homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Pope announces plans for Anglicans to convert in groups (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Pope announces plans for Anglicans to convert in groups
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Given the fashion for public apologies for things done by our ancestors, maybe we Anglicans should give back to the RCC the buildings we stole from them at the Reformation.

Ken will surely be along in a minute with his standard argument that proves to his entire satisfaction that they weren't stolen.

Nevertheless, the reality is that we don't want them back, thanks: the upkeep would be far too expensive.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trouty:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Given the fashion for public apologies for things done by our ancestors, maybe we Anglicans should give back to the RCC the buildings we stole from them at the Reformation.

Maybe if they were to repay the money spent on the upkeep of these churches since that time.
Only of we could set against those monies, the chantry Mass stipends that were appropriated at the time.

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear a sound in the background.... "Cha-ching!!!!" and soon after that sound, I hear the swish of a scourge of small cords whooshing through the air, tables being overturned, general chaos....

[/tangent]

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, things are tough all over. We can't get this one back either, minus the added enhancements....

background music

[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

With greater clarity among all on building ownership, we might even have less desecration of godly spiritual edifices with power-point screens and amplifiers.

Without the evangelical renewal of the CofE over the past 20 years even more such buildings would have been declared surplus and sold off for luxury flats.

Surprisingly enough Archdeacons and Chancellors increasingly tend to take the view that it is better to 'desecrate' a place of worship in use with some modern equipment than to knock it down.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Ken will surely be along in a minute with his standard argument that proves to his entire satisfaction that they weren't stolen.

Just cos you don't like it doesn't stop it being true.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

Just cos you don't like it doesn't stop it being true.
'Certo, to be sure', as we say 'round here.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:

With greater clarity among all on building ownership, we might even have less desecration of godly spiritual edifices with power-point screens and amplifiers.

Without the evangelical renewal of the CofE over the past 20 years even more such buildings would have been declared surplus and sold off for luxury flats.

Not to mention past 'desecrations' with pews, pipe organs, hymn books, screens, eagles, pulpits, vain memorials, etc.

I used to worship in a church with a less than practical altar cross with the words inscribed 'To the Glory of God, and in memory of so-and-so ...... who died on the xxth of month 19**'

The text wrapped round the cross base so the text on the front read:

'To the Glory of God who died on the xxth of month 19**'

Give me power-point any day!

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:

Surprisingly enough Archdeacons and Chancellors increasingly tend to take the view that it is better to 'desecrate' a place of worship in use with some modern equipment than to knock it down.

Not wishing to further derail a thread which has begun to resemble a major railway junction, I am not certain that I see the connexion between an evangelical revival in the English church and these horrid things. They are certainly common enough in churches of various leanings, and are to be found disfiguring many RC churches-- a nicely carved statue of Saint Viateur in Casselman, Ontario now sits behind an amplifier where the heat from the apparatus is now degrading its Victorian paint work. As of yet, the Orthodox seem spared (but this may be on account of their not having hooked up their churches to electricity).
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interrupting this serious discussion to ask if anyone else heard the fabulous Midge Benn "The Pope Wants Vicars" song on Friday night's Now Show

Available on Listen Again here about 25 minutes in (ie just before the end)

[I was going to quote a few lines, but they didn't come across very well - really need to hear the whole thing]

I caught it on Friday night and laughed and laughed and then my mind went immediately to this thread. Enjoy. Or hate.

But it does give an interesting insight into how the outside world (albeit the R4 version of the outside world) is perceiving the whole thing.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

For sure, every vicar needs to know that the R4 World is out there, in every Church. They'd better be ready! Thanks, Yangtse!

Mary

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Apologies for suffering from British spelling syndrome, needed for my w*rk, but affecting my typing of your Ship Name, dear Yangtze! [Hot and Hormonal]

Mary
(aware that the R4 world also exists in the U.S. [Ultra confused] )

[ 01. December 2009, 14:39: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now have a 10yo daughter, shocked at the mention of vaginas [Hot and Hormonal]

Very funny! [Devil]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to resist the temptation to go there, but after your post, Loveheart, I just had to find out what it was all about!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
bonabri
Shipmate
# 304

- Posted      Profile for bonabri   Email bonabri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many "pagans" will be knocking on church doors demanding their temples back soon?

[ 01. December 2009, 15:57: Message edited by: bonabri ]

Posts: 274 | From: Brighton and Hove, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there's the Pantheon, for a start, just down the road from Benny the Rat himself!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

I used to know an Orthodox Christian priest who thought that the echo in the marble concourse of a large railroad station would make that railroad station ideal for a Paschal Divine Liturgy.

So if somebody wants a church back, there's always the railway station!

Mary

[ 01. December 2009, 17:09: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I always thought it a pity (well, it is anyway) that Battersea Power Station has been left in ruins- would have made a splendid cathedral.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as Liverpool Cathedral (same architect) would make a splendid railway station. Just think, we could do a swap with Liverpool Central: great cathedral for the postmodernist world. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

See how creative we can be when we set our minds to it?

[Cool]

--------------------

Christian Agnostic
Shipmate
# 14912

- Posted      Profile for Christian Agnostic   Email Christian Agnostic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all the pope wants is better church music/church musicians.

--------------------
Words to the wise: Don't read Kierkegaard when you're 16, and always set B.S. detectors to 11. "How can I sing a strange song in the Lord's land?"

Posts: 493 | From: The Great North Woods | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And I always thought it a pity (well, it is anyway) that Battersea Power Station has been left in ruins- would have made a splendid cathedral.

I thought it became the tate modern ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oremus
Shipmate
# 13853

- Posted      Profile for Oremus   Email Oremus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Tate Modern is Bankside,
Posts: 221 | From: Our Lady's Dowry (Catford Branch) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016