homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia: An offer you can't refuse (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia: An offer you can't refuse
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooo, mea maxima culpa! [Hot and Hormonal]

Kudos to you then! It was a brilliant thing to do! [Overused]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks to TGG for running the game and a grudging well done to those in The Mob for keeping the disinformation going so well.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the most entertaining part of this for me was what was going on BEHIND the scenes. After our last game of Mafia, where Lady in Red was our Don and I was a loyal mafioso minion, I decided that next time a game came up I would attempt to be a rather unlikeable good guy. I settled on the character of Bishop Banner but then, when roles were allocated, lo and behold I was Mafia once again, and Lady in Red was once more our Don.. I had not expected that! In real life LiR excels in co-ordination, so despite the fact the five of us were in the different time zones of California, Australia, Greece, Germany and France the death toll in the game steadily rose, and it was becoming very predictable. We were victoriously and stealthily evil under her guidance, even though she ran a very democratic Family. The self-congratulation going on backstage was escalating.

The turning point for me was when Bp Banner was targetted by Hart and we were debating how to get us all to the end of the game alive. This was still a very real possibility, and the Family were keen to remain in tact. I didn't mind one way or the other whether my character lived or died, but when I pointed this out, our Don sent me a stern e-mail saying “I absolutely bid you to commit suicide”. Of course, she meant to write “FORbid”, and quickly corrected. But it set me thinking.

LiR was expecting my character to exhibit the same loyalty as my character Bonny had in our previous game. But we are Mafia! We do not know each other. We have never met. And why should we trust or be trustworthy? We are the villains here. In real life, mafioso have fallings out all the time. I began to wonder what would happen if I threw a spanner in the workings of the Happy Famiglia plan. If nothing else it might spice the game up a bit. I began to try to think like a very conflicted villain. This allowed me to have a lot of fun, and injected some uncertainty into the Mafia ranks. I apologize to Ephemera who found this most difficult to deal with and seemed to really grieve over my bolshie actions. (But then, she does have Italian blood!).

I also want to thank Rev per Minute who was a very good sport, and, I suspect, an excellent minister in real life. If any of you reading or posting wear pointy hats, then I just want to say “the character of Bp Banner is entirely fictional and bears no resemblance to any persons living or deceased”. Ahem.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I apologize to Ephemera who found this most difficult to deal with and seemed to really grieve over my bolshie actions. (But then, she does have Italian blood!).
Ahhh, thanks BL. I'm over it now. I regret sending you those tainted chocolates in the mail. When they arrive, it would be best not to eat the dark ones or the lumpy ones that look like they have nuts. [Two face]

I loved being Mafiosa! The scheming, analyzing and plotting of all those dastardly deeds was great. But the best of all was being able to bounce ideas and thoughts off other members of the famiglia. The camaraderie within the family was most welcome. I found myself thinking about the game during work and telling friends about it. i might have overreacted to BL outing herself in public. i found it an extremely disloyal...thus the chocolates.

I would like to run this by the rest of you and get your opinion: I was not pleased when TGG posted statistics that stated if the Mafia whacked one more citizen, then they would be in the majority. That little revelation let everyone know exactly how many of us were in the Mafia. I think this was information that should never have been revealed in the game until the end. Our numbers were private business. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

TGG: sorry, but because of that little unnecessary revelation, I mailed you some luscious chocolates too. It would be best not to eat them. [Disappointed]

I would like to thank the rest of my dear famiglia for all I learned while being in your esteemed company. LiR is amazing at this game and taught me many lessons. I made charts and graphs up the wazoo just to figure everything out.

And thank you, TGG, for hosting a truly fun game. I had a great time!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all those geckos and salamanders. [Cool]

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ephemera, I'm used to playing with everyone knowing how many detectives, mafiosa etc. exist at the beginning of the game. Probably a bit fakey and may have improved the game to play this way, but I'm sure it makes it rather hard for the citizens to win. I'd rather have a good game than win, but I don't know if everyone would.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5:16 is a pretty steep ratio. Andrew 'Zarf' Plotkin, inventor of the themed version of Mafia known as Werewolf, maintains that 2 bad guys is enough for up to 17 players, and that 3:15 is acceptable for 18 players. (His basic rules feature the detective, known as a seer, but no doctor/watchman/alchemist character.)

I'm hoping to run a themed game of a different sort shortly. The ratio of bad guys to innocents will be lower than this game, but there will be complicating factors (properly explained in advance) to make things interesting for both sides.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good game, well played. Congratulations to the mafia, who were clearly extra cunning and somehow persuaded us to bump innocents off left, right and centre while not making it obvious how (or even if) they were influencing our decisions.

Incidentally, while I appreciate that people are often away from their computers at weekends and that it helps to extend the nomination / voting periods accordingly, I wonder whether I was the only one with the opposite problem? I can't access the Ship while I'm at work, which only left me with however much time I had in the evenings to catch up on who was suspicious of who and which way the votes seemed to be going. Of course, the problem then would be that, if weekday periods were extended, the game would become very drawn out and people could become bored quite quickly. If it's not a problem to anyone else, then no worries, but if anyone can think of a way round it...?

It was a lot of fun, thanks to everyone for playing and The Great Gumby for organising it so well.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
ephemera, I'm used to playing with everyone knowing how many detectives, mafiosa etc. exist at the beginning of the game. Probably a bit fakey and may have improved the game to play this way, but I'm sure it makes it rather hard for the citizens to win. I'd rather have a good game than win, but I don't know if everyone would.

That's interesting. I'm a novice when it comes to this game.

If we are going to vote on this, and I see no one is really asking me for my vote, but if we are...then I vote to keep the numbers secret. Like in real life, no one really knows who anyone really is. Little clues and hints can be given.

For instance, (and I realize this is subtle) but early on in the game, I had my character stop by the bakery and pick up a brioche for breakfast the next day. Brioche is decidedly Italian. It is what Italians eat for breakfast. It was subtle, but it was given.
[Smile]

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks TGG for a really fun game! [Big Grin] You are "da bomb"!

I'm glad I had a chance to whack Sylvander on the shins with my baseball bat! [Devil] And I apologize from the bottom of my heart for believing to the end that Rev. Permin was guilty. [Hot and Hormonal]

Well played, everyone!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to check back in, having just returned from Rome, of all places [Smile]

Enter Lucinda Reede AKA Prima Donna Silvia Conspiratia Screwtape-Berlusconi*, wearing a sumptuous new fur coat and pushing the baby formerly known as Florent in his pram. Little Cesare is gurgling happily and has just discovered the delights of his own toes. He’s too young to understand, but he instinctively knows who the Mamma is, and realises that he’s fallen on his feet (the same ones that have such charming toes) by being adopted into such an influential and tight-knit Family. La famiglia is protective, and the Donna is going to take care of him. I have big plans for my newest charge [Devil]

Now, we need to sort out that baptism. I am most affronted to think that upstart Patrick Permin had been attempting to have him baptised Anglican. The cheek! Little Cesare is headed for great things and I'll have no interference from some woolly-headed vicar. It's true that Dr André suggested that we were an Eastern Orthodox mob**, but with a guardian like Donna Silvia Conspiratia, he is set to become a great, nay legendary mafioso, and I fully intend to give him the best possible credentials. So obviously he needs to be a Roman Catholic. With my connections, I might be able to get the Pope to do the job so that darling Cesare can have the best start in life that a little mobster could wish for [Snigger]

Thanks to the mob for being so much fun behind the scenes. It was a privilege to lie, murder and manipulate with you all.

Did you like my detective work, didja? You see, Gwai, it actually is possible for a determined mobster to talk a lot about strategy and for the whole thing to be a cunningly constructed tissue of whoppers. I actually was sad enough to make a chart of the votes, and realised that it actually didn't prove that much unless you already knew who the mafia were. I then of course set out to make my chart prove what I wanted it to prove... On the equation that led to six mobsters, when I came to an answer that I knew not to be correct, I assumed this to be a result of my shonky maths skills not Gumby slipping up. I wasn't surprised at all when I came to the wrong answer...

*My thanks to Sylvander for his contribution to this delightful moniker [Smile]
**This conversation actually did go on behind the scenes (!) We were concerned that another player didn’t seem to have understood the rules of the game and Andreas wanted to know why we Westerners were so concerned with The Rules™ all the time…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good game - thanks to all the creative players (and organisers) who have once again made Mafia an example of a high quality, entertaining Circus thread.

As stated above, Teufelchen will organise a new themed Mafia thread at some point in the near future.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016