homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Is "climate change" being used to bring in a global Govenment? (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Is "climate change" being used to bring in a global Govenment?
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
You global warming/climate change freaks will just love this booklet (as a pdf)....

http://joannenova.com.au/globalwarming/the_skeptics_handbook_2-3_lq.pdf

Saul the agitator [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Biased]

I have come across this - what do you want to talk about?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
You global warming/climate change freaks will just love this booklet (as a pdf)....

http://joannenova.com.au/globalwarming/the_skeptics_handbook_2-3_lq.pdf

Saul the agitator [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Biased]

I have come across this - what do you want to talk about?
Mr Clingford,

your SOF name sounds like ''Mr. Clingfilm''. Stay cool mate. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Saul the anarchist [Biased]

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saul - so lets see if I've got this right. A number of us go away, take the time to look at this link in detail, make quite a few detailed comments on the science of it all and its credibility, almost all of which you ignore and then you post up another link.

In which case I'm wondering if you are taking the piss

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Saul. Staying cool is a good idea (for me, especially on message boards) but unfortunately for human infrastructures the planet isn't staying cool.

Did you want to discuss anything in that pdf you linked to? Do you agree with its viewpoint? If so, how do you get on with its discussing of temperatures ranging back over hundreds of thousands of years?

--------------------

If only.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that helped! Presumably this is her? A self-employed publicist and popular science entertainer? Admittedly with a science degree (in Microbiology, no less), but no evidence of practice. Plus some links with the petrochemical industry.

To these admittedly lay eyes, the science didn't look too good either, but I'm sure others can have(and have had) fun with the Skeptics Handbook.

Mr Clingford, you'll like this.

[xposted with you, Mr C]

[ 16. December 2009, 15:09: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas 62,

quote:
the science didn't look too good either, but I'm sure others can have(and have had) fun with the Skeptics Handbook.
You could start with this
Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
Saul - so lets see if I've got this right. A number of us go away, take the time to look at this link in detail, make quite a few detailed comments on the science of it all and its credibility, almost all of which you ignore and then you post up another link.

In which case I'm wondering if you are taking the piss

Hey luigi,

hey, me noa takka the peees offa you !

You can open the booklet as a pdf, or not, its entirely up to you.

You haven't got it right, I posted the link because not all of us may agree with the status quo and/or the lies of Copenhagen and this booklet is simply an ''idiots'' guide for the 'unenlightened ones' who don't have the detailed insight into CC/GW and may want a simple look at a complex issue.

Like I said previously, I will try and look through some of the detailed stuff already posted, and as you're all very clever fellas (or gels) I shall have to go away and look at it and then re-visit the conclusions/views I possess.

Is that OK mate?

Saul the maybe soon to be CC/GW agnostic.... [Biased]

[ 16. December 2009, 15:26: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Thanks guys. My question came from some internal reflection, but it was in part provoked by a recent comment (IRL) from a sceptic. Looks like I gave him a reasonable answer (without really knowing what I was talking about) - and I'll remember the ice-caps!

Barnabas 62, apologies - I was afk and am having difficulty keeping up with this thread!

I just did a back of an envelope calculation which went as follows:
  • Radiative flux from the Sun: 1360 W/m²(source)
  • Area of the Earth: 51,007,2000 km² (Wikipedia, or type "area of earth" into Google!). NB - only half exposed to sun at any given time.
  • power input of solar radiation at top of atmosphere: 1360 * 51E+12 m² / 2 = 3.5E+16 W
  • albedo of Earth c. 0.3, so 70% absorbed: 2.45E+16 W
  • "heat flux at the core–mantle boundary (CMB) ... is poorly known and estimates range from 2 TW to 10 TW" (source). To be generous, lets assume the larger of these figures (10TW = 1E+13 W), and that 100% of the core-mantle flux ends up at he surface. This is a bit hand-wavey, but I can't find a better figure to hand.
  • Ratio of core heating to solar heating = 1E+13 / 2.45E+16 = 0.04%. This is probably on the high side, and represents a contribution of 0.006° Celcius to Earth's average surface temperature.
Or you could take it from this article, which estimates it at 0.03%. I'm really rather pleased with this, as I didn't look it up before working my figure out! [Big Grin]

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to nit-pick a little:
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
I just did a back of an envelope calculation which went as follows:
  • Area of the Earth: 51,007,2000 km² (Wikipedia, or type "area of earth" into Google!). NB - only half exposed to sun at any given time.

That is true, but also you have to take into account that polar regions receive less flux than equatorial regions.

quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
  • "heat flux at the core–mantle boundary (CMB) ... is poorly known and estimates range from 2 TW to 10 TW" (source). To be generous, lets assume the larger of these figures (10TW = 1E+13 W), and that 100% of the core-mantle flux ends up at he surface. This is a bit hand-wavey, but I can't find a better figure to hand.

Surely a terawatt is 1E12 Watts?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, 10TW=10E+13W, as stated.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Appreciated once again. [I just about kept up with the calculation ..]

[Alan, I think you put an extra zero in there, but I got the point]

[ 16. December 2009, 21:46: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what you get for trying to be a Smart Alec [Hot and Hormonal]

That's peer review in action ...

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To calculate the total solar flux, you'd need to take the Earth as a disc (mean r=6371km) area 1.3x10^14 m^2.

I make that 1.8*10^17 W. (Wiki says total insolation is 1.7*10^17 W [Yipee] ).

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
To calculate the total solar flux, you'd need to take the Earth as a disc (mean r=6371km) area 1.3x10^14 m^2.

I make that 1.8*10^17 W. (Wiki says total insolation is 1.7*10^17 W [Yipee] ).

Of course, you're right[1]. Which serves me right for trying to put a hugely vague calculation up where all my knowledgeable co-posters could have at it [Biased] . Given the a cock-up of that magnitude, I'm impressed I managed only a 30% error[2]!

Note to sceptical onlookers: if you don't peer-review articles, stupid errors can slip in unnoticed.

- Chris.

---
[1] unless someone peeled the earth whilst I wasn't looking.
[2] the error bar on this error figure is left as an exercise to the reader [Big Grin]

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a bit of time here, so I'll reply to this.

quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:
So tell me, AGW, how does Carbon Dioxide which is one and half times heavier than air stay up in the atomosphere accumulating to form a blanket?

You have been told. Repeatedly. Ad nauseam.

The same way that nitrogen, argon, oxygen etc all stay up "in the air". Because of convection currents, driven by the rotation of the earth (mainly) causing a heat differential as different areas spin into relative view of the sun.

And as you have been told, repeatedly, ad nauseam, the CO2 does not form a 'blanket' (in the sense that you mean is, that is a floating layer): it increases the CO2 concentration of the air generally, thus increasing the ability of the atmosphere, generally, to trap heat.

And as I've mentioned, the 'type' of blanket is irrelevant, although I haven't yet heard one, not one, consistent description of it. So let's just call it the agw blanket.

How does a CO2 molecule with a coefficient of less than 1 trap heat?

quote:
qb]Tell me: do you believe kites are all on the ground, all the time, or do you believe rather that they can be held aloft indefinitely by the wind (also known as "convection currents" by those in the know)?

Myrhh seems to have accidentally scrolled past this excellent post of mine, so I thought I'd narcissistically quote myself for her benefit. [/QB]
Indefinitely I'd like to see you prove in real life...

That's certainly one of the ways CO2 gets to move around the earth. Is it always windy? Do we have a perpetual motion machine somewhere generating this keeping CO2 up in the atmosphere?

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell: In which case, I'll quote you [IntellectByProxy] as well. And, tell you you're wrong. Forget convection, what you're looking for is diffusion. In the absence of any convective influence, in totally still air, a release of CO2 (or, any other gas) would still diffuse through the entire atmosphere reaching uniform concentrations everywhere. Convection simply accelerates the process.
In totally still air, CO2, which is substantially heavier than air, 1.5 times, one and a half times heavier than air - will sink to earth.

You have created a SuperCO2 molecule that does what wimpy, normal, real science CO2, cannot do.

quote:
And as anyone who knows the Second Law of Thermodynamics would know, diffusion is effectively irreversible - molecules in a gas don't spontaneously form little bubbles of the same chemical which would float or sink according to the density of the bubble cf the surrounding gas. You can try experiments at home to prove it. The easiest would be with water and food colouring; take a large glass with a lot of water in it and a smaller glass (such as a shot glass) with water and a good dollop of food colouring. Carefully lower the shot glass into the large glass (careful, you don't want to create too much convection), and watch the food colouring slowly diffuse through the large glass. Notice that no matter how long you wait, the relatively large colouring molecules do not concentrate at the bottom of the glass. If you wanted to do the same with CO2 and air you'd need equipment to measure the concentrations of gas at different locations in the glass (and you'll need a bottle rather than open glass, of course) which makes it much more complex an experiment. The physics of the food colouring is the same though.
Bullshit Alan. Totally wanking bullshit. If you take a glass of air and put a lid on it the CO2 will sink to the bottom. It is heavier than air, one and a half times heavier than air, it displaces oxygen. Go see a mining engineer to explain it to you. Or try thinking.

That's the real problem here. You AGW's are creating a different physical reality, both by creating a different CO2 molecule and by breaking the laws of physics. If you really understood the laws of thermodynamics you wouldn't make such an error.

Ditto.

A example of the lack of basic principles in comprehension of the laws of thermodynamics from the article which claims to debunk the one Saul posted:

quote:
Radiation that leaves and enters the atmosphere must move through several layers. A little of it gets trapped in each one when CO2 or another greenhouse gas absorbs some of its energy; that energy may be radiated back to the ground or, in some cases, used to speed up the surrounding air molecules, causing more collisions and, thus, a slight warming of the layer in which they sit. A fraction of that energy shifts to higher layers and, when they become thin and cold enough, escapes into space.

It stands to reason then that adding more CO2 to the atmosphere should allow the upper layers to absorb more of it. This means that the energy would have to move up higher still in order to escape into space. Because these layers are particularly cold, they don’t radiate heat upwards as effectively and, therefore, a lot of that surplus energy moves back to the surface – resulting in the planet taking in more energy than it emits.[/qb]

No, I'm not going to explain what the basic error here is. If you're at all serious about discussing this, which I doubt, or at all serious in seeing where you're making the same error, which you might be, then you'll work it out for yourselves. Until you understand these basic, real science, principles, you will continue to post the nonsense you posted above and he posted here:

Debunking the 'Skeptics Handbook': More CO2 Does Worsen Climate Change

This is incompetent, ridiculous, as are all AGW arguments, because none of you have even zilch understanding of earth's thermodynamic system or the properties of CO2. Quit pretending that you are scientists, you're only fooling each other.

Give us a break.

Please.

[qb]The Skeptics Handbook[qb]

Myrrh

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Go see a mining engineer to explain it to you.

I've a degree in geology, which included units in mining and civil engineering. Will that do?

Alan is right. You're wrong. I'll refer you to this page on kinetic theory ( here ), which explains that the molecules which make up a gas are in constant motion even at room temperature.

It's what makes gases have pressure.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I wonder what on earth Myrrh can find to say about that? The depth of her misconception is clear.

But I suppose you veterans of these engagements are expecting a bounce-back? Another demo of perfect elasticity? Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

Off to bed.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Forget convection, what you're looking for is diffusion. In the absence of any convective influence, in totally still air, a release of CO2 (or, any other gas) would still diffuse through the entire atmosphere reaching uniform concentrations everywhere. Convection simply accelerates the process.

And as anyone who knows the Second Law of Thermodynamics would know, diffusion is effectively irreversible [snip]

I side with IBP on this one. If diffusion were irreversible in the manner you suggest, Alan, it seems to me that gas centrifuges would not be of much use in the enrichment of uranium.

I think that in a column of still air, relative concentrations would vary gradually with altitude, with heavier constitutents more favored below and lighter constituents more favored above - though distinct layers with oil/water-like boundaries would not form.

In the actual atmosphere, convection and turbulent mixing keep concentrations pretty constant in the homosphere, up to about 100 km. Above that, the concentrations do change markedly with altitude.

This web page appears to have a decent summary, with references that seem to check out (thanks to Amazon's "look inside" feature.)

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

I've a degree in geology, which included units in mining and civil engineering. Will that do?

Alan is right. You're wrong. I'll refer you to this page on kinetic theory ( here ), which explains that the molecules which make up a gas are in constant motion even at room temperature.

It's what makes gases have pressure.

Proves my point, the scientists backing the AGW failed hypothesis have zilch basic understanding, even in their own fields..

quote:
The other gas that had to be watched for was carbon dioxide, which in contrast with methane, which being lighter than air collects in the roof, is heavier and thus pools on the floor. So that if you were getting down to cut the starting slot in the bottom of the coal seam, you might just drop into a pool. It was called choke damp – though that was also the name given to carbon monoxide, which could also seep out of the coal. All these gases are colorless and odorless so that without some form of detection (the canary for example, or using a candle as a test) they can lurk to catch the unsuspecting. More on Early Coal Mining
Barnabas, you can take them for experts for as long as you want, but backing such as a put down for my arguments doesn't hack it here.

As I'm still saying. Scientist or not, because of the AGW's complete ignorance of our earth and us as carbon life forms and the role CO2 has in maintaining our survival, we are all at risk. Because none of you know what you're talking about.

Gullible is something being discussed on another thread, but let's look at it here in relation the Climategate:

quote:
UPDATE!

The scientists caught by ClimateGate may have influence over New Scientist. From Watts Up (Thanks Anthony).

In comments, Keith Minto points out the New Scientist is listed in the Climategate emails

See: http://www.eastangliaemails.com/emails.php?eid=796&filename=1179416790.txt

To: Phil Jones
Subject: Re: More Rubbish
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:46:30 -0400
Reply-to: mann@xxxxxxxxx.xxx

yep, I’m watching the changing of the guard live on TV here!

New Scientist was good. Gavin and I both had some input into that. They are nicely dismissive of the contrarians on just about every point, including the HS! (Hockey Stick)New Scientist becomes Non Scientist

Of course he thinks it's funny, he's even got New Scientist defending the proved to be junk science and deliberately fraudulent Hockey Stick..

What's missing here in what passes for our discussion, is how gullible all AGW's are who are not in the conned by default, in ignorance set. How those defending AGW are defending it as a religion, a matter of faith, and not as scientists or objective viewers of the science.

It's obvious the actual science doesn't matter, not even when it's shown to be nonsensical or corrupt as science, because a self defence mechanism has set in to protect destruction of the con.

The con has been set up to create religious fervour, the moral majority consensus. The disaster about to happen unless you too become baptised and join in changing the world to be a better place for your children. And what's the next step? Even if you have to kill us if we don't want your heaven? And it doesn't matter how many are destroyed in mind and body to achieve this, how many are killed or imprisoned or confined to abject poverty because of this? What are your leaders planning to do about us who won't confess to your god? What don't you understand about forced conversion in our Christian history? Maybe you think it's Christian? Of course, your leaders wouldn't tell you to use ovens... And what's it all built on?

Nothing.

This has to be the funniest statement of all time in the history of scientific inquiry and it's the basis of all AGW political will to change billions of peoples' lives and costing us trillions, except of course for those profitting from the con.

“We know that this increased concentration of CO2 is causing the warming because we haven’t been able to attribute it to anything else”

How can you read that and think it's science?

But, what, not even that it is admitted even by AGW's scientific knowledge that CO2 rises lag c.800 years behind temperature rises? Therefore? Maybe it's because we're now in a time c.800 after temperatures rose?

It doesn't take a scientist to see there's no logic displayed in that quote, nor that it's total bullshit to say something like this in real science, but taken with everything else we know about the manipulation of data and the frauds and the attacks on any disputing the science, what we really do see here is a long con of monumental proportions, the grand delusion.

Millions of people believing the con thinking they have a moral right to impose their view on everyone else, on the millions ignorant of the arguments, especially in the third world, and on those who object to being conned. We have a new inquisition. This time the penalties are taxes and increased heating charges and control of our lives by carbon credits and so on, no doubt imprisonment will follow for any not toeing the line, Hansen has already demanded that. I hope it's not 'welcome to the stamp on the body monitoring how much carbon dioxide we expend'..

We have the education system thoroughly compromised, not only creating a new physics and chemistry, but biology - our children being taught to fear CO2, the very food stuff our carbon based life forms, to think of it as a poison and to be frightened of turning on the heating producing more of it because they'll be destroying the earth.

That you're imposing this on us as a concept is bad enough, that you are doing it for real by imposing it in every area of our lives while claiming that you have the science to prove it but without ever showing us one piece of scientific proof of your claim, is absolutely disgraceful. That you are consciously, deliberately and, particularly, arrogantly dismissing the objections to your claim showing and proving the fraud, and deliberately attacking with slanders and libel those objecting while all the evidence continues to pile up around you proving it is both a scientific and a moral fraud, is criminal. You're the ones who'll have to answer to our children.

What are the characteristics of a con?

Myrrh
Back after the weekend.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once upon a time there was a man who thought he was dead. This guy firmly believed he was dead, even though he was a living, normally–functioning human being. Well, his wife persuaded him to visit a psychiatrist, who tried in vain to convince him that he was in fact alive.

Finally, the psychiatrist hit upon a plan. He showed the man medical reports and scientific evidence that dead men do not bleed. After thoroughly convincing the man that dead men do not bleed, the psychiatrist took out a pin and pricked the man’s finger. When the man saw the drop of blood trickle down his finger, his eyes bugged out. "Ha!" he cried, "Dead men do bleed after all!"

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Once upon a time there was a man who thought he was dead. This guy firmly believed he was dead, even though he was a living, normally–functioning human being. Well, his wife persuaded him to visit a psychiatrist, who tried in vain to convince him that he was in fact alive.

Finally, the psychiatrist hit upon a plan. He showed the man medical reports and scientific evidence that dead men do not bleed. After thoroughly convincing the man that dead men do not bleed, the psychiatrist took out a pin and pricked the man’s finger. When the man saw the drop of blood trickle down his finger, his eyes bugged out. "Ha!" he cried, "Dead men do bleed after all!"

Too subtle. I love it, but too subtle.

Can you work a baseball bat into there somewhere?

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

As I was, or rather still am, trying to finish off some stuff on my computer I thought about Mousethief's post and decided to add a postcript, an experiment for y'all to do while you're making a list of what it takes to create a successful long con. It was going to be, build a couple of radiators to heat your homes, one filled with air and one with carbon dioxide, but I've found an easier one as I was putting away some pages:

Fill one hotwater bottle with carbon dioxide, one with air, one with water. Heat to get to the same temperature. Time the cooling.

I'm really glad I don't have to rely on your pin pricks to work out that I'd freeze to death very quickly in a cold winter if I relied on a radiator working to your science.

At last, the AGW hold on research is being broken, just as the Hockey Schtick was.

Yet another look at garbage in garbage out you're imposing on the rational:
quote:
Global Warming Predictions Invalidated

A new study in the journal Science has just shown that all of the climate modeling results of the past are erroneous. The IPCC's modeling cronies have just been told that the figures used for greenhouse gas forcings are incorrect, meaning none of the model results from prior IPCC reports can be considered valid. What has caused climate scientists' assumptions to go awry? Short lived aerosol particles in the atmosphere changing how greenhouse gases react in previously unsuspected ways. The result is another devastating blow to the climate catastrophists' computer generated apocalyptic fantasies.

Models are only as good as the information they are built on. GCM consist of dozens of equations written to reflect how liquids and gases, driven by energy from the Sun, move about the planet. If the coefficients used in those equations to represent the impact of various GHG and aerosols are in error, then the equations are wrong—they do not represent physical reality. If the equations are wrong then the models can not be right. Furthermore, when climate modelers tweak their playthings to match previous periods of climate variation, a practice called backcasting, they are actually proving that even an incorrect model can be made to match an arbitrary set of test data.

Since the parameters contained in the models are incorrect they should not match the test data. Tuning models to do so means that the GCM used to predict future conditions are actually incorrect models, improperly tuned! Little wonder no model managed to predict the current halt in global warming. And even if they had it would have been a blind pig finding an acorn—an incorrect prediction that just happened to match what took place in the real world. The fundamental conclusion is simple, no climate model prediction from the past thirty years can be trusted.

Be safe, enjoy the interglacial and stay skeptical Global Warming Predictions Invalidated

(my bold)

"The fundamental conclusion is simple, no climate model prediction from the past thirty years can be trusted."

Myrrh

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, you agree with the science here from NASA, when it supports your assertions, but you don't agree with NASA when they say that that Global Warming is real, etc,... You say that every one of these scientists that support agw is wrong at a fundamental level and are conned or conning us all - I don't see why you're agreeing with them now, since they're not going back on the theory.

I find it very funny that this article in Science (Yes, I read the whole thing) goes to support our position against you more than it supports yours against us.

This is how science works - theories get tweaked when new evidence is available, or further analysis suggests it's needed. That's what happened here. It's also coming from climate scientists, and not from cranks w/ a blog.

It certainly doesn't say that CO2 doesn't have the role we say it does in AGW. It just says that the coefficients for the impacts of different gasses need tweaking.

The Kyoto Protocol is 12 years old. We're not surprised if the science is tweaked in that duration. That doesn't mean that Kyoto is summarily wrong - it isn't.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

Hmm...I just looked up the authors on that article. Several of them published with Michael Mann just three weeks ago.

So, does this damn them, help him, or what?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
And as anyone who knows the Second Law of Thermodynamics would know, diffusion is effectively irreversible [snip]

I side with IBP on this one. If diffusion were irreversible in the manner you suggest, Alan, it seems to me that gas centrifuges would not be of much use in the enrichment of uranium.
OK, I'll qualify that statement. To reverse diffusion would require a reduction in the entropy of the gas, and thus would take work (increasing entropy elsewhere). Centrifuges do a lot of work seperating out uranium hexaflouride gases by mass. And, of course, industrial production of CO2 uses a considerable amount of work in compressors and condensors and other systems to extract CO2 from the atmosphere. They do this because if you take a flask of air the CO2 will not just collect at the bottom; it won't even be more concentrated at the bottom.

quote:
I think that in a column of still air, relative concentrations would vary gradually with altitude, with heavier constitutents more favored below and lighter constituents more favored above - though distinct layers with oil/water-like boundaries would not form.
In the atmosphere overall, yes there is a slight gravitional force on molecules. Gravity keeps the atmosphere close to the surface, but yes lighter molecules will be marginally less bound and slightly more abundent in the higher (much less dense) atmosphere. The molecular kinetic energy of the denser lower atmosphere (which is still about 100km thick as you noted) is more than enough to swamp that gravitational effect though.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

Simple question for Myrrh: what is air?

This is not a trick question; one sentence will do.

- Chris.

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My one contribution about Myrrh's posts. To sum her position up: almost all the scientists (not just those working in climatology) are wrong about virtually everything almost all of the time.

I don't think we should trust them about anything!

[ 17. December 2009, 07:35: Message edited by: Luigi ]

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

I'm going to post this here because it's vaguely pertinent, I've been looking for it for a while and I hope somebody might find it interesting.

It's Venus' greenhouse effect in numbers. This illustrates quite nicely the difference between our greenhouse effect and the runaway one - a factor of 15.

Fun fact: if Venus had no greenhouse effect, it's high albedo means that it would be cooler than Earth!

Planetary Energy Balance (University of Wasington Dept of Atmospheric Sciences)

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With regard to the kinetic energy of molecules in the air and the strength of gravity on them...

The molecules in air are, on average, moving at the speed of sound (330 metres per second). I understand that the speed of sound in air is actually determined by the average speed of molecules.

As a thought experiement, let's set a molecule of, say, CO2 going at that speed vertically up from sea level. Let's pretend that it hits nothing on the way up. How high is it going to get before gravity stops it?

(a) 5 metres (well above head height)
(b) 500 metres (well above the top of the Eiffel Tower)
(c) 50 kilometres (well above jet plane cruising altitude)
(d) 5000 kilometres (well above low earth orbit)

How high would you guess? The molecule moves at 330 m/s. Gravity pulls it down at a rate of 10 m/s/s. So after one second it is travelling at 320 m/s, after two at 310 m/s, after 33 seconds it has stopped and is ready to come back down to earth under the influence of gravity. By the time it gets back to see level it is travelling at 330 m/s again and it hits the ground and bounces straight back up again.

So, the answer is (c), about 50 kilometres (30 miles).

Those molecules have an awful lot of kinetic energy. They bounce off each other and exchange kinetic energy but there is no way that they can slow down enough to stop from mixing, unless you cool them down really cold, in which case they liquify anyway.

Even big molecules like vanillin and cinnamaldehyde (both of which are three times as heavy as CO2) get bounced around in the air, such is the amount of kinetic energy there. If they didn't, you wouldn't be able to smell vanilla or cinnamon.

The next question is, why doesn't all the energy get absorbed in those collisions? Why don't all the molecules slow down gradually until everything comes to a stop? The answer to that is a mixture of:
  • quantum mechanics - atoms have quantised energy levels, they cannot just lose a little bit of energy each time they hit something, any the losses and gains are in pre-determined quanta;
  • vacuum physics - the atoms are moving in a vacuum, so there is no friction;
  • elastic collisions - the collisions are perfectly elastic, or perfectly transfer energy from one atom to another with no loss;
  • constant energy input - there is a great big heat source in the sky that is constantly adding energy to the system, otherwise the kinetic energy would gradually diffuse to all atoms in the system and everything would end up at the same temperature, a couple of degrees above absolute zero (-273 degrees centigrade).

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

Saul said re the video link he posted
quote:

Luigi,

it seems to me, I may be wrong, that you don't want to hear the ''other side''? Now I need to be fair too and see ''your side''. I will try and do this.

I am please that you will try to be fair to ‘my side’ though the places where you rant about Gore or Prince Charles leave a question mark in my mind.

Saul I have never watched 'an inconvenient truth' but I did watch the 'Great Global Warming Swindle' twice as well as read copious numbers of articles by the sceptics. I haven't heard a single new argument in the past year - no matter how hard I have looked, this is because I am very familiar with the 'other sides' arguments. I did take the sceptics position seriously initially because some people who I know well, are very bright and that I respect, found it convincing.

For me to buy it I've got to accept a conspiracy theory that virtually all the scientists want to invent false trails and then pursue them. I can accept a few might be this delusional but not the international scientific community. I am open to persuasion but I would need to see something new, not one of those points that has been refuted a thousand times before and proved to be nonsense.
quote:

But if you have 30 minutes or so do watch it; IMO it is a fair and balanced view, especially where the stats. for cooling/warming are concerned and the CO2 debate.

I watched it twice and this observation totally amazed me. The majority of the clips are from 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'. You mention balanced view, I can only presume this is a typo. The makers of that documentary themselves claim that it was a polemic and these exerts are clearly polemical – the hyperbolic language is the give away. To call it balanced is to use the English language in a way that I am unfamiliar with. The opposite view point to the producers is not presented in any meaningful way.

You also said that you (we) should pay attention to experts such as these. Others have debunked the credibility of many of them. All I will add is, for me, it isn't just about how much I trust the experts it is also down to how much I trust the editors. Martin Durkin cons people into appearing on camera and then edits it to make out that they agree with him!

Finally on this point, if you watch this, would you watch 99 videos giving the counter-argument because that would give you a real feel for where this argument stands?

quote:

Also the whole climate change thing beast has developed into a massive cultural/political movement so its gone far beyond just scientific academia now; I think you'd accept that last point too wouldn't you?

Of course it has gone beyond the scientific community. If one accepts that when lots of competing / argumentative / ego-centric scientists end up agreeing on an issue that has significant implications for our affluent lifestyle, then we should probably sit up and take notice. And yes something pretty substantial probably needs to be done. However, if you believe there is no science to back up this position then all actions to do something about it are a total waste of time. Can't you see that it all depends on what you think the science is saying?

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:

quote:
The other gas that had to be watched for was carbon dioxide, which in contrast with methane, which being lighter than air collects in the roof, is heavier and thus pools on the floor. So that if you were getting down to cut the starting slot in the bottom of the coal seam, you might just drop into a pool. It was called choke damp – though that was also the name given to carbon monoxide, which could also seep out of the coal. All these gases are colorless and odorless so that without some form of detection (the canary for example, or using a candle as a test) they can lurk to catch the unsuspecting. More on Early Coal Mining

Okay, let's go through this. What do you suppose the concentrations of C02/CH4 involved here were? For fire damp, a good explosive fuel/air mix is about 5-20%. For black damp (and you could have used the brewing industry as an modern example - people are killed every year by falling into beer vats and not drowning, but suffocating on the C02 released by the yeast), let's assume the same. That's about 500 times the concentration than in open air.

Black damp does tend to collect in lower, less ventilated parts of the mine. Now, see what I did there? I suggested that by replacing the CO2 accumulating in the mine - black damp is formed by coal reacting with atmospheric O2 - with fresh air from outside with a much lower CO2 content, you're able to solve the problem.

Here's an experiment for you to carry out. Put a tablespoon of bicarb into a beaker with some vinegar. Put your hand over the beaker while the reaction takes place, because you're making CO2 and you don't want to lose it to the atmosphere. When the reaction dies down, you've got yourself a beaker of CO2.

Take a lit candle, and very carefully pour the CO2 onto the candle. The candle will go out because it's been deprived of oxygen.

The question for you is, where did that CO2 go next? One way to find out is to have two candles, one on the table, one on the floor next to it. Try it again. If the CO2 has formed an imiscible 'blob', then it will extinguish the first candle, roll off the table and onto the floor, and then extinguish the second candle.

If the CO2 is busy mixing with the atmosphere, and being diluted as it falls, it won't.

If you like you can also google the effects of radioactive argon accumulating in people's houses and giving them cancer. The solution is to ventilate the underfloor area properly so that the gas doesn't build up.

You sound like you think you're the first person to have ever discovered these things. You're not. Science works because scientists pay attention.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Yep. Perfect elasticity demonstrated yet again.

--------------------

aggg
Shipmate
# 13727

- Posted      Profile for aggg   Email aggg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rather enjoying this debate video between Monbiot and Plimer on Australian TV.

--------------------
Myrrh: please, in future refrain from replying to anything I might write

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was a debate. I caught the last of it on TV last night and Pilmer wasn't debating. He wouldn't answer questions, sounding more like a politician than a scientist.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've a degree in geology...Alan is right. You're wrong.
Proves my point, the scientists backing the AGW failed hypothesis have zilch basic understanding, even in their own fields.
No, what it proves is that you're an imbecile and, I would now argue, a troll.

You suggested we go see a mining engineer, we went to see a mining engineer, he said you were wrong, so you said he lacked basic understanding.

You are wrong, plain and simple. It has been proven to you time and time again on this thread that your pre-Dick-And-Jane 'understanding' of physics is, well, risible.

Nobody is being conned, nobody is in the pay of the lizard lords. Quite simply everyone else is right and you are not.

It has been said that the door to a bigot's mind opens outwards, so the weight of facts pressing against it only serves to close it more tightly.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

[Sigh]

IntellectByProxy

Believe me, I really appreciate how great the provocation is, but please take the personal stuff to the Hell thread. Myrrh attacks and pours scorn on arguments, which is her prerogative here. It is of course legitimate to say here that a Shipmate's arguments are stupid, or way beyond stupid. Please leave the identification of, and action against, trolls to Admin.

Here is Purg guideline 1

quote:
1. No personal attacks

We all have different opinions about weighty matters, some strongly held. Disagree with the view, not the person. The statement, "View X is stupid," is acceptable. The statement, "Person X is stupid," is not.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

- Posted      Profile for Cedd   Email Cedd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is climate change being used as an excuse to bring in a one world government?

Judging by the current shambles that is Copenhagen I would very much doubt it.

--------------------
Cedd

Churchmanship: This week I am mostly an evangelical, catholic, orthodox with both liberal and illiberal tendancies. Terms and conditions apply.

Posts: 377 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Believe me, I really appreciate how great the provocation is, but please take the personal stuff to the Hell thread.

Absolutely fair enough and I apologise. I've been here long enough to know better.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

OK, I'll qualify that statement. To reverse diffusion would require a reduction in the entropy of the gas, and thus would take work (increasing entropy elsewhere). Centrifuges do a lot of work seperating out uranium hexaflouride gases by mass. And, of course, industrial production of CO2 uses a considerable amount of work in compressors and condensors and other systems to extract CO2 from the atmosphere. They do this because if you take a flask of air the CO2 will not just collect at the bottom; it won't even be more concentrated at the bottom.

Won't be more concentrated, or won't be much more concentrated? I think the distinction between separation via centrifuge and separation via gravity in a column of still air is one of degree, not kind - after all, there are plenty of situations in which gravity does work, so why not a partial separation of what would otherwise be a homogeneous mixture of gases?
quote:

quote:
In the atmosphere overall, yes there is a slight gravitional force on molecules. Gravity keeps the atmosphere close to the surface, but yes lighter molecules will be marginally less bound and slightly more abundent in the higher (much less dense) atmosphere. The molecular kinetic energy of the denser lower atmosphere (which is still about 100km thick as you noted) is more than enough to swamp that gravitational effect though.
Some equations might help us put some numbers on the separation effect. The abstract for this article in Reviews of Modern Physics looks promising - I suspect the case of a uniform gravity field is even simpler than a centrifuge. I'll try to take a look at it this weekend when I can get to the library.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

The Daily telegraph reports that: ''Russians confirm that UK climate scientists manipulated data to exaggerate global warming''

Here is the link...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100020126/climategate-goes-serial-now-the-russians-confirm-that-uk-climate- scientists-manipulated-data-to-exaggerate-global-warming/

Saul

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, that helped! Presumably this is her? A self-employed publicist and popular science entertainer? Admittedly with a science degree (in Microbiology, no less), but no evidence of practice. Plus some links with the petrochemical industry.

Hey, I've studied microbiology. And I worked for an oil company for fourteen years. And I think I talk sense sometimes...

More seriously, I'm not sure that using credentialism to debunk pseudoscience is very effective. Partly because there is always at least one nutter with lots of degrees in the right subjects who is talking nonsense, and someone predisposed to believe nonsense will pick that up and ignore the sense.

Also lots of scientists are very cautious in making public pronouncements, and lots of them do have genuine disagreements on all sorts of points, and lots of them talk about statistics and probability so someone willing to pick and choose can easily make things look less certain than they are. (For some reason yeccies love doing this which is why many palaentologists and others have given up talking to them - they are fed up with being lied about)

So I'm not sure it helps much to insist that we only pay attention to people with X years of experience or Y level of degree.

What the denialiasers need is not a handful of friends with degrees, but to develop a genuine sense of skepticism and start thinking reflectively about what they are reading, instead of scanning Google or Wikipedia like a gullible sponge and absorbing all the bollocks and ignoring all the rest.

This nonsense about CO2 sinking out of the atmosphere is a perfect illustration. No-one who was thinking critically could believe it for more than a few minutes. The way to be cured of it is not to trust the right scientists, it is to start using common sense.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked at Myrrh's link, Global Warming Invalidated . If you scroll down far enough, you find the following comment on the blog:

"CO2 is heavier than air, it doesn´t fly up, up and away
CO2 is a trace gas in the atmosphere, it is the 0.038 per cent of it, or 3.8 parts per ten thousand.
The atmosphere, the air you know, does not have the capacity to “hold” enough heat, it only “saves” 0.001297 joules per cubic centimeter, while water , the sea you know, has 3227 times that capacity (4.186 joules).
Would you warm your feet with a bottle filled with air or filled with hot water?
The so called “Greenhouse effect” does not exist, see:
http://www.giurfa.com/gh_experiments.pdf"

To which the author of the page, Doug L. Hoffman replies:

"The greenhouse effect is misnamed. Greenhouse gases do not function in the same way a greenhouse does, by preventing convective cooling. GHG absorb and re-radiate solar energy, impeding the transfer of energy back into space. The paper “disproving” the greenhouse effect is pure twaddle, the effect is real or we would not exist (Earth would be a frozen ball)."

(my emphasis).

I can't help wondering just who made that comment.

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
What the denialiasers need is not a handful of friends with degrees, but to develop a genuine sense of skepticism and start thinking reflectively about what they are reading, instead of scanning Google or Wikipedia like a gullible sponge and absorbing all the bollocks and ignoring all the rest.

This nonsense about CO2 sinking out of the atmosphere is a perfect illustration. No-one who was thinking critically could believe it for more than a few minutes. The way to be cured of it is not to trust the right scientists, it is to start using common sense.

Unfortunately, ken, I'm not sure your style of sense is very common! If you have a science-y background - and it sounds like you do - you get used to thinking in certain ways about issues, and you develop an intuition for what is reasonable (read bullshit detector).

People without your background don't have that toolkit, and we certainly aren't born with it. Without knowing about kinetic theory and perfectly elastic collisions, "heavier things sink" does have a plausibility. It's contradicted by the facts in this case, but the facts aren't observable to the naked eye, so you have to trust someone else's report of the facts. So it all comes down to who you trust to inform you correctly, as soon as your intuition breaks down and you can't test an assertion for yourself.

I think for a lot of non-scientists (not all) that point comes sooner rather than later. Not falling for the Dunning-Kruger pitfall of imagining you know more about the subject than you do is very helpful, of course.

- Chris.

PS: This post probably belongs on the other thread, but I hope the ban of the Valar doesn't apply in the other direction!

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Saul, are you going too respond to any of my questions, or those of others? Or are you just going to regurgitate loads of links instead? It is getting annoying.

--------------------

If only.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Hey, I've studied microbiology. And I worked for an oil company for fourteen years. And I think I talk sense sometimes...

More seriously, I'm not sure that using credentialism to debunk pseudoscience is very effective. Partly because there is always at least one nutter with lots of degrees in the right subjects who is talking nonsense, and someone predisposed to believe nonsense will pick that up and ignore the sense.

You misread me, ken. I wasn't knocking the degree, simply the evidence of lack of practice.

But I do accept your general stricture. I don't normally do "ad hominem" - dealing with the arguments is more effective. But in this case, I was tempted by what I found!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

sanityman

I hadn't heard of Dunning-Kruger before. You learn something new every day. I particularly liked this quote

quote:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
IntellectByProxy

Thank you very much. I appreciated your apology and your comments.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:

The Daily telegraph reports that: ''Russians confirm that UK climate scientists manipulated data to exaggerate global warming''

Here is the link...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100020126/climategate-goes-serial-now-the-russians-confirm-that-uk-climate- scientists-manipulated-data-to-exaggerate-global-warming/

Saul

Saul, so a report from the Moscow-based Institute of Economic Analysis wants to capitalise on the trouble stirred up by the CRU email theft? How surprising. Remind me what Russia's principal export is, again.

Or if you prefer to argue the facts over the vested interests, here's an analysis of the CRU data versus a completely independent data set from the Smithsonian Institution, which was started way before AGW was recognised as an issue. The finding? The differences in the datasets for two randomly-picked sets of locations were the same to a very high degree of confidence, and both showed the same statistically-significant warming trend of around 0.54°C/century.

And another independent check here, finding that "most adjustment[sic] hardly modify the reading, and the warming and cooling adjustments end up compensating each other." In other words, the trend of the reading was not materially altered by the adjustments made.

There is one important result to come out of this: it clearly shows that the people who are throwing around allegations of fraud and corruption don't know what they're talking about. If the denialosphere had any integrity and expert knowledge, they'd have done this investigation themselves, and had the honesty to publish the results. They didn't.

- Chris.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:
sanityman

I hadn't heard of Dunning-Kruger before. You learn something new every day. I particularly liked this quote

quote:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Thanks - only found it recently myself. Of course, used indiscriminately it's just another ad hominem, but it helps explain why 80% of drivers rate themselves as above average [Smile] . That quote made me think of "The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity."

Cheers,

- Chris.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A propos of that quote, Alfred North Whitehead is reputed to have said to Bertrand Russell, "Bertie, there are two kinds of people in the world: the simpleminded, and the muddleheaded. I am muddleheaded. You, Bertie, are simpleminded."

[ 17. December 2009, 16:33: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

<Weird tangent>

sanityman

Reading that poem, I'm reminded of a classic SF short story by Damon Knight (IIRC entitled "What Rough Beast"). In it, a murderous psychopath (unique in his peaceful and law-abiding culture) is allowed to continue to live. But his body chemistry is changed so that he gives off a repellent odour (which all but he can smell), so that all are warned when he gets near. And if he seeks to attack anyone, a brain inhibitor causes him to pass out before doing anyone any harm. And so he is tolerated but ignored. The story explores his inner thoughts.

Can't imagine why that should have come to mind ...

</Weird tangent>

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016