homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: lateral thinking game: (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: lateral thinking game:
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know how many people here have played lateral thinking games before but the idea is that one person gives a cryptic statement and the the others ask yes or no questions to try to figure out what is going on.

Perhaps if this thread goes on very long, the person who solves the puzzle would like to start a new thread for the next puzzle? Otherwise these can get hard to join, but I'll leave that up to the hosts.

So, come ask questions to figure out what's going on. Anyone can ask questions and I'll try to check in regularly to answer them.

She said "Murderer!" So, he started to arrive to class on time.

[ 21. February 2010, 07:18: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Della
Apprentice
# 12190

- Posted      Profile for Della     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had he been killing time?
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2. Was she his teacher?

3. Was she his mother?

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Della:
Had he been killing time?

Nice! But no, not literally at least.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a language class, he'd missed the bit on pronunciation and was murdering the language, so turned up on time the next week and started to get it right?
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
2. Was she his teacher?

3. Was she his mother?

No and no.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It was a language class, he'd missed the bit on pronunciation and was murdering the language, so turned up on time the next week and started to get it right?

That's delightful -- and quite probably better than my solution.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was he the murderer?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was 'she' an alarm clock?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Was he the murderer?

No!

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
Was 'she' an alarm clock?

I like it, but no. They are both humans.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did he hear her correctly?
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Were he and she classmates?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was she accusing someone of having committed murder?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
Did he hear her correctly?

Yes.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was the shout "Murderer!" exclaimed in the context of an actual murder attempt?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Were he and she classmates?

Not relevantly so.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Was she accusing someone of having committed murder?

No! (good question)

(And thus, Bullfrog, the answer to yours is also no.)

[ 06. February 2010, 03:44: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Did the statement "Murderer!" occur in a classroom?

If so...

Were the students in this class under the age of 18?

[ 06. February 2010, 03:48: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was she answering a question?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is Drama (as a subject) involved?

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Was the word "murderer!" a cue in a drama?

--------------------

Master Tubby Bear
Shipmate
# 9739

- Posted      Profile for Master Tubby Bear   Email Master Tubby Bear       Edit/delete post 
Had she just witnessed the death metal band Murderer play a private gig in the first lesson of the day at school, and he thought that there might be further death metal bands lined up for further private gigs in the first lesson of the day at school on subsequent days?

--------------------
In every I Love You there is a Goodbye

Posts: 391 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Sorry, let me just rewrite my last question a bit more clearly:

Was the word "murderer!" a cue in a drama for him to arrive to class on time (in other words, the 'class' was a scene in the drama)?

--------------------

Master Tubby Bear
Shipmate
# 9739

- Posted      Profile for Master Tubby Bear   Email Master Tubby Bear       Edit/delete post 
... and let me guess again if that's OK

Was this some bizarre parallel gothic universe where all the eponymous clocks are called not "cuckoo" clocks and have little birds in that pop out and warble on the hour, but "Murderer" clocks and have little figures of Lizzie Borden's mother in that pop out and accuse their offspring of matricide?

--------------------
In every I Love You there is a Goodbye

Posts: 391 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Okay, I've been trying to post in separate posts to save people back reading to see what I'm referring to, but I have to run and don't have time to fight the flood monitor, so starting with Bullfrog:

No, and to answer your other question, only slightly relevantly yes

No

No

Lol, MTB, but no

That's clearer, but still no

And again, LOL but no.

--------------------

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did she blurt it out while reading the newspaper,and did he overhear her and ask for an explanation?

And was the article about s young man who had dropped out of school, and being unable to find a job with no skills, turned to crime and bad that same young man killed someone during a robbery and did he (the student) resolve then and there to get to school on time, and buckle down snd study in order to avoid that same sad fate?

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Were he and she playing a game?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:
Did she blurt it out while reading the newspaper,and did he overhear her and ask for an explanation?

And was the article about s young man who had dropped out of school, and being unable to find a job with no skills, turned to crime and bad that same young man killed someone during a robbery and did he (the student) resolve then and there to get to school on time, and buckle down snd study in order to avoid that same sad fate?

Good thought but no and no.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Were he and she playing a game?

no

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Did the formerly-tardy individual still live with his or her parents at the time of the question?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

No, and that is quite relevant.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was the word "Murderer" said by a judge to a young delinquent before pronouncing his sentence to a Young Offender's Institute, which then meant that he was taken to classes from his cell - i.e. unable to be late any more?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Visiting parents, boy dropped in to pub for a couple of pints on the way. Lunch is ruined.

"Murderer!" Yells mum. "I know, you. I could murder a pint you say. Only you murdered half a dozen - and your parents' day".

?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

He used to dawdle to school by himself and arrive late, whereas all the other students would either walk together or ride together on the bus and therefore arrive on time. But one day he heard the news that a convict had escaped from the local prison. He found out about this from his sister who was watching this on the TV news in another room at home, and he overhead her shout in disgust "murderer!" Apparently this escaped convict had killed a child who had been walking by himself to school. Fearing that this convict 'on the loose' would attack him while he dawdled to school late, the lazy student decided from then on to travel to school on time with the other students. Is this right?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Just to warn everyone, this isn't something that one person will be able to solve alone. It'll take quite a few questions before someone will be in a place that they can solve. (Comment not directed at anyone in particular.)

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Was the word "Murderer" said by a judge to a young delinquent before pronouncing his sentence to a Young Offender's Institute, which then meant that he was taken to classes from his cell - i.e. unable to be late any more?

I like that reason for non-tardiness, but no.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
Visiting parents, boy dropped in to pub for a couple of pints on the way. Lunch is ruined.

"Murderer!" Yells mum. "I know, you. I could murder a pint you say. Only you murdered half a dozen - and your parents' day".

?

There are metaphors in this, but not that one.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
He used to dawdle to school by himself and arrive late,

mostly true
quote:
whereas all the other students would either walk together or ride together on the bus and therefore arrive on time. But one day he heard the news that a convict had escaped from the local prison. He found out about this from his sister who was watching this on the TV news in another room at home, and he overhead her shout in disgust "murderer!" Apparently this escaped convict had killed a child who had been walking by himself to school. Fearing that this convict 'on the loose' would attack him while he dawdled to school late, the lazy student decided from then on to travel to school on time with the other students. Is this right?
No to the rest.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is he a teacher?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

No, so to save anyone having to ask, I will add that he is a student.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did he ask his teacher whether she had any previous convictions, and when she found out she was a murderer, he decided he'd better not mess her around any more?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

This is a bit of a crazy question, but...

Was his name actually "Murderer"?

--------------------

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did his parents start bringing him to school?

--------------------

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

..and/or was "murderer" a word in a spelling bee?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Did he ask his teacher whether she had any previous convictions, and when she found out she was a murderer, he decided he'd better not mess her around any more?

No

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
This is a bit of a crazy question, but...

Was his name actually "Murderer"?

No, but not a crazy question at all. Lateral thinking puzzles love to pull dirty tricks. But no, no one is named murderer this time.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:
Did his parents start bringing him to school?

No and a bit of a false assumption

quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:..and/or was "murderer" a word in a spelling bee?[/QB]
no

--------------------

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

OK, one more and I'll let someone else play..

Is he a human being?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Yes, he is. (Don't feel you have to quit. This is rather a team game.)

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Is the class in question a school class? A university class? Not an education type class at all? (I'm British, remember, so at a natural disadvantage! [Biased] )

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016