homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Death of Dawkins forum? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Death of Dawkins forum?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Erin:
quote:
(and just wtf is up with you and analogies, anyway? Can't you ever just discuss something straight up?)
Analogies are helpfully fuzzy and come preloaded with spin.
[Killing me] A bullseye!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new ex-RD website mentioned earlier in this thread has it's own thread talking about the SoF response.

Here.

Some interesting perspectives on SoF in general, and this thread in particular. I've linked to it so we can discuss them discussing us discussing them.

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ITTWAAW: 'I Thought This Was An Anglican Website'
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Moth - the RD forum needed an atheist version of Hell.

I have never been there (yet!) but having a place to vent and let off steam is a good idea.

I don't think it does to assume it could never happen here 'tho.

If someone owns/writes the software on any forum, they can always pull the plug.

That's not to say they ever would - but there is no harm in succession planning imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Brilliant to see a theist as a mod on an atheist forum - now imagine an atheist as a mod on a theist forum"

Should we tell them about RooK? Oh wait he's an agnostic. I think.

PS: if they call me an Anglican, should I get indignant, or just let it go? Should they be making such unwarranted assumptions? I mean, aren't they evidence-based reasoning machines?

[ 28. February 2010, 21:38: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:
The new ex-RD website mentioned earlier in this thread has it's own thread talking about the SoF response.

Here.

Ummh. The most interesting thing about that thread is that (up until to the very last post) everyone assumes that the Ship is an Anglican board.

ITTWAAWS? [Eek!]

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wildrow12
Apprentice
# 15286

- Posted      Profile for Wildrow12   Email Wildrow12   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So....wait:

We are in a thread, discussing a thread, about a thread, about another forum going down, whose denizens felt insulted about our thread and thus decided to make a thread about...us?

Huh.

Posts: 14 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does that sound like a Dr. Who episode? [Paranoid]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curses.

I made the same joke as everyone else but just 10 minutes too late. [Disappointed]

Is this an example of 'group think'?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is now an apology by Richard Dawkins.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go in peace. Your sins are forgiven.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like RD is prepared to shoulder some of Josh Timonen's personal responsibility for some pretty wilful actions. Which is pretty noble, I guess, but I'm not sure it's all that wise.

I think Josh Timonen needs to take a few steps to mend some of the fences he tore down - i.e. follow RD's lead. Hope he does.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a very good article on the main magazine of the Ship at the moment, dealing with the wider picture of why the Dawkins forum (and similar sites) run into difficulty. I'd recommend a read if you haven't already.

I seem to remember something similar happening with the REjesus site which Bruce had to close down. With the best will in the world, Internet forums don't always go the way their owners would like them to. Just as well we have a resident alligator to eat anyone who threatens the future.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

PS: if they call me an Anglican, should I get indignant, or just let it go? Should they be making such unwarranted assumptions? I mean, aren't they evidence-based reasoning machines?

Is Outrage [Biased]

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
There's a very good article on the main magazine of the Ship at the moment, dealing with the wider picture of why the Dawkins forum (and similar sites) run into difficulty. I'd recommend a read if you haven't already.

I seem to remember something similar happening with the REjesus site which Bruce had to close down. With the best will in the world, Internet forums don't always go the way their owners would like them to. Just as well we have a resident alligator to eat anyone who threatens the future.

I think this is the one. Mark makes some really interesting points.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
No, because shutting everything down and deleting posts and members like he did were the acts of burning the village and salting the earth, which I already said was the biggest problem.

You "alread said that"? Where? I'm glad that you say so now. But prior to that post, I can find only two posts by you on the thread: first and second. The first one states "The biggest mistake I see here? Josh Timonen did not let people bitch about the decision. That's just what you do." Thus not letting people bitch is the main problem, rather than actually smashing RDF. And the second one says "Yes, for all values where biggest = only." Thus it merely admits that there are other problems as well, but does not correct your first post concerning what is the biggest problem. Did I miss something?

quote:
just wtf is up with you and analogies, anyway? Can't you ever just discuss something straight up?

I can and do. Perhaps you are not reading enough of my posts. However, analogies can be powerful arguing tools, as can be seen in your reaction to this one.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway John
Shipmate
# 15469

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway John   Email Stowaway John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God is good.

--------------------
Step out of the boat.

Posts: 93 | From: North Wales | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

Interesting: the moderation of the new site apparently extends only to pre-approval of threads (but not comments).

Is this that different from the way we do it? Of course, anyone can post a thread, but if it's inappropriate for the board it will be moved or closed. I think our system's better (of course [Smile] ) because of the instant gratification factor of starting something and seeing it appear immediately, but it now looks like the forum's been re-factored rather than being transformed into a police state or something.

I do think it's interesting that, in all of this, there seems to have been an inability (or lack of desire) to learn from the successes or failures of other forums that have confronted these problems before. I suppose the admission that they have things to learn about human nature might be too galling to admit? They seem to be falling back on the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, but I think "blame the Internet" is a bit like "shoot the messenger" here. It's just a bunch of tubes...

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Did I miss something?

So much more than you will ever comprehend.

1. I do not agree with their initial decision to turn their forums into blog-type discussions, with the initial submissions requiring approval. If that were proposed here I'd fight it to the bitter end. However, it is within their rights to do so and I do not believe that it heralded the end of the world.

2. Instead of announcing it and letting people blow off steam about it, they announced it, got some flak and promptly shut everything down to prevent them from having their say. That is the part that I would consider "burning down the village and salting the earth", NOT the initial decision by Richard, Josh, et. al.

In my opinion, 2 is a far greater sin than 1.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Did I miss something?

So much more than you will ever comprehend.

1. I do not agree with their initial decision to turn their forums into blog-type discussions, with the initial submissions requiring approval. If that were proposed here I'd fight it to the bitter end. However, it is within their rights to do so and I do not believe that it heralded the end of the world.

2. Instead of announcing it and letting people blow off steam about it, they announced it, got some flak and promptly shut everything down to prevent them from having their say. That is the part that I would consider "burning down the village and salting the earth", NOT the initial decision by Richard, Josh, et. al.

In my opinion, 2 is a far greater sin than 1.

I agree, but an atheist wouldn't understand the concept of sin. Has a utilitarian approach got the better of them (or merely the arbitrary way in which it was applied?)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway John
Shipmate
# 15469

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway John   Email Stowaway John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dawkins seems shocked that his 'stirring up strife in people's minds and between communities has come home to roost.

Just a couple of his choice moments of tolerance and understanding...'religious education is a form of child abuse'. Catholicism and Anglicanism are 'a virus'.
Goebells would approve.

Why can't people see through him?

--------------------
Step out of the boat.

WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

Interesting: the moderation of the new site apparently extends only to pre-approval of threads (but not comments).

Is this that different from the way we do it? Of course, anyone can post a thread, but if it's inappropriate for the board it will be moved or closed. I think our system's better (of course [Smile] ) because of the instant gratification factor of starting something and seeing it appear immediately, but it now looks like the forum's been re-factored rather than being transformed into a police state or something.

- Chris.

But when a thread on here is closed or moved, it's generally still available, and the hosts usually give a reason for moving/closing it. On the RD site, they seem to be saying that they only want to discuss Approved Topics - it remains to be seen how wide a net that is, but it's kind of coming from the opposite direction than many forums (fora?) online.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect RD wants the forum to discuss only serious matters, such as befit a rationalist board. He doesn't want chit-chat about personal matters, or games, or other light-hearted pursuits.

From my fairly extensive reading on using bulletin boards in education (I have been researching it lately) he is probably wrong in thinking this will work well. University students, at any rate, have been shown to be rather resistant to discussing serious matters online with people they do not know. This, I suspect, is why successful forums become a community. Until people can in some way relate to those they discuss with, they are unlikely to have discussions of real depth. The fluffy bunny stuff (and the wit in Hell) are actually essential in forming a serious discussion board.

This is not really surprising. Human beings are social animals, and we tend towards creating societies.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway John
Shipmate
# 15469

quote:
I suspect RD wants the forum to discuss only serious matters, such as befit a rationalist board. He doesn't want chit-chat about personal matters, or games, or other light-hearted pursuits.
Well I would question that as a motive Moth because I don't find Dawkins to be that rational. Are phrases from his own lips like 'Religious education is a form of child abuse' and catholicism and anglicanism are 'a virus' the language of serious debate or the words of a propagandist?

My guess is that he wants a clear out of the 'geek' / 'too much time on their hands' element from his website. Is it me or does this have echoes of a kind of night of the long knives? The guy has lost credibility in intellectual circles due to the thug/bully element he's attracted.

People should analyse HIS rhetoric a little more closely. He's a man with a hatred of God, religion and religious types. He wants to see the annihilation of religion so there can be another experiment with a secular utopia. Presumably with him as one of the big players.

Let's call it 'the Dawkins Delusion'.

--------------------
Step out of the boat.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That is the part that I would consider "burning down the village and salting the earth", NOT the initial decision by Richard, Josh, et. al.

Well, concerning the practical procedure as things now have developed, I agree. For I guess that if RD et al. had explained and ameliorated their measures in the manner of RD's recent apology (link above) from the start, then the villagers themselves would not have considered their lord's action as "burning down the village and salting the earth". But rather as a modernization attempt with perhaps some questionable aesthetics and unintended negative consequences. In that sense indeed the procedure followed has now become the "biggest problem", pragmatically speaking.

But there is a more principle point here. This conflict (likely) got resolved in a kind of "owner vs. union" manner. Namely, RD et al. became aware that if too many pissed off RDF members would stop "working" (creating web content) for them in future, then it would seriously hurt their own "bottom line" (publicity for RD). So they changed tune and to some extent what they were doing. However, this is still focusing just on RD and what he does with what he owns. The members of RDF are only important as far as their reaction threatens the goals of RD.

But I think forums, by their participatory structure, invite members to think that what is important is them, not the legal owner. I think this is the reason why members put so much effort and time into them for free. So when the legal owner toys around with the forums, he is basically destroying the very illusion that made the success of the forums possible in the first place. I think what is wrong about all this is not that the members let themselves be fooled, but rather that legally they are operating under an illusion. I think the members are right in their feelings here, and the law is wrong (at least to some debatable extent). Basically, if someone fosters a community of people for his own purposes, then at some stage that community gathers some rights of its own, quite apart from those purposes.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway John:
quote:
Well I would question that as a motive Moth because I don't find Dawkins to be that rational. Are phrases from his own lips like 'Religious education is a form of child abuse' and catholicism and anglicanism are 'a virus' the language of serious debate or the words of a propagandist?

My guess is that he wants a clear out of the 'geek' / 'too much time on their hands' element from his website. Is it me or does this have echoes of a kind of night of the long knives? The guy has lost credibility in intellectual circles due to the thug/bully element he's attracted.

People should analyse HIS rhetoric a little more closely. He's a man with a hatred of God, religion and religious types. He wants to see the annihilation of religion so there can be another experiment with a secular utopia. Presumably with him as one of the big players.

Let's call it 'the Dawkins Delusion'.

What a tragedy for RD that he failed to get a cabinet position in Erich Honneker's government. He would have been a real ornament to the most successful atheist state.

Terry Eagleton considers Dawkins has no basic understanding of the nature of religion or God. I am dubious if Dawkins really appreciates the nature of Darwinian evolution (particulalry when applied to societal structures).

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I think forums, by their participatory structure, invite members to think that what is important is them, not the legal owner. I think this is the reason why members put so much effort and time into them for free. So when the legal owner toys around with the forums, he is basically destroying the very illusion that made the success of the forums possible in the first place. I think what is wrong about all this is not that the members let themselves be fooled, but rather that legally they are operating under an illusion. I think the members are right in their feelings here, and the law is wrong (at least to some debatable extent). Basically, if someone fosters a community of people for his own purposes, then at some stage that community gathers some rights of its own, quite apart from those purposes.

I agree to some extent, however, I contest the assumption that an individual or foundation must maintain a forum it has decided it no longer wants. If Simon were to wake up tomorrow and say, "you know what? Fuck this shit" he would be under no obligation -- legally, ethically or morally -- to continue to host this forum. The community is welcome to carry on, they just get to do it on their own dime from that point forward. Neither Simon nor Dawkins is under any obligation to fund something they don't see any value in.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway John:
dawkins seems shocked that his 'stirring up strife in people's minds and between communities has come home to roost.

Just a couple of his choice moments of tolerance and understanding...'religious education is a form of child abuse'. Catholicism and Anglicanism are 'a virus'.
Goebells would approve.

Why can't people see through him?

I think that a good number -- if not nearly all - of these "brights" either agree with him or feverishly want him to be right on just those questions. Which places one at a disadvantage for sniffing out shysters.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what would robin do then, poor thing?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
... As for the post, I’d be amazed if someone dared post anything under Dawkins name without his prior knowledge and approval....

Tubbs

Does anybody else not see the reference to pseudopigraphy in all this and the Pauline writings?

If its rational for somebody in and around 90AD to take Paul's name when writing 2 Thessalonians, how come its not rational for somebody to do this for Dawkins? It seems our sense of ownership of our own voice is a lot less nuanced then it used to be.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
... As for the post, I’d be amazed if someone dared post anything under Dawkins name without his prior knowledge and approval....

Tubbs

Does anybody else not see the reference to pseudopigraphy in all this and the Pauline writings?

If its rational for somebody in and around 90AD to take Paul's name when writing 2 Thessalonians, how come its not rational for somebody to do this for Dawkins? It seems our sense of ownership of our own voice is a lot less nuanced then it used to be.

Because Dawkins is alive and could sue the socks off you?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Less nuanced? Or more concrete? Frankly when it comes to someone speaking in my name, f*** nuance.

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, its interesting how many of us on here, including myself, who believe some of the Pauline letters are pseudopigraphical get somewhat perturbed about people taking our own voices over.

That's a strange intellectual juxtaposition.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the whole sorry mess is because Dawkins has 'people' to do all sorts of things without having to trouble himself about them?

Why would he bother to write his own post to the forumistas any more than he would bother to read the forums or post there?

I found a touching thank you letter to RD posted on one thread by a newbie followed by a series of posts from other people explaining (in what felt like hushed tones) that the poster must understand that RD would never actually read his post as he didn't venture onto the forums.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least one of them believes in resurrection.

He says -

"But never mind, we ex-RDF'ers will rise again"

[Two face]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But, its interesting how many of us on here, including myself, who believe some of the Pauline letters are pseudopigraphical get somewhat perturbed about people taking our own voices over.

You mean I should feel the same on Paul's behalf that I feel on mine? Why?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
If Simon were to wake up tomorrow and say, "you know what? Fuck this shit" he would be under no obligation -- legally, ethically or morally -- to continue to host this forum. The community is welcome to carry on, they just get to do it on their own dime from that point forward.

Well, I basically agree. However, I think sufficient prior warning would be due, so that in fact the community has a fair chance to organize itself in order to take over. And then there would have to be enough cooperation from the original owner to actually make it possible in a practical sense (handing over passwords or whatever).

--------------------

# 3200

quote:
quote:

You mean I should feel the same on Paul's behalf that I feel on mine? Why?
Oh, I don't know...intellectual purity. [Biased]

I see your point about self though.

But, as for our thoughts on others, those who mock Dawkins for maybe having people write stuff for him may want to ask if there isn't something a tad hypocritical about this point.

We accept that biblical pieces that enlighten and indicate Christianity may not be written by the suppossed writer but that for somebody in modern times to do the same thing is intellectual hypocrisy?

That's a bit different, don't ya think?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That depends. If people are writing for Dawkins with his permission, it's one situation. He might be lazy. He might not trust himself not to piss people off again because of his anger. If they are writing in his name without his permission, there might be fat flying in Dawkins Headquarters, but it might be kept in-house.

If people wrote in Paul's name while he was alive, he might have been pissed off, or he might have been okay with it if, as I have been informed, that that sort of thing happened in those days and he approved of the writer, no big deal. It might have been short hand for (School of) Paul. If he were dead, maybe all bets were off and people expected followers to keep his POV alive under his moniker. Those days are not these days.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
However, I think sufficient prior warning would be due, so that in fact the community has a fair chance to organize itself in order to take over. And then there would have to be enough cooperation from the original owner to actually make it possible in a practical sense (handing over passwords or whatever).

Which is why I think shutting everything down because he got his delicate baby feelings hurt was the bigger problem. They gave 30 days' notice -- not exceptionally generous, but at least some notice. He should have manned the hell up, taken what was coming, and let the community use the forum as a staging area for their next move. It cracks me the hell up that Dawkins took offense to someone calling Josh a suppurating whatever -- here, that would have earned a shitload of [Overused] .

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Less nuanced? Or more concrete? Frankly when it comes to someone speaking in my name, f*** nuance.

[Killing me] [Overused]

Og, even if Paul didn't write all the letters and some were written on his behalf and using his name, I'd assume that this was done with Paul's knowledge and permission. Paul appeared to have quite a temper. Someone putting his name on something he didn't approve of would be likely to feel the full force of it.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It cracks me the hell up that Dawkins took offense to someone calling Josh a suppurating whatever -- here, that would have earned a shitload of [Overused] .

I can even think of one or two for whom earning that level of vituperation would have been the equivalent of winning an Oscar.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I think if that insult were spoken in a Hell thread here, it would be nominated for a Simmie. It was well-crafted and well-delivered.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with Richard Dawkins is that he is an evangelical.

His holier-than-thou preachiness makes one think immediately that the other side must have a point. (That was certainly the attitude of a hardened set of philosophy student agnostics I encountered).

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just trying to get my head around the concept of bells-n-smells atheism.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Wardman 2000
Apprentice
# 15515

- Posted      Profile for Matt Wardman 2000   Email Matt Wardman 2000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been a fascinating thread.

From the very top
>The Cossacks always work for the Czar.

... but the Praetorian Guard sometimes killed the Emperor :-).

My take on where this came from is that the underlying cause may be RD spreading himself too thinly to have time to devote to manage the diverse set of initiatives he has created, and that has perhaps not put in place an organisation/secretariat capable of doing that on his behalf.

There may be some stuff in there about thinkers, authors and academics not usually being good managers.

I think that the “overstretch” theory is supported by the slightly hurried nature and lack of attention to certain details of the Non-Believers Giving Aid launch, where they didn’t have the UK tax setup properly supported until several days after they launched.

He wanted to create a movement, which he did, and that developed its own character. And perhaps it may “just growed” beyond his wildest dreams.

Matt

--------------------
Politics: http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/
Local Blogs: http://www.nutshell.org.uk/
Professional: http://www.mattwardman.co.uk/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mattwardman

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
I am just trying to get my head around the concept of bells-n-smells atheism.

I think he has to be a low-church atheist. Low-church Christians are the only ones he acknowledges to exist, to where if you're not one of them, or at least on board with them, he denies you're a Christian at all (apparently because the mindless arguments he has only work against them).

Unless, perversely, you're the ABC.

--------------------

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Matt Wardman 2000 [snip] Non-Believers Giving Aid launch, where they didn’t have the UK tax setup properly supported until several days after they launched. [snip]
Matt [/QB]

Wow, what a weird site. Where did RD get the idea that you have to be religious to be good from? There are dozens of secular charities out there sending aid to Haiti.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Phos Hilaron:
quote:
posted by Matt Wardman 2000 [snip] Non-Believers Giving Aid launch, where they didn’t have the UK tax setup properly supported until several days after they launched. [snip]
Matt

Wow, what a weird site. Where did RD get the idea that you have to be religious to be good from? There are dozens of secular charities out there sending aid to Haiti. [/QB]
Probably it's because widespread charity is one of theism's better qualities, and he wanted it to be abundantly clear that we don't have the corner on that market. That, and he might truly feel that aspect of his own secularist movement needed some bumping up to make it a positive whole with a specifically assigned part for social conscience.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, a number of Shipmates get an honourable mention here (scroll down) and WhyNotSmile gets an invite.

Gurdur's blog is a bit of a find, I reckon.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016