homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Lost my Star Trek virginity (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Lost my Star Trek virginity
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years I put it off. Years! Finally it has happened---I have watched the original Star Trek.

I have watched the episode of the Companion and pondered the nature of love.

I have watched the episode with the Greek gods.

I have even watched the episode in which Kirk and Spock are chased by a large housecat named Sylvia.

And now I am feeling sort of odd. Sort of---empty.

What happens now?

[ 02. March 2011, 20:20: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have years of DVDs to watch. Live long and prosper!

[ 09. February 2010, 01:11: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are lots of novels out there. The latest ones are generally much better as the authors don't have to contend with movies or TV shows disrupting their story arcs. And Pocket Books likes serials.

Some of the books are actually not-pulp cr*p.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Live long and prosper!

See, that phrase scares the shit out of me. I associate it with entire convention centers full of adults in costume.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you will become One with the Geek Colllective™.

If you want to see the movies, I recommend Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek V1: The Undiscovered Country.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Two" is probably the best, but I always have liked Star Trek IV, the one with the whales. Having taken a stolen Klingon battlecruiser equipped with a cloaking device and landed it in Golden Gate Park, Kirk utters the best line of the film: "Now, everyone, remember where we're parked."

Star Trek films are the opposite of Beethoven Symphonies -- the even numbered ones are the best.

Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Yes, you will become One with the Geek Colllective™.

If you want to see the movies, I recommend Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek V1: The Undiscovered Country.

But for God's sake, if you value your sanity, DO NOT WATCH Star Trek V: The Final Frontier! [Eek!] [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even worse, "Star Trek the Motion Picture"...otherwise known as "Where Nomad has Gone Before". [Disappointed]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
quote:
Live long and prosper!

See, that phrase scares the shit out of me. I associate it with entire convention centers full of adults in costume.
Something like this?
Now that you've crossed the first hurdle, you get to move on to the various incarnations, such as "Star Trek: The Next Generation," which includes one of my favorite TV episodes of all time, "Darmok." Seriously, you must get the DVD with this episode. It's a deeply moving story of nobility, leadership, and sacrifice.

And I agree about the Star Trek IV film. You'd like it. It's probably the least Star Trekkish of the film series, and the tale of the whales is very satisfying.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Yes, the even films are best. II is even acknowledged to be good science fiction aside from Trek. VI is a good romp, though not to my taste.

III is passable

I (The Motion Picture) and V are cr*p. V flopped at the box office.

The Next Generation's Star Trek: First Contact (VIII) is third best. Good all-round, but a bit fannish. Last good Star Trek movie IMO. The next two TNG films were not great and showed that the series was getting long in the tooth.

TNG's "The Drumhead" and "Measure of a Man" are both excellent, intelligent and enrapturing. Coincidentally both were "bottle episodes", cheaper episodes without expensive alien ships or planet scenes using existing ship sets.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So those relied on, like, the story. [Smile]

I will, given opportunity, watch anything Star Trek, anything at all. At least the once. Just 'cause it's Star Trek. And I'll pick up any Star Trek novel, and will finish it, given the chance. Of course it's only the best I'll buy and keep and re-read or re-run.

But for numbers of episodes that had a lot to offer, and frequently made a decent story just as sci-fi, I liked DS9 best.

Doesn't hurt that I'm fond of Michael Dorn, Rene Auberjonois and Avery Brooks. [Biased]

[ 09. February 2010, 04:08: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Even worse, "Star Trek the Motion Picture"...otherwise known as "Where Nomad has Gone Before". [Disappointed]

[brick wall] NOOOOOooooooo!!!

"Row, Row, Row Your Boat" took Star Trek V right through the wormhole of dreck to a realm where Humans Are Not Meant to Go.

Mommy? [Waterworks]

ETA: And it doesn't hurt that Benjamin Sisko's family has a restaurant in New Orleans, does it? Actually, as a whole, I liked Deep Space Nine best, too.

[ 09. February 2010, 04:11: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Trekkie-verse! [Smile]

I disagree re the movies. At some point, start with the first one, and eventually watch all of them. The first one picks up some story threads of the original series, and threads from the movie are picked up in the later movies.

However, you might want to pace yourself a bit! Once you've eventually watched the original series, take a break, then watch the movies one at a time.

Live long and prosper! K'plach!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And when you've watched them all, you can watch Galaxy Quest and laugh yourself silly.

I agree IV is the most fun of the movies. I'll be visiting Seaworld this December, and I just know I will be dying to tell someone 'They are not the hell your whales'...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Live long and prosper!

And what's wrong with that, pray tell [Paranoid] [Big Grin] Wonderful things, conventions...
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm adding a Star Trek convention to my bucket list. I'm also finally adding Deep Space Nine to my nursing home list after I watched the first episode while ironing t'other night. If I'm ever forced to sit still it's among the DVDs I must have playing for at least four hours a day.

Cattyish, planning ahead.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess I'm a Trekkie. I have the complete DVD set of Deep Space Nine.

Last Sunday on Virgin 1 they showed the very last episode followed immediately by the the first episode. It was interesting to see how the characters had changed over the whole series.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DS9 was certainly an inspired series. Votes also for Star Trek II and IV as being the best of the movies, though the most recent one was fun.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What you really need, if you intend to become a Trekkie, is a copy of this book so you can impress all your friends and relations with your knowledge of Star Trek bloopers. Or you could watch each episode twenty times frame by frame and spot all of them yourself... [Biased]

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Unjust Stuart
Shipmate
# 13953

- Posted      Profile for Unjust Stuart   Email Unjust Stuart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try "Blake's 7" for a mirror-image of the Federation of Planets as villains (not a Mirror, Mirror image).

Or "Babylon 5", which is similar to Star Trek but Not The Same.

--------------------
Forty years long was I grieved with this generation and said.

Posts: 281 | From: Hendon. Finchley. Around there. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:

Last Sunday on Virgin 1 they showed the very last episode followed immediately by the the first episode. It was interesting to see how the characters had changed over the whole series.

I'm devoted to Virgin 1's afternoon Star Trek programme - weekday afternoons from 2-5 pm daily, TNG followed by Voyager followed by DS9!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an odd series. I watched all the original episodes and still have the books somewhere, and a model of the Enterprise built from an Airfix kit (which wouldn't stand up), and a bunch of indelible memories of tribbles, and pon farr, the Vulcan salute and the Spock pinch, and so on.

It was a long time before I started watching the later series. DS9 is better than Voyager - more interesting, quirky, likeable characters, although it is a bit soap-opera-ish. The films are mostly watchable - I don't remember one that wasn't.

Dip in and enjoy and welcome to the Trekiverse.

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Bab 5 was a fantastic series. Shame they stopped it.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rubbish at Star Trek. I like all the wrong stuff. But I'm with those who say watch everything. There'll be something you like.

Among the movies, I've not seen anyone mention "Generations" yet. I loved it. The Star Trek world hated "Nemesis". I loved it. Fandom seems generally to deem the "Voyager" series a mess. Guess what? I want to be Capt. Janeway when I grow up.

I like TNG, a lot. For a start, Patrick Stewart is a brilliant actor. (Has he been knighted yet? If not, why not?) The scripts are often intelligent and thoughtful, which isn't to say the original series scripts weren't, it's just that they were ... well, another generation.

I've never watched DS9, mostly because whenever I give it a go, I pick an episode that's part-way through a complex story arc and I just get lost.

But to return to Voyager - how do I love thee? Let me count the ways ... 70,000 light-years from home, hologram doctor, handsome first officer in touch with the spirit world, eyebrow-twitching Vulcan, captain who's the reincarnation of Katherine Hepburn (looks and voice - check it out, she's eerie), tame Borg, the Borg Queen, the Year of Hell, Counterpoint, the Haunting of Deck whatever-it-was, macroviruses, time paradoxes that go on and on till your brain twitches, a war that exists only in people's dreams, Amelia Earheart, and of course Endgame.

Wow. Watch some Voyager.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ST the original series was good, because it was the first. Of the spin-offs, I liked TNG, but couldn't stand DS9 or Voyager.

Of the movies, indeed the even ones are best, but you need to watch them in order since some of them carry a story line previously developed in another movie.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ever thankful that I got to experience the "Star Trek Experience" in Las Vegas before they closed it down. Too bad, too, since I wanted to experience the "Experience" again!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I'm rubbish at Star Trek. I like all the wrong stuff. But I'm with those who say watch everything. There'll be something you like.

Among the movies, I've not seen anyone mention "Generations" yet. I loved it. The Star Trek world hated "Nemesis". I loved it.

I'm much the same. Well, I do agree with the general hate for ST:V ... terribly boring. But I like almost all the other movies, including some of the TNG movies -- "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" particularly -- that get dissed by fans and critics.

quote:
Fandom seems generally to deem the "Voyager" series a mess. Guess what? I want to be Capt. Janeway when I grow up.

I'm also on board with this. I loved "Voyager." After watching "Battlestar Galactica" I do sort of agree with Ron Moore's criticism of Voyager -- it was just too clean and fresh and easy for a crew of people who were supposed to be stranded on the other side of the Galaxy, far from home and resources. There were many times Voyager took the easy way out and the "Gilligan's Island in Space" aspect did get frustrating at times -- anytime it seemed they'd found a wormhole or some other shortcut back to the Alpha Quadrant, you knew it was turn out to fail or be a hoax. But for all that I still loved the characters and the stories. I think Kathryn Janeway was possibly the most kick-ass Star Trek captain of them all, and I loved almost all her crew.

quote:
For a start, Patrick Stewart is a brilliant actor. (Has he been knighted yet? If not, why not?)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he just became Sir Patrick at the beginning of this year.

quote:
The scripts are often intelligent and thoughtful, which isn't to say the original series scripts weren't, it's just that they were ... well, another generation.

The original series had its moments, but I find that, like old Doctor Who, it's most enjoyable for mockery purposes. Just the clunky special effects and stilted acting are funny enough in and of themselves, but then you have stellar examples of kitsch like "Spock's Brain" ...

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

But to return to Voyager - how do I love thee? Let me count the ways ... 70,000 light-years from home, hologram doctor, handsome first officer in touch with the spirit world, eyebrow-twitching Vulcan, captain who's the reincarnation of Katherine Hepburn (looks and voice - check it out, she's eerie), tame Borg, the Borg Queen, the Year of Hell, Counterpoint, the Haunting of Deck whatever-it-was, macroviruses, time paradoxes that go on and on till your brain twitches, a war that exists only in people's dreams, Amelia Earheart, and of course Endgame.

Wow. Watch some Voyager.

On the downside - it had Neelix.

[Frown]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

[Frown]

Yes, that was one of the reasons why I stopped watching it.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

[Frown]

Yes, that was one of the reasons why I stopped watching it.
We called him A*!*licks in our household, due to the way he was cosying up to the captain for her favour in the first few seasons.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

He was sort of like the Ferengi without the balls.

--------------------

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grew up watching TOS on re-runs, and love it! Adore Patrick Stewart in TNG (agree about the episode Darmok!). I never had much liking for DS9, although I liked the Sisko. Love Janeway on Voyager, but have little to no use for Chakotay (he always seems too likely just to stand somewhere, and didn't inflect the lines that could have been dry or sarcastic or understated or something. They just fell flat.).

Definitely watch Galaxy Quest after having watched a sampling of the Star Trek universe.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, I agree about "Darmok". When I saw that episode, I just stared at the screen for a few minutes, then said "YES! They finally got it right!"

I think I was so excited at what I'd seen that I hardly slept that night.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend just e-mailed me a picture of the Cupola for the International Space Station. Apparently some are calling it Ten-Forward. [Big Grin]

A lot of my secret crushes were on the various ST shows. Worf, Picard, Spock...hubba-hubba!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A lot of my secret crushes were on the various ST shows. Worf, Picard, Spock...hubba-hubba!
Ah Star Trek crushes! My mother liked both Kirk and Spock. I likely pre-beard Riker very slightly in my teens*. My uncle liked Major Kira in DS9 (she of the figure-hugging jump suit).

*who is Catholic IRL (random fact of the week)

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
Ah Star Trek crushes!

Julian Bashir. (I wonder if anyone will admit to Quark or Neelix?)
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

10 points if you can figure out how "Trouble with Tribbles" incorporated a reference to Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. [Big Grin]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Fuckin' A!

Sir Patrick is a particularly enduring one [Yipee] mmmm...

Oh, sorry, where was I?

TNG is my specialist Star Trek subject, and although I haven't watched Trek of any breed in anger for ages, I still feel like I'm coming home when I see TNG, Voyager, DS9, or Classic Trek.

Best film? First Contact, without a shadow of a doubt, for me. I went to see if in the cinema for the first time when almost everyone there was a Trekker, and many were in uniform, etc. There were pitched phaser battles in the aisles during the adverts and trailers, and the cinema laughed uproriously at the in-jokes "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop..." [Killing me]

Darmok is an episode I remember, but didn't count as an all time favourite - it was good though. Favourite TNG episodes would include the already mentioned "Measure of a Man", along with "All Good Things...", where I cry, every time, "Skin of Evil", where I cry, every time, "All Our Yesterdays", many of the Klingon episodes... oh, lots, really.
The only downer in TNG was the irritating Nestle Crunchbar [Wesley Crusher], who was a pain in the arse.

I might stop now, before I get carried away!

I reckon I could be an officer on a Starfleet ship. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
10 points if you can figure out how "Trouble with Tribbles" incorporated a reference to Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. [Big Grin]

Would that be where quadrotriticale was grown? [Biased]

[Bred? produced? raised?]

[ 09. February 2010, 23:56: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Actually Mr. Spock goes on to say that that "magic wheat" was a cross of Red Fife and Hard Red Calcutta, which is Marquis Wheat. Red Fife originates here on the farm of David Fife.

A write robbed an encyclopedia for his script.

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Darmok. I used to know the co-writer of that episode, Phillip Lezebnik. A brilliant script, one of the best, IMHO, to come out of American television in the last 20 years.

A friend of mine, Kurt Webster, who is the pastor of the Encino Presbyterian Church, put on a Sunday evening series of talks last year about the theology of Star Trek. The one that my wife and I were able to attend featured the fascinating and extremely intelligent Armin Shimerman, who played Quark. While I never enjoyed DS9 as much as TNG, hearing Armin discuss his character and the theology of the Ferengi was great fun.

Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

DS9 did wonderful things with the Ferengi. TNG never found a good use for them.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched the first television series. After that I tuned out. My sister used to feed my baby niece in front of the TV so the baby could watch the reruns. Every time she opened her mouth in amazement my sister snuck another spoonful of peas in.

She never noticed.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And now I am feeling sort of odd. Sort of---empty.

But was it okay for you, dear?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely no one mentions the animated series, which for many years was the only follow-on from the original. Same setting and characters as the original, but while the animation was basic the fact that it was just drawing let it expand to something really science fictional: planetscapes that really were planetary, non-humanoid aliens on the crew etc.

Plus it had a very funny tribbles sequel.

Also The New Voyages are well worth a look. This is amateur fan storymaking, of the type that Galaxyquest lampooned, with fans acting out the parts of the original crew: but, they take it seriously enough and do it well enough to be on the Hugos shortlist from time to time.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another nice bit of TNG is the occasional appearance of Whoopi Goldberg as the bartender/"listener" Guinan. According to Goldberg, she approached Gene Roddenberry about having a tiny part in the series as a way of expressing her gratitude for the character of Lt. Uhura in the original series. She says that, as a little girl, she was inspired by Uhura's character -- an officer on the ship, smart as well as beautiful -- who was at the time the only African-American actress on TV who literally wasn't playing someone's maid.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best episode of the Animated Series for me was the one by Dorothy Fontana. She said (at a convention I was at, many years ago) that she wanted to write a story about the death of a pet, and wrote an episode where Spock goes back in time and meets his seven year old self, at the time when his pet sehlat dies.

Meanwhile, up the thread, Unjust Stuart mentioned Blake's Seven. There was a wonderful episode of DS9 which was a direct take off of Blake's Seven. Sisko went to an alternate universe where the Cardassians were still in charge of the space station - he was Blake, O'Brien was Vila, and I seem to remember Major Kira doing a rather good version of Servalan! Great fun.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
The best episode of the Animated Series for me was the one by Dorothy Fontana. She said (at a convention I was at, many years ago) that she wanted to write a story about the death of a pet, and wrote an episode where Spock goes back in time and meets his seven year old self, at the time when his pet sehlat dies.

I loved that one! I have the animated series on DVD, and haven't re-watched all of them, yet. But I did watch that one.

Larry Nivin's Kzinti also appeared in the ST animated series. Years after seeing the cartoon, I read one of the books, which was very close to the ST story. It took me a while to understand why I had cartoonish pictures in my head while reading the story!

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:

I'm devoted to Virgin 1's afternoon Star Trek programme - weekday afternoons from 2-5 pm daily, TNG followed by Voyager followed by DS9!
Ditto when I'm off ill! The same voyager is shown at 7pm and at the weekend you get Voyager from 12 on a Sat and DS9 from 12 on a Sunday. Though they must have just got to the end of DS9 as the last one I saw was the first half of the final episode.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I'm working, but I record them to watch in the evening (and transfer them to DVD if I want to keep them).

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016