homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What to play with in church (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What to play with in church
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by daviddrinkell:
A four-manual pipe organ does me all right... [Big Grin]

Yeah, but why can't all the children have one, eh?
I'd recommend a harmonica each. Just the thing for any boring bits...
Hahahahaha! That would really put the preacher under pressure to be entertaining!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

- Posted      Profile for Presbyopic   Email Presbyopic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have relatively large population of Native Americans and Koreans in the Presbyterian church in the USA and as a consequences, some of the hymns in our hymn book have Korean or various Native American lyrics printed directly under the English ones.

A favorite thing for my husband and 14 year old son love to do on the days we sing one of those hymns is to sing along in that particular language while the rest of us sing in English. It's not a mocking thing at all, they sing very seriously and well. But have you ever tried to sing a hymn when the person singing beside you is singing completely different lyrics? It's very difficult.

Posts: 699 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presbyopic:
But have you ever tried to sing a hymn when the person singing beside you is singing completely different lyrics? It's very difficult.

Heh heh heh. Have you ever tried singing a hymn when the pianist/organist is playing the tune of a completely different hymn? Once, due to an error of transposition on the hymn number board, I started playing "My God, Accept my heart this day" while the congo were singing "Glorious things of thee are spoken".

So, to add to the list of things to play in church, "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"...

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

- Posted      Profile for Presbyopic   Email Presbyopic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But have you ever tried to sing a hymn when the person singing beside you is singing completely different lyrics? It's very difficult.

Heh heh heh. Have you ever tried singing a hymn when the pianist/organist is playing the tune of a completely different hymn? Once, due to an error of transposition on the hymn number board, I started playing "My God, Accept my heart this day" while the congo were singing "Glorious things of thee are spoken".

During Advent and Christmas our musical director inexplicably had us sing the words of the Doxology to a Christmas hymn instead of it's own perfectly adequate tune, (can't recall which one) but depending on how you looked at it, the Doxology had too many words for the notes or the hymn had too few notes for the words.Every week for over a month the congregation completely butchered the whole thing and ended up falling about laughing. I think she may rethink the whole thing next year.

ETA fixed code

[ 09. January 2010, 21:15: Message edited by: Presbyopic ]

Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

Just remembered the tune.

The Doxology to the tune of O Come O Come Emmanuel.

Try it and see. It doesn't fit very well. But it kept up well entertained for a few week.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presbyopic, that reminds me that one of my friends told me that the church he was going to sang the Doxology to Regent Square during Advent. I thought that would be a bit peculiar.

Which reminds me that I was another "child playing with hymnal" when I was young. I would sing using all the words from the first score (verses one through four, or whatever,) then all the next score and so on down the hymn. Just to mix it up, you see, so I was probably confusing the adults near me. I would also change parts, singing one verse in soprano, the next alto, and tenor and bass. Again, just to mix it up.

I must have been eight or nine Y-O. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In regards to notepads in the pews, I have seen it in a few other churches. I know that for my church, we hoped it would be helpful to adults and children. We also hoped it would help children in particular use the notepads rather than the offering envelopes, because that form of paper for doodling is much cheaper for the church and - let's be honest - there's more of it easily available if they feel the need to keep doodling, rather than using up the whole pew's supply of envelopes. [Yipee] We want the children to feel welcome, yet also want envelopes to be available for other people too. I think in our case, that's a big reason the notepads went into the pews.

Blessings,
Erin

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
QJ
Shipmate
# 14873

- Posted      Profile for QJ   Email QJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a comment on presbyotics foreign singers -
attending church in the bible belt of missouri, the family down the road became happy devout christians and attended church with energy. they were sort of hillbillies. i love to sing from the pews, and when they started up while sitting next to me, well, my brain ground to a halt, i could not think a note. often enought after that they sat near enougth to me that i had to push almost all music out of my head except the piano so i could sing also. i'm sure god loved their singing, but i would want to try a korean minstrel nearby before deciding which is more difficult.
your story is pretty funny though.

--------------------
QJ

Posts: 111 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jedijudy has just reminded me of another hymn singing game I used to play in church as a youngster. I would sing the correct words to the correct tune BUT never slurring any syllables, just singing one syllable to each note of the tune. In this way, depending on the tune, I could often end up way ahead of the congregation, sometimes even getting ahead by a whole verse IIRC. (this needed a tune with lots of slurred syllables and several verses, such as 'O Thou who camest from above'.)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QJ:
as a kid, church was tough to endure and i got pinched a lot by mom. they sang "blessed be the tie that binds" and as the third son and plump, the shirts passed down by my skinny older brother had tight collars enhanced by ties that seemed to bind. as a kid i never understood why those ties were blessed.
games for kids
count the heads. take a paper and put columns for the different kinds of heads.
bald heads
toupees count for two
big hair ladies
ladies with mens hair cuts
ladies with wigs
ladies with root growth needing dye.

Or, better yet - Write a famous poem about what you find on peoples' heads.
Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Freddy R
Shipmate
# 14391

- Posted      Profile for Freddy R   Email Freddy R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An intellectual challenging game during dull sermons: Pick a year - e.g. 2046 - and ask your companion to calculate the date of Easter following the directions in the back of the BCP, but without looking at the table.

--------------------
The night is dark and I am far from home/ Lead Thou me on.

Posts: 107 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

During Advent and Christmas our musical director inexplicably had us sing the words of the Doxology to a Christmas hymn instead of it's own perfectly adequate tune, (can't recall which one) but depending on how you looked at it, the Doxology had too many words for the notes or the hymn had too few notes for the words.Every week for over a month the congregation completely butchered the whole thing and ended up falling about laughing. I think she may rethink the whole thing next year.

Or it'll become a charming and fun new tradition. : )

[Edit: UBB]

[ 14. January 2010, 17:40: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bane-of-piety
Apprentice
# 15267

- Posted      Profile for Bane-of-piety   Email Bane-of-piety   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books. Mountains of books. They’re silent. They’re engaging. Mostly they are ways of silencing the little yard monsters in a way that actually engages the mind.

Of course I am an English teacher so…take my advice on the subject with a grain of salt. Or maybe a gram.

--------------------
My dogma was old and sick...

So, I had it put to sleep :)

Posts: 28 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It happens every time the person putting the words on the screen does them in a different order from the ones in the book. Which is about once a service. [Mad]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would like a Wii with a programme that enables you to hold the handsets, and see yourself on screen saying the Mass, doing the hand-waving etc.

Wish granted!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep the church's books, pay the bills, reimburse people for expenses, etc. I usually read the mail and write the checks during Bible classes and sermons. Keeps me from snoring, if it's a warm day and the topic is milky.

When it's time to sing I do stop that and sing, though.

eta, I've also crocheted baby blankets.

[ 17. January 2010, 19:00: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:
I would like a Wii with a programme that enables you to hold the handsets, and see yourself on screen saying the Mass, doing the hand-waving etc.

Wish granted!
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

Is making bets during a church service some sort of sin even if money doesn't actually change hands during the service?

This morning we sang "Here I am Lord" following the ordination of some Elders. This hymn has a small run of notes after the first line that is meant to be just music, no singing.

I bet my husband 10 bucks that someone would try to start singing the next line of singing during the music only portion. My bet was $10 per verse that this happened. There are 3 verses in the hymn.

Edit some typos

I made twenty bucks [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 17. January 2010, 23:09: Message edited by: Presbyopic ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016