homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Death of Dawkins forum? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Death of Dawkins forum?
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Low-church Christians are the only ones he acknowledges to exist, to where if you're not one of them, or at least on board with them, he denies you're a Christian at all (apparently because the mindless arguments he has only work against them).

Unless, perversely, you're the ABC.

Fantastic. From this we can assume that you and I either:
  • Don't exist
  • Are the Archbishop of Canturbury
Rational logic is a wonderful thing [Killing me]

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RD did once say inb a Sunday colour supplement that although he was opposed to religion he approved of the vicar umpiring the village cricket match. He also has a sneaking regard for the Book of Common Prayer.

So he's there in all the essentials.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Well, a number of Shipmates get an honourable mention here (scroll down) and WhyNotSmile gets an invite.

Gurdur's blog is a bit of a find, I reckon.

Aw. [Hot and Hormonal] I never get invited to things.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:

Indeed it is. You should try it.

Conclude that he doesn't think we're "real" Christians.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
RD did once say inb a Sunday colour supplement that although he was opposed to religion he approved of the vicar umpiring the village cricket match. He also has a sneaking regard for the Book of Common Prayer.

So he's there in all the essentials.

I have heard him admit to showing up at, and liking, the parish church's carol service. I think he tried to explain it off as folk culture.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dear God! he could be a C of E vicar!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Wardman 2000
Apprentice
# 15515

- Posted      Profile for Matt Wardman 2000   Email Matt Wardman 2000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
>Dear God! he could be a C of E vicar!

I think there may be something in that. RD is reported as personable and solicitous 1 on 1, but is clearly more than a little polemical in public, with the full range of rhetorical tricks and sharp elbows.

I'm reminded of certain prominent "Protestant!!!" spokesclergy from the North-East, but with a greater amount of polemic.

And one thing that has surprised me in researching this affair is the number of times he says something, then apologises or calls it "mischevious" and backpedals slightly having already done the damage, even in the national press.

Example: consider RD's "'A clergyman in charge of education for the country's leading scientific organisation - it's a Monty Python sketch.'"

A couple of days later he said this in the New Scientist:
"Perhaps I was a little uncharitable to liken the appointment of a vicar as the Royal Society's Education Director to a Monty Python sketch".

And there are a *lot* of these occurrences in public and in website conversation, which is also public - but I'm not sure RD really gets the Net. I think it's a pattern.

I'd prescribe a Secretary with teeth and a big stick.

--------------------
Politics: http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/
Local Blogs: http://www.nutshell.org.uk/
Professional: http://www.mattwardman.co.uk/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mattwardman

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
quote:

Dear God! he could be a C of E vicar!
Sounds more like John Major, or quite a few members of the Prayer Book Society.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:

Indeed it is. You should try it.

Conclude that he doesn't think we're "real" Christians.

OK. So he is suggesting that we are "complex"*, or possibly "irrational" Christians. I can live with that.

After all, art is too non-rational for RD to suggest we are "surreal".

3F

*Quarternions are an obviously heretical back water as they lead no where.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
epepke
Apprentice
# 15525

- Posted      Profile for epepke   Email epepke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings. I was pointed to this forum and thread by a very nice fellow named jerome. I could not easily find an introductions thread, and I'd be obliged if someone could point me to one. If there is none, I'll just jump right in.
Posts: 3 | From: Kissimme, Florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi epepke and welcome

Thanks for joining. If you haven't already done so, it will probably be worth your while to look at the FAQs and the 10 Commandments. The latter link also gives you a link to the guidelines for the separate boards.

Hope you enjoy your time here. This thread is a bit "played out" pro tem, but please feel free to post on it anything from your own perspective or experience. Personally, I've enjoyed reading jerome's stuff (there are links earlier in the thread).

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by epepke:
Greetings. I was pointed to this forum and thread by a very nice fellow named jerome. I could not easily find an introductions thread, and I'd be obliged if someone could point me to one. If there is none, I'll just jump right in.

Welcome! There's a thread for introducing yourself here but it's by no means compulsory.

You should go to the Purgatory board and read the "10 commandments", but as long as you get those, it's quite permitted to dive into the fray.

ETA cross post with big host person.....

[ 10. March 2010, 16:20: Message edited by: lowlands_boy ]

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
epepke
Apprentice
# 15525

- Posted      Profile for epepke   Email epepke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the welcome.
Posts: 3 | From: Kissimme, Florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016