homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Second openly gay bishop in ECUSA (very likely) (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Second openly gay bishop in ECUSA (very likely)
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
It's a cause of grief not gain.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Conservatives don't want to fight to keep gay couples in other churches from being blessed, but the poor souls battle on selflessly anyway? If they're not gaining anything, then why not just leave gay people be, which is all we're asking for? Who had a gun to Geoff Chapman's head?
This is a pretty stupid post by any standards. First, I'm told that my theological objections are all about power, and now I have this telling me that what other Anglicans do/believe/say is none of my concern.

(BTW, who is Geoff Chapman anyway?)

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard:
a refusal on the grounds of practice is logically distinct from one on the grounds of desire, which is what orientation is about.

But we don't know her practice, do we? For that matter, how much do we know of anyone else's practice?

Furthermore, I don't recall what the Bible has to say against Lesbian practice. Could you refresh my memory?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:

Grammatica,

To repeat Ken's question, to which you have not yet responded:

quote:
Who is "you" here?

When someone feigns ignorance to score a rhetorical point, I do not feel compelled to answer.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
It's a cause of grief not gain.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Conservatives don't want to fight to keep gay couples in other churches from being blessed, but the poor souls battle on selflessly anyway? If they're not gaining anything, then why not just leave gay people be, which is all we're asking for? Who had a gun to Geoff Chapman's head?
This is a pretty stupid post by any standards. First, I'm told that my theological objections are all about power, and now I have this telling me that what other Anglicans do/believe/say is none of my concern.

(BTW, who is Geoff Chapman anyway?)

Well, that would be pretty stupid, if I had said that. I await a response to my actual post.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Well, that would be pretty stupid, if I had said that. I await a response to my actual post.

That is what you did say. And to repeat my ignored question - who is Geoff Chapman anyway?
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
a refusal on the grounds of practice is logically distinct from one on the grounds of desire, which is what orientation is about.

But we don't know her practice, do we? For that matter, how much do we know of anyone else's practice?

Furthermore, I don't recall what the Bible has to say against Lesbian practice. Could you refresh my memory?

Sorry - dead horse territory.

Grammatica. I don't think it is feigning ignorance. It is a genuine question. Various posters have shown the political diversity of evanglical Anglicanism in England, and that trying to line things up on a US-centric politico-religious matrix just doesn't work.

As another example from the other side, you will find rural parishes in England who will be politically VERY conservative (hunt ball, countryside alliance etc) but who will embrace women or gay clergy as their parish priest as well.

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the text of the infamous Chapman Memo.

No. My post said (in essence) that I thought Grammatica's question (what stands to be gained?) was a fair one that merited a response beyond your suggestion that it wasn't a matter of gain. I'm quite clear on what gay and lesbian Anglicans stand to gain. What a spokesperson for Essentials, or Reform, or Forward in Faith stands to gain is much less clear, and certainly not comparable.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:
Grammatica. I don't think it is feigning ignorance. It is a genuine question. Various posters have shown the political diversity of evanglical Anglicanism in England, and that trying to line things up on a US-centric politico-religious matrix just doesn't work.

ianjmatt,

Thank you. At that point Grammatica had not made it clear that she(?) was only discussing evangelical Anglicanism in England. In the paragraphs that I quoted, she appeared from context to be referring to the whole CofE but what she said bore no relationship to my experience as a member of the church for the last 30+ years. Hence, as you said, I was not feigning ignorance; I was genuinely bemused.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thank you. At that point Grammatica had not made it clear that she(?) was only discussing evangelical Anglicanism in England. In the paragraphs that I quoted, she appeared from context to be referring to the whole CofE but what she said bore no relationship to my experience as a member of the church for the last 30+ years. Hence, as you said, I was not feigning ignorance; I was genuinely bemused.

I am glad to hear that there are some members of the Church of England who don't want to break Communion with TEC.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
quote:

I am glad to hear that there are some members of the Church of England who don't want to break Communion with TEC.
Most members don't want that. But they also do not TEC to push itself away from the rest of the AC with the actions it is taking. Getting annoyed with the TEC (just as getting annoyed with Nigeria, or angry with Uganda) is not the same as wanting to break communion. Thinking that the TEC is wrong and the actions will cause difficulties is not the same as wanting to break communion.

--------------------

But maybe not

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
As another example from the other side, you will find rural parishes in England who will be politically VERY conservative (hunt ball, countryside alliance etc) but who will embrace women or gay clergy as their parish priest as well.

All right, then, I have another question: Why the demand that TEC cease to ordain and/or defrock existing gay clergy, and why the threat to break communion with us if we don't (see the Archbishop of Canterbury's Advent Letter this year), if you in the C of E cheerfully accept them?

I'd like an answer to that question. If there is one.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Grammatica,

To repeat Ken's question, to which you have not yet responded:

quote:
Who is "you" here?

When someone feigns ignorance to score a rhetorical point, I do not feel compelled to answer.

YOu may find this hard to believe but I genuinely don't know what you mean here, and didn't know who you were talking about when you said "you" in the previous post.

quote:
Whatever their views on the environment may be, British Evangelicals are in tight alliance with the US Religious Right in their war against TEC.

[brick wall] And the moon is made of green cheese. [brick wall] There is something almost obtuse about this. Almost a refusal to imagine that anyone can really not be American at heart. As if the whole rest of the world was just the people who live in your town pretending to be different for some strange reason. So the only way to relate to them is to fit them into categories that you made from up in America.

quote:

My question might be: What do British Evangelicals hope to gain in this situation?

Unanswerable question because your notion of what the situation is so far from reality that adding to it would risk further confusing you.

quote:

I assume their goal throughout has been to consolidate their control of the Church of England.

What control of the Church of England? [Confused] How can they - we - "consolidate" what we don't have?

At the most three or four of the bishops - I mean of all the bishops, suffragans as well as diocesans - are out and proud theologically conservative evangelicals of the sort who might associate with the "Reform" pressure group in England or with the Diocese of Sydney and GAFCON abroad. In terms of numbers in pews the "Charismatic Evangelicals" are perhaps a larger group, and everyone always suggests that they are growing as a proportion of the CofE if not in absolute numbers, but they too have few bishops or other senior clergy. Yes, and some of them are rather obsessed by homosexuality as well. And no, I don't understand why.

As a proportion of the number of worshippers in the COfE such people are unlikely to be more than about ten to twenty percent of the whole, and I suspect probably much less. It is hard to be at all sure because of course there is no such thing as a census of churchmanship and many evangelicals attend non-evangelical churches and vice-versa (which from the comments I've seen here might be another difference between England and the USA). Although evangelical churches are disproportionately likely to be well-attended, so the ratio of clergy to lay people is probably less than in other kinds of parish, few of these churches are large by US standards - the average number of worshippers in evangelical parishes is nearer to fifty then a hundred, so that isn't the main reason for the relative lack of evangelicals in Synod or among the bishops.

Another ten percent of the CoE might be considered to be among the so-called "Open Evangelicals" but they mostly have no desire to fall out of communion with the Americans (any more than most of them want to see Forward in Faith and so on leave the CofE) and they really don't fit your Americanised description of evangelicals at all. They are rather better represented among the Bishops and on Synod.

But all put together all those evangelicals are perhaps a third of the Sunday attendance of the CofE (give or take ten percent) and maybe a fifth of its bishops and General Synod members. And those bishops and so on are disproportionately from the "open" end of things, least likely to side with GAFCON and friends. That is influence but it is a long way from control. The largest party in both General Synod and the House of Bishops is almost certainly what you might call "liberal catholic" though they are far from a majority. No one grouping in the CofE is a majority, and none is likely to be in the near future.

quote:

To engineer the expulsion of the liberal American church from the Communion in 2003 might have been just the "shock and awe" needed to force a complete collapse of liberals in the C of E.

That isn't even wrong.

To be honest, just as in every other country, most people here don't pay that much attention to what goes on in other countries. If every single theologically conservative iAnglian in America tossed a coin tomorrow and went off to join either the Roman Catholics or the Baptists depending on the way it came up, and if the remaining 100% theologically liberal churches pulled up stumps and declared themselves to be mo longer Anglicans an no longer in communion with Canterbury, I doubt if it would have any noticeable effect on the internal politicking of the Church of England at all - or any other Anglican body outside the Americas. [brick wall] [brick wall]

And what this all has got to do with either the elections of bishops in California, or proposed bad laws in Uganda, I don't know.

Oh, and what Gildas said about Rowan Williams and the Ugandan thing.

On a better note, Rick Warren, who I suppose most definitely is a right-wing American evangelical (well, he is an evangelical, he is American, and he is a hell of a lot more right wing than me or most people I know) seems to have come out on the side of the angels on the Ugandan law, and a copy of his statement is linked to here with approval on Maggi Dawn's very wonderful blog - and she is about as far from being a right-wing homophobic bigot as anyone you could imagine.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I can see where the accusations of it all being about power come from too though. And in the Ugandan situation there seems to be a streak of anti-colonialism.

The conservatives accuse the liberals in American of changing (their reading of) to suit their culture, but as far as I can tell much of the debate in African is strongly influenced by cultural and political issues there.

This is why I wish we could listen to each rather than just claiming victim status for our side.

Carys

Look, I don't think the Africans can be given a pass on the commission of atrocities just because they were under colonial rule 50 or 60 years ago. In Rwanda Catholic priests and the members of religious orders participated actively in the genocide. Should they be given tea and sympathy because the unpleasantness there was after all an expression of inter-tribal and cultural issue that we Europeans can't appreciate? Give me a fucking break!
Um -- how does that relate to my post? I mentioned anti-colonialism -- but that doesn't mean I was justifying their position, just noting that it is a factor in the current mess.

Thanks to Honest Ron Barcardi and Gildas for their insightful posts into the history of Uganda. Again it doesn't justify the nastiness of the bill -- but understanding where they are coming from is of help in knowing how to talk to them.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All right, then, I have another question: Why the demand that TEC cease to ordain and/or defrock existing gay clergy, and why the threat to break communion with us if we don't (see the Archbishop of Canterbury's Advent Letter this year), if you in the C of E cheerfully accept them?

This comes down to orientation and celibacy again. The CofE welcomes gay priests who have given an undertaking of celibacy to their bishop.
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:

This comes down to orientation and celibacy again. The CofE welcomes gay priests who have given an undertaking of celibacy to their bishop.
And you police them to be sure they don't break it?
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:

Sorry - dead horse territory.
Done: Lesbians and the Bible

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's a little of wink wink nod nod that goes on between many of the bishops and their clergy in the CoE, because there are after all same-sex clergy couples or clergy in same sex relationships who are apparently expected to pretend to be in relationships devoid of sexual intimacy. Hell, as I said before I know a deacon in one such relationship and he'll be a priest in a few months time, as is his civil partner. The whole notion that such couples are to remain sexually continent and are actually doing so is simply absurb and laughable. I'm sure a few of the bishops take it seriously but I can't believe that most of them are so barmy.

(In response to FreeJack and in reference to the situation in the CoE)

[ 10. December 2009, 19:35: Message edited by: Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I made this thread here to try to divert some of the off-topic stuff (to which I have been a major contributor)that's really about the CoE and not the subject of this thread.

--------------------
Ken

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Indeed - there will a come a time, soon, when I shall want you to send us flying bishops.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And I made this thread here to try to divert some of the off-topic stuff (to which I have been a major contributor)that's really about the CoE and not the subject of this thread.

I think there's been so much off-topic stuff on this thread because in truth there isn't much to say about the OP. In broad terms we all know how it will likely play out and everyone's positions are pretty hardened, so there's really not much to say.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise:-
quote:
So really please, stop trying to excuse or mitigate this sort of behaviour in Uganda and Nigeria, on the grounds that some unsavoury politicians there might have been gay.
[Frown]
Where did I say that?

And re your quotes, I am well aware of the recrudescence of homophobia down through the ages. I am also aware of the fact of the bullying, exclusion and violence, both physical and verbal, that takes place at many other levels too, and of course for many other reasons too.

The simple purpose of my post was to point out the recent church background to the current local issues. In fact I went even further back than that to events that I have seen regularly cited by Ugandans and Nigerians. I pointed out that this was not a full analysis, and so far as cultural intrusions are concerned I made no claims to have identified "who started this". My analysis is tailored to my (perhaps incorrectly) perceived readership of this thread, which I had hoped was a matter of courtesy. I also admitted that I honestly don't have a clue about how to tackle Nigeria, and I am still awaiting any suggestions.

Then you post that. Why? You completely fail to address the fact that the situation we now have on the ground deals with real people and their real situations. No doubt they are screwed up in assorted ways just like you and me. The best you can offer is trumpeting noises from Lambeth.

Any attempt to address the developing situation in Uganda has to deal with real Ugandans. You appear to missed the irony in posting evidence of more homophobia in Uganda whilst not noticing how much that reinforces the danger of ignoring local prejudices. Any programme to tackle this issue that is not based on current facts on the ground (however distasteful you or I may find them) is doomed from the start. We have tried the "tell the benighted locals" approach. It failed, and now you are proposing more of the same.

No doubt Gildas's somewhat tongue-in-cheek approach - or something like it - is needed in the short term, and all the likelihood is that something along those lines is on the go. But let's not fool ourselves that will be anything other than a short term palliative. The longer term issue needs addressing through education and then the need to meet and interact with real Ugandan gays. Not some hellbound subspecies, nor some artificially pumped special cause, but real human beings, just like them.

I really don't mind if you disagree with me. If you have a better proposal then let's hear it, and I shall cheerfully accept it is the better way if so persuaded. Right now what else is on offer is what got us to where we are. If that does not register, then the only possible conclusion that can be drawn is that what matters is demonstrating 21st century western social in-group rectitude, and if bloody foreigners (such as gay Ugandans) interfere with that, then so what?

I would, however, hope that you could come up with a better way that addresses the issues rather than received wisdom.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L.Sv.K said
quote:
I think there's been so much off-topic stuff on this thread because in truth there isn't much to say about the OP. In broad terms we all know how it will likely play out and everyone's positions are pretty hardened, so there's really not much to say.
I guess I said something approximating to that upthread, so in a sense I agree. But the problem remains the monumental degree of misunderstanding that exists. And to be honest, I still don't understand why you went apeshit on the first few pages. I hope you won't mind my asking that, now you have regained your composure, because understanding the evident frustration might help.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I go to bed and wake up to find two pages have zipped past.

I'm probably way behind so feel free to ignore my responses if I'm not keeping up.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Bzzzt. I think you meant to say supported slavery and had slaves of their own. That's a pretty big reason to overthrow the traditional stance on slavery. I could go on with the analogy, but that's DH territory. You get the picture.

No. I didn't mean 'supported' - even though that was also sadly true in the past as well - I meant what I said. The Church has a bad track record on turning a blind-eye to child molestation too but no one is suggesting that we should now embrace said behaviour.

The fact that the church has turned a blind-eye to something in the past proves nothing except that people are hypocrites.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
I was using "not bothered" to mean "in favour of", which is evidently the meaning you were using when describing liberals as "not bothered" by gay bishops. (If not, then I'm not sure what your comment was supposed to mean. That liberals are simply uninterested in the opinions of other Christians?)

Actually I was only using "not bothered" as an attempt to understand what Doc Tor meant by it. It seemed to me that he did mean that he was uninterested in the opinions of other Christians.
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think there's a little of wink wink nod nod that goes on between many of the bishops and their clergy in the CoE, because there are after all same-sex clergy couples or clergy in same sex relationships who are apparently expected to pretend to be in relationships devoid of sexual intimacy. Hell, as I said before I know a deacon in one such relationship and he'll be a priest in a few months time, as is his civil partner. The whole notion that such couples are to remain sexually continent and are actually doing so is simply absurb and laughable. I'm sure a few of the bishops take it seriously but I can't believe that most of them are so barmy.

(In response to FreeJack and in reference to the situation in the CoE)

There is obviously a spectrum of views on this. Some bishops have a personal view that is more or less liberal than the status quo, some are more disciplinarian than others, and some parishes are more tolerant than others.

So gay curates in gay-friendly parishes with either gay-friendly bishops or very uninterventionist bishops will survive on the basis of their own words as long as no-one in the parish complains and no public scandal.

It is not more or less policed than a single heterosexual curate, expected to give broadly similar assurances to the bishop.

Well I wouldn't talk too much about your friend's situation or he may not be a priest in a few months' time. These things are not automatic.

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
L.Sv.K said
quote:
I guess I said something approximating to that upthread, so in a sense I agree. But the problem remains the monumental degree of misunderstanding that exists. And to be honest, I still don't understand why you went apeshit on the first few pages. I hope you won't mind my asking that, now you have regained your composure, because understanding the evident frustration might help.
I'm tired of the ABC's unhelpful interventions, fatherly advice, whatever. Like most Americans I'm sick of the condemnation of a number of provinces who I honestly don't see having the slightest claim to moral superiority - indeed quite the opposite - and I'm tired of the travails within our own province. I'd like those outside TEC to leave us to our own processes, especially if they aren't truly well-disposed toward us. At the moment, frankly, the only other Anglicans I expect to have some understanding of us are the Anglican Church of Canada. As to the rest of the AC: with friends like you, who needs enemies?
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While written from a particular point of view which may not be shared by all Shipmates, here is a link that discusses the relationship between the events in Africa regarding gays and the religious/political situation in the US, with infighting among the various churches. It isn't unique to TEC/Anglicans.

The US Christian Right and the attic on Gays in Africa

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:

quote:
Whatever their views on the environment may be, British Evangelicals are in tight alliance with the US Religious Right in their war against TEC.

[brick wall] And the moon is made of green cheese. [brick wall]

This just in: Verdant cheddar spotted in the Sea of Tranquility.

If that doesn't convince, try this bit of moss-colored mozzarella, courtest of Fr. Kapya Kaoma.

These articles will give you a full and fair picture of the organizations with which British Evangelicals are allied.

Or are you saying that no one from Anglican Mainstream or Reform has ever spoken to Robert Duncan or David Anderson? Never ever ever? Not even at Dromantine?

Now please don't tell me again about your sterling record on global warming; that's a red herring.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

Or are you saying that no one from Anglican Mainstream or Reform has ever spoken to Robert Duncan or David Anderson? Never ever ever? Not even at Dromantine?

I haven't got the faintest. And I don't even know who Robert Duncan and David Anderson are, and don't much care right now. But what I am saying is that most Anglican evangelicals here are not affiliated with either "Anglican Mainstream" or "Reform". And also that the minority who are in those organisations have a wide variety of political positions, many of them quite unlike your caricature of the "religious right".

quote:

Now please don't tell me again about your sterling record on global warming; that's a red herring.

I never mentioned global warming. But seeing as you bring it up, no, it isn't a red herring. Nor is racism a red herring, or rural poverty, or workers rights, or warmongering, or sexism, or healthcare policy, or the concentration of power and money in the hands of a tiny rich elite, or any other of the dozens of political issues on which Christians of all sorts of kinds ought to take a stand.

--------------------
Ken

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
quote:

I haven't got the faintest. And I don't even know who Robert Duncan and David Anderson are, and don't much care right now. But what I am saying is that most Anglican evangelicals here are not affiliated with either "Anglican Mainstream" or "Reform". And also that the minority who are in those organisations have a wide variety of political positions, many of them quite unlike your caricature of the "religious right".

This style of arguing is starting to get under my skin a little. Do you really not know who Robert Duncan is? Archbishop for ACNA? Motion tabled at the last C of E General Synod to recognize ACNA in place of the Episcopal Church? David Anderson was the head of the American Anglican Council, then the leader of a prominent breakaway movement supported by British Evangelicals. All of these people, and these groups, have been actively undermining TEC for the past twenty years, with considerable financial support from the American Religious Right. You accuse me of knowing nothing about your church, but you seem to be willfully ignorant of what has been happening to mine. Or worse, because British Evangelicals have had a considerable hand in these shenanigans.

Your reply to all this seems to be: But we Evangelicals are not like the American Religious Right. Fair enough. I am not saying you are. But you don't have to be like them to be their allies; politics makes strange bedfellows, as we say. ACNA itself is a pretty strange grouping; FiF and con evos have together attempted to block women bishops in the C of E. Nothing to stop C of E Evangelicals from making allies of the American Religious Right if they are working together toward a common goal, is there? The common goal here being a war on TEC.

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to look up David Anderson, and I write as someone who IRL was booted out of my parish when the anti-gay evans took it over & separated from the Diocese of Ottawa. That some of the English evans had not heard of him is no surprise to me.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll grant Dave Anderson may be a bit obscure, but surely the former TEC bishop of Pittsburgh, Bob Duncan, should be at least dimly recognizable to anyone paying even cursory attention. He has certainly chased after enough media to deserve this small courtesy.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I had to look up David Anderson, and I write as someone who IRL was booted out of my parish when the anti-gay evans took it over & separated from the Diocese of Ottawa. That some of the English evans had not heard of him is no surprise to me.

Well, all right, maybe some of this is innocent enough.
CJS
Shipmate
# 3503

- Posted      Profile for CJS   Email CJS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
[QUOTE]No one from Nigeria has, as far as I'm aware, ever posted on these boards and I think any 'Sydney Anglican' from Sydney would steer well clear of this thread.

I may be the only 'Sydney Anglican' left on SOF (as opposed to 'Anglicans from Sydney' of whom there may be a few more). I read this far, but I've just seen the page count and I don't think I have the stamina to read it all the way to the end.

But I figure that the political reality is that every time TEC gets a gay or lesbian bishop it makes it that little bit easier for us to adopt lay administration of the Lord's Supper without getting thrown out of the communion.

So thanks for that. Getting thrown out of the communion would involve lawyers. And I really don't like lawyers.

Posts: 665 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
I'll grant Dave Anderson may be a bit obscure, but surely the former TEC bishop of Pittsburgh, Bob Duncan, should be at least dimly recognizable to anyone paying even cursory attention. He has certainly chased after enough media to deserve this small courtesy.

Honestly, other than the rather geeky world of Anglican on-line forums most people will not have heard of him. In fact, most evanglical CofE members will not even care about him, ACNA, FiF, Reform, Anglican Mainstream or anyone else. That really is true. Church politics leaves most people in the CofE cold, and that includes conservative evalevanglicals.

For example, we had some people turn up at our parish who had been members of Jesmond Parish Church. They had attended their for ten years as reguar members. It has become clear to me as I got to know them that they had no interest whatsoever in wider church politics outside of living in such a way that it bears witness to the grace of Jesus (in fact, their only telling was when one of them said something like "it did get boring when they kept on banging on about the 'gay issue' at Jesmond all the time". That is, I think fairly typical of most attendees at the most conservative of parishes.

--------------------

But maybe not

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that ken and the other C of E evangelicals on the thread have a valid point, that the man or woman-in-the-pew evangelical in England care as much about ACNA or the breakaway Ecusans in the USA as Episcopalians in the pews care about the latest machinations in General Synod. Thus, I think that it is wrong to suggest that all C of E evos are giving aid and comfort to Bobby Duncan, Jack Iker and company. By focusing on the blogosphere, I think that the obsessed among us (and I count myself in that crowd) sometimes miss the forest for the trees.

It is fascinating, however, to see on this thread how, well, "evangelical" Anglicans can be. In the Episcopal church, it is a small party and liturgically rather high by English standards. Because the Episcopal church is a "choice" denomination, not a "we serve all sorts" state church, it generally is avoided by individuals seeking a more literal approach to biblical teaching and interpretation or an informal liturgical style focused on preaching.

Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I don't even know who Robert Duncan and David Anderson are, and don't much care right now
Most people in the UK will never have heard of these people, but the response does seem a little disingenuous coming from Ken, the Ship's master of Google skills. Ken, wouldn't your normal response be to have done a quick search for both of them and then informed us about the salient details of their lives? Esoterica is normally your stamping ground.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:
And I don't even know who Robert Duncan and David Anderson are, and don't much care right now
Most people in the UK will never have heard of these people, but the response does seem a little disingenuous coming from Ken, the Ship's master of Google skills. Ken, wouldn't your normal response be to have done a quick search for both of them and then informed us about the salient details of their lives? Esoterica is normally your stamping ground.
I don't see how that's disingenuous. The point isn't that he couldn't find out who they were, it's that he doesn't already know when when he is supposedly in alliance with them in unholy war on TEC.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
quote:

Indeed - there will a come a time, soon, when I shall want you to send us flying bishops.
Hasten the day.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
L.Sv.K said
quote:
I'm tired of the ABC's unhelpful interventions, fatherly advice, whatever. Like most Americans I'm sick of the condemnation of a number of provinces who I honestly don't see having the slightest claim to moral superiority - indeed quite the opposite - and I'm tired of the travails within our own province. I'd like those outside TEC to leave us to our own processes...
What? The process of replacing scripture with a weird, tortuously interpreted version of Canon Law in order to suppress dissenting voices? What? Leave you to "the process" of systematically using institutional bullying in order to silence conservative voices and ostracise perfectly valid expressions of Anglican churchmanship within TEC?
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
quote:

Hasten the day.
[Disappointed] Do you mean what I take you to mean, that you will be glad to see the break-up of the Church of England? Or that the rump of self-righteous fundamentalists pretends that it is the real C of E?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
quote:

Hasten the day.
[Disappointed] Do you mean what I take you to mean, that you will be glad to see the break-up of the Church of England? Or that the rump of self-righteous fundamentalists pretends that it is the real C of E?
A qualified both.
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
This just in: Verdant cheddar spotted in the Sea of Tranquility.

If that doesn't convince, try this bit of moss-colored mozzarella, courtest of Fr. Kapya Kaoma.

These articles will give you a full and fair picture of the organizations with which British Evangelicals are allied.

Most British evangelicals simply are not activists. But you're right to the extent that there are indeed close links between Anglican Mainstream and Reform and ACNA. But we really are talking about a small group of people. Archbishop Duncan in particular has links with some English evangelicals, and friendships even with some bishops - he was, after all, Bishop of Pittsburgh for a long time before ACNA came into being. In my experience, he's a decent man so there is some sympathy for him among people who know him in the English church.

As for your links, I've always felt that Jim Naughton's piece is not quite the killer blow against US conservatives that it's claimed to be. So what? There's right-wing money from foundations that finds its way into conservative coffers. So what that one of the donors had repugnant reconstructionist views before he became an Anglican? As far as I could see the Institute on Religion and Democracy (with the late Fr John Neuhaus among its trustees) was not quite the conspiracy that liberals claimed it was. It was open about its intentions and its Anglican influence was driven by the late Diane Knippers - someone who was likeable and intelligent. It's no surprise now that the IRD is much quieter and less interested in Anglican affairs since her tragic early death.

The other link isn't primarily about Anglican conservatives. It exaggerates the role of Anglican bishops in African politics and treats some people unfairly. It is indeed worth reading but it has a conspiratorial tenor.

I think many more English evangelicals would be shocked if they knew more about the US church - its stubborn choice to litigate rather than negotiate and the truly lamentable lack of intelligent theological thinking that now exists there.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
I think that the 39 Articles bear witness to the Christian faith. I also think that the Catechism of the Catholic Church bears witness to the Christian faith, as does the Westminster Confession, +Kallistos' handy Vade Mecum on the Orthodox Church and the Methodist Worship Book.

Bearing witness to the Christian faith need not entailing being absolutely correct about everything. [Razz]

I agree. There is a stratification in terms of authority: the scriptures are said to be 'ultimate' (no higher revelation or authority); the creeds 'sufficient' (they're good enough to meet the needs of the church); the 39 bear witness (they are to be recognised an Anglican confessional document).
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing to me is that is is very much like a family "breaking up".

Every time a family gets together for a meal, there are things that can be brought up that probably shouldn't for family harmony. (Coming from a dysfunctional family, there is a lot that we don't discuss when we get together at MY house. [Biased] )

The Anglican Communion seems determined to bring up those issues every time they get together. It's wearing and frustrating to everyone involved. And just like most families, eventually some people will just send their regrets and stop coming.

TEC has decided to stop coming. They understand that the rest of the family doesn't understand where they are coming from, but feel that there is no good coming from the current conversations. So they are moving on. They won't be coming to Christmas Dinner or to the Family Reunion. They will be happy to met some family members at the pub, or send letters or emails to people. But it's simply too painful and upsetting to continue to turn up to a dinner where it seems no one listens, cares to listen, and they are always yelled at.

TEC can take care of itself without ABC's help. So they've left the house, decided upon a very nice apartment, and are getting about doing what they believe the Holy Spirit has called them to do.

I'm sure that this is distressing for some family members for there to be an empty seat, and a happy time for some who are glad that they are gone. It's mixed for TEC also, but it may simply be time.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
...it's simply too painful and upsetting to continue to turn up to a dinner where it seems no one listens, cares to listen, and they are always yelled at.

My kids moan that I don't listen to them sometimes. They also say that I'm mean when I say no and keep saying no when they are pestering me. Children pester because they are immature and don't know better. A pestering adult, however, is grotesque, pathetic, and pitiable.

quote:
TEC can take care of itself without ABC's help. So they've left the house, decided upon a very nice apartment, and are getting about doing what they believe the Holy Spirit has called them to do.
The sooner TEC get looking the better. There comes a time for every spoilt little rich kid to leave if they don't like the rules of the house. There's nothing worse than a cocky know-it-all teenager who just has to give the middle finger to their parents.

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
...it's simply too painful and upsetting to continue to turn up to a dinner where it seems no one listens, cares to listen, and they are always yelled at.

My kids moan that I don't listen to them sometimes. They also say that I'm mean when I say no and keep saying no when they are pestering me. Children pester because they are immature and don't know better. A pestering adult, however, is grotesque, pathetic, and pitiable.

quote:
I'm sure that this is distressing for some family members for there to be an empty seat, and a happy time for some who are glad that they are gone. It's mixed for TEC also, but it may simply be time.
Let the good times roll! [Yipee]

[ 11. December 2009, 11:07: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

weird
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pata, I think your analogy is very apt. For me it feels like TEC is my brother, who sometimes does things which seem completely reasonable to him and a bit daft to me. Sometimes he does those things just to provoke mum (I'm an adult, I can do what I want). Sometimes he does them because they are right, and mum thinks it really is all about her. But he's my brother and I love him and I'll be sad if he doesn't come to family lunches anymore, whether it's because mum won't let him or because he doesn't want to. Even if I'm not sure of the wisdom of the actions of TEC at the moment, your are still my brothers and sisters, and I want you round the table. Can anyone find a way of shutting mum up?

(OK so that isn't much like my family. But the sentiment is there...)

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Numpty - I have to say that - along with the earlier "red mist" ones - was amongst the least helpful offerings here.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Numpty - I have to say that - along with the earlier "red mist" ones - was amongst the least helpful offerings here.

"Amongst"?
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016