appreciated.

I think it is easier to figure out the psychology of mafiosi for future use if you've been one (this sentence is probably my death sentence in the first or second night next time round).
One tip: people who post a lot and say little are suspicious (as one citizen actually observed somewhere here). Reason is: Mafiosi tend to be more "in" the game because we communicate so much, this tends to make us write more on the thread, too. Citizens are on average quieter.
I was VERY amazed that §Andrew's absurdly illogical defense of the bishop passed without raising too much suspicion. [Big Grin]

Thx everyone for playing and I look forward to the next round. Probably with a different Mafia-citizens ratio?

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Gumby, thanks for your hard work, I really appreciate it.

And thanks to everyone else: It's been fun [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A truly first-rate game.

Andrew, you were the only mafioso, who I was pretty sure was innocent, so I particularly tip my hat to you. Your thought-out debate with Autenrieth Road was very well done.

Thanks citizens (including the evil ones) and Gumby for the excellent writing. It made the game twice as fun.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Many thanks to all who participated!

It was my first time, and I was really excited to read The Great Gumby pm me that I would be a mafioso.

The emails between us mafiosi made the game quite an impressive experience.

My only issue with the game is that it lasted way too much. Thankfully, when things started to get boring, we had the surprise of the Bishop "confess", which gave a very interesting turn to the game.

My complaint is that you fell for what I had to say (which, so to speak, was nothing but disinformation and manipulation), when no one believes me when I say the truth (tm) in Purgatory [Razz]

I mentioned earlier that I had prepared a will, in case I got brutally lynched by the law-abiding citizens. Good thing that I didn't need to post it! [Big Grin]

A special apology to those that we had to "kill" very early in the game!

The Great Gumby, many thanks for giving me the opportunity to play Mafia for the first time!

[ 13. February 2009, 17:34: Message edited by: §Andrew ]

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

I had a lot of fun, too, even if I was a ghost most of the time.

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

Which reminds me...

Ye Olde Motherboarde [Overused] for the idea of ghosts! It was very cool to have the old characters stick around in the persona of their... ghosts! [Yipee]

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:
Which reminds me...

Ye Olde Motherboarde [Overused] for the idea of ghosts! It was very cool to have the old characters stick around in the persona of their... ghosts! [Yipee]

Hmm. I thought I was the first one to hang around as a ghost. I will have to go back and read this thread again.

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

A fun game. Thank you The Great Gumby and everyone.

[ 13. February 2009, 19:01: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016