homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking it literally (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking it literally
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But sadly, when the oyster opened, there was no pearl in sight. So I sighed, picked up my things, and went off to find the ghost of the dowager princess. My heart was in my shoes.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shoes of Cinderella, if only she could find her Prince Charming, then life would be a bed of roses.

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With thorns! Ouch! Cinderella sprang to her feet, rapidly donned some road clothes, and joined me in my search for the ghost of the dowager princess. Soon we were as thick as thieves.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Durrr, what's a dowager?" queried Cinderella, bending to crop some succulent poison oak and clumsily attempting to remove my wallet from my hip pocket. I started at the feel of her hand on my bottom and tripped over my shoelaces, which I'd tied to each other in my haste to escape the thorny bed of roses.

From my prone position on the sward I muttered to the ground, "Beats me."

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Haven't you ever Googled?" I scornfully asked Cinderella. But admittedly I was not thinking clearly due to the pain caused by the rose thorns poking through my mattress and the severe beating Cinderella had administered. The pain was considerably enhanced by the burning and itching I felt on my nether regions, Cinderella having generously rubbed poison oak all over them. But that wasn't the first itch I'd ever had to scratch, and somehow I doubted it would be the last.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't. Itches popped up all over the place, and it wasn't until I found a chemist's selling calamine lotion that I was able to get some relief. The only problem was that Cinderella had clumsily removed my wallet from my pocket and now refused to give it back, claiming it had been hers all along, so I was left with just a handful of coins. But the chemist said that a small bottle of calamine lotion wouldn't break the bank.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And it didn't, even though Cinderella hurled it at the brick façade with all her might. Thankfully it didn't break the shatterproof bottle, either, and I was allowed to go on applying it to my itchy locales. Meanwhile Cinderella tapped her foot and made impatient noises like she was late for her own wedding. "Keep your shirt on!" I hollered.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The hell with my shirt," she snarled, "what about my knickers?" "Is that my affair? " I queried, "We are hardly on those terms. All I can suggest, is, don't get your knickers in a twist."

[ 19. September 2009, 20:12: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

But it was too late. There she was, doing the twist, with her knickers on and all. After much prodding I decided she wasn't going to stop, so I continued on my search alone. Losing her company was hardly the end of the world.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First: how you can be prodding someone while they're doing the twist, I don't know; it seems....unseemly. Second: The End of the World as we Know It was announced today, but as of this hour, on the East Coast USA, The Rapture hasn't yet occurred, or at least it hasn't affected me. I thought about hurrying to my closest Mega-Church and throwing myself upon the lavender plush carpet with tears and remorse, but I chickened out.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, what the church elders would think about the eggs I laid in the grounds outside the church was an interesting thought but I didn't allow that to worry me for long. I scratched up a few worms and bits of seed to keep me going and headed out of the churchyard without ever making it through the doors of the church. Now I had to decide, was I going to continue my quest or give up and go home for a nice cup of tea? I was on the horns of a dilemma.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With respect to Anne Rice, this wasn't as exciting a place to be as might have been expected. The horns caught me squarely amidships, and tossed me lightly aside into the nearest ditch. This being full of the previous week's monsoon rains, I promptly sank to the bottom, and emerged, dripping, and covered in weed. The Monster from the Swamp was nothing to it.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And being nothing, it really wasn't a problem at all. So I grabbed a latte at the nearest Starbucks and headed for work. When I walked in the door I was alarmed by the expression on my boss's face. "We're drowning in red ink!" she said.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And indeed it was true. Some malicious fiend had pulled the stoppers out of every single barrel of red ink stored in the attic of the offices and the bloodlike torrent that was pouring down the staircase threatened to consume everything in its path. Grabbing a lifejacket from my pocket (well, I was a boy scout, after all), I threw it to my boss and then dived bravely into the scarlet waves, swimming until I was positioned above the trapdoor to the cellar and diving down to open it, thus releasing the ink into the gaping cavern below where it was safely contained. "Surely after this heroic act," I thought to myself as I made my way back to my boss, "she'll think I'm the cat's whiskers and promote me on the spot."

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, I was only one of the cat's many whiskers, the cat in question being of such overwhelming fluffiness that a team of mere brushers was deemed to be insufficient.

"Stand right...there" said my boss beamingly "as I promote you from Cat Whisker to Head of Cat Maintenance!"

I knew I should be on top of the world, but instead I was down in the dumps.

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dumps had quite a lot going for them, if I held my nose and trod carefully. Within half an hour I'd accumulated a variety of interesting things - a small piece of a grandfather clock, a fragment of Victorian china, a Botswana postage stamp, a dirty magazine and a perfectly good egg sandwich, still in its unopened wrapping. Encouraged by my discoveries I climbed back up out of the dumps and got back to my desk with my trophies. I'd shown initiative and research capability at at least level 2 in finding a possible recycling opportunity for the company - now I was going to run this up the flagpole and see if my boss saluted it.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sadly, I'd overlooked my fear of heights. Half way up the flagpole my stomach revolted, discharging, among other things, the egg sandwich, half a pint of cider and a chocolate brownie. Over my boss. What price promotion now? Dear God, what a pig's breakfast.

[ 28. September 2009, 21:41: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could see the rampant nature of the porcine’s approach to breaking fasts and from the meagre nature of the breakfast that there was never going to be enough in the immediate surroundings to satisfy this particular baconian growth expert. Unless, of course, the said even-toed ungulate turned its piggy-eyed attention towards the sole observer in the vicinity, to wit, the gentle author.

‘Wabbit,’ I said to myself, as the full extent of my potential impending misfortune was borne in upon me, “Time to get myself hence, forthwith and with due alacrity.”

Waiting not upon the order of my going, I made like a horse at market that had just been feagued, carried my tail well, and made like the wind.

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making wind, a smell of rotting eggs filled the room. "He did it!" I wailed, pointing to the pig. But nobody was convinced, especially my boss, still covered with the pig's breakfast. Everyone glared at me with daggers in their eyes.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sadly this rendered them all blind. But it was good for me, for it enabled me (and the pig) to make my escape. Off we went, running at full tilt.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

"Are you any good at tilting?" I gasped to the pig as we galloped along. "No," he replied, "but there's a tilter hurtling towards us who may well be!" As the titler charged , thunderously in our direction a little voice told me that all was not well.

[ 29. October 2009, 16:02: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“Well d’uh”, I replied to the voice, in my best sarcastic tone. “Don’t blame me”, the voice replied, close to tears, “I’m only little.” Ignoring the annoying disembodied whine, I quickly switched from full tilt to 1/8th tilt, thus confusing the Tilter, who went for my unfortunate porcine companion instead. There was a horrible squealing sound and a smell of burnt fat. I felt like throwing up again.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

But elected instead to throw the pig onto the barbecue which had materialised at my side. Servitors hastened to provide me with salds and sauces. "It's a quick cook barbie," they reassured me;" You won't have to wait long. Meanwhile, have a drink. You look parched." I fell on the nearest bottle of red.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Which shattered into multiple pieces, leaving me as parched as ever. "Can you get me another bottle? I promise I won't break it," I said to the nearest servitor. "Oh no," said the servitor. "I know your kind and am not going to allow you to break another bottle. Once bitten, twice shy."

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was obvious that both episodes of diffidence were behind him, as he stood threateningly between me and the wine rack, a large chunk missing from his left cheek which a previous patron had eaten while waiting for bbqd spare ribs. "Alright", he relented, "Would you like a Shiraz Viognier, a Grenache Cabernet Merlot or a Pinot Noir?" This was all Greek to me.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All Greek to you, eh?" Then I expect to see all the folks at this pig BBQ (by the way, creating a lot of anxiety and milling about in my little flock) chugging down Retsina with abandon. You know Retsina...bottled turpentine, which people pretend to enjoy drinking. If you ask me, it's all a bunch of crap.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Crap by the bunch can only be found in the Little Shop of Horrors, from which I fled. spraying room deodoriser with gay abandon as I went. "Lead me to lilies, tuberoses, anything with a decent perfume," I called in desperation. The only answer was an echoing silence.

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I paused to consider this acoustic paradox, which was abruptly broken by the rat-tat-tat of a badly tuned and unskilfully played kettle drum. A lone drummer strode into sight, paused at my side marking time, gestured to his instrument by inclining his head to the left, and said wheedlingly, "You can have my timpani if you play your cards right".

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I had a pair of jacks, ace high. I discarded the 8 and the queen, and signaled the dealer for two. They were a 4 and another ace. Two pair, aces and jacks. Not bad. I moved a red chip onto the table.

Suddenly the doors flew open and the police burst in. "Put your hands in the air!" shouted the loudest police officer. "And don't move, or you'll get what for!"

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Pondering for a moment how to put my hands in the air without moving, I realised that my hands were already in air, even though they were by my sides. It wasn't enough for the officer, though, as my eyelids were clearly moving. "WHAT FOR?" he shouted at me, mercilessly. I was glued to the spot.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

As you can imagine this was really annoying. I had a bottle of solvent in my pocket, as I never travel without it (as with a piece of string, paperclip and rubber band, you know you'll want it if you haven't got it) but the spot itself wasn't one I liked. It was a large fluorescent lime green spot of irregular shape and ragged edges, in short it had no redeeming aesthetic qualities whatsoever, and I emphatically didn't want to be associated with it in any way. Accordingly I poured the solvent generously around my glued area and waited for it to take effect - which it did in a flash.

[ 02. November 2009, 11:32: Message edited by: Ariel ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Which had the effect of striking the cop with lightning. I hurried past his charred figure, thinking that at least he'd acquired a permanent cure for flatulence. Now my next problem was how to cut the Gordian knot and escape from the predicament I was in.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Fortunately I had a tiny box-cutter concealed in my hair comb, with which I sliced and undid hat knot. All the time I was most uncomfortable with that melted polyester stuck to my bumm. I was a nervous wreck, and felt like any moment I was gonna toss my cookies.

--------------------
Oinkster

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And sure enough I stumbled over some object on the floor, and the tray of two dozen snickerdoodles I was carrying went flying through the air. These hit the backup cop, who was just coming to see what was keeping his partner from their usual 10:30 donut date, smack in the face. "You're in trouble now," he roared. "When the judge gets through with you, you'll be singing a different tune."

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

"I can do that now," I tweeted, switching from "Oh dear, what can the matter be?" to "There could be trouble tonight" in a flash. Then, in a burst of inspiration, I told him in song:"Hey man, get offa my cloud."

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

"Cumulonimbus", I heard him mutter into his radio to the DA's office, and I knew that it was only a matter of time before they found a statute they could book me with. I ran like the wind.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Which is to say, I kept running into trees and bending them over. Finally I ran into one so hard I knocked myself out. When I came to I was in a jail cell with a very large man, who handed me something suspicious-looking and said, "Hey bro, try this. It's real kick-ass."

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Sure enough, in a corner of the cell, I saw a donkey which clearly belonged to my cellmate and so, in accordance with his instructions, I placed the item carefully on the end of my shoe and used it to aim a forceful kick at the poor creature. The donkey flew through the air and against the bars of the cell with such force that they bucked, leaving just enough space for me to squeeze through. This was indeed fortunate, as for some strange reason my cellmate did not seem to appreciate my compliance and turned rather hostile towards me. I made my exit post haste.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which, considering how fast posts tend to move, was really very slowly. It was fortunate, therefore, that at that very moment, Oprah came on the TV and distracted my cellmate with her usual upbeat mix of interviews, book reviews and heart-warming stories. But, once outside the cell, I realized I had another problem on my hands, as there were several prison guards running down the corridor. I was a deer in the headlights as they charged.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

But no! So far from being a deer, I was a stag with an identity crisis. Following the principle of charge them before they charge you, I lowered my head and went for them. They scattered like chaff in the wind.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

And, a breezy day is just what you want for winnowing grain. I slipped into a Russian peasant costume and joined in with the happy, simple country folk, tossing the grain up into the air, and watching the chaff blow out the end of the huge barn. Everything was Ha-Ha and Ho-Ho until some police-types in a horse-drawn Paddy Wagon pulled up, and I cringed, and tried to look inconspicuous. The Nasty-looking Major-Domo said to his henchmen, "O let them alone, with all that potato liquor they're swilling, they'll be three sheets to the wind by sunset."

--------------------
Oinkster

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

The drawcords of my kosovorotka flapping wildly in the stiff breeze, I hurtled away from the druzhina, not pausing until I was certain that they were no longer following. Stopping to draw breath outside a small monastery, I was startled by an Orthodox priest who emerged and greeted me in perfectly accented French, "Hello my little cabbage cabbage".

--------------------

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upon hearing this utterance, I narrowed my eyes to check myself, then checked the man in black in front of me to see if I was still in the world that I thought I was in. I have been called many things before, but only once a cabbage and that was by a tutor who suffered from dyspepsia and gout which naturally soured his disposition to all mankind. His fondness for cabbage is well known to me, so to this day I still couldn’t be sure that when he called me a cabbage whether it was a term of endearment or a put down. Now to be called cabbage twice with an echo…

Even more importantly…

<Cue music: Dum Di Dum Dum…rimshot.>… I thought he was dead…

Is this my past coming back to haunt me?

[ 05. November 2009, 12:35: Message edited by: Pooks ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Slipping into the world of flashback I relived the pig barbecue, fortunately not as the pig. "Is this TRW or sci-fi fantasy?" I asked myself. But that previously helpful still small voice from an earlier life was silent as the grave.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Silent as the grave, that is, on a sunny day with lots of birds in the trees, the groundskeeper mowing the lawn, and visiting mourners wailing and saying prayers. Indeed it was downright noisy, so the pig's ghost and I left the churchyard and headed on down the road in the direction indicated by the priest. Soon we were happy and cheerful, and figured we had ditched the cops for good.

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

Our jollity was short-lived, as from the roadside trench there rose a white-garbed spectre which adjured my porky pal and me:

"I am the angel Gabriel! Pour away that vodka, extinguish those cigars, stop playing Creedence Clearwater Revival on your iPods and put on Bing Crosby!"

"Why, you sanctimonious creep!" the pig exploded.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Feeling that there were neater and less messy ways to register a protest, I wiped of splashes of exploded pig with water from the ditch. "Did you really mean that?" I quavered at the ghost. "No," he snarled. "I'm Rook, and I was just being crotchety."

[ 07. November 2009, 20:23: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was, of course, making a rather overdone reference to the "bare ruined choirs" that rooks traditionally inhabit. But they usually look more like semi-demi-quavers than crotchets, with their ragged feathers an' all. When I pointed this out to him he was miffed. Actually, I don't think he had any idea where I was coming from.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

It turned out that he knew precisely where I was coming from, given that he was a (good) angel, and not a ghost as has been misrepresented by some writers. He offered to drown the pursuing police in the waters of the Black Sea, but I pointed out that they had loved ones who depended on them for financial and emotional support. "You're right", he replied at length, "Bugger 'em".

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

"Not me!" I retorted swiftly. "I've neither the equipment nor the desire. You're supposed to be a good angel; you bugger them." But, surprise, surprise, they had wisely fled. "OK", conceded the angel, I'll just label them in candy floss pink instead." "Spoken like a true Fluffy Bunny," I replied.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016